Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...255256257258259260261262263264265...LastNext
Current Page: 260 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 13, 2019 07:05

Testify
georgelicks
If the Stones are waiting for a better time to release old outtakes or box sets, sadly that ship has sailed, nowadays nobody buys records anymore except people over 40/45 or die hard fans, a big hit record sell 2 o 3 million copies worldwide these days, 70% of the market is streaming and it will be 80-90% in a couple of years.

The right time to put out outtakes or box sets was 1994-2005/10 or so when record sales were on an all time peak, the Beatles released the Anthology series during the right time and it was a success with over 16 million copies sold, their recent archive releases (Pepper/White Album) were #1 or Top 5 everywere but both failed to even reach 1 million copies sold worldwide.

Queen is peaking on popularity thanks to the movie, but 90% of the success is thanks to streaming of the big hits, the soundtrack has sold only 800k worldwide, but Bohemian Rhapsody has over 15m streams each week only on Youtube.

A Stones new record could sell again 2 million copies as B&L if they release it during the Christmas season, there's no market worldwide to sell more than that.

Any archive stuff would sell 500-800k worldwide at best, there's no market worldwide to sell more than that.

If anything happens to any of the Stones, their back catalog would explode on the streaming market, Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black or Start Me Up would reach the top of the charts worldwide with millions of streams, but not more than 1 or 2 million people worldwide would buy any new or old stuff, again there's no market for more than that.

The more they wait to release new or old stuff, the less they sell due to lack of market/demand for physical material.

Meanwhile the songs on Hot Rocks reach 5-6 million streams each week only in the US, enough to keep the album charting on the Billboard 200 almost each week during the past year, the same in the UK, that's their legacy.

I do not think this interests the Stones a lot, they always made the money playing in concerts, if it were for the earnings of cd-dvd discs the Stones would be poor.[/[/b]quote]

thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 13, 2019 07:13

georgelicks
If the Stones are waiting for a better time to release old outtakes or box sets, sadly that ship has sailed, nowadays nobody buys records anymore except people over 40/45 or die hard fans, a big hit record sell 2 o 3 million copies worldwide these days, 70% of the market is streaming and it will be 80-90% in a couple of years.

The right time to put out outtakes or box sets was 1994-2005/10 or so when record sales were on an all time peak, the Beatles released the Anthology series during the right time and it was a success with over 16 million copies sold, their recent archive releases (Pepper/White Album) were #1 or Top 5 everywere but both failed to even reach 1 million copies sold worldwide.

Queen is peaking on popularity thanks to the movie, but 90% of the success is thanks to streaming of the big hits, the soundtrack has sold only 800k worldwide, but Bohemian Rhapsody has over 15m streams each week only on Youtube.

A Stones new record could sell again 2 million copies as B&L if they release it during the Christmas season, there's no market worldwide to sell more than that.

Any archive stuff would sell 500-800k worldwide at best, there's no market worldwide to sell more than that.

If anything happens to any of the Stones, their back catalog would explode on the streaming market, Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black or Start Me Up would reach the top of the charts worldwide with millions of streams, but not more than 1 or 2 million people worldwide would buy any new or old stuff, again there's no market for more than that.

The more they wait to release new or old stuff, the less they sell due to lack of market/demand for physical material.

Meanwhile the songs on Hot Rocks reach 5-6 million streams each week only in the US, enough to keep the album charting on the Billboard 200 almost each week during the past year, the same in the UK, that's their legacy.

So, why are they making recording sessions?
They have already recorded more than 20 new songs...and to what end, i ask?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 13, 2019 07:19

This is crazy 290 pages so far

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 13, 2019 07:24

More Hot Rocks

Adjust your settings. I only show a reasonable 260 pages.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 13, 2019 13:56

One question-- Hot Rocks seems to consistently sell the best of any of their hits anthologies -- 40 Licks, Grrr, etc. Why? Just cuz it extensively covers the period when they had more hits than any other era?

plexi

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 13, 2019 14:17

Maybe the endless touring is because they have to pay for the engineers, staff, studio.....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 13, 2019 15:12

If I was starting out, Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks would be my first streamers. Then Made in the Shade....

Hopefully we get some kind of Christmas gift this year. Funny though that it was mentioned by several sources we would see singles in early 2019 leading up to the tour.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 13, 2019 18:30

timbernardis
One question-- Hot Rocks seems to consistently sell the best of any of their hits anthologies -- 40 Licks, Grrr, etc. Why? Just cuz it extensively covers the period when they had more hits than any other era?

plexi

1 - Its their best selling and more popular album, Diamond certified in the US, almost 300 weeks on chart, etc so the general audience go there.

2 - Forty Licks and Grrr are both out of print and not available for streaming

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 13, 2019 19:27

Nothing will get released till 2023. I am sure.
They are in the studio to get some songs done. Yeah. To be released in 2075. Just to make sure their grandchildren have some spending money.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 19:27 by corriecas.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 13, 2019 20:00

timbernardis

plexi

Well, I bought 40 Licks and probably like a lot of people played Disc one but pretty much ignored Disc two.
Hot Rocks was maybe the best thing ABKCO ever did for the group (and the label of course).

