Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...284285286287288289290291292293294...LastNext
Current Page: 289 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 11, 2019 01:49

Gazza
Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Lorenz
We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Recording in LA as of February 9th
    [*] A lot of older Mick/Matt Clifford Material as source material
    [*] Transformation from Mick/Matt --> Stones DNA
    [*] Effort to make the album more than a by-the-numbers later day Stones album
    [*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Perfect summary thumbs up thumbs up
Only thing missing it's they're working on a bunch of old outtakes too! Am i right Rocky?

Soldatti has a genuine connection to Universal. Some folks here know people in the inner circle personally. My information is second hand at best and subject to question every time. I look for Soldatti or Bjornulf or mpj200 or chatoyancy or a couple others to confirm what I share every time. If they contradict it, I would trust them.

As for the outtakes, I heard there were "a handful." Presumably five or six. The thing is, if we think we're getting something like "Honest Man" - it might not have the same title or lyrics or music any more. Songs develop. This isn't the same as the EXILE or SOME GIRLS outtakes. More like CROSSEYED HEART. The songs have a starting point and a portion of them go back to the 1990s with one from STEEL WHEELS apparently.

Christ on a bike. Reheated thirty year old demos. How inspiring. Cant wait.

Gazza ... Don't piss my ass off .. not today Pal!!!!

Ha .. Well yes .. I like all new Stones as well .. however Don Was or whoever must of ear spotted a few things that showed great promise and convinced them
to work further into the ideas. I don't mind a few ...two or three .. but I want mostly all fresh stuff as well. By the time it / those make it (IF) to the album we will have no idea it could be a thirty year old idea from Steel Wheels ...or from 2002 etc. It'll sound fresh and like a brand new song (my guess).

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 01:50 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:34

Gazza

You know, I was just thinking Matt Clifford must be ticked if his contributions really are being set aside.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:44

Gazza
Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Lorenz
We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Only thing missing it's they're working on a bunch of old outtakes too! Am i right Rocky?

Soldatti has a genuine connection to Universal. Some folks here know people in the inner circle personally. My information is second hand at best and subject to question every time. I look for Soldatti or Bjornulf or mpj200 or chatoyancy or a couple others to confirm what I share every time. If they contradict it, I would trust them.

As for the outtakes, I heard there were "a handful." Presumably five or six. The thing is, if we think we're getting something like "Honest Man" - it might not have the same title or lyrics or music any more. Songs develop. This isn't the same as the EXILE or SOME GIRLS outtakes. More like CROSSEYED HEART. The songs have a starting point and a portion of them go back to the 1990s with one from STEEL WHEELS apparently.

Hmmmmm….that would be like using the 1959 demos for Steel Wheels LP then......confused smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 11, 2019 02:51

Hairball
This is like rooting for your favorite football team that happens to be in a slump, and their glory days are far behind them.
They haven't had a really big win in ages, but most of the fans' loyalty to the team is apparent through thick and thin,
And while the fan base gets smaller each passing year, many jump back on the band wagon when there's something to actually cheer about.
It gets frustrating for some of the diehards, but to see the legends still out on the field trying their best makes it somewhat worthwhile - win or lose.

Doesn't happen very often, but occasionally when bv merges threads there's mess ups like this.
Clearly this drivel was posted in the KISS reunion thread originally cool smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2019 03:32

IanBillen
Gazza
Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Lorenz

Ha .. Well yes .. I like all new Stones as well .. however Don Was or whoever must of ear spotted a few things that showed great promise and convinced them
to work further into the ideas.
I don't mind a few ...two or three .. but I want mostly all fresh stuff as well. By the time it / those make it (IF) to the album we will have no idea it could be a thirty year old idea from Steel Wheels ...or from 2002 etc. It'll sound fresh and like a brand new song (my guess).

Ian

Thats one optimistic way of interpreting it. Most people with a realistic perspective however would interpret that as an indication of someone bereft of ideas and inspiration.

