Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...384385386387388389390391392393394...LastNext
Current Page: 389 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2019 19:35

Leonard Cohen, tom waits.....had very boring albums, bit marvellous at the same time.
Jaggers last songs are just unlistening to.My taste

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 9, 2019 20:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-09 21:36 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 9, 2019 21:44

Saving costs is certainly one effect of a day show: less stage lights, stadium lights or parking lot lights, lower costs for the local security, emergency services and stadium personel if they don't work night hours, and so on. The question is just who's saving. According to their organisers over here, all these costs are not paid by the Stones but by the organisers. The organisers provide all the local infrastructure and come up for the respective expenses and the Stones are legally just their freelance employees for a day. It's up to the organisers to make enough money from ticket sales to cover the expenses (and make some profit).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 9, 2019 23:23

The cost of this supposed new Stones LP is probably, so far, quite cheap seeing that they haven't done a whole lot and they've already made some money from them with BLUE AND LONESOME.

Date: November 9, 2019 23:34

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Aware that I am in a minority of very few on this forum, I still appreciated the two songs in their released maxi single format as more interesting and attractive than the third studio album by his vetoing band collegue.

Good for you! For me, both songs were on par with Let's Work and Charmed Life, unfortunately. But I bought the 45" vinyl...

I can think of some of Jagger's as well as Richards' solo songs that I actually dislike more than the four songs mentioned here.

Might well be, but we're still in the bottom of the barrel here winking smiley

That depends on the number of songs smiling smiley

Come on! smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2019 23:43

Witness
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Aware that I am in a minority of very few on this forum, I still appreciated the two songs in their released maxi single format as more interesting and attractive than the third studio album by his vetoing band collegue.

Good for you! For me, both songs were on par with Let's Work and Charmed Life, unfortunately. But I bought the 45" vinyl...

I can think of some of Jagger's as well as Richards' solo songs that I actually dislike more than the four songs mentioned here.

I disagree that "Gotta Get a Grip" or " England Lost" are at any bottom. Out of Mick's songs,however, there is "Gun". Maybe Keith's last album contains songs that are not bad or weak as such. But the album to me is so boring. Does that make the verdict so much better?

We like different things. I love guitar playing, for instance. GGG and EL are not interesting for me, melody-wise or performance/production-wise.

There is a lot of exciting things going on on Crosseyed Heart for me, both in terms of songwriting and guitar playing. So I won't be bored there.

That said, I really like a lot of Mick’s solo stuff. But I can't stand melodyless tunes with a daft groove going nowhere. There's a HUGE leap in quality from GGG to Dancing In The Starlight (a comparable tune), for instance. The latter has a good melody, a hook, a good groove and is performed well, imo.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 10, 2019 09:46

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I disagree that "Gotta Get a Grip" or " England Lost" are at any bottom. Out of Mick's songs,however, there is "Gun". Maybe Keith's last album contains songs that are not bad or weak as such. But the album to me is so boring. Does that make the verdict so much better?

We like different things. I love guitar playing, for instance. GGG and EL are not interesting for me, melody-wise or performance/production-wise.

There is a lot of exciting things going on on Crosseyed Heart for me, both in terms of songwriting and guitar playing. So I won't be bored there.

That said, I really like a lot of Mick’s solo stuff. But I can't stand melodyless tunes with a daft groove going nowhere. There's a HUGE leap in quality from GGG to Dancing In The Starlight (a comparable tune), for instance. The latter has a good melody, a hook, a good groove and is performed well, imo.

As a non-musician discussing with a guitarist and I being bored by an album that you praise also for its guitar playing, declaring that you generally love guitar playing, I come out as one who apparently don't like guitar playing. Well, at my level of enjoying music, what I to some extent miss while I listen to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' music, which I do like, is quite often all the same guitars. And guitar sound and guitar playing is one ingredient in what I in my simplified manner like about Sonic Youth.

Writing on a phone, my clumsy fingers happened to hit the Send button long before I had finished. I will have to abstain from the rest I had to say then.

I want to add though that to me as a follower of a football club with it's ups and downs over the years, I think that Mick with "England Lost" finds a musical representation of what one may feel at repeated downturns. I am more impressed by that than by a faultless, but anonymous clever melodi in that context.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 10:04 by Witness.

Date: November 10, 2019 11:00

EL was not just about football. Politics as well. Pretty clever lyrically smiling smiley (but I don't like the melody).

As I said, sometimes we might be looking for different things in songs. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 10, 2019 11:13

You two are way to positive, in your own ways.
I really dislike both England Lost, Crosseyed Heart, Gotta Get A Grip, Nick Cave and even football,

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 10, 2019 11:25

After 15 years or so, there will be a new studio album in 2020?!What a great mystery...eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 10, 2019 11:31

DandelionPowderman
EL was not just about football. Politics as well. Pretty clever lyrically smiling smiley (but I don't like the melody).

As I said, sometimes we might be looking for different things in songs. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, but with a reference to football losses for what was implied about politics. [Later added: More or less like a parable.] So the feeling involved by fotball losses is relevant. Otherwise, thank you very much for your response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-10 11:51 by Witness.

