Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...252253254255256257258259260261262...LastNext
Current Page: 257 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 9, 2019 00:07

Hound Dog
I don't know why they even bother they are clearly not into making new music. A Bigger Bang they seem to just throw together as fast as they could and then barley play any of it on tour. Most of my friends who are Stones fans are pretty much done with them as a current act. Stones seem to be fine with just playing their hits and charging a lot of money to see them. They are kind of everything that Mick says would never become

While I agree with the basic sentiment of this post, I checked the other night the setlists from A Bigger Bang tour, and I was surprised how much they actually played from that album during the tour. For the first legs it was from three to four songs, sometimes even five songs, per night and it was not until the last European Leg in 2007 they reduced the amount to two basically. By Stonesian terms that's not much different than they have about always done (some SOME GIRLS being an exception to a rule, really). I had a totally different recollection - like they almost totally neglected the whole album pretty soon on the road.

Now when Jagger claims that no one wants to listen to their new songs (or something to the effect), all I can conclude that it was the reception of A BIGGER BANG songs that must have had that impact on him. One could even say that he and them tried to play them, but seemingly that didn't work out good enough for their judgment.

Anyway, to be honest, I recall also myself thinking when hearing back then them doing a piece like "Rough Justice" or "Rain Fell Down" that 'yeah, nice them doing new stuff, but what's the next one...' (similar like hearing "Doom&Gloom" more recently or "Don't Stop" during previous tour). There is that some sort of feel that 'yeah, of course, they need to play their recent songs, because that's what they as a living and breathing band supposed to do, but but... it feels like an obligatory thing for a loyal fan to listen them...' I am afraid that that sort of thinking is quite general among their audiences, if we count some true die-hards out.. And even with the latter ones, if they are to be frank, if they could choose if they would hear them to do either, say, some current dontstop or onemoreshot or rainfelldown of the day or, say, some non-played hidden gem from the past, some timewaitsfornoneone or soulsurvivor or slave, I would assume that they would most likely choose a song belonging to the latter category...

It doesn't surprise me that the ringmaster Jagger is quite able to read the signs of his audiences. After performing some "Oh No Not You Again" 40 nights in a row or something, he surely has some kind of idea how the song works live.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 00:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 9, 2019 00:14

Its hard for new songs to sound good live, the old ones are so polished, and it seems that if they record anything new they are all in the studio separately, so they're not really songs that come easy live.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 9, 2019 01:18

Rokyfan
Its hard for new songs to sound good live, the old ones are so polished, and it seems that if they record anything new they are all in the studio separately, so they're not really songs that come easy live.

Yeah, maybe that is true. Personally when I am in a concert I don't care much about the reception in general - I let Jagger worry about that - but that of how the song is working for my ears. And for some reason the new songs - while I would dig them at record - do not generally work very well live (BLUE & LONESOME numbers do not count here). Is that the thinness of the whole song coming apparent or that of the band just failing in treating the potential right, I don't know.

If we go further back (and beyond my personal concert experiences), I think this tendency starts especially in 1989. For example, I have always liked "Sad Sad Sad" as a fresh, energetic opener of STEEL WHEELS (that of it being a sort of 'Stones-by-numbers' not bothering me one bit). But I have never heard a live version of it I wouldn't call boring and breathless and a total throwaway of a show. By contrast, during 1981/82 tour when they rushed up some TATTOO YOU and EMOTIONAL RESCUE numbers a'la "Start Me Up", "Hang Fire", Neighbours", "Let Me Go", "She's So Cold", "Little T&A" they surely didn't top the originals (far from it generally), but still those versions worked and are still exciting to hear.

But then again, there are exceptions to a rule, as always. Especially "Out of Control" comes to mind (I think its best live versions actually top the original). I have also started to appreciate the way as-a-song-boring-as-hell "You Got Me Rocking" works live (took decades though...). Keith's ballads have always worked damn well live as well (it was through them I, for example, started to appreciate "Slipping Away", which initially was a total filler for me in STEEL WHEELS).

A new album?... oh yeah...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 01:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 9, 2019 01:31

Rokyfan
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
December 5-10, 2015 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.
December 11, 2015 - 1st band session for Blue and Lonesome.
December 12, 2015 - band session resumes for upcoming album.
December 14-15, 2015 - band sessions for Blue and Lonesome.
December 16-18, 2015 - band session resumes for the upcoming album.

*Bernard Fowler was present for the last three dates at British Grove above.

