Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...265266267268269270271272273274275...LastNext
Current Page: 270 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 26, 2019 20:36

Not too promising if they are going back to material previously recorded or part recorded decades ago.
Let's be honest, it's material that was discarded in favour of the released cuts.
Not all of which were that great!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2019 20:44

Well if we're fair, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE, GOATS HEAD SOUP, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, and UNDERCOVER all reached back for older songs or bits of songs. And as for what we're hearing about the new album, out of roughly 25 potential tracks, only 5 or 6 are re-worked. But even if it was all old songs, what's wrong with men at the end of their careers deciding to finish off old material they never got around to releasing because each time out they started fresh with another set of new songs? Nothing, I'd say. Good is good. If they aren't good, it won't be because some of them weren't fresh ideas from the 2010s.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 26, 2019 22:13

Rocky Dijon
Well if we're fair, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE, GOATS HEAD SOUP, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, and UNDERCOVER all reached back for older songs or bits of songs. And as for what we're hearing about the new album, out of roughly 25 potential tracks, only 5 or 6 are re-worked. But even if it was all old songs, what's wrong with men at the end of their careers deciding to finish off old material they never got around to releasing because each time out they started fresh with another set of new songs? Nothing, I'd say. Good is good. If they aren't good, it won't be because some of them weren't fresh ideas from the 2010s.

thumbs up

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 26, 2019 23:43

I’m sorry I have to ask this:
Is there a chance that one of them is really sick, and the reason the album isn’t released is because they’re waiting for the sick one to go away, and then release the album with that “They were working on a new album when he died”, like we’ve seen a million times?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2019 23:46

Not very likely if they tour every year. I think the truth is they're semi-retired. They want to make another album. Neither of them is letting the other have their way so they work in fits and starts until it comes together. If misfortune intervenes before it is finished, Don Was will finish it with what they have and make the version of the album he prefers. Just my opinion of course.

That said, I think it quite likely they're storing up tracks for future releases. Stones and solo. Now is the time to do it. There's no guarantee they could do so in even 5 years, let alone 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-26 23:49 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2019 23:47

…… Geeeeeeeeeeeez Kent ........... I aint touchin' that one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MAYO ()
Date: January 27, 2019 00:18

They hace been just a touring making money band for 15 years not . Nice concerts really but totally improductive, they do not delivered musis and live of old rents. I became bored of so many vvault releases which offer us the same warhorses. Who care about more. It is enough. Easy millonaires band withour making new music. Nice confort zone not taking risk . Lets assume the reality. The productive years passed away.this band is over and we still have dreams.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 27, 2019 02:34

Roughly 25 tracks ! Wow that's a lot and first time I've heard of an actual number ?

The discussion about "playing back tracks" reminded me of the endless Rotterdam 75 recordings where they (or someone in the mobile) were listening to playbacks of recorded tracks, like "Man Eating Woman" and "English Rose". Interestingly "English Rose" has never been documented to have been recorded anywhere AFAIK (could it be Scarlet ?)...many mysteries remain !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 27, 2019 03:02

Someday I will check this forum, and there will be a sticky for a new album or a new single, and my heart will jump out of my chest. It will happen.

grinning smiley

I listened to Blue & Lonesome again recently, and can't believe how good they sound at some points. I have to think that a band that tight had to be producing something of interest when it came to new songs. They'd been playing live a lot in this period as well, so they've been a well-oiled machine. No moss here. I have to believe that they have something decent in the can.

While I prefer anything genuinely new, I've enjoyed a lot of the songs that have been included in these recent album reissues. So I'm not afraid of them re-working some old songs that never made an official release. As has already been pointed out, there's nothing new about this for the Stones.

As for letting multiple producers have their shot at mixing tracks, I think that's a good idea. I know a few folks thought those remixes for Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost were better than the official single mixes. I agree. So, I'm much less about having the new songs be something reproducable by the Stones as a live band than having the new songs be the most impressive they can be.

Finally, Weezer just released a new album with no advance fanfare. That's definitely a thing nowadays. It really makes me hope that somehow the Stones will follow the same pattern and someday the new album will just appear out of nowhere with no warning. That would be the greatest thing ever. Any sort of release would be great. I'm just dying for new music from the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 27, 2019 03:04

jahisnotdead
Someday I will check this forum, and there will be a sticky for a new album or a new single, and my heart will jump out of my chest. It will happen.

grinning smiley

I listened to Blue & Lonesome again recently, and can't believe how good they sound at some points. I have to think that a band that tight had to be producing something of interest when it came to new songs. They'd been playing live a lot in this period as well, so they've been a well-oiled machine. No moss here. I have to believe that they have something decent in the can.

While I prefer anything genuinely new, I've enjoyed a lot of the songs that have been included in these recent album reissues. So I'm not afraid of them re-working some old songs that never made an official release. As has already been pointed out, there's nothing new about this for the Stones.

As for letting multiple producers have their shot at mixing tracks, I think that's a good idea. I know a few folks thought those remixes for Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost were better than the official single mixes. I agree. So, I'm much less about having the new songs be something reproducable by the Stones as a live band than having the new songs be the most impressive they can be.

