Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...329330331332333334335336337338339...LastNext
Current Page: 334 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 20, 2019 17:51

CJFP
You know, Georgelicks has been awfully quiet recently...

There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

There's more studio time booked during late November and December, maybe the final sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-20 18:08 by georgelicks.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 20, 2019 18:07

So, maybe summer 2020/christmas 2020.
Knowing the Stones...release maybe in 2021 (2023??).

Never mind, enjoy the US Tour(while i am waiting for a South American/european tour)

Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2019 18:17

HMS
The fact that not one single new song made it onto HONK tells the whole story. They haven´t got anything. Their reported occasional jams & meetings all led to nowhere as it seems.

In 1975 they were working on a new album when MADE IN THE SHADE came out.

In 1979 they were working on EMOTIONAL RESCUE when TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE came out.

In 1981 they were working on TATTOO YOU when SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES came out.

REWIND was an end of a distribution deal album, although a rather well grounded hits compilation. They weren't working on anything at the time.

JUMP BACK was the kickoff of the Virgin Records reissues... while they were working on VOODOO LOUNGE.

FORTY LICKS was the first time they'd released a hits compilation that didin't complete or start a contract and that they specifically recorded new songs for because they probably felt that they might be laughed at considering what they said about the new songs:

Keith: The only difference between us and the Beatles is that we're still going. So, unlike the Beatles' greatest-hits set (1) we felt we had to put on two or three new tracks in a to be continued kind of spirit. I didn't want it to be all just nostalgia.

Mick: I think what's important to me is that I'm personally writing new songs and the band is cutting new songs.

[timeisonourside.com]

It also spawned a very confused Rob Sheffield writing for Rolling Stone magazine that the 4 new songs are "Their toughest rock in years".

So, your point that not one single new song made it onto HONK because "They haven´t got anything" is pointless, seeing that they're working on a new album.

They put 2 new songs on FLASHPOINT for something different; 4 new songs on FORTY LICKS because they didn't want to be seen as a nostalgia act; probably the same thing with Doom And Gloom. Which both were shown to be completely pointless ideas.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2019 18:44

georgelicks
CJFP

There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.

There's more studio time booked during late November and December, maybe the final sessions.

Reality check.

There might still be the smallest of hope that a new tune might be played during the upcoming tour (like a grain of sand on a vast beach), but I'm certainly not counting on it.
The biggest 'surprise' will probably be a 'rarity' from Honk lol, or maybe some old blues cover they haven't performed yet...maybe something from Blue and Lonesome.
But whatever, it's going to be a great tour whatever happens.thumbs up

Looking forward to late November and December to see if they can get anything more accomplished.
Maybe by then the album will be 65% finished, and with some luck there will only be two (or three) more years left for it to be completed.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 20, 2019 19:50

DandelionPowderman
wonderboy
HMS
The fact that not one single new song made it onto HONK tells the whole story. They haven´t got anything. Their reported occasional jams & meetings all led to nowhere as it seems.

It's very strange. They've got the best of everyting -- producers, equipment, management behind them, a band that shows up when asked, a ready-made audience, hundreds of song ideas still in their heads or on tape. And they can't realise anything!? These are two stubborn old men acting out some long-standing conflict. All my other theories are equally weird because when it's a weird situation.

Or perhaps they think they better wait releasing their new stuff till it's ready?

My thinking was in the same vein, Dandelion.

If they had only one or two songs finished and the rest far from finished, that might have lead them to include the finished song(s) in a compilation.

