Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...249250251252253254255256257258259...LastNext
Current Page: 254 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 3, 2019 15:14

...and the thing with Bowie...is I'm still digesting New Killer Star which is one of his greater latter day songs....the Stones needn't be brought up in this regards...way too much pressure on Mick and Keith hahaha

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2019 20:28

The incredible journey...on the road to nowhere...back to zero...page 254...

doitywoik
KRiffhard
There have been times when this album seemed "almost done" (15 songs recorded, a new single in feb./mar., credits..) and then it becomes "loose jams or raw demos" and last of their priorities.eye rolling smiley

There was only a brief moment when one could hope the album was almost done, most of the time it was reported as in progress, albeit with not much further progress happening, and dwindling hopes for it to take place.

Here are some excerpts (mainly) from georgelick’s reports from the past ~3 years. In May 2016, the estimate was 60-70% done, which is simply somewhere in the middle of it and finishing it could take another two weeks or forever. georgelicks was still more optimistic as to when the album would be released. His estimate then was recorded 10-12 originals in some state or another.

georgelicks
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 15, 2016 02:44

…, they are working on a double album, CD 1 of blues covers (already done) and a second album of originals (about 60-70% done too).
Final recordings and mixes on June, first single on late September, second single on October and album release on late October or early November.
georgelicks
Date: May 5, 2016 03:35

They recorded 2 songs on 3 days on August 2012, we can guess than about 10-12 songs were recorded during the two weeks on December plus 11-12 covers recorded on the first 2 days.
If they record another 2 weeks on June/July plus a week of mixing is enough time, they WON'T SPEND more time on the studio, ….

Roughly a year later we got first reports that what had been recorded up to that point didn’t meet everybody’s expectations, or wasn’t quite to everybody’s liking, respectively. There was still optimism regarding the release of a single, but at the same time it was made clear that one might have to be patient.

georgelicks
Date: June 23, 2017 05:30

The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it', people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs.

There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal.

It was only for a brief moment in July 2017 that it looked like the bulk of the work was done. And maybe it indeed was, and only the band decided to start all over. Note, by the way, that in all our misery we were still lucky to have been spared a compilation of (then) recent live duets … LOL

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:12

… And about the album, I'm told that it's mostly done with mixing and overdubs left, but more than likely it will be released next year, ...

… About the live album, a duets album from 2012-2013 was compiled but never released due to contractual problems with some of the guests. It had the duets with Katy Perry, Dave Grohl, Tom Waits, John Fogerty, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys and Gwen Stefani among others. Too many people, too many diferent record labels, maybe some day, who knows...

The Daily Mail then raised the number to about 15 tracks that sent the Universal execs through only loosely defined emotional states …

KRiffhard
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 1, 2017 13:02

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

georgelicks made things more precise:

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:28

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Personally, I must admit that I’d also like to hear the "rare stuff" with "weird beats".

In Fall (2018) then, also georgelicks turned fully pessimistic, hoping for an EP at best:

georgelicks
The band has over 20 "songs" recorded over the past 2-3 years, but it seems that most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos, we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again.

Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.

Yet, if the material is in a state comparable to the Licks sessions, they could indeed finish the album in a very short time. After all, the Licks sessions are complete songs with still incomplete lyrics and not just loose jams, and Mick is reported to be able to produce lyrics almost on the spot, if necessary. But note again, that’s only georgelick’s guess. And in real life things don’t seem to be that easy.

I think we should keep in mind that we know next to nothing, apart from some cryptic remarks by the band and what georgelicks hears from his man in Universal. Even if we speculate about something for 200 pages, it still remains a speculation.

As for the band’s lack of focus and/or interest, if someone here is good at long-distance hypnosis, this seems like a good time to get active … winking smiley

"Nobody on Universal is expecting nothing new during the first quarterly, actually no one is holding breath anymore,
the whole thing will be done eventually, late 2019 or next year, no deadline anymore...."
- georgelicks, January 02, 2019

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 3, 2019 21:09

The OP clearly gave up...

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 3, 2019 21:23

Hairball

doitywoik
KRiffhard
There have been times when this album seemed "almost done" (15 songs recorded, a new single in feb./mar., credits..) and then it becomes "loose jams or raw demos" and last of their priorities.eye rolling smiley

There was only a brief moment when one could hope the album was almost done, most of the time it was reported as in progress, albeit with not much further progress happening, and dwindling hopes for it to take place.

Here are some excerpts (mainly) from georgelick’s reports from the past ~3 years. In May 2016, the estimate was 60-70% done, which is simply somewhere in the middle of it and finishing it could take another two weeks or forever. georgelicks was still more optimistic as to when the album would be released. His estimate then was recorded 10-12 originals in some state or another.

georgelicks
Date: May 15, 2016 02:44

…, they are working on a double album, CD 1 of blues covers (already done) and a second album of originals (about 60-70% done too).
Final recordings and mixes on June, first single on late September, second single on October and album release on late October or early November.
georgelicks
Date: May 5, 2016 03:35

They recorded 2 songs on 3 days on August 2012, we can guess than about 10-12 songs were recorded during the two weeks on December plus 11-12 covers recorded on the first 2 days.
If they record another 2 weeks on June/July plus a week of mixing is enough time, they WON'T SPEND more time on the studio, ….

