Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...368369370371372373374375376377378...LastNext
Current Page: 373 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: September 11, 2019 01:44

audun-eg
DandelionPowderman
One Birds-tune as well, but I think Rocky was thinking of the Glimmers here.
You're right, of course. My point is that Ron hasn't been involved in writing material for the Stones since.... ? Why not? His latest releases clearly shows that he is just as capable as the Glimmers. And who knows if the three of them worked together in a creative process... Not just beeing session musicians on eachothers songs.

Agreed! thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2019 02:28

They could release a million things separately, but since this thread is about a new Stones album, none of those things really matter.
Are we supposed to applaud Superheavy and Getta Grip simply because one of the Stones has been active? Sure a couple of Stones tunes here and there (Grrr),
and some reworked leftovers are nice, but until they release a new album of originals, the last real effort they put out as a functioning band was in 2005 - nearly 15 years ago.
Even Mick mentioned the drought of Stones material with regret not long ago, saying they should have done more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 02:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2019 02:47

Quality is a whole other argument. The Stones, as a recording act, have become an entirely separate entity to the touring band (largely augmented by sidemen) who pay tribute to the band's glorious past. As recording artists, the band creatively ceased to exist and it's simply Jagger-Richards together and apart. Generally speaking, it's been apart for the past 20 years as the list shows. The fact that they've issued dribs and drabs of new songs rather than a string of albums is a reflection of both the economic impact of streaming and their own frustration with the creative process. Mick, according to most signs, is primarily interested in perfecting a batch of songs he already had in place eight years ago. Jagger-Richards, as more than just an attribution, has become an alchemical dream. They mix the ingredients each year, but the results fail to produce gold and remain leaden.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2019 02:59

Rocky Dijon
Quality is a whole other argument. The Stones, as a recording act, have become an entirely separate entity to the touring band (largely augmented by sidemen) who pay tribute to the band's glorious past. As recording artists, the band creatively ceased to exist and it's simply Jagger-Richards together and apart. Generally speaking, it's been apart for the past 20 years as the list shows. The fact that they've issued dribs and drabs of new songs rather than a string of albums is a reflection of both the economic impact of streaming and their own frustration with the creative process. Mick, according to most signs, is primarily interested in perfecting a batch of songs he already had in place eight years ago. Jagger-Richards, as more than just an attribution, has become an alchemical dream. They mix the ingredients each year, but the results fail to produce gold and remain leaden.

Exactly. An occasional cut you would hear more than once. Love Is Strong. You Got Me Rocking. Anybody Seen My Baby. Rough Justice and Doom and Gloom. That's about it. Although I can repeatedly listen to Blue and Lomesome repeatedly. Mick is still a great lyricist and singer. I found Warring People by Superheavy to have been a great song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2019 03:26

Same with Mr Zimmerman … Highlands and
Things Have Changed are all that hits the mark ….

And rather be banished like an outlaw to some
Australian mountain range with Blue and Lonesome than Triplicate ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 11, 2019 06:25

Yeah, a Glimmer Triad would certainly could certainly be a way out of all too well-trodden paths.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 06:48

At least they are going back in the studio to take another swing at it. Better than giving up.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 10:59

mpj200
At least they are going back in the studio to take another swing at it. Better than giving up.

They are? Who/when/where was this said?

Rod

Date: September 11, 2019 11:58

bitusa2012
mpj200

Right now smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 12:01

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
mpj200

Right now smiling smiley

How do we know this though?

Rod

Date: September 11, 2019 12:26

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012
mpj200

Right now smiling smiley

How do we know this though?

Because we got no choice but to trust the wee bit of info we get from insiders here smiling smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: September 11, 2019 12:37

!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-16 14:36 by tioms.

Date: September 11, 2019 15:03

bitusa2012
mpj200

Along with mpj200 having demonstrated real connections that have never led anyone astray; Soldatti already heard from his Universal source that the next studio session is booked for the beginning of December. The band, Don Was, and the label continue to mention the album as a work-in-progress. We can grumble all we like that these very old men only pick at the album a few times each year when we would rather see them hunker down and work for months to complete it. The truth is there will be another release one way or another. There is a contract and something will be delivered either in the band's own time or post-Stones.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:58

Rockman

Ya don't dig "pay in blood" or "early roman kings" or "roll on john" or "scarlet town," rockeeee? get the wax outta yer ears, son!

