Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...289290291292293294295296297298299...LastNext
Current Page: 294 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 13, 2019 22:21

retired_dog
Hairball
The "wall" they hit (as per Don Was) could have been based on a number of things at that particular moment - it's doesn't have to necessarily be just a Keith vs. Mick thing.
I do recall though that it had to do with a particular song they were attempting to play, and when it wasn't working they played a blues tune at Keith's suggestion, and it took off from there eventually resulting in B&L.
The "wall" could have also been based on bad vibes in the room, guitars wouldn't stay tuned, equipment malfunction, someone was under the weather, someone had flatulence (lol), etc. preventing furtehr work that day.
But based on all the quotes and activity from the band themselves, "the wall" seems to have gone on a bit deeper than all of that, and there seems to have been more than just one of them. The recording and releasing of Getta Grip w/out Keith ("the bugger went ahead and did it" was Keith's response) as one example. Ronnie's "might start from scratch" quotes (in other words back to the drawing board) is another example. I don't think they'd have to go to that extreme if it all was going great. And Universal not pleased with the direction (call it the Universal "wall"). Call it whatever you want - a wall, a detour, a stumbling block, or whatever, but clearly this hasn't been smooth sailing for the band. The good news is they're continuing to chip away slowly but surely.

I don't think anybody here expected and talked about "smooth sailing" for the band in connection with the new album.

That why I wrote "considering their age, I simply cannot see anybody involved interested in major fussing and fighting and wasting time, money and energy connected with this", with the emphasis on "major".

They are, as we know, a band, and I've yet to hear from a recording process of any band with creative control of their doings that went on without any discussions and disagreements between band members. It's just a natural thing in the creative process of bands recording music, while "smooth saling" is likely the exception from the general rule.

And that also counts for solo artists. The only difference is that they have to clear their doubts with certain material with themselves, not counting fights with producers or record companies of course.

I once talked with Mick Taylor about his feelings when Dylan's Infidels came out without the highly acclaimed electric version of Blind Willie McTell, and as far as I remember he responded along the lines "well, I was obviously disappointed because I think it's a great song and performance that would have fitted the album but I really had no say in it, it was Bob's decision and I have to live with it!". In a band situation there would have been fights for its inclusion!

I echo your views re Band v Solo dynamics.
Yet.
The Beatles, as an example were hardly the most harmonious of relationships in 68/69.
Yet.
They produced some of their best work. Of course they were in full creative flow.
Which clearly Mick and Keith seemingly are not.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 13, 2019 23:18

Okay, guys and gals, I have a theory. Two months from today is one of the annual Record Store Days. What if that's when they release the album/single/EP? It would make sense! They released Just Your Fool, No Spare Parts,and I think they released D&G on that day. That is my bet so far. Tell me what you think!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 13, 2019 23:52

CJFP
Okay, guys and gals, I have a theory. Two months from today is one of the annual Record Store Days. What if that's when they release the album/single/EP? It would make sense! They released Just Your Fool, No Spare Parts,and I think they released D&G on that day. That is my bet so far. Tell me what you think!

I like it!!
Makes sense for either an EP or (hopefully) an LP.
Great buzz for the tour.

Takes a bit of the pressure off as well as so many releases and press on that day!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 14, 2019 00:00

CJFP

'Just Your Fool', 'No Spare Parts' and 'Doom & Gloom' were all released in Oct/Nov - Wikipedia .

But maybe yes - the Stones will release one new Track before the 2019 Tour and play it then live - like 'Doom & Gloom' 2012 onwards.

Date: February 14, 2019 00:12

Irix
CJFP

'Just Your Fool', 'No Spare Parts' and 'Doom & Gloom' were all released in Oct/Nov - Wikipedia .

