Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...383384385386387388389390391392393...LastNext
Current Page: 388 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 4, 2019 16:10

Rotterdam Feyenoord stadium, June 1982, were definitely night (evening) shows. Started out in daylight, soon to turn into darkness. As far as I was concerned, the lights were more than adequate, they just didn't have a video screen yet if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2019 19:36

At the L.A. Coliseum 1981 (both nights), they started early evening while it was still light, but played in to the darkness.

Photos courtesy L.A. Times (Oct. 11) :

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 5, 2019 00:00

peoplewitheyes
Hey Ian, love your recollections of the SW tour.

I was surprised/confused by one thing you mentioned though - are you suggesting that previously stadium gigs had only been in the afternoon, not at night?

I know there is lots of footage of the Stones in stadiums in the daylight (which always struck me as kind of odd) but I figured that was just long, light summer evenings.

The Stones were known mostly to day time stadium gigs ..as were most acts before 1989. My recollection of them was in 1981 and I was expecting 'perhaps' another day gig for them. If my memory serves me correctly they (and the Who) were the first to do a massive tour at night in stadiums. 95% of all stadium shows were inthe day during those years and all before. The Who toured in 89 too .. but they even started their show in the day and it finished at night. The Stones show was an all at night show and this was not very common at all back then (so I was surprised when I first got tickets and saw the time of the show). Steel Wheels was not only a game changer for The Stones .. it was a sort of game changer for touring / stadium shows from that point on in the industry... it started a new frontier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 00:02 by IanBillen.

Date: November 5, 2019 03:18

Beg to differ, Ian. Did you even read the two posts before yours?

Date: November 5, 2019 03:57

Along with the Stones at the L.A. Coliseum '81, I also saw The Who there in October, 1982 with the T-Bone Burnett and The Clash opening,
Same scenario as the Stones shows - The Who played in to the night, and both both bands ended their shows with a massive fireworks display.

Date: November 5, 2019 04:10

SomeGuy

I said 95% (and that's a conservative number). As well .. their were not full fledged major stadium tours that started in the night before that ..(or at least there were very very few .. at least there were nothing like a major night time productions like Steel Wheels). Steel Wheels was an all / 100% night-time show. Before Steel Wheels at least 95% of all stadium shows were day time .. and there was never a full all out 'major' stadium tour to start all 100% at night if I can recall. It was basically a new thing ... a new production style with the advent of Steel Wheels you see.

All that is fact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 04:14 by IanBillen.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 5, 2019 04:12

Good new album discussion.

Subthreads within threads should be markable as OT.

388 pages isn't that impressive -- someone pls document % of pages on- and off-topic.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 5, 2019 04:13

IanBillen
The Stones were known mostly to day time stadium gigs ..as were most acts before 1989. My recollection of them was in 1981 and I was expecting 'perhaps' another day gig for them. If my memory serves me correctly they (and the Who) were the first to do a massive tour at night in stadiums. 95% of all stadium shows were inthe day during those years and all before. The Who toured in 89 too .. but they even started their show in the day and it finished at night. The Stones show was an all at night show and this was not very common at all back then (so I was surprised when I first got tickets and saw the time of the show). Steel Wheels was not only a game changer for The Stones .. it was a sort of game changer for touring / stadium shows from that point on in the industry... it started a new frontier.

In terms of U.S. stadium concerts, there were tours before '89 where the shows were mostly or exclusively at night...Pink Floyd in '87 and '88...Bowie's Glass Spider Tour in '87...Genesis had a big light show for their '87 tour and definitely played at night...Springsteen's '85 stadium shows typically began at 6 or 7 pm....many Police shows in '83 began at 6 pm with the two opening acts, so they didn't come on until after dark.

You get the idea.

Date: November 5, 2019 04:19

Jah Paul
IanBillen

In terms of U.S. stadium concerts, there were tours before '89 where the shows were mostly or exclusively at night...Pink Floyd in '87 and '88...Bowie's Glass Spider Tour in '87...Genesis had a big light show for their '87 tour and definitely played at night...Springsteen's '85 stadium shows typically began at 6 or 7 pm....many Police shows in '83 began at 6 pm with the two opening acts, so they didn't come on until after dark.

You get the idea.

I always thought Bowie's Glass Spider Tour was in arena's .. (I heard a lot about that tour .. my bad).