Date: September 11, 2019 20:06

LazarusSmith
Rockman

Ya don't dig "pay in blood" or "early roman kings" or "roll on john" or "scarlet town," rockeeee? get the wax outta yer ears, son!

Ha...not to mention Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft in their entirety, as well as Tell Tale Signs w/all the extra tracks.

That said, would be nice for a new album of Dylan originals some day.
Been seven long years since the last one, but at least it hasn't been 15!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 11, 2019 20:42

Hairball
LazarusSmith
Rockman

Ha...not to mention Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft in their entirety, as well as Tell Tale Signs w/all the extra tracks.

That said, would be nice for a new album of Dylan originals some day.
Been seven long years since the last one, but at least it hasn't been 15!

Yeah I gotta admit I listen to the latter day Dylan stuff (Time Out Of Mind and later) as much as or more than his earlier stuff. There's just something about the grizzled gravitas in those records that as I've gotten older I'm really intrigued by. Only "newish" Dylan record of originals that left me a bit cold was that one with all the accordion on it, I think it has the number about my wife's hometown is Hell or something like that.

Date: September 15, 2019 02:13

I'm confident it's just a matter of time until Zim's next album will pop up out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he had already recorded another 20 or so songs that he holds back for whatever reason. Dunno, I'm not following each and every bit of Bob news, but could his band be approached for info or are they subject to a vow of secrecy?

Date: September 17, 2019 00:01

Oh no, this post isn't going away. We must make 400 pages to take the Guiness Record for most pointless post that adds up to nothing.

Date: September 17, 2019 05:22

Never fear, it'll update for 2020.

Date: September 17, 2019 06:42

I went to the first post to see when this pointless exercise began. September 9, 2016. We have passed the three year point of absolutely nothing. There's an earlier post about their debut album that mentions the 'new album' in 2015. The last 'new' single, Doom and Gloom, was 7 years ago! Blue and Lonesome will be three years old in December. Meanwhile they soak up the bread, playing Greatest Hits for as many rubes as can fit in a stadium. These are gravy days for what's left of the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 17, 2019 18:51

24FPS
Oh no, this post isn't going away. We must make 400 pages to take the Guiness Record for most pointless post that adds up to nothing.

Of course. Life would be intolerable if we weren't speculating about a new album.
When it comes...there will be a terrible emptiness across Mother Earth......nothing to talk about.
Except maybe the track listings.
And chart placings.

Date: September 17, 2019 19:12

What's so ridiculous about it? They finally returned to the studio in December 2015. For a while, it was hoped/expected that 2016 would bring both BLUE AND LONESOME and a new album of originals. Ronnie and Charlie were happy enough to go along with the program of cutting what was primarily demos Mick had worked up with Matt. Keith didn't care for the results and neither did Don Was.

BLUE AND LONESOME made it out in December 2016. Mick took two of his and Matt's songs cut with Ronnie and Charlie and released them as a solo single in July 2017 without Keith and Don Was' involvement. In the two years and two months since then, Mick and Keith have written songs together, Keith has changed musical direction of some of Mick's existing songs, Keith has worked up some songs with Steve Jordan. Mick has gone forward and been more experimental in both arranging and producing material. Mick has also gone forward and concentrated on more roots-based bluesy material.

The result is a mess of unfinished tracks as well as finished tracks not everyone will sign off on and various mixes and arrangements of completed compositions. Until they feel they have a cohesive album that works for Mick, Keith, Don, and Universal they'll keep at it. If they announced they're in the final stages and took another year and a half to finish, some of us would be ready to jump off ledges. They're not in a rush. It won't sell four million copies worldwide. It's the project they putter around with in the garage until they're satisfied. Not one person, not even two, but three major stakeholders and a label agreeing on the Final Statement by a major act who are pushing 80 years old.

But by all means, tell those near-octogenarians to hurry it up.

Date: September 17, 2019 19:20

I am not sure why the album has to be 'cohesive'.
If you listen to some of The Beatles albums, they hardly fit that description.
Take The White album.Full of different styles, moods, arrangements...its sheer scale and depth means it has stood the test of time, as confirmed by the reviews of the most recent deluxe edition.
Personally I would quite like to hear a Charlie inspired jazz instrumental on the new album...or a hint of 'world music' (not necessarily Moroccan! ).
Will not happen, of course.

Date: September 17, 2019 19:30

Eclectic is fine, what they don't want is a compilation of tracks that sound like two conflicting visions for the band warring for dominance. Believe it or not, they're both trying for harmony because they both want the album to be received as stronger than people expect.

