Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...387388389390391392393394395396397...LastNext
Current Page: 392 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 01:01

georgelicks
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me
People loudly trash all post-Tattoo Stones output then wonder why they are scared to put anything new out. I'd be hesitant to release anything if my own fans acted like that. If you didn't like Bang, Bridges, Steel Wheels or Voodoo, why do you care what they do next?

A very good question indeed, some people think that SW is sterile and anemic, VL is too long, B2B is uneven, the 4 tracks on 40 Licks are lame, ABB is poor and long, the 2 new songs on GRRR are trash, B&L is boring, Mick's latest songs are the worst thing ever...but they demand new material everyday and it must sound like something from Exile or Sticky Fingers of course, because we are still in 1972 and not 2019-20.

With that kind of fans and response to the new stuff, there's no surprise with the lack of new material.

I appreciate these two comments so much. Mick Jagger even said a while ago that fans don't want to hear the new songs.

Jagger in 2013: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today. "They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

When I saw them at MetLife back in August, I was excited to hear Slipping Away. It's one of my dad's favorite Stones songs. I noticed people heading to the concessions. The woman I was talking to in the row below me said, "I don't know this song." She claimed to be a huge Stones fan though. She also said, "I'm more of a STICKY FINGERS type of girl." That goes to show there are more people who would rather hear the classics over and over again than something they're unfamiliar with. Myself, I love hearing new material, but most of the people who go to see them are people who are looking to hear the older classics.

It's not just fans who talk poorly of their post-TATTOO YOU work, it's the critics too. So to the people who say the Stones "need" a new album and complain that they're not getting one so quickly, remember you're probably only one in a couple thousand of millions of Stones fans who are DYING for new material.

Mick also said this in 2005:

" If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits.
People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough".

After that quote he released ABB which was their worst selling studio album in the US with no hits on radio and the album barely selling GOLD with a huge tour behind it.

Their US sales in the US were down this way:
Steel Wheels - 2.5 million
Voodoo Lounge - 2.4 million
Bridges To Babylon - 1.4 million
A Bigger Bang - 600k

ABB sold less than half of B2B which already sold almost half of VL, and we're not counting Blue and Lonesome which it's from the streaming era, but it sold half of ABB in the US too (350k).

The general audience is not interested and Mick lost interest too.

Exactly my point. You have to look at it from the Jagger/Richards point of view. People don't understand the time and effort it takes to go in to make an album. The Rolling Stones are in their mid to late 70's. They don't feel like going into the studio for months at a time anymore to make an album that probably won't sell close to anything that mainstream artists are selling.

So they're doing it in increments. While The Rolling Stones are still here, they're glory days are long gone. Enjoy them while they're still here, performing for us every year. Be lucky they're actually going into the studio to write and record almost 60 years after they first started. We will get a new album at some point. People who continuously complain that it's taking too long are just wasting their time.

There will be a final Rolling Stones album. You'll get it when you get it. Why? Because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards said so.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 15, 2019 01:49

JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me
People loudly trash all post-Tattoo Stones output then wonder why they are scared to put anything new out. I'd be hesitant to release anything if my own fans acted like that. If you didn't like Bang, Bridges, Steel Wheels or Voodoo, why do you care what they do next?

A very good question indeed, some people think that SW is sterile and anemic, VL is too long, B2B is uneven, the 4 tracks on 40 Licks are lame, ABB is poor and long, the 2 new songs on GRRR are trash, B&L is boring, Mick's latest songs are the worst thing ever...but they demand new material everyday and it must sound like something from Exile or Sticky Fingers of course, because we are still in 1972 and not 2019-20.

With that kind of fans and response to the new stuff, there's no surprise with the lack of new material.

I appreciate these two comments so much. Mick Jagger even said a while ago that fans don't want to hear the new songs.

Jagger in 2013: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today. "They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

When I saw them at MetLife back in August, I was excited to hear Slipping Away. It's one of my dad's favorite Stones songs. I noticed people heading to the concessions. The woman I was talking to in the row below me said, "I don't know this song." She claimed to be a huge Stones fan though. She also said, "I'm more of a STICKY FINGERS type of girl." That goes to show there are more people who would rather hear the classics over and over again than something they're unfamiliar with. Myself, I love hearing new material, but most of the people who go to see them are people who are looking to hear the older classics.