Date: November 5, 2019 04:21

IanBillen
SomeGuy

I said 95% (and that's a conservative number). As well .. their were not full fledged major stadium tours that started in the night before that ..(or at least there were very very few .. at least there were nothing like a major night time productions like Steel Wheels). Steel Wheels was an all / 100% night-time show. Before Steel Wheels at least 95% of all stadium shows were day time .. and there was never a full all out 'major' stadium tour to start all 100% at night if I can recall. It was basically a new thing ... a new production style with the advent of Steel Wheels you see.

All that is fact.

I found a ticket stub of Rotterdam June 4 1982. It says 16:00 which is of course way earlier than usual shows. From what I remember the concert didn't exactly start until, what, one, two hours later? Two special guests to go through first (J. Geil's Band and George Thorogood). Back in those days it took ages for the stage to get ready for the next act, so most likely the Stones didn't start until 20:00 at least. With DST in the summer the end of the show was past dusk but a substantial portion was obviously in daylight.
A July 1990 Wembley ticket stub says "gates open at 4.00 PM". My own ticket stub from Rotterdam May 1990 has no time on it but I know that the Stones started in broad (evening) daylight and finished in the dark.
So, I can see the point made about playing daytime stadium shows, i.e. earlier in the day, before the Steel Wheels tour, but effectively the difference was not always so striking, in my experience. At least it never struck me as relevant, which is not to say that the 1990 show wasn't spectacular, feeling the heat from the pyrotechnics on my brow and whatnot.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 13:48 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: November 5, 2019 22:25

Can't let this important thread drop off page one! BUMP!

Date: November 6, 2019 06:40

Hairball
The album was lame, but the tour was great!
Was it a "magical" comeback? Perhaps so, but mainly due to the tour.

Yes 1989 .. was magical .. certainly was... the concert was magic. Was The Tour that made it that .. you are correct.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 8, 2019 04:39

iraq0708
Can't let this important thread drop off page one! BUMP!

Yep!

My take on the 1982 night show question: Over here (German-speaking area) the press had put it like this (according to my memory): in order for them to display their full potential, the Stones were put on a biological clock on the 1982 European tour and the shows were to start about 5pm because it was assumed they would deliver the best performance then. At the Vienna show, the support acts were Wolf&Wolf (i.e. former Zappa keyboarder Peter Wolf and his wife Ina) and the J. Geils Band (touring the Freeze Frame album). Wolf&Wolf were scheduled for 2pm, the J.Geils Band was scheduled for 4pm, and the Stones were scheduled to go onstage at 6pm (according to the ticket). The Stones started with quite some delay but I remember the show started when there was still daylight and finished when it was already dark (which seems largely confirmed by this youtube vid --> [www.youtube.com]; SMU was the penultimate song; in the end the video is missing JJF and the encore Satisfaction). Certainly helped to reduce electricity costs.

I remember that a German member of the road crew came on the stage once or twice to explain to the audience that the delay was due to a problem with Keith's guitar. The actual reason rather appears to have been that Bill arrived late at the stadium. Bill later said in interviews that this was so because his driver had an accident on the way to the stadium and a person got injured and he (Bill) didn't want to proceed to the stadium before he was sure the injured person was properly taken care of.

A somewhat different story (new to me) is told by Edek Bartz, one of the organizers of the concert, here: [www.falter.at] ("Forgotten in the airport loo"). It's in German, and unfortunately the google translator does not really provide a useful translation. Roughly, Bartz says that when the Stones arrived at Vienna Airport, Bill was forgotten to be taken along to their hotel because he was taking a leak when they were picked up and the other guys didn't notice that he was missing, so when he came out of the loo they were already gone. Bartz and his wife then took him along in their Volkswagen car but could not deliver him at the hotel because the whole area around the hotel was closed off and they were not allowed to pass. So they took Bill home to their flat and organized his transport to the hotel from there. Maybe the accident happened when he was taken from the hotel to the stadium.

I remember that at that time, people were rather surprised that the Stones as the main act would perform in daylight and do without a light show. I don't know if there were any stadium tours (by anyone) in the German-speaking area in the 70s, maybe the Stones were the first ones. All concerts that I attended then took place in (smaller or larger) halls or were open air shows, but the headliners always played at night only.

