Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...283284285286287288289290291292293...LastNext
Current Page: 288 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 9, 2019 12:31

KRiffhard
Lorenz
We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Recording in LA as of February 9th
    [*] A lot of older Mick/Matt Clifford Material as source material
    [*] Transformation from Mick/Matt --> Stones DNA
    [*] Effort to make the album more than a by-the-numbers later day Stones album
    [*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Perfect summary thumbs up thumbs up
Only thing missing it's they're working on a bunch of old outtakes too! Am i right Rocky?

They are working on lots of stuff, in fact much more than what would be needed for a single album, and that includes old outtakes.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 9, 2019 12:42

KRiffhard
Lorenz
We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Only thing missing it's they're working on a bunch of old outtakes too! Am i right Rocky?

I updated it - if I remember to, I will post a new update next week, should new info come to surface!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 12:57 by Lorenz.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2019 17:45

KRiffhard
Lorenz

Soldatti has a genuine connection to Universal. Some folks here know people in the inner circle personally. My information is second hand at best and subject to question every time. I look for Soldatti or Bjornulf or mpj200 or chatoyancy or a couple others to confirm what I share every time. If they contradict it, I would trust them.

As for the outtakes, I heard there were "a handful." Presumably five or six. The thing is, if we think we're getting something like "Honest Man" - it might not have the same title or lyrics or music any more. Songs develop. This isn't the same as the EXILE or SOME GIRLS outtakes. More like CROSSEYED HEART. The songs have a starting point and a portion of them go back to the 1990s with one from STEEL WHEELS apparently.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 10, 2019 01:00

In an interview with Don Was he said that they have been reworking some old material. He said that the oldest was from Steel Wheels and there were several others. I heard from somewhere that the new stuff would sound like Losing My Touch.I know about a whole lot of Voodoo Lounge outtakes, they are OK. My bet on the recent info on recordings is that a single or an EP will come for the No Filter tour and the rest will come in the fall or next year.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:03

Has someone posted mocks snippet of a new song on here yet? Sounds pretty good to my ears defo better than his last two releases anyhòo

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:07

CJFP
In an interview with Don Was he said that they have been reworking some old material. He said that the oldest was from Steel Wheels and there were several others. I heard from somewhere that the new stuff would sound like Losing My Touch.I know about a whole lot of Voodoo Lounge outtakes, they are OK. My bet on the recent info on recordings is that a single or an EP will come for the No Filter tour and the rest will come in the fall or next year.
If the new songs sound like Losing my touch,better not to give them out.Terrible song

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:10

I do remember the reference - maybe from a Don Was interview - to songs sounding like Losing My Touch as well,..

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:22

KRiffhard
TeddyB1018
Rocky's info on the new stuff sounds good to me. I was going to type up the backstory of Crosseyed Heart but no need when Mr. Dijon is around.

Hi Teddy! What about "One More Shot" solo version? Imo it could have been the first single of CH and i feel it's far superior to Stones version!!
[www.wsj.com]

I’ve unfortunately never heard it myself so I don’t know if it is superior to the Stones’ version. I thought the Stones record was just a few tweaks short of really making it. I’m sure we would dig Keith’s though, and would also not have been surprised if it had been a single off Crosseyed Hearts. KR gave ‘em a real one.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 10, 2019 11:34

harlem shuffle
CJFP
If the new songs sound like Losing my touch,better not to give them out.Terrible song

Omg, please, don't! Other boring songs like that?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 10, 2019 16:04

harlem shuffle
CJFP

not sure its so terrible...but I "get" what your doing...remember....“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.”

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 10, 2019 17:08

Losing My Touch is probably how Keith felt when he wrote it. Yes, not the most upbeat piece....lol That was ions ago, he is in a much better place IMO. Good stuff to follow...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 10, 2019 18:26

Rip This
harlem shuffle
CJFP

not sure its so terrible...but I "get" what your doing...remember....“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.”

I guess you would know.
Yeah losing My Touch was undoubtedly the worst song Keith ever released, please Keith no more songs like that.

Date: February 10, 2019 18:42

While it's likely there are some slow soulful songs, saying the new material sounds like "Losing My Touch" is not accurate. I've not heard the quote you mention so I'm not sure of the context. We should anticipate the usual eclectic mix of styles with some familiar sounding Stones, some stuff more like "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost," and some stuff like the tracks Carl Falk worked on (pop funk and a traditional blues that has been given a bit of a dance makeover). The blues one (formerly known as "Bad Luck Hideaway") might not have Falk's programming if cooler heads prevail. Will there be a smooth soulful Keith tune? Quite likely. Maybe even one sung by Mick. Something he's wanted to do for ages, but the general thinking is that Keith's voice is more suitable. Keith has been supportive of Mick singing something like that, but wants Mick to lose the mannered vocals. Apparently it's been a sensitive issue since DIRTY WORK.

