Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...357358359360361362363364365366367...LastNext
Current Page: 362 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 15, 2019 05:30

nick
Regarding nobody knew about this:
What about the bootlegs at the time? There must have been Some Girls 77-78 sessions by then or at least Black and Blue sessions. The David Dalton book The Rolling Stones The First 20 Years. The first edition came out 10/81 and the Sessionography section lists some of the tracks on TY. The 1981 entry on Pg 191 has printed "some of these tracks were recorded during sessions for Black and Blue,Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, but were re-recorded and re-mixed between January and June 1981." - Tom Beach and James Karnbach

If it's going to be considered a compilation, it's a compilation of unreleased tracks.

With "Sometimes I Wonder Why" the famous "Reggae 'n Roll"-album was the only bootleg released before TY that had a song that finally made it on the official album - as "Worried About You".

I remember excactly how excited I was back then when I listened to TY for the first time, discovering that a favourite "bootleg song" of mine became officially available in perfect quality. I rang a fellow Stones fan from the neighborhood who could not believe it, so I took the albums, ran over to his place for a listening session - and remember very well to this date how he commented almost in disbelief: "This is crazy, so crazy, we both knew this song long before it was released!". And felt a bit like a criminal audio gang...

AFAIK no other TY songs were available on any bootlegs back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 05:30 by retired_dog.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 15, 2019 05:51

retired_dog

AFAIK no other TY songs were available on any bootlegs back then.

Thanks for that info. I didn't go to Record Shows or get my first bootleg Accidents Will Happen (Claudine) until 83-84. Like you said about that excited feeling of having unreleased tracks, As some punkass teen, I felt like I was in exclusive company to have this material.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 15, 2019 06:18

IanBillen
Mr. Rocky ... do you know the info you give to be factual ..'certain'... (ie Stones not only recording brand new stuff but also looking at songs from before ...2011 and even from Steel Wheels etc. that might be gems to be finished for the new record .. Mick & Keith working on songs together and apart ...Ronnie working on select songs by himself etc. etc.). Only curious?

Mr. Ian, I believe it is because I trust the source more than not, but I cannot be certain. I could just be one of several folks who make someone with a tangential connection feel important. I might be used to serve a purpose knowing that I'm posting what I hear if I'm told it's okay to share.

I must admit the biggest question mark I have is over the alleged STEEL WHEELS outtake. I figured it would be "For Your Precious Love" and was told it was a track called "Sick of Myself." This was one of those Holy Grail titles I've posted about over the years. Sony had initially listed "Sick of Myself" as a B-side to "Sex Drive" in 1991, but it never surfaced anywhere.

After years of searching and inquiring, I figured it was a misprint or mistake of some sort. When the title came back at me, I took the bait and was told it was an unfinished STEEL WHEELS track that was completed at the same time as "Highwire" and "Sex Drive." The thing is Mick supposedly cut the vocals while Keith was in New York cutting "Key to the Highway" and yet it was Keith and Don Was who wanted it included on the new album. After all these years and knowing I had posted about the song several times over the years, I still can't shake the feeling that someone is having fun at my expense. Time will tell, hopefully.

As for whether any 1990s material is included, I can only hope for Gaslight's sake that "Honest Man" turns up. As for the actual new material, I've heard a couple of light hip-hop inflected pop songs were attempted, there was a real bluesy track given some programming touches to add "a more dance-orientated rhythm track" and that several songs sound similar to "Gotta Get a Grip" but with Keith's guitar stamped heavily on them. Now honestly, as much as it all sounds credible, it also sounds like something any of us could have guessed from the last couple decades of releases and the clips Mick has shared online.

So is it credible? Sure. Am I certain? No, but I'll go with cautiously optimistic. Do I think it could just be someone thinks it's amusing to wind up an obsessive fan like me? Quite possibly. We'll see. Until then, I always look for mpj200 or Soldatti or one other individual to chime in and say "that sounds about right" or not. Leave it to Don Was and he'll repeat the same thing he's said for the past few years, "it's half-formed...not one song is finished, etc." That flies in the face of hearing that many versions and many mixes of the same tracks have been attempted.

One things for sure is they're not ready to say it's done yet.

Date: July 15, 2019 08:42

Rocky Dijon

That's most likely the only thing that's "certain". Hearing from a musician who actually did overdubs to some of the material that probably only Mick and Keith know about the actual completion rate of the album it's easy to imagine that even a lot of people from from the inner circle are left - more or less - in the dark.

