Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...299300301302303304305306307308309...LastNext
Current Page: 304 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 21, 2019 18:35

so damn right Ian..

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 21, 2019 21:00

Hairball
Inside Mick Jagger and Keith Richards’s Five-Decade Bromance

Keith and Mick[/i]

Interesting piece, thanks for posting!
Sounds very much like what most (?) of us think on clearer days.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 22, 2019 00:39

Thanks for the timeisonourside website link. I'm going to enjoy reading that.

I think about this new album every couple of days, unfortunately. I wonder what they're doing and how it's coming along.

I'd be discouraged if these little tidbits from Mick didn't show him looking and sounding so happy. And whenever I listen to Blue & Lonesome, I try and imagine what that same band sounded like with their new material at those same sessions. Their playing sounds so good and lively, I can't imagine them not jamming on something new and it not being at least halfway interesting.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 22, 2019 01:43

doitywoik
Hairball

Keith and Mick[/i]

Has Rich Cohen been to any RS shows since 1994? His book (which I bought and read) doesn’t indicate he has. He better go to Chicago 2019 and pay out for good seats like the rest of us.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 22, 2019 07:07

Cristiano Radtke
From Uncut magazine, april 2019:

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 22, 2019 08:34

Cristiano Radtke

Sorry, but there IS a time limit. They, like ME, ARE getting on. One day they WON'T be able to go into a studio and see what happens, coz one of 'em won't be around.

I admire Keith's eternal PeterPan optimism, but mate, look in a mirror. You ARE getting old. You might like to believe otherwise, but one day you'll get the tap on the shoulder...

It's the truth and it's how I feel. They are acting like they're still in their 20's or 30's, or even, God forbid, their 60's! GET ON WITH IT.

Rod

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 22, 2019 10:53

Keith always accused Mick of having a Peter Pan Complex, well now Keith is showing signs of having that very same complex, it's interesting how alike Mick and Keith are in some ways, it's often the case that people that are similar in ways don't get on. I also note how supportive Mick and Keith still are towards each other in regard to the delay of the album, neither blaming the other, rather just saying it takes as long as it takes, we are in no rush.
Since Keith got sober we see him more supportive of Mick publicly, perhaps Keith really is growing up at last.
Either that or they finally got to Keith and now he goes along with the scripted program grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-22 13:18 by keithsman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 22, 2019 13:08

bitusa2012
Cristiano Radtke

Sorry, but there IS a time limit. They, like ME, ARE getting on. One day they WON'T be able to go into a studio and see what happens, coz one of 'em won't be around.

I admire Keith's eternal PeterPan optimism, but mate, look in a mirror. You ARE getting old. You might like to believe otherwise, but one day you'll get the tap on the shoulder...

It's the truth and it's how I feel. They are acting like they're still in their 20's or 30's, or even, God forbid, their 60's! GET ON WITH IT.

Wow thanks for the slap of reality...NOT haha. But after 304 pages it totally obvious Mick and Keith are Peter Pan and we here are the lost boys and girls.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 22, 2019 13:30

No time limit...
Well..that says it all.could be another year or so before they release it.
Jeroen

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 22, 2019 13:39

Maindefender
... But after 304 pages it totally obvious Mick and Keith are Peter Pan and we here are the lost boys and girls.

Peter Pan or Methuselah ? Same net result I suppose ...

Date: February 22, 2019 14:44

Spud
Maindefender
... But after 304 pages it totally obvious Mick and Keith are Peter Pan and we here are the lost boys and girls.

Peter Pan or Methuselah ? Same net result I suppose ...

Yeah Keith's parents lived to very old age, Bert was almost 90 and he drank and smoked Keith under the table right to the end, Doris was in her 90's so by that token with access to life extension etc Keith isn't in any hurry to finish anything haha.
As for Mick he surely has at least 25 years left to finish it, if anyone is going to get to 100 it's Mick winking smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 22, 2019 14:46

Stoneage
Adele I don't get. She's compared with The Beatles now (chart success). To me it's middle of the road muzak.
Of course, Beatles did simple music in the beginning. But at least it was something new.

I don't know if it was pointed out on this forum or somewhere else, but there is an interesting resemblance between "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele and "Gimme Shelter" by some other band whose name I can't remember right now.

[www.youtube.com]

Actually, there is a mash-up on it too: [www.youtube.com]

It's not just the chords, it's also how the climaxes come at the same time.

Date: February 22, 2019 15:47

runrudolph
No time limit...
Well..that says it all.could be another year or so before they release it.
Jeroen

Or rather (taking into account also bitusa2012's posting): maybe we get it one day, maybe not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 09:37 by doitywoik.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: February 22, 2019 16:29

This thread should be renamed " A watched pot never boils"....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 22, 2019 17:58

uh...
do we really need a new album to start fan reviews?
We can probably predict most things that will be said about it,
even before hearing it.
I'm gonna work on this.
'tell the truth' has already been slammed. well, alright.
?