However, if they have many songs quite near a finished state, but don't know yet which of those ought to constitute a new album, they will tend to have all the songs eligible for such a release. Wouldn't they? smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 20, 2019 20:17

With the 70s compilations it was not neccesary to include a new song since they used to release a new album almost every year. With 40 Licks & GRRR that wasn´t the case and including new songs at least was a sign of life. No sign of life on HONK, that should tell us something. I do believe that the songs they are working on are far from being near finished, maybe they aren´t even "songs" but just studio jams, basic rythmn tracks, whatever. If they would have 20 songs "near finished" it would have been easy to pick one and finsish it to put it HONK. After all, the "new album" (imo a bubble) will (hopefully) not contain 20(!) songs. Using everything they had only led to mediocre albums like VL, BTB & ABB.... Ten good songs are enogh for an album, but I don´t think they have ten songs, they have just nothing or very little more than nothing. I wonder how many Stones-fans will be still alive when this "new album" (bubble) finally sees the light of day...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 20, 2019 21:11

HMS
No sign of life on HONK, that should tell us something.

It shoud tell you to get the triple Honk with sign of live...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 20, 2019 21:14

HMS
With the 70s compilations it was not neccesary to include a new song since they used to release a new album almost every year. With 40 Licks & GRRR that wasn´t the case and including new songs at least was a sign of life. No sign of life on HONK, that should tell us something. I do believe that the songs they are working on are far from being near finished, maybe they aren´t even "songs" but just studio jams, basic rythmn tracks, whatever. If they would have 20 songs "near finished" it would have been easy to pick one and finsish it to put it HONK. After all, the "new album" (imo a bubble) will (hopefully) not contain 20(!) songs. Using everything they had only led to mediocre albums like VL, BTB & ABB.... Ten good songs are enogh for an album, but I don´t think they have ten songs, they have just nothing or very little more than nothing. I wonder how many Stones-fans will be still alive when this "new album" (bubble) finally sees the light of day...

Do you, HMS, then think that they not only tease their fans, but deliberately deceive them? Do you now really imagine that they have nothing more than songs that might have suited an album like DIRTY WORK?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 20, 2019 21:38

They are talking about a bubble for years and years mainly to gain public interest. At the Coachella Festival in 2016 MIck told the audience "we are recording new songs... then we played some blues.. then even more Blues.. a whole album of Blues.." Well, where are the new songs he was talking about three years ago? Don´t tell me they are not able to finish at least a couple of songs within three years... The songs Mick mentioned would be finished if they would only exist...

I think most DW-snippets that were left on the cutting room´s floor probably are way better than anything they have now - if they have anything at all except Western Grip 1-20. "They are recording" - they are recording WHAT? Maybe Mick is foot-stomping to some basic-track... Keith strumming around a Mick-demo he don´t really likes, after hearing his guitar track he says "Oh that´s bad.. well I fix it next time... and so on. And the years go passing by...

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: May 20, 2019 22:58

10,000th Post LOL

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 20, 2019 23:17

georgelicks
CJFP

Welp, time to re-name this thread, "New Stones album for 2020...maybe"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2019 01:23

HMS
At the Coachella Festival in 2016 MIck told the audience "we are recording new songs... then we played some blues.. then even more Blues.. a whole album of Blues.." Well, where are the new songs he was talking about three years ago? Don´t tell me they are not able to finish at least a couple of songs within three years... The songs Mick mentioned would be finished if they would only exist...

As a full band they might not be able to finish anything since Desert Trip, but Mick finished Getta Grip and England Lost - evidently both w/Ronnie and Charlie (Keith refused).
Yes they were both sacks of sh*t (including all the remixes), but at least something was finished.

Now we're told 50/60% finished, and that's just the songs they've been toiling over for years now - whose to say they'll end up ever being finished at all?
Next possibility of studio time is in Nov/Dec - a half of a year from now! By then they may have second thoughts on all the work that's been completed and decide to dump it, though I hope some of it is salvageable.
Meanwhile, it's almost time to enjoy the tour and the return of a healthy MICK JAGGER and the rest of the Stones - something to be positive and thankful for. thumbs up

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 21, 2019 01:42

I kinda like England Lost, at least they (or Mick) put out SOMETHING. I hoped it would be the start of more singles but no.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2019 02:17

Congrats to 10,000 posts and 3/4 of a million views on this exciting thread! Admittedly for a non-event but anyway...

