Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...333334335336337338339340341342343...LastNext
Current Page: 338 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2019 02:56

IanBillen
Rokyfan
IanBillen
Perhaps Universal finally said .. ok boys .. let's go .. get to it.

Maybe in so many words they figured The Stones have had enough breaks .. ya-all do everything else .. get to that album you guys took out a contract with us for (in so many kind official words channeling down the pipeline to them).

I would bet that is the real reason they got right back to it (even this close right before a tour).

So you think the young suits at Universal have laid down the law?

I think the Stones do what they want, period. And their lawyers are smart enough so that it is reflected in any contract with Universal. They will do what they want when they want. That's just my guess.

I'd like to be in the room when keith is told "you guys have had enough breaks."

Well that's not exactly what I meant .. I don't think they 'laid down the law' .. so much. I don't think they said 'get working on it or we are going to cancel or sue'. I simply think they started to funnel some word down the pipeline on requesting status updates .. material ... etc. In other words.. they probably eloquently sent requests or inquiries to put a little pressure on The Stones in an eloquent way is what I think happened. The execs probably figured .. at this age anything can happen .. Mick just had heart surgery ... let's start this ball rolling sooner better than later. I think The Stones 'took the hint' is how the situation went down if it to be the case.

That would make the most sense if it is the case based on who they are, their situation ... etc (which is a sort of special situation .. but I think Universal said .. look .. special time is over .. so then .. what's the latest on this album fellas? .. and guess what .. I don't blame them. Certainly glad someone did!

Yeah, I am sure, The guy had just a heart procedure. And the next thing the record company will do is: 'You! Do that album before you die!'

The Rolling Stones is not any normal band or artist being any servant of any record company or fanbase having whatever expectations. You try that career of 57 years, win and define everything is needed and more, what is to be a 'band' or an 'artist' in this professional business of heavy weights, and then teach your daddy how to @#$%&.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 02:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 24, 2019 03:10

It's possible Universal didn't 'lay down the law' but just stopped cutting them advance checks. It's a corporation, not a bunch of mobsters. They won't pay if they don't get a product, even if Keith glares at them.
Since we're all speculating here.
I'm afraid that Mick has an album ready to go, but Keith is unwilling or unable to 'color' those songs.
Again, since this is mostly speculation.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2019 03:26

Spud

...I do agree with Matxil in lamenting that fact that Keith hasn't made more solo albums.

Same here, in fact my very first post on page one in this never ending thread dating back to Dec '16 was:

"Hoping for another Keith solo album. thumbs up "

Over three and a half years later, no new Keith solo and no new Stones album - just a couple of crappy throwaway Mick singles and HONK...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 24, 2019 03:50

One thing for sure....it will be billed as the best thing since “Exile”

Date: May 24, 2019 03:58

All of this talk about "obligatory record contracts" belongs to the vocabulary of last century. UMG very well knows that The Stones can do more by playing just one bloody concert than any new record will ever do. That's why their re-newed deal (done last year) with the Stones contains much more than a normal record deal (such as merchandise, the rights for the logo, etc.). Part of the deal is that UMG takes care some of the Stones storage, etc. It seemingly is a pretty good deal for the both participiants, as far as I know.

All that talk about the Stones "owing" some album of originals to UMG, or that UMG had now some kind of (justified) pressure on them due to that, is simply bullshit. Surely, there are most likely some high profile products the Stones are obliged to provide during their (next) ten year contract - HONK was first - but that of them providing an album of originals this year, or next year, or the one after that, or ever, is simply up to them. If they, the Stones, feel like it. But no one can do anything about it. Any record record company is not any longer in position to dictate that. Jagger can consult them, for sure (as he did with BLUE & LONESOME, for example), and most likely his ambitions in commercial sense cohere with the ones of UMG (they don't want to release any neilyoung-level product that does nothing). But they (UMG) can only hope for the best, give their best consultation, but not dictate anything.

Commercially speaking, the upcoming Stones album is much more important for Universal than for the Stones. Businesswise The Stones are doing better than ever, record companies not. And all of them are awere of that. We don't need any Donald Trump to tell what does it mean.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 04:13 by Doxa.

Date: May 24, 2019 04:20

No idea what the contract states.
All I'm saying is that the Stones do what their corporate partners contract them for. Maybe they want a record to create some buzz to promote other products, maybe not.