April 7 - mid-April 2016 - mixing & overdubbing for Blue and Lonesome.
June 13-26, 2016 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.

mid-February 2017 - Mick & Keith records demos in New York for five days.
March 9, 2017 - Don Was & Keith in New York overdub Keyon Harrold on a track.
late April 2017 - Mick, Ronnie, & Charlie record Mick's "solo" tracks in London.
May 30 - June 9, 2017 - band sessions for the upcoming album in London.
June 28, 2017 - Keith records guitar overdubs in New York.
November 29, 2017 - Keith records a demo in New York.
December 1, 2017 - Mick adds vocals and blues harp in Los Angeles.

February 9, 2018 - Mick is in Paris with Carl Falk for mixing & overdubbing.
February - March 2018 - Mick & Keith record demos in New York for 2 weeks.
March 24, 2018 - Ronnie records overdubs in London.
March 30, 2018 - Mick records overdubs in Mustique.
August 19, 2018 - Mick records a new demo in the South of France.
August 22-23, 2018 - Keith records guitar overdubs in New York.
September 4, 2018 - Mick records overdubs in London.
October 1, 2018 - Mick works on lyrics for new material.
December 2018 - Mick and Ronnie record in Paris for two days.

* Bernard and Darryl record overdubs in Paris in late November/early December.

** most dates are from [timeisonourside.com]

***earlier session with Carl Falk is not reflected. Also, think there's a Mick and Keith session in New York from Autumn 2018 missing.

"early days?" "jam sessions" only? You decide.

Nice! Thank you so much for this research/documentation. Excellent work.

Btw .. I agree .. Never suspected it was still in the 'early stages' (I was just upset at the line .. bc that in turn that was meant to say 'Hey... don't expect the album so soon there folks'...). At any rate ... There is no way it is still in the early stages .. Seems as though they are seriously downplaying things so we don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal.

But what makes anyone think that those sessions have produced any songs they are planning on releasing, much less an album? I think don't expect anything any time real soon is the deal, as you say. Maybe a song or two before the tour.

My friend .. I know a lot of musicians/songwriters .. Three years is a LONG time to be working on something. Three years to be working on something without any worthy songs signifies quitting altogether. It's pretty much disgraceful. That notion is so bad it's basically unheard of .. Im sure they have some songs written or recorded that are album worthy.

If The Rolling Stones cannot come up with any release worthy songs over three years in several writing sessions .. (and on their own) .. I quit and for the record (no pun) .. so should they .. completely!

I'm not saying they have everything they need.. but I am damn sure there is some stuff in there that is record worthy and/or can make it to the record.

Using brass and back-up singers in an overdub usually means the song is a keeper and is being finished. I don't think they are done or that they have enough for a record yet .. obviously .. I'm quite sure they have some record worthy songs by now .. They BETTER lol Geeeesh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 03:17 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 9, 2019 05:31

After the Who released their 1982 album It's Hard, it took them 24 years to finally come up with another new album of originals (*not that they were working on one the entire time).
Taken that into consideration, for the Stones to say "early stages", it's easier to accept. And even at the slow rate they're going, they could have it finished much quicker than the Who's dry spell.
But it's already 14 years and counting, so they better pick up the pace a bit...hoping Keith gets back to the studio after his family time on the island!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 05:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 9, 2019 07:10

I just checked Rocky Dijon’s list (quite impressive research!) - and I think he’s right when saying this is simply too much recording activities for just having come up with a couple of raw jams (in the worst case) or early stages (slightly better case). Unless they really reconsidered everything they did in the past couple of years and came to the conclusion that they should start all over again (which seems unlikely to me in so far as they are seasoned professionals and should know by now how to handle dead end situations), some approach along the lines of “Don’t look behind our curtain” does make sense (whatever the ultimate plan behind it). The list really suggests that there has been more activity than we are made to believe (by whom, actually? Maybe even by ourselves? We can’t really blame them for everything?). Depending on how one counts, the list amounts to maybe something like 3 months of total recording activity. Possibly not enough for them to produce their Dark Side Of The Moon, but certainly enough for a couple of decent tracks. They can’t really still be totally empty-handed.

