Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...330331332333334335336337338339340...LastNext
Current Page: 335 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 21, 2019 21:23

I said it before, but it bears repeating, who on earth would 'buy' Honk? Older people (the ones who still buy physical product) probably already have several Stones hit compilations, younger people who want to hear the Stones just stream it on Spotify, Youtube etc.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2019 21:55

Doxa
jlowe
Are HONK and HOT ROCKS actually competing with each other?
Both are distributed by Universal.
Only difference is one is 'owned' by the Band..the other by the Klein family.
Would be interesting to know if the percentages (profit) for the record company are comparable.

Yeah, from the point of view of Universal it is just a friendly competition, since distributing both. One could even say that it is a win-win situation for UMG to have two different compilations to cover two different eras instead of just one compilation covering the whole history. They have two strong, steady-selling products to distribute now instead of one.

Which makes me wonder the deal and function of FORTY LICKS and GRRR. They sound like being a season products, taking the advantage of good sales within a rather short period (which always a new, strongly promoted product causes). Seemingly this suits both to ABKCO and Promotone (Stones). But when the sales are reducing to a 'normal' steady level I wonder if it would busineswise make more sense, for example, to ABKCO to sell that solely in terms of HOT ROCKS than having half of some joint product. Promotone probably calculates alike. They are able to update their own compilation (MADE IN THE SHADE/REWIND/JUMP BACK/HONK), and thereby gaining from the hype over 'new' product, while ABKCO is stuck with HOT ROCKS.

Just speculating...

- Doxa

while they may be 'stuck' with Hot Rocks...it's a pretty good album to be stuck with...their biggest seller of all time, and the continuously best seller. Can't believe it's still top 200.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 21, 2019 22:31

peoplewitheyes
I said it before, but it bears repeating, who on earth would 'buy' Honk? Older people (the ones who still buy physical product) probably already have several Stones hit compilations, younger people who want to hear the Stones just stream it on Spotify, Youtube etc.

Well,i did not. Lend it from the library and returned it 2 days later. Did not even like cd3.
Glad i skipped it.
Jeroen

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 21, 2019 23:23

Ticket prices for big artists are huge because that’s where the money comes from. If the stones were making millions in sales off of new recordings they’d release more albums and often. The reason there is no rush by them to complete an album is because there ain’t no money in it. We can all get the product but if we are not buying it, why would they produce it. I can’t blame them and would do the same. I’m a sucker. I still buy it. Been a collector since 11 years old in 1973. I will continue to buy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 22, 2019 00:31

Bashlets
Ticket prices for big artists are huge because that’s where the money comes from. If the stones were making millions in sales off of new recordings they’d release more albums and often. The reason there is no rush by them to complete an album is because there ain’t no money in it. We can all get the product but if we are not buying it, why would they produce it. I can’t blame them and would do the same. I’m a sucker. I still buy it. Been a collector since 11 years old in 1973. I will continue to buy.

I buy it too, I want hard copy back up. Only for The Rolling Stones -

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 22, 2019 00:49

ive lost interest in this whole new album debate.

i love the stones, both as artists and people, but all this talk, for years about a new album really pi@@es me off, no one else does it, other bands say nothing until they are well on in the construction of an album, then when they think they know when it can be released they give a date, with the stones its tease tease tease, then nothing, they should be honest, just come out and say there is no new album, until they know otherwise, its all become so boring.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:14

Yes buttons67, it's all very annoying.

Meanwhile, Neil Young is set to release another new album soon with Crazy Horse, followed by a tour.
Whether his albums sell or not doesn't seem to matter to him - he's a creative artist who is willing to take risks and put out as much as he possibly can.
It's not for the money or to enhance his legacy - it's because that's what he does as a creative, living artist, and for the enjoyment of his fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 01:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:18

Bashlets

When is enough money enough? These guys (the Stones) are worth hundreds of millions of dollars EACH. At this point what do they even do with that much $$? Invest it and make more $$, then invest it again. It's insanity.

Too much $$ in the hands of too few in this world.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:30

So give me all your money
Give me all your gold
I'll buy you a house at Zuma beach
I'll give you half of what I own

……………………..…………………………………. Some Girls-Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:33

Rockman
Give me all your gold

My woman need a new dress/my daughter got to go to school.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:44

peoplewitheyes

I guess people who bought it as a gift to an older relative and thought it was a new album or didnt care if it was. Well it's got new content (live tracks) so it's not a total waste. Maybe grandpa likes the Florence Welch duet, who knows.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 22, 2019 01:54

wonderboy
Rockman
Give me all your gold

My woman need a new dress/my daughter got to go to school.

Sending a letter
(...)
I need some money
Send it to me ... grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2019 02:18

Your love give me such a thrill
But your love won't pay my bills

YOU know the rest …………..