Because there's simply no deadline anything could happen - songs that were initially earmarked for release or even close to be finished fall to the wayside, new songs added to the working schedule, old outtakes they dug out and worked on were on and are now off the list, even mixes of certain tracks that they agreed on are discarded after re-listening and re-evaluating.

Even for people from the inner circle the whole work may appear a bit aimless and unfocussed, and from there came the guess "it sometimes looks like they're hoarding material and see how it all comes together one day" that I talked about some time ago - an impression that doesn't seem to be all too far-fetched considering quotes from Don Was and Charlie and the fact that there's obviously much more material than needed for a single album.

All in all, I think it's rather useless at this point to speculate any further. Even mpj200 or Soldatti can't get any more specific about this until the point in time when Universal finally gets the signal "we're ready to take off!".

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 15, 2019 10:03

Rocky Dijon
IanBillen
Mr. Rocky ... do you know the info you give to be factual ..'certain'... (ie Stones not only recording brand new stuff but also looking at songs from before ...2011 and even from Steel Wheels etc. that might be gems to be finished for the new record .. Mick & Keith working on songs together and apart ...Ronnie working on select songs by himself etc. etc.). Only curious?

Mr. Ian, I believe it is because I trust the source more than not, but I cannot be certain. I could just be one of several folks who make someone with a tangential connection feel important. I might be used to serve a purpose knowing that I'm posting what I hear if I'm told it's okay to share.

I must admit the biggest question mark I have is over the alleged STEEL WHEELS outtake. I figured it would be "For Your Precious Love" and was told it was a track called "Sick of Myself." This was one of those Holy Grail titles I've posted about over the years. Sony had initially listed "Sick of Myself" as a B-side to "Sex Drive" in 1991, but it never surfaced anywhere.

After years of searching and inquiring, I figured it was a misprint or mistake of some sort. When the title came back at me, I took the bait and was told it was an unfinished STEEL WHEELS track that was completed at the same time as "Highwire" and "Sex Drive." The thing is Mick supposedly cut the vocals while Keith was in New York cutting "Key to the Highway" and yet it was Keith and Don Was who wanted it included on the new album. After all these years and knowing I had posted about the song several times over the years, I still can't shake the feeling that someone is having fun at my expense. Time will tell, hopefully.

As for whether any 1990s material is included, I can only hope for Gaslight's sake that "Honest Man" turns up. As for the actual new material, I've heard a couple of light hip-hop inflected pop songs were attempted, there was a real bluesy track given some programming touches to add "a more dance-orientated rhythm track" and that several songs sound similar to "Gotta Get a Grip" but with Keith's guitar stamped heavily on them. Now honestly, as much as it all sounds credible, it also sounds like something any of us could have guessed from the last couple decades of releases and the clips Mick has shared online.

So is it credible? Sure. Am I certain? No, but I'll go with cautiously optimistic. Do I think it could just be someone thinks it's amusing to wind up an obsessive fan like me? Quite possibly. We'll see. Until then, I always look for mpj200 or Soldatti or one other individual to chime in and say "that sounds about right" or not. Leave it to Don Was and he'll repeat the same thing he's said for the past few years, "it's half-formed...not one song is finished, etc." That flies in the face of hearing that many versions and many mixes of the same tracks have been attempted.

Thanks Rocky .. was only curious. I was also curious as to how much was from a source or two that you knew and how much was pieced together by yourself and how much was from what you have read. I gather muchof it is from your source (but as you said.. ya can't be 100% certain about all of it).

Thank you for answering. I got it .. and if what you say is true we are def in for an interesting album. However, my hunch is that if there truly are songs as far back as Steel Wheels that are being considered .. they / it is not a song anyone of us / anyone of the general public has heard of .. not even on bootleg.

Keep us posted.

Mr. Billen -

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 17, 2019 17:37

Just listening to Til the Next Goodbye right now. Certainly not the best track of the 70s, but it reminds me of something that elevates even mediocre songs like this one, and something that has been missing for a few decades now:

HARMONIES!!

Sing it together men!
Mick, double/triple track your own vocal
Mick, do your best Keef impression on the harmonies

To me those ragged are such an important feature (Plunder My Soul I think was the last time we heard them in action). Why did they decide to abandon harmonies 'lately' - D&G, B&L??