But maybe yes - the Stones will release one new Track before the 2019 Tour and play it then live - like 'Doom & Gloom' 2012 onwards.
I am sorry, allow me to clarify. Black Friday is also a Record Store Day. It was Plundered My Soul that was released in April! Sorry!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 14, 2019 00:36

retired_dog
Hairball
The "wall" they hit (as per Don Was) could have been based on a number of things at that particular moment - it's doesn't have to necessarily be just a Keith vs. Mick thing.
I do recall though that it had to do with a particular song they were attempting to play, and when it wasn't working they played a blues tune at Keith's suggestion, and it took off from there eventually resulting in B&L.
The "wall" could have also been based on bad vibes in the room, guitars wouldn't stay tuned, equipment malfunction, someone was under the weather, someone had flatulence (lol), etc. preventing furtehr work that day.
But based on all the quotes and activity from the band themselves, "the wall" seems to have gone on a bit deeper than all of that, and there seems to have been more than just one of them. The recording and releasing of Getta Grip w/out Keith ("the bugger went ahead and did it" was Keith's response) as one example. Ronnie's "might start from scratch" quotes (in other words back to the drawing board) is another example. I don't think they'd have to go to that extreme if it all was going great. And Universal not pleased with the direction (call it the Universal "wall"). Call it whatever you want - a wall, a detour, a stumbling block, or whatever, but clearly this hasn't been smooth sailing for the band. The good news is they're continuing to chip away slowly but surely.

I don't think anybody here expected and talked about "smooth sailing" for the band in connection with the new album.

That why I wrote "considering their age, I simply cannot see anybody involved interested in major fussing and fighting and wasting time, money and energy connected with this", with the emphasis on "major".

They are, as we know, a band, and I've yet to hear from a recording process of any band with creative control of their doings that went on without any discussions and disagreements between band members. It's just a natural thing in the creative process of bands recording music, while "smooth saling" is likely the exception from the general rule.

And that also counts for solo artists. The only difference is that they have to clear their doubts with certain material with themselves, not counting fights with producers or record companies of course.

I once talked with Mick Taylor about his feelings when Dylan's Infidels came out without the highly acclaimed electric version of Blind Willie McTell, and as far as I remember he responded along the lines "well, I was obviously disappointed because I think it's a great song and performance that would have fitted the album but I really had no say in it, it was Bob's decision and I have to live with it!". In a band situation there would have been fights for its inclusion!

That's all true retired_dog, and while nobody expected completely "smooth sailing", this particular process with this particular album of new and original material seems to have met rougher waters than what some might have expected - including themselves at times. Remember when Charlie asked "Where's the album?" mid-interview as if he was frustrated with the delays. And then there was a time where it seemed like things were on the right course -"working on it", and "sounding good", etc. was being said, but then all of the sudden and out of nowhere there were quotes that made it seem like all hope was almost lost (see Keith's recent negativity prior to Christmas). Yet here they are, back on course...destination still unknown, but at least they're not floating in the middle of nowhere...at least I hope so. Walls, barriers, bumps, detours, etc., they've overcome alot of them for this supposed new album over the last two years since there was talk of a new album to be made (or has it been three years?), nevermind the fact it's been 14 years since A Bigger Bang. Hopefully no more walls big or small, and since we're using the sailing metaphor, hopefully they dont run into an enormous tsunami or typhoon. The coast is hopefully clear, and with a bit of luck they might be able to have a finished new single tune prior to the start of the tour. Ships ahoy matey, it's time to clear the decks and make way for some new Rolling Stones...anchors aweigh!!! lol..

Re: New Stones album for 2019
Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 14, 2019 00:55

GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
TeddyB1018
“Meetings.” Wow. One used to call it recording, or rehearsals, or being in the studio. Maybe they should bring their lawyers to these meetings, in some conference room, to help negotiate the direction of the album. Or maybe Mick is just so Hollywood these days that he talks in terms of meetings. Cracks me up.
What do you know,since it really cracks you up?Absolutely nothing i think.Just some more bullshit against Jagger again.

I've been mean to some people over the years - and as far as I recall they all deserved it. But it was within the respect of what happens here.

