Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...230231232233234235236237238239240...LastNext
Current Page: 235 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:44

Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
By contrast, his earlier solo albums decades ago were made in totally different circumstances. TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER were, like Rocky Dijon pointed out above, more easily translatable into Rolling Stones music, which is to say, if in those albums one starts to miss the missing voice and contribution of Mick Jagger, in CROSSEYED HEART one does not. Probably for that reason it reflects the sort of maturity, which I believe a Rolling Stones album can never do. Mick Jagger will never allow that (thank goodnessgrinning smiley).

- Doxa

Sorry to correct you, but that was me, not Rocky!

Sorry retired dog! I should have checked that or written "some cool and insightful poster I admire very much" instead... I go quickly to edit my post..

- Doxa

Ha, ha, that's probably too much honour for an old bugger like me! However, the admiration is mutual - as you may have noticed, I have already been called "one of Doxa's poodles" here by an entertaining chap...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:55

retired_dog

[...] they're in fact hoarding material for the time after they officially call it quits as a live band - which may be very close by now. But even then, I'll doubt that we will get all this material in one go as a double or even triple set. It will most likely pour out over the years...

Yep - we already know this pattern of the Music Industry (almost every year): "Sensation - New Tape found! Now restored & improved by Artificial intelligence. Out on Xmas." winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 3, 2018 17:00

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I think Keith was happy with ABB, musically, as well as the process of making it. And the four songs he brought to the sessions are all included on the final album.

It was the mix that they in hindsight weren't too happy about.

That's my main gripe with the album as well: It sounds poor. However, there are many good songs on it, and in that respect it is in a way a more even album than that of VL and B2B.

And the stuff they added to eachother's songs sound good, imo - Jagger's bass + his electric and acoustic slide playing included.

It is pretty hard to seperate the PR talk and promotion from what they actually feel like, but to me they were initially rather excited about A BIGGER BANG, Jagger cursing the idea of 'nostalgy acts' and Keith being proud of the new material that is ready to be played live, etc. But that attitude was a rather quickly forgotten as A Bigger Bang tour started to go on, and the album didn't turned out to be any strong success, especially in American market into which it was mostly targeted. The new songs they tried probably were not recieved very well - at least this has been the point Jagger has been vocal ever since. I think the reception the album got was a huge disappointment for them - which then affected to their own views of its quality (and we started to hear their second-thoughts about it). Them being total pros as they are they leave the judgment of their doings to the reception. And probably that had a lesson why they haven't been so eager to any records ever since.

- Doxa

Has Keith really ever been a big PR guy, when it comes to music and songs before it happens? He prefers to let the music do the talking.....thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 3, 2018 17:21

From Doxa:
‘those albums one starts to miss the missing voice and contribution of Mick Jagger, in CROSSEYED HEART one does not. Probably for that reason it reflects the sort of maturity, which I believe a Rolling Stones album can never do’

Not true. I did miss the voice of Mick Jagger. It is his voice that goes between Keith’s guitar licks. Yes, I got over it, I really wanted new music, more importantly,
there are some gorgeous sounds and PRODUCTION on ‘Crosseyed Heart’. Spaces filled like you cannot believe.
But please,
don’t ever try ‘Gimme Shelter’ without Mick. Or ‘Exile’

Anyway, DP says a few posts back up the new album is coming.
Unless he delirious from snow,
I’m going with him.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 3, 2018 17:34

DandelionPowderman

Was it, or was the tour going on for too long? I don't think people who attended the first leg of the ABB-tour felt that the album was neglected or quickly played down.

Well, it wasn't neglected at all when the first leg (US) happened... But if memory serves (someone could provide us facts), they started reducing the amount of A BIGGER BANG songs already during that leg. At least by the time got to Europe, it was a question of one or two songs most. If I recall right they played only one new song in the two concerts I attended to (2006 and 2007), and the reception was a rather lukewarm in both cases.

My guess is that the experience (of how those new songs worked in concerts in terms of reception) Jagger had during that first leg in America was not a very good one.

- Doxa

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Was it, or was the tour going on for too long? I don't think people who attended the first leg of the ABB-tour felt that the album was neglected or quickly played down.

Well, it wasn't neglected at all when the first leg (US) happened... But if memory serves (someone could provide us facts), they started reducing the amount of A BIGGER BANG songs already during that leg. At least by the time got to Europe, it was a question of one or two songs most. If I recall right they played only one new song in the two concerts I attended to (2006 and 2007), and the reception was a rather lukewarm in both cases.

WMy guess is that the experience (of how those new songs worked in concerts in terms of reception) Jagger had during that first leg in America was not a very good one.

- Doxa

What puzzles me is how they will introduce songs prior to Tour. Well, Bruce performed the great song, Meet me in the City, on Saturday Night Live prior to the River tour. It was really a great concert.

Tour has already been defined and I'm not sure if configuration of set list will include new material unless properly marketed beforehand. Where and When?

The best approach of this US tour is to drop the War horses and play to the world of surprise.

