Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...339340341342343344345346347348349...LastNext
Current Page: 344 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 5, 2019 00:19

Hairball
Great news.

Sounds like the idea of a single or EP release to coincide with the tour (which was talked about somewhere way back in time*) is actually going to happen after all....hopefully anyways.
If not an actual release, then there's hope that a new tune (or two) will be played during the live shows.

If there's just one thing that could boost the vibe of these upcoming concerts a notch above how vibrant they're already going to be, a new song (or two) would be the answer.
And if there's an actual release of a single or EP coinciding w/tour, no doubt it will sell like hotcakes...at the merch stands alone.

*I think it was both bv and georgelicks who mentioned the single/EP scenario prior to the original tour announcement. Also there was mention of the possibility of having ticket bundles sold w/new music.
While the latter is not happening, the former seems more of a reality now more than ever which can be seen as one of the benefits of having the tour postponed - the Stones will gift us with new music!

"We will know a lot more about this by June 21" - (bv)....less than three weeks away. eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Here's to hoping. thumbs up

Whoa-whoa .. well now wait a second my Kat. People here get on me for my thoughts about said album and that is based on actual reports (not you .. you disagree.. at times and tactfully but others do).

Ok look folks ... BV didn't say anything about an EP any time recent ... what he did say is that we will know more about the album by June 21 .. nothing more.

There is no EP coming .. What will they do ... announce it the day before the tour? There was an idea to 'possibly' put out an EP at one time .. that was a long while back. Now is simply the tour .. People here are already injecting things that have not been reported and is all their own idea here again. Nor did BV say anything about an EP in relation to the tour. He said we will 'know' more by then .. nothing more.. and he was speaking about the album.

There is no chance of a surprise EP .. The Stones don't do things like 'surprise new studio work' released right on the spot... nor will they (nor would UMG want that... they are going to maximize any new product in advance).

In short - This fictitious EP thing ain't gonna happen.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 00:24 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 5, 2019 00:20

bv
New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21.

That’s opening day of the tour.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 5, 2019 00:43

Will there be a press-conference style announcement or so on June 21? Or will we just get another letter/character on instagram and FB?

Meanwhile I'm fine with - almost - any form of release when it comes to new songs. Like others I'd not be happy with a streaming-only release of stuff that would not also end up on the/a CD. Likewise I wouldn't be happy with a strong single which is then not included on the album. But I'd certainly be fine with a good EP with, say, six songs (kinda half an album).

Doxa
Or maybe they just are men in their seventies whose working habits, be them making records or gigging, aren't like they were some, say, twenty years ago...

Also, it isn't always easy to pick up where you left off 10 to 15 years earlier, as regards working procedures. Age-related or general life issues come in addition.

edit:
Koen

In that case, doesn't really sound like there will be some announcement but we'll rather see whether there are new songs in the setlist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 00:48 by doitywoik.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 5, 2019 00:54

Playing a new song in multiple stadiums full of people, seems like a good marketing strategy. Also, will give them something new to talk about in press
interviews before and along the tour. If it’s at all possible then they should do it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2019 01:16

Koen
bv
New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21.

Right. So... we'll know June 21st if they play anything new/unreleased.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2019 01:16

Koen
bv

Yes. thumbs up

@Ian Billen- while you spent an entire post dismissing the idea of an EP, I also added there's the possibility and hope that a new tune (or two) will be played during the live shows without an actual release.
While chances of that happening might be slim, and even slimmer for a single release and/or EP - we won't know until the first show is in the history books - I believe that's what bv is hinting at.
Can't hurt to hope, and even though I won't get my hopes too high, it will be out of this world if something big happens on June 21st, ie "here's a new tune for you we've been working on and will be on our next album"
Not sure what else you think could happen on the 21st regarding news of the new album...maybe you think they're going to give a live interview and say it's coming along great?
Or maybe Don Was will make a special announcement regarding the slow progress? lol. On the opening day of the tour? That my friend makes no sense at all...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 01:20 by Hairball.

Date: June 5, 2019 01:48

Hairball
Koen
bv

Yes. thumbs up

@Ian Billen- while you spent an entire post dismissing the idea of an EP, I also added there's the possibility and hope that a new tune (or two) will be played during the live shows without an actual release.
While chances of that happening might be slim, and even slimmer for a single release and/or EP - we won't know until the first show is in the history books - I believe that's what bv is hinting at.
Can't hurt to hope, and even though I won't get my hopes too high, it will be out of this world if something big happens on June 21st, ie "here's a new tune for you we've been working on and will be on our next album"
Not sure what else you think could happen on the 21st regarding news of the new album...maybe you think they're going to give a live interview and say it's coming along great?
Or maybe Don Was will make a special announcement regarding the slow progress? lol. On the opening day of the tour? That my friend makes no sense at all...

