Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...365366367368369370371372373374375...LastNext
Current Page: 370 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2019 09:58

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Hi Ian smiling smiley.

I thought it was mentioned by a source somewhere in this 369 page thread that they had some leftovers dating back to Steel Wheels that they might be attempting to dust off and give a new coat of paint?
Is this incorrect? Whatever the case, nearly 15 years since a new albums of originals is quite unbelievable and even despicable...it better be GREAT!!!

Why is that dispicable?

Nearly 15 years without a new album of originals, that's why.
Not sure what your point is with the Tattoo You reference, but if memory serves it came out only one year after Emotional Rescue.
And while it was made up of leftovers spanning several years, that's not the point...nearly 15 years without an album of originals is the point.

Date: September 5, 2019 10:05

LazarusSmith
Hairball
The main difference between the two is [b

Trouble is a thousand times better of a song unless you base quality on streaming numbers.

That seems like a claim that must be backed up by data! Wherein does its greatness lie, and how is it calculated? Is it possible it's only two hundred times better a song ... or are you sure about the thousand times better? Alternatively, could it be that you just LIKE it more? smiling smiley

Ha yeah, I was going to add "in my opinion", but seems it's nearly a unanimous opinion amongst most Stones fans.
Be it a hundred times better, a thousand times better...maybe even a million times better? smiling smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 5, 2019 17:51

Though I did not dislike England's Lost at all, and to be wholly damned i might add: exspecially the version with the rapped interlude spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, I have to say that I don't believe anymore (have I ever? mmmh) that Mick's more open mind to new stuff is open enough that he can come up with really good "different" stuff.
So at this point Keith's narrower but more consistent retro attitude is the only life jacket we have to hope for a good new stones album if it will ever see the light of day.

crosseyed heart is the living proof of that, a good (troble included) and in some parts brilliant old fashioned album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 17:58 by maumau.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 5, 2019 17:58

maumau
Though I did not dislike England's Lost at all, and to be wholly damned i might add: exspecially the version with the rapped interlude spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, I have to say that I don't believe anymore (have I ever? mmmh) that Mick's more open mind to new stuff is open enough that he can come up with really good "different" stuff.
So at this point Keith's narrower but more consistent retro attitude is the only life jacket we have to hope for a good new stones album if it will ever see the light of day.

crosseyed heart is the living proof of that, a good and in some parts brilliant old fashioned album

This

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 5, 2019 18:08

Imagine a mashup of Trouble > Getta Grip > England Lost...sort of impossible to ponder I guess, and maybe that's the dilemma when Mick and Keith try and cooperate/collaborate on new material.
The true common thread that binds them together at this point is the Blues (as heard on Blue and Lonesome), but it seemed Mick was a bit reluctant at the idea and even sheepish.
Maybe the Grammy win and ultimate "success" will inspire them to write some original blues tunes to help flesh out an album that includes the other original tunes they're having trouble dealing with.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 5, 2019 18:26

If you are right, @Hairball, why don't we already have two or three solo records instead???

I would prefer those over anything Don fu%&§$+ Was "produces".
He destroyed the recording Stones long ago, in my opinion.

Date: September 5, 2019 18:28

yes the blues, and to be honest I can hear quite easily that"common ground" between those songs. so I really can't see the problem a part from mick's wannabe up to date with the last club groove product

let's hope they're reading you Hairball grinning smiley

CEH imo is good in that it is a very consistent record, maybe what Mick looks for and what they are more apart is variety. In some interviews on old stones records Mick seems in fact a little bit obsessed with variety. like SF having too many "sad" songs for example

listening to CEH Keith does certainly not seem bothered by lack of variety smiling smiley

dunno

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 18:37 by maumau.

Date: September 5, 2019 18:39

micawber
If you are right, @Hairball, why don't we already have two or three solo records instead???

I've been suggesting that since page one of this thread almost three years ago...probably even longer than that!

maumau

You also maumau.thumbs up
And even Ian Billen who would have made sure a new album of originals was finished years ago.
Like a military drill instructor yelling his brains out..."GET TO WORK DAMMIT"!!!angry smiley

lol....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 18:40 by Hairball.

Date: September 5, 2019 18:57

Hairball

And even Ian Billen who would have made sure a new album of originals was finished years ago.
Like a military drill instructor yelling his brains out..."GET TO WORK DAMMIT"!!!angry smiley

lol....

ahahahahahah smileys with beer

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 5, 2019 19:20

Mick might write lyrics all the time but he doesn't bother coming up with any singing melody lines. Sure there were some, but YGMR, IGW, RFD, ONNYA, DNG his Superheavy stuff and his recent singles are all examples for a spoken word approach where his cadences go up and down on the root chord. You can basically read these lyrics in writing and imagine exactly what it would sound like. Mick is as delusional as Keith in some respects. He's so confident in his skill that he forgets to actually apply it and that has been going on for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 19:24 by Nikkei.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 5, 2019 23:58

maumau
Though I did not dislike England's Lost at all, and to be wholly damned i might add: exspecially the version with the rapped interlude spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, ...