It's not just fans who talk poorly of their post-TATTOO YOU work, it's the critics too. So to the people who say the Stones "need" a new album and complain that they're not getting one so quickly, remember you're probably only one in a couple thousand of millions of Stones fans who are DYING for new material.

" If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits.
People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough".

After that quote he released ABB which was their worst selling studio album in the US with no hits on radio and the album barely selling GOLD with a huge tour behind it.

A Bigger Bang - 600k

ABB sold less than half of B2B which already sold almost half of VL, and we're not counting Blue and Lonesome which it's from the streaming era, but it sold half of ABB in the US too (350k).

Exactly my point. You have to look at it from the Jagger/Richards point of view. People don't understand the time and effort it takes to go in to make an album. The Rolling Stones are in their mid to late 70's. They don't feel like going into the studio for months at a time anymore to make an album that probably won't sell close to anything that mainstream artists are selling.

So they're doing it in increments. While The Rolling Stones are still here, they're glory days are long gone. Enjoy them while they're still here, performing for us every year. Be lucky they're actually going into the studio to write and record almost 60 years after they first started. We will get a new album at some point. People who continuously complain that it's taking too long are just wasting their time.

There will be a final Rolling Stones album. You'll get it when you get it. Why? Because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards said so.

A new album will be released at some point, but they want good stuff this time and they don't want to throw pointless albums all the time, the Stones have a reputation to keep and a long string of Top 5-10 albums since 1964.

Many of their contemporaries are releasing albums all the time with lackuster sales, most recent ones were Neil Young (#46 - out of the chart in week 2) and Van Morrison (#57 - out of the chart in week 2), the Stones won't do that.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 15, 2019 03:18

georgelicks
A new album will be released at some point, but they want good stuff this time and they don't want to throw pointless albums all the time, the Stones have a reputation to keep and a long string of Top 5-10 albums since 1964.

Many of their contemporaries are releasing albums all the time with lackuster sales, most recent ones were Neil Young (#46 - out of the chart in week 2) and Van Morrison (#57 - out of the chart in week 2), the Stones won't do that.

And that's why they not only want good stuff this time, but also wait for the perfect opportunity to release it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2019 03:37

JordyLicks96
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

You must know that Mick and Keith talk out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed. They change their opinion all the time. The Stones don't personally give a shit what you and a couple hundred people on IORR think. They're the ones performing in front of a stadium a thousands of people. You know what that feels like to play your new songs and have people head to the bathrooms or get another beer?

I don't blame them either for not wanting to put out a new album when people's responses are so negative. Some of you SHIT on their more recent work but cry because they haven't released any original material in recent years. Than you waste your time on here thinking your complaints will get through to them.

Just be lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year. In due time you'll get your new album so you can just shit on it too because it's not what you wanted....

Lol...whoa settle down there jordy! I know it must be frustrating to be a fan of a band that hasn't released new/original material in 15 years - most of us feel the same frustration, but you sort of get used to it after such a long drought.

You said yourself that it's not just the fans that shit on their "recent"/"post-TATTOO YOU" work, but "it's the critics too". As a visual artist myself, not sure how or why anyone could possibly blame fans and critics opinions as the reason for the Stones not being a creative band and making new records. It never stopped Neil Young and Bob Dylan (to name two) from releasing material that was considered crap from fans and critics, though Dylan is long overdue for an album of originals. Most artists worth their salt (whether musical, visual, or whatever) continue to move forward and create constantly whether fans or critics like their work or not - it's what they do.

As for the supposed new album, as I've stated several times in this long and dusty thread, I remain very hopeful and optimistic. Coming off of the covers album Blue and Lonesome which had great production, along with Keith's heartfelt Crosseyed Heart, seems they could combine the vibe of those two releases and come up with a great new album. Will it match the quality of Exile, etc.? Highly doubtful (i.e. impossible). But there's a very good chance it could rank up there with their last truly great album Tattoo You.

Regarding Mick and Keith talking out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed, one only has to read through this thread to see the evidence. One minute Keith says the new album is "coming along great, almost there", and the next he says "I don't know, a long ways to go".

