Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...342343344345346347348349350351352...LastNext
Current Page: 347 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2019 16:01

Spoilsport. cool smiley

Would love a new song debut at the opener, but realistically not counting on it or getting my hopes up.
I'd put the odds at about 60/40 in favor of one though.. fingers crossed!!
This opener will be a very special one regardless..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2019 16:02

What's the matter with you? You don't want new songs for the tour?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 18, 2019 17:07

Rip This
@#$%& new songs for the tour.... play some nuggets on this tour and the world will be a better place... Slave... Fingerprint File, Heartbreaker, Hand of Fate give us the tunes that make this band the best band ever

That's the sad part - there are SO MANY good/great songs they haven't or have rarely played. It seems that the nuances of some songs are just brickwalled when they play them live - like Heartbreaker (awful) or when they managed to play Emotional Rescue (they plowed through it), even Miss You doesn't ever chill out.

If they were to feature TATTOO YOU, say 5 songs other than the usual, I bet it would go over well, since a lot of people love that album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:24

How many in the crowd do you believe to have TY in their rack?
Not too many I´d like to say. Most of the crowd are just "tourists", seeing the Stones like visiting the pyramids or the Eiffel Tower. I guess only 15 % of the crowd are collectors of their albums.

Date: June 18, 2019 18:33

HMS
How many in the crowd do you believe to have TY in their rack?

Quite a lot, really, based on people I know that are not Stones fans like the knobs here.

HMS
Not too many I´d like to say.

You like to say a lot of things that aren't based in reality, as it finds a way to loop again and again, like now. Alternative facts.

HMS
Most of the crowd are just "tourists", seeing the Stones like visiting the pyramids or the Eiffel Tower. I guess only 15 % of the crowd are collectors of their albums.

Keep guessing. Never stop. One day you may end up being "right".

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 18, 2019 19:15

Stoneage
What's the matter with you? You don't want new songs for the tour?

What new songs ? Have they finished any?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 18, 2019 20:33

JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball
There's always hope JordyLicks96 just as there always is, but I have a feeling we might be in for a nice surprise this time around. thumbs up

It's been a LONG time...

Those are my exact expectations. I think they really want this to be a great album from start to finish. They've worked on this thing for over 3 years. It HAS to be a solid album and I expect it to be.

If they put out a fair album it would put a slight damper on the end portion of their career (they know that). As well Blue & Lonesome was very well received. A slightly surprising hit record actually .... and it sold well. Now they have something they have to live up to or surpass (they realize that as well).

In short .. there is something riding on this album and they know it.

Agreed Ian, this album is very important to their legacy. With SATANIC, they knew they needed to come out with a back-to-basics album. BEGGARS BANQUET did just that. The mid-seventies shoved them in the corner being labeled as "aging rock stars" and an "outdated band." So they shoved it back down the critics' throats with their best selling American album, SOME GIRLS. In '89 they had the biggest comeback in rock history with the STEEL WHEELS TOUR. The album, while feeling like a comeback itself, wasn't a fantastic effort as a whole. Since then they have put out albums that haven't lived up to a full Stones fan standards. It's now been the longest stretch in their history without an album of originals. It's by no means a make or break for them, but if the name THE ROLLING STONES wants to make headlines again, this album needs to be solid. No fillers. No 16 tracks, over an hour long. This album NEEDS to be the best album since TATTOO YOU.

I pretty much agree with all of that. It has been reported that every album since TY was the best since TY .. but this one truly needs to be in order to continue their name or end their years as still truly a great band at this point.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 18, 2019 21:41

IanBillen
JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball
There's always hope JordyLicks96 just as there always is, but I have a feeling we might be in for a nice surprise this time around. thumbs up

It's been a LONG time...

Those are my exact expectations. I think they really want this to be a great album from start to finish. They've worked on this thing for over 3 years. It HAS to be a solid album and I expect it to be.