……………………..…….. Money - Berry Gordy Jr. & Janie Bradford

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2019 02:50

‘Maybe grandpa likes the Florence Welch duet, who knows.’ LOL
I thought I was harsh on ‘guests’ *cough Dave Grohl AGAIN? Why???

Anyway, this article from Rolling Stone Magazine says AEG is mining fans personal data and then sending a text during a show of theirs you are attending for a discount on merchandise.
It’s their ‘personal’ touch (barf)
[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 22, 2019 03:28

As for HONK! I complained about it before trying it
and then I spun it
and it’s quite fun.
Songs you do not normally go to or think you already know everything
can be a pleasant surprise.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 22, 2019 05:43

Hairball
Yes buttons67, it's all very annoying.

Meanwhile, Neil Young is set to release another new album soon with Crazy Horse, followed by a tour.
Whether his albums sell or not doesn't seem to matter to him - he's a creative artist who is willing to take risks and put out as much as he possibly can.
It's not for the money or to enhance his legacy - it's because that's what he does as a creative, living artist, and for the enjoyment of his fans.

THAAAAANK YOU Hairball!! smiling smiley I'm not addressing you here Hairball (you have been on-board with me about the status and their effort on album for the most part all through) .. and as well I'm not one to be much of an 'told ya' .. However I will say this ... my three main points about this album are not only not being disagreed with anymore ... folks are are duplicating the exact thoughts so many said I was being too harsh on the Stones about a year or two back.

1. If they still consider and proclaim themselves as 'artists' (which they do) and not mere entertainers act or a pure nostalgia outfit then I expect new music ... and a new album .. whether they are 75 or 25 (that goes with the title and the gig folks ..).

2. Family time .. resting ... blah blah blah .. (ummm yeah ok right?) they have enough of that in spades .. Gimme a break -

3. They tease a lot and mention it frequently .. So what's the story?? Neil Young and these other acts DO it .. they don't friggin tease about their first album in 14 long years over and over. The write .. record .. and put them out!

No The Stones don't 'owe' me anything ..and they don't personally 'owe' Ian Billen an album .. but guess what .. I EXPECT one. I have every right (and guess what ... so do all of you ..). Glad many are finally seeing things they way I saw em for about two years now and glad so many quit cutting them all that crazy slack they really didn't deserve.

Ian

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 12:16 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2019 07:47

Yes Ian I hear ya, but at this point I'm just grateful Mick has recovered and the Stones are about to come back to the States. No new album, no big deal...you sort of get used to it after 15 years DAMMIT! lol
But as buttons67 stated, they should really stop talking about it as it's deceiving and gives fans false hope - hence the reason this thread still exists. Action speakers louder than words, talk is cheap, etc., etc., etc.
They're like the boy who cried wolf, and it's impossible to believe anything they say about the new album these days. So Mick tweets a quick snippet of him playing guitar with the caption "working on new music".
Great to see a healthy Mick back in action, but in reality it's all pretty much meaningless. Next studio time scheduled in Nov/Dec at the end of the year...yawn...

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 22, 2019 08:47

buttons67

i love the stones, both as artists and people, but all this talk, for years about a new album really pi@@es me off, no one else does it, other bands say nothing until they are well on in the construction of an album, then when they think they know when it can be released they give a date, with the stones its tease tease tease, then nothing, they should be honest, just come out and say there is no new album, until they know otherwise, its all become so boring.

The new album - if and when it comes out - will likely be boring as hell. Any album that takes 3+ years to record has got to suck. I'd rather they release some more live recordings from the past. They are out of ideas and treading water and at this point they no longer care about producing something creative or interesting. They are just a nostalgic act, pure and simple.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 16:02 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2019 08:54

Can you bet on this at Ladbrokes? What would the odds be? 1/500?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 22, 2019 12:19

Hairball
Yes Ian I hear ya, but at this point I'm just grateful Mick has recovered and the Stones are about to come back to the States. No new album, no big deal...you sort of get used to it after 15 years DAMMIT! lol
But as buttons67 stated, they should really stop talking about it as it's deceiving and gives fans false hope - hence the reason this thread still exists. Action speakers louder than words, talk is cheap, etc., etc., etc.
They're like the boy who cried wolf, and it's impossible to believe anything they say about the new album these days. So Mick tweets a quick snippet of him playing guitar with the caption "working on new music".
Great to see a healthy Mick back in action, but in reality it's all pretty much meaningless. Next studio time scheduled in Nov/Dec at the end of the year...yawn...

I agree. I just wished the best for Micks health over the last six weeks or so (truly). I didn't even consider or think about the album much (whether it Mick Jagger .. you ...or I or anyone .. good health was my only concern for him).

However with all that mostly behind ... There is no need to put out teasers now? I'd wait until next year .. I mean hell .. we aren't getting it until next year anyway Lol

Rock On, Sa!

Date: May 22, 2019 14:36

peoplewitheyes

I don't like the idea of re-buying the same stuff but,to answer your question,Disc 3 live tracks lossless.