You, on the other hand, have no idea about anything TeddyB1018 has done or knows about The Rolling Stones. You have zero context and nothing but your deplorable attitude.
Since you talkin so loud,What do you know,AS others did,nt now?Jagger told in an interwiew that he was going to a meeting.And you or was IT youre friend,told everybody that IT was probably Jaggers hollywood way to just talk about working on the album.How did you guys now that?Can you tell me,where this information came from?Since you two guys now everything about the Stones,and especially Jagger,let this information come thru the light

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2019 00:57

Nobody knows anything … page after page of nothing
Stones are working at their own pace …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: February 14, 2019 01:03

Rockman
Nobody knows anything … page after page of nothing
Stones are working at their own pace …..
A glacial pace...hmmmm.. I no longer believe in global warming....because there are FOUR enormous glaciers which are not moving at all. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 14, 2019 01:11

Plenty of info. in this thread based on direct quotes from the band, and what the insiders have said.
It's been a mix of turbulent waters and smooth sailing with almost three hundred pages of discussion since the thread began back in 2016.
Awaiting the latest from georgelicks, and maybe another tweet from Mick or Keith...hopefully blue skies on the horizon.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 14, 2019 01:33

Hairball
The "wall" they hit (as per Don Was)

If Don Was hadn't brought up the wall, this thread would be ~270 pages shorter, we would all be bored to death and start listen to the Ohio Express eye popping smiley

We should bloody thank the guy! thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 14, 2019 01:37

Hairball
..., someone had flatulence (lol), etc.

Hmm, thinking about this. - Is it known which way round Mick played the harp on B&L?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 02:37 by doitywoik.

Date: February 14, 2019 01:46

doitywoik
Hairball
..., someone had flatulence (lol), etc.

Hmm, thinking about this. - Is it known which way roud Mick played the harp on B&L?
smileys with beer

Date: February 14, 2019 01:48

doitywoik
Hairball
The "wall" they hit (as per Don Was)

If Don Was hadn't brought up the wall, this thread would be ~270 pages shorter, we would all be bored to death and start listen to the Ohio Express eye popping smiley

We should bloody thank the guy! thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Recording session 2016 - behind the scenes with Don Was: > Wall

winking smiley

Date: February 14, 2019 02:42

Hairball
Recording session 2016 - behind the scenes with Don Was: > Wall

Damn, this could be pretty close to the truth! LOL - How do you find these clips? Plain Google/Youtube?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 14, 2019 03:09

From the upcoming Mojo magazine (April 2019), as previewed by the Daily Mail

"The Stones are also about to start recording their new album.

Keith, who is also guest-editing the magazine this month said: 'We're in the studio in a couple of weeks, the whole kit and caboodle. The Stones with Don Was producing, in LA.

'We'll have it done this year, at some point. We'll put down as much as we can for a week or so, and then we're on the road. So we'll see what happens after that.'

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 14, 2019 03:47

Hopefully Don Was won't be remembered as Don Wall someday...

Date: February 14, 2019 04:10

Cristiano Radtke

Keith, who is also guest-editing the magazine this month said: 'We're in the studio in a couple of weeks, the whole kit and caboodle. The Stones with Don Was producing, in LA.

'We'll have it done this year, at some point. We'll put down as much as we can for a week or so, and then we're on the road. So we'll see what happens after that.'
I bet you anything this is just some more of Keith and his not knowing when they will be done. It says they are going to START recording, we know they already started.

Date: February 14, 2019 04:18

Good news! Albricias! I think that the new album will be released soon. I remember reading that Bridges to Babylon was recorded In 4 months during the spring and summer of 1997 In Los Angeles, California and It was released on september 29, 1997! I think that this was one of the most concise periods of album recordings! The No Filter North American Tour and The best is yet to come! 2019 an amazing year of The Rolling Stones! ;-)

Date: February 14, 2019 04:33

Thanks for the update Cristiano. thumbs up

CJFP
Cristiano Radtke

I bet you anything this is just some more of Keith and his not knowing when they will be done. It says they are going to START recording, we know they already started.