Hoping for a new tune is realistic enough .. and that has more so been your wish... I understand that. However I wouldn't bet on it. Also Bv noted 'by'June 31 .. not on or at that time stamp.

I suspect we will get official word on the albums release time frame ie 'plan to release by the end of the year'. That is the best I think we will get.

Date: June 5, 2019 01:57

Ian Billen
I suspect we will get official word on the albums release time frame ie 'plan to release by the end of the year'. That is the best I think we will get.

If so, that certainly wouldn't be "a lot more about this" as was stated.
They've been saying that same crap for the last three years now.
Surely there's more to it than that!

Also, the correct date is June 21st opening day of tour (not the 31st). thumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 5, 2019 02:12

Times are different. They unleashed Hyde park and the totally stripped concerts without warning. They use social media now. Nobody reads Rolling Stone etc. I say release 2 fine songs on the 21st. It would do better than SOL or Doom and Gloom.
Press: jagger still on top after heart surgery
Stones rock Chicago and hard
Stones release 2 new songs for USA tour and play them live

To me, it’s a no brainer. Release 1 or 2 new tracks on the kick off date. Continue to use social media to tease the crap out of us until X-MAS

Ian, in all due respect what are we going to know on 6-21-19 unless they’re releasing something. “ we’re working on an album blah blah blah. It’s already been reported in the press. Secondly the stones are masters of marketing. You don’t think the clip and sound bites of jagger in the studio or a pic of Ronnie in the studio is just for giggles that have been teased to us over the last several months do you?
And I seriously doubt they would just play a new song live if fanatics like us couldn’t scoop it up immediately. I don’t think the stones want new material being judged by audiences worldwide from some guy filming on YouTube. Every show is bootlegged on video now. Clips from Chicago from various users will be up within hours. If they don’t release the studio version than I’m pretty sure they won’t play it live.

Date: June 5, 2019 02:20

And Don Was saying not one song is finished yet but about a month ago he was doing overdubs with Keith. I don’t expect a full album but I remain extremely positive for a song or two. More of this album is in the can I bet than any of us know.

Date: June 5, 2019 02:25

People have reported in posts they have about 20 songs. These are just hypothesis. Nobody really knows squat about any of it. And if they only did 20 maybe it’s really 20 killer songs that they decided to work on. Didn’t jagger say like 2 years ago he had 40 demos? This is most likely the last hurrah and they know it.

And yes if I’m sounding a little bitchy it’s the prednisone. LOL

Date: June 5, 2019 04:11

Hairball
Ian Billen

Also, the correct date is June 21st opening day of tour (not the 31st). thumbs up

Well .. you see... they never said when they plan on releasing it officially... so imo that would be major news to us (I mean lets face it... 'we aint had much!' .. ha). Yes June '21' ... (keep having their August 31 ending date in my head in determining the release window before the end of the year).

I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that. I think the most 'realistic' wish out of all of it is yours.... rather that is the very best option that is on the table is for them to play a few new tunes ...but I am pretty doubtful
about that with no release.

Not saying that's impossible.. it is the best realistic outcome IMO .. however
I'd still be pleasantly surprised if they pulled out any new tunes for this tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 04:16 by IanBillen.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: June 5, 2019 04:28

My interpretation of BV's post - rehearsing some the new songs (that are being recorded) which they may play at the opening concert of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 04:30 by rbp.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 5, 2019 04:52

At least, something directly related to the new album ought to happen. In case they play one new song that would still be better than nothing at all.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2019 05:18

Bashlets
People have reported in posts they have about 20 songs. These are just hypothesis. Nobody really knows squat about any of it. And if they only did 20 maybe it’s really 20 killer songs that they decided to work on. Didn’t jagger say like 2 years ago he had 40 demos? This is most likely the last hurrah and they know it.

And yes if I’m sounding a little bitchy it’s the prednisone. LOL

Look at where that info comes from. It's not just people saying shit.

