Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...363364365366367368369370371372373...LastNext
Current Page: 368 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 2, 2019 09:50

DiegoGlimmerStones
[www.kshe95.com]

...Don Was, who has been co-producing the Stones since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, told us that over the course of the new album sessions, a tremendous amount of material has been tracked by the band. According to him, Jagger and Richards simply haven’t created the album they want to release yet: “We continue to start songs and it’s such a varied group of songs. We probably have 40 and depending on the 10 we choose to finish, the character of the album will be determined; right now, it could go any way. And there’s some really good stuff in there. And there’s a sense that making a ‘good album’ is not good enough — it’s gotta be great. So, I think when we feel we’ve got 10 things that are great an album’ll come out.”

[www.kshe95.com]

40 tracks eh ?

can't decide ? So release four albums grinning smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 2, 2019 13:08

bv
It is coming. Just keep healthy so that you will be able to ROCk and ROLL when it is there.

Too funny.....

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:02

Send It To me
What's "great"? If the standard is Sticky Fingers, we may be waiting a while.

No shit.

How many "truly" great, absolutely "A+," "perfect" songs have the Stones written in the past 40 years? Songs that have become warhorses and that will be what people 100 years from now think of when they think of the band? Zero? One?

And, now, with them in their 70's, we're hearing they'll wait till they come up with TEN of them before they release anything?

LOL

My guess is that they may have 40 somethings but that those 40 somethings just don't quite measure up ... to "Doom and Gloom" or "Oh No Not You Again" or even "England's Grip."

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:25

40 Tracks - maybe Don Was means 40 single Tracks (on Multitrack-Tapes) .... winking smiley

[en.Wikipedia.org]

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 2, 2019 19:50

Honestly, it won't even matter when the album comes out. Even if it is solid from start to finish, people on here will just bash it anyway to smithereens. Maybe I have a different outlook because I'm only 23 and first got into the Stones WAY past their prime, but any kind of new music they put out is a dream for me. I've only been alive for 3 albums, and I was only one when BRIDGES TO BABYLON came out. My dad and I went to Tower Records early in the morning to get A BIGGER BANG when it came out and I was in absolute heaven. Even for BLUE & LONESOME I felt like a little kid, all giddy for new Stones music. So this new album that's taking a long time to make, is a dream for me. The day it comes out, I'll be blasting the shit out of it.

What this album will mean to me, will be like when a lot of you bought Stones albums year after year in the 70's.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2019 21:53

"...any kind of new music they put out is a dream for me"

For your sake, hopefully it's a great one JordyLicks96!

But...what if they can't complete the album of originals (as happened when they decided to release Blue and Lonesome), and they release a bunch of Sinatra covers ala Dylan?
Or maybe a high energy polka-infused tribute to their own greatest hits of the past? It's Only Rock'N'Polka (But I Like It)...winking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 2, 2019 22:00

Pragmatically speaking, they should bloody finish their 40 tracks and leave the rest to somebody else - e.g us! grinning smiley If we choose what track goes on what album there's a good chance that out of four albums (10 tracks per album) we might get at least three albums most of us are somehow happy with ... winking smiley

Date: September 2, 2019 23:08

JordyLicks96
Honestly, it won't even matter when the album comes out. Even if it is solid from start to finish, people on here will just bash it anyway to smithereens. Maybe I have a different outlook because I'm only 23 and first got into the Stones WAY past their prime, but any kind of new music they put out is a dream for me. I've only been alive for 3 albums, and I was only one when BRIDGES TO BABYLON came out. My dad and I went to Tower Records early in the morning to get A BIGGER BANG when it came out and I was in absolute heaven. Even for BLUE & LONESOME I felt like a little kid, all giddy for new Stones music. So this new album that's taking a long time to make, is a dream for me. The day it comes out, I'll be blasting the shit out of it.

What this album will mean to me, will be like when a lot of you bought Stones albums year after year in the 70's.

Simply not true, we know the feeling, feel the same feeling of anticipation. A new Stones album makes us all feel like 23 year olds.....again

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: September 2, 2019 23:13

Time they got an independent producer to sort through this stuff, select the best songs and finish those. Too much stuffing around and not enough objectivity.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2019 00:15

LazarusSmith
Send It To me
What's "great"? If the standard is Sticky Fingers, we may be waiting a while.

No shit.

How many "truly" great, absolutely "A+," "perfect" songs have the Stones written in the past 40 years? Songs that have become warhorses and that will be what people 100 years from now think of when they think of the band? Zero? One?

And, now, with them in their 70's, we're hearing they'll wait till they come up with TEN of them before they release anything?

LOL

My guess is that they may have 40 somethings but that those 40 somethings just don't quite measure up ... to "Doom and Gloom" or "Oh No Not You Again" or even "England's Grip."

Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, Rough Justice and Doom and Gloom are Stones classics. A couple more could be B sides. That's about it for the Post-Wyman Stones. (Excepting Bonus Cuts from Exile and Some Girls).

Date: September 3, 2019 00:59

Maindefender
JordyLicks96

Simply not true, we know the feeling, feel the same feeling of anticipation. A new Stones album makes us all feel like 23 year olds.....again

I'm happy to hear that!! I just know a lot of people will hear it and tear it apart. "Oh they worked on it for 5 years and it's still not good." I understand people have their own opinions, but even the worst Stones albums are WAY better than other groups output. I'm also a huge KISS fan and I will admit they have released a lot of utter garbage over their career. I honestly can't say the Stones ever put out crap, even DIRTY WORK isn't crap to me. Are there albums that are weak by Stones standards? Absolutely. Even UNDERCOVER, my least favorite Stones album, I like more than a lot music that's around today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-03 01:01 by JordyLicks96.

Date: September 3, 2019 03:25

JordyLicks96
Maindefender
JordyLicks96

I'm happy to hear that!! I just know a lot of people will hear it and tear it apart. "Oh they worked on it for 5 years and it's still not good." I understand people have their own opinions, but even the worst Stones albums are WAY better than other groups output. I'm also a huge KISS fan and I will admit they have released a lot of utter garbage over their career. I honestly can't say the Stones ever put out crap, even DIRTY WORK isn't crap to me. Are there albums that are weak by Stones standards? Absolutely. Even UNDERCOVER, my least favorite Stones album, I like more than a lot music that's around today.

as a KISS fan too most of the crap came at 2 different times, first when ace and peter were checking out and second the later part of the 80's when gene was almost MIA for acting and paul was trying to carry the band

Date: September 3, 2019 05:39

keefriffhard4life
JordyLicks96
Maindefender
JordyLicks96

as a KISS fan too most of the crap came at 2 different times, first when ace and peter were checking out and second the later part of the 80's when gene was almost MIA for acting and paul was trying to carry the band

Agreed. ASYLUM, CRAZY NIGHTS, HOT IN THE SHADE all had their fare share of really bad songs. DYNASTY wasn't fantastic. UNMASKED had some good stuff. THE ELDER I'm not crazy about, but I appreciate it for what it is.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: September 3, 2019 06:58

JordyLicks96

I get your point man. I am 29. I was 4 when Voodoo Lounge came out, 7 when Bridges and 15 to a Bigger Bang. I became a fan when i was 19, so for me, Blue and Lonesome made me feel special. ABB also, but I didn't hear it until 2010. I feel excited for this new album.

It is great to hear from younger fans.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 3, 2019 08:38

I was 9 when Steel Wheela came out and to me the stones were old men. By the time Voodoo Lounge came along I was 14 and a fan. The things I’ve loved about new stones releases is the band feel like my band. The Worst, Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, Sad, Sad, Sad and lots of other songs are among my favourites. As much as anything off Exile or Beggars or any other “classic era” Albums. I like buying new releases and yeah, maybe not every track is a classic. But there’s always a few. And always a few that sound better years later. But some are just turds.and not of the on the run variety

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2019 09:22

JordyLicks96

Very nice to read ...and FWIW I still feel pretty much the same at 60.

I've turned into a cynical old bugger in many ways...

...but my feelings for the Stones have not turned the slightest bit jaundiced .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-03 09:39 by Spud.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2019 09:37

JordyLicks96

Save here mate. Except for the age thing. I am 65 and just WANT new Stones music. I find something in every album that I love. And often I find A LOT. SO GET SOMETHING OUT LADS - BEFORE I CROAK IT.

Rod

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 3, 2019 13:43

I'm pushing 50 with a short stick, and will be incredibly excited when/if the new album lands. I was giddy last fall when we all expected it to land around March this year. I listen to Blue & Lonesome and can't help but wonder what that same band was sounding like on new material. I like the "later period" music and find it interesting. I also keep in mind that the best song from Mick's Goddess In The Doorway was Blue, and that didn't even make the album. So, what Mick & Keith might think are throwaway B sides, I might like as much or more than the songs that do make the album.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 3, 2019 18:50

jahisnotdead
I'm pushing 50 with a short stick, and will be incredibly excited when/if the new album lands. I was giddy last fall when we all expected it to land around March this year. I listen to Blue & Lonesome and can't help but wonder what that same band was sounding like on new material. I like the "later period" music and find it interesting. I also keep in mind that the best song from Mick's Goddess In The Doorway was Blue, and that didn't even make the album. So, what Mick & Keith might think are throwaway B sides, I might like as much or more than the songs that do make the album.

