Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...353354355356357358359360361362363...LastNext
Current Page: 358 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 6, 2019 21:16

This thread is just there for the hype. They've been doing these kind of threads on U2 message boards for decades. Every time a new album is about a year old, another "new album" thread pops up.

As for now, there is no new album, there is just a "Honk".

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 7, 2019 00:25

billwebster
This thread is just there for the hype. They've been doing these kind of threads on U2 message boards for decades. Every time a new album is about a year old, another "new album" thread pops up.

At least U2 has released 3 albums in the period since A Bigger Bang was released (although these albums were all commercial and critical failures so I wonder why everyone wants to hear new music so badly). Both U2 and the Rolling Stones are spent creatively at this point. If and when a new album is released it will likely suck anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-07 00:36 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 7, 2019 00:32

Make a album choose the 4 best songs and release it as an EP................and release the rest on an unofficial bootleg and everybody is happy............to tell you through I never played BB since it was released

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 7, 2019 00:50

TornAndFried
billwebster

At least U2 has released 3 albums in the period since A Bigger Bang was released (although these albums were all commercial and critical failures so I wonder why everyone wants to hear new music so badly). Both U2 and the Rolling Stones are spent creatively at this point. If and when a new album is released it will likely suck anyway.
Let's hear it first and then we can rip it to shreds.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 7, 2019 01:07

TornAndFried have you stopped your medication again?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 7, 2019 01:15

NICOS
Make a album choose the 4 best songs and release it as an EP................and release the rest on an unofficial bootleg and everybody is happy............to tell you through I never played BB since it was released

Actually that's the best option for older acts to release new music without ruining your discography releasing bad records that no one cares.

The Stones should release 2 new songs each year, no albums anymore, just a single and their legacy will remain intact, if the new song is bad is just a song and not a whole new album.

Sadly nothing new was released after Doom and Gloom and One More Shot in 2012, they spent 4 days in the studio to record both songs, with 4-5 days in the studio each year 2013-2019 and a bit of focus we would have 12-14 new songs released now.

They insist on releasing a whole new album some day instead, an album which had endless sessions in 4 years and nobody knows when will be finished and released, not even Universal.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 7, 2019 02:23

I don't know what the Stones are doing re the new album but I wish they'd get their act together
The Who played 2 brand new (unreleaaed) songs tonight
I wish the Stones had more guts...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2019 03:23

georgelicks
NICOS

Actually that's the best option for older acts to release new music without ruining your discography releasing bad records that no one cares.

The Stones should release 2 new songs each year, no albums anymore, just a single and their legacy will remain intact, if the new song is bad is just a song and not a whole new album.

Sadly nothing new was released after Doom and Gloom and One More Shot in 2012, they spent 4 days in the studio to record both songs, with 4-5 days in the studio each year 2013-2019 and a bit of focus we would have 12-14 new songs released now.

They insist on releasing a whole new album some day instead, an album which had endless sessions in 4 years and nobody knows when will be finished and released, not even Universal.

thumbs up

john lomax
I don't know what the Stones are doing re the new album but I wish they'd get their act together
The Who played 2 brand new (unreleaaed) songs tonight
I wish the Stones had more guts...

LONG LIVE ROCK!!! thumbs upsmiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 7, 2019 09:04

georgelicks
NICOS

thumbs up

Date: July 7, 2019 09:33

I prefer a full album at this point. 4 songs here and 2 songs there, they've already done that...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 7, 2019 11:08

DandelionPowderman
I prefer a full album at this point. 4 songs here and 2 songs there, they've already done that...

thumbs up

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 7, 2019 11:36

NICOS

You should play it more. It contains some good songs such as Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues and No Expectations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-07 11:37 by walkingthedog.

Date: July 7, 2019 15:07

walkingthedog
NICOS

You should play it more. It contains some good songs such as Sympathy For The Devil, Stray Cat Blues and No Expectations.

yup great songs winking smiley

Date: July 7, 2019 16:52

walkingthedog
NICOS

grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 7, 2019 19:49

DandelionPowderman

Yep, but at this point you don't have 2 songs, 4 songs or the full album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2019 20:15

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

At this point I'd settle for anything brand new and original. Even one damn song. Even if it's a stinker. Anything I tell ya!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2019 06:50

TornAndFried
billwebster

U2's 3 albums were not critical failures. What a joke. Commercial failures? Compared to what? 1987? 1991?

Apparently and obviously U2 is not spent creatively. To people in reality, anyway.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:51

DandelionPowderman

Dismally.

Date: July 8, 2019 06:53

NICOS

I know a lot of people that have played BEGGARS BANQUET since it was released... most of them born after it was released.