Date: February 22, 2019 21:19

hopkins
uh...
do we really need a new album to start fan reviews?

No, certainly not! This thread is the evidence for it. We can reviéw and discuss any potential Stones album without it even being recorded ... LOL

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 22, 2019 22:49

this new lp proves their deep talent not only intact but commanding and beautiful.
this new lp is ok, some of the songs are reminiscent of better songs, some good ones.
this lp sucks i have had it i'm not here to be screwed after waiting this long.
i became a fricken grandfather since starting this countown . ripff.
this lp is better than exoms, it's dynamic contemporary production
and persective makes it more key. Darryl has finally nailed some of what Bill was about.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2019 00:47

It would be nice if they put out a single.

SOMETHING.

Maybe The Who will make them get off their asses and DO SOMETHING.

Date: February 23, 2019 00:59

hopkins
this new lp proves their deep talent not only intact but commanding and beautiful.
this new lp is ok, some of the songs are reminiscent of better songs, some good ones.
this lp sucks i have had it i'm not here to be screwed after waiting this long.
i became a fricken grandfather since starting this countown . ripff.
this lp is better than exoms, it's dynamic contemporary production
and persective makes it more key. Darryl has finally nailed some of what Bill was about.
The Stones released a new lp?

Date: February 23, 2019 04:03

hopkins
Darryl has finally nailed some of what Bill was about.

Good one! grinning smiley

DiegoGlimmerStones
The Stones released a new lp?

One? Recall: if there is one, there could be millions!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2019 04:14

GasLightStreet

I am really glad that the Rolling Stones have never been following the Who too much. Some eleven albums accomplished in sixty years, farewell tours one after the other, no matter how many original members is died, and the big-mouth Pete is suddenly finding a muse in himself and keeps big time shouting that to press. And making a recording session some sort of Big Brother show.

I am really glad The Rolling Stones has never been any bloody Who. And never will be. They simply are just way too better, sexier, more profilic, interesting, hit-capable, artistic by nature, no-bullshitting, non-double standard and everything. Da Stones. The greatest rock&roll band in the world. No any bloody second-grade Who.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 04:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 23, 2019 04:40

Hairball
A shame Keith and Mick can't see eye to eye on the making of the new album, but could be some deeply rooted dislike for each other.
Mick did say some time ago (to paraphrase) that 'Keith will veto an idea or dislike something in the studio just for the sake of being difficult'.
And more recently in regards to Micks 40 demos, Keith said "being prolific don't mean shit"...clearly it's not all a bed of roses.

My interpretation is not that they don't see eye to eye in dismay. They have been working on this together for a few years .. as per Charlie, Don Was, and Keith's comments. I simply think they are trying different mixes to see how they will fit together on this album .. some with more Mick's liking .. some with Keith's.

Sounds like they plan on making it the best batch taking different mixes that will make the strongest possible album. At least that is the way I am getting it from George Licks .. as he said a few times.. They want this album to be really good .. he mentioned they have high hopes and high standards for this record and they plan on working to make it just that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2019 05:35

IanBillen
Hairball
A shame Keith and Mick can't see eye to eye on the making of the new album, but could be some deeply rooted dislike for each other.
Mick did say some time ago (to paraphrase) that 'Keith will veto an idea or dislike something in the studio just for the sake of being difficult'.
And more recently in regards to Micks 40 demos, Keith said "being prolific don't mean shit"...clearly it's not all a bed of roses.

My interpretation is not that they don't see eye to eye in dismay. They have been working on this together for a few years .. as per Charlie, Don Was, and Keith's comments. I simply think they are trying different mixes to see how they will fit together on this album .. some with more Mick's liking .. some with Keith's.

Sounds like they plan on making it the best batch taking different mixes that will make the strongest possible album. At least that is the way I am getting it from George Licks .. as he said a few times.. They want this album to be really good .. he mentioned they have high hopes and high standards for this record and they plan on working to make it just that.

Well they have the Keith mix's and the Mick mix's (and in some cases up to five different mixes) of plenty of finished material, yet they can't seem to agree and/or cooperate beyond that.
Remember when there was talk of a single and/or an EP prior to the upcoming tour. Nada. Time will tell what happens, and lord knows they're taking their sweet time.
At this rate they might be able to fully agree on something by the year 2021...maybe a single? Whatever, and whenever, looking forward to it.thumbs up

Date: February 23, 2019 11:07

Doxa
GasLightStreet

I am really glad that the Rolling Stones have never been following the Who too much. Some eleven albums accomplished in sixty years, farewell tours one after the other, no matter how many original members is died, and the big-mouth Pete is suddenly finding a muse in himself and keeps big time shouting that to press. And making a recording session some sort of Big Brother show.

