Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...379380381382383384385386387388389...LastNext
Current Page: 384 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 23, 2019 17:26

Why get up in the morning if you're over 30? You're likely not as strong, fast, smart, or capable as you were in your prime. Certainly why waste time on a message board when it was all over and done with in 1972.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 23, 2019 17:37

384 of nothing...& Counting...All that is simply cloying

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2019 20:35

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Spud
Hairball

But Getta Grip was originally brought to Keith and the Stones, though it didn't work out as Keith rejected it (Ronnie and Charlie played on it though).

Kind of makes you wonder just how much of the delay has been down to Mick & Keith now being on completely different musical pages with regard to their tastes and the direction they want to go in.

B&L was so easy to do because its source material remains the firmest of common ground.

Keith was up for the idea of another Blue and Lonesome type blues covers album, and in hindsight that might have been the best option.
They would have another "new" album which would have pleased the critics and calmed the masses, and they might have even won another Grammy to stick in their hat.
It would have also given them more time to work things out amongst eachother as far as original material, but at the slow rate they're going they might have had to do two or three more Blue and Lonesomes.
Yet here they are with a stockpile of 40 or so unfinished tunes - several of them with multiple remixes due to indecision and/or negative feedback from Universal calling the batch of tunes "uneven" (according to insiders).
It's also been said they want to put out the best possible album they can muster up - hence the delays. Seems their aim is to please the fans and the the critics even more so than themselves, and maybe that's where the problem lies. ...they care too much what others think in their attempt to make another "best album since Exile"! From the Neil Young playbook - play some music, hit record, and release. Doesn't always produce great results, but move on to the next chapter. From The Who's recent playbook - take a few months prior to a new tour, get in the studio, play some music, hit record, and release. And if they hit a bump, rework one of Townsends solo tunes, and give it new life as a Who tune. It really shouldn't be that difficult for the Stones, but to Spud's point both Keith and Mick write the songs and both are "on completely different musical pages with regard to their tastes and the direction they want to go in" unlike Neil or Townshend who are the sole songwriters.

When looking at/listening to all the various versions Getta Grip/England Lost last night (and hell no I didn't listen to all start to finish), I was reminded that these were released over two years ago!!!
As for critics fawning over the old timer/classic rock and roll bands catering to just the diehard fans (recent Stones tours, new Neil and Who albums), wondering why they were so harsh on Mick's Getta Grip/England Lost release? Maybe they're all just as hungry for some new Stones material as most of us are here? Or maybe they're genuinely being truthful in their critical assessments? Whatever the case, hats off to Neil and The Who for getting it done properly and efficiently - they're being rewarded with rave reviews.

Finally, Blue and Lonesome was released just of over three years ago (Dec. '16)...they could have had volumes 1-10 by now!

they should have released a blue and lonesome type covers album in either 2011 or 2013 and then if a new studio album wasn't ready by 2018 another covers release but maybe not the blues genre. then the new album of studio material written by the band could come out in 2021.

as far as the who goes, the difference is pete is really the only writer so probably not a ton of pushback against songs by other members

I believe I covered that - see my original post above in bold and underlined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 20:36 by Hairball.

Date: October 23, 2019 21:29

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Spud
Hairball

But Getta Grip was originally brought to Keith and the Stones, though it didn't work out as Keith rejected it (Ronnie and Charlie played on it though).

Kind of makes you wonder just how much of the delay has been down to Mick & Keith now being on completely different musical pages with regard to their tastes and the direction they want to go in.

B&L was so easy to do because its source material remains the firmest of common ground.

Keith was up for the idea of another Blue and Lonesome type blues covers album, and in hindsight that might have been the best option.
They would have another "new" album which would have pleased the critics and calmed the masses, and they might have even won another Grammy to stick in their hat.
It would have also given them more time to work things out amongst eachother as far as original material, but at the slow rate they're going they might have had to do two or three more Blue and Lonesomes.
Yet here they are with a stockpile of 40 or so unfinished tunes - several of them with multiple remixes due to indecision and/or negative feedback from Universal calling the batch of tunes "uneven" (according to insiders).
It's also been said they want to put out the best possible album they can muster up - hence the delays. Seems their aim is to please the fans and the the critics even more so than themselves, and maybe that's where the problem lies. ...they care too much what others think in their attempt to make another "best album since Exile"! From the Neil Young playbook - play some music, hit record, and release. Doesn't always produce great results, but move on to the next chapter. From The Who's recent playbook - take a few months prior to a new tour, get in the studio, play some music, hit record, and release. And if they hit a bump, rework one of Townsends solo tunes, and give it new life as a Who tune. It really shouldn't be that difficult for the Stones, but to Spud's point both Keith and Mick write the songs and both are "on completely different musical pages with regard to their tastes and the direction they want to go in" unlike Neil or Townshend who are the sole songwriters.