Yeah, the skeptic fan in me says more B.S. from Keith, but then the hopeful fan in me who has invested hundreds of dollars to see the Stones this upcoming tour really hopes some new music is on the horizon.
But then the old fan in me who has spent nearly a lifetime and thousands upon thousands of dollars following the band appears and says B.S. again, though still optimistic for a new single prior to the tour...hopefully.
And hopefully after they're done with the tour, the work will continue to proceed, though there's the risk one or more of them will have second thoughts on what has been accomplished...back to the drawing board...

shortfatfanny
Hopefully Don Was won't be remembered as Don Wall someday...

I think that name's gonna stick...blame it on the Wall....Don Wall.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:08

Sounds promising...
I'm betting on an EP being released on record store day resulting in a couple new songs ready for rotation..

Course, I'm good either way, and not literally betting, as I've never looked at money spent on a stones concert as an "investment", much less the monies spent on albums etc. Too bad, as the thousands of hours of entertainment and enjoyment, would far exceed any "investment" dollars I may have spent.

Date: February 14, 2019 05:22

Tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken literally MisterDDDD......calm down boy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 05:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:33

So .. everyone is meeting in LA to record. They spent over a week there it seems.

They aren't inviting everyone there because they are short on material. I'm sure
they have plennnnnnty. Now ... lets just hope the songs they have are premium grade Rolling Stones!

There is plenty more that went on that we know about. You see.. all The Stones AND
Don Was were recording in LA for over a week. Not one picture .. not one image .. not one blurb about where. The media lays off ... Im certain they didn't go from hotel rooms or rented houses to the studio in an underground tunnel. People know ..the media (some media outlets were informed). They simply lay off until
publicity is needed or until it's 'time'. They are on the Stones side so to speak... however .. they are not on everyone's. In addition .. they all are at The Grammy's .. but the media arent swarming around studios (it is an unsaid rule not to).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 05:34 by IanBillen.

Date: February 14, 2019 05:39

Yes Ian you were correct and made your point loud and clear.
But what do you make of Keith's latest?

Is this just more B.S. from Keith? I recall you saying some of his other quotes were pure B.S.
Or does this new quote give you more reason to believe him and be optimistic about it?
As I said many pages back, Keith has a way of talking out of both sides of his mouth at once, and this is another example.
"we'll have it done this year"...followed by "we'll see what happens after the tour"...not exactly a contradiction, but certainly a mixed message.

Date: February 14, 2019 08:06

Hairball
Yes Ian you were correct and made your point loud and clear.
But what do you make of Keith's latest?

Is this just more B.S. from Keith? I recall you saying some of his other quotes were pure B.S.
Or does this new quote give you more reason to believe him and be optimistic about it?
As I said many pages back, Keith has a way of talking out of both sides of his mouth at once, and this is another example.
"we'll have it done this year"...followed by "we'll see what happens after the tour"...not exactly a contradiction, but certainly a mixed message.

Hairball. I still say (as many do .. including yourself) Yezzer ...Keith sho does BS a lot at times. His comments contradict to always leave ya guessing it seems or to not be pinned down on the other side of his BS Lol smh. As far as his recent comments (he knows more than he is letting on .. So does Mick.. so do they all). If Keith simply said 'we want to get it done this year' ..with no studio time taking place as it is Id simply say hell ... the guy has said that about a MILLION and one things over the past 20 years ... tours ...albums that never got started as he said he hoped would.. studio sessions etc. ... live shows in select parts of the world ...etc. etc. I'd say add this to the list of hopes of Keith Richards over the last 20 years .. newest space available for penning is on page seven hundred and forty..

I think the plan is to have it done this year and then release it in the fall or late fall. If they were not planning on releasing it until next year I dont see the point on getting together so shortly ..just before a major tour rehearsal for a major tour is coming up. They would wait and just pick up recording again in the fall or late fall for a release next year or something. Since they ...and all their posse went in a mere six weeks before rehearsals are to start for a tour in which they will be occupied from the end of March through the end of June they wanted to get the meat of the recording finished it seems.