Date: May 24, 2019 04:37

wonderboy
No idea what the contract states.
All I'm saying is that the Stones do what their corporate partners contract them for. Maybe they want a record to create some buzz to promote other products, maybe not.

The only product that matters (in terms of big and real $$$) is their concerts. And they don't need any albums to promote them.

- Doxa

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2019 04:44

Would be nice if Ronnie would release another solo album.
If not originals, I imagine he could put together a great blues covers album - "I've Got My Own Blues Covers Album To Do" - he could even include some guest vocalists and other guitar players.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 24, 2019 04:44

Doxa
IanBillen
Rokyfan
IanBillen

Maybe in so many words they figured The Stones have had enough breaks .. ya-all do everything else .. get to that album you guys took out a contract with us for (in so many kind official words channeling down the pipeline to them).

I would bet that is the real reason they got right back to it (even this close right before a tour).

I think the Stones do what they want, period. And their lawyers are smart enough so that it is reflected in any contract with Universal. They will do what they want when they want. That's just my guess.

I'd like to be in the room when keith is told "you guys have had enough breaks."

Well that's not exactly what I meant .. I don't think they 'laid down the law' .. so much. I don't think they said 'get working on it or we are going to cancel or sue'. I simply think they started to funnel some word down the pipeline on requesting status updates .. material ... etc. In other words.. they probably eloquently sent requests or inquiries to put a little pressure on The Stones in an eloquent way is what I think happened. The execs probably figured .. at this age anything can happen .. Mick just had heart surgery ... let's start this ball rolling sooner better than later. I think The Stones 'took the hint' is how the situation went down if it to be the case.

That would make the most sense if it is the case based on who they are, their situation ... etc (which is a sort of special situation .. but I think Universal said .. look .. special time is over .. so then .. what's the latest on this album fellas? .. and guess what .. I don't blame them. Certainly glad someone did!

Yeah, I am sure, The guy had just a heart procedure. And the next thing the record company will do is: 'You! Do that album before you die!'

The Rolling Stones is not any normal band or artist being any servant of any record company or fanbase having whatever expectations. You try that career of 57 years, win and define everything is needed and more, what is to be a 'band' or an 'artist' in this professional business of heavy weights, and then teach your daddy how to @#$%&.

- Doxa

Right .. and the guy is going on a stadium tour .. In their (the record companies) eyes .. If he is well enough to go on yet another stadium tour .. he is well enough to deliver the album. They get no kickback from the tour .. so they are being left hanging and I think they are getting tired of it (w/o being like Uncle Vinny).

A record company is a business .. They have a contract for some millions based on this album ... Doesn't matter what they done in the past .. what truly matters to them is the bottom line. If we are tired of not enough progress on the album ... I KNOW they are tired of it. They have muuucho dollars invested in it.

Try getting a record contract and passing off year after year with no product. See how that goes for ya ... Whether you are The Rolling Stones or not .. there comes a point and time when people want paid and a product they hired lawyers to draw up a multi-million dollar contract for. The Stones get slack .. but everything has limits .. I think that is where we are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 04:47 by IanBillen.

Date: May 24, 2019 04:52

Doxa
All of this talk about "obligatory record contracts" belongs to the vocabulary of last century. UMG very well knows that The Stones can do more by playing just one bloody concert than any new record will ever do. That's why their re-newed deal (done last year) with the Stones contains much more than a normal record deal (such as merchandise, the rights for the logo, etc.). Part of the deal is that UMG takes care some of the Stones storage, etc. It seemingly is a pretty good deal for the both participiants, as far as I know.

All that talk about the Stones "owing" some album of originals to UMG, or that UMG had now some kind of (justified) pressure on them due to that, is simply bullshit. Surely, there are most likely some high profile products the Stones are obliged to provide during their (next) ten year contract - HONK was first - but that of them providing an album of originals this year, or next year, or the one after that, or ever, is simply up to them. If they, the Stones, feel like it. But no one can do anything about it. Any record record company is not any longer in position to dictate that. Jagger can consult them, for sure (as he did with BLUE & LONESOME, for example), and most likely his ambitions in commercial sense cohere with the ones of UMG (they don't want to release any neilyoung-level product that does nothing). But they (UMG) can only hope for the best, give their best consultation, but not dictate anything.

Commercially speaking, the upcoming Stones album is much more important for Universal than for the Stones. Businesswise The Stones are doing better than ever, record companies not. And all of them are awere of that. We don't need any Donald Trump to tell what does it mean.

