Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...243244245246247248249250251252253...LastNext
Current Page: 248 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 20, 2018 11:35

Thanks for sharing. I actually like the idea of just Mick and Ronnie working on things - I always thought that Ronnie having some more say in the creation of new material would be good.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 20, 2018 14:09

Rockman
Hey Bill ... can ya find out if Charlie wrote any songs this time 'round ….

He'll do a cover of Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, and Little Drummer Boy as a Xmas release winking smiley

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: December 21, 2018 00:41

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen
Also seems they are trying to let material evolve ... or grow by nipping at them in spurts and at intervals as opposed to grinding on them continuously.

Considering the little amount of time they spend in the studio - especially together - this slow evolution process is something even Charles Darwin would get impatient with!
But clearly they're in no hurry - as georgelicks stated: "They are old and not inspired anymore", "With a 19 warhorse loaded setlist there's no room or need of new stuff",
and "They are a "brand" not a "band" anymore, a new album is another item to sell and way less important than a t-shirt".

Speaking of which, looking forward to receiving my new black on black Stones shirt - should be here any day now!thumbs up

Hmmmm I sort of disagree in a light. Seems Mick and Keith have met several times in writing for this ...

and Georgelicks also stated they didn't want this album to be generic and that they wanted / wanted it to be very good of high standards and that they were not willing to settle if the material wasn't that way.

That also came from Georgelicks.

My only issue was they didn't spend much time 'as a band' working on it (as you mentioned 'together')?

at least not tomy knowledge. Sure Charlie claims they did a good handful of seperate sets of sessions but other than that as a band they surely were
not in there a whole heck of a lot. At least that's the way I get it.

georgelicks also said:

"There's no need for a full album, but a couple of new songs each year is great IMO, the Stones' album catalog won't get hurt with that, it's not a full album, so I really don't get it.
With only 3-4 days in the studio each year, no more than that, they can record 2 songs quick and simple, just like Doom And Gloom and One More Shot, and release it right before each tour..."

Seeing as they can't seem to complete a full album in it's entirety for whatever reasons, I would tend to agree with georgelicks. One or two new songs prior to the upcoming tour would be great (and better than nothing),
and after that they could continue to record and release completed songs that they're happy with. But in reality, hard to say if they even really care about releasing new music.

I beleive it was also stated there were completed songs that were supposed to go on the album originated from before 2015 .. some complete songs since 2015 and some completed last year and this year and that they planned on releasing three singles etc.

You kno ... we actually don't know what they have.. there are all kinds of reports, you see. 40 songs... 20 ...12 .. 6 ... etc. Woody just stated that they (Mick and Keith) are going over 12 or so just last month. We have had reports of 40 ...12 ....6 ...20 ... etc. etc.

If you spend three weeks writing songs with someone and the band has worked three weeks and both of the song writers write on their own aside from all that

It's hard to conceive they wouldn't have completed songs or not enough material.

If they haven't accumulated enough completed songs in over three years time or if they still are in the rough demo stage (Keiths full of BS) I'd have to advise them to just hang it up.

Probably much more to the story than any of us know... Just my lousy two bits ha
Let material evolve......hmmm....seems they are trying to let material die of old age...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2018 05:54

Rocky Dijon
I shared what I was told Ronnie shared. I asked if I could post it and was told yes. I asked a few questions to follow-up and didn't get a response, which is typical. So I don't know anything other than this.

I'll be curious if Soldatti (georgelicks) or Bjornulf hear anything that confirms or invalidates any of it.

What I specifically asked was about the EP. Since that appears to have been broken by The Sun I asked if it came direct from the Jagger clan. I also asked if the EP was still happening or if finishing the album was still a possibility. No response.

If the unfinished material was what I was told from the same source more than a year ago, the oldest material is from STEEL WHEELS with the rest of it culled directly from Don Was' time which makes sense since it is apparently Don pushing for them to include some reworked outtakes amid "new" compositions.

Time will tell if this is correct. The person I spoke to does have a Stones connection, but I realize that still isn't a 100% guarantee of anything.

I hope they don't forget "High or Low"(recorded in 2001 with Sheryl Crow) and the songs recorded with Jack White:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: December 21, 2018 06:01

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
I shared what I was told Ronnie shared. I asked if I could post it and was told yes. I asked a few questions to follow-up and didn't get a response, which is typical. So I don't know anything other than this.

I'll be curious if Soldatti (georgelicks) or Bjornulf hear anything that confirms or invalidates any of it.

What I specifically asked was about the EP. Since that appears to have been broken by The Sun I asked if it came direct from the Jagger clan. I also asked if the EP was still happening or if finishing the album was still a possibility. No response.

If the unfinished material was what I was told from the same source more than a year ago, the oldest material is from STEEL WHEELS with the rest of it culled directly from Don Was' time which makes sense since it is apparently Don pushing for them to include some reworked outtakes amid "new" compositions.