Why do I think that? Well that timeline would make sense. No need to go into the studio with everyone (the whole crew) just before tour prep which would take them to the end of June. Seems it was done now to get it done and out of the way so not a whole lot is really needed after the tour .. enabling an easy late fall release. Makes more sense than not .. Whatcha think?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 08:16 by IanBillen.

Date: February 14, 2019 08:21

Sure that makes sense Ian, but there's also the problem of getting them all together at the same time due to conflicting schedules.
Their recent time in L.A. was marked on their calendars for quite some time, interestingly right around the Grammys w/plenty of celebs and parties, so hopefully they didn't get too distracted with what Mick previously called distractions and hangers ons, etc. Then they'll reconvene after the tour, but it could be months to get them all together in the same place again due to recuperation, relaxation, vacation, and of course family time. If the "meat of the recording" is finished as you seem to believe, then yeah...maybe they don't all need to be together at the same time. While I'm not as sure as you they finished "the meat", I do think they may have put some near finishing touches on a song or two to be released prior to the tour (hopefully). Not so sure a full album will be completed by late fall...could be, but hesitant to believe it. Still thinking 2020 at the very earliest.

Date: February 14, 2019 09:56

Hairball
Sure that makes sense Ian, but there's also the problem of getting them all together at the same time due to conflicting schedules.
Their recent time in L.A. was marked on their calendars for quite some time, interestingly right around the Grammys w/plenty of celebs and parties, so hopefully they didn't get too distracted with what Mick previously called distractions and hangers ons, etc. Then they'll reconvene after the tour, but it could be months to get them all together in the same place again due to recuperation, relaxation, vacation, and of course family time. If the "meat of the recording" is finished as you seem to believe, then yeah...maybe they don't all need to be together at the same time. While I'm not as sure as you they finished "the meat", I do think they may have put some near finishing touches on a song or two to be released prior to the tour (hopefully). Not so sure a full album will be completed by late fall...could be, but hesitant to believe it. Still thinking 2020 at the very earliest.

I think the writing for the album is basically done. So is pre-production. This was recording time .. Keith said they were gonna do as much as they can in a week or so. I think they were actually there a couple weeks.

A few over-dubs and mixing will probably take place not long after the tour.

Yes .. getting them together is difficult. Getting everyone together .. chuck L... Bernard F ..all the Stones .. their guitar techs ..etc is something that needs planned in advance and is tricky. IMO .. and hopefully all that will not be necessary again. In two weeks if the songs are written and were rehearsed a bit .. they could knock out a large handful of songs in that amount of time. If they had half an album done (6 or 8 songs done) the rest of it would easily be attainable in two weeks provided they were all written and rehearsed a bit.

I'm expecting / hoping on a October / November 2019 release.

One would say Im hopeful .. but Charlie says they already did several group sessions all together for this album .. and that was back in November. In his words ....'We did so many bloody sessions for it already and every time we go back in I think....well that was it' (in other words we got it .. we are done with the album) .. and it isn't".... They even had a group session <before December of 2015> sessions that gave birth to Blue and Lonesome according to him.

There were also many segments of mini-works done it seemed by Mick and Keith or Mick and Ronnie or Keith with Don Was and Mick and Clifford etc. etc. Now here we had yet another major session with them all together for a few weeks.

Mate.. they BETTER have a lot of stuff done by now (spanning four years Lol)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 10:04 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 14, 2019 10:07

I get the feeling making an album is very close to rocket science. Which is harder: Making an album or a space tour to March? Seems like making an album is a tad more difficult...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2019 10:13

Oh well....i guess there will be a new album to coincide with the South American tour in 2020.

Jeroen

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 14, 2019 10:51

mmm...I think next year there will be an Australasian Tour in early February, and I think that a December issue will be the top to promote it!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...289290291292293294295296297298299...LastNext
Current Page: 294 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home