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 17, 2019 18:04

Til The Next Goodbye is one of the best slower songs of the 70s in my opinion, perhaps a bit unusual for them because it is one of the more sincere ones, without being sentimental. The total opposite of the superficiality of Fool To Cry. Again, my opinion.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 18:08

Most likely the songs they have been working on are sounding more like solo Keith and solo Mick, and not catching fire. Sad.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2019 18:14

nick
I'm conflicted in that I believe TY was a new album regardless of what Mick thought. I also think that Think I'm Going Mad, So Young 94, a portion of Exile deluxe bonus and the Some Girls deluxe bonus* as new.(*since So Young was released in 94 as new, those 2 other versions I exclude). I don't get the same feel with Metamorphosis in the same way because that was simply released to satisfy contractual obligations.

It wasn't any kind of contractual obligation as The Rolling Stones had nothing to do with ABKCO Records in 1975.

METAMORPHOSIS contains tracks recorded for LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS.

Date: July 17, 2019 18:20

IanBillen
Let's forget Tattoo You on this particular thread unless somehow it directly relates to the new / up and coming album. We keep feeding into debates about Tattoo You (myself included).

TY should have had it's own thread for this regard.

So... you want to forget TATTOO YOU in this thread "unless somehow it directly relates to the new / up and coming album" and then you ask this: ..."looking at songs from before ...2011 and even from Steel Wheels etc."

STEEL WHEELS was recorded and released in 1989. Yet you don't see any connection to TATTOO YOU with the possibility that they may be working on tracks dating back as far as 1989?

A lot of their previous TY albums included recordings or songs that were as old as 4 years (GOATS HEAD SOUP had, apparently, some songs written as far back as 1969, EOMS as well, etc on and on).

Date: July 17, 2019 18:27

Rocky Dijon
As for whether any 1990s material is included, I can only hope for Gaslight's sake that "Honest Man" turns up.

I pay attention to what you write, Rocky. There's no need for you to say such horrible things!!!

Date: July 17, 2019 18:31

whitem8
Most likely the songs they have been working on are sounding more like solo Keith and solo Mick, and not catching fire. Sad.

BRIDGES TO OBLIVION is what you're hinting at!

Yeah. Nahhhh. At least not as a Stones album.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 17, 2019 18:59

Rocky Dijon
This silliness around studio album vs. compilation is a question of semantics vs. the impression it imparts. Calling TATTOO YOU a compilation suggests it was another METAMORPHOSIS in which songs cut between 1964 and 1971 that were deemed not good enough at the time were brought together as a new collection. One listen to METAMORPHOSIS convinced most listeners there was a reason most of this material was left by the wayside.

TATTOO YOU, by contrast was material that was in the running for several albums. "Start Me Up" was short-listed for SOME GIRLS (see Ronnie's inner sleeve of GIMME SOME NECK) and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. It was going to come out regardless. They kept playing with it, cutting new arrangements, going back to the original and not only remixing, but adding new lyrics, recutting vocals, adding percussion. It was a work-in-progress since SOME GIRLS that was finished in 1981.

That's one song, of course. What about the rest?

"Hang Fire" was likewise a holdover from SOME GIRLS also short-listed for EMOTIONAL RESCUE that was given a new lease on life with the addition of a new melody line that transformed the song from its punk origins into something unique for 1981. Mick's new doo doo doo backing vocals now build their way through the song. The work-in-progress since SOME GIRLS was likewise finished in 1981.

"Slave" was a great jam session from BLACK AND BLUE that they returned to during the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. This is hardly strange. During the BLACK AND BLUE sessions they returned to unfinished numbers from GOATS HEAD SOUP. Sometimes unfinished songs make the album and sometimes they linger. More overdubs followed for "Slave" and by 1981 Mick was sinally writing lyrics with "Ride a Wave" vying with "Slave." Sonny Rollins' saxophone was also a new melodic addition in 1981 that changed the arrangement. Truly an unfinished track until 1981 given that it had no lyrics and a good chunk of the music did not exist before that time.

"Little T & A" was a riff that Keith had played with for several years. It started to come together in the rough form we know in the late seventies. For a long time it was just a backing track. Final lyrics and vocals did not exist until after EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Another work in progress finished in 1981.

"Black Limousine" was a riff that Ronnie had on the backburner for several years. The song itself was ready in 1978 (again, see GIMME SOME NECK's inner sleeve). This was given a new guitar overdub from Keith during EMOTIONAL RESCUE which changed the song's arrangement. Remixing and editing in 1981 were the final touches on a song that was always a contender for SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

"Neighbors" came together during EMOTIONAL RESCUE. They cut another version in the Fall of 1980 with Bobby Keyes. This is close to the finished version but Sonny Rollins re-did the sax parts in 1981. Again, the song was a contender that was going to be released.