Hey, we're all free to like or dislike whatever we want! If you like the song and that particular version of it that's totally OK. It's all just a matter of personal taste, and nobody's preferences are better or worse than anybody else's! smiling smiley

maumau
... I have to say that I don't believe anymore (have I ever? mmmh) that Mick's more open mind to new stuff is open enough that he can come up with really good "different" stuff.

crosseyed heart is the living proof of that, a good (troble included) and in some parts brilliant old fashioned album

Good post! To me, Grip and Lost sound a bit (or much?) like trying to be fresh and modern. That is, to me, one can hear the intention behind it. Like grampa trying to do something that's meant to be cool with the youngsters. Basically there is nothing wrong with that and if that is where Mick feels he should direct his creativity so let him do it. To me, the difference is just that in their heydays, the Stones sounded like what they were at that time, at that age. Albums like SF or EOMS to me don't sound like chasing after the market of the 19 year olds or so, they don't sound forced.

That's perhaps what sets Keith's CH apart from Mick's single. It's just Keith doing his thing, for better or worse, not (too much) trying (or pretending). Yet a bit of Mick wouldn't have hurt.

To me, Mick and Keith's solo work is a bit like Rog and Dave post-classic Floyd, where in either's work one (or, at least, I) often wished a bit of the respective other guy would be there. (And now let's see if Hairball calls me to order ... winking smiley)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2019 02:22

LazarusSmith
Send It To me
What's "great"? If the standard is Sticky Fingers, we may be waiting a while.

No shit.

How many "truly" great, absolutely "A+," "perfect" songs have the Stones written in the past 40 years? Songs that have become warhorses and that will be what people 100 years from now think of when they think of the band? Zero? One?

And, now, with them in their 70's, we're hearing they'll wait till they come up with TEN of them before they release anything?

LOL

My guess is that they may have 40 somethings but that those 40 somethings just don't quite measure up ... to "Doom and Gloom" or "Oh No Not You Again" or even "England's Grip."

Yes that's the problem, the odds of them coming up with something "great" at this stage is, well zero, so the album will never come out if they stick to that.

On the other hand they've never produced any real "rubbish" over the years, maybe "Suck on the Jugular", "Don't Wanna Go Home", "Infamy"...Based on the snippets we've heard from Mick the stuff is certainly as listenable as anything that was on ABB so why not. We'll all be like kids in the leadup anyway and for a few weeks. After all it's only RnR and we like it !

As Georgelicks pointed out earlier this year, it's a shame they didn't release 4/5 tracks regularly, maybe at the start of each new "section" of the never ending tour, to avoid the "drama"/"pressure" of putting out a GREAT new album. If anyone could afford to "change" the rules it was them, but...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 6, 2019 07:11

Hairball
micawber

I've been suggesting that since page one of this thread almost three years ago...probably even longer than that!

maumau

You also maumau.thumbs up

lol....

IE:

Ya gonna follow the beat .. or do I gotta whip ya?!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2019 07:47

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Hi Ian smiling smiley.

I thought it was mentioned by a source somewhere in this 369 page thread that they had some leftovers dating back to Steel Wheels that they might be attempting to dust off and give a new coat of paint?
Is this incorrect? Whatever the case, nearly 15 years since a new albums of originals is quite unbelievable and even despicable...it better be GREAT!!!

Why is that dispicable?

Not sure what your point is with the Tattoo You reference, but if memory serves it came out only one year after Emotional Rescue.
And while it was made up of leftovers spanning several years, that's not the point...nearly 15 years without an album of originals is the point.

The point is... it could be really good! At this point, considering the time span since the last new album, what's the harm in going back to tracks from 1989?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Of course I understand. But... they've done it before, albeit nowhere near as long. Maybe the tracks are really good. Considering how they (MICK) choose what tracks to go on an LP... just as with a lot of previous albums, there are some most likely stellar tracks just turning to dust.

Date: September 6, 2019 07:55

maumau

I've never known that "modern" production was better than "retro attitude" when the retro attitude is just making a record.

Which could mean that Jason Isbell's albums are "retro attitude" because he doesn't have drum looped sampled sounds on his albums? Because Mick did something modern - again, way past its initial surge in use - makes it automatically better?

Pure absurdity.

I get it it. The truth of the matter is, how is it used. Mick's 2 tracks, one being absolutely awful, the other being quite interesting and seemingly a bit of a nod to his snot nosed past, have an immediateness to them, yet Keith's album has a genuine warmth to it.

I like the option of hearing both... but Keith's albums revolve around musicianship where as Mick's don't.

Date: September 6, 2019 08:00

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Hi Ian smiling smiley.

Why is that dispicable?