Roughly a year later we got first reports that what had been recorded up to that point didn’t meet everybody’s expectations, or wasn’t quite to everybody’s liking, respectively. There was still optimism regarding the release of a single, but at the same time it was made clear that one might have to be patient.

georgelicks
Date: June 23, 2017 05:30

The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it', people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs.

There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal.

It was only for a brief moment in July 2017 that it looked like the bulk of the work was done. And maybe it indeed was, and only the band decided to start all over. Note, by the way, that in all our misery we were still lucky to have been spared a compilation of (then) recent live duets … LOL

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:12

… And about the album, I'm told that it's mostly done with mixing and overdubs left, but more than likely it will be released next year, ...

… About the live album, a duets album from 2012-2013 was compiled but never released due to contractual problems with some of the guests. It had the duets with Katy Perry, Dave Grohl, Tom Waits, John Fogerty, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys and Gwen Stefani among others. Too many people, too many diferent record labels, maybe some day, who knows...

The Daily Mail then raised the number to about 15 tracks that sent the Universal execs through only loosely defined emotional states …

KRiffhard
Date: July 1, 2017 13:02

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

georgelicks made things more precise:

georgelicks
Date: July 1, 2017 20:28

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Personally, I must admit that I’d also like to hear the "rare stuff" with "weird beats".

In Fall (2018) then, also georgelicks turned fully pessimistic, hoping for an EP at best:

georgelicks
The band has over 20 "songs" recorded over the past 2-3 years, but it seems that most of these "songs" are loose jams or raw demos, we can guess that the stuff is very much like the Licks sessions leaked earlier this year and neither, the band/Don Was or Universal, is on board of this stuff, uneven was the word on Universal last year and even Ronnie said something like starting fresh again.

Yet, we can expect a couple of new songs right before the new tour, maybe even an EP of 3-4 songs if they are pleassed with some of the stuff around, that's the best we can hope.

Yet, if the material is in a state comparable to the Licks sessions, they could indeed finish the album in a very short time. After all, the Licks sessions are complete songs with still incomplete lyrics and not just loose jams, and Mick is reported to be able to produce lyrics almost on the spot, if necessary. But note again, that’s only georgelick’s guess. And in real life things don’t seem to be that easy.

I think we should keep in mind that we know next to nothing, apart from some cryptic remarks by the band and what georgelicks hears from his man in Universal. Even if we speculate about something for 200 pages, it still remains a speculation.

As for the band’s lack of focus and/or interest, if someone here is good at long-distance hypnosis, this seems like a good time to get active … winking smiley

"Nobody on Universal is expecting nothing new during the first quarterly, actually no one is holding breath anymore,
the whole thing will be done eventually, late 2019 or next year, no deadline anymore...."

The Licks songs except for Don't Stop were horrendous. If nothing better, than do not publish more songs. However, if that's there songwriting capability these days..... not good.

Date: January 3, 2019 21:51

The official Licks songs including Don't Stop were pretty bad no doubt, though Keith's Losing My Touch was OK.
The unreleased demos were definitely a notch above imo, and better than most of what was on A Bigger Bang.

- 2002 Sessions - Discussion Thread and Info

- Forty Licks Sessions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-03 21:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 3, 2019 22:13

Stones with beats. Good news.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 3, 2019 22:13

Hairball

At least, Universal is still hoping for something, somewhen, while they are still alive.

Let's see what happens first: the new single/EP (not to speak of an album) or page 500 of this thread ... cool smiley

Hairball
The official Licks songs including Don't Stop were pretty bad no doubt, ...
The unreleased demos were definitely a notch above imo, and better than most of what was on A Bigger Bang.

Second that, definitely!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 4, 2019 08:10

Hairball
The official Licks songs including Don't Stop were pretty bad no doubt, though Keith's Losing My Touch was OK.

- Forty Licks Sessions

My take on this:

"The official Licks songs ranged from quite ok, and that's not good or even excellent (Don't Stop) to just about average, though Keith's Losing My Touch was nothing more than a borefest.

The unreleased demos however showed a band going through the motions and indeed losing their touch, all in all demonstrating that the official Licks songs were obviously the best they could possibly come up with at the time.

A Bigger Bang was definitely a notch above imo and proved that it was a wise decision to start almost from scratch again instead of making more use of the previous Licks session, however the album was simply too long and the general impression was marred by the inclusion of too many turds that in better times would have stayed in the vaults."

Just to show how opinions can differ - and that's nothing bad at all!

Date: January 4, 2019 08:16

retired_dog
Hairball

- Forty Licks Sessions

My take on this:

"The official Licks songs ranged from quite ok, and that's not good or even excellent (Don't Stop) to just about average, though Keith's Losing My Touch was nothing more than a borefest.

The unreleased demos however showed a band going through the motions and indeed losing their touch, all in all demonstrating that the official Licks songs were obviously the best they could possibly come up with at the time.

