Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...386387388389390391392393394395396...LastNext
Current Page: 391 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 14, 2019 12:40

paulspendel

Dutch newspaper. Interview with Ron Wood.

[www.volkskrant.nl]

"Yeah, we're busy. The boys don't allow me to say much more about it, but every now and then we go out and record something together. It's like a jigsaw puzzle. First you do the edges and the corners. We now have them. Now we have to do the rest of it." Sometime next year the record has to be finished because, as Wood says, "on the horizon there is also a new tour waiting".

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 14, 2019 13:27

JordyLicks96
Palace Revolution 2000
after 390 pages whats is the consensus of the IORR minds?
Yes, they will put out one more album of originals?
Or, no - won't happen?

Of course there will be one more album of originals! They wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't going to happen. Sure, there have been plenty of other older groups who have put out albums in recent years without any issue, but people need to remember this is still "The Rolling Stones" we're talking about here. They're still looked at highly to put out quality material, even if it has been very few far and in between since 1989.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on this album knowing it will be their last. With that in mind, like Don Was stated recently, they want to make sure it's a GREAT album. If they want to take their sweet ass time to make sure this album is not just a throwaway after all these years without an album of originals, than by all means. I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2020 feels like the year it'll come out, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

This is how I believe the next year will play out:

Work on the new album next month, December 2019 or early 2020 for a few weeks.
Another tour in mid-2020.
Mixing and Overdubbing for the new album Summer 2020.
New album out in late 2020 - early 2021.

My guess would be that the album will be released just before the tour begins. Late spring or something. It's also about storytelling. After the december-session or after a january or february-session Keith will be interviewed and say how amazingly inspired they suddenly happened to be and that it's their best since Exile. Suddenly the magic was there.
I suspect that the new album is almost finished by now.

I doubt that the next tour will be a plain greatest hits-tour.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2019 13:39

KRiffhard
We can only hope that there are no horrible songs like this:
[youtu.be]

I haven't listened this one for some time. Thanks for pointing it out.

A good, funky piece. Makes one's ass move. Jagger's vocal performance is surprisingly strong. Pure Rolling Stones.

I hope there is equally strong material in the upcoming album. Not similar, since 'been there, done that'.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-14 13:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 14, 2019 14:10

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

A good, funky piece. Makes one's ass move. Jagger's vocal performance is surprisingly strong. Pure Rolling Stones.

I hope there is equally strong material in the upcoming album. Not similar, since 'been there, done that'.

- Doxa

Please no. It’s dross. Make believe “modern music” that Mick seems to think The Stones should play. They’re NOT contemporary. They’re THE ROLLING STONES.

Rod

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 14, 2019 14:13

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

- Doxa

Totally Stones, camouflaged and pumped (that's the part I dont like), agree with you Doxa, would like such funky material on the new album. Gunface breed. Like much more than Rain falls down with its sampled riff.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 14, 2019 15:44

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

- Doxa

"Pure Rolling Stones"?!!!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 14, 2019 16:39

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

- Doxa

Yes, I hope that too."Gotta get a grip" was - and is - very strong. And the different mixes are interesting.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 14, 2019 16:53

GetYerAngie
Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

- Doxa

Yes, I hope that too."Gotta get a grip" was - and is - very strong. And the different mixes are interesting.
I like Gotta Get A Grip, but if it was in a Stones album, I'm sure it would have been different.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 14, 2019 18:23

In an effort to create more buzz and excitement, I could see them just dropping it on us one day, the way some bands/artists have done.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 14, 2019 18:59

floodonthepage
In an effort to create more buzz and excitement, I could see them just dropping it on us one day, the way some bands/artists have done.

Often not a very succesful way of releasing a new album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 14, 2019 19:07

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

We can only hope that after its release you won't say "Jeeez, if only one song - one song!!! - has the quality of songs like this: ...."

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 14, 2019 19:11

floodonthepage

No way, they will hype the album during months in advance.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 14, 2019 19:14

People loudly trash all post-Tattoo Stones output then wonder why they are scared to put anything new out. I'd be hesitant to release anything if my own fans acted like that. If you didn't like Bang, Bridges, Steel Wheels or Voodoo, why do you care what they do next?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 14, 2019 20:39

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

- Doxa

Not unexpected, of course: Very good post! With both its second AND its third paragraph!

Date: November 14, 2019 21:06

Send It To me
People loudly trash all post-Tattoo Stones output then wonder why they are scared to put anything new out. I'd be hesitant to release anything if my own fans acted like that. If you didn't like Bang, Bridges, Steel Wheels or Voodoo, why do you care what they do next?