As for just being "lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year", yes we all should feel very lucky. Was stunned when Mick had heart problems, but was overjoyed when he qucikly recovered. Went to see them four times this summer, and all the shows were fantastic! Looking forward to the next leg as I'll be sure to see at least a few more, and whether or not there's a new album doesn't really matter to me, though of course it would be nice. The Stones are coasting in to the sunset of their very long careers, and I'm happy to be along for the ride. That doesn't mean that I'll love or even like a new album of theirs (though I've always liked at least a couple tunes from these latter era albums), but it would be nice to see them add to their catalogue before it's all over because that's what artists do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-15 03:40 by Hairball.

Date: November 15, 2019 04:05

georgelicks
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

A Bigger Bang - 600k

So are you saying their feelings were hurt because of the poor sales, and it made them reevaulate their entire professional careers as the "greatest rock and roll band in the world" to the point they no longer want to create new music?
If it's true, it didn't stop Keith from releasing Crosseyed Heart, and Mick working with Superheavy, releasing Getta Grip, etc., so maybe they're feeling confident again?
With a new album in the works, hopefully they don't refuse to finish or release it due to an inferiority complex, and the fear it might not be that great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2019 04:11

GetYerAngie
JordyLicks96
Palace Revolution 2000
after 390 pages whats is the consensus of the IORR minds?
Yes, they will put out one more album of originals?
Or, no - won't happen?

Of course there will be one more album of originals! They wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't going to happen. Sure, there have been plenty of other older groups who have put out albums in recent years without any issue, but people need to remember this is still "The Rolling Stones" we're talking about here. They're still looked at highly to put out quality material, even if it has been very few far and in between since 1989.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on this album knowing it will be their last. With that in mind, like Don Was stated recently, they want to make sure it's a GREAT album. If they want to take their sweet ass time to make sure this album is not just a throwaway after all these years without an album of originals, than by all means. I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2020 feels like the year it'll come out, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

This is how I believe the next year will play out:

Work on the new album next month, December 2019 or early 2020 for a few weeks.
Another tour in mid-2020.
Mixing and Overdubbing for the new album Summer 2020.
New album out in late 2020 - early 2021.

My guess would be that the album will be released just before the tour begins. Late spring or something. It's also about storytelling. After the december-session or after a january or february-session Keith will be interviewed and say how amazingly inspired they suddenly happened to be and that it's their best since Exile. Suddenly the magic was there.
I suspect that the new album is almost finished by now.

I doubt that the next tour will be a plain greatest hits-tour.

IF this supposed new LP is finished and release pre-tour, the tour will be a plain greatest-hits tour... with one new song. It would be impressive if two new songs were played.

That's probably as much as they'll dare to play from it. The rest will be HOT ROCKS/HONK... er, REWIND.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 04:24

Be honest, though: If you could choose for 2020 between the recording and release of a new Stones album or another new leg of the never-ending 50 & Counting tour, you'd choose the tour every time.

Date: November 15, 2019 05:10

As for the thought that they really want this one to be great which is the reason for it taking so long....
Has there ever been an album they worked on where they didn't want it to be great?
Pre-A Bigger Bang release, it was all positive from the band:

"There is a certain feeling on this one, an excitement. There were no huge obstacles to overcome, like, What about that tuba part?
These songs lend themselves to live work. They are beautifully ready to play, and everybody's ready to play them". - Keith

And from Mick, comparing it to Exile and saying nothing is wrong with it:
"The record company felt (the album) was too long. But I said, What's the favorite Rolling Stones album of all time? - Well, Exile On Main Street. - There, you see? Exile.
And how long is that?- It's over an hour. - And the problem is? - Uh, nothing".

He also said "When you do these songs, and I think we're pretty exicited about this record, we think there's really good things on it, and you want people to hear it"

So now they're working on a new album for eternity, and it's a different situation because they want it to be great? As great as they thought Bigger Bang was?
You can't force greatness, and seems the longer they take, the worse it might actually turn out to be. Building up people's expectations for a "really great album", and then not being able to meet their own expectations.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 15, 2019 05:19

Hairball
So are you saying their feelings were hurt because of the poor sales, and it made them reevaulate their entire professional careers as the "greatest rock and roll band in the world" to the point they no longer want to create new music?
If it's true, it didn't stop Keith from releasing Crosseyed Heart, and Mick working with Superheavy, releasing Getta Grip, etc., so maybe they're feeling confident again?