- Doxa

It was the record companies idea to put Blue & Lonesome out, brother .. (that is coming straight from Jaggers mouth). They wanted that album out and they chose it to be released at Christmas. The record company dictated the release of Blue & Lonesome and the date of it's release... Those are Mick Jagger's words .. not mine. Hope that is enough proof for you in relation to how much they actually 'can' dictate (even to The Stones).

They have more weight than you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 04:55 by IanBillen.

Date: May 24, 2019 05:18

IanBillen
Doxa
IanBillen
Rokyfan
IanBillen

- Doxa

Right .. and the guy is going on a stadium tour .. In their (the record companies) eyes .. If he is well enough to go on yet another stadium tour .. he is well enough to deliver the album. They get no kickback from the tour .. so they are being left hanging and I think they are getting tired of it (w/o being like Uncle Vinny).

A record company is a business .. They have a contract for some millions based on this album ... Doesn't matter what they done in the past .. what truly matters to them is the bottom line. If we are tired of not enough progress on the album ... I KNOW they are tired of it. They have muuucho dollars invested in it.

Try getting a record contract and passing off year after year with no product. See how that goes for ya ... Whether you are The Rolling Stones or not .. there comes a point and time when people want paid and a product they hired lawyers to draw up.

Sorry but I don't believe anything of what you say; it might apply to some band in Pittsbourg but not for the Stones. All of this talk about 'contract obligatory new album of originals' (been here for years) is just a fanboy talk, based on non-facts, but on false and wishfull interpretations of their record deals (based on past). There is no "record contract for some millions based on this album" - I don't know from where that myth derived from. The same goes for those supposed investments by UMG. But there is a (yet another) deal of ten years with UMG (renewed last year), which involves much more and is much bigger than that. Believe me or not, but The Rolling Stones, with that catologue and brand, is not a 'normal band' when you go to make deals with distributors/record companies.

All I can understand with this "they owe an album, they are obliged to do it due to the contract" etc. is that it is just projection from personal needs/wishes going too far. Like: they need to do it, because I want to them to do that, and I need some outer justification for that. No, there is not one. It is just up to them. There is no law, there is no contract, there is nothing to force them to do it. If they call it quits tomorrow, no one can do anything. And they won't be owing anything to anyone.

I really can't understand why it is so hard to understand or accept. Why not just enjoy that they are up to it for the sake of its own. Because they want to do it.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 05:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 24, 2019 05:35

thumbs up

Hairball

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 05:41 by mpj200.

Date: May 24, 2019 05:37

Doxa
IanBillen
Doxa
IanBillen
Rokyfan
IanBillen

- Doxa

Try getting a record contract and passing off year after year with no product. See how that goes for ya ... Whether you are The Rolling Stones or not .. there comes a point and time when people want paid and a product they hired lawyers to draw up.

Sorry but I don't believe anything of what you say; it might apply to some band in Pittsbourg but not for the Stones. All of this talk about 'contract obligatory new album of originals' (been here for years) is just a fanboy talk, based on non-facts, but on false and wishfull interpretations of their record deals (based on past). There is no "record contract for some millions based on this album" - I don't know from where that myth derived from. The same goes for those supposed investments by UMG. But there is a (yet another) deal of ten years with UMG, which involves much more and is much bigger than that. Believe me, The Rolling Stones is not a 'normal band' when you go to make deals with distributors/record companies.

All I can understand with this "they owe an album, they are obliged to do it due to the contract" etc. is that it is just projection from personal needs/wishes going too far. Like: they need to do it, because I want to them to do that, and I need some outer justification for that. No, there is not one. It is just up to them. There is no law, there is no contract, there is nothing to force them to do it. If they call it quits tomorrow, no one can do anything. And they won't be owing anything to anyone.

I really can't understand why it is so hard to understand or accept. Why not just enjoy that they are up to it for the sake of its own. Because they want to do it.

- Doxa

I am very happy The Stones are even alive and able to perform. That in itself is a miracle ..

I realize they have more slack and are sort of a special situation (they ARE The Rolling Stones .. and look at what they have done .. and look at their age).

However The Record company has the final say on said album .. as to whether it goes out. The Stones have more wiggle room than perhaps any other artist alive .. but that wiggle room has been used in their eyes IMO.

*As I understood it they negotiated a specific addition a few years ago to their already existing contract with UMG from their lucrative 2008 deal with them for delivering this 'specific album'? Can Georgelicks or anyone confirm this?