If they put out a fair album it would put a slight damper on the end portion of their career (they know that). As well Blue & Lonesome was very well received. A slightly surprising hit record actually .... and it sold well. Now they have something they have to live up to or surpass (they realize that as well).

Agreed Ian, this album is very important to their legacy. With SATANIC, they knew they needed to come out with a back-to-basics album. BEGGARS BANQUET did just that. The mid-seventies shoved them in the corner being labeled as "aging rock stars" and an "outdated band." So they shoved it back down the critics' throats with their best selling American album, SOME GIRLS. In '89 they had the biggest comeback in rock history with the STEEL WHEELS TOUR. The album, while feeling like a comeback itself, wasn't a fantastic effort as a whole. Since then they have put out albums that haven't lived up to a full Stones fan standards. It's now been the longest stretch in their history without an album of originals. It's by no means a make or break for them, but if the name THE ROLLING STONES wants to make headlines again, this album needs to be solid. No fillers. No 16 tracks, over an hour long. This album NEEDS to be the best album since TATTOO YOU.

I pretty much agree with all of that. It has been reported that every album since TY was the best since TY .. but this one truly needs to be in order to continue their name or end their years as still truly a great band at this point.

There must never be a lack of "the best album since Tattoo You (or Some Girl)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 21:43 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 19, 2019 00:06

JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

Dudes & Dudettes: NO ONE CARES (relatively speaking, of course) about a Stones album in 2019 (or beyond). If one ever is released it will have all the impact on their legacy that B&L or ABB or VL or BtB or SW have had ... which is to say, NONE.

Date: June 19, 2019 02:10

LazarusSmith
JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

Dudes & Dudettes: NO ONE CARES (relatively speaking, of course) about a Stones album in 2019 (or beyond). If one ever is released it will have all the impact on their legacy that B&L or ABB or VL or BtB or SW have had ... which is to say, NONE.

I know exactly what you mean but due to the fact that you are misinterpreting what we are saying about this situation I think you're wrong .. their fans care. I'm not saying the world is waiting on the next Stones record like The Beatles in 1968 or even The Stones in 1981 .. (naturally .. that is living in a fantasy world) I'm talking about the critics.. and their fans and how it will reflect on their final studio days.

It will be a reflection of who they are now as a band (yes.. that is still what they are and what they would still like to be seen as to a certain degree) .. and how it will finalize their recording career (being as I think ...they probably realize it could very well be / is more than likely their last studio album .. ).

It could be icing on the cake .. or a whimper / let down .. that gives more evidence to many that they should consider retiring. The album will be looked at as one or the other .. so a lot is riding on it that way is how it is and what we are saying.

The Stones very well know that .. in fact.. journalists who have interviewed them have said they (The Stones) realize this.

There is more riding on this record than any since ... Steel Wheels some 30 years ago (which wasnt that great of an album but the tour carried them on).

That is where we are coming from with the weight of this record. You can have a nice ending to their studio career .. or one that gives evidence they should of hung it up long ago ... a let down and downer to their existence now. That is what we are saying and I think this aspect is true... so do The Stones.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-19 02:13 by IanBillen.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 19, 2019 02:10

It's not about that anymore. It is about their integrity and their honor as artists. They still need to produce new music. Look at Springsteen, he just released an album and he is all over the news. The kind of publicity and money that they would love. If an average fan sees the stones have a new album on the news, they'll probably give it a listen. If a fan sees the CD or record in a book or record store on their walk home from work, they will buy it. Simple as that. An album, nowadays, is for publicity.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: June 19, 2019 03:06

It's all about ending on a good note (album).

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: June 19, 2019 07:45

IanBillen
LazarusSmith
JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

I know exactly what you mean but due to the fact that you are misinterpreting what we are saying about this situation I think you're wrong .. their fans care. I'm not saying the world is waiting on the next Stones record like The Beatles in 1968 or even The Stones in 1981 .. (naturally .. that is living in a fantasy world) I'm talking about the critics.. and their fans and how it will reflect on their final studio days.

