Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...234235236237238239240241242243244...LastNext
Current Page: 239 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 7, 2018 00:08

I don’t care if the ‘record company’ has a boutique or not,
I imagine if the Glimmers were complained to,
they’d say FU
the reported $2 mil advance cut 1/2 or 1/4
Please. That’s Jagger’s annual florist bill.
And the ‘executives’ who ‘didn’t report on them’
I don’t think they know jack.
It makes me think of Jimmy Iovine saying in his Brooklyn accent:
‘What, you think this is like Keith and Mick?’

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-07 00:09 by 35love.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 7, 2018 00:30

Sometimes I think we're all just characters in hopkins' imagination.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 7, 2018 01:30

Maybe hopkins's imagination can can also project us the new album? smoking smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:04

Many songs recorded for Sticky Fingers, including several Keith riffs and motifs, were held back and finished up for Exile. Bent Green Needles became Sweet Black Angel, for instance. Sweet Virginia was recorded during the SF sessions. It wasn’t really until Goats Head Soup that Keith’s contributions started to flag, and that may well be because of Mick spending more time with Bianca.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:10

thanks hairball; cool update.
well on sympthay; i'd say that's a real toe tapper.
i kinda dig the lyrics in a way too.
clever bastid ain't he, that bill.
right after jjf he set to work on this one;
his hard work shows.
he was exhausted mates...
he could hardly hold the bass.
keith, well, the pirate does show his warm kitty side now and again...
,,,he said,. bill you wrote the damn thing; just like flash.
it's a flippin' mastesrpiece, you know who's gonna take the credit anyway...
just relax mate; gimee that fender i'll follow the root note all boinga doinga oinga thruout; you rest up...
little movie star 'wrote' somesthinh in austrailia he says is a hit..
hawwwwweewew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:39

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
guyrachel
Rocky Dijon the name says it all, abusive cynical it’s so easy to see why people lose interest in this site, because people like you continually shove their boring opinions relentlessly down everyone’s throats. I enjoy Micks albums enormously, and I enjoy Keith’s enormously, and they are different and complimentary. They are better together IMO. But find other things to say! I loved Doxa’s writing about Sticky, fascinating! More please!

What on earth is this? What did I miss? confused smiley

Not sure, but it made me laugh. I think some of it is misunderstood humor since I had just done a post sending up the madness of the new album and all of our (including my own) reactions to it. I'm not upset, though I'm not sure if guyrachel knows the "abusive, cynical" name was one Mick or Keith thought of in the first place.

HUMOUR?! You should have told us, you may not be upset but I am!

Even though I'm laughing on the outside, I'm crying on the inside...or something.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:40

I still think album is coming and more work has been done then they’re letting on. I have nothing to fall back on except my gut. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been recording in bits and spirts since 2011.

Date: December 7, 2018 02:41

keithsman
Witness
keithsman
retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
By contrast, his earlier solo albums decades ago were made in totally different circumstances. TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER were, like Rocky Dijon pointed out above, more easily translatable into Rolling Stones music, which is to say, if in those albums one starts to miss the missing voice and contribution of Mick Jagger, in CROSSEYED HEART one does not. Probably for that reason it reflects the sort of maturity, which I believe a Rolling Stones album can never do. Mick Jagger will never allow that (thank goodnessgrinning smiley).

- Doxa

Sorry to correct you, but that was me, not Rocky!

Sorry retired dog! I should have checked that or written "some cool and insightful poster I admire very much" instead... I go quickly to edit my post..

- Doxa

Ha, ha, that's probably too much honour for an old bugger like me! However, the admiration is mutual - as you may have noticed, I have already been called "one of Doxa's poodles" here by an entertaining chap...

So so sorry retired dog, i did indeed call you Doxa's poodle but i was confusing you with another poster who just chimes in after Doxa with nothing to say for himself, no naming names..
I was going to apologize before but the opportunity didn't arrive.

What you and Doxa have is more of a mutual admiration society,winking smiley you are no poodle, very good at conversing in an articulate manner on your own dear chap.