<edit: corrected some typos>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-08 04:42 by doitywoik.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2019 17:51

Maybe the next new album will be

HONK TOO
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
If You Can't Rock Me
Shattered
All Down The Line
I Go Wild
Plundered My Soul
Let Me Down Slow
No Spare Parts
Memory Motel
Almost Hear You Sigh
Anybody Seen My Baby
Dance Little Sister
Star Star
Crazy Mama
Sad Sad Sad
Dance Pt 1
Little T&A
Hand Of Fate
Neighbours
Doom And Gloom (Radio Edit)
Biggest Mistake
She Was Hot
Summer Romance
When The Whip Comes Down
Dead Flowers
Time Waits For No One
Laugh, I Almost Died
Blue And Lonesome
Before They Make Me Run
One Hit (To The Body)
Worried About You
All The Way Down
She Saw Me Coming
You Don't Have To Mean It
If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt 2)

Date: November 8, 2019 18:45

To be followed by CLONK (= Honk Three) with whatever is left?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 8, 2019 18:47

Re: the Stones biological clock. ... So 5 pm was when Keith woke up?

Date: November 8, 2019 19:00

doitywoik
To be followed by CLONK (= Honk Three) with whatever is left?

And the follow up to that will be called HANK - a tribute to Hank Williams.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: November 9, 2019 06:25

I really liked Mick's post of "Really wanna tell the truth". Cant wait for another snippet or the full thing.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 9, 2019 06:50

CJFP
I really liked Mick's post of "Really wanna tell the truth". Cant wait for another snippet or the full thing.

Yes! I watched this again the other day too, and would really like to hear more of it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 9, 2019 13:53

I’m starting to think we’ll have a new Mick's solo album very soon.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 9, 2019 14:37

KRiffhard

That would be a treat. With the working title VETOED BY KEEF. And the rest of the band participating as if it would have been a Rolling Stones album.

Date: November 9, 2019 14:49

Witness
KRiffhard

That would be a treat. With the working title VETOED BY KEEF. And the rest of the band participating as if it would have been a Rolling Stones album.

He already released that album. It should have been titled "Being Prolific Doesn't Mean Shit". Two songs, with various remixes. winking smiley

Oh, and it tanked...

Date: November 9, 2019 15:43

Aware that I am in a minority of very few on this forum, I still appreciated the two songs in their released maxi single format as more interesting and attractive than the third studio album by his vetoing band collegue.

Date: November 9, 2019 16:13

Witness
Aware that I am in a minority of very few on this forum, I still appreciated the two songs in their released maxi single format as more interesting and attractive than the third studio album by his vetoing band collegue.

Good for you! For me, both songs were on par with Let's Work and Charmed Life, unfortunately. But I bought the 45" vinyl...

Date: November 9, 2019 17:10

DandelionPowderman
Witness

Good for you! For me, both songs were on par with Let's Work and Charmed Life, unfortunately. But I bought the 45" vinyl...

I can think of some of Jagger's as well as Richards' solo songs that I actually dislike more than the four songs mentioned here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-09 17:20 by SomeGuy.

Date: November 9, 2019 17:42

DandelionPowderman
Witness

Well, well, I can take that message! I will abstain from boring you and almost everyone else with my views on the studio album touched in that earlier quote.

By the way, as to your measuring stick, to me "Let's Work" is not musically that awfully bad. However, to me it is on the other hand the most shameful song of any Stones related issues ever, but that is on moral grounds that hang on political views of mine that I am not permitted to discuss here.

"Charmed Life" I have not had the possibly doubtful joy to listen to. For all I know, I may even like it.

Now over to my Saturday wine.

Date: November 9, 2019 17:53

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I can think of some of Jagger's as well as Richards' solo songs that I actually dislike more than the four songs mentioned here.

Might well be, but we're still in the bottom of the barrel here winking smiley

Date: November 9, 2019 18:06

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness

That depends on the number of songs smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2019 18:26

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I disagree that "Gotta Get a Grip" or " England Lost" are at any bottom. Out of Mick's songs,however, there is "Gun". Maybe Keith's last album contains songs that are not bad or weak as such. But the album to me is so boring. Does that make the verdict so much better?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-09 18:27 by Witness.

Date: November 9, 2019 18:46

wonderboy
Re: the Stones biological clock. ... So 5 pm was when Keith woke up?

That's pretty much what I was thinking then.

Maybe they had to do (or at least say) this for keeing the insurance companies happy. But I can't recall any such stories from later tours.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...383384385386387388389390391392393...LastNext
Current Page: 388 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home