Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...253254255256257258259260261262263...LastNext
Current Page: 258 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: January 10, 2019 14:16

timbernardis
GasLightStreet
Doxa
...I checked the other night the setlists from A Bigger Bang tour, and I was surprised how much they actually played from that album during the tour. For the first legs it was from three to four songs, sometimes even five songs, per night and it was not until the last European Leg in 2007 they reduced the amount to two basically. By Stonesian terms that's not much different than they have about always done (some SOME GIRLS being an exception to a rule, really). I had a totally different recollection - like they almost totally neglected the whole album pretty soon on the road.

As the BANG tour progressed they played less and less until it was just a hits review. It was 110 shows over 3 years so - they didn't play anything for that silly movie.

SOME GIRLS they played 7 songs for the most part on the tour.

TATTOO YOU they played 6 for the US tour, 5 for the EU tour. That never changed.

STEEL WHEELS they started with 3 and as the tour got close to its end as many as 6 a few times.

URBAN JUNGLE was 5 to 6.

VOODOO LOUNGE was mostly 5 in 1994, was 3 to 4 in 1995.

BRIDGES in 1997 was 3 early on, four towards the end, with some MSG shows featuring 5. 1998 was 4 to 5, 1999 was 3.

I supposed you could say they've been consistent but by the 2007 BANG tour there was just one song after playing 4 in 2006. That's ridiculous.

I believe it was 145 shows over 2 years, at least according to the tour summative t shirt sold at the 3 concluding shows at the O2.

plexi

Doxa, you are so right; I did the exact same thing, for the same reasons. In my mind they hardly played any songs from the album. I always had this vague notion of them doing "Streets of Love" in Italy.
But for US leg at least seems like #5,6,11 and 13 were always 4 ABB tracks. For some reason they dropped them slowly. Keith rotated his two songs. I also always thought they did "She Saw Me Coming" once or twice, but no.

Date: January 10, 2019 14:32

They played Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long (only a couple of times?), Back Of My Hand, Rain Fall Down, Streets Of Love, This Place Is Empty, Oh No, Not You Again and Infamy off ABB.

There was some rotating, but for the original leg of ABB four songs was the norm, it seems - although they played more on some shows.

The last Euro-leg of ABB was more than two years after the first leg kicked off. By then only Rough Justice remained in the setlist.

In Oslo 2007 the ABB numbers were replaced by songs like Monkey Man, Bitch, I'll Go Crazy and Wanna Hold You..

Date: January 10, 2019 14:37

Oh yes, I forgot "Back of my hand". At start of tour for a good while they did "Rain Fall Down" and Oh No" in early parts of set. Then Keith was doing "Infamy" every night; and Rough Justice" showed up on the B Stage. Then I got bored of checking every night, and looked at overall stats.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 10, 2019 16:40

retired_dog
Rocky Dijon
Bjornulf usually ignores me when I try to talk to him anyway.

Don't let him bring you down. He's probably just jealous because you have a cooler user name.

I do, but his isn't borrowed. And he has to put up with my semi-annual pleas to delete my account because I don't want to be here any more. I'm the frustrated husband who packs his bags just so he can unpack them because the love outweighs the irritation, though it's a close call.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2019 17:49

DandelionPowderman
They played Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long (only a couple of times?), Back Of My Hand, Rain Fall Down, Streets Of Love, This Place Is Empty, Oh No, Not You Again and Infamy off ABB.

There was some rotating, but for the original leg of ABB four songs was the norm, it seems - although they played more on some shows.

The last Euro-leg of ABB was more than two years after the first leg kicked off. By then only Rough Justice remained in the setlist.

In Oslo 2007 the ABB numbers were replaced by songs like Monkey Man, Bitch, I'll Go Crazy and Wanna Hold You..

Perfectly understandable really .

The ABB tour ended up being so long ...and two years down the road you're hardly promoting a new album any more.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 10, 2019 18:16

Palace Revolution 2000
Oh yes, I forgot "Back of my hand". At start of tour for a good while they did "Rain Fall Down" and Oh No" in early parts of set. Then Keith was doing "Infamy" every night; and Rough Justice" showed up on the B Stage. Then I got bored of checking every night, and looked at overall stats.

setlist stats? Where do u find those?

plexi

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 10, 2019 18:59

Spud
DandelionPowderman

The ABB tour ended up being so long ...and two years down the road you're hardly promoting a new album any more.