You can buy the live tracks lossless non-physical on Qobuz but,"Bitch" live and "Beast of Burden" live are only available lossless if you buy the full album.

It's a set-up but,that's the way it is.

Date: May 22, 2019 14:48

Winning Ugly VXII
peoplewitheyes

I don't like the idea of re-buying the same stuff but,to answer your question,Disc 3 live tracks lossless.

You can buy the live tracks lossless non-physical on Qobuz but,"Bitch" live and "Beast of Burden" live are only available lossless if you buy the full album.

It's a set-up but,that's the way it is.

Imo those 2 songs are the least interesting, if at all.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 14:48 by runrudolph.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 22, 2019 14:56

IanBillen

1. If they still consider and proclaim themselves as 'artists' [bla bla bla] ***

2. Family time .. resting ... blah blah blah .. (ummm yeah ok right?) they have enough of that in spades .. Gimme a break -

3. They tease a lot and mention it frequently .. So what's the story?? ***

No The Stones don't 'owe' me anything ..and they don't personally 'owe' Ian Billen an album .. but guess what .. I EXPECT one. I have every right . . .

cutting them all that crazy slack they really didn't deserve. . .

Ian

you sound like a spoiled whining baby

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2019 15:41

TornAndFried
buttons67

The new album - if and when it comes out - will likely be boring as hell. Any album that takes 3+ years to record has got to suck. I'd rather they release some more live recordings from the past. They are out of ideas and treading water and don't really care about doing something creative or interesting. At this point they are a nostalgic act, pure and simple.

At this point they are a nostalgic act? HA! "This point" started in 2012, although one could go back to the BANG tour, the latter half or so of it, and notice that they focused on the past, with the usual being up to 1981. That tour took so long by the time it finished nobody knew what A BIGGER BANG was.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2019 15:53

peoplewitheyes

For some people because it's new.

For some people because it's trendy.

For some people because they want to.

For some people because they're collectors.

Older people that are casual fans most likely have, and this is probably a very safe thing to assume, HOT ROCKS, and it wouldn't surprise me if younger people have HOT ROCKS. There are a few albums the Stones are known for and HOT ROCKS is one of them. Only the Gen X or whatever people know what REWIND is. FORTY LICKS and GRRR have probably been forgotten.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2019 17:49

GasLightStreet
peoplewitheyes

Older people that are casual fans most likely have, and this is probably a very safe thing to assume, HOT ROCKS, and it wouldn't surprise me if younger people have HOT ROCKS. There are a few albums the Stones are known for and HOT ROCKS is one of them. Only the Gen X or whatever people know what REWIND is. FORTY LICKS and GRRR have probably been forgotten.

All valid points. I'd like to add there that these big profile greatest hits compilations are steady sellers. That is to say that there is always a certain interest towards those more than normal studio albums (pl. some iconic ones) can enjoy, and the record companies make it sure that those are always and easily available. HOT ROCKS was never any chart topper, but is their best selling album ever. If we start from 1982, their best selling 'new' album since then (after FORTY LICKS with its 7.7m sales) has been JUMP BACK (6.9m). The 1991 released album peaked #16 in UK and #30 in US (in where it was released in 2004). All of their new studio albums charted much higher, but none of them (from UNDERCOVER on) has sold as many copies in the long run.

So my point is that the primal function of HONK was to replace and update JUMP BACK as such an easily available, big profile compilation to cover the post 1971 era. Of course, a new product always gathers some extra interest, although it looks like it has been rather low now for HONK (what peoplewitheyes says could be rather valid to explain that).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-22 18:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 22, 2019 18:07

GasLightStreet
peoplewitheyes

the overall amount of all these people is in fact very little.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 22, 2019 18:12

Bashlets

There are other artists who don't need to make new music for money but do so anyway because it's their craft and helps them stay vital. Before retiring, Paul Simon put out records of new music in 2000, 2006, 2009, & 2015, along with the occasional random track like "Fast Car" with Wyclef and co-writing a record with his son Harper. I doubt he earned much from it. Neil Young still produces, as does Fogerty and others. Stones are too much tilted toward being entertainers & businesspeople as opposed to artists sometimes.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 22, 2019 18:20

The Stones started playing the BLUES and didn't care
about writing new music...They loved playing to whoever
cared to hear them..

Mick himself said we are a better live band---So it seems
to reason that they end their career as it started--PLAYING LIVE!!

Date: May 22, 2019 19:24

Really think Bjornulf should change the subject title. The album wont be here this year, maybe in 2020.. ( doubt it)

Dont care much for the new album anymore. Lots of blah blah blah, we are cutting stuff etc.

Just give us some more live gigs , Europe/ Brazil.
and we will be waiting for some new outtakes. thanks.

jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...330331332333334335336337338339340...LastNext
Current Page: 335 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home