Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...375376377378379380381382383384385...LastNext
Current Page: 380 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 3, 2019 22:40

There is a reason for essentially the same setlist at every gig and his name is Keith.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: October 3, 2019 22:43

someguy--have you not been to a show recently outside of the pit? the prevalent discussion among the people around me at all shows showed a complete 100% casual fan base--geez, I hope they play satisfaction/I wonder if they will play brown sugar/do they play under my thumb/do they still use those inflatables/ and on and on and on--so yes, my view is that the vast majority of those there are casual fans. I disagree with your assessment that they say, stones, seen em and are done. A Stones concert is an event that they want to say they were at at their next dinner party etc. That's my take on it anyway.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 3, 2019 22:57

Actually the last show I saw was in 2007, after that I wasn't too keen on going to see the same songs and that last time I was on my own because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go see them -and spend money- again.

I think that there's a compromise, play 10 warhorses and 10 not too obscure songs that weren't played for a long time. People who know Gimme Shelter will probably know Let It Bleed and Love In Vain also, let alone Stray Cat Blues, Hot Stuff, 19th Nervous Breakdown, whatever. Surely they have many more well-known songs. For a long time they didn't even play Satisfaction or Sympathy or Rambler. Elsewhere on this forum I have argued that the warhorses that we know today have been MADE warhorses by the Stones themselves, so now people believe they are warhorses that have to be played, when say 30 or 40 years ago they or at least number of them (the warhorses) probably wouldn't have been missed anyway.

Date: October 3, 2019 22:59

rbp
There is a reason for essentially the same setlist at every gig and his name is Keith.

Why? Didn't he push Mick to do Mercy Mercy and others?

Date: October 4, 2019 00:06

DandelionPowderman
rbp

I believe they play it safe for Keith's sake. He is no longer the guitar player that he once was and his ability to adapt to major setlist changes between gigs
would be problematic for him. He copes with 1 or 2 changes per setlist and I think that is about the maximum for him. Of course I could be wrong.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 4, 2019 06:48

rbp
DandelionPowderman
rbp

I believe they play it safe for Keith's sake. He is no longer the guitar player that he once was and his ability to adapt to major setlist changes between gigs
would be problematic for him. He copes with 1 or 2 changes per setlist and I think that is about the maximum for him. Of course I could be wrong.

You're probably wrong only when you think of this as the sole reason. I believe there are a variety of reasons, this is possibly one of them.

Otherwise, I really wonder why they don't do a small handful (just two or three) of "deep cuts-no hits!" shows in selected arenas during every mini-tour in the vein of "Sticky Fingers Live" (where they showed that they could pull something like that off if they really want to). It would give them a bit more artistic credibility and also some interesting material for live releases. It would be the perfect environment to perform all the rare material they've rehearsed over the years and that never or rarely made it into their setlists.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-04 08:14 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 4, 2019 14:39

Fonda show in LA was a revelation, I agree. They can still pull it of. However, the $ guys who back the mega tours and are averaging a $10 million haul per gate for the band dictate what they are going to play unfortunately and that means the mega hits...the show must go on. Too bad because I think more intimate venues and a diverse set list really suits them...but then again $10M is a nice fat number.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2019 05:27

They could do a show with a decent number of recent songs as well as the warhorses... and people would still show up as usual.

THE ROLLING STONES - 2020 VISION TOUR

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Rough Justice
3. Just Your Fool (or a new song)
4. Saint Of Me
5. Biggest Mistake
6. Tumbling Dice
7. Mixed Emotions
8. Love Is Strong
9. Shattered
10. Beast Of Burden
11. You Don't Have To Mean It
12. Happy
13. Miss You
14. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Street Fighting Man
17. Start Me Up
18. Jumpin' Jack Flash
19. Brown Sugar

Date: October 5, 2019 06:47

In my post I only mentioned older songs and forgot about the newer ones, but I agree with this.

Date: October 5, 2019 06:52

GasLightStreet
They could do a show with a decent number of recent songs as well as the warhorses... and people would still show up as usual.

THE ROLLING STONES - 2020 VISION TOUR

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Rough Justice
3. Just Your Fool (or a new song)
4. Saint Of Me
5. Biggest Mistake
6. Tumbling Dice
7. Mixed Emotions
8. Love Is Strong
9. Shattered
10. Beast Of Burden
11. You Don't Have To Mean It
12. Happy
13. Miss You
14. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
15. Honky Tonk Women
16. Street Fighting Man
17. Start Me Up
18. Jumpin' Jack Flash
19. Brown Sugar

agreed

Date: October 5, 2019 08:09

Was hoping to see some talk about the new album here

Posted by: WillInUK ()
Date: October 5, 2019 09:54

Soon be a million posts on this.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 5, 2019 18:52

PaintMonkeyManBlack

There should be news around the end of next month. In the meantime, there'll be silliness, off-topic posts, and temper tantrums that those septuagenarians aren't working harder and how they should do what they did just a couple years ago in 1989.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2019 19:17

With the upcoming rumoured tour dates of March - April (maybe Feb-March/April), there probably won't be any work on the new album during this period, and for several months after that (family time, etc.).
Hope they accomplish something substantial in December.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 5, 2019 19:55

Hairball
With the upcoming rumoured tour dates of March - April (maybe Feb-March/April), there probably won't be any work on the new album during this period, and for several months after that (family time, etc.).