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: January 13, 2019 20:08

this new elpee is for your home rack
with Songs and stars to take you back
some old, some new,some gone,some due
from days when People wrote for the fun of it
and played for the hell of it
wit Pictures taken when all was smart
and just another piece of art
from sessions gone by,when Friends droppend in
to Play or stay or grin or drink
no one kept a list to say
who played like this
or clapped that way
the toads of parking lots weren`t around to state
pay up or you`ve got no Sound …

who remembers, what lp ? winking smiley

Date: January 13, 2019 20:25

METAMORPHOSIS

It won't happen, but how nice it would be if Andrew produced their last album or at least wrote the liner notes. I could read Andrew's writings every day. That's why our hopkins can be such a joy. You can lose yourself in their writings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 20:29 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 13, 2019 21:02

jlowe
timbernardis

plexi

Well, I bought 40 Licks and probably like a lot of people played Disc one but pretty much ignored Disc two.
Hot Rocks was maybe the best thing ABKCO ever did for the group (and the label of course).

Ignored disc 2..???i even ignored disc 1 and 3.
Jeroen

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 13, 2019 21:13

thanks georgelicks for the always interesting insights of the state of the art, from the marketing/industry pov. one would think (hope?) there might still be other motives that keep musicians doing their job beside that.
even the big brand rolling stones!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 13, 2019 21:13

georgelicks
So Mister Licks, r u saying that they are not releasing any new material because no one (younger folks anyway) will stream it? Is it solely a financially based decision?

No, just another reason to not to, in a long list of reasons.

The problem with all the analysis/speculation is it doesnt explain why other Acts in the same league as The Stones have continued to put out new material (even if not as at prolific as their peak)
Macca
Dylan
Rod Stewart
Van Morrison
Bruce Springsteen
U2.
Neil Young, Crosby also.

Even if Mick retains his interests in the Economics of the record industry...with all the dosh he has DOES it really matter to him?

Date: January 13, 2019 21:28

jlowe
georgelicks
So Mister Licks, r u saying that they are not releasing any new material because no one (younger folks anyway) will stream it? Is it solely a financially based decision?

The problem with all the analysis/speculation is it doesnt explain why other Acts in the same league as The Stones have continued to put out new material (even if not as at prolific as their peak)
Macca
Dylan
Rod Stewart
Van Morrison
Bruce Springsteen
U2.
Neil Young, Crosby also.

Even if Mick retains his interests in the Economics of the record industry...with all the dosh he has DOES it really matter to him?

The only thing that matters to Jagger is...
Under the age of 25
Jeroen

Date: January 13, 2019 22:26

A Stones studio album means working with Keith. This time it appears that Keith is taking more of a role. Getting them on the same page with material or production has been tricky since 1979. It's only become more difficult in the 40 years since then. That's something Dylan, Macca, Bruce, etc. do not have to contend with. Additionally, the label and their producer need to be on board. It seems that has also been a challenge from time to time. Amassing tracks for future releases is speculation. It seems likely and certainly fits what info has come out. The only other obvious alternative is they're busy making 3 to 4 different versions of the same album and are arguing over how best to fit it together.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 13, 2019 22:32

Rocky Dijon
More Hot Rocks

sorry my 6 was upside down.....smiling smiley

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: January 13, 2019 23:53

thumbs up

to Rocky Dijon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 23:57 by austrianstones.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2019 00:05

I’m just watching the documentary Rolling Stone - Stories From The Edge, and they pan past a late-60s headline reading Where The Hell is The New Stones Album? Strength folks, t’was ever thus. grinning smiley

Date: January 14, 2019 00:36

More Hot Rocks
Rocky Dijon
More Hot Rocks

sorry my 6 was upside down.....smiling smiley

Suggest putting your 6 and 9 side by side. It works quite well that way.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 14, 2019 01:52

Rocky Dijon
METAMORPHOSIS

It won't happen, but how nice it would be if Andrew produced their last album or at least wrote the liner notes. I could read Andrew's writings every day. That's why our hopkins can be such a joy. You can lose yourself in their writings.

Talk about a complete circle, sure why not...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 14, 2019 12:38

georgelicks
The right time to put out outtakes or box sets was 1994-2005/10 or so when record sales were on an all time peak, the Beatles released the Anthology series during the right time and it was a success with over 16 million copies sold, ...

Well, the Stones put out the UMe remasters in 2009, same years as the Beatles. How did those Stones remasters fare? Publicitywise, the Beatles remasters profitted a lot from the fact that there had never been any prior remasters whatsoever.

It would certainly have been a good time for releasing an album (or two ...) with outtakes in the process. I'm just wondering if they could have come up with anything matching the quality of, say, Jethro Tull's Nightcap (released in 1993, I believe).

I guess it must be clear to them also that they will never again reach the kind of sales they had in the 70s or maybe 80s, and that also the days of people duplicating their old vinyl collections on CD are long gone. If (too little) money is the only reason why we don't get any new music, it's almost a pity they have been so successful in the past ... LOL

retired_dog
... after the commercial desaster that No Security really was - a live album with a tracklist aimed directly at fans (not even Universal cared or even dared to re-release it until now).