I am really glad The Rolling Stones has never been any bloody Who. And never will be. They simply are just way too better, sexier, more profilic, interesting, hit-capable, artistic by nature, no-bullshitting, non-double standard and everything. Da Stones. The greatest rock&roll band in the world. No any bloody second-grade Who.

- Doxa

The Who are a fantastic band that give the Stones a run for their money live decade after decade, can't understand a Stones fan hating The Who with such venom, Pete is a genius writer guitarist and Roger's vocals are sublime.
Pete and Roger don't need the original line up, just as Mick and Keith could have replaced Ronnie and Charlie had they past away decades ago.

Yeah sure the Stones are a better band on all fronts but why the Who bashing.

Date: February 23, 2019 11:25

IanBillen
Hairball

Possibly the problem with this new album is that Keith might be taking more interest in it this time. That will cause problems, Mick is used to having his way, especially when it comes to mixing the finished article. In various interviews over the decades since Undercover we get Keith sounding disappointed with the final mix and general sound, often Keith feels like the tracks are over produced.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 23, 2019 12:28

Yes, leave The Who alone.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 23, 2019 13:51

Things will progress further after the tour.i understand they have more studio time booked.si maybe a Fall release???
Jeroen

FALL 2023.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2019 14:13

keithsman
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

The Who are a fantastic band that give the Stones a run for their money live decade after decade, can't understand a Stones fan hating The Who with such venom, Pete is a genius writer guitarist and Roger's vocals are sublime.
Pete and Roger don't need the original line up, just as Mick and Keith could have replaced Ronnie and Charlie had they past away decades ago.

Yeah sure the Stones are a better band on all fronts but why the Who bashing.

Haha... someone took the bite.. and an always tasty "hate-card" used. Baby, this is a Rolling Stones fan board!grinning smiley Yeah, of course The Who is a great band, and I am a big fan of them. Could be my second favourite band after the Stones (or at least once was). But the constant comparison of the Stones to someone else - look what this and that does and Mick and Keith nothing - misses the mark me thinks. The Stones is like no one else, and no one else is like the Stones. The path of STones is unique, what they have done is unique and what they are still going to do is still unique. They write their own story, and with that a story of a rock and roll band no one saw and told before.

The favourite comparisons usually are Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Paul McCartney, now The Who because Pete has made such a big fuss of his sudden burst of creativity and of regular recording sessions a media happening. The comparisons to solo artists never work because, well, they are not bands. A Bob Dylan album is not a bigger deal than Bob Dylan, but a Stones album is a bigger deal than Mick and Keith put together (and by the way, where is the new album of originals, Bob?). Theoretically, The Who might be equal in that sense (and about the only band in the world somehow could be compared to the Stones career-wise, young kids like U2 or Aerosmith do not count), but lost their credibility ages ago by their lack of input, using the card of Farewell Tour way too many times, and that of continuing the story of "The Who" by Pete and Roger Duo, doesn't help much either. Pete's big fuss about the new album doesn't hide the fact that there is a lot of catching up to do if the output of The Who could be made anyway comparable to the one by the Stones. Besides, Pete's never been in that position in his band like Mick and Keith being in theirs: there is no equal musical dynamo (and ego) there to cope with, so for the lack of creativity of The Who, Pete can only blame himself.

There is a saying in Finnish that I don't know if it to be found in English that the grass always looks greener in the other side of the gate. If we look with such a dare and passion in details the doings of their contemporaries as we do the Stones I don't think it would those would look as perfect at all. True that for the last 20 years it has been 'easier' to be a Dylan fan than a Stones fan (and I am actually a bigger Dylan fan than a Stones fan, if that's possible haha). He gives us more both in quality and quantity. But with Dylan and the Stones - two biggest things ever stemming from rock music - is apples and oranges (actually I have sometimes thought about writing a piece here about the similaries and differences of those Might Two, let's see if anything ever comes out of it).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 14:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 23, 2019 18:13

Doxa

There is a saying in Finnish that I don't know if it to be found in English that the grass always looks greener in the other side of the gate.

Funny, I was listening to the album this song is on just this morning ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2019 18:14

35love
doitywoik
Hairball

Keith and Mick[/i]

Has Rich Cohen been to any RS shows since 1994? His book (which I bought and read) doesn’t indicate he has. He better go to Chicago 2019 and pay out for good seats like the rest of us.

Hmmm. He was at the BRIDGES tour. But that's not the point of his book it seems. It's still all an act, one that makes a ton of money.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...299300301302303304305306307308309...LastNext
Current Page: 304 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1561
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home