A very good question indeed, some people think that SW is sterile and anemic, VL is too long, B2B is uneven, the 4 tracks on 40 Licks are lame, ABB is poor and long, the 2 new songs on GRRR are trash, B&L is boring, Mick's latest songs are the worst thing ever...but they demand new material everyday and it must sound like something from Exile or Sticky Fingers of course, because we are still in 1972 and not 2019-20.

With that kind of fans and response to the new stuff, there's no surprise with the lack of new material.

Date: November 14, 2019 21:17

georgelicks
We'll not hear anything about the new album until next year, the whole band will be on vacations/off time during the next 3 months at least with studio sessions booked in early December.
Looking foward to know more info about the upcoming sessions. Next sessions right after Ronnie's shows in early December would be great. And with more info this would be a Christmas present! Excited about the new album that probably will be released in 2020!! And the new tour/shows In 2020 Is fantastic!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-14 21:23 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 14, 2019 21:41

georgelicks
Send It To me

A very good question indeed, some people think that SW is sterile and anemic, VL is too long, B2B is uneven, the 4 tracks on 40 Licks are lame, ABB is poor and long, the 2 new songs on GRRR are trash, B&L is boring, Mick's latest songs are the worst thing ever...but they demand new material everyday and it must sound like something from Exile or Sticky Fingers of course, because we are still in 1972 and not 2019-20.

With that kind of fans and response to the new stuff, there's no surprise with the lack of new material.

In the end, the lack of new material it's our fault!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 14, 2019 21:48

VoodooLounge13
swimtothemoon
IanBillen
The Stones have been lazy when it comes to recording and in the past four or five years lazy as well as dismissive.

Look guys (and gals) I'm tired about hearing how The poor Rolling Stones only have so much time to themselves or to do what they want outside of the band.
They simply were lazy and dismissive about actually putting in the work .. it's just that simple.

Artists create .. Dylan .. Bowie .. Young .. Cohen .. McCartney ... several other old acts ... the list goes on. They have (had) no issue playing live and recording material ..

Just making sure we are all on the same page with that. I love The Stones more than any other act .. but I will not make excuses for them .. Nor will I reach to find any other reasons other than those that are truly what they are.

Agree here, but the artists mentioned are essentially solo artists with basically
one ego for decision making. The stones need to find agreement amongst four people - although I suspect it’s mostly among two. However, the Who are about to release a new album - but with the Who, I believe Pete is the man in charge. There must be some other comparable examples though...I just can’t think of them
at the moment.

Well then you have Bruce Springsteen, who does have both a solo career and the E Street Band, and he has been very prolific with a steady stream of new production, even having a new E Street album ready to go. That man might just be the hardest working man in the business, regardless of what one thinks of his music!!!

I agree about Bruce - plus add his Broadway run to the mix. Amazing...

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 14, 2019 22:11

KRiffhard
georgelicks
Send It To me

Yes, this is truly guffaw-inducing logic -- Mick and Keith are such snowflakes that they can't deal with the opinions of a few hundred rabid fans on the internet? LOL

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 14, 2019 22:31

georgelicks
floodonthepage

No way, they will hype the album during months in advance.

Typically and historically, yes. But I could see them throwing a curveball in an effort to be "fresh" (Mick always wanting to be on the cutting edge, Keith less so). A full career of teasing as worked fairly well for them though, so there's always the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, which ultimately seems to be more Keith's frame of mind than Mick's, at least musically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-14 22:39 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:08

They have not put out an album because there was nothing of quality that has satisfied them. Nothing more nothing less. This thread has been burnished into a diamond. I don't think any fan of the band wants mediocre music just to satisfy the release of new material.
Voodoo and Bridges was their last stab at decent stones' sounding albums. Let's hope they can wow us once again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:27

LazarusSmith
KRiffhard
georgelicks
Send It To me

Yes, this is truly guffaw-inducing logic -- Mick and Keith are such snowflakes that they can't deal with the opinions of a few hundred rabid fans on the internet? LOL

Yes, laughable to think the Stones are afraid of hearing opinions and/or criticism of their work - if that was the case they might have quit back in '63.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:31

SomeGuy
floodonthepage

Often not a very succesful way of releasing a new album.

You are correct, Sa. Tis risky .. and most of the time pretty counter-productive.