Date: June 5, 2019 05:47

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Well .. you see... they never said when they plan on releasing it officially... so imo that would be major news to us (I mean lets face it... 'we aint had much!' .. ha). Yes June '21' ... (keep having their August 31 ending date in my head in determining the release window before the end of the year).

I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that. I think the most 'realistic' wish out of all of it is yours.... rather that is the very best option that is on the table is for them to play a few new tunes ...but I am pretty doubtful

I'd still be pleasantly surprised if they pulled out any new tunes for this tour.

Are you actually saying there will be some sort of an official announcement by June 21st that they are officially releasing the album by the end of the year...six months from now? Officially a done deal?!!! LOL
That's quite a stretch of the imagination Ian, and I don't buy it as it makes ZERO sense!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 5, 2019 06:10

My prediction is we'll get two new songs for the tour.
One will be this all finished up and polished. Gotta be cool smiley
[twitter.com]

Date: June 5, 2019 06:39

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Are you actually saying there will be some sort of an official announcement by June 21st that they are officially releasing the album by the end of the year...six months from now? Officially a done deal?!!! LOL
That's quite a stretch of the imagination Ian, and I don't buy it as it makes ZERO sense!

No .. Lol of course I'm not saying that. Announcing that on a tour beginning without it being ready to release would not only be really odd / horrid marketing but as well a slight slap in the audiences faces who attended (as well .. no official announcement comes from a band six months before hand .. not usually anyway).

Im saying RS magazine could do an article on the tour start and mention that they plan on releasing it by the end of the year. Or perhaps something on their website would mention it in a public post as a mere 'side note' within another published writing on their website .. but no official headline announcement or anything like that ... of course not. More was thinking a one or two sentence revelation within other credible content concerning another topic about The Stones (probably their tour).

My thoughts are ... Best possible realistic outcome = New tunes played on tour (but Im doubtful).

As for the Album = IMO Best possible 'realistic' outcome .. a mention .. in RS Mag or on their website of the albums progress and release time frame (that is the best outcome I think could happen album-wise by June 21 .. all through until tours end).

A surprise EP (or any other surprise release) = Zero chance

So basically Im right inline with your thoughts and opinions right now .. Im just not so optimistic about the slight possibility of new tunes played on this tour ...dats all ...sees? I admire your optimism though ... I honestly think it's a good trait that you have. smileys with beer

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 06:52 by IanBillen.

Date: June 5, 2019 06:55

Well Ian, at first you did say "you see... they never said when they plan on releasing it officially... so imo that would be major news to us".
And now you're saying there might just be a mere mention of it in RS magazine or something on their website?
How could any of those scenarios make sense just before the tour starts?
Sorry Ian, but you're simply not making sense any more. winking smiley

PS - Tell you what Ian...after June 21st either you or I can say "told you so", but if we keep speculating any further on this we might reach page 500 before you know it!

PPS - See MisterDDDD's poster above yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 06:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 5, 2019 08:51

I think it's highly unlikely there will be any new songs on this upcoming tour. Aside from a handful of hardcore fans, who wants to hear a new, unknown song in a 19 song set at a stadium rather than one of the literally dozens of well-known classic songs they don't play regularly? I for one, don't care if they ever release any new material again. The once-mighty Rolling Stones are just an expensive nostalgia act at this point and no longer a formidable creative unit. The best we can hope for is that they release some great archive material (live recordings or unfinished studio tracks).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-05 10:30 by TornAndFried.

Date: June 5, 2019 09:37

Hairball
Well Ian, at first you did say "you see... they never said when they plan on releasing it officially... so imo that would be major news to us".
And now you're saying there might just be a mere mention of it in RS magazine or something on their website?
How could any of those scenarios make sense just before the tour starts?
Sorry Ian, but you're simply not making sense any more. winking smiley

PS - Tell you what Ian...after June 21st either you or I can say "told you so", but if we keep speculating any further on this we might reach page 500 before you know it!

PPS - See MisterDDDD's poster above yours.

I meant .. 'official word' ... There has never been any 'official' word from any 'official' source of theirs on the album's release time frame or how far along they are etc.

If it is mentioned as a side note within an article or post on their website .. then that would be official word to me. If RS magazine reports it .. Id basically take that as good as official .. though it's not a representative of theirs.