Now that was the expected state of the album toward the end of last year. How much it changed since late January, I couldn't say.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 10, 2019 19:12

Rocky Dijon
While it's likely there are some slow soulful songs, saying the new material sounds like "Losing My Touch" is not accurate. I've not heard the quote you mention so I'm not sure of the context. We should anticipate the usual eclectic mix of styles with some familiar sounding Stones, some stuff more like "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost," and some stuff like the tracks Carl Falk worked on (pop funk and a traditional blues that has been given a bit of a dance makeover). The blues one (formerly known as "Bad Luck Hideaway") might not have Falk's programming if cooler heads prevail. Will there be a smooth soulful Keith tune? Quite likely. Maybe even one sung by Mick. Something he's wanted to do for ages, but the general thinking is that Keith's voice is more suitable. Keith has been supportive of Mick singing something like that, but wants Mick to lose the mannered vocals. Apparently it's been a sensitive issue since DIRTY WORK.

Now that was the expected state of the album toward the end of last year. How much it changed since late January, I couldn't say.

I agree .. All or most of the new stuff is <not> going to sound or be along the lines of 'Losing My touch' .. (...yikes lol?). The song was mentioned in his interview .. Don Was went on to slightly elaborate on the material and off handily mentioned there was a songs or songs that were in that same vane simply because he and the person interviewing had already / just spoke about their liking to that song. That's all it was.

Date: February 10, 2019 19:15

Rocky Dijon

Rocky, do we know more about the titles we saw from Ronnie's setlist book? Bad Luck Hideaway, Fool's Paradise, and the others.

Date: February 10, 2019 19:38

I hadn't heard of those titles before Bard pointed me to Martin Elliott's post. It was news to me then. I asked the mutual acquaintance if "Bad Luck Hideaway" was the track playing back while Mick was playing blues harmonica in his brief video clip. The mutual acquaintance said it was and then said, "that's what it was called then." They did say that Carl Falk was involved with the track and that he had programmed some dance beats to it. They said it sounded cool, both traditional blues but with beats you might hear in a club. Personally, I don't hear that in the clip, but who knows?

I suggested "Bad Luck Hideaway" was a great album title, but the only response was, "not everyone agrees. It might end up pure blues if cooler heads prevail." I took it to mean Keith and Don don't want Carl Falk involved, but that's speculation only. I don't ask too much, people clam up if you do. I also bear in mind that just because someone is fortunate to know someone, it doesn't mean everything they tell you is first hand or even second hand. They might enjoy the attention or might even wind someone up. Also, if they're getting the info from someone who suspects a leak, they could be telling them wrong information. For all we know, "Bad Luck Hideaway" could be a polka or a waltz. For now, I'd say take it as possible news and wait and see if it pans out with what others hear or share.

The only stuff I don't share is if you're told an anecdote that points to a specific place and time and limits who was there to witness it. You don't want the anecdotes online or in a book and you don't want the person in hot water for sharing it in the first place. That's just common sense. The bit about not asking too much is something I learned the hard way with Jimmy Rip and someone who is part of their organization who then clammed up. I never knew the Dunn brothers, but I understand they were the same way - very friendly with true fans until the questions become specific or cross into personal issues. It's the way to behave if you want to keep a job.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 19:42 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: February 10, 2019 20:36

Thanks Rocky!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 10, 2019 20:51

If they are re-visiting 'old material' with a view to inclusion on the next album, they might bear in mind one reviewer of an old compilation, to quote:
"....many of the songs were leftovers from previous sessions that were cut from their respective albums for obvious reasons."

Surely there is enough NEW material to work on?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 10, 2019 20:59

Even the family is now praying for the new album... smileys with beer

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2019 21:13

I might be the only one who actually likes Losing My Touch? Sure it's a bit somber and slow, but for me that's part of the charm of it.
I imagine Keith in an empty bar late at night with nobody around baring his soul which in hindsight would have made a great video.
Easily the best of the new tracks that were included on 40 Licks and it could have fit perfectly on Crosseyed Heart or any other latter day Stones album.
Not all Keith tracks have to be rip-roaring riff driven stompers to be great obviously, and if we're ever gifted with something similar from Keith and/or the Stones I will rejoice.
Listening to it right now on a cool and rainy Sunday morning in SoCal, and a tear is forming in my eye...sad smiley...winking smiley.

