Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...370371372373374375376377378379380...LastNext
Current Page: 375 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 20, 2019 22:35

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

It wasn't meant as a dig at the Stones or even a comparison, just wishful/hopeful thinking.
If Van can do it, surely the Stones can do it?!!!!

As for live, I've seen him several times in the past including opening for the Stones twice, though one of them was cut short in Nijmegen due to torrential rain and lightening.
His current tour has quite a few more dates than the any of the No Filter legs had, and obviously it won't be seen by as many fans (he's playing small venues), but it certainly won't cost as much either.

Just playin' HB...winking smiley
For the record though (pun intended cool smiley) I paid more to see him in Vegas than any of the six recent Stones shows I attended, and even got an upgrade Lucky Dip style when they closed the nosebleed row for the ticket I bought smileys with beer

thumbs up

As for paying more to see Van in Vegas, you should have also mentioned that for all the six recent Stones shows you attended you had Lucky Dips.
Van doesn't do Lucky Dips, but if he did I'm sure you would have bought those for Vegas making it a fair and square comparison!
But it's really apples and oranges in this case for so many reasons, and pitting the two up against eachother for any reason and/or comparisons is difficult.

But for the sake of it....smiling smiley

Van's recorded output since the Stones released their last album of originals in 2005:

Pay the Devil (2006)
Keep It Simple (2008)
Born to Sing: No Plan B (2012)
Duets: Re-working the Catalogue (2015)
Keep Me Singing (2016)
Roll with the Punches (2017)
Versatile (2017)
You're Driving Me Crazy (2018)
The Prophet Speaks (2018)

Yes there's been some covers amongst all of it, along with songs written by others, as well as duets, and of course some crap, etc., but no denying Van the Man has been a very busy man!
Not to mention the fact that he's been seemingly constantly touring during the last decade.

Listening to that new tune of his again right now, and it has that classic Van sound - there's really no mistaking it - classy with great/minimal production, excellent musicianship, and poetic/thought provoking lyrics.
This is my hope for a new Stones tune/album - something new that might have that classic Stonesy sound. Something of a similar quality to what Van has done, but of course being unique in it's own way.
Not a caricature of their former selves trying to mimic what they once were - simply a statement of who they are today without trying to reinvent the wheel - similar to what Keith did with Crosseyed Heart.

That would not be a dream, but something like a nightmare. Van Morrison has never been in the same league as the Stones, not even when he was in Them.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 20, 2019 22:40

GetYerAngie
Van Morrison has never been in the same league as the Stones, not even when he was in Them

Give me a break. Such a stupid remark.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 20, 2019 22:43

iraq0708
jlowe
Well, the new music from ABBA is delayed until 2020.
And their last release was around 1982.
So, we have to be patient.....15 or so years is nothing really.
The difference is no one cares about an ABBA album....

I suspect a new ABBA album (which probably will not happen) would sell more copies worldwide than a new Sones album.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 20, 2019 22:56

jlowe
iraq0708
jlowe

I suspect a new ABBA album (which probably will not happen) would sell more copies worldwide than a new Sones album.

Probably a pretty safe bet. It's hard to compare them, in terms of historical album sales, but their greatest hits comp - GOLD - has sold 30MM since 1992 while HOT ROCKS has I think sold about 13MM since 1971 ... for whatever that's worth.

Date: September 20, 2019 23:21

Lazarus Smith
Probably a pretty safe bet. It's hard to compare them, in terms of historical album sales, but their greatest hits comp - GOLD - has sold 30MM since 1992 while HOT ROCKS has I think sold about 13MM since 1971 ... for whatever that's worth.

That is quite outstanding considering the fact that ABBA never made it in the states (they never toured there).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2019 00:47

LazarusSmith
Perhaps we should just throw in the towel, go full OT, and start discussing new albums that WERE released in 2019:

I was diggin Brittany Howard's new record on the way to work today!

Neil Young w/Crazy Horse album coming soon, and even though the first two songs released haven't been as great as hoped for and/or expected (imo), still looking forward to it.

Also, a new WHO album very soon!

At this rate, probably have more luck getting a brand new Led Zeppelin album than a new Stones album!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 21, 2019 00:59

Lazarus Smith

ABBA Gold sold more because:

1. ABBA's studio albums are not worth buying.

2. Rolling Stones studio albums are.

3. There are other Stones greatest hits compilations that water Hot Rocks down such as Big Hits 1, Big Hits 2, Rolled Gold, The Singles Collection and so on.

Date: September 21, 2019 01:16

Not worth buying?
Well ABBA's TOTAL record sales, according to some estimates are in the region of 150 million.
Pretty impressive for such a short career.
And they have spawned huge successes with related film and stage shows.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 21, 2019 01:41

Hairball
LazarusSmith
Perhaps we should just throw in the towel, go full OT, and start discussing new albums that WERE released in 2019:

Neil Young w/Crazy Horse album coming soon, and even though the first two songs released haven't been as great as hoped for and/or expected (imo), still looking forward to it.

At this rate, probably have more luck getting a brand new Led Zeppelin album than a new Stones album!

Zepp!!!

Still, I must confess indifference to new material by classic rockers. I mean, I'm glad they're still trying (and I certainly wish The Stones would at least try) but IMHO the results are almost always pale copies of the artists' original majesties.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:45

jlowe
iraq0708
jlowe

Just proves the old adage about the masses loving mediocrity...