It will be a reflection of who they are now as a band (yes.. that is still what they are and what they would still like to be seen as to a certain degree) .. and how it will finalize their recording career (being as I think ...they probably realize it could very well be / is more than likely their last studio album .. ).

It could be icing on the cake .. or a whimper / let down .. that gives more evidence to many that they should consider retiring. The album will be looked at as one or the other .. so a lot is riding on it that way is how it is and what we are saying.

The Stones very well know that .. in fact.. journalists who have interviewed them have said they (The Stones) realize this.

There is more riding on this record than any since ... Steel Wheels some 30 years ago (which wasnt that great of an album but the tour carried them on).

That is where we are coming from with the weight of this record. You can have a nice ending to their studio career .. or one that gives evidence they should of hung it up long ago ... a let down and downer to their existence now. That is what we are saying and I think this aspect is true... so do The Stones.

Ian

Couldn't have said it better myself Ian. To the fans, this last album is VERY important to their legacy for us. It has to be solid from start to finish. If I were them, I'd look at the song selection like they did for SOME GIRLS. No filler. 12 great songs, start to finish. If it's a letdown, it has to hang on to the end of their career forever. I had differing opinions before, but I realize that a working band is 50% studio/50% touring. For the past 13 years, they've only been 50% of a working band. New music is what keeps a band alive. Even though they've extensively toured since 2012, no new music has been produced, and like Mick said recently, it's a shame they haven't put out more new music. BLUE & LONESOME does not count as "new" material.

I think we're in for a surprise. An album that won't disappoint. I trust that The Glimmer Twins have been writing solid new songs together. I'm waiting ever so patiently, but when I hear the first guitar riff or drum beat of that first new track, I'll be sent into another universe.

Date: June 19, 2019 19:54

JordyLicks96
IanBillen
LazarusSmith
JordyLicks96
IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

Ian

Couldn't have said it better myself Ian. To the fans, this last album is VERY important to their legacy for us. It has to be solid from start to finish. If I were them, I'd look at the song selection like they did for SOME GIRLS. No filler. 12 great songs, start to finish. If it's a letdown, it has to hang on to the end of their career forever. I had differing opinions before, but I realize that a working band is 50% studio/50% touring. For the past 13 years, they've only been 50% of a working band. New music is what keeps a band alive. Even though they've extensively toured since 2012, no new music has been produced, and like Mick said recently, it's a shame they haven't put out more new music. BLUE & LONESOME does not count as "new" material.

I think we're in for a surprise. An album that won't disappoint. I trust that The Glimmer Twins have been writing solid new songs together. I'm waiting ever so patiently, but when I hear the first guitar riff or drum beat of that first new track, I'll be sent into another universe.

Yepp .. there is plenty riding on it. You can have an end to the most cataloged ... or perhaps unmatched spanning studio album acts and one of or the biggest
band of all time (arguably) .. with a good point or a bad point.

Since Blue & Lonesome did so well and was such a surprise hit I think it made them realize even more that people DO care if it's good .. loook at the
attention it got .. Well now they realize this record is to be a later day judgement call ... = should of stopped and retired perhaps even a while back ... or 'Wow ..can you believe them Rolling Stones!?'.

I think it is why they are being so very careful and taking their time with it ... However I still say they have blown it off etc. But getting a cared for product that took too long for most peoples taste is better than something too fast and lackluster.

As far as them writing together .. yes .. they have been meeting a lot of times .. every few months or every month or so for 2-3 days just to write together and have meetings on the material itself. They want to be on the same page with this one it seems. Sure.. they are not spending weeks on end together but they keep filling the time at consecutive intervals .. (a good sign things are good with them, writing wise). IMO I think they both are trying to make this as good as record as possible .. 'together' .. even if it takes longer over time. This is something sort of new in regards to how this is being put together.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-19 20:02 by IanBillen.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 19, 2019 22:17

i can't wait for this to happen ... i care!!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 20, 2019 00:38

To the 'real fans' like us, a new album would be a big deal.
But to the Rolling Stones audience -- most of the people who buy tickets for their shows, and won't even recognize Sad Sad Sad if it's played on this tour -- it wouldn't even register.
The Stones are in a place where they hardly need the 'real fans' anymore.