Finally, Weezer just released a new album with no advance fanfare. That's definitely a thing nowadays. It really makes me hope that somehow the Stones will follow the same pattern and someday the new album will just appear out of nowhere with no warning. That would be the greatest thing ever. Any sort of release would be great. I'm just dying for new music from the Rolling Stones.

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 27, 2019 03:30

Page 270!!!

Date: January 27, 2019 03:48

Hairball
Page 270!!!
???

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 27, 2019 04:45

jahisnotdead
Someday I will check this forum, and there will be a sticky for a new album or a new single, and my heart will jump out of my chest. It will happen. grinning smiley

It has happened already. That sticky has been there many times. Problem is/was, it always had to be withdrawn after a while ... eye popping smileysad smiley

Date: January 27, 2019 05:11

DiegoGlimmerStones
Hairball
Page 270!!!
???

The length of this thread:

doitywoik
jahisnotdead
Someday I will check this forum, and there will be a sticky for a new album or a new single, and my heart will jump out of my chest. It will happen. grinning smiley

It has happened already. That sticky has been there many times. Problem is/was, it always had to be withdrawn after a while ... eye popping smileysad smiley

Not to mention the title of thread being changed several times - from 2017, to 2018, to 2019...I mentioned somewhere back to save bv some time the title should be changed and simplified to New Stones album?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 27, 2019 09:34

Hairball
DiegoGlimmerStones
Hairball
Page 270!!!
???

The length of this thread:

doitywoik
jahisnotdead

Not to mention the title of thread being changed several times - from 2017, to 2018, to 2019...I mentioned somewhere back to save bv some time the title should be changed and simplified to New Stones album?

Well .. tell ya what ... Let me handle what the title of this thread is. After all .. I'm the one that started it .. ...

Also .. I'll check in on the sessions myself. Gonna drop by the studio tomorrow to see what they got cooking. Not to worry .. If it's not up to specs I'll have a 'one-on-one' with Mick, Keith and then Donnie Was -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 09:35 by IanBillen.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 27, 2019 12:35

Tops, Waiting on a friend and through the lonely nights were outtakes from 1973. Maybe they have genuine gems in the can from the last 20-30 years. It is not a bad idea to rescue them.
I bet for a double album mixed with fresh new and recicled old songs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2019 13:31

Rocky Dijon

This reminds me of what mr. Keith Richrads hinself once said a long time ago. Here is a bit from an interview done just before EMOTIONAL RESCUE was released. It is translated from English to Finnish to English (the last one by me) so something might be lost in the translation:

Keith offers me a dash of Jack Daniels and manages to topple the whole drink all over me. Then he tries to clean the mess by his tissue, and spills his beer on the floor. He hardly notices it.

”Some tracks are already for some years old. There just weren't room for them in the records, or they didn't fit to the whole. They just occured to our mind, and are now given a new outfit. And what does it matter, when will you record some tune, if it's just good enough.”

I have always had a picture that Mick Jagger is more into recording new songs.

”In that case Mick is plain wrong! Look, the same old democratic rule still holds on in this band. I just take my Smith & Wesson out, and all the rest will agree with me. I've just spent four months last winter in a studio making this album. I was like a mole, a part of underworld.”

Keith lofts his hand like expressing a despair. ”Oh Jesus, I want to live according to my myth, that's why I am here. Listen to this; this album is incredible!”

grinning smiley

But yeah, despite Mick seemingly still being more into recording new songs, I think it is good that Keith and Don Was are into picking up some stuff from the vaults. That of Was going even back to STEEL WHEELS sessions, I take that as a good judgment from his side. Namely, the band and its music hasn't really changed one bit since those times - the same band, the same sound. Put any song since then next to each other, that would make a coherent musical statement. Yep, some mixing and producing would make the songs to sound more 'flavor of the month', but that can always be re-done to make it cohesive. (But had if they released some, say, EXILE or SOME GIRLS bonus track as a new Stones track, that would have sounded phony or bluffing. They really aren't any longer that band, which made those tracks.)

If we compare that to TATTOO YOU, I think the 1981 album was much a bigger achievement (to sound cohesive and 'current'): from 1972 to 1980 the band had gone through much bigger musical transformations than they have had since 1989 to this date. Besides, if we take their working ethics, inspiration and dedication to release new music into account, what during the 60's and 70's might have mean a couple of years, would mean a decade or two now... the material to CROSSEYED HEART being a good example some songs being decades old (which urges to speculate if most of the 'Keith songs' in an upcoming release would be this older stuff)

Thanks, Rocky, for your updates here. Always appreciate. thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 13:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 27, 2019 14:51

It’s all Francis25’s fault...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2019 19:25

jlowe
Not too promising if they are going back to material previously recorded or part recorded decades ago.
Let's be honest, it's material that was discarded in favour of the released cuts.
Not all of which were that great!

They've done that a lot, though, with some of the material they chose to leave off being better than some of what they put on, even in EOMS' case - imagine if they'd've finished Sweet Virginia or a few others to put on STICKY FINGERS. TATTOO YOU is different, of course, since it's all leftovers, but very well done.