A band should damn well still be promoting a new album two years down the road. Biggest Mistake was released as a single on 8/21/06.(album 9/6/05)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 10, 2019 20:46

Maindefender
Spud
DandelionPowderman

A band should damn well still be promoting a new album two years down the road. Biggest Mistake was released as a single on 8/21/06.(album 9/6/05)

Promoting aside, most artists actually want to play their latest material - otherwise they're stuck in the rut of regurgitation/nostalgia.

For the most part I enjoyed the new tunes being played live during the ABB tour - especially Rain Fall Down and Back of My Hand (but not so much the others). They added some freshness to the shows, and while none of those tunes match any of the classics/warhorses in quality, they showed the band still had some relevancy and weren't simply living in the past. I'd rather see a an artist attempt something new with the risk of failing, then simply resting on their laurels and past glories. Hopefully at least one brand new tune for the upcoming tour, and I'm not referring to some long lost treasure that's never been played (though that would obviously be welcome also).

Date: January 10, 2019 21:25

Agreed in principle. If the tour is named after the album, you should be playing a substantial number of songs from the album.

That said, The Stones developed a split identity as a band. On the one hand, they were recording artists who remained creative and on the other, they were a nostalgia act who generated a couple billion dollars in touring revenue by re-creating their greatest hits with a large supporting cast of veteran players. The two operated like different beasts with little overlap.

Each tour, there would be the token new songs which would be traded out for another selection of new songs for the next tour. They didn't build upon the recent past where we ended up with A BIGGER BANG tour featuring a setlist with 5 tracks from the parent album, 3 tracks each from BRIDGES and VOODOO LOUNGE, 2 tracks from STEEL WHEELS, a handful of their biggest hits, and a couple of deep cuts. That would have been an amazing 20 song set that many of us would have loved.

It also wouldn't have kept them at the top where they wanted to be. There's a scene in BEING MICK where Mick and Elton John are having this same discussion about Madonna. If you can get past rolling your eyes over Elton and Madonna, the point is valid. Play the hits and you fill the stadiums. Play enough new material and you won't leave the stadium crowd buying the overpriced tickets satisfied. They'll say there was too much new stuff. They want to hear songs they recognize from the radio. None of their songs past 1981 have stayed in heavy rotation on radio. They're not in movies or on TV. They're not in commercials. The general public likes what it knows.

Where does that get us? Today, actually. The same dichotomy prevails except the creative side that still writes and records new material rarely bothers to release anything. The touring nostalgia show is as strong as ever, though the pace is a fraction of what it was. They still write and record, but it's for themselves instead of us and likely with an eye on maximizing sales when headline news guarantees more than a strong debut week with sales from the faithful.

Seen from that perspective, the new name/same hits plus a few token new songs you'll ignore formula that carried them from 1989 to 2007 could only turn into what we have today. The well hasn't run dry, they're just hoarding the water for when they no longer sing for their suppers 14 nights a year.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 10, 2019 22:11

Rocky Dijon
The well hasn't run dry, they're just hoarding the water for when they no longer sing for their suppers 14 nights a year.

I for one am counting on this being accurate.. and looking forward to it!

Date: January 10, 2019 23:28

It's the only reason I can think Universal would let them book multiple sessions at British Grove, Germano, Henson, and Twin Studios over the last four years with expensive talent like Don Was and Carl Falk and not worry about when they actually deliver a finished product. Heck, our Ian would have fired them dozens of times by now and evicted them if he could. Universal needs a taskmaster like that holding the whip.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 10, 2019 23:36

Rocky Dijon
retired_dog
Rocky Dijon
Bjornulf usually ignores me when I try to talk to him anyway.

Don't let him bring you down. He's probably just jealous because you have a cooler user name.

I do, but his isn't borrowed. And he has to put up with my semi-annual pleas to delete my account because I don't want to be here any more. I'm the frustrated husband who packs his bags just so he can unpack them because the love outweighs the irritation, though it's a close call.

Way off topic but so is a new album? Ha OR here is a line/ theme for new song:
You get to pack your bags once.
20 years marriage, maybe twice.
But if pack your bags, say bye, make me think possible, then go.
Edit: I don’t mean IORR/ I meant if you actually do that to your wife often, it’s mean. Sorry. Don’t mind me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-10 23:40 by 35love.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 11, 2019 00:02

Looks like the 2005-2007 period is really no different with setlists than what we have experienced since 2012. The only nice addition to me has been the inclusion of B&L in 2017. New songs, even one or two, make a difference to the show experience. I feel the 2012-present period has been better than 2005-2007.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2019 01:09

timbernardis
GasLightStreet
Doxa
...I checked the other night the setlists from A Bigger Bang tour, and I was surprised how much they actually played from that album during the tour. For the first legs it was from three to four songs, sometimes even five songs, per night and it was not until the last European Leg in 2007 they reduced the amount to two basically. By Stonesian terms that's not much different than they have about always done (some SOME GIRLS being an exception to a rule, really). I had a totally different recollection - like they almost totally neglected the whole album pretty soon on the road.