Date: June 20, 2019 03:26

wonderboy
But to the Rolling Stones audience -- most of the people who buy tickets for their shows, and won't even recognize Sad Sad Sad if it's played on this tour -- it wouldn't even register.

Perhaps but when you say RS audience many of those who attend would be familiar
if they had a new album. Many knew of their Blues album was out who attended shows that occured six months later and they did not tour at that albums juncture.

This is by far and away the longest they have been without a new studio album (original material) .. so that also adds to the fact that many eyes and ears will be curious as to what they bring to the table. If its really good it will suffice and quiet the naysayers .. if it isnt ... folks will say they should of retired 14-15 years ago at the end of their last studio albums touring or even before that.

It can be a good endcap or a bad note .. and they know it.

A new Rolling Stones album (or any older artist) isn't about selling 10 million albums or having four number one songs on the Billboard 100 .. it's about them as artists and their integrity as artists as was mentioned. Having a lame end on a sour note or having something really good that proves they were artists until the end (besides being simply an entertainment act of sorts like KISS or something) ... this is whats at stake (I think The Stones know all this).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-20 03:29 by IanBillen.

Date: June 20, 2019 08:38

Based on another page, it seems extremely likely that a new song will NOT be played June 21.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 20, 2019 12:46

IanBillen
A new Rolling Stones album (or any older artist) isn't about selling 10 million albums or having four number one songs on the Billboard 100 .. it's about them as artists and their integrity as artists as was mentioned. Having a lame end on a sour note or having something really good that proves they were artists until the end (besides being simply an entertainment act of sorts like KISS or something) ... this is whats at stake (I think The Stones know all this).

I get that Ian ...but I don't think they quite become Kiss just by not having a new record out winking smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 20, 2019 17:49

From Keith's interview with Jane Stevenson of the Toronto Sun, published June 20:

“We had cut some tracks in L.A. in February,” said Keith Richards, 75, down the line from tour rehearsals in London before they arrive Saturday, June 29, at Burl’s Creek in Oro-Medonte, Ont., for their only Canadian date.

“We did a bit of that to fill in the time and keep the chops in,” said Richards with a chuckle in a Canadian newspaper exclusive with the Toronto Sun.

“Cause now the tour’s on, we’ll probably not think about it again until the fall I guess is when we’ll get back into it. You never can tell how long it’s going to take. It’d be nice to have it out by the end of the year, but I ain’t making any promises.”

Fans have certainly been waiting a long time to hear new music.

When the Stones’ new album is released it will be their first studio album of original music since 2005’s A Bigger Bang.

Richards said “the sound is very hard to put into words, just that it’s sounding very good. The boys are in great shape actually. We’re surprising ourselves. That’s the point.”

[torontosun.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 20, 2019 17:55

bye bye johnny
From Keith's interview with Jane Stevenson of the Toronto Sun, published June 20:

“We had cut some tracks in L.A. in February,” said Keith Richards, 75, down the line from tour rehearsals in London before they arrive Saturday, June 29, at Burl’s Creek in Oro-Medonte, Ont., for their only Canadian date.

“We did a bit of that to fill in the time and keep the chops in,” said Richards with a chuckle in a Canadian newspaper exclusive with the Toronto Sun.

Cause now the tour’s on, we’ll probably not think about it again until the fall I guess is when we’ll get back into it. You never can tell how long it’s going to take. It’d be nice to have it out by the end of the year, but I ain’t making any promises.”

Fans have certainly been waiting a long time to hear new music.

When the Stones’ new album is released it will be their first studio album of original music since 2005’s A Bigger Bang.