You might want to change yer crowd.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2019 07:42

I think he is Bigger Banging ya …..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2019 09:41

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman

True. That's why I'm patient. Let them take their time..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 8, 2019 10:00

There is something disrespectful about it.
For those who have been waiting for new material for 15 years and are tired of hearing the millionth live version of Start me up, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man ...
I would have appreciated that they said: "we are a "live band" and we no longer give a f%$# about recording new material"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 10:05 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 8, 2019 10:16

KRiffhard
There is something disrespectful about it.
For those who have been waiting for new material for 15 years and are tired of hearing the millionth live version of Start me up, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man ...
I would have appreciated that they said: "we are a "live band" and we no longer give a f%$# about recording new material"[[/b]/quote]

I think that's what they are saying.

At least we got Crosseyed Heart from Keith, that showed Keith wants to record and record well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 10:17 by keithsman.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: July 8, 2019 14:10

the who did some news songs...but Pete @#$%& up the start, maybe his scarf got in the way!!!....anyway it sounded poor - could be youtube iphone recording

Date: July 8, 2019 15:40

GasLightStreet
TornAndFried
billwebster

U2's 3 albums were not critical failures. What a joke. Commercial failures? Compared to what? 1987? 1991?

Apparently and obviously U2 is not spent creatively. To people in reality, anyway.

agreed. critically the albums have gotten lots of praise

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 16:26

NICOS

But who is to say WHAT the best 4 tracks are though? You can't tell me She Saw me Coming or Sweet NeoCon released on the Bigger Bang album are better than Under the Radar or I Don't Wanna go home. The latter two were left off the album proper... yet both are clearly superior to the two tracks I mention that were deemed album worthy.

Just bloody release everything/something, before we ALL die!

Rod

Date: July 8, 2019 17:20

i liked "she saw me coming"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 8, 2019 17:38

For me, Rod nails it when it comes to the EP concept. Using A BIGGER BANG as the example, if we turned it into an EP we would not have agreement on which four tracks were the standouts. I would take "Rain Fall Down," "Biggest Mistake," "Dangerous Beauty," and "Laugh? I Nearly Died" for my EP. Others would wince at some or all of those selections.

Even accepting a certain amount of filler, I would prefer A BIGGER BANG to be nineteen tracks incorporating all the Jagger-Richards material released that year. It would fit on a single dic (I've done it). The album is certainly no worse for including "Under the Radar," "We Don't Wanna Go Home," or "Hurricane." The same with the B-sides for STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, and BRIDGES TO BABYLON. If I'm going to buy otherwise pointless CD singles and overpriced Japanese imports to get the extra songs, just put it all out as is.

I'm not interested in pretending it's 1974, the band are 30 years old, and we only get 10 killer tracks. There was still filler then as well, truth be told. Orphan tracks just force me to burn a CDR so that I can slot the material properly in my collection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 17:39 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2019 17:53

Rocky Dijon
For me, Rod nails it when it comes to the EP concept. Using A BIGGER BANG as the example, if we turned it into an EP we would not have agreement on which four tracks were the standouts. I would take "Rain Fall Down," "Biggest Mistake," "Dangerous Beauty," and "Laugh? I Nearly Died" for my EP. Others would wince at some or all of those selections.

Even accepting a certain amount of filler, I would prefer A BIGGER BANG to be nineteen tracks incorporating all the Jagger-Richards material released that year. It would fit on a single dic (I've done it). The album is certainly no worse for including "Under the Radar," "We Don't Wanna Go Home," or "Hurricane." The same with the B-sides for STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, and BRIDGES TO BABYLON. If I'm going to buy otherwise pointless CD singles and overpriced Japanese imports to get the extra songs, just put it all out as is.

I'm not interested in pretending it's 1974, the band are 30 years old, and we only get 10 killer tracks. There was still filler then as well, truth be told. Orphan tracks just force me to burn a CDR so that I can slot the material properly in my collection.

thumbs upTotally agree.

Partly in my case I suppose because I still favour vinyl and I want all the material to be released on LP. [over however may discs it requires.]

And I don't get this EP argument at all.
If you've a dozen tracks , why release any fewer ?

Sure, some may be better than others...but has that not always been the case foe every artist who ever recorded ?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 8, 2019 18:48

Of course you can say the more tracks on an album the better. You can later cherry pick your 10 favorite songs from a 19-songs album and you would probably have a great album (depending on your personal taste).

But on the other hand this "puttin (almost) everything we have on the album" in case of VL, B2B and ABB leads in fact to albums that are seemingly average or subpar. I consider Bridges To Babylon a very mediocre album because of its amount of "fillers". But if I drop off everything I do not like there would remain 37 minutes of imo great music. So there are pros and cons in putting every finished song on an album - Overall subpar impression versus the possibility to create your own definitve version.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...353354355356357358359360361362363...LastNext
Current Page: 358 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home