This album has it's own sub-contract / addition and was negotiated two years ago for at least two million dollars. The other three studio albums have been fufilled. I didn't create this idea .. I found it here.

By The Way .. Mick Jagger said Universal was skeptical about their ever delivering an actual album and he noted he didn't blame them (in reference to Blue & Lonesome and is partially why Universal chose to put it out). Then they negotiated an additional contract to their already existing deal just for this record under the agreement The Stones would deliver an all new studio album of originals. This is how I understood it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 05:44 by IanBillen.

Date: May 24, 2019 07:07

Why does UMG, merely a distributor in this case, have the final say?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 24, 2019 07:43

Hairball
Would be nice if Ronnie would release another solo album.

Yep, that's a line I can subscribe to. thumbs up Pity he doesn't/didn't. Ronnie's solo albums stood the test of time remarkably well, in my view. Maybe he finds more joy in painting these days.

As for UMG and The Contract, didn't georgelicks say a while ago something like there's no time pressure, if they deliver a new album it's fine, if they don't it's fine as well? Dunno how the 2 million quid advance fits in the picture but I guess that whatever the present arrangement is, UMG made sure they won't lose money and Mick made sure the Stones won't lose money.

Date: May 24, 2019 09:11

DandelionPowderman

they are paying for it and going to market it.

In an Interview I saw Mick said the record company wanted to put out Blue & Lonesome because they were not convinced the new album of originals would be ready
any time soon (and in Micks words .. he said 'I don't blame them'). They told him they wanted to put the blues album out around Christmas so they did.

They then made The Stones take out another contract for a brand new all original album. They tacked it on to their original 2008 deal with the company.

All that was two years ago. So I know they are getting anxious.

I don't want to sound as if UMG are controlling The Stones .. and are calling all the shots. Im not. Im simply saying Im sure they mildly influence their recording endeavors ..and more so at this point and time since it's been so long with nothing new and due to the fact is they have a certain part / addition for this very album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 09:16 by IanBillen.

Date: May 24, 2019 09:52

IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

they are paying for it and going to market it.

In an Interview I saw Mick said the record company wanted to put out Blue & Lonesome because they were not convinced the new album of originals would be ready
any time soon (and in Micks words .. he said 'I don't blame them'). They told him they wanted to put the blues album out around Christmas so they did.

They then made The Stones take out another contract for a brand new all original album. They tacked it on to their original 2008 deal with the company.

All that was two years ago. So I know they are getting anxious.

I don't want to sound as if UMG are controlling The Stones .. and are calling all the shots. Im not. Im simply saying Im sure they mildly influence their recording endeavors ..and more so at this point and time since it's been so long with nothing new and due to the fact is they have a certain part / addition for this very album.

But the contract is with RS Records/Polydor and is about distributing the record, isn't it? I haven't seen anything about who pays for the social media and the billboards.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 24, 2019 10:21

Regardless of who's paying for what ...the only cost until it's done is for the studio time and associated overheads.

Hardly a fortune in Rolling Stones or major record label terms.

So unless the Stones at some point had a huge advance for this long awaited record ...the only issue for the label is a longer wait for the sales revenue and any profits they may be hoping to make from it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 24, 2019 11:30

We will probably hear something next month about it from the band...
Jeroen

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2019 12:08

“The legend that is @ronniewood having a play about on his guitar with our Fender deluxe reverb amp"

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 24, 2019 12:25

Good,busy for the new album??
Great news.
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 24, 2019 14:15

IanBillen

Where exactly was that interview? Link and some non-paraphrased quotes perhaps?

Date: May 24, 2019 15:39

bye bye johnny
IanBillen

Where exactly was that interview? Link and some non-paraphrased quotes perhaps?