Richards said “the sound is very hard to put into words, just that it’s sounding very good. The boys are in great shape actually. We’re surprising ourselves. That’s the point.”

[torontosun.com]

2020... sad smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2019 18:54

Not holding my breath...maybe a single or EP in time for X-mas would be the answer, but then there's the live NoFilter stuff that needs to be dealt with.
Surely they'll release something No Filter Tour related soon after it's finished, otherwise most folks would lose interest...sort of like what's happened with a new album of originals.

Date: June 20, 2019 20:03

Welp that about does it. I am HIGHLY doubtful the album will be out this year. I've been thinking 2020 for a few months now:

- NO FILTER US TOUR June-August 2019
- Work on the album in the Fall...probably November-December 2019
- Continue work on the album late January, early February 2020
- Another tour, probably Asia/Australia starting in April/May 2020
- Finish work on the album; Mixing and Mastering early Fall 2020
- New Album out November-December 2020

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 20, 2019 20:26

That's the best case of scenario, a release around Christmas 2020, touring will be the #1 priority, ALWAYS, so any work on the new album will be delayed if another tour pops up: No Filter didn't tour Asia, Australia or South America yet.

Before anyone ask, they can drag this album during years, there's nothing on their contract with a deadline, and they are the Stones, they can do anything they want.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:04

Looks like BV was right,once again, when he said we would know by tomorrow about whether there was going to be anything new released.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: June 20, 2019 23:24

IanBillen
wonderboy

if they had a new album. Many knew of their Blues album was out who attended shows that occured six months later and they did not tour at that albums juncture.

This is by far and away the longest they have been without a new studio album (original material) .. so that also adds to the fact that many eyes and ears will be curious as to what they bring to the table. If its really good it will suffice and quiet the naysayers .. if it isnt ... folks will say they should of retired 14-15 years ago at the end of their last studio albums touring or even before that.

Ian, I gotta tip my hat to you, this is spoken like a true believer! These guys haven't had a record that the wider world cared about in nearly 40 years and have become a greatest-hits touring machine like the universe has never seen ... when and where have they ever really demonstrated a commitment to their own "integrity as artists"? They're entertainers -- I think that's all they've ever claimed to be, no? They wrote some GREAT pop/rock songs back in the day and have developed a genius for capitalizing on regurgitating those tunes ad nauseum to audiences who keep on comin.'

The Stones have not had a late-career "Love & Theft" or Blackstar: they have not had a record that from an artistic point of view is likely to survive the test of time. They have released six (6) albums of original music in the past 36 years ... and I would venture a guess that if they had released ZERO albums in the past 36 years they would be filling stadia around the world at approximately the same rate that they do today. (In fact, if they were willing to jettison SMU, IORR, and TD), they could really just tour the Hot Rocks collection endlessly and everybody would still go home happy.

Look at the streaming numbers on Spotify for all the latter-day Stones records. Nobody exposed to the band today is going back and queuing up tracks from any of them. They're listening to JJF and SFTD and PIB and GS and HTW, etc. Those songs all have VERY healthy listens while "Out of Control," "Saint of Me," "Flip the Switch," "Love is Strong," and "Oh No Not You Again" languish in obscurity.

I don't know whether they'll ever release another album, or, if they do, whether it will be any good, or make ABB look like Let it Bleed. But I would say that given the track record for new material from ANYONE over 40 in today's market, it will be heavily promoted on NPR and CBS' Sunday Morning, and it won't have even a scintilla of impact on the band's ultimate legacy -- which was cemented by what they'd done in the first decade of their existence.

Obviously, WE would all spin - or stream - a new Stones record ... at least a few times. Even in the worst case, it would be a historical curiosity for the cognoscenti. But they have been moribund for sooooo long as a band that produces and puts front and center new music. It's just not what they do, nor frankly what the world wants from them. They know exactly what enriches the financial legacies they will leave their heirs ... and they have some fun in the process. Can't imagine after all these years that the idea of anything 'artistic' even crosses their minds.