You take it upon yourself, keithsman, to tell us that another poster, according to you, has nothing to say for himself. How do you really know? However, if that is your attitude, maybe you ought to express your apology above for instance in German and French as well, to show that you are comfortable with giving your views in what for you probably will be second languages. Hopefully you may learn something thereby.

There may be present posters (or readers abstaining from becoming posters) with more nuanced points of view that they find difficulty in expressing, without having needed to write so long posts that they are afraid those posts risk be left unread, especially when they would be formulated in a second language. Then a compromise for them may be to agree to a large extent with posts from a rich and eloquent writer like Doxa, himself, as we know, masterfully expressing himself in a second language. I find that legitimate. Such quotes may serve as a basis for their own views.

To think that your post comes from someone obsessed with a writer's block is quite an irony.

On the contrary i welcome posters who are not articulate, i am dyslexic but have really improved since the internet, since posting on iorr my writing has improved considerably.
I want new posters to say more and i'm certainly not a snob, i have never picked anyone up on their English since i have been here.
I was addressing retired dog and told him i confused him with another poster when i called him Doxas poodle, pointing out that i enjoy retired dogs and Doxas posts in not a slant or criticism on other less articulate posters.

Does Doxa have any poodles that are female?

And if he does, what do we call them?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:50

The Stones have painted themselves into a corner with this album in the sense that now it HAS to be REALLY good ... Otherwise to their fans their reputation
will be eh .. pretty spent.

If they release something even simply 'good' after all this crazy long a wait, re-plans, teasers etc etc will simply not do it.

People, fans, even journalists are now (<in their own way) calling them out about all their postponements concerning it. They are stuck .. If they dont release anything their reputation as having any substance still beyond a greatest hits show will be gone.

If they release something simply good .. it will be a let-down and folks will say 'it took over three years and some change to simply give us another standard / good album? That's pretty poor considering the time line.

Considering how long and all the postponements now they HAVE to deliver something remarkable .. and guess what.. they know it -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-07 02:53 by IanBillen.

Date: December 7, 2018 02:51

The only part of Doxa's Poodle that I truly loved was that it was said to Retired Dog. It's like calling Hairball a mangy cat. It was too perfect to be upset by.

That said, treaclefingers has a good point. Doxa's Poodles should be three gorgeous, shapely private eyes in skintight clothing who left the police academy out of frustration. "Now they work for me. My name is Doxa."

...or something.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: December 7, 2018 03:05

I have no idea what any of you are talking about 1/2 the time it’s okay it probably goes both ways.

Really, I take what they give. Is this not what creativity is? Give it or not.
I have no feelings or demands on this purported new music.

I’m nuts from seeing them in concert, but this I’m okay on LOL

Date: December 7, 2018 03:41

BTW, that was a real quote from gifted the Jimmy Iovine.
The respect it paid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2018 04:20

IanBillen
The Stones have painted themselves into a corner with this album in the sense that now it HAS to be REALLY good ... Otherwise to their fans their reputation

If they release something even simply 'good' after all this crazy long a wait, re-plans, teasers etc etc will simply not do it.

People, fans, even journalists are now (<in their own way) calling them out about all their postponements concerning it. They are stuck .. If they dont release anything their reputation as having any substance still beyond a greatest hits show will be gone.

If they release something simply good .. it will be a let-down and folks will say 'it took over three years and some change to simply give us another standard / good album? That's pretty poor considering the time line.

Considering how long and all the postponements now they HAVE to deliver something remarkable .. and guess what.. they know it -

Hi Ian. thumbs up Interesting post as always.

The question remains, will they be able to live up to expectations under the weight of all this pressure?!!!

As for me, I'd be happy with a new single prior to the upcoming tour...for the time being anyways.
After that, I expect the next Exile on Main Street by the end of the year at the latest!!!
Tear down the @#$%& wall!!!

winking smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 7, 2018 04:29

IanBillen

Rubbish.

Their reputation is written in stone. Whether they ever release an album of new material will hane zero effect on it. They don't HAVE to do anything. A handful of people will be disappointed if no new album is ever done

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 7, 2018 04:51

Rokyfan

Rubbish.