Date: November 10, 2019 13:02

Erik_Snow
You two are way to positive, in your own ways.
I really dislike both England Lost, Crosseyed Heart, Gotta Get A Grip, Nick Cave and even football,

Get a Grip! grinning smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 11, 2019 04:24

The Stones have been lazy when it comes to recording and in the past four or five years lazy as well as dismissive.

Look guys (and gals) I'm tired about hearing how The poor Rolling Stones only have so much time to themselves or to do what they want outside of the band.
They simply were lazy and dismissive about actually putting in the work .. it's just that simple.

Artists create .. Dylan .. Bowie .. Young .. Cohen .. McCartney ... several other old acts ... the list goes on. They have (had) no issue playing live and recording material ..

Just making sure we are all on the same page with that. I love The Stones more than any other act .. but I will not make excuses for them .. Nor will I reach to find any other reasons other than those that are truly what they are.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 11, 2019 07:04

Ian Billen- the Hiroo Onoda of Stones fans.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 11, 2019 07:47

IanBillen
The Stones have been lazy when it comes to recording and in the past four or five years lazy as well as dismissive.

Look guys (and gals) I'm tired about hearing how The poor Rolling Stones only have so much time to themselves or to do what they want outside of the band.
They simply were lazy and dismissive about actually putting in the work .. it's just that simple.

Artists create .. Dylan .. Bowie .. Young .. Cohen .. McCartney ... several other old acts ... the list goes on. They have (had) no issue playing live and recording material ..

Just making sure we are all on the same page with that. I love The Stones more than any other act .. but I will not make excuses for them .. Nor will I reach to find any other reasons other than those that are truly what they are.

Agree here, but the artists mentioned are essentially solo artists with basically
one ego for decision making. The stones need to find agreement amongst four people - although I suspect it’s mostly among two. However, the Who are about to release a new album - but with the Who, I believe Pete is the man in charge. There must be some other comparable examples though...I just can’t think of them
at the moment.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 07:58

lem motlow
His book was excellent!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2019 08:12

Ian Billen- the Hiroo Onoda of Stones fans...…

Hhhhaaa cant see Ian sitting on an
island on his own for twenty nine years ……
Imagine how many messages in bottles that'd be floatin in the Pacific …

ROCKMAN

Date: November 11, 2019 15:25

swimtothemoon
IanBillen

Agree here, but the artists mentioned are essentially solo artists with basically
one ego for decision making. The stones need to find agreement amongst four people - although I suspect it’s mostly among two. However, the Who are about to release a new album - but with the Who, I believe Pete is the man in charge. There must be some other comparable examples though...I just can’t think of them
at the moment.

Right, and that's why Mick did release a single and the Stones didn't. Btw, if the measure of productivity is The Who, then all hope is gone indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-11 16:08 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 12, 2019 00:37

lem motlow

Ha!! I feel like him ... He waited around for years and years .. and so am I - !

grinning smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 12, 2019 00:43

SomeGuy
swimtothemoon
IanBillen

at the moment.

Right, and that's why Mick did release a single and the Stones didn't. Btw, if the measure of productivity is The Who, then all hope is gone indeed.

Haha - true about the Who but at least it’s on the way though. However, Pete
may decide he hates it by this time next year. Pete’s an artist and seemingly
never quite satisfied. From the tracks I have heard it sounds great and worth
the wait.

Date: November 12, 2019 01:06

swimtothemoon
SomeGuy
swimtothemoon
IanBillen

at the moment.

Haha - true about the Who but at least it’s on the way though. However, Pete
may decide he hates it by this time next year. Pete’s an artist and seemingly
never quite satisfied. From the tracks I have heard it sounds great and worth
the wait.

Secretly I am confident that a new record will see the light of day but don't tell anyone smiling smiley
Based on nothing, but hey.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 12, 2019 01:11

SomeGuy
Based on nothing, but hey.

Not unlike this entire thread!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 01:17

I think the thread subject should be changed to.....New Stones album by 60th anniversary? sad smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 12, 2019 03:30

lem motlow

Well, at least I learned something I didn't know...

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: November 12, 2019 10:22

RONNIE WOOD on RTL FRANCE LVT: .the rolling stones next album should come out next year. It's just new songs it takes time...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 12, 2019 10:24

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 16:16

swimtothemoon
IanBillen

at the moment.

Well then you have Bruce Springsteen, who does have both a solo career and the E Street Band, and he has been very prolific with a steady stream of new production, even having a new E Street album ready to go. That man might just be the hardest working man in the business, regardless of what one thinks of his music!!!

Date: November 12, 2019 16:48

justeillusion
RONNIE WOOD on RTL FRANCE LVT: .the rolling stones next album should come out next year. It's just new songs it takes time...

Great, but I don't like the word "should"...

Date: November 12, 2019 20:23

DandelionPowderman
justeillusion

It should (but maybe it won't...)

Date: November 12, 2019 20:49

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
justeillusion

It should (but maybe it won't...)

Exactly...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...384385386387388389390391392393394...LastNext
Current Page: 389 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home