Using unfinished ideas from old sessions isnt new or necessarily a bad thing. But if people use Tattoo You (as is often the case) as an argument for doing so we're not comparing like with like here, as back then the Stones were releasing an album every year or two. Theyve recorded one album of new material in 22 years (a timespan which - to get some perspective - is 40% of their career). And nothing in the last 14.

A band with three songwriters really shouldnt be having to dig around in the dustbins of their archives for 20-30 year old scraps.

Its 2019 and theyre in the home straight of their career with nothing left to prove. No artist of their vintage or their history is under pressure to deliver some 'grand statement' at this stage. If its an average album, so what? The music industry is on life support. They wont be building a show around it and it'll be largely forgotten and wont be getting airplay within a month anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 03:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 11, 2019 03:56

Gazza
The music industry is on life support. They wont be building a show around it and it'll be largely forgotten and wont be getting airplay within a month anyway

True. I do remember when album reviews meant something. Today they are more or less a thing of the past. And the old journalists who followed the band retired 30 years ago.
Now everything is about radio rotation (like in the early days) and downloading. And the Stones aren't huge in any of those divisions.

Still, I would have preferred the new album (seems like we have established at least that...) before the tour. Now, I'm afraid, the tour is just going to be Stones-by-the-numbers
once again. Which I find too predictable and boring. Not satisfying simply...

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 11, 2019 05:28

You can tell from the title "Bad Luck Hideaway" is a Mick song. Didn't he already release a song called "Hideway"? I've asked him not to be so cliche in his lyrics, using the same words and lines over and over. Maybe I'm the only one who notices. He is an original, after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 06:05 by chatoyancy.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 11, 2019 06:18

[www.instagram.com]
smileys with beerthumbs up

[1071theboss.com]

"Keith Richards recently teased that The Rolling Stones are working on a new album–and now Mick Jagger is piquing our interest even more.

The Stones front man strapped on a guitar and shared what sounds like a new tune. The music makes you want to dance, as Mick sings “really wanna tell the truth.”

He summed up the session writing, “2019 – all about writing, recording….and a tour!”

This isn’t the first time Mick played with us. He has been doing this slow burn for a while now, posting pictures of himself with a guitar in his home.

The Stones hit the road for their “No Filter’ Tour in April. The band will appear at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, June 13 and 17."

__

come on; give it up; this is exciting; he sounds and looks GREAT.
the groove is happening; they are working at it...
...they do not want to release stuff they don't want to live with at this point imo...
this is gonna be a good album with at least a couple of great tracks.
face it, it's already been panned here of all places, on the basis
of a clip i personally feel is A OK and jubililant; what little that was
offered. it was it's own angle on a funky up tempo thing...
it wasn't 'color by the numbers' like the pair that promoted Grrrr,
tho i liked those....and both were roundly savaged for the most part by
snooty fans, (of which i am sometimes king or high prince; hopefully high anyway; it's CA and apparently mandatory in l.a. county...

so if they come up with the next exile it will be panned...
oh they weren't what they used to be...
i think it's good to be suspciious and give them a bit of a challenge
but also i want to support this record because i have a good feeling
that by the time glimz agree there's enough good tracks, that there will be.
i have probs with their process too; and bigass criticisms of Don, frankly, tho all my ritzy friends think he's the nazz...
but i'm holding hoppy space energy force that says this one is going to
be their best damn album in ten years...i'm not counting b&L personally,
tho i liked several of them....i'm just thinking in terms or new material
they write...
if i'm wrong and it's too matt or chuck i'll say so; but i think they have
a personal investment in this one, moreso that bang and voodoo; alreay ancient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 06:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2019 06:42

hopkins
[www.instagram.com]
smileys with beerthumbs up

That clip was great.

"Harmonica playing on new tunes"! - Mick

Hope it makes the final cut!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 11, 2019 08:43

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2019 08:57

KRiffhard
[www.instagram.com]
thumbs up

Haha yes that's a keeper also - 'NO FILTER USA'!!! thumbs up

Date: February 11, 2019 09:01

Gazza
IanBillen
Gazza
Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Lorenz

to work further into the ideas.
I don't mind a few ...two or three .. but I want mostly all fresh stuff as well. By the time it / those make it (IF) to the album we will have no idea it could be a thirty year old idea from Steel Wheels ...or from 2002 etc. It'll sound fresh and like a brand new song (my guess).

