Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...364365366367368369370371372373374...LastNext
Current Page: 369 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: September 4, 2019 10:39

Spud
DiegoGlimmerStones
[www.kshe95.com]

...Don Was, who has been co-producing the Stones since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, told us that over the course of the new album sessions, a tremendous amount of material has been tracked by the band. According to him, Jagger and Richards simply haven’t created the album they want to release yet: “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough — it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album’ll come out.”

[www.kshe95.com]

40 tracks eh ?

can't decide ? So release four albums grinning smiley
That would be amazing! thumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 4, 2019 13:08

Oh Crap!....Townsend is also saying the songs are on the new WHO album to
be released mid november....so what you say!

Its the xmas market ie B&L did the same....and can anyone agree or disagree
that the market does not want a stones and who album at the same time.

ukcal

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2019 13:16

doitywoik
Welcome back, Ian! smiling smiley

IanBillen
The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

I guess Mick came with a bag of songs (and Keith had to snatch one from his solo album).

IanBillen
they do not just want a good record .. or just another real good record ... they want to make this one great.

Aw, they say that all the time, before each album. Imagine Mick or Keith saying, "We agreed that this time we'll only make a mediocre one" - no way!

And for perspective, I'm sure Mick thought Getta Grip/England Lost were great tunes. (lol)
So just because Mick thinks something is "great" doesn't necessarily mean it is, and probably 99.9% of the worlds population would disagree with the so-called "greatness" of those tunes.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 4, 2019 13:28

ukcal

ukcal

The market has become close to irrelevant. Releasing records before christmas is the last marketing tool they have left and basically that effect is down to non-fans buying the record for fans who end up with multiple copies.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 4, 2019 13:36

Forget great. That is behind them. And in today's streaming landscape albums aren't what they used to be. I would settle with good. And interesting. And a big radio hit wouldn't hurt.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 4, 2019 14:25

Stoneage
Forget great. That is behind them. And in today's streaming landscape albums aren't what they used to be. I would settle with good. And interesting. And a big radio hit wouldn't hurt.

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 4, 2019 15:10

I just hope Mick and Keith's idea of interesting are in line. Mick gets what Keith sees and Keith sees what Mick is providing. Then we'll get something special...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 4, 2019 15:49

Stoneage
Forget great. That is behind them.

you're right here. a good album is all we can expect reasonably.

don't agree about the "landscape". of course if mick still dreams about the kind of commercial succcess that today is ed sheeran's, ariana grande's or the likes, you're right and they should ditch the very idea of an album.

I think with B&L they should have understood what kind of global success they can still go for. and for that, the album format can be still relevant either for the target of people interested in a stones album in 2020 and for the niche resurrection of the vinyl market.

me thinks all this should also suggest them something about what it should sound like..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 15:50 by maumau.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 17:44

The new studio album will sell more than 2,5 million...Not bad at all

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 5, 2019 00:14

Hairball
doitywoik

IanBillen
The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

I guess Mick came with a bag of songs (and Keith had to snatch one from his solo album).

IanBillen
they do not just want a good record .. or just another real good record ... they want to make this one great.

Aw, they say that all the time, before each album. Imagine Mick or Keith saying, "We agreed that this time we'll only make a mediocre one" - no way!

And for perspective, I'm sure Mick thought Getta Grip/England Lost were great tunes. (lol)
So just because Mick thinks something is "great" doesn't necessarily mean it is, and probably 99.9% of the worlds population would disagree with the so-called "greatness" of those tunes.

And for further perspective, the only thing more anemic than "Gotta Get a Grip"'s streaming numbers are the numbers for Keith's "Trouble" single (5 million compared to 1.7 million.) These guys can't get arrested outside the band!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 5, 2019 00:54

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen
So .. technically they started this album in 2012 .... if they are counting (which it seems they are .. prolly due to a song or songs coming from that session which is in the mix for the next record). The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

Technically, This album has been seven years in the making so far .. (though long breaks have occurred at many segments during).

I am certain they have >>loads<< of material ... however .. as was noted .. some of it has to be darn good material to matter or count as anything!

Now.. with that said ..here is to hoping they recon-vein this late fall to finish it up by earlier next year. My guess is a earlier Spring Release.