When looking at/listening to all the various versions Getta Grip/England Lost last night (and hell no I didn't listen to all start to finish), I was reminded that these were released over two years ago!!!
As for critics fawning over the old timer/classic rock and roll bands catering to just the diehard fans (recent Stones tours, new Neil and Who albums), wondering why they were so harsh on Mick's Getta Grip/England Lost release? Maybe they're all just as hungry for some new Stones material as most of us are here? Or maybe they're genuinely being truthful in their critical assessments? Whatever the case, hats off to Neil and The Who for getting it done properly and efficiently - they're being rewarded with rave reviews.

Finally, Blue and Lonesome was released just of over three years ago (Dec. '16)...they could have had volumes 1-10 by now!

they should have released a blue and lonesome type covers album in either 2011 or 2013 and then if a new studio album wasn't ready by 2018 another covers release but maybe not the blues genre. then the new album of studio material written by the band could come out in 2021.

as far as the who goes, the difference is pete is really the only writer so probably not a ton of pushback against songs by other members

I believe I covered that - see my original post above in bold and underlined.

yup missed it but still I think if keith said he was not writing anymore there are things I think he'd shoot down. daltrey isn't really going to object to a tune other than maybe a lyrical change here or there

Date: October 23, 2019 21:42

That was pretty much the point.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2019 23:17

… can ya say all that again ….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 23, 2019 23:30

Nah, just read Hairball's posts.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 24, 2019 00:03

Interesting point: The Who's new album is to be released in November and Townsend says that all his songs were written in the last 12 months.
Also all of it recorded in 2019.
Compare that to The Stones creative and recording process.

Date: October 24, 2019 00:33

jlowe
Interesting point: The Who's new album is to be released in November and Townsend says that all his songs were written in the last 12 months.

Maybe Rocky will help explain and rationalize the Stones' slow process again so all of the plebians can better understand.

By the way, Neil Young and Crazy Horse recorded their entire new album in 11 days in a studio literally on a mountaintop surrounded by snow - and there are no blues covers.

Date: October 24, 2019 00:40

Hairball
jlowe

Maybe Rocky will help explain and rationalize the Stones' slow process again so all of the plebians can better understand.

By the way, Neil Young and Crazy Horse recorded their entire new album in 11 days in a studio literally on a mountaintop surrounded by snow - and there are no blues covers.

That's the answer then.
The Stones should record where there are no distractions or means of escape.
London and NYC clearly no good for the work ethic.
A desert island maybe?

Date: October 24, 2019 00:56

jlowe
Hairball
jlowe

That's the answer then.
A desert island maybe?

That could work, but Keith and Mick would probably require separate islands, and if they're close enough they can communicate via smoke signals.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 24, 2019 01:19

jlowe
Hairball
jlowe

That's the answer then.
A desert island maybe?

Does Keith have a studio at his home in the Turks And Caicos? Those are desert islands.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2019 13:53

…. The Stones have done heaps
of recordings surrounded by snow …..

ROCKMAN

Date: October 24, 2019 14:09

Rockman
…. The Stones have done heaps
of recordings surrounded by snow …..

There is no need to bring Drugs into what is a very serious debate.

Date: October 24, 2019 14:45

...but things go better with Coke.

Date: October 24, 2019 14:51

Hairball

Some of us rewrite the same post every couple pages and some of us quote our posts repeatedly in futile attempts to demonstrate we already made the point being contested. I like to think of us as mice in Bjornulf's behavioral study.

Date: October 24, 2019 19:18

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

Some of us rewrite the same post every couple pages and some of us quote our posts repeatedly in futile attempts to demonstrate we already made the point being contested. I like to think of us as mice in Bjornulf's behavioral study.

And others tend to monitor the thread and lash out at and/or attempt to belittle those who aren't in line with what is "acceptable" behavior to them - similar to a hall monitor in elementary school.
Yeah, I'm sure Bjornulf has his hands full trying to make sense of it all (not). Realistically, I doubt he really cares what members post in this thread unless it veers off to politics, religion, personal insults, etc.

Date: October 24, 2019 19:26

jlowe

How many albums have The Who recorded? smoking smiley

BTW, wasn't one of their "new" songs on Pete's solo album a while back?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-24 19:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 24, 2019 21:05

DandelionPowderman

BTW, wasn't one of their "new" songs on Pete's solo album a while back?