If they don't even understand their fans don't want to hear YCAWGW anymore then this could be the same old tour as ever. This is maybe our last chance for them to drop the war Horses and play their great songs, which are not heard except for folks in this forum

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:08

hmmm...

>> last chance for them to drop the war Horses and play their great songs<<

i understand what youre saying but if they dont play Rambler, Shelter, and JJF...

all hell will break loose.. cool smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I think Keith was happy with ABB, musically, as well as the process of making it. And the four songs he brought to the sessions are all included on the final album.

It was the mix that they in hindsight weren't too happy about.

That's my main gripe with the album as well: It sounds poor. However, there are many good songs on it, and in that respect it is in a way a more even album than that of VL and B2B.

And the stuff they added to eachother's songs sound good, imo - Jagger's bass + his electric and acoustic slide playing included.

It is pretty hard to seperate the PR talk and promotion from what they actually feel like, but to me they were initially rather excited about A BIGGER BANG, Jagger cursing the idea of 'nostalgy acts' and Keith being proud of the new material that is ready to be played live, etc. But that attitude was a rather quickly forgotten as A Bigger Bang tour started to go on, and the album didn't turned out to be any strong success, especially in American market into which it was mostly targeted. The new songs they tried probably were not recieved very well - at least this has been the point Jagger has been vocal ever since. I think the reception the album got was a huge disappointment for them - which then affected to their own views of its quality (and we started to hear their second-thoughts about it). Them being total pros as they are they leave the judgment of their doings to the reception. And probably that had a lesson why they haven't been so eager to any records ever since.

- Doxa

They ought to have been able to deal with a divided opinion about it though: that is, to distinguish between an opinion of their own, as to how good that album actually was, even if their initial evaluation would be an object of some revision, and on the other hand the receivers' point of view. Also when they were disposed to follow the latter for their setlists.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:03

Are they in the studio right now?!?Paris fans have you any news?!?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:05

Yes - Keith was very happy with ABB - He said he worked very well with Mick and they wrote many good songs for the record. It would of been great if they left off a few songs. LOL

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 3, 2018 19:10

If we are mentioning dropping a new song during an American tour, I must add my favorite
‘Tops’ live 1981 Philadelphia
[m.youtube.com]

Crowd had never heard it before (fan: “Tops??”)
And yet, this recording never fails to make me feel downright giddy.

We can take it again like that. I bet New Orleans gets some treats drinking smiley

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: December 3, 2018 21:08

Doxa
CamRS
After following this thread and all of the opinions and speculation that is going into the making of this album, I thought why not add more?

As noted by bv, georgelicks and others, the band seems determined to make a great album. As this is probably the last statement they’ll make, I’m sure Mick and Keith are putting immense pressure on themselves to come up with great material. The surprising success of Blue and Lonesome has probably only added to that pressure.

Someone else on this board also noted that the band decided all must agree on the songs this time around. So while something like Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost may have made it onto an album in the past, this time around Keith (who’s never been a fan of overtly political songs) vetoed the two. Why does it matter that Charlie and Ronnie participated in it and not Keith? I really don’t think these two songs have created some wedge between Mick and Keith as others have speculated.

As far as their creative process, I’m not really going to critique the way the Glimmers come up with their songs. Creative people have their thing that works for them and theirs have evolved over the years. However, with the passing of Anita, L’Wrens suicide, getting old and losing people around over the last few years, there’s a lot of inspiration around them to write some really meaningful songs that I hope they’re using.

I’m looking forward to whatever new songs they come up, no matter how long it takes for them to release it.

-Cam

A great post. Thanks, Cam. I just make a brief comment to the one in bold, many times mentioned here by many posters.

For creative artists, there is something strange about by claiming that the ability to make great results instead of mediocre ones is a matter of decision or will. Like they could actually control their muse. Like it would be so easy. I don't think when they did, say, VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG - albums seen by many as rather mediocre by their usual standards - that they weren't serious in those album: that of making them as they great as they can. They just couldn't do anything better then. One cannot force creativity.

It could be, as claimed, that they put this time more thought to the quality standard. Which would also explain why making a supposed new album takes so long. But we don't know where the standard lies. It could be that the results so far are so mediocre or far from finished that they wouldn't meet the criterion set by, say, A BIGGER BANG. And if we count all those not years but actual working days spent for making new music by now I don't think they have actually spent more time than they did for, say, their four previous albums. So one cannot claim that they have put more energy into this new project than for previous ones. And they surely aren't getting any younger.

So for me this talk of 'this time they make sure that it will be a great album' is just a wish-talk from us fans (or as an excuse to explain the time 'wasted' to the project). And nothing wrong with that. The album, or whatever form it will take, will be just a manifestation of what The Rolling Stones as creative artists are at the moment. Like always. Nothing more, nothing less.

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa. You’re right, you can’t force creativity. What I interpret from that line is that there’s an extra motivation or spark to put together and album that maybe wasn’t there in the past. Similar in some ways to how Mick and Keith had that extra motivation from punk rockers and others who were telling them they were washed up when they were working on Some Girls.