I'm sure there are songs they've been writing for years, but D&G and OMS were the only two songs worked on during the 2012 sessions. I don't consider an album in the making until the whole band starts recording it in the studio. That would be in December 2015.

It appears you need to learn a bit more about The Rolling Stones from 1969-1983.

I know plenty my friend. I know songs began life in sessions for other albums. EXILE didn't start it's own sessions until July 1971. I know the album had a bunch of tracks started in 1969-70. You're missing my point. The Stones didn't actually start this new album until December 2015. Of course these songs have been around probably written years ago. They can use songs from way back in '89, but that doesn't mean this album started its life in '89.

So the album has not been in the making for 7 years. The band didn't agree to start the new album in 2012. That 5 day session in Aug. 2012 was for 2 songs specifically for a compilation album. They agreed to start tracking new songs for a new album in December 2015.

Do you see my point? No need to get sarcastic, because this 23 year old can out knowledge you about The Rolling Stones any day of the week.

Date: September 5, 2019 00:59

LazarusSmith
Hairball
doitywoik

IanBillen

IanBillen

And for further perspective, the only thing more anemic than "Gotta Get a Grip"'s streaming numbers are the numbers for Keith's "Trouble" single (5 million compared to 1.7 million.) These guys can't get arrested outside the band!

The main difference between the two is Trouble is a thousand times better of a song unless you base quality on streaming numbers.
There's even a good possibility Getta Grip might have been a decent tune (at least listenable) had Keith decided to be involved - but as we know he vetoed the idea altogether.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 5, 2019 01:27

ukcal
....and can anyone agree or disagree

I guess that round these days, the folks that make up the target group(s) for a new Who or Stones album could afford to buy two albums at the same time. They're no longer 13 year olds saving their pocket money.

Date: September 5, 2019 02:33

Hairball
LazarusSmith

The main difference between the two is Trouble is a thousand times better of a song unless you base quality on streaming numbers.
There's even a good possibility Getta Grip might have been a decent tune (at least listenable) had Keith decided to be involved - but as we know he vetoed the idea altogether.

To my taste, neither is a great song. I acknowledge that Mick tried to come up with something new or different from the usual formula, and I understand that Keith refused it for not being Stones material. I'm not sure what Keith could have added to Grip apart from some riffing, which IMO would not have saved the song or made it any better. Trouble has certainly developed quite a bit since the Paris sessions but Keith still didn't manage to come up with a proper intro or riff. Not sure Mick could have added much apart from different lyrics. Trouble is certainly more stonesy than Grip but in the context of a Stones album it would have rather been among the second-rate songs.

If 5 million people decided to stream Grip then that's the way it is. (And I have no clue who to compare today's streaming to airplay or sales of singles e.g. in the 70s or 80s). Keith's tune maybe had less streams but Keith had album sales. And however meagre they may have been as compared to album sales in the 70s, every local band in my area would dream of having such sales once in their lifetime.

Regarding a "mature" new Stones album, something "along the vibes" of CH might be an option, though not necessarily what Mick wants.

Date: September 5, 2019 03:28

doitywoik
Hairball
LazarusSmith

To my taste, neither is a great song. I acknowledge that Mick tried to come up with something new or different from the usual formula, and I understand that Keith refused it for not being Stones material. I'm not sure what Keith could have added to Grip apart from some riffing, which IMO would not have saved the song or made it any better. Trouble has certainly developed quite a bit since the Paris sessions but Keith still didn't manage to come up with a proper intro or riff. Not sure Mick could have added much apart from different lyrics. Trouble is certainly more stonesy than Grip but in the context of a Stones album it would have rather been among the second-rate songs.

If 5 million people decided to stream Grip then that's the way it is. (And I have no clue who to compare today's streaming to airplay or sales of singles e.g. in the 70s or 80s). Keith's tune maybe had less streams but Keith had album sales. And however meagre they may have been as compared to album sales in the 70s, every local band in my area would dream of having such sales once in their lifetime.

Regarding a "mature" new Stones album, something "along the vibes" of CH might be an option, though not necessarily what Mick wants.