Time will tell if this is correct. The person I spoke to does have a Stones connection, but I realize that still isn't a 100% guarantee of anything.

I hope they don't forget "You got it made", "High or Low"(recorded in 2001 with Sheryl Crow) and the songs recorded with Jack White:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 22, 2018 06:59

Spot on mate. Roll on February.

Rocky Dijon
The recent Paris session was just Mick and Ronnie building on what Mick and Keith did in New York a few months ago. Ronnie said the majority of the material is Mick's songs that the others have worked on as they go. He said Keith has a few songs as well. He did confirm they are reworking some old unfinished outtakes as Don Was has wanted. Keith may do some more work in New York before the band gets back together in late February for what should be the final set of sessions.

No, he didn't tell me. I don't know Ronnie. Yes, I got it from someone who does know him. Yes, they know I'm sharing it. So take it as PR-approved damage control or smart free publicity, but it's also almost certainly reliable.

Corrections or denials from georgelicks or Bjornulf are welcome. I have no stake in this except as a fan.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 22, 2018 07:39

mpj200

Thank you very much for that, mpj200. I did a lot of second-guessing after posting it, worried I was led down a blind alley.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-22 07:39 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 22, 2018 07:50

Rocky Dijon
mpj200

Thank you very much for that, mpj200. I did a lot of second-guessing after posting it, worried I was led down a blind alley.
It certainly validates these 248 pages of longing, to have a piece of info that actually sounds real.

Date: December 22, 2018 11:54

Palace Revolution 2000
Rocky Dijon
mpj200

It certainly validates these 248 pages of longing, to have a piece of info that actually sounds real.

I hope march-april for the first single.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 22, 2018 12:20

Lorenz
Thanks for sharing. I actually like the idea of just Mick and Ronnie working on things - I always thought that Ronnie having some more say in the creation of new material would be good.

Ronnies albums are quite good

Date: December 22, 2018 12:31

Lorenz

I think his contribution will be the usual "Hey Ronnie...i need a solo on that part"

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 22, 2018 13:09

Lorenz

Ronnie having a say in the Rolling Stones??? - joke of the year!!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 22, 2018 13:22

Ronnie has no say in the Stones at all. He just does what Keef n Mick tell him to do. Thats why is more interested in painting,releasing very expensive books and changing dipers.
I love Ronnie , but he has no influence in rhe Stones music or direction at all.
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2018 18:45

Looking forward to a new tune prior to the tour, maybe an EP during the tour, and might be asking too much but maybe a whole album sometime after the tour. February could be the "sink or swim" session when they're all in the studio together - maybe they can record outdoors where there's no walls to hit! Also wondering if Keith will get back at it alone prior to that meeting as had been mentioned. Seems his input thus far has been minimal as far as actual songs brought to the table (a majority of them are Mick songs)- in a way similar to his minimal role playing on Blue and Lonesome, and also his toned down role on stage these days.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2018 22:00

They certainly have plenty of worthy material leftover from the VOODOO sessions based on what I've listened to. Can't speak for STEEL WHEELS or BRIDGES or A BIGGER BANG, which, from what I understand, has nothing left over. The only comment about the LICKS sessions is... they put the best on FORTY LICKS? That pretty much sums up that the rest is good enough for a box set of unfinished tracks... etc. How good, eh, but probably no worse than anything from 1977 through 1983.

Date: December 22, 2018 22:08

gotdablouse
10, or 50% of the setlist, easily. The problem is that after 6 years of touring with no new album it would seem very strange and they only have themselves to blame for that, the lack of a new album and the lack of variety in their setlists. And the more it lasts, the worse it gets and then one day, potentially any day now it will be too late...and it won't matter anymore, so why bother?

Aside from them playing the best of HOT ROCKS and REWIND, which they've been doing for 12 years now, as they did last year, they could throw in some other songs, to which a wish list from us is extremely diverse but they did show some interest in their non-hits catalog by playing, say, Dancing With Mr D.

There are so many unplayed songs, if they were to do that for 2019 chances are it would be anything between 1968 and 1981. Fine. But there are some tunes from 1983 onward that they could throw in, like Tie You Up or She Saw Me Coming - something interesting, not just 'eh, here's something we haven't done before' and it's a total bore.

Date: December 22, 2018 23:01

I dont have a good feeling about it anymore. I mean..If the input from Keith is minimal and there have not been many Band sessions in the studio..
Im not really interested in Micks demos. Least of all when Matt is involved.there will be 2 or 3 good songs but the rest.. On the other hand..the old @#$%& might surprise us one last time
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-22 23:01 by corriecas.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 22, 2018 23:41

Don Was's latest statement is that Mick & Keith are / have been writing about four songs a day 'together' .. ....

So .. now .. does this <finally> put an end to the <Hit A Wall> theory.