A Bigger Bang was definitely a notch above imo and proved that it was a wise decision to start almost from scratch again instead of making more use of the previous Licks session, however the album was simply too long and the general impression was marred by the inclusion of too many turds that in better times would have stayed in the vaults."

"Losing my touch" the most boring song ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 10:11 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 08:17

KRiffhard
retired_dog
Hairball

- Forty Licks Sessions

My take on this:

"Losing my touch" the most boring song aver!

IS THAT like a cadaver? Then WE ARE ALL ASLEEP, not just the Stones!

Rod

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 4, 2019 09:20

Losing my touch ..i really love this one.great lyrics.
Jeroen

Date: January 4, 2019 10:18

bitusa2012
KRiffhard
retired_dog
Hairball

- Forty Licks Sessions

My take on this:

"Losing my touch" the most boring song aver!

IS THAT like a cadaver? Then WE ARE ALL ASLEEP, not just the Stones!

"Losing my touch" and "Anyway you look at it" are perfect to sleep!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 4, 2019 16:43

Losing my Touch:
Prophetic or not ?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 4, 2019 16:55

"Losing My Touch" or building a song out of a line from "Slipping Away." See: "Only Found Out Yesterday" (instrumental) under the sub-heading Derivatives in the entry for "Thru and Thru" in The Rolling Stones Encyclopedia.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 4, 2019 18:33

The new album wont be here before June 2020.
So..relax.
Jeroen

Date: January 4, 2019 18:46

corriecas
The new album wont be here before June 2020.
So..relax.
Jeroen

I'm start thinking that you're right...sad smiley

Date: January 4, 2019 19:39

Title of thread should be changed again to...

New Stones album?

Date: January 4, 2019 22:53

Hairball
Title of thread should be changed again to...

New Stones album?

Use "Old, New, Borrowed & Blue" instead...

...because in case they can't get a an album of all-new originals together, that will be most likely what we will get:

A mixture of a handful of reworked outtakes and new originals, rounded up with cover tunes and whatever leftovers they may have from Blue & Lonesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 22:54 by retired_dog.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: January 4, 2019 23:19

Losing my touch have to be the worst Stonessong ever.Just dreadful boring

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 4, 2019 23:31

254 pages to talk about nothing, this is the reason why I usually avoid intervening in a discussion that talks about something that still does not exist! But there will be a new album I'm sure ... but I'm not in a hurry, I learned to wait. After all, in 1982 I thought I would never see the Stones again and if someone had told me that in 2018 they would still be on tour I would have taken him for crazy.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: January 5, 2019 00:53

I never understood the hate for "Don't Stop". It's a well-crafted song. Pure Pop perfection. The video is pretty sweet too. If they could write new tunes like this again I'd be quite satisfied.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 5, 2019 08:30

Rocky Dijon
You act as if BLUE AND LONESOME was a huge commercial and critical disappointment just two years ago. It wasn't. FROM THE VAULT and the like are aimed at the loopy diehard fans like us. That's the sort of release that is hit and miss. The rest is for us + normal people who don't worry that it's January 2nd and there isn't an update yet. The same demographic that made the EXILE ON MAIN STREE reissue a success and have seen surprisingly strong and consistent sales for Universal over much of the past decade. Their career may be just about over, but their commercial clout continues.

Not only was it not any sort of disappointment .. It was actually a hit and much more of a seller than perhaps was expected. Blue & Lonesome turned out to be a 'surprise hit' .. that garnished attention even The Stones and their camp didn't quite plan on. As far as statistically .. it sold very well.. and for quite a while.

And deservingly so .. Is a 'special' album ... Quite a treat.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 5, 2019 09:40

I love Don't Stop, especially after the way it was featured in Four Flicks. It is a theme that has resonated from then til now and will continue to do so til the band is no more ...

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 5, 2019 09:46

Hairball, who is Georgelicks and what does he know anyway? And what do we know about his Universal contact/exec/whatever?

plexi

Date: January 5, 2019 10:03

...from "almost done" to "early stages".
The mistery continues!

Date: January 5, 2019 10:40

KRiffhard
The mistery continues!

"Back To Zero" so to speak...

Date: January 5, 2019 10:48

Bungo
I never understood the hate for "Don't Stop". It's a well-crafted song. Pure Pop perfection. The video is pretty sweet too. If they could write new tunes like this again I'd be quite satisfied.

"Hate" is a term that's simply overused these days. Let's say "Don't Stop" doesn't excite me like, for example, "Gimme Shelter" once did (and still does). Does this make me "hate" the former?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 5, 2019 10:48

....no comparison between these two..."Anyway you look at it" is zero but "losing my touch" is a song with style....!

Date: January 5, 2019 10:53

retired_dog
KRiffhard
The mistery continues!

"Back To Zero" so to speak...

smiling smiley

November, 2016
"Half an album" of new material (6/7 new songs)

...after some sessions and more than 20 songs recorded...

November, 2019
"Early stages"

You know, something's not right here!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-05 12:02 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 5, 2019 13:55

honestly – is there anybody who really believes that we will seen a new album in 2019?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...249250251252253254255256257258259...LastNext
Current Page: 254 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home