Ian

Thats one optimistic way of interpreting it. Most people with a realistic perspective however would interpret that as an indication of someone bereft of ideas and inspiration.

Using unfinished ideas from old sessions isnt new or necessarily a bad thing. But if people use Tattoo You (as is often the case) as an argument for doing so we're not comparing like with like here, as back then the Stones were releasing an album every year or two. Theyve recorded one album of new material in 22 years (a timespan which - to get some perspective - is 40% of their career). And nothing in the last 14.

A band with three songwriters really shouldnt be having to dig around in the dustbins of their archives for 20-30 year old scraps.

Its 2019 and theyre in the home straight of their career with nothing left to prove. No artist of their vintage or their history is under pressure to deliver some 'grand statement' at this stage. If its an average album, so what? The music industry is on life support. They wont be building a show around it and it'll be largely forgotten and wont be getting airplay within a month anyway.

I very much agree on 1/3 of what you write. I don't think they are short on ideas ... word has it they have amassed a great deal of songs. Could be as simple as the situation of one (or a few) new song ideas could of put them to mind of an older song (or a few songs) so they simply revisited it (them) .. and merged the two song ideas or whatever. Mick supposedly had 40 demos on his own. Between three song writers ... a producer and an outside consultant or two (and given the amount of time between albums as you note) .. I would definitely think that they are not (and never were) short on material or song ideas. I don't think they went back to old material because of that and I don't think they did it to the level as is being discussed.

The consensus from many was they couldn't write anymore. Then it was that would never record again (they did). Then it was they will never make an album again (they are). Then it was it will never come out (it looks to be out most likely this year with all kinds of ideas surrounding it). Now the latest from everyone is that they needed to go back to old stuff because they were all out of ideas or that all the material wasn't very good (...easy folks .. just easy lol).

Ok ... Now .. I actually think this album matters more than you give it credit for. The Stones recording career could go out with a whimper or a solid bang (not saying it will sell 10 million copies and 15 million downloads .. Im simply saying a number one album with very good reviews and even better long lasting sales than Blue & Lonesome by a solid bang. A whimper meaning fair reviews ... low to moderate sales .. and debut at number 4 or 5).

Blue & Lonesome is not forgotten about .. and if the album is very strong .. neither will it be soon after.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 09:10 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 11, 2019 09:44

Pretty brutal, Gazza - but true.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 11, 2019 10:37

Stoneage
Gazza
The music industry is on life support. They wont be building a show around it and it'll be largely forgotten and wont be getting airplay within a month anyway

True. I do remember when album reviews meant something. Today they are more or less a thing of the past. And the old journalists who followed the band retired 30 years ago.
Now everything is about radio rotation (like in the early days) and downloading. And the Stones aren't huge in any of those divisions.

Still, I would have preferred the new album (seems like we have established at least that...) before the tour. Now, I'm afraid, the tour is just going to be Stones-by-the-numbers
once again. Which I find too predictable and boring. Not satisfying simply...

The fact that almost any albums (even new ones) cannot be bought in a shop anymore, and one has to go through the bother of using Amazon, which is a pain in the neck, at least in Spain, says it all: albums don't matter as much as they once used to.
Still, it's sort of fun to see how this thread is getting nearer and nearer to 300 pages. Hairball made the comparison with people rooting for a football team that hasn't won in ages. Personally, I always think of a kid that expects a horse, a playstation and a ton of chocolate for Xmas, and then gets a pair of socks each and every year.

Date: February 11, 2019 11:47

As for the addition of Carl Falk in a song ... well .. I must say I'm anything but excited about him as a selection for a Stones related project or song .. I've heard all (well .. ok ... lots of) his work .. eh .. sort of lame. Nothing but programming .. and loops ... light .. poppy lame aural vibes .. Sure.. he's worked with many .. but all have that sort of thing. I don't count him as a guitar player .. sorry .. can't do it.