The point is... it could be really good! At this point, considering the time span since the last new album, what's the harm in going back to tracks from 1989?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Of course I understand. But... they've done it before, albeit nowhere near as long. Maybe the tracks are really good. Considering how they (MICK) choose what tracks to go on an LP... just as with a lot of previous albums, there are some most likely stellar tracks just turning to dust.

I agree and have never had a problem with them going deep and digging up nuggets from the past - in this case even as far back to Steel Wheels if that's what it takes to get it done.
And for your sake, maybe even a little further back with some leftovers from Dirty Work!

Date: September 6, 2019 08:13

Hairball
I agree and have never had a problem with them going deep and digging up nuggets from the past - in this case even as far back to Steel Wheels if that's what it takes to get it done.
And for your sake, maybe even a little further back with some leftovers from Dirty Work!

You say you have never had a problem with them "going deep and digging up nuggets from the past" but then say something that has zero to do with what you said.

I don't want shined turds.

Date: September 6, 2019 08:22

GasLightStreet
Hairball

You say you have never had a problem with them "going deep and digging up nuggets from the past" but then say something that has zero to do with what you said.

Not all nuggets turn out to be diamonds, and with a bit of polishing maybe a shined turd would be better than nothing - at least they would have something new.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 6, 2019 08:57

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball

Not all nuggets turn out to be diamonds, and with a bit of polishing maybe a shined turd would be better than nothing - at least they would have something new.

There is said to material they are currently working on that dates all the way back to the Aftermath sessions. smiling bouncing smiley

Ian

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 6, 2019 09:11

In the old days (not that long ago) bands rented a studio for three days and went in and recorded an album (or EP). Often on first take.
I think it was one of their engineers (was it Glyn Johns?) who said that the Stones always did too many takes on everything.
He said that the first takes were always the best ones. Still they insisted on doing 15 more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 09:12 by Stoneage.

Date: September 6, 2019 11:25

GasLightStreet
maumau

I've never known that "modern" production was better than "retro attitude" when the retro attitude is just making a record.

Which could mean that Jason Isbell's albums are "retro attitude" because he doesn't have drum looped sampled sounds on his albums? Because Mick did something modern - again, way past its initial surge in use - makes it automatically better?

Pure absurdity.

I get it it. The truth of the matter is, how is it used. Mick's 2 tracks, one being absolutely awful, the other being quite interesting and seemingly a bit of a nod to his snot nosed past, have an immediateness to them, yet Keith's album has a genuine warmth to it.

I like the option of hearing both... but Keith's albums revolve around musicianship where as Mick's don't.

Where exactly did I wrote that modern production is better than a retro attitude? Actually I concluded the opposite, cheers smileys with beer

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 16:24

Rarities 1971-2003 want to release this year is true what I have read Is true.

Date: September 6, 2019 19:10

GasLightStreet

Check out Jeff Koons' dog turd sculpture ... grinning smiley

Date: September 6, 2019 21:51

doitywoik
GasLightStreet

Check out Jeff Koons' dog turd sculpture ... grinning smiley

This thread has taken another unexpected detour!
And then there's this massive inflatable sculpture from Paul McCarthy: Inflatable Turd

At 370 pages, this is where we've ended up....winking smiley.
Hopefully Don Was will give us another thought-provoking quote to ponder (lol),
but it'll probably be just more of the same old poop for the next few months... maybe even longer.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-06 23:09 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:10

In the meantime we have the new albums by The Who, Robbie Robertson, Twin Peaks, Neil Young to look forward to.

What did BV say, something about staying in shape for the time when the Stones album gets released....eye popping smiley

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 6, 2019 22:37

yes--and Van Morrison is working on his 5th or 6th LP for the year....

Date: September 7, 2019 01:41

IanBillen
There is said to material they are currently working on that dates all the way back to the Aftermath sessions. smiling bouncing smiley

Ian

Make it "all the way back to 1962" and we'll get another blues album! grinning smiley

Date: September 7, 2019 01:54

Hairball
And then there's this massive inflatable sculpture from Paul McCarthy: Inflatable Turd

Now this thread is really turning educational! I didn't know that one!

They're turds alright, and not even on the run ... winking smiley

Hairball
but it'll probably be just more of the same old poop for the next few months... maybe even longer.

.. and in the meanwhile we can make good use of the time spotting further turd sculptures! Here's another lot, even with some on-the-run factor ... winking smiley

[www.euronews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-07 02:12 by doitywoik.

Date: September 7, 2019 04:55

doitywoik
Hairball

Now this thread is really turning educational! I didn't know that one!

They're turds alright, and not even on the run ... winking smiley

Hairball

.. and in the meanwhile we can make good use of the time spotting further turd sculptures! Here's another lot, even with some on-the-run factor ... winking smiley

[www.euronews.com]

Lol nice discovery doitywoik...thumbs up...those turds are the crème de la crème (for lack of a better term)!smiling smiley

"The last one is a big pile — somewhat meringue like" grinning smiley

If the Stones would release turds of this quality, most people would be quite pleased!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...365366367368369370371372373374375...LastNext
Current Page: 370 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home