Doxa
Now when Jagger claims that no one wants to listen to their new songs (or something to the effect), all I can conclude that it was the reception of A BIGGER BANG songs that must have had that impact on him. One could even say that he and them tried to play them, but seemingly that didn't work out good enough for their judgment.
Anyway, to be honest, I recall also myself thinking when hearing back then them doing a piece like "Rough Justice" or "Rain Fell Down" that 'yeah, nice them doing new stuff, but what's the next one...' (similar like hearing "Doom&Gloom" more recently or "Don't Stop" during previous tour). There is that some sort of feel that 'yeah, of course, they need to play their recent songs, because that's what they as a living and breathing band supposed to do, but but... it feels like an obligatory thing for a loyal fan to listen them...' I am afraid that that sort of thinking is quite general among their audiences, ... - Doxa

Well, the way I remember the 2006 show in Vienna, the five songs from ABB were quite well received. But like someone already pointed out, the problem may really be that new songs aren’t written or recorded any longer with the whole band in presence, and that there is no (or very little) “group feel” as to how they might be played best in a live situation (Doom & Gloom always gave me that impression). Also, they don’t seem to be willing to spend a month or two rehearsing and fooling around with new songs when preparing for a tour.
Maybe also our (refers to those among us who aren’t exactly teenagers any longer) attitude changed a bit. When I was around twenty or so, it was just normal that you didn’t know half the songs played at anyone’s concert because you didn’t have the cash to buy all albums by everyone you liked, and there was no youtube etc. anyway. Also, back in the 70s an album per year and sometimes two was rather the norm for most groups so it was hard to keep pace anyway. Meanwhile pace has slowed down considerably with anyone, we have more cash to buy CDs or can check out a lot on youtube in no time, etc., so much of the surprise factor is gone beforehand. Personally, I’m tired of listening to the same songs ever and again (not just in the case of the Stones), and with the Stones I always feel like they never again reached the energy of the 1982 shows or the level of playing of the 1990 shows (talking about Europe, mind you!). I’d love to attend a Stones concert where I don’t know a single song. But that’s me, and for many folks in the audience it may be the first time ever, so they don’t mind the war horses because they had never heard them played live before. And the Stones don’t seem to mind to play them either. Still, I think half a set list of new or rare stuff won’t hurt anyone, if played ... well, right.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 9, 2019 07:53

New entries in bold for those who care about these things.
Trying to be more precise for the revision so I have revised several entries.

Rocky Dijon

April 10 - Mick and Carl Falk session at British Grove.
June 13-26, 2016 - band sessions for the upcoming album at British Grove.

mid-February 2017 - Mick & Keith sessions at Germano for five days.
March 9, 2017 - Don Was & Keith at Germano with Keyon Harrold.
late April 2017 - Mick cuts 2 "solo" tracks in Richmond with Ronnie and Charlie.
May 30 - June 9, 2017 - band sessions at British Grove.
June 28, 2017 - Keith session at Germano Studios.
November 29, 2017 - Keith session at Germano Studios.
December 1, 2017 - Mick session at Henson Studios.

February 9, 2018 - Mick session at Twin Studios with Carl Falk and Matt.
February - March 2018 - Mick & Keith session at Germano for 2 weeks.
March 24, 2018 - Ronnie records overdubs at British Grove.
March 30, 2018 - Mick session in Mustique.
August 19, 2018 - Mick session at The Fork.
August 22-23, 2018 - Keith sessions at Germano.
September 4, 2018 - Mick session in Richmond.
Sept 20-21, 2018 - Mick & Keith session at Germano with Don Was.
December 2018 - Mick and Ronnie sessions at Twin Studios for three days.

* Bernard and Darryl at Twin Studios in late November/early December.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 08:10 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 9, 2019 09:25

A few various and sundry observations, to wit ...

Georgelicks was not the One Foretold by the Prophets of Old, He IS a (latter day) prophet.

Not a single ABB number was on Grrr. I don't understand that. Having said that, I just love Doom and Gloom which I never heard before Vegas '13 and it was a highlight (Hairball weren't u at that show?)AND I didn't hear the studio version til last August and I think it ranks up there with some of their great rockers.

People here, myself included, are too caught up in the "golden age" syndrome. Difficult to be fair to or excited about anything since.

And Hairball, u got ahead of me, but the Who hasn't released any new album (or single?) since almost as long, 2007, and they are still just fantastic live.

plexi

Date: January 9, 2019 10:48

timbernardis

Georgelicks was not the One Foretold by the Prophets of Old, He IS a (latter day) prophet.

Not a single ABB number was on Grrr. I don't understand that. Having said that, I just love Doom and Gloom which I never heard before Vegas '13 and it was a highlight (Hairball weren't u at that show?)AND I didn't hear the studio version til last August and I think it ranks up there with some of their great rockers.

People here, myself included, are too caught up in the "golden age" syndrome. Difficult to be fair to or excited about anything since.