If Jerry Seinfeld could make a huge success out of a show about nothing - why shouldn't we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 02:20 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2019 02:23

...in the meantime I'm having a spoon of Geritol. Does wonder for tired blood...

Date: May 21, 2019 03:44

HMS
With the 70s compilations it was not neccesary to include a new song since they used to release a new album almost every year. With 40 Licks & GRRR that wasn´t the case and including new songs at least was a sign of life. No sign of life on HONK, that should tell us something.

GRRR is not that old. UMe could've easily updated it, but instead chose to update JUMP BACK.

They could've issued something similar to MADE IN THE SHADE/TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE/SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES but they didn't.

There's no need to new tracks with every hits comp. They did it in 2002, supposedly, because they decided to record a new album and ran out of time so they used 4 from the sessions. At least SITS featured previously unreleased material.

For GRRR it was simply a case of, well, Keith: I don’t know how important but I think it was important to have a couple of new tracks to go out behind because it gives the sign of future possibilities and it gave us something new to play. So it’s something to add to the incredible list that we have already. [timeisonourside.com]

50 years. They did something new. It made sense - no new album since 2005, just live releases and some reissues with old finished and new finished tracks. No telling when they'd get around to recording yet alone releasing a new album.

There's no need for them to record and release a new song for every hits comp. It's probably why disc 3 of live recordings covering the third reboot was included - just a bit of a reminder to let people know what they've been doing.

No need to make it into some kind of personal vendetta against them not releasing anything new. You want that, listen to BLUE AND LONESOME.

Date: May 21, 2019 03:49

HMS
They are talking about a bubble for years and years mainly to gain public interest. At the Coachella Festival in 2016 MIck told the audience "we are recording new songs... then we played some blues.. then even more Blues.. a whole album of Blues.." Well, where are the new songs he was talking about three years ago? Don´t tell me they are not able to finish at least a couple of songs within three years... The songs Mick mentioned would be finished if they would only exist...

I think most DW-snippets that were left on the cutting room´s floor probably are way better than anything they have now - if they have anything at all except Western Grip 1-20. "They are recording" - they are recording WHAT? Maybe Mick is foot-stomping to some basic-track... Keith strumming around a Mick-demo he don´t really likes, after hearing his guitar track he says "Oh that´s bad.. well I fix it next time... and so on. And the years go passing by...

Public interest? Only at iorr.org has there been rampant interest. Everywhere else they're treated with 'Oh, OK, whatever'.

Which is probably how they look at it. They released how many albums almost every year for how long? A long time. 1994 a new album came out, then 3000 years of touring. 1997, another new album, with another 3000 years of touring.

They took a break.

2002, 2005, with gazillions of years of touring, they took a break, and got back to it in 2012. While working on a new album they released a new album and they continue to work on the new album. While touring. Every year since 2012.

Meanwhile HOT ROCKS continues to sell pretty good, considering, and is probably streaming quite well. If you can't understand that, ha ha ha ha ha, then you might as well find another band to follow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 21, 2019 09:52

This thread is alive again, and seemingly the tone of it being the same old one...

To me some positive signs and developments. As Mick's little teaser and Don Was's words about Keith doing overdubs seem to indicate (plus that mystical 'English band' reference), nice to notice that they used a bit of the spare time (due to Mick's heart problem) for the new album project. Instead of just continuing from where they stopped - they were ready for a tour - they seemingly took some steps back and gave some extra thoughts to a new album. As georgelicks reported, there will be more sessions on the fall after the tour. That was the deal also before Mick's problems, but now they have pushed the project a bit further. A bit by bit it all happens...

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 21, 2019 10:12

Yes, there does now appear to be some concrete evidence that whatever's in the can is perhaps back on track and well under construction.

...Though I'm sure somebody will soon start a rumour that they've thrown it all in the bin and are back to square one grinning smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 10:16 by Spud.