Their reputation is written in stone. Whether they ever release an album of new material will hane zero effect on it. They don't HAVE to do anything. A handful of people will be disappointed if no new album is ever done

Most spot on post in the whole painful thread.

Date: December 7, 2018 05:51

Rocky Dijon
The only part of Doxa's Poodle that I truly loved was that it was said to Retired Dog. It's like calling Hairball a mangy cat. It was too perfect to be upset by.

That said, treaclefingers has a good point. Doxa's Poodles should be three gorgeous, shapely private eyes in skintight clothing who left the police academy out of frustration. "Now they work for me. My name is Doxa."

...or something.

but my point is gorgeous or not, if they're female dogs they're technically bitches. Doxa's bitches.

I was too polite to say it the first time but what the...heck.

Date: December 7, 2018 06:40

Whereas Doxa's Poodles made me think of Charlie's Angels. I was a kid in the seventies and remember other kids with Charlie's Angels lunch boxes. Well one man's bitches are another man's Angels, I suppose. While sexist, I'm at least the nice guy for a change. I think.

I'll let the critics' section decide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-07 06:41 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 7, 2018 14:11

Rocky Dijon

...or something.

Well, the only aspect that did upset me (...a tad bit!) was the fact that keithsman chose the term "poodle", a synonym for an usually silly-looking, harmless elderly lady's pet or playtool, a bit old-fashioned at that... I mean, "Doxa's sheep dog" or even "Doxa's bloodhound", that would have been something, but "poodle"??? Are these even dogs in the truest sense of the word? Can they bite? Even their barking sounds silly and harmless! But when keithsman apologized and said that he'd mistaken me with someone else, the underlying feeling of not be taken seriously, being considered as harmless quickly faded away. Yeah, it was a bit of relief... But, still, Doxa should be concerned. "Elderly ladies", "harmless dogs"...well, if that was what keithsman really had in mind...but what do we know?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-07 14:14 by retired_dog.

Date: December 7, 2018 15:21

Might be because "Keithettes" was used to diminish authority or belittle Keith-fans earlier?

Like feminine qualities should be any poorer than the masculine ones. What utter bullocks. I'm a proud Keithette. A Mickette, too, btw smoking smiley

Date: December 7, 2018 15:32

35love
I have no idea what any of you are talking about 1/2 the time it’s okay it probably goes both ways.

Really, I take what they give. Is this not what creativity is? Give it or not.
I have no feelings or demands on this purported new music.

I’m nuts from seeing them in concert, but this I’m okay on LOL

LOL, Man, do I love that post.

Enough with the whole 'Doxa's poodle'. It was said in malice.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2018 17:40

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
guyrachel
Rocky Dijon the name says it all, abusive cynical it’s so easy to see why people lose interest in this site, because people like you continually shove their boring opinions relentlessly down everyone’s throats. I enjoy Micks albums enormously, and I enjoy Keith’s enormously, and they are different and complimentary. They are better together IMO. But find other things to say! I loved Doxa’s writing about Sticky, fascinating! More please!

What on earth is this? What did I miss? confused smiley

Not sure, but it made me laugh. I think some of it is misunderstood humor since I had just done a post sending up the madness of the new album and all of our (including my own) reactions to it. I'm not upset, though I'm not sure if guyrachel knows the "abusive, cynical" name was one Mick or Keith thought of in the first place.

HUMOUR?! You should have told us, you may not be upset but I am!

Even though I'm laughing on the outside, I'm crying on the inside...or something.

Well, I'm crying on the side... or something.

Date: December 7, 2018 17:46

Bashlets
I still think album is coming and more work has been done then they’re letting on. I have nothing to fall back on except my gut. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been recording in bits and spirts since 2011.

You could fall back on this:

What have you been up to?
Lately, uhh, not a lot. Mick and I got together for a few days a month or so ago in the studio, just playing around. Apart from that, there might be a session sometime in December, but I’m not crossing my fingers on that.

How was the session with Mick?
It was great, man. We knocked out a few songs together with [producer] Don Was. We’re just working things through. We had a great time — got some nice stuff out of it.