Sure. Was on youtube from a on camera interview. Ill find it later on tonight.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:33

I said to the record company - which is, let's face it, they're not blues people, I mean they're very nice people and some I know very well - that: What we've made is a blues album but what do we do with it because we're in the middle of making a new album? Was it marketable as a separate album? Or would you like to wait till the new album is finished and put it out with it? So that you've got like 12 new things and you've got 12 blues things, which is kind of a nice package. I mean, you've got a lot of stuff suddenly. That would have been interesting. And I said, You think about that, you're the ones that are going to market it. Which way would you want to go? Cause I'm interested to see how you can (laughs) possibly market this blues album? Come on. Which traditionally is not going to interest any one - it's very niche. There's nothing wrong with it. But who's going to hear it? Is anyone going to go on Spotify and play this blues album? No one's going to listen to it. That to me is part of it, you know. You want to make a record but you want people to hear it, don't you? It's not supposed to just be for your family! That's nice, Dad... Probably the record company said, Well, the other (album)'s never gonna come - we might as well put this one out. I don't blame 'em. I probably would have done the same thing. 'Cause: Now I got something, might as well put it out.
- Mick Jagger, October 2016, on deciding to release the album
[timeisonourside.com]

See how he said what he said? However, he's no dummy.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:36

Possibly that quote by Mick Jagger is the smartest thing anyone (yes yes, including myself) has said in all 338 pages of this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 18:36 by matxil.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2019 18:48

We have some time yet to see if the new record is never gonna come out.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 24, 2019 21:31

If ticket sales aren't so hot right now for the rescheduled dates (Burl's Creek, for instance, was mentioned in the sticky thread), then...

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised at this point that the Stones may fast-track some production on one or two of these songs that are supposedly almost finished and release it in time for the tour.

It might sell a few more tickets. Hell look at this thread-- 750K views and 10K posts!. Does anyone have a list of the all time most popular IORR threads? Of course the majority of us on IORR aren't on the fence one way or the other about buying a ticket. We're...different than the other folks.

Date: May 24, 2019 22:16

The Mick quote confirms my belief that he does what his employers tell him. And since they are both making decisions based on money there isn't much difference between them.
There's no sense in that quote that Mick has any burning desire to release new material even though, well, that's what artists do. They put their art out there.
The frustrating thing is that Mick doesn't take their work seriously anymore. He doesn't even take their past work seriously. Acting like he doesn't remember which songs were on which album or declining to perform great songs because the mass audience only wants warhorses (or so he thinks).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 24, 2019 23:57

Mick is right about mass audiences and warhorses.
It´s the only way to fill arenas & stadiums.

And the usual crowd at the concerts does not care for new songs/albums, they yawn every time a new song is performed.
So what is a new album good for, Mick probably is asking himself.

Date: May 25, 2019 00:42

GasLightStreet
I said to the record company - which is, let's face it, they're not blues people, I mean they're very nice people and some I know very well - that: What we've made is a blues album but what do we do with it because we're in the middle of making a new album? Was it marketable as a separate album? Or would you like to wait till the new album is finished and put it out with it? So that you've got like 12 new things and you've got 12 blues things, which is kind of a nice package. I mean, you've got a lot of stuff suddenly. That would have been interesting. And I said, You think about that, you're the ones that are going to market it. Which way would you want to go? Cause I'm interested to see how you can (laughs) possibly market this blues album? Come on. Which traditionally is not going to interest any one - it's very niche. There's nothing wrong with it. But who's going to hear it? Is anyone going to go on Spotify and play this blues album? No one's going to listen to it. That to me is part of it, you know. You want to make a record but you want people to hear it, don't you? It's not supposed to just be for your family! That's nice, Dad... Probably the record company said, Well, the other (album)'s never gonna come - we might as well put this one out. I don't blame 'em. I probably would have done the same thing. 'Cause: Now I got something, might as well put it out.
- Mick Jagger, October 2016, on deciding to release the album
[timeisonourside.com]

See how he said what he said? However, he's no dummy.

Thanks .. As well there is one interview in which I saw him say 'the record company said ... well we'd like to put it out for Christmas' .. .. in reference to Blue & Lonesome .. (they chose the release time).

The pieces are not that terribly hard to put together.

UMG wants an album ..They made the Stones place a new album contract just for this record a couple years ago (most likely due to the fact that they wanted it official in that The Stones were going to actually deliver one).

Suddenly supposedly The Stones want to get the record out as soon as they can. Remarks from Mick himself about the record company wanting a record dating back three years ago. A new contract on this particular record for them ensuring that from two years ago. The Stones suddenly .. at the most inopportune time want to get it done .. even if it means working on it right before a tour?

Look .... Something sure suddenly happened to start a fire underneath them on this record. Seems Universal is wanting their album .. At least that's more of a safe bet than not.

As Jagger himself said three long years ago about this very situation / album ... 'I don't blame them' Lol.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 01:01 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...333334335336337338339340341342343...LastNext
Current Page: 338 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home