More like December will be time to give out Christmas presents to each other and have meetings with their Business and tax Advisers.

Date: October 5, 2019 20:28

jlowe
Hairball

More like December will be time to give out Christmas presents to each other and have meetings with their Business and tax Advisers.

They didn't need to book a studio to do that smiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2019 20:46

rbp
DandelionPowderman
rbp

That is a very weak argument. Their set list comprises of songs that, for the sake of pointing out guitar playing, Paint It Black is not exactly easy. The intricacies of YCAGWYW requires awareness because of what the song consists of. Songs they can play in their sleep is hilarious but there's a reason they rehearse them still, like JJF - even though they play it with the delicateness of throwing down a carpet, it still has key moments that require awareness and agility. Something that sounds simple, Dancing With Mr D, he pulled off just fine.

Throw in being old - Keith's screw ups are not really any different than ever. He's clammed up a lot of songs over 5 decades of touring - I can't speak for their first decade. It's convenient to say HE'S SO OLD NOW NO WONDER! but if you listen to various live performances of the last 5 decades, he screwed up plenty while being younger.

Not that being old has its downfalls - he struggled immensely with Gimme Shelter in New Orleans to the point that he was playing a completely different song when the band came in. You'd have to ask him why that is.

Date: October 5, 2019 20:49

PaintMonkeyManBlack

By all means, talk about it.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 16:08

BV and Georgelicks, what is in your opinion a reasonable time to see, hopefully, the new studio album released?!I know that it could ever be released...But at this point I think that it sooner or later will be released...2020 in the fall could be a reasonable period?!Thanks for your reply!

Date: October 7, 2019 16:58

mailexile67
BV and Georgelicks, what is in your opinion a reasonable time to see, hopefully, the new studio album released?!I know that it could ever be released...But at this point I think that it sooner or later will be released...2020 in the fall could be a reasonable period?!Thanks for your reply!

Georgelicks has replied to that already. Time to browse back and find it. A tip: use the IORR search function, and do a search on his posts in this very thread.

Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2019 17:16

DandelionPowderman

Georgelicks has replied to that already.

On 9-Sep-2019 - [iorr.org] :

georgelicks

2020 is the farthest the band can look at, everything 2+ years in advance is science fiction.
The band is looking to finish the album sometime during 2020, so if everything is fine a tour in March/April and a new album in Christmas 2020 is the best case scenario.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-07 17:20 by Irix.

Date: October 7, 2019 17:21

Thanks, Irix smiling smiley

Date: October 8, 2019 07:34

Thank you Irix!! I just saw an interview with Mick in 2008 and he comments something interesting. Apparently he's writing new songs since then (5:14) [www.youtube.com]
I hope they can release the new studio album In 2020

Date: October 10, 2019 23:05

Time to change the thread title to New Stones album for 2020?
Get to it BV smiling smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 10, 2019 23:20

Hairball

Um, which December? grinning smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 11, 2019 00:03

rbp

really? I'm not that sure. Don't forget that Keith played five different songs during his mini-set in 2018 (Happy, The Worst, Before They Make Me Run, You Got The Silver and Slipping Away). If the other songs were to be changed like that nobody had a reason to complain about static setlists. In fact a large share of the song variation can be attributed to Keith set.

Date: October 11, 2019 00:11

slewan
rbp

really? I'm not that sure. Don't forget that Keith played five different songs during his mini-set in 2018 (Happy, The Worst, Before They Make Me Run, You Got The Silver and Slipping Away). If the other songs were to be changed like that nobody had a reason to complain about static setlists. In fact a large share of the song variation can be attributed to Keith set.

There was some disturbing news here about The Animals here last week. They refused to play, Eric Burdon actually walked on stage and said they wouldn't play, because they hadn't been paid (some €25,000 I believe). A day or so after, we heard that The Animals hadn't "handed in their set list" until the very last minute before the show, so the promoter or whatever it was, said that they breached their contract, so, no pay.
This actually implies, in my opinion, that the business side of things can dictate which songs a band has to play! I find that rather shocking.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2019 01:07

doitywoik
Hairball

Um, which December? grinning smiley

smiling smiley

I'm hoping before the year 2525.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2019 02:40

Rip This
Fonda show in LA was a revelation, I agree. They can still pull it of. However, the $ guys who back the mega tours and are averaging a $10 million haul per gate for the band dictate what they are going to play unfortunately and that means the mega hits...the show must go on. Too bad because I think more intimate venues and a diverse set list really suits them...but then again $10M is a nice fat number.

I got this for free from the Library. The DVD was indeed quite good. I've got the CD in the car, and I've been listening to it. Some of it's good, but it's not great. They aren't ascending into some new, improved level of musicianship. They're okay.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 11, 2019 03:12

rbp
Time to change the thread title to New Stones album for 2020?
Get to it BV smiling smiley

This thread was started in 2016 pondering if the album would be coming out the following year.
bv has changed the subject line every year since!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...375376377378379380381382383384385...LastNext
Current Page: 380 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home