Date: May 21, 2019 16:34

It's funny how at times there's a lingering perception that they have to stay in the public's mind or offer something up for the new generation. Possibly because for decades there was always some kind of a release - LP, single, live album, live video.

1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 2000, 2001 there was zero Stones activity release wise.

A majority of their career something has been released.

Nary a word from the Stones about HONK in regard to it being their idea. UMe must've gotten itchy for something. As the charts have let known, it's not exactly selling a gazillion copies and making a ton of money. People scream "Money grab!" yet...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 21, 2019 17:07

GasLightStreet
It's funny how at times there's a lingering perception that they have to stay in the public's mind or offer something up for the new generation. Possibly because for decades there was always some kind of a release - LP, single, live album, live video.

1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 2000, 2001 there was zero Stones activity release wise.

A majority of their career something has been released.

Nary a word from the Stones about HONK in regard to it being their idea. UMe must've gotten itchy for something. As the charts have let known, it's not exactly selling a gazillion copies and making a ton of money. People scream "Money grab!" yet...

It is impossible to gage how much HONK! is actually being heard and by whom.
I have purchased thru Apple just about every RS song/ album available.
Yet HONK! gets released, and with my Spotify membership, I have been listening to it daily.
How does anyone know that? How is that ‘tracked’ ? Sure, I purchased the CD’s too, but I haven’t opened it.
So unless Spotify or God or whoever organizes the big Clouds in the sky notes what a billion people are ACTUALLY listening too,
we dunno for sure.
ETA: and free utube. My kids have never asked me for $ to buy music. Why?
UTUBE and Spotify family membership.

I know Rolling Stone magazine is attempting new chart charting. Good Luck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 17:17 by 35love.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 21, 2019 17:24

35love
Yet HONK! gets released, and with my Spotify membership, I have been listening to it daily.
How does anyone know that? How is that ‘tracked’?
So unless Spotify or God or whoever organizes the big Clouds in the sky notes what a billion people are ACTUALLY listening too, we dunno for sure.

Spotify knows what all of their users are listening to.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 21, 2019 17:47

About 6 million streams were generated last week in the US from the 46 songs on Honk and about 5 million streams from the songs on Hot Rocks.
Both albums are on the Billboard 200 this week, Honk at #172 and Hot Rocks at #199.

It's all about streaming these days, Honk barely sold 25k in the US so far.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 21, 2019 18:18

I’ve noted this before, but it bears repeating: If you look at the Stones’ top 5 streams on Spotify, the numbers are comparable to some of the biggest acts in pop music. Not as robust as, say, the Chainsmokers, but better than their peers.

Date: May 21, 2019 18:29

georgelicks
About 6 million streams were generated last week in the US from the 46 songs on Honk and about 5 million streams from the songs on Hot Rocks.
Both albums are on the Billboard 200 this week, Honk at #172 and Hot Rocks at #199.

Huh, not very impressive numbers. If the percentage of US sales is similar like it had been for several Stones products lately, the worldwide sales might be something like 100 000 sold units (at most) so far. For a rather big profile Stones product that's weak. How much that reflects the state of record selling business or that of the weakness of the product itself, difficult to say. I think both.

I guess for UMG the point of having HONK out there from now on will be that of having one compilation to compete with HOT ROCKS in streaming. Thereby it will be a steady seller (or should we say 'streamer' or what) all those brownsugars, angies, missyous and startmeups doing the talking. Was it that one could not stream that Eddie Sheeran number?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 18:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 21, 2019 18:51

Are HONK and HOT ROCKS actually competing with each other?
Both are distributed by Universal.
Only difference is one is 'owned' by the Band..the other by the Klein family.
Would be interesting to know if the percentages (profit) for the record company are comparable.

Date: May 21, 2019 19:22

Doxa
georgelicks

Huh, not very impressive numbers. If the percentage of US sales is similar like it had been for several Stones products lately, the worldwide sales might be something like 100 000 sold units (at most) so far. For a rather big profile Stones product that's weak. How much that reflects the state of record selling business or that of the weakness of the product itself, difficult to say. I think both.