As for Keith's worst tune, I'd say Infamy which is one of the many reasons that A Bigger Bang is a lame album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 21:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 10, 2019 21:15

Losing my touch ..very beautiful.
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2019 21:18

mtaylor
Even the family is now praying for the new album... smileys with beer

[www.instagram.com]

Not sure exactly what that's all about, but I will join in on the prayers...smiling smiley

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 10, 2019 21:56

Wish they go for an album with some rocknumbers,some country,blues,some ballads,and not some overproduced numbers,keep it simple,and straight from the shoulder like they used to in the old days.Speaking about ballads,Keith could easily do a couple of country ballads.Not anymore of England lost and stuff like that.Not more jassy Numbers by Keith either.Do a Stones album

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 10, 2019 22:04

Hairball
I might be the only one who actually likes Losing My Touch? Sure it's a bit somber and slow, but for me that's part of the charm of it.
I imagine Keith in an empty bar late at night with nobody around baring his soul which in hindsight would have made a great video.
Easily the best of the new tracks that were included on 40 Licks and it could have fit perfectly on Crosseyed Heart or any other latter day Stones album.
Not all Keith tracks have to be rip-roaring riff driven stompers to be great obviously, and if we're ever gifted with something similar from Keith and/or the Stones I will rejoice.
Listening to it right now on a cool and rainy Sunday morning in SoCal, and a tear is forming in my eye...sad smiley...winking smiley.

As for Keith's worst tune, I'd say Infamy which is one of the many reasons that A Bigger Bang is a lame album.

Agree HB on Infamy....thumbs down

Date: February 10, 2019 22:06

jlowe
If they are re-visiting 'old material' with a view to inclusion on the next album, they might bear in mind one reviewer of an old compilation, to quote:
"....many of the songs were leftovers from previous sessions that were cut from their respective albums for obvious reasons."

Surely there is enough NEW material to work on?

There are about twenty new tracks and about 5 or 6 reworked old tracks that they've been messing with is what we've heard. I dobut they're releasing a 25 track album.

As for the quote above, how true. Wouldn't STICKY FINGERS be better without "Sister Morphine?" Wouldn't EXILE be better without "Loving Cup," "All Down the Line," "Shine a Light," or "Stop Breaking Down?" Certainly all of TATTOO YOU was a mistake. It's not like they still play material from it at every show or the album is still streaming and getting radio airplay after 39 years.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: February 10, 2019 22:08

I haven't listen to Losing My Touch enough to really enjoy it, it's hard to get it. I can only find it YouTube. I also hope they can just get something done before the tour. I know this will cause a crossfire hurricane of controversy, but I enjoyed the Mick clip. "Really wanna tell the truth!"

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 10, 2019 23:41

I support loosing My touch.
Not the same feeling for Infamy and thief

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 10, 2019 23:56

bring it; hope that instagram song is the first single.
this is gonna be a real good record.
i don't now where they are at with it; i have feeling's it's almost here is all.
but i had them last year or the year before i forget.
but that clip was super great; that hook still has me; so does his tude
and the percolating funky track behind him.
the entire presentation was confident and in a real good snappy groove.
the vocals were EXCELLENT; let's go.
let's have it you old dogs.
stop torturing us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 23:57 by hopkins.

Date: February 11, 2019 00:08

hopkins
bring it; hope that instagram song is the first single.
this is gonna be a real good record.
i don't now where they are at with it; i have feeling's it's almost here is all.
but i had them last year or the year before i forget.
but that clip was super great; that hook still has me; so does his tude
and the percolating funky track behind him.
the entire presentation was confident and in a real good snappy groove.
the vocals were EXCELLENT; let's go.
let's have it you old dogs.
stop torturing us.
You're absolutely right!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 11, 2019 00:19

Rocky Dijon
KRiffhard
Lorenz

Soldatti has a genuine connection to Universal. Some folks here know people in the inner circle personally. My information is second hand at best and subject to question every time. I look for Soldatti or Bjornulf or mpj200 or chatoyancy or a couple others to confirm what I share every time. If they contradict it, I would trust them.

As for the outtakes, I heard there were "a handful." Presumably five or six. The thing is, if we think we're getting something like "Honest Man" - it might not have the same title or lyrics or music any more. Songs develop. This isn't the same as the EXILE or SOME GIRLS outtakes. More like CROSSEYED HEART. The songs have a starting point and a portion of them go back to the 1990s with one from STEEL WHEELS apparently.

Christ on a bike. Reheated thirty year old demos. How inspiring. Cant wait.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...283284285286287288289290291292293...LastNext
Current Page: 288 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home