Lol .. Again .. I'm quite sure some days they wrote a song .. some days four. Some days simply worked on others .. I'm also sure one (or more sessions) they hit a dead spot .. My point is ya can't take every single line being it positive or negative and live by it.

They are writing fine together .. and I'm quite sure they have amassed plenty of material .. stemming from Micks songs he brought in .. all the songs Mick and Keith wrote together .. a few from sessions past etc.

A. They have enough material .. making it really good is the tricky part.

B. They are writing fine together and I'm sure have been for the past couple years.

Not saying any of this guarantees a great album because nothing is guaranteed. However the negatives that have been repeated over and over such as the 'Hit the wall' (I mean geeze .. you had people here claiming they cannot write anything anymore based on that one sentence alone ... yeeesh)...

Things are fine in those departments I'm quite sure (As Don Was states). Now.. let's hope the album and those songs are damn good is all. Just a waiting game at this point. Unless February something really bad happens at the sessions .. all is well .. careful mind you .. but well.

That's all.

Ian

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 22, 2018 23:46

I love KR’s playing on Blue and Lonesome. It’s very wise. Ronnie’s stuff is good too.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 23, 2018 00:03

Writing some lyrics on the plane, maybe?

"Next to David on the plane and they had a chat about cricket!"

[www.instagram.com]

Date: December 23, 2018 00:17

Iaan Billen
Don Was's latest statement is that Mick & Keith are / have been writing about four songs a day 'together' .. ....
So .. now .. does this <finally> put an end to the <Hit A Wall> theory.

If you're referring to this ( Don Was), keep in mind Don Was said that back in 2005...over 13 years ago!!!!
In other words, "the wall" exists, it's damn real, and it shouldn't be downplayed lol - we can only hope they've been able to smash through it!!!

Cristiano Radtke
Writing some lyrics on the plane, maybe?

"Next to David on the plane and they had a chat about cricket!"

[www.instagram.com]

Maybe a crossword puzzle?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 23, 2018 00:52

Mick has his reading specs on? Must be something important.
Completing his self assessment tax return perhaps.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 23, 2018 01:24

Thank you Cristiano I appreciate it I do.

Posted by: dave9199 ()
Date: December 23, 2018 03:54

IanBillen

So .. now .. does this put an end to the theory.

Lol .. Again .. I'm quite sure some days they wrote a song .. some days four. Some days simply worked on others .. I'm also sure one (or more sessions) they hit a dead spot .. My point is ya can't take every single line being it positive or negative and live by it.

They are writing fine together .. and I'm quite sure they have amassed plenty of material .. stemming from Micks songs he brought in .. all the songs Mick and Keith wrote together .. a few from sessions past etc.

A. They have enough material .. making it really good is the tricky part.

B. They are writing fine together and I'm sure have been for the past couple years.

Not saying any of this guarantees a great album because nothing is guaranteed. However the negatives that have been repeated over and over such as the 'Hit the wall' (I mean geeze .. you had people here claiming they cannot write anything anymore based on that one sentence alone ... yeeesh)...

Things are fine in those departments I'm quite sure (As Don Was states). Now.. let's hope the album and those songs are damn good is all. Just a waiting game at this point. Unless February something really bad happens at the sessions .. all is well .. careful mind you .. but well.

That's all.

Ian

HA! My joke got into this thread! I figured some humor was needed after 248 pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-23 03:54 by dave9199.

Date: December 23, 2018 04:09

dave9199
HA! My joke got into this thread! I figured some humor was needed after 248 pages.

smiling smiley

Still waiting for Ian to squirm his way out of this one lol...that entire last post of his is based on a 13 year old thread!

"Don Was's latest statement is that Mick & Keith are / have been writing about four songs a day 'together' .. ....
So .. now .. does this <finally> put an end to the <Hit A Wall> theory."
grinning smiley

But seriously, all this talk of a new album is quite exciting even though this endless thread is over two years old and will probably go on forever!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 23, 2018 18:43

Isn't the definition of insanity something like "Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result"? Does that qualify the Stones as insane since they keep hiring the disastrous Don Was?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2018 22:18

The definition of insanity might also be regularly discussing new work from a band you stopped enjoying 25 years ago if you truly consider their recorded output over those 25 years to be "disastrous."

Date: December 23, 2018 22:24

potus43
Isn't the definition of insanity something like "Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result"? Does that qualify the Stones as insane since they keep hiring the disastrous Don Was?

No. It's not.

Date: December 23, 2018 22:27

potus43

if you dont like the band or this site, FO.
jeroen

Date: December 23, 2018 22:32

potus43

Your ignorance about "insanity" befits you name. Here, learn something:

in·san·i·ty

the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.

synonyms: mental illness, madness, dementia; More
lunacy, instability;
mania, psychosis;
informal craziness

extreme foolishness or irrationality.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...243244245246247248249250251252253...LastNext
Current Page: 248 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10