As the BANG tour progressed they played less and less until it was just a hits review. It was 110 shows over 3 years so - they didn't play anything for that silly movie.

SOME GIRLS they played 7 songs for the most part on the tour.

TATTOO YOU they played 6 for the US tour, 5 for the EU tour. That never changed.

STEEL WHEELS they started with 3 and as the tour got close to its end as many as 6 a few times.

URBAN JUNGLE was 5 to 6.

VOODOO LOUNGE was mostly 5 in 1994, was 3 to 4 in 1995.

BRIDGES in 1997 was 3 early on, four towards the end, with some MSG shows featuring 5. 1998 was 4 to 5, 1999 was 3.

I supposed you could say they've been consistent but by the 2007 BANG tour there was just one song after playing 4 in 2006. That's ridiculous.

I believe it was 145 shows over 2 years, at least according to the tour summative t shirt sold at the 3 concluding shows at the O2.

plexi

147. I confused it for what U2 did for their 360 tour.

Date: January 11, 2019 01:11

timbernardis
Thanks for those details Hairball. So would the 4 basic CDs be the same between the super deluxe and the deluxe?

And there r TWO books? What does each cover?

plexi

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 11, 2019 02:10

Rocky Dijon
It's the only reason I can think Universal would let them book multiple sessions at British Grove, Germano, Henson, and Twin Studios over the last four years with expensive talent like Don Was and Carl Falk and not worry about when they actually deliver a finished product. Heck, our Ian would have fired them dozens of times by now and evicted them if he could. Universal needs a taskmaster like that holding the whip.

Ikr ... and not to mention they paid them at least two million for a record that has yet to have any sort of release time frame ....?

Record Contract, Two Million Plus, Expensive Studio's Booked, Paying The Producer Something Up Front (probably at least 100,000) .. and an engineer (or two) .. some technicians ...

I would of had the execs tell them a couple months ago - - Tour or no tour or whatever else ya-all got cooking has nothing to do with us and we won't see a penny of it .. We wanted an album of originals initially but got something else (Blue & Lonesome) ..and it was great and we all did quite well on that album thankfully ... but that was three years ago. Still nothing solid as to this new album of originals So ...>>>> Agree to deliver the album of originals by July, 2019.... If not ... We're suing. Mayyyyybe that would give them a wake up call ... Seems like they are not getting they are under contract here .. mainly because Universal has been so darn lenient. It is The Rolling Stones ..and they do deserve slack because of who they are ...their legacy (and their age) ... but at some point ya gotta realize.. enough is enough and that there is millions of dollars on the table here.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 02:20 by IanBillen.

Date: January 11, 2019 02:12

Post A BIGGER BANG tour, the reissues with new songs added aside, they've been nothing but a greatest hits show for, well, ever since whenever it was they got it going again, with what should've been called FIFTY LICKS.

There may be some element of freak show involved for a lot of casual fans (the HOT ROCKS/REWIND crowd) considering their reputations for what all they've done, like the mythical blood change, the drugs, of course, or the fictitious palm tree - I would probably wager money on the fact that no casual Stones fan knows anything about the bullshit circus surrounding their worst LP ever ( including the snipping between Mick and Keith about Mick's deplorable solo albums and tour) being behind the age thing: they're so old... this may be the... and on and on and on.

Although Keith has talked romantically about them getting old and doing their thing and dying on stage or whatever, it almost seems as if reality is setting in on his soused brain about the fact that not everyone in the band has his attitude or willingness - and they're all in better health than he is - if you read into his recent statement about the 2019 stadium tour possibly being the last big tour they do of the US. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do a UK/EU tour in 2020 and then call it quits.

Where that leaves a possible new LP probably doesn't matter but one might think if they've got any serious interest in it at all it will be released before they tour in 2020.

Date: January 11, 2019 02:56

35love
Edit: I don’t mean IORR/ I meant if you actually do that to your wife often, it’s mean. Sorry. Don’t mind me.