Date: September 21, 2019 04:24

LazarusSmith
Hairball
LazarusSmith

Zepp!!!

Still, I must confess indifference to new material by classic rockers. I mean, I'm glad they're still trying (and I certainly wish The Stones would at least try) but IMHO the results are almost always pale copies of the artists' original majesties.

True enough LazarusSmith, and can't argue with that.
But if we really believed the Stones' new album was destined to be pale comparisons of mediocrity, we wouldn't have this 375 page thread of ranting, speculating, hoping, and wishing.
Deep down, and based on their output in this latter era, I feel it can't possibly add anything substantial to their entire catalogue, but even deeper down there's a tiny glimmer of hope that there will be something worthy.
Call it fandom, wishful thinking, unrealistic, fantasy, delusional, or whatever...gotta keep the faith in these desperate times. Always remember - if Van the Man can do it, the Stones can do it too! winking smileythumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 06:24

375 pages.

How bout we all chip out and let this silly thread die before it gets to 400?

Date: September 21, 2019 16:49

iraq0708
jlowe
iraq0708
jlowe

please go and write a song and get back with us. if you know anything about hooks, harmonies, melodies, vocal arrangements the dudes in ABBA that wrote the songs are some of the best song writers in pop music history and the arrangements and layers of the music and vocals in these songs are near impossible to recreate live by any band with a handful of members on stage

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:47

GasLightStreet
375 pages.

Why? They've already booked studio time for December (if not sooner). All that needs to happen is Bjornulf updates the title to NEW STONES ALBUM FOR 2020?
After all, HINDSIGHT is 2020.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 19:13

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
375 pages.

Why? They've already booked studio time for December (if not sooner). All that needs to happen is Bjornulf updates the title to NEW STONES ALBUM FOR 2020?
After all, HINDSIGHT is 2020.

Great. Watch them call "the new album" HINDSIGHT.

Date: September 21, 2019 19:18

HINDSIGHT

If they were to use some of the prime scrapings from the past (and giving them new life) as has been mentioned, that would actually be an appropriate title.
Not necessarily a good title, but better than HONK or A Bigger Bang imo.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 21, 2019 19:44

iraq0708
jlowe
iraq0708
jlowe

Ed sheeran is the best live act ever.

Date: September 21, 2019 20:33

Ed Sheeran is mediocrity, ABBA is not. They did well crafted pop songs. You might not like them but they do not represent mediocrity. They had a unique sound.

Date: September 21, 2019 20:47

Stoneage
Ed Sheeran is mediocrity, ABBA is not. They did well crafted pop songs. You might not like them but they do not represent mediocrity. They had a unique sound.

that and the songs by ABBA are crazy hard to reproduce live because of the layers of musical arrangements and vocals

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 23:19

Tim Rice thought highly enough of ABBA to collaborate on a stage musical with their two songwriters.

Date: September 22, 2019 00:02

Time Rice has massive credentials...maybe he can lend a helping hand to the Stones for the new album?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 22, 2019 00:28

Hairball
maybe he can lend a helping hand to the Stones for the new album?

Maybe he can lend Björn and Benny to the Stones ...

Date: September 22, 2019 00:36

doitywoik
Hairball
maybe he can lend a helping hand to the Stones for the new album?

Maybe he can lend Björn and Benny to the Stones ...

smiling smiley

A cover version of Fernando?

Date: September 22, 2019 00:50

Hairball
Time Rice has massive credentials...maybe he can lend a helping hand to the Stones for the new album?[/quote

Well, Tim Rice is also a great cricket fan. So an immediate rapport with Mick and Charlie.
Perhaps he could help Mick with his lyrics.
Jagger/Rice...sounds ok to me.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 22, 2019 01:24

Time Rice sounds intriguing, but the guy on sax is Tim Ries

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 22, 2019 02:11

Nikkei
Time Rice sounds intriguing, but the guy on sax is Tim Ries

Tim Ries isn't Tim Rice ...so Tim Ries got nothing to do with this Chess / ABBA songwriter collaboration mentioned above as far as I know...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 22, 2019 02:18

That's what I meant, why did a guy named Rice come up? Thought there was a Stones connection

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 05:03

Because someone was making an uninformed dismissal of ABBA, which is what this page of the thread was touching upon.

A nice respite from 375 pages of talking about a nonexistent "new" Stones album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 22, 2019 05:20

It's possibly worth noting that A BIGGER BANG is sometimes abbreviated as ABB on this site which is very close to ABBA. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't have guessed the band name is based on the first names of its members. All these decades I thought they must have been very interested in Aramaic names for God.

HINDSIGHT is 2020, after all.

Date: September 22, 2019 05:26

jlowe
Hairball
Time Rice has massive credentials...maybe he can lend a helping hand to the Stones for the new album?
Well, Tim Rice is also a great cricket fan. So an immediate rapport with Mick and Charlie.
Perhaps he could help Mick with his lyrics.
Jagger/Rice...sounds ok to me.

Then the only question remaining is, can Tim Rice also play guitar?
Is it too late to add a new member to the Stones?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...370371372373374375376377378379380...LastNext
Current Page: 375 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home