I guess for UMG the point of having HONK out there from now on will be that of having one compilation to compete with HOT ROCKS in streaming. Thereby it will be a steady seller (or should we say 'streamer' or what) all those brownsugars, angies, missyous and startmeups doing the talking. Was it that one could not stream that Eddie Sheeran number?

- Doxa

I do think those are impressive numbers. It is not only albums and the buy/sell of them that is outdated, but albums themselves. More and more major artists are back to releasing songs. So back to singles, or maybe EP's equivalent. An the Stones have enough iconic songs and riffs that are ever present w/o the context of an album.
They seem to do very well within their peer group. Most older rock acts have to wait for some reminder of their existence to pop up. Like being featured in a movie; or even a commercial. (Queen's sales must be through the roof.) The Stones and Beatles seem to stay present in the overall psyche. The clothing line with the tongue doesn't hurt. Keith's reputation as the punchline for zillion's of talkshow jokes.

Date: May 21, 2019 20:30

Palace Revolution 2000
Doxa
georgelicks

- Doxa

I do think those are impressive numbers. It is not only albums and the buy/sell of them that is outdated, but albums themselves. More and more major artists are back to releasing songs. So back to singles, or maybe EP's equivalent. An the Stones have enough iconic songs and riffs that are ever present w/o the context of an album.
They seem to do very well within their peer group. Most older rock acts have to wait for some reminder of their existence to pop up. Like being featured in a movie; or even a commercial. (Queen's sales must be through the roof.) The Stones and Beatles seem to stay present in the overall psyche. The clothing line with the tongue doesn't hurt. Keith's reputation as the punchline for zillion's of talkshow jokes.

Well, I was referring to actual sold copies (compared to what BLUE & LONESOME, GRRR and even Keith's solo album did) but yeah, I agree, the streaming numbers are quite okay for an oldies act like the Stones. In a way this new post-album era works for them since they actually are a hits band, known for individual iconic tracks. Enough to keep the albums from which they are streamed from in Billboard Top 200. But the thing that within a few weeks a brandnew, strongly promoted album already dropped to the steady weekly level of HOT ROCKS, and probably continuing from where JUMP BACK once was, shows that it didn't made much individual impact in market.

- Doxa

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 21, 2019 20:59

"Thanks to the success of their last record, the blues set Blue and Lonesome, the band view the stakes as higher."
i am really a bit skeptical about the "higher stakes" that seem to be the reason for the continuous postponement. I Am afraid the only point of reference - in choosing among songs for instance - is commercial success. if so the new album, no matter when released, is doomed.

Date: May 21, 2019 21:15

jlowe
Are HONK and HOT ROCKS actually competing with each other?
Both are distributed by Universal.
Only difference is one is 'owned' by the Band..the other by the Klein family.
Would be interesting to know if the percentages (profit) for the record company are comparable.

Yeah, from the point of view of Universal it is just a friendly competition, since distributing both. One could even say that it is a win-win situation for UMG to have two different compilations to cover two different eras instead of just one compilation covering the whole history. They have two strong, steady-selling products to distribute now instead of one.

Which makes me wonder the deal and function of FORTY LICKS and GRRR. They sound like being a season products, taking the advantage of good sales within a rather short period (which always a new, strongly promoted product causes). Seemingly this suits both to ABKCO and Promotone (Stones). But when the sales are reducing to a 'normal' steady level I wonder if it would busineswise make more sense, for example, to ABKCO to sell that solely in terms of HOT ROCKS than having half of some joint product. Promotone probably calculates alike. They are able to update their own compilation (MADE IN THE SHADE/REWIND/JUMP BACK/HONK), and thereby gaining from the hype over 'new' product, while ABKCO is stuck with HOT ROCKS.

Just speculating...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-21 21:19 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...329330331332333334335336337338339...LastNext
Current Page: 334 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1267
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home