I don't mind, but I will clarify...I've never packed my bags in "real life" and yes, I've been married over 20 years. I was trying to draw an analogy to my behavior here. Perhaps I should have said I'm like the drunk who swears he's never returning to the corner bar. I doubt Bjornulf thinks about it apart from minor irritation that yet another person requested their account be deleted.

On with the show. Good health to you.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 11, 2019 03:02

Rocky Dijon
35love

I don't mind, but I will clarify...I've never packed my bags in "real life" and yes, I've been married over 20 years. I was trying to draw an analogy to my behavior here. Perhaps I should have said I'm like the drunk who swears he's never returning to the corner bar. I doubt Bjornulf thinks about it apart from minor irritation that yet another person requested their account be deleted.

On with the show. Good health to you.

My humor is off. Maybe I’m trying to get myself kicked off. I know what you mean. This from the gal who muttered ‘sweet jesus’ @ Mick smoking and playing the devil, and bought a photo of it (it’s beautiful tho).

Let’s see what the jazz fest announcement vibe tie in new tunes?
Thanks and sorry Rocky.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 11, 2019 04:24

Does anybody else remember Ronnie Wood’s son saying in late 2015-early 2016, something about having listened to the new album, and it was different than anything they had ever done, and was really gonna take people by surprise? I also remember reading that they had one album finished, and we’re so hyped, they just continued recording for the next album around that same time. I feel like they’ve finished the new album at least five times. Maybe came to the conclusion it was weak and started over. I would’ve preferred to hear 5 weak albums, followed and erased from history by the masterpiece that I feel shall be released in the next year. I’m frustrated by the ridiculous wait time, but I am also planning to be blown away by what they’ve worked on for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 04:25 by nonfilter.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 11, 2019 05:06

Yes I remember those comments...were the two Mick songs released part of that”finished” and different album?

Date: January 11, 2019 07:10

I started to write this, can't remember if I posted it somewhere else, a bunch of things happened quickly and I lost it:

They released Biggest Mistake after the 2006 tour... and never played it on the 2007 tour.

WHY BOTHER!!!!!????

Is that a first? Releasing a single and never playing it on that tour?

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 11, 2019 08:13

The Stones have a licensing deal, I do believe. So the band is footing the bill for recording cost. Not Universal. And they just don’t feel they have enough good songs to run with yet. Hopefully some progress next month. But still a ways off from release.

Rocky Dijon
Haven't a clue about release dates. Just don't buy the "early days yet, clay not formed, go away and leave us alone" responses from Mick, Keith, and Don any more than I believe Charlie and Ronnie attend annual band meetings and tour every year and can say, "Gee, I don't know, I thought it was finished."

You don't overdub Keyon Harrold and backing vocals, much less bring in Carl Falk twice over 12 months apart to add beats to tracks that are nothing more than formless jam sessions.

There are lots of tracks being worked and reworked. It may be they are working on multiple projects or woodshedding for future use when the band is no more. It may be they and Universal determined the best time to release new material is when it is a final statement.

Some of Mick's sessions have been working from his various homes, but all those dates at British Grove and Germano to say nothing of Henson Studios in L.A. or Twin Studios in Paris and the cost of Don Was and Carl Falk's time is costing Universal. I don't think they let them putter around and then say, "gee this isn't anything yet. Oh well, keep doing what you're doing and send us the bill."

Whether it's the press or whether it's the information pipeline within the company, they figured out they want to shut down leaks where possible and control the narrative.

We're not getting the truth. That doesn't mean a new album or an EP before the tour, but things have progressed far more than they're letting on. This disinformation has been the norm from the beginning.

The only wall we've hit that matters is the one keeping our noses out of their business.

Apart from that, we can stick to "Mick has writer's block" or "Mick writes crap songs while Keith is a genius" or "Keith is arthritic and useless." Everyone should be happy to continue posting "the album will never happen, bring on page 500" or blaming everything on "family-time or Mick's cameo in a movie."

I think our collective frustration has more to do with their comments than it does the reality of their progress. Sure we want it now like the spoiled brats we are, but I think our fears that over three years of effort have produced only jam sessions is a blatant fallacy.

Date: January 11, 2019 09:43

nonfilter
Does anybody else remember Ronnie Wood’s son saying in late 2015-early 2016, something about having listened to the new album, and it was different than anything they had ever done, and was really gonna take people by surprise? I also remember reading that they had one album finished, and we’re so hyped, they just continued recording for the next album around that same time. I feel like they’ve finished the new album at least five times. Maybe came to the conclusion it was weak and started over. I would’ve preferred to hear 5 weak albums, followed and erased from history by the masterpiece that I feel shall be released in the next year. I’m frustrated by the ridiculous wait time, but I am also planning to be blown away by what they’ve worked on for so long.