As soon as EMOTIONAL RESCUE came out, Rolling Stone and Beggar Banquet noted their "next Emotional Rescue" was expected to follow within a few months. Not a compilation, they simply had more than a single album's worth of material in the running as was also the case with SOME GIRLS when they were stockpiling material in case Keith went to prison. They did not want to lose all of these songs and they continued to tinker with them and build the the tracks up all the way up to the start of summer 1981.

Not a compilation. The entire album was a work in progress of material they had been intending to release. "Worried About You" was planned for BLACK AND BLUE and was then considered for a live debut on LOVE YOU LIVE and then again for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend" were likewise revived for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Neither had finished lyrics or in some cases any lyrics at all. "Waiting on a Friend" was built up considerably in 1981. These could not be considered finished tracks before then. "Heaven" and "No Use in Crying" were boht started during EMOTIONAL RESCUE" and they continued to putter with them, adding overdubs and remixing until they felt they were right.

Seen from that perspective, it is little different from the album they've been puttering around with since December 2015 in fits and starts. There are versions of some of these songs going back to 2011 to Mick's demo sessions with Charlie and Matt Clifford at Le Fork. Mick and Keith have worked on tracks together and apart. The band has worked as a unit on the album through several sessions over the past few years. Sometimes Ronnie does overdubs on his own. They've delved back into older sessions for songs left by the wayside as far back as STEEL WHEELS that are worth giving a listen to, overdubbing, recutting, to see if they are worthwhile.

There is, by all accounts, a lot of material none of which they consider to be finished yet. Some of the songs will likely be set aside for other later releases. Possibly a solo album or two or possibly still another Stones release. There is no clock ticking except for mortality and if that sad day arrives for the band before the album, the moment has been prepared for. That is why they've been stockpiling tracks and countless versions and mixes.

Remember Dave Stewart's remark a few years back that Mick could release several albums worth of unheard material on a cloud. Dave recommended Mick calling it GET OFF ON MY CLOUD. They have lots of material. They work on it together as well as with the likes of Dave Stewart, Matt Clifford, and Steve Jordan. They bring in outside producers to consult and help shape it. Lately, the focus has been to put more of a Jagger-Richards stamp on the material, shaping and molding to make it work for both of them, for all of them, for Don Was who is anything but the yes-man he's derided as, and for the label.

The new album will come and like TATTOO YOU it will be a work-in-progress of several years, not a compilation of odds and sods like METAMORPHOSIS.

Anyone who can't understand this likely chooses to be obtuse.

These is exactly the kind of post that makes this forum still worth reading. Great info!

Let's see what they come up with. I don't want to be too cynical, but I'm kind of hoping that Mick's health scare might make them (yet) more aware of how fragile they are now as a band and maybe it can help them refocus. Or maybe it has just the opposite effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 19:00 by Lorenz.

Date: July 17, 2019 19:00

GasLightStreet
nick
I'm conflicted in that I believe TY was a new album regardless of what Mick thought. I also think that Think I'm Going Mad, So Young 94, a portion of Exile deluxe bonus and the Some Girls deluxe bonus* as new.(*since So Young was released in 94 as new, those 2 other versions I exclude). I don't get the same feel with Metamorphosis in the same way because that was simply released to satisfy contractual obligations.

It wasn't any kind of contractual obligation as The Rolling Stones had nothing to do with ABKCO Records in 1975.

METAMORPHOSIS contains tracks recorded for LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS.

As I remember it, Metamorphosis was the result of an out-of-court settlement between ABKCO and the Stones concerning ongoing disputes about alleged unfulfilled contractual duties. Even Bill Wyman was involved to dig out suitable tracks from the archives, but his original picks and concept for the "Black Box" album were discarded by ABKCO, allegedly because they included too few Jagger-Richards compositions and therefore reduced ABKCO's potential income from publishing.

Date: July 17, 2019 19:03

Everything I've ever read was about how they owed one more single, hence (the other name for it) School Boy Blues. I know Klein was a prick about a lot of things and had saved those leftovers for something, in this case, to take advantage of the Stones going on tour.

I thought the whole Black Box thing was so that it wouldn't be such a bad release, they still had nothing to do with it legally.

Date: July 17, 2019 20:07

GasLightStreet
Everything I've ever read was about how they owed one more single, hence (the other name for it) School Boy Blues. I know Klein was a prick about a lot of things and had saved those leftovers for something, in this case, to take advantage of the Stones going on tour.