I rephrase .. I did not mean official announcement (never did .. I explained that). I meant something official that mentions the album and a release time frame. That is the most we can hope for .. besides a new tune or two on this tour ..but I sorta doubt it will come into play. Ha

Cheers -

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 5, 2019 09:56

I predict a single-release to coincide with tour-start, or just after. A couple of new tracks that’ll be released for iTunes and streaming. Perhaps there will be limited edition vinyl release, too. I don’t suspect we’ll get more then this for now.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 5, 2019 11:06

CJFP
bv
Holy Bleep! That is the best news we have ha din a long time!

THAT'S NOT NEWS. Merely a reference to the possibility they may play a new song on tour, or not. I MYSELF may as well say the new album is a double and will be released tomorrow by way of a drop on iTunes. Is that NEWS??? Or just wishful out loud thinking?

Rod

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 5, 2019 14:34

bitusa2012

THAT'S NOT NEWS. Merely a reference to the possibility they may play a new song on tour, or not. I MYSELF may as well say the new album is a double and will be released tomorrow by way of a drop on iTunes. Is that NEWS??? Or just wishful out loud thinking?

I'll answer.. cool smiley
No, if you YOURSELF said a new double album will be released tomorrow it wouldn't be NEWS.
People unfamiliar would do a quick scan of your posts to see if you are an insider that has had reliable info in the past etc., and quickly see you couldn't even figure out how to utilize the Lucky Dip links in a different thread.

Sure, it's mainly wishful out loud thinking.
Backed by some pretty solid circumstantial evidence, even before bv's post. Cheers.

Date: June 5, 2019 17:34

Big Al
I predict a single-release to coincide with tour-start, or just after. A couple of new tracks that’ll be released for iTunes and streaming. Perhaps there will be limited edition vinyl release, too. I don’t suspect we’ll get more then this for now.

I also believe this to be correct (hopefully), but time will tell.

If they have at least one new song, that will silence most of the questions (and critics) regarding lack of new material, resting on their laurels, etc.
If no new material whatsoever, expect many reviews focusing on the nostalgia aspect of the Stones - something I'm sure is cringeworthy to the band - especially Mick.

While I don't exactly expect (or demand) any new material, I certainly hope so for both the fans and the bands sake!

JUST ONE NEW SONG PLEASE - THAT'S ALL - IF NOT OH WELL - KEEP ON ROLLING!!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 5, 2019 18:18

Let´s see if we can fill 500 pages til opening night based on vague statements and "insider informations".

The day after opening night we all will be a lot smarter:
- No new song(s) played
- no new song(s) released

imo, of course.

They released four(!) new albums and a couple of songs in 30(!) years. These albums were subpar compared to their output til 1986. So how in the world can anybody believe that they are having 20 killer songs??? They must have been fallen out of the clear blue sky then... Mick released a single (Get/England) that came from recording sessions that resulted in nothing. This single was (imo) the most horrible thing Mick ever released, worse than Let´s Work to tell the truth. Keith even refused to participate in what sholuld have been a Stones-single because he knew it was crap and crap only.

They have nothing but 20 sketches a la Western Grip and sometimes one or two band members play around with it for a few hours without coming to any result.

And if they had something it would be an album no better than the four albums we got in 30(!) years. Subpar, average, a unnecessary coda in their body of work. The Stones today are living legends presenting their most legendary songs live. That´s all (and yet more than anyone expected 20 years ago). Their creativity is long long gone and they are the first to know.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 6, 2019 05:04

HMS
And if they had something it would be an album no better than the four albums we got in 30(!) years. Subpar, average, a unnecessary coda in their body of work.

I just don't get this. I would think a lot of the people on IORR would be looking forward to any new music from the band we think enough of to either browse or post on a website dedicated to them. New material is something I look forward to. I can't believe that I (knock on wood) have a Stones show in my future. That is awesome. The prospect of a new song or new studio album in our future excites me. I don't want the concept of The Rolling Stones to be something that was in the past tense. For now it is not. Does that not blow your mind?

People on here complain about setlists full of warhorses but don't like anything if it came after that particular IORR member's "salad years" with the band. This bell curve coincides with late teens/early twenties (give me your age and I'll predict your favorite album). In your case it is 1986. For most other people it is 1981 or 1973-4 or whatever. I get it. 1994 was my year (I don't quite get 1986, but to each their own; DW has its moments). But let's look forward to what we have, because in 10 years it'll all be history. Some of you may then begin to appreciate some of their latter day achievements if you're not senile, deaf, or dead.