I think they want this new album to be eclectic, but not straying too far away from a Stonesy sound. BRIDGES TO BABYLON was very eclectic, and in that regard it succeeded, but it wasn't Stonesy enough for my taste. It felt like Mick songs and Keith songs thrown together and labeled a Rolling Stones album. Like Don Was said, they have 40 songs, and they definitely want it to be eclectic but still be recognizable as the Stones. "Grip" I think could have worked around to be a Stones song, but it doesn't give anything more than being album filler. "Trouble" is good and would be typical Stones but that's it. For the first time, in my opinion, since SOME GIRLS, they're really thinking towards putting out a solid effort album, 10 songs that are great from start to finish.

They're not being rushed to put out an album for a world tour. They're taking their time, putting in the effort in making sure this one stands out than any album they've put out since TATTOO YOU. Do I expect it to be better than SOME GIRLS or TATTOO YOU? Absolutely not, and I don't want it to be. I want a Stones album that I know they put in all their efforts on to be a final testament for their career. That's what's exciting to me about this album. This will almost certainly be the last album, and they know they want it to be special. They don't want to put out just a "good album." They want it to be "great" and I have all the faith that they're going to do just that.

I have a gut feeling by September 2020, we'll have this new album out, and it sure as hell will be a memorable one. I CAN'T WAIT smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 03:34 by JordyLicks96.

Date: September 5, 2019 03:51

JordyLicks96
They don't want to put out just a "good album." They want it to be "great" and I have all the faith that they're going to do just that.

I think this was already mentioned, but was there ever a time when they didn't want a new album to be "great"?
Toiling and bickering away for hours, days, weeks, months, and years on end in a studio with the goal being average to good? Just doesn't make any sense - every album they release is supposed to be great.
Will the new one meet the standard of "greatness"? Not so sure based on Getta Grip/England Lost, but with Crosseyed Heart and Blue in Lonesome in mind there's always hope.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 5, 2019 04:04

JordyLicks96
IanBillen
So .. technically they started this album in 2012 .... if they are counting (which it seems they are .. prolly due to a song or songs coming from that session which is in the mix for the next record). The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

Technically, This album has been seven years in the making so far .. (though long breaks have occurred at many segments during).

I am certain they have >>loads<< of material ... however .. as was noted .. some of it has to be darn good material to matter or count as anything!

Now.. with that said ..here is to hoping they recon-vein this late fall to finish it up by earlier next year. My guess is a earlier Spring Release.

I'm sure there are songs they've been writing for years, but D&G and OMS were the only two songs worked on during the 2012 sessions. I don't consider an album in the making until the whole band starts recording it in the studio. That would be in December 2015. So it's been in the making for almost 4 years now. Plus, there's rumour that they've looked at songs to work on going back to the STEEL WHEELS sessions.

I think with 40 songs, there should be one more session at the end of this year, maybe the band records another 3-5 songs and than they pick the 10 they wanna release on the album. It's going to get to a point where it's quite ridiculous they can't find 10 "GREAT" songs out of 40-45 songs recorded.

Hmmmm .. Look ... with respect I am not trying to be a smart arse .. but I will say this>>>> It amazes me how many people here say the Stones only worked on this or that.. or they only have this finished or that finished .. or they are this far along or that far along .. or they don't have any complete songs .. or they have this amount of completed song....??

Where these people actually at the sessions? Latest example: This article indicates / suggests some of the material is stemming from or could date as far back as the 2012 session ... The people here discussed the album with the guy in charge of it .. their producer, Don Was.

I am not suggesting they got several songs (or even one other completed song) from those four days besides D&G and OMS BUT they might of have a riff or chorus or a few melodies that started there (or were captured there) that were pushed aside and have developed since then. We don't know if the only two songs worked on were the two recorded for Grrr... (we were not there ...right? Lol smh). This article states otherwise .. I have to follow what their producer is suggesting and what the article states rather than what someones 'opinion' is on a Rolling Stones message board who has no ties to the band. <<Again .. this is not only pertaining to you here with this notion ..but to many others who seem to know what The Stones have finished .. how much of a wall they hit .. how far along they are or are not ... etc. etc.

There are 40 songs in the mix with none totally finished. Some of the material could stem as far back as 2012 Session. That is what's reported / suggested from the person in charge of the sessions and in charge of the album. That is what we have to go by and its ALL we should go by. Please do not take offense.