And Hairball, u got ahead of me, but the Who hasn't released any new album (or single?) since almost as long, 2007, and they are still just fantastic live.

plexi

Streets Of Love was included. SOL, Rain Fall Down and Rough Justice as well on the Deluxe-edition.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2019 11:21

Welcome Back, Dandelion !!
Jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 9, 2019 11:57

Rocky Dijon
New entries in bold for those who care about these things.
Trying to be more precise for the revision so I have revised several entries.

Rocky Dijon

April 10 - Mick and Carl Falk session at British Grove.
June 13-26, 2016 - band sessions for the upcoming album at British Grove.

mid-February 2017 - Mick & Keith sessions at Germano for five days.
March 9, 2017 - Don Was & Keith at Germano with Keyon Harrold.
late April 2017 - Mick cuts 2 "solo" tracks in Richmond with Ronnie and Charlie.
May 30 - June 9, 2017 - band sessions at British Grove.
June 28, 2017 - Keith session at Germano Studios.
November 29, 2017 - Keith session at Germano Studios.
December 1, 2017 - Mick session at Henson Studios.

February 9, 2018 - Mick session at Twin Studios with Carl Falk and Matt.
February - March 2018 - Mick & Keith session at Germano for 2 weeks.
March 24, 2018 - Ronnie records overdubs at British Grove.
March 30, 2018 - Mick session in Mustique.
August 19, 2018 - Mick session at The Fork.
August 22-23, 2018 - Keith sessions at Germano.
September 4, 2018 - Mick session in Richmond.
Sept 20-21, 2018 - Mick & Keith session at Germano with Don Was.
December 2018 - Mick and Ronnie sessions at Twin Studios for three days.

* Bernard and Darryl at Twin Studios in late November/early December.

Many thanks Rocky!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 9, 2019 12:53

I KNOW it'll be Don Was producing whatever it is The Stones are doing in the studio but boy they should listen to the self titled Ryan Adams album from a few years back.

SAY what you will about the songs (and I LOVE THEM - A cross between Tom Petty of the 70s and John Mayer and someone else - Chris Isaak..Roy Orbison? - I can't quite pick!) - but the SOUND, the production is simply tremendous. Stunning clarity, lots of air, a nice rumble thru the songs... Yes THIS is what Rock should sound like. Outstanding.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 13:16 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 9, 2019 15:23

I agree bitusa2012.....its the production...someone posted an early version of Let Me Down Slow...and I thought it was brilliant...same could be said of a number like Under The Radar which wasleft off and sounded more purist Stones than what was on the finished album...that's why B & L resonated too....production...let the Stones sound like themselves.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:47

They're in their 70's for christ sakes with nothing to prove. U2 took 3yrs to record and finish their last few records....they probably have tons of songs but Mick is not pleased with the quality so they're still tinkering. My guess is no new traditional album but instead a release of 4-5 of the best new ones via greatest hits like Licks or some other way.
Personally I would rather see new releases of old albums with outtakes and re-recorded songs that were in the can years back like they did on TY. They have probably 50 great songs never released - just go on you tube and you can hear them

Date: January 9, 2019 20:51

timbernardis
I just love Doom and Gloom which I never heard before Vegas '13 and it was a highlight (Hairball weren't u at that show?)

Yes I was there - the last of the great Vegas shows!

I flew in directly from Hawaii to be greeted by a show with Mick Taylor, a 22 song setlist, and the classic MGM Arena ...not to mention dozens of friends! thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 9, 2019 21:57

Narrator (Ron Howard voice):

All the Vegas shows have been great.

Date: January 10, 2019 03:23

timbernardis

Heretic! Good thing for you that plexiglass can't be burned at the stake. We'll have to settle for excommunication.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2019 03:35

Doxa
...I checked the other night the setlists from A Bigger Bang tour, and I was surprised how much they actually played from that album during the tour. For the first legs it was from three to four songs, sometimes even five songs, per night and it was not until the last European Leg in 2007 they reduced the amount to two basically. By Stonesian terms that's not much different than they have about always done (some SOME GIRLS being an exception to a rule, really). I had a totally different recollection - like they almost totally neglected the whole album pretty soon on the road.

As the BANG tour progressed they played less and less until it was just a hits review. It was 110 shows over 3 years so - they didn't play anything for that silly movie.

SOME GIRLS they played 7 songs for the most part on the tour.

TATTOO YOU they played 6 for the US tour, 5 for the EU tour. That never changed.

STEEL WHEELS they started with 3 and as the tour got close to its end as many as 6 a few times.

URBAN JUNGLE was 5 to 6.

VOODOO LOUNGE was mostly 5 in 1994, was 3 to 4 in 1995.