All stuff released without "Rolling Stones" name on it, solo stuff is not Rolling Stones and yes, after ABB, the band almost retired from the studio, no reason to record new stuff when you sell half of your previous albums, if the general audience is not interested, then the Stones are not interested too.

Date: November 15, 2019 05:33

georgelicks
Hairball

All stuff released without "Rolling Stones" name on it, solo stuff is not Rolling Stones and yes, after ABB, the band almost retired from the studio, no reason to record new stuff when you sell half of your previous albums, if the general audience is not interested, then the Stones are not interested too.

Evidently they've had a change of heart, or have they?
At least they released Blue and Lonesome (Grammy winner), so maybe they're feeling confident again?
Time will tell....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2019 07:13

Keef said he was contemplating retirement
before Jordan talked him back into the studio for Crosseyed …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 07:21

Hairball
JordyLicks96
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

You must know that Mick and Keith talk out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed. They change their opinion all the time. The Stones don't personally give a shit what you and a couple hundred people on IORR think. They're the ones performing in front of a stadium a thousands of people. You know what that feels like to play your new songs and have people head to the bathrooms or get another beer?

I don't blame them either for not wanting to put out a new album when people's responses are so negative. Some of you SHIT on their more recent work but cry because they haven't released any original material in recent years. Than you waste your time on here thinking your complaints will get through to them.

Just be lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year. In due time you'll get your new album so you can just shit on it too because it's not what you wanted....

Lol...whoa settle down there jordy! I know it must be frustrating to be a fan of a band that hasn't released new/original material in 15 years - most of us feel the same frustration, but you sort of get used to it after such a long drought.

You said yourself that it's not just the fans that shit on their "recent"/"post-TATTOO YOU" work, but "it's the critics too". As a visual artist myself, not sure how or why anyone could possibly blame fans and critics opinions as the reason for the Stones not being a creative band and making new records. It never stopped Neil Young and Bob Dylan (to name two) from releasing material that was considered crap from fans and critics, though Dylan is long overdue for an album of originals. Most artists worth their salt (whether musical, visual, or whatever) continue to move forward and create constantly whether fans or critics like their work or not - it's what they do.

As for the supposed new album, as I've stated several times in this long and dusty thread, I remain very hopeful and optimistic. Coming off of the covers album Blue and Lonesome which had great production, along with Keith's heartfelt Crosseyed Heart, seems they could combine the vibe of those two releases and come up with a great new album. Will it match the quality of Exile, etc.? Highly doubtful (i.e. impossible). But there's a very good chance it could rank up there with their last truly great album Tattoo You.

Regarding Mick and Keith talking out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed, one only has to read through this thread to see the evidence. One minute Keith says the new album is "coming along great, almost there", and the next he says "I don't know, a long ways to go".

As for just being "lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year", yes we all should feel very lucky. Was stunned when Mick had heart problems, but was overjoyed when he qucikly recovered. Went to see them four times this summer, and all the shows were fantastic! Looking forward to the next leg as I'll be sure to see at least a few more, and whether or not there's a new album doesn't really matter to me, though of course it would be nice. The Stones are coasting in to the sunset of their very long careers, and I'm happy to be along for the ride. That doesn't mean that I'll love or even like a new album of theirs (though I've always liked at least a couple tunes from these latter era albums), but it would be nice to see them add to their catalogue before it's all over because that's what artists do.

Lol! I always get deep into something I'm passionate about. These guys mean the whole world to me. It's the biggest connection I have with my dad. He gets all Stones info from me at this point. I love researching their history and current info. The two of us will go nuts over a new album of originals. Can't wait to sit down with him and listen to it when it finally comes out. smiling smiley

Date: November 15, 2019 07:59

Heck except for one or two tracks
Dylan hasn't done anything great since Blood …
now what year was that ???????????

ROCKMAN

Date: November 15, 2019 08:03

For your sake jordy (and Ian Billen of course!), I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
And if it does ever happen, I sincerely hope it's a good one that all/most Stones fans can enjoy.

Date: November 15, 2019 08:14

Rockman
Heck except for one or two tracks
Dylan hasn't done anything great since Blood …
now what year was that ???????????

lol...yet he continued to release them on a regular basis through thick and thin, no matter what the critics or fans thought about them.