Cheers -

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 04:08 by IanBillen.

Date: September 5, 2019 04:11

Hi Ian smiling smiley.

I thought it was mentioned by a source somewhere in this 369 page thread that they had some leftovers dating back to Steel Wheels that they might be attempting to dust off and give a new coat of paint?
Is this incorrect? Whatever the case, nearly 15 years since a new albums of originals is quite unbelievable and even despicable...it better be GREAT!!!

Date: September 5, 2019 04:53

Hairball
Hi Ian smiling smiley.

I thought it was mentioned by a source somewhere in this 369 page thread that they had some leftovers dating back to Steel Wheels that they might be attempting to dust off and give a new coat of paint?
Is this incorrect? Whatever the case, nearly 15 years since a new albums of originals is quite unbelievable and even despicable...it better be GREAT!!!

Yessss ... it was stated 'here' (was not I). However all I ever saw officially was it started in 2015 and now indicating something could of also been started for the material in 2012 during the session that bore D&G and OMS (which were already mostly all written before they got to the studio ... D&G coming in from Mick and OMS from Keith as I understand it?).

Charlie most definitely pointed out that 2015 was not the first session for the material for said album .... they had done a set of sessions for the new album before December 2015 session. He made that 'very' clear .. and I saw him make that point known in an interview. Perhaps he was talking about 2012 where something from there may of been kept to work on for future sessions.

It is despicable that they have not come out with an album since 2005 .. I totally agree and as you understand .. you are preaching to the choir on that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 04:56 by IanBillen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2019 05:04

Nikkei
ukcal

ukcal

The market has become close to irrelevant. Releasing records before christmas is the last marketing tool they have left and basically that effect is down to non-fans buying the record for fans who end up with multiple copies.

It's antiquated, an archaic mindset. It shows, goes with the age group and mentality.

Date: September 5, 2019 05:09

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen

I'm sure there are songs they've been writing for years, but D&G and OMS were the only two songs worked on during the 2012 sessions. I don't consider an album in the making until the whole band starts recording it in the studio. That would be in December 2015.

It appears you need to learn a bit more about The Rolling Stones from 1969-1983.

I know plenty my friend. I know songs began life in sessions for other albums. EXILE didn't start it's own sessions until July 1971. I know the album had a bunch of tracks started in 1969-70. You're missing my point. The Stones didn't actually start this new album until December 2015. Of course these songs have been around probably written years ago. They can use songs from way back in '89, but that doesn't mean this album started its life in '89.

So the album has not been in the making for 7 years. The band didn't agree to start the new album in 2012. That 5 day session in Aug. 2012 was for 2 songs specifically for a compilation album. They agreed to start tracking new songs for a new album in December 2015.

Do you see my point? No need to get sarcastic, because this 23 year old can out knowledge you about The Rolling Stones any day of the week.

Oh. HA HA. I see! Now you're being picky!

Oh and your last little bit there, good luck with that. Not that it matters, because it doesn't.

Sure, the Stones went to record for EOMS in 1971... but the work goes back to 1969... and a good bit of what was recorded in 1971 wasn't used. They have lots of albums when they've done that. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles did the same thing often.

Date: September 5, 2019 05:13

Hairball
Hi Ian smiling smiley.

Why is that dispicable?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 5, 2019 05:29

GasLightStreet

Why is that dispicable?

[/quote]

Coz they have sort of turned into the world's most expensive cruise ship band - dolling out essentially the same material for decades. Under the guise of a working band.....

....I have been a fan since '65. I LOVE THEM, but I DO think it's despicable that they, purportedly as artists, don't actually DO anything in regards new music now. I don't think they'll release another Exile or Sticky F, but I'd be happy with another Goats Head Soup or even Bigger Bang - just so there's SOMETHING new to hear and for them to play.

Maybe not despicable, but certainly disgraceful, given the prices they charge for tickets to see the same show over and over thru the decades, with only the odd MINOR twist, and the ever diminishing number of songs.

I HOPE/PRAY this recently finished tour, which has seen them sounding great I admit, REVITALISES their CREATIVE juices so when they DO hit Australia in 2020 I see/hear something different!