BRIDGES in 1997 was 3 early on, four towards the end, with some MSG shows featuring 5. 1998 was 4 to 5, 1999 was 3.

I supposed you could say they've been consistent but by the 2007 BANG tour there was just one song after playing 4 in 2006. That's ridiculous.

Date: January 10, 2019 07:35

DandelionPowderman
timbernardis

plexi

Streets Of Love was included. SOL, Rain Fall Down and Rough Justice as well on the Deluxe-edition.

I stand corrected. I have only the regular edition, will have to get the deluxe one. BTW, the foto of the disc jacket u posted lists only Streets of Love of those u noted. Is there a fourth disc not shown?

plexi

Date: January 10, 2019 07:47

Rocky Dijon
timbernardis

Heretic! Good thing for you that plexiglass can't be burned at the stake. We'll have to settle for excommunication.

Perhaps a simple banning would do ...

plexi

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2019 07:51

The fourth disc was the 80 track edition.

Date: January 10, 2019 07:56

GasLightStreet
Doxa
...I checked the other night the setlists from A Bigger Bang tour, and I was surprised how much they actually played from that album during the tour. For the first legs it was from three to four songs, sometimes even five songs, per night and it was not until the last European Leg in 2007 they reduced the amount to two basically. By Stonesian terms that's not much different than they have about always done (some SOME GIRLS being an exception to a rule, really). I had a totally different recollection - like they almost totally neglected the whole album pretty soon on the road.

As the BANG tour progressed they played less and less until it was just a hits review. It was 110 shows over 3 years so - they didn't play anything for that silly movie.

SOME GIRLS they played 7 songs for the most part on the tour.

TATTOO YOU they played 6 for the US tour, 5 for the EU tour. That never changed.

STEEL WHEELS they started with 3 and as the tour got close to its end as many as 6 a few times.

URBAN JUNGLE was 5 to 6.

VOODOO LOUNGE was mostly 5 in 1994, was 3 to 4 in 1995.

BRIDGES in 1997 was 3 early on, four towards the end, with some MSG shows featuring 5. 1998 was 4 to 5, 1999 was 3.

I supposed you could say they've been consistent but by the 2007 BANG tour there was just one song after playing 4 in 2006. That's ridiculous.

I believe it was 145 shows over 2 years, at least according to the tour summative t shirt sold at the 3 concluding shows at the O2.

plexi

Date: January 10, 2019 07:57

timbernardis
DandelionPowderman
timbernardis

plexi

I stand corrected. I have only the regular edition, will have to get the deluxe one. BTW, the foto of the disc jacket u posted lists only Streets of Love of those u noted. Is there a fourth disc not shown?

plexi

GRRR! Super Deluxe

80 tracks on 4 CDs including two brand-new tracks
36-page book
Tour poster postcard set
Bonus CD of previously unreleased first ever studio recordings
Previously unreleased 7" vinyl BBC Radio session EP
Rare early poster
96-page hardback A3 book

Currently listed at $149 from an Amazon marketplace seller, I paid only $46.00 back in 2015 from MovieMars-CDs via Amazon.

Date: January 10, 2019 08:00

timbernardis

plexi

I lack the authority and it would hardly suffice in matters of fanaticism. Thank you for trying all the same.

Date: January 10, 2019 08:07

Thanks for those details Hairball. So would the 4 basic CDs be the same between the super deluxe and the deluxe?

And there r TWO books? What does each cover?

plexi

Date: January 10, 2019 08:11

Rocky Dijon
timbernardis

plexi

I lack the authority and it would hardly suffice in matters of fanaticism. Thank you for trying all the same.

Perhaps a report this message to and a conversation with BV is in order then ...

plexi

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 10, 2019 09:04

timbernardis
Rocky Dijon
timbernardis

plexi

Perhaps a report this message to and a conversation with BV is in order then ...

plexi

Thinking about it, working as my mother-in-law's slave for a month could free your soul...

Date: January 10, 2019 09:16

That sounds better provided your mother-in-law makes him suffer for his sins. Bjornulf usually ignores me when I try to talk to him anyway.

Date: January 10, 2019 09:55

timbernardis
Rocky Dijon
timbernardis

plexi

plexi

Are we going «Life Of Brian» now? grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 10, 2019 13:44

Rocky Dijon
That sounds better provided your mother-in-law makes him suffer for his sins. Bjornulf usually ignores me when I try to talk to him anyway.

Don't let him bring you down. He's probably just jealous because you have a cooler user name.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...252253254255256257258259260261262...LastNext
Current Page: 257 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home