If No Security really had such bad sales, I wonder if that also may have had to do with the somewhat awkward cover. IMO, NS is the best of all the latter-day live albums. It's the only one you don't already grow tired of while the first listening is still in progress ... (the worst on my list is Live Licks). Who knows how a remaster would have sounded? Maybe we should be glad they never did one. As for the track list, was it really specifically meant to be geared at the fans? I rather felt like, if you release a live album/video from every tour, they shouldn't all contain the same songs, so they put things on it that aren't found for the umpteenth time.

Even if NS was a commercial desaster (if seen from a Rolling-Stones-in-the-vinyl-era persepective), I'd still like to have the money it made ... LOL

retired_dog
In the same way they don't "need" a new album right now. If it surprisingly appears any time soon, it will be a nice gesture to their fans worldwide and (hopefully) an artistic statement, but a necessity? For us, yes, but not for them.

Well, Mick and Keith at least should be well beyond the point where anything is necessary from a commercial perspective for quite some time now. I guess they could have even done without the last couple of tours. Ronnie is possibly the one who might need additional income most (Charlie, dunno).

Date: January 14, 2019 12:44

A brief addendum:

When B2B came out over here, it was sold off right from the start for less than half the price of a "regular" CD back then, and the whole thing definitely had the scent of trying to get higher sales figures from special pricing. (I myself didn't mind, these were dire days, and a decently priced CD was always welcome...)

I can't quite remember what I paid for ABB, but I think also ABB was sold at a lower-than-average price.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 14, 2019 14:09

doitywoik
Quoted from the other thread:

gotdablouse
Wow, maybe that's going to give Mick and Keith a wakeup call !

When Pete Townshend’s management team came to him with a lucrative offer from Live Nation to spend much of 2019 on the road with the Who, he said he’d only agree to it under a single condition. “I said I was not going to sign any contracts unless we have new material,” says Townshend. “This has nothing to do with wanting a hit album. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Who need a new album. It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Nuff said ...

Haha... It would be pretty funny if Mick or Keith would start talking of themselves with such terms as Pete talks about himself... "my pride, my sense of self-worth amd self-dignity as a writer"... Pete's great guy, but he takes himself a bit too seriously sometimes... What was it Keith said about him years ago.. that Pete should talk less and play guitar more... It's only rock&roll, man...

As noted here, The Who's discography is not very impressive in quantity compared to that of the non-seriously-artistic-minded Stones...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 14:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 14, 2019 14:22

jlowe
georgelicks

Macca
Dylan
Rod Stewart
Van Morrison
Bruce Springsteen
U2.
Neil Young, Crosby also.

One point of view that at least matters to me is the overall impression of The Rolling Stones. In the heydays of Queen as we are right now seeing, with Macca having a number one a few years ago. Springsteen scoring nr 1 albums all the time and U2 scoring the largest tours there is a question of legacy involved here. Being just a nostalgica band isn't enough for me even if they live wants to play the same hits over and over again.

I want them to have one last important bang to the music industry.

It's a lot of dreaming I knowsmiling smiley

Date: January 14, 2019 14:30

Needn't be one last important bang. Just another album would do for me.

The days when new albums were "important" on the culture scene or wherever are long gone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 14, 2019 15:02

doitywoik

The days when new albums were "important" on the culture scene or wherever are long gone.

It's funny how well the Stones reflect and represent the history of rock: they were a hot hit single band when that was the norm; they were a masterpiece album band when that was the norm, and they have been a huge concert draw since that has been the norm. The norm = where the hype, cultural relevance, fame & big money is. They could write a textbook how to stay at the very top...

Not a bad achievement for a couple of guys who just loved to play the blues...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 15:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 14, 2019 15:04

tiffanyblu
...Being just a nostalgica band isn't enough for me even if they live wants to play the same hits over and over again.

I want them to have one last important bang to the music industry.

It's a lot of dreaming I knowsmiling smiley

I often get the impression that they [Keith in particular] think they're a Jazz band...and the music is brand new every time they play it !

[For me at least they sort of get away with that. I still love the subtle twists that keep the old songs fresh ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 15:52 by Spud.

Date: January 14, 2019 16:57

Spud
I often get the impression that they [Keith in particular] think they're a Jazz band...and the music is brand new every time they play it !

Yeah, Keith often talks like that, like each song comes out quite different each time they play it. (I for my part can't detect any differences at a macroscopic level in a song between one show and the next show, unless it's botched intro/solo vs. sorta-OK-intro/solo, or the like). Keith also likes to say they're getting better and better over the years ("like old wine") ... not sure if he really believes so himself.

What goes OK with me is his reference to the old bluesmen, still playing in their old age. Hell, yeah, why not? smiling smiley Although there's possibly a difference between playing a club date as a 80-plus year old blues (or jazz) person and delivering a full-blown stadium rock production for 50.000 people at the age of, say, 85.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...255256257258259260261262263264265...LastNext
Current Page: 260 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home