The key difference between a Some Girls and now is where they are drawing their inspiration from. Some Girls had a sobered up Keith reasserting himself in the band, Ronnie Wood now a full member, and Mick drawing inspiration from NYC scene among other things that factored into the creative process. So I guess the question is where are they drawing their inspiration from and how will it be translated to the songs themselves? I guess we’ll see eventually...hopefullly smiling smiley

-Cam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-03 21:11 by CamRS.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 4, 2018 00:35

retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
By contrast, his earlier solo albums decades ago were made in totally different circumstances. TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER were, like Rocky Dijon pointed out above, more easily translatable into Rolling Stones music, which is to say, if in those albums one starts to miss the missing voice and contribution of Mick Jagger, in CROSSEYED HEART one does not. Probably for that reason it reflects the sort of maturity, which I believe a Rolling Stones album can never do. Mick Jagger will never allow that (thank goodnessgrinning smiley).

- Doxa

Sorry retired dog! I should have checked that or written "some cool and insightful poster I admire very much" instead... I go quickly to edit my post..

- Doxa

Ha, ha, that's probably too much honour for an old bugger like me! However, the admiration is mutual - as you may have noticed, I have already been called "one of Doxa's poodles" here by an entertaining chap...

So so sorry retired dog, i did indeed call you Doxa's poodle but i was confusing you with another poster who just chimes in after Doxa with nothing to say for himself, no naming names..
I was going to apologize before but the opportunity didn't arrive.

What you and Doxa have is more of a mutual admiration society,winking smiley you are no poodle, very good at conversing in an articulate manner on your own dear chap.

Date: December 4, 2018 00:44

If i were to hold a vote right now between a solo album from both Mick and Keith each, or a Stones album, i bet this will be the first time ever that the majority of regular posters might veer towards a set of solo albums.
That's how desperate we have become for some original material, plus for me CH has left me wanting more, and in a way i am really curious as to what Mick might come up with on his own. GGAG had something didn't it, i loved Micks voice on it in particular.

Also can anyone explain to me why the Stones don't make an album out of unfinished work from various sessions spanning 50 plus years ?
I mean do they even need new material with all those outtakes available, some of Keith's outtakes just need Mick to finish them.

Date: December 4, 2018 00:54

35love
If we are mentioning dropping a new song during an American tour, I must add my favorite
[m.youtube.com]

We can take it again like that. I bet New Orleans gets some treats drinking smiley

Wow fantastic, imagine how good that would have become if they played it throughout the tour, it was developing well towards the end of that clip, Ronnie doing a great job.

One of my favorite ever Stones tracks, never heard it live before thanks 35Love smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2018 01:09

keithsman
35love
[m.youtube.com]

Wow fantastic, imagine how good that would have become if they played it throughout the tour, it was developing well towards the end of that clip, Ronnie doing a great job.

One of my favorite ever Stones tracks, never heard it live before thanks 35Love smoking smiley

nice version...ronnie's on fire!

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: December 4, 2018 01:42

35love
[m.youtube.com]

We can take it again like that. I bet New Orleans gets some treats smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 02:24 by mitchrambler.

Date: December 4, 2018 05:10

keithsman
retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

So so sorry retired dog, i did indeed call you Doxa's poodle but i was confusing you with another poster who just chimes in after Doxa with nothing to say for himself, no naming names..

What you and Doxa have is more of a mutual admiration society,winking smiley you are no poodle, very good at conversing in an articulate manner on your own dear chap.

You take it upon yourself, keithsman, to tell us that another poster, according to you, has nothing to say for himself. How do you really know? However, if that is your attitude, maybe you ought to express your apology above for instance in German and French as well, to show that you are comfortable with giving your views in what for you probably will be second languages. Hopefully you may learn something thereby.

There may be present posters (or readers abstaining from becoming posters) with more nuanced points of view that they find difficulty in expressing, without having needed to write so long posts that they are afraid those posts risk be left unread, especially when they would be formulated in a second language. Then a compromise for them may be to agree to a large extent with posts from a rich and eloquent writer like Doxa, himself, as we know, masterfully expressing himself in a second language. I find that legitimate. Such quotes may serve as a basis for their own views.

To think that your post comes from someone obsessed with a writer's block is quite an irony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 05:12 by Witness.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 4, 2018 11:12

CamRS

Thanks Doxa. You’re right, you can’t force creativity. What I interpret from that line is that there’s an extra motivation or spark to put together and album that maybe wasn’t there in the past. Similar in some ways to how Mick and Keith had that extra motivation from punk rockers and others who were telling them they were washed up when they were working on Some Girls.

The key difference between a Some Girls and now is where they are drawing their inspiration from. Some Girls had a sobered up Keith reasserting himself in the band, Ronnie Wood now a full member, and Mick drawing inspiration from NYC scene among other things that factored into the creative process. So I guess the question is where are they drawing their inspiration from and how will it be translated to the songs themselves? I guess we’ll see eventually...hopefullly smiling smiley

-Cam