One of the 4 or 5 best songs from VL sessions was "The Storm" IMO and it got left off - why they thought "Sweethearts Together" was better boggles the mind

Date: September 3, 2019 23:58

I love the fact on the Who thread Townsend announces "hopefully a new album in 2020, and not a greatest hits". So he introduces "Big Cigar" and states you can sit, stand, dance, sleep, "I don't give a f-ck"...lol crowd loves it...>grinning smiley<

Date: September 4, 2019 03:45

Judging from the Who thread, they are also premiering new songs! Haven't heard any of them (yet) but the mere fact is great news!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 4, 2019 04:06

Videos from MSG of both news songs are in that very thread.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 4, 2019 06:06

So .. technically they started this album in 2012 .... if they are counting (which it seems they are .. prolly due to a song or songs coming from that session which is in the mix for the next record). The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

Technically, This album has been seven years in the making so far .. (though long breaks have occurred at many segments during).

I am certain they have >>loads<< of material ... however .. as was noted .. some of it has to be darn good material to matter or count as anything!

Now.. with that said ..here is to hoping they recon-vein this late fall to finish it up by earlier next year. My guess is a earlier Spring Release.

***Oh btw ..notice.. there is yet another mention of The Stones specifically not wanting / realizing that they do not just want a good record .. or just another real good record ... they want to make this one great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-04 06:08 by IanBillen.

Date: September 4, 2019 06:07

I just don't understand what the Stones are afraid of about playing new songs live before an album is finished or comes out. If people like them, that's great, if they don't, it's whatever. They used to play new songs live long before they made their album debut plenty of times:

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Rock and Roll Circus, '68)
Loving Cup (Hyde Park, '69)
Brown Sugar (Altamont '69, 1970 European Tour)
Dead Flowers (1970 European Tour)
Worried About You (El Mocambo Club '77)

Anything I'm missing?

Date: September 4, 2019 06:13

IanBillen
So .. technically they started this album in 2012 .... if they are counting (which it seems they are .. prolly due to a song or songs coming from that session which is in the mix for the next record). The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

Technically, This album has been seven years in the making so far .. (though long breaks have occurred at many segments during).

I am certain they have >>loads<< of material ... however .. as was noted .. some of it has to be darn good material to matter or count as anything!

Now.. with that said ..here is to hoping they recon-vein this late fall to finish it up by earlier next year. My guess is a earlier Spring Release.

I'm sure there are songs they've been writing for years, but D&G and OMS were the only two songs worked on during the 2012 sessions. I don't consider an album in the making until the whole band starts recording it in the studio. That would be in December 2015. So it's been in the making for almost 4 years now. Plus, there's rumour that they've looked at songs to work on going back to the STEEL WHEELS sessions.

I think with 40 songs, there should be one more session at the end of this year, maybe the band records another 3-5 songs and than they pick the 10 they wanna release on the album. It's going to get to a point where it's quite ridiculous they can't find 10 "GREAT" songs out of 40-45 songs recorded.

Date: September 4, 2019 06:57

Welcome back, Ian! smiling smiley

IanBillen
The session in which D&G .. and OMS were recorded for Grrrr .. evidently had something else or some material that is also on par for the next record.

I guess Mick came with a bag of songs (and Keith had to snatch one from his solo album).

IanBillen
they do not just want a good record .. or just another real good record ... they want to make this one great.

Aw, they say that all the time, before each album. Imagine Mick or Keith saying, "We agreed that this time we'll only make a mediocre one" - no way!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 08:14

JordyLicks96
IanBillen

I'm sure there are songs they've been writing for years, but D&G and OMS were the only two songs worked on during the 2012 sessions. I don't consider an album in the making until the whole band starts recording it in the studio. That would be in December 2015.

It appears you need to learn a bit more about The Rolling Stones from 1969-1983.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2019 08:16

Send It To me
jahisnotdead

One of the 4 or 5 best songs from VL sessions was "The Storm" IMO and it got left off - why they thought "Sweethearts Together" was better boggles the mind

Astounding, innit.

Date: September 4, 2019 10:21

JordyLicks96
I just don't understand what the Stones are afraid of about playing new songs live before an album is finished or comes out. If people like them, that's great, if they don't, it's whatever. They used to play new songs live long before they made their album debut plenty of times:

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Rock and Roll Circus, '68)
Loving Cup (Hyde Park, '69)
Brown Sugar (Altamont '69, 1970 European Tour)
Dead Flowers (1970 European Tour)
Worried About You (El Mocambo Club '77)

Anything I'm missing?

Cherry Oh Baby, MSG 1975
Oh, No Not You Again, Julliard

Date: September 4, 2019 10:38

JordyLicks96
bv
It is coming. Just keep healthy so that you will be able to ROCk and ROLL when it is there.

>grinning smiley< smiling bouncing smiley

smileys with beerwinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...363364365366367368369370371372373...LastNext
Current Page: 368 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home