I thought the whole Black Box thing was so that it wouldn't be such a bad release, they still had nothing to do with it legally.

it wasn't actual contractual obligations but it was because klein felt he was still allowed to release 1 new album per year. klein and decca were both releasing stuff nonstop after the stones left the label for sticky fingers. the stones management had gotten involved somehow after decca and abkco had released 7 compilations in a matter of 3 years, 1971-1973. notice decca nor abkco released anything in 1974. some agreement was reached and that's why the stones, decca and abkco all released something in 1975 to compete against eachother. that was pretty much the end of the decca and abkco wave of recycled hits releases, although abkco ended things with a collection of unreleased stuff. decca only had 2 compilations after 1975 and abkco only had the singles collection

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 17, 2019 20:26

SomeGuy
Til The Next Goodbye is one of the best slower songs of the 70s in my opinion, perhaps a bit unusual for them because it is one of the more sincere ones, without being sentimental. The total opposite of the superficiality of Fool To Cry. Again, my opinion.

Yes, just your opinion ... and I agree! thumbs up

Date: July 17, 2019 23:19

peoplewitheyes
Just listening to Til the Next Goodbye right now. Certainly not the best track of the 70s, but it reminds me of something that elevates even mediocre songs like this one, and something that has been missing for a few decades now:

HARMONIES!!

Sing it together men!
Mick, double/triple track your own vocal
Mick, do your best Keef impression on the harmonies

To me those ragged are such an important feature (Plunder My Soul I think was the last time we heard them in action). Why did they decide to abandon harmonies 'lately' - D&G, B&L??

One More Shot!

Date: July 18, 2019 03:32

GasLightStreet

That's more or less the simplified version of the struggle to leave ABKCO as first spread by Roy Carr. However, there was more to it. Here's just one example of various discussions here on this board about this subject :

Leaving ABKCO

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 19, 2019 16:12

Meanwhile...
[www.list.co.uk]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 16:17

That means no Stones album in 2019.

KRiffhard
Meanwhile...
[www.list.co.uk]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 19, 2019 17:32

With Mick saying "This one is from STEEL WHEELS" on the 2019 tour, I got to laughing - that thing is 30 YEARS OLD!!!!

1989, 1994, 1997, 2005, 2016.

Almost 15 years without a new original studio album, yet Mick hates nostalgia and looking back but... loves playing all those old songs.

A new album would be good. Watch it come out in the spring of 2020, they do a 2 year world tour for it consisting of 28 shows, and hang it up for good in 2022 (probably with another greatest hits album to celebrate 60 years or some archaic thing).

Date: July 19, 2019 17:39

79-80 even 81 for Charlie, well...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 19, 2019 18:26

powerage78

KRiffhard
Meanwhile...
[www.list.co.uk]

Who would have ever thought it...Ronnie being the most creative and productive member of the Stones?!!!
New Stones album pushed back further...late 2020 at the earliest with 2021 probably being more accurate...maybe even 2022/23.

Date: July 19, 2019 19:03

Or no album at all...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2019 04:56

Or solo albums from all of them...including another Jazz album from Charlie and his side band.
Can't say I'd be disappointed with another Keith solo album vs. a new Stones album - in fact I would prefer it.
As for Mick and Charlie solo albums...no thank you Mick, and Charlie can do whatever he wants I guess.

Date: July 20, 2019 07:20

It seems a bit odd that, considering they're all OK with playing all the old songs, from 1965-1981 on average, BECAUSE OF Mick...

What a weird way for The Rolling Stones to go out, historically.

All this concern about the next generation and beyond... when really the fact will be: a generation will never look up, and because of that, will have zero knowledge about the moon yet alone music.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 20, 2019 07:39

Hairball
powerage78

KRiffhard
Meanwhile...
[www.list.co.uk]

Who would have ever thought it...Ronnie being the most creative and productive member of the Stones?!!!
New Stones album pushed back further...late 2020 at the earliest with 2021 probably being more accurate...maybe even 2022/23.

If i were Mick/Keith i would feel a certain embarrassment in waiting so many years for the release of new songs.
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 20, 2019 07:41

Hairball
powerage78

KRiffhard
Meanwhile...
[www.list.co.uk]

Poor soul ... Since he recorded and is coming out with a new album ... he hasn't had any family time in at least a few years Im sure of it ...

(sorry ... couldnt resist bahahaha). In seriousness ... No new Stones album in 2019 then ya might as well guess. Spring of 2020 We will get it ..Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe! ha

Date: July 20, 2019 09:02

It will be a 60th Anniversary thing. And that means we will see hundreds of more "last post by Ian Billen" markers in the thread overview for this subject before its final release date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-20 09:03 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...357358359360361362363364365366367...LastNext
Current Page: 362 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home