I also remember Keith saying that we will be surprised by this album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 11, 2019 10:54

DandelionPowderman
nonfilter

I also remember Keith saying that we will be surprised by this album.

All this is in contradiction with the suspected presence of old reworked outtakes!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 11, 2019 10:55

He's not wrong.

We'll all be surprised when it comes out .

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 11, 2019 13:52

mpj200
The Stones have a licensing deal, I do believe. So the band is footing the bill for recording cost. Not Universal. And they just don’t feel they have enough good songs to run with yet. Hopefully some progress next month. But still a ways off from release.

Rocky Dijon
Haven't a clue about release dates. Just don't buy the "early days yet, clay not formed, go away and leave us alone" responses from Mick, Keith, and Don any more than I believe Charlie and Ronnie attend annual band meetings and tour every year and can say, "Gee, I don't know, I thought it was finished."

You don't overdub Keyon Harrold and backing vocals, much less bring in Carl Falk twice over 12 months apart to add beats to tracks that are nothing more than formless jam sessions.

There are lots of tracks being worked and reworked. It may be they are working on multiple projects or woodshedding for future use when the band is no more. It may be they and Universal determined the best time to release new material is when it is a final statement.

Some of Mick's sessions have been working from his various homes, but all those dates at British Grove and Germano to say nothing of Henson Studios in L.A. or Twin Studios in Paris and the cost of Don Was and Carl Falk's time is costing Universal. I don't think they let them putter around and then say, "gee this isn't anything yet. Oh well, keep doing what you're doing and send us the bill."

Whether it's the press or whether it's the information pipeline within the company, they figured out they want to shut down leaks where possible and control the narrative.

We're not getting the truth. That doesn't mean a new album or an EP before the tour, but things have progressed far more than they're letting on. This disinformation has been the norm from the beginning.

The only wall we've hit that matters is the one keeping our noses out of their business.

Apart from that, we can stick to "Mick has writer's block" or "Mick writes crap songs while Keith is a genius" or "Keith is arthritic and useless." Everyone should be happy to continue posting "the album will never happen, bring on page 500" or blaming everything on "family-time or Mick's cameo in a movie."

I think our collective frustration has more to do with their comments than it does the reality of their progress. Sure we want it now like the spoiled brats we are, but I think our fears that over three years of effort have produced only jam sessions is a blatant fallacy.

Yes, studio bills go to Promotone. Otherwise, Universal would pay for something they don't own because they just license it from them - and once the licensing deal runs out, it's gone.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 11, 2019 19:16

Quoted from the other thread:

gotdablouse
Wow, maybe that's going to give Mick and Keith a wakeup call !

When Pete Townshend’s management team came to him with a lucrative offer from Live Nation to spend much of 2019 on the road with the Who, he said he’d only agree to it under a single condition. “I said I was not going to sign any contracts unless we have new material,” says Townshend. “This has nothing to do with wanting a hit album. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Who need a new album. It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Nuff said ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2019 20:08

mpj200

That explains quite a few things. They're not under any pressure, they don't have to answer to anybody, and there's no deadline.
And it seems they're budgeting both their time and money towards this goal - a little bit here and a little bit there, with the main focus on making more money by touring.
If it was Universal footing the bill, perhaps the band would spend more time in the studio with a bit more urgency and focus vs. an occasional visit on the random occasion in between family time, etc.

doitywoik
Quoted from the other thread:

gotdablouse
Wow, maybe that's going to give Mick and Keith a wakeup call !

When Pete Townshend’s management team came to him with a lucrative offer from Live Nation to spend much of 2019 on the road with the Who, he said he’d only agree to it under a single condition. “I said I was not going to sign any contracts unless we have new material,” says Townshend. “This has nothing to do with wanting a hit album. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Who need a new album. It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Nuff said ...

thumbs up

Most creative artists would agree with Pete - long live rock!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 11, 2019 20:57

nonfilter
Does anybody else remember Ronnie Wood’s son saying in late 2015-early 2016, something about having listened to the new album, and it was different than anything they had ever done, and was really gonna take people by surprise?

Can't remember that but makes me interested in the aborted album. --- Who knows? Maybe they had a good album done that really pursued new directions, and then they read this thread here with everybody demanding classic Stones, and shelved it? Maybe our own fault in the end? LOL

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...253254255256257258259260261262263...LastNext
Current Page: 258 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home