Wheeeeal ... I'll wait .. I'll try and remain open ...but let me say .. I'm no fan of his. Can't see his style doing justice for a Stones song. Let's hope it's not lame. I don't entirely mind programming .. so long as it's tasteful and not with the light ... lame thing he brings to the table with his style. Again .. Ill try and remain open .. but Im already skeptical about whatever song he is contributing to .. (I'll wait to hear it before I throw a legitimate 'bitch' about it though).

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 11:49 by IanBillen.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 11, 2019 11:52

Hairball
I might be the only one who actually likes Losing My Touch? Sure it's a bit somber and slow, but for me that's part of the charm of it.
I imagine Keith in an empty bar late at night with nobody around baring his soul which in hindsight would have made a great video.
Easily the best of the new tracks that were included on 40 Licks and it could have fit perfectly on Crosseyed Heart or any other latter day Stones album.
Not all Keith tracks have to be rip-roaring riff driven stompers to be great obviously, and if we're ever gifted with something similar from Keith and/or the Stones I will rejoice.
Listening to it right now on a cool and rainy Sunday morning in SoCal, and a tear is forming in my eye...sad smiley...winking smiley.

As for Keith's worst tune, I'd say Infamy which is one of the many reasons that A Bigger Bang is a lame album.

Yes and yes on both things you say.
However, as the late-at-night-in-a-bar thing, I think Keith has a few other songs with that atmosphere which are less predictable and more interesting: Thief In The Night, Slipping Away, All About You, for instance, and that's just with the Stones.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 11, 2019 13:37

I still find it odd there is nothing about Mick being around at the recent recordings.
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 11, 2019 13:46

Mick and Melanie Hamrick at Universal's Grammys afterparty, February 10:

Date: February 11, 2019 13:54

Thanks bye bye johny.
Jeroen

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 11, 2019 15:25

[goo.gl]

Keith and Patti out and about in LA 2019 pre-Grammy party night before.

Date: February 11, 2019 15:26

35love
[goo.gl]

Keith and Patti out and about in LA 2019 pre-Grammy party night before.

Thanks.
Jeroen

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 11, 2019 15:50

And after the Grammy party they'll go to recording Studio in L.A.smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 11, 2019 16:04

Strange hairdo for Mick, definitely not "tour ready" ;-) Well as long as it's "studio ready", why not !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 11, 2019 16:42

gotdablouse
Strange hairdo for Mick, definitely not "tour ready" ;-) Well as long as it's "studio ready", why not !

Also, looking at both of the photos, Mick seems to look a lot older than Keith these days.
Maybe it's just the contrast to his much younger girl friend.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 11, 2019 17:37

Keith and Patti at Jennifer Aniston's 50th Birthday Party, February 9:

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 11, 2019 18:17

STOP PARTYING! GET BACK TO RECORDING!!!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 11, 2019 18:42

Hi everybody! I've been coming to IORR for a long time now but recently just made my account. Love getting all of the info for the "eventual" new album. I'm actually the guy whose been posting the Stones outtakes on YouTube, like the recently posted Licks sessions. I'm also probably the youngest Stones fan here, going to be 23 this June right before I see them at MetLife on the 13th. Long live the Stones and hope to hear some new music soon! smileys with beer

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 11, 2019 18:49

Welcome aboard!!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 11, 2019 19:06

Keith looks great. GP on the shirt?

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 11, 2019 19:10

JordyLicks96
Hi everybody! I've been coming to IORR for a long time now but recently just made my account. Love getting all of the info for the "eventual" new album. I'm actually the guy whose been posting the Stones outtakes on YouTube, like the recently posted Licks sessions. I'm also probably the youngest Stones fan here, going to be 23 this June right before I see them at MetLife on the 13th. Long live the Stones and hope to hear some new music soon! smileys with beer
Not quite the youngest! I'm 22! Where did you get the Licks material?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...284285286287288289290291292293294...LastNext
Current Page: 289 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home