Soldatti and mpj200 can likely say more than I can on that front. The last bits of info I heard that I tried to get their confirmation on were met with silence so we'll see if they respond to this.

Sometimes all you can do is bait your hook and see if you get a nibble.

Date: September 17, 2019 19:42

"....both trying for harmony...'
This sounds like the UK Brexit conundrum re the Irish border problem where people are wanting an outcome that may not exist!
Anyway, live in hope...or die despair, as they say.

Date: September 17, 2019 19:42

jlowe
When it comes...there will be a terrible emptiness across Mother Earth......nothing to talk about.

Once the present new album is out there'll soon be thread "Next New Stones album for whenever" to carry on speculating. One way or other, there'll always be a next album some of us will wish to be released soon (and it better be a good one). So no need to be afraid of album turkey ... winking smiley

Otherwise I believe this thread here adequately mirrors the progress made on the (present) new album spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

jlowe
Except maybe the track listings.
And chart placings.

Tracklisting could be anticipated as well. Every poster here just make their guess what tracks there will be on the new album - and when it is there we can complain for many pages in case they they chose to deviate from our choices or even dared to change the song titles ... LOL

Date: September 17, 2019 19:55

Deja vu - nothing new, back to the studio and/or "hit a wall" in three months, December, 2019.
Meanwhile, Honk and the rerelease of Mick's solo catalogue (lol) should appease some Stones fans.

As for me, still floating in the good vibes of the recent leg of NoFilter tour (and the two prior legs).
Maybe there will be an official souvenir release of that - something a bit more substantial than having some live tracks slapped on a version of Honk.
And then there's the next leg of No Filter....Australia, Asia, and wherever else is rumoured.

Any hope of a new Stones album has taken a back seat to everything else they've been doing. Will believe it when I hear it...probably 2022 or 2023/24.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 17, 2019 22:24

Rocky Dijon
What's so ridiculous about it? They finally returned to the studio in December 2015. For a while, it was hoped/expected that 2016 would bring both BLUE AND LONESOME and a new album of originals. Ronnie and Charlie were happy enough to go along with the program of cutting what was primarily demos Mick had worked up with Matt. Keith didn't care for the results and neither did Don Was.

BLUE AND LONESOME made it out in December 2016. Mick took two of his and Matt's songs cut with Ronnie and Charlie and released them as a solo single in July 2017 without Keith and Don Was' involvement. In the two years and two months since then, Mick and Keith have written songs together, Keith has changed musical direction of some of Mick's existing songs, Keith has worked up some songs with Steve Jordan. Mick has gone forward and been more experimental in both arranging and producing material. Mick has also gone forward and concentrated on more roots-based bluesy material.

The result is a mess of unfinished tracks as well as finished tracks not everyone will sign off on and various mixes and arrangements of completed compositions. Until they feel they have a cohesive album that works for Mick, Keith, Don, and Universal they'll keep at it. If they announced they're in the final stages and took another year and a half to finish, some of us would be ready to jump off ledges. They're not in a rush. It won't sell four million copies worldwide. It's the project they putter around with in the garage until they're satisfied. Not one person, not even two, but three major stakeholders and a label agreeing on the Final Statement by a major act who are pushing 80 years old.

But by all means, tell those near-octogenarians to hurry it up.
Hurry it up.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 18, 2019 06:23

jlowe
I am not sure why the album has to be 'cohesive'.
If you listen to some of The Beatles albums, they hardly fit that description.
Take The White album.Full of different styles, moods, arrangements...its sheer scale and depth means it has stood the test of time, as confirmed by the reviews of the most recent deluxe edition.
Personally I would quite like to hear a Charlie inspired jazz instrumental on the new album...or a hint of 'world music' (not necessarily Moroccan! ).
Will not happen, of course.

Dijon simply means besides the strongest songs they have which are no-brainers they must include others chosen have to ..'fit' .. Doesn't have to be all the exact same genre or whatever but the songs must run together or all of them combined at least fit the picture of an album .. even if it is pretty eclectic or a mix of different stuff. It still needs to at least make good sense, sees smiling smiley

Ian

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 18, 2019 12:47

The next threads will be when is a delux version out, what has happened to the 29 left over songs, and how many outtakes unfinshed songs may or may not be released.

Guys just mix the whole lot and put out tripple cd like some girls should
have been didn't dylan just put out a 12 cd set, and has done before more blood more tracks, complete basement tapes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...368369370371372373374375376377378...LastNext
Current Page: 373 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home