The diversity of opinions that I've seen expressed on here about every subject under the sun astounds me considering we have this one thing in common. It's very weird, but I guess it has to do with the fact that this band is international and spans generations. Even when we are talking about a pretty narrow subject (Rolling Stones), half the time, I'm like, "WTF?".

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: June 6, 2019 06:45

Don Was is currently in Australia for bluenote
He told my mate
No Stones new album before Xmas
Working on loads of new songs but NOT ONE is finished
He didn’t t want to overhype but said what they have been working on is great
This chat has been captured on a video which is on an Australian Rolling Stones FB page
I’m unsure how to save it and share here

His post word for word is :

So excited to meet and chat to Don Was, who has produced The Rolling Stones albums and reworked albums for some 20 years. He didn’t think the new album would make it out this Christmas. Said he didn’t like to talk things up but he reckons this will be a great album. They have recorded loads of tracks but yet not one is actually finished yet. Blue and Lonesome inspired them to raise the bar. Will post some video of him talking to a group of record company people. A great guy out here to celebrate the 80th birthday of Blue Note.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 6, 2019 08:13

Sipuncula
HMS
And if they had something it would be an album no better than the four albums we got in 30(!) years. Subpar, average, a unnecessary coda in their body of work.

I just don't get this. I would think a lot of the people on IORR would be looking forward to any new music from the band we think enough of to either browse or post on a website dedicated to them. New material is something I look forward to. I can't believe that I (knock on wood) have a Stones show in my future. That is awesome. The prospect of a new song or new studio album in our future excites me. I don't want the concept of The Rolling Stones to be something that was in the past tense. For now it is not. Does that not blow your mind?

People on here complain about setlists full of warhorses but don't like anything if it came after that particular IORR member's "salad years" with the band. This bell curve coincides with late teens/early twenties (give me your age and I'll predict your favorite album). In your case it is 1986. For most other people it is 1981 or 1973-4 or whatever. I get it. 1994 was my year (I don't quite get 1986, but to each their own; DW has its moments). But let's look forward to what we have, because in 10 years it'll all be history. Some of you may then begin to appreciate some of their latter day achievements if you're not senile, deaf, or dead.

The diversity of opinions that I've seen expressed on here about every subject under the sun astounds me considering we have this one thing in common. It's very weird, but I guess it has to do with the fact that this band is international and spans generations. Even when we are talking about a pretty narrow subject (Rolling Stones), half the time, I'm like, "WTF?".
I enjoyed your post but then I’m still breathing; hundreds of thousands of Stones fans didn’t live long enough to hear Voodoo Lounge or even Dirty Work (and dare I say they’re resting more peacefully for it.)

As close as Mick and Keith were in the 60s/early 70s they’re hardly fans of each other today. But they still plug in their guitars and hair and hop on stage to charge us dearly for that ‘Rolling Stones’ act. And that’s fine. Many of us want to relive our youth through their music…And then there’s the 19 y/o wishing his departed mother happy birthday on YouTube, remembering that she used to sing the chorus of ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ right into his face. For me that’s very poignant. When you shuffle off this mortal coil what song from Voodoo Lounge will your children remember you by? Forgive me but surely you can acknowledge that the Stones haven’t made meaningful music for decades (or does that make you say ‘WTF?). Most of us remain fans anyways. However, we gather here each day to worship the dead…and bitch about the living…so to speak.

I have to say I share HMS’ view regarding the prospects of any new release (it’s truly a rare day that I regard HMS as the voice of reason here but album chasers like Ian Billen are just wacky) but it would certainly be nice to hear some Open G & Jagger.

Date: June 6, 2019 10:04

Hairball
Big Al

I also believe this to be correct (hopefully), but time will tell.

If they have at least one new song, that will silence most of the questions (and critics) regarding lack of new material, resting on their laurels, etc.
If no new material whatsoever, expect many reviews focusing on the nostalgia aspect of the Stones - something I'm sure is cringeworthy to the band - especially Mick.

While I don't exactly expect (or demand) any new material, I certainly hope so for both the fans and the bands sake!

JUST ONE NEW SONG PLEASE - THAT'S ALL - IF NOT OH WELL - KEEP ON ROLLING!!!

I admire your positive hope ...

While your thoughts are always realistic .. I jus gotta say .. I'm doubting it on this one.

Here is one for you .. do you think Mick & Keith (and the band may 'potentially' dabble / work a tad on writing or working up new stuff on the tour?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-06 10:05 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...339340341342343344345346347348349...LastNext
Current Page: 344 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home