The mind set into what gets on and doesn't seems a bit strange but only after the fact, like how Think I'm Going Mad didn't get on ER but (enter whatever song here) did. Or Save Me and or Through The Lonely Nights from GOATS HEAD SOUP. Or Misty Roads and a few others that are fantastic musically not getting finished for SG or ER.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2019 19:34

KeithNacho
Tops, Waiting on a friend and through the lonely nights were outtakes from 1973. Maybe they have genuine gems in the can from the last 20-30 years. It is not a bad idea to rescue them.
I bet for a double album mixed with fresh new and recicled old songs

Through The Lonely Nights was finished in 1972 unlike Tops and Waiting On A Friend.

Date: January 27, 2019 19:41

Ian Billen
Well .. tell ya what ... Let me handle what the title of this thread is.

Maybe wise to change it to New Stones single for 2019.

Ian Billan
Also .. I'll check in on the sessions myself. Gonna drop by the studio tomorrow to see what they got cooking. Not to worry .. If it's not up to specs I'll have a 'one-on-one' with Mick, Keith and then Donnie Was -

Donnie Was...grinning smiley...

No sign of any of the Stones yet in L.A., but they could be incognito and undercover?
Stay tuned...thumbs up

Date: January 27, 2019 20:26

Hairball
Ian Billen
Well .. tell ya what ... Let me handle what the title of this thread is.

Maybe wise to change it to New Stones single for 2019.

Ian Billan

Donnie Was...grinning smiley...

No sign of any of the Stones yet in L.A., but they could be incognito and undercover?
Stay tuned...thumbs up

Or change the album to New Stones Album some time before 2030-2035 Ha

No reports of them anywhere ... but probably are under zee radar or the media is giving them space until it's time to talk about an album.

Date: January 27, 2019 20:43

The media giving them some space?
Not in L.A. - the media/paparazzi are like rabid dogs sniffing around every corner for a story no matter how big or small it is.
If any of the Stones were there, we'd more than likely know about it - will probably happen some time this upcoming week.

Date: January 27, 2019 21:17

Hairball
The media giving them some space?
Not in L.A. - the media/paparazzi are like rabid dogs sniffing around every corner for a story no matter how big or small it is.
If any of the Stones were there, we'd more than likely know about it - will probably happen some time this upcoming week.

agree but The media plays fair with The Stones .. (<<now-a-days) and some others. The Stones have been in LA before recording and we had no word on it until well after .. or from their social media accounts (on previous albums and I thought Mick was already there with this album snooping around).

The media will only print what the execs say to. Many times (in fact half of the time they don't run the story or dont publish the pictures).

As well .. The Stones rehearsed in LA in 2016 for 10 days ..Nobody saw them .. Well no media saw em... No pictures. The reason is they 'play kind' (now-a-days).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 21:21 by IanBillen.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 28, 2019 00:20

Well, maybe their social life isn't that exciting anymore? Just old rock stars having dinner in some restaurant isn't much of a story. As long as none of them misbehaves in public (or Mick dates some 20 year old) there isn't really a story to sell.

Also/or, I guess over the decades they possibly have developed their own techniques how to sneak into town unnoticed if they don't want to be noticed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 00:23 by doitywoik.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 28, 2019 00:27

When it's time to sell some product or ticket sales need a push you will see some media attention. Their own PR people will see to that.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 28, 2019 00:38

doitywoik
Also/or, I guess over the decades they possibly have developed their own techniques how to sneak into town unnoticed if they don't want to be noticed.

My money is on this.
Probably flew privately to a nearby airport and are getting down to business.

Date: January 28, 2019 01:07

doitywoik
Well, maybe their social life isn't that exciting anymore? Just old rock stars having dinner in some restaurant isn't much of a story. As long as none of them misbehaves in public (or Mick dates some 20 year old) there isn't really a story to sell.

There's always a story for the Stones no matter how mundane..."Aging Rock Stars Gather No Moss", etc., etc., etc.
And Mick likes the limelight - I'm sure he'll be seen at some fancy restaurant or gala around town schmoozing with other celebrities.
And unless they fly in on a stealth aircraft and are dropped directly into a studio/bunker, there's no easy way for them to hide.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 28, 2019 02:11

Interesting that all of their social media (the few I checked) have gone radio silent this week. No Sally or Ronnie posts, which is where I generally check first, as they are most personally active. No coincidence I think.

Odds are good they are bunkered in somewhere and working on it.
Having both Keith and Ronnie make a point to state publicly that they were heading to the studio makes it difficult to believe they didn't/aren't, for me anyways.

Date: January 28, 2019 03:36

Nobody is doubting they are coming to L.A., the question is when.
Ronnie said "in about a week's time" which could be anytime within two weeks of when he said it (Jan 17), so we're still in that window, and Keith said "next week" which could mean anything.
Sure they could be there right now, or sure they could have already been and left (doubtful), but without a peep it's really hard to say.
Waiting for a tweet from Mick standing at the edge of the Pacific Ocean playing a ukelele...or maybe a paparazzi pic of him with his twenty something yr. old girlfriend from Beverly Hills together at fancy restaurant.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...265266267268269270271272273274275...LastNext
Current Page: 270 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home