The covers albums Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong were both fantastic from start to finish, and set the stage for the three time Grammy Award winning Time Out of Mind....one of his greatest albums ever.
Maybe the Grammy winning Blue and Lonesome covers album will provide a similar result for the Stones new album of originals if and when it's ever released? Album of the Year Grammy...would be a nice way to ride off in to the sunset.

Date: November 15, 2019 09:50

Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong
average blues covers albums but cute that maybe
they shone a light on some of those
great blues artist …. I mean who could
top Frank Hutchison or Blind Willie …
Time Outta ….. frankly I find it one of the most
depressing albums ever … but having said that
I can hang out with Highlands for days and days …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2019 11:35

@JordyLicks96 - you're young and not computer challenged so please STOP with the hideous quoting that makes these threads impossible to read on a smartphone, thanks !

@stone66 - actually I'd be more interested in an album...with a tour at the end of the year like they used to do ;-)

As for "perceived success" Macca managed to get a #1 album last year with clever timing and marketing (and yes Georgelicks it dropped out of the charts in a hurry) but at the end of the day he got "his first #1 since ToW in 1982" to quote the latest piece on him in Bilboard [www.billboard.com] - point is the Stones could also get that #1 especially after 15 years without an album. Some of Mick's snippets were pretty exciting too, not so much "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" but that harmonica one sounded promising.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 15, 2019 13:23

They key to studio album happiness in these latter days is to keep your expectations tempered.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 15, 2019 13:59

Wouldn’t be shocked if they’re going thru out takes since 1971. The Abkko stuff belongs to Klein family. They’ll probably release 50th anniversary stuff with bonus material from 1971 onwards so the money machine still generates income for the off spring when they’re all gone. Let’s say 5 tracks for every studio album since 1971.
Hoping they actually have recorded a lot of stuff. Just need 18 great songs to make 2 killer albums. Boys, get it done now. Rerelease one in 2020 and the final 2022 and call it a day. Wishful thinking on my part. LOL

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 15, 2019 14:43

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking.

The alternative is to not give a damn...and that would be a sad thing.

I'm just hoping for an album !

I'm not expecting a SF or SG ....

...just the sound of this band doing what they do.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 15, 2019 14:54

stone66
Be honest, though: If you could choose for 2020 between the recording and release of a new Stones album or another new leg of the never-ending 50 & Counting tour, you'd choose the tour every time.

Not me: I want a new studio album. When they toured Europe the last time, I abstained from seeing them. The year before I saw them one time only.

It is setlists with two or three songs from a new studio album that will make me eagerly want to see them again. Otherwise, not before 2021 or 2022 if both I and the band exist by then.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 15, 2019 14:58

Rockman
Keef said he was contemplating retirement
before Jordan talked him back into the studio for Crosseyed …..

Apparently, they all were. Prince Rupert mentions in his book that at the time he retired (2007), they considered following his advice and selling Promotone, Promopub, Musidor, etc. for big bucks to Universal.

Chuck had also mentioned following the 2007 tour that he thought people had seen the band for the last time. That final show in 2007 certainly felt like a Grand Finale. Honestly, I don't think Keith would have written LIFE if a wind-up wasn't considered seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-15 15:16 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: November 15, 2019 16:18

georgelicks
Send It To me

Well, if you're referring to iorr, which it seems you are as far as I can tell, that's not exactly a large amount of fans in comparison to, say, their last 5 releases and sales. The general public doesn't say much.

Kinda similar to the LET IT BLEED and BEGGARS 50th reissues - nobody noticed. They're not The Beatles.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 16:23

Rockman

It’s a great album, and Highlands goes on for days and days! “I don’t have a pencil”....

Rod

Date: November 15, 2019 16:29

Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

That's around the time Mick was saying the Stones were not like the Beach Boys. Sure, early on with the BANG tour they played new songs but it didn't last long - and the tour became a greatest hits review. They've been that way ever since.

Obviously he changed his mind about the Stones not being a nostalgia act - the set lists (and HONK) speak loudly of that fact.

Aside from a few people here, I've never heard anyone ask for or know what You Got Me Rocking is, yet the Stones have turned it into a post-1981 warhorse. It hit #23 in the US for sales. That's pretty good (especially considering that Love Is Strong didn't chart in the Top 40 sales wise). But that's not say much either - for all I know it was the week it came out.