Either way .. I'm with you on this .. just isn't going to happen with a Rolling Stones album.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:42

Yeah poor old Stones, what a life they have. They must be losing some sleep over the upcoming studio time, Mick being worried that Keith is going to roll his eyes again, Keith that Mick is going to drop another GGaG on him. On the plus side they can start counting the money of the upcoming 2020 cash grab in secondary US markets.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:49

georgelicks
Send It To me

I appreciate these two comments so much. Mick Jagger even said a while ago that fans don't want to hear the new songs.

Jagger in 2013: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today. "They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

When I saw them at MetLife back in August, I was excited to hear Slipping Away. It's one of my dad's favorite Stones songs. I noticed people heading to the concessions. The woman I was talking to in the row below me said, "I don't know this song." She claimed to be a huge Stones fan though. She also said, "I'm more of a STICKY FINGERS type of girl." That goes to show there are more people who would rather hear the classics over and over again than something they're unfamiliar with. Myself, I love hearing new material, but most of the people who go to see them are people who are looking to hear the older classics.

It's not just fans who talk poorly of their post-TATTOO YOU work, it's the critics too. So to the people who say the Stones "need" a new album and complain that they're not getting one so quickly, remember you're probably only one in a couple thousand of millions of Stones fans who are DYING for new material.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2019 23:54

JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

I appreciate these two comments so much. Mick Jagger even said a while ago that fans don't want to hear the new songs.

Jagger in 2013: "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today. "They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

When I saw them at MetLife back in August, I was excited to hear Slipping Away. It's one of my dad's favorite Stones songs. I noticed people heading to the concessions. The woman I was talking to in the row below me said, "I don't know this song." She claimed to be a huge Stones fan though. She also said, "I'm more of a STICKY FINGERS type of girl." That goes to show there are more people who would rather hear the classics over and over again than something they're unfamiliar with. Myself, I love hearing new material, but most of the people who go to see them are people who are looking to hear the older classics.

It's not just fans who talk poorly of their post-TATTOO YOU work, it's the critics too. So to the people who say the Stones "need" a new album and complain that they're not getting one so quickly, remember you're probably only one in a couple thousand of millions of Stones fans who are DYING for new material.

Mick also said this in 2005:

" If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits.
People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough".

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 00:04

Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

" If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits.
People say, I much prefer to hear "Brown Sugar" than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough".

You must know that Mick and Keith talk out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed. They change their opinion all the time. The Stones don't personally give a shit what you and a couple hundred people on IORR think. They're the ones performing in front of a stadium a thousands of people. You know what that feels like to play your new songs and have people head to the bathrooms or get another beer?

I don't blame them either for not wanting to put out a new album when people's responses are so negative. Some of you SHIT on their more recent work but cry because they haven't released any original material in recent years. Than you waste your time on here thinking your complaints will get through to them.

Just be lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year. In due time you'll get your new album so you can just shit on it too because it's not what you wanted....

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 15, 2019 00:21

JordyLicks96
Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

You must know that Mick and Keith talk out of their ass all the time when they've been interviewed. They change their opinion all the time. The Stones don't personally give a shit what you and a couple hundred people on IORR think. They're the ones performing in front of a stadium a thousands of people. You know what that feels like to play your new songs and have people head to the bathrooms or get another beer?

I don't blame them either for not wanting to put out a new album when people's responses are so negative. Some of you SHIT on their more recent work but cry because they haven't released any original material in recent years. Than you waste your time on here thinking your complaints will get through to them.

Just be lucky they're all still here with us, alive, in great shape, performing to millions of people every year. In due time you'll get your new album so you can just shit on it too because it's not what you wanted....

Personally I'd prefer to shit on it before it comes out -- is that kosher?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 15, 2019 00:26

Lots of bands play new songs. They just have to be patient and train the audience to expect some new songs. Hopefully good songs.

Date: November 15, 2019 00:51

Hairball
JordyLicks96
georgelicks
Send It To me

After that quote he released ABB which was their worst selling studio album in the US with no hits on radio and the album barely selling GOLD with a huge tour behind it.

Their US sales in the US were down this way:
Steel Wheels - 2.5 million
Voodoo Lounge - 2.4 million
Bridges To Babylon - 1.4 million
A Bigger Bang - 600k

ABB sold less than half of B2B which already sold almost half of VL, and we're not counting Blue and Lonesome which it's from the streaming era, but it sold half of ABB in the US too (350k).

The general audience is not interested and Mick lost interest too.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...386387388389390391392393394395396...LastNext
Current Page: 391 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home