Date: June 20, 2019 23:29

Rokyfan
Looks like BV was right,once again, when he said we would know by tomorrow about whether there was going to be anything new released.

Based on the fact Don Was was quoted saying they haven't even picked the songs out yet, that should have been a clue that nothing is close to being finished yet.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 21, 2019 02:42

georgelicks
That's the best case of scenario, a release around Christmas 2020, touring will be the #1 priority, ALWAYS, so any work on the new album will be delayed if another tour pops up: No Filter didn't tour Asia, Australia or South America yet.

Before anyone ask, they can drag this album during years, there's nothing on their contract with a deadline, and they are the Stones, they can do anything they want.

Now please tell that our one and only Ian Billen...I've tried numerous times...no luck at all.

Date: June 21, 2019 06:52

LazarusSmith
IanBillen
wonderboy

Ian, I gotta tip my hat to you, this is spoken like a true believer! These guys haven't had a record that the wider world cared about in nearly 40 years and have become a greatest-hits touring machine like the universe has never seen ... when and where have they ever really demonstrated a commitment to their own "integrity as artists"? They're entertainers -- I think that's all they've ever claimed to be, no? They wrote some GREAT pop/rock songs back in the day and have developed a genius for capitalizing on regurgitating those tunes ad nauseum to audiences who keep on comin.'

The Stones have not had a late-career "Love & Theft" or Blackstar: they have not had a record that from an artistic point of view is likely to survive the test of time. They have released six (6) albums of original music in the past 36 years ... and I would venture a guess that if they had released ZERO albums in the past 36 years they would be filling stadia around the world at approximately the same rate that they do today. (In fact, if they were willing to jettison SMU, IORR, and TD), they could really just tour the Hot Rocks collection endlessly and everybody would still go home happy.

Look at the streaming numbers on Spotify for all the latter-day Stones records. Nobody exposed to the band today is going back and queuing up tracks from any of them. They're listening to JJF and SFTD and PIB and GS and HTW, etc. Those songs all have VERY healthy listens while "Out of Control," "Saint of Me," "Flip the Switch," "Love is Strong," and "Oh No Not You Again" languish in obscurity.

I don't know whether they'll ever release another album, or, if they do, whether it will be any good, or make ABB look like Let it Bleed. But I would say that given the track record for new material from ANYONE over 40 in today's market, it will be heavily promoted on NPR and CBS' Sunday Morning, and it won't have even a scintilla of impact on the band's ultimate legacy -- which was cemented by what they'd done in the first decade of their existence.

Obviously, WE would all spin - or stream - a new Stones record ... at least a few times. Even in the worst case, it would be a historical curiosity for the cognoscenti. But they have been moribund for sooooo long as a band that produces and puts front and center new music. It's just not what they do, nor frankly what the world wants from them. They know exactly what enriches the financial legacies they will leave their heirs ... and they have some fun in the process. Can't imagine after all these years that the idea of anything 'artistic' even crosses their minds.

They NEED a Love & Theft or Blackstar (<incredible album btw) about right now .. is what Im saying.

Yes.. they still write songs and are working on an album .. that is artistry my friend. Anyone who is recording an album is an artist ..especially if they are writing the stuff. I am quite sure they still believe they are artists underneath it all .. (as well as live entertainers) ..

Anyone writing songs and recording an album IS an artist .. how quality they are is in the work at hand (and ... is up to / riding on this album).

Date: June 21, 2019 06:55

retired_dog
georgelicks

Now please tell that our one and only Ian Billen...I've tried numerous times...no luck at all.

Ok I got that.. though I've doubt he's saw it .. but roger that. Im not going to argue against something reported .. bc he would be more in the know than I about it obviously. However I am skeptical.

Never heard of a one album deal for a few mill with no deadline. They seem to ALL have deadlines .. at least for all the rest of the groups (jus sayin).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...342343344345346347348349350351352...LastNext
Current Page: 347 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home