#2 on the US mainstream rock chart - I've never heard it on the radio so I can't speak about that.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 17:35

Hairball
As for the thought that they really want this one to be great which is the reason for it taking so long....
Has there ever been an album they worked on where they didn't want it to be great?
Pre-A Bigger Bang release, it was all positive from the band:

"There is a certain feeling on this one, an excitement. There were no huge obstacles to overcome, like, What about that tuba part?
These songs lend themselves to live work. They are beautifully ready to play, and everybody's ready to play them". - Keith

And from Mick, comparing it to Exile and saying nothing is wrong with it:
"The record company felt (the album) was too long. But I said, What's the favorite Rolling Stones album of all time? - Well, Exile On Main Street. - There, you see? Exile.
And how long is that?- It's over an hour. - And the problem is? - Uh, nothing".

He also said "When you do these songs, and I think we're pretty exicited about this record, we think there's really good things on it, and you want people to hear it"

So now they're working on a new album for eternity, and it's a different situation because they want it to be great? As great as they thought Bigger Bang was?
You can't force greatness, and seems the longer they take, the worse it might actually turn out to be. Building up people's expectations for a "really great album", and then not being able to meet their own expectations.

Yes, I concur with this statement. Chinese Democracy comes to mind at this point.

Date: November 15, 2019 17:43

Rockman
Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong
average blues covers albums but cute that maybe
they shone a light on some of those
great blues artist
…. I mean who could
top Frank Hutchison or Blind Willie …

Seems you're stealing my lines regarding Blue and Lonesome!
"Average blues covers, but cute that maybe they shone a light on some of those great blues artists...
I mean who could top Howlin' Wolf or Little Walter" - Lol..........

As for Time Out of Mind, to each his own of course.
But if the Stones could ever come up with something as deep, meaningful, and straight from the heart with tunes of such a high quality (and win three Grammy's while they're at it) in this latter era, I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.
Instead they release "masterpieces" such as Streets of Love, She Saw Me Coming, and Sweet Neocon!

And to put it in proper time context, in '97 when Dylan released Time Out of Mind, the Stones release Bridges to Babylon with the "groundbreaking" Anybody Seen My Baby (partial credit to K.D Lang).

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 15, 2019 17:45

GasLightStreet
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

That's around the time Mick was saying the Stones were not like the Beach Boys. Sure, early on with the BANG tour they played new songs but it didn't last long - and the tour became a greatest hits review. They've been that way ever since.

Obviously he changed his mind about the Stones not being a nostalgia act - the set lists (and HONK) speak loudly of that fact.

Aside from a few people here, I've never heard anyone ask for or know what You Got Me Rocking is, yet the Stones have turned it into a post-1981 warhorse. It hit #23 in the US for sales. That's pretty good (especially considering that Love Is Strong didn't chart in the Top 40 sales wise). But that's not say much either - for all I know it was the week it came out.

#2 on the US mainstream rock chart - I've never heard it on the radio so I can't speak about that.

A friend of mine who isn't really a huge fan but has seen the Stones once (ABB tour '05) constantly talks about "You Got Me Rocking" as being a song he loves and a favorite. I think it's a decent song, but it's a head scratcher for me that he loves it so much. And yeah, apparently the Stones do too, as they continue to play it so much. They even opened with it at the show I saw on the ABB tour ('06 Chicago) and I remember feeling like it was the most average start to a show in all the shows I've seen (22 of 'em).

Date: November 15, 2019 18:05

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

A friend of mine who isn't really a huge fan but has seen the Stones once (ABB tour '05) constantly talks about "You Got Me Rocking" as being a song he loves and a favorite. I think it's a decent song, but it's a head scratcher for me that he loves it so much. And yeah, apparently the Stones do too, as they continue to play it so much. They even opened with it at the show I saw on the ABB tour ('06 Chicago) and I remember feeling like it was the most average start to a show in all the shows I've seen (22 of 'em).

They opened the "Superstorm" Sandy benefit show with it for shit's sake.

It is a head scratcher. Such astounding lyrics. I get that it's supposed to be about someone being inspired by someone to lift themselves up or they got lifted up but it's so chooky.

Date: November 15, 2019 18:39

"Chooky"...nice word GasLight, and have to say I never heard it before...

As for You Got Me Rocking, it always reminds me of something the Muppets band would play.

"Hey, hey you got me rocking now..."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...387388389390391392393394395396397...LastNext
Current Page: 392 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home