Yep, Ball and Chain was previously a Townshend solo track. And one track was written by Pete’s brother Simon.

Still, 9 tracks written by PT last year and recorded this year is pretty good, I’m very excited for it.

Worth noting also that in order to accomplish this, there were no gigs between Oct ‘17 and May ‘19, specifically so Townshend could write and they could record. You gotta make choices sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-24 21:08 by tommycharles.

Date: October 24, 2019 22:50

Hairball
And others tend to monitor the thread and lash out at and/or attempt to belittle those who aren't in line with what is "acceptable" behavior to them - similar to a hall monitor in elementary school.
Yeah, I'm sure Bjornulf has his hands full trying to make sense of it all (not). Realistically, I doubt he really cares what members post in this thread unless it veers off to politics, religion, personal insults, etc.

Well sorry if I gave offense, Hairball. Sometimes I'm just sharing my opinion, sometimes I'm grumpy, and sometimes I think I'm being funny. All can be received poorly by others. Goes with the territory. I can deal with being told I lashed out, but I don't like to think I belittle others. For you or anyone else feeling that way, I regret having done so. Of course it's rarely about our intentions so much as how we make others feel.

As for Bjornulf, while he is a busy guy, he does care about how we treat one another. Sometimes you have to tell him though. As good as his English is, like many people here, it's not his first language and he's not always aware of a problem unless people speak up. If you feel you've had an ongoing problem with how I treat you or others (that's how I read your post above), you really should message him. My mea culpa is hardly the same thing as dealing with the gentleman who runs the site. You or anyone else should certainly do so if you feel belittled. I am quite serious about that.

Date: October 24, 2019 23:27

Rocky Dijon
Why get up in the morning if you're over 30? You're likely not as strong, fast, smart, or capable as you were in your prime. Certainly why waste time on a message board when it was all over and done with in 1972.

A zillion people watching great Rembrand paintings. He passed away about 400 years ago.Spectators are wasting their time visiting the museum. Something like that?

Date: October 24, 2019 23:29

Sort of, but only if we were waiting for Rembrandt to finally give us that new painting he promised us.

Date: October 24, 2019 23:39

Of course.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 24, 2019 23:39

Wow is all I can say about this thread at this point. 384 pages all about an album we know next to nothing about. The heck is this thread gonna look like when it finally does come out? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 24, 2019 23:44

Well then we'll have threads about how the new album shouldn't have been brickwalled, should have had less songs, and been sequenced differently. It's what we do and we're good at it.

Date: October 25, 2019 00:15

Rocky Dijon
If you feel you've had an ongoing problem with how I treat you or others (that's how I read your post above)you really should message him.

Nope, not my style to report anyone or message Bjornulf for such trivial pettiness - he's busy enough as it is with more significant things in life. And no, I've never had an ongoing problem with your treatment of anyone.
Again, I doubt he really cares what members post in this thread unless it veers off to politics, religion, personal insults, etc. but sometimes subtle innuendos (humorous or not) fall under the radar of any of those categories.

Date: October 25, 2019 00:17

Rocky Dijon
Well then we'll have threads about how the new album shouldn't have been brickwalled, should have had less songs, and been sequenced differently. It's what we do and we're good at it.

This might be my favorite post on this thread to date. Love it Rocky grinning smiley

Date: October 25, 2019 00:21

Not to belabor this, Hairball (I know, a little late now), but I love banter and am often reaching for that rather than trying to needle. I thought our exchange earlier today was likewise meant in fun and not you expressing frustration. In any event, my email is supposed to be public on my profile, anyone who thinks I'm being a particular jerk is always welcome to contact me directly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 00:23 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 25, 2019 00:22

JordyLicks96
Rocky Dijon

This might be my favorite post on this thread to date. Love it Rocky grinning smiley

With you being one of the youngest members on this site, you ain't seen nothing yet.
If and when a new album is ever released, be prepared and buckle up your seatbelt.
It's literally a tornado of varying opinions (as seen in the old Crosseyed Heart and Blue and Loneosme threads).

EDIT: Visual added for emphasis. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-25 00:27 by Hairball.

Date: October 25, 2019 00:29

Hairball
JordyLicks96
Rocky Dijon

With you being one of the youngest members on this site, you ain't seen nothing yet.
If and when a new album is ever released, be prepared and buckle up your seatbelt.
It's literally a tornado of varying opinions (as seen in the old Crosseyed Heart and Blue and Loneosme threads).

EDIT: Visual added for emphasis. winking smiley

Oh I can't wait for that!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...379380381382383384385386387388389...LastNext
Current Page: 384 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home