Rod

Date: September 5, 2019 05:29

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen

Oh and your last little bit there, good luck with that. Not that it matters, because it doesn't.

Sure, the Stones went to record for EOMS in 1971... but the work goes back to 1969... and a good bit of what was recorded in 1971 wasn't used. They have lots of albums when they've done that. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles did the same thing often.

I'm just saying that telling someone to "learn a bit more" like that is kind of obnoxious. Just bc the work goes back to 1969, doesn't mean the EXILE sessions started in 1969. That's my point that you're missing by trying to be a know it all. This new album's sessions started in December 2015, so it has not been 7 years in the making, even if a song on said new album was written in 2012. I can't explain that any further and if you can't understand that than oh well.

Date: September 5, 2019 05:35

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen

I'm just saying that telling someone to "learn a bit more" like that is kind of obnoxious. Just bc the work goes back to 1969, doesn't mean the EXILE sessions started in 1969. That's my point that you're missing by trying to be a know it all. This new album's sessions started in December 2015, so it has not been 7 years in the making, even if a song on said new album was written in 2012. I can't explain that any further and if you can't understand that than oh well.

I see. You kind of came off that way so that's why I said what I said. It was kind of in jest.

Well, you're right in one aspect - but the work does include previous work. So, "in earnest", sure, but not overall. If you look at how long they worked on this new album, if it ever comes out, it may total, say, 33 days. Over X amount of years.

Not exactly toiling away, eh?

SOME GIRLS... months of recording over 2 years. EMOTIONAL RESCUE was similar. Probably the only time they ever truly made aim like that, as previous albums were all over the place time wise. I know they did similar earlier but perhaps not as focused.

Don't be so defensive - it's all good.

Date: September 5, 2019 05:39

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen

I see. You kind of came off that way so that's why I said what I said. It was kind of in jest.

Well, you're right in one aspect - but the work does include previous work. So, "in earnest", sure, but not overall. If you look at how long they worked on this new album, if it ever comes out, it may total, say, 33 days. Over X amount of years.

SOME GIRLS... months of recording over 2 years. EMOTIONAL RESCUE was similar. Probably the only time they ever truly made aim like that, as previous albums were all over the place time wise. I know they did similar earlier but perhaps not as focused.

That's my bad. I can get very stubborn at times when I'm trying to explain something (runs in my family lol) My apologies my friend. smileys with beer

Date: September 5, 2019 05:50

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
IanBillen

That's my bad. I can get very stubborn at times when I'm trying to explain something (runs in my family lol) My apologies my friend. smileys with beer

I sincerely appreciate the apology ...but there was really no need (we are all in the same boat).

I think there was something (a session that had some bearing on the current album) before 2015 .. as the article alludes and as Charlie once very clearly stated is all I was sayin.

Rock Onward, Prodigal Son -

Date: September 5, 2019 06:03

It's not really a big deal enough for me to overreact like that haha. I really enjoy talking with everyone here. None of my friends are big Stones fans so it's nice to come here and discuss everything about them.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 5, 2019 06:28

Hairball
The main difference between the two is [b

Trouble is a thousand times better of a song unless you base quality on streaming numbers.

That seems like a claim that must be backed up by data! Wherein does its greatness lie, and how is it calculated? Is it possible it's only two hundred times better a song ... or are you sure about the thousand times better? Alternatively, could it be that you just LIKE it more? smiling smiley

Date: September 5, 2019 06:37

bitusa2012
- just so there's SOMETHING new to hear

Yeah!

bitusa2012
and for them to play.

I wouldn't bet my hat on that one. Unless they really tour the album you're more likely to get just one or (if lucky) two of the new songs. (And I'd love to be proven wrong!)

About greatness: each of us has a different idea of what a great new Stones album sounded like - and their idea(s) perhaps yet differ(s) from ours.

Let's assume they really have some 40 complete new songs. Since we will get to know only the handful that (hopefully one day) make it onto the album we will not even be able to say, 'They should have chosen this song instead of that one'. I'd almost suggest they should put them all online for download so everybody can compile their own great new album! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 06:39 by doitywoik.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...364365366367368369370371372373374...LastNext
Current Page: 369 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home