Do you have any idea when you might put that record out?
Oh man, no. Like I say, early stages. I would say if I’m looking at it, we’re going to do this tour, so maybe this time next year, I would say. Maybe. That looks like a reasonable projection.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Obviously this new album, just like the 2019 tour, will be the last one - if the album even gets done. Until then A BIGGER BANG remains their last original album, which Billboard reported at the time they were saying it was. So far they are right, in terms of an original album, anyway.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 7, 2018 22:01

DandelionPowderman
Might be because "Keithettes" was used to diminish authority or belittle Keith-fans earlier?

Like feminine qualities should be any poorer than the masculine ones. What utter bullocks. I'm a proud Keithette. A Mickette, too, btw smoking smiley

Was it? Really? My memory is not what it used to be...

Let's talk about feminine qualities! Uhm, better not, we would quickly get another 10 OT pages here. I consider myself a Stonesette, btw. It's ok imo if someone has a favourite band member, but I find it rather funny if this leads to taking sides in band internal rivalry or problems which may be true, but could also as well be constructed by a clever PR strategy...

So back to the new album! Anyone? Rocky? Georgelicks?

Date: December 7, 2018 22:10

Me? I like Mick and Keith solo. I don't really understand liking the Stones' recorded work of the past 35 years and not appreciating both Glimmer Twins on their own. I'm also a Ronnie fan, but I taper off after SLIDE ON THIS. As for a new Stones album, it would be nice to find out Keith was in Paris after all and just being contrary.

Date: December 7, 2018 22:13

Keith pretty much says it all here... but we know how he can be.

Do you have any idea when you might put that record out?
Oh man, no. Like I say, early stages. I would say if I’m looking at it, we’re going to do this tour, so maybe this time next year, I would say. Maybe. That looks like a reasonable projection.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Early stages. It's the end of TWENTY EIGHTEEN!

When did they supposedly start this new album? DECEMBER OF 2015!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 7, 2018 22:29

Early stages. It's the end of TWENTY EIGHTEEN!

The end of 2018 doesn't occur until the beginning of 2019, It is only December 7. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 7, 2018 22:31

Surely it will be the best album of the last 13 years

Date: December 7, 2018 22:46

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

Was it? Really? My memory is not what it used to be...

Let's talk about feminine qualities! Uhm, better not, we would quickly get another 10 OT pages here. I consider myself a Stonesette, btw. It's ok imo if someone has a favourite band member, but I find it rather funny if this leads to taking sides in band internal rivalry or problems which may be true, but could also as well be constructed by a clever PR strategy...

So back to the new album! Anyone? Rocky? Georgelicks?

Stonesettes indeed thumbs up

And your memory is fine smoking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 7, 2018 23:48

Mick Jagger solo work has many good songs 1/2 loaf, Brand New Set of Rules, Joy, Visions of Paradise, Evening Gown, Handsome Molly, Out Of Focus, Hang on to Me Tonight, Out of Focus, the whole Wandering Spirit Album combine that with CH and you would of had the next great stones record.They need to come together and finish a new record one last time.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 8, 2018 01:00

Rokyfan
IanBillen

Rubbish.

Rocky(fan) .. You are misreading my view, entirely.

I'm not talking about their reputation over-all or considering the past. What The Stones have done has long been cemented (in history). Nobody will ever forget that.

I'm saying their reputation concerning being anything even somewhat viable 'now' as anything more than simply a greatest hits package. Not saying they are seen as hitmakers still .. but Neil Young is still considered a song writer ..even today. So is Bob Dylan to a degree.. So is Paul McCartney .. to a smaller degree.

If The Stones want to join that list above as still being viable song writers / recording artists .. (as WELL as a touring act) .. they HAVe to put something oput really good. Otherwise if they do not put out anything or if its sub par ...they will be viewed as washed up more than Young, McCartney .. and even Dylan (truth). That's my point.

Lets face it .. I take Paul McCartney (and Im not even any sort of real fan of his) much more seriously as an artist than The Stones (right now anyway).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-08 01:01 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...234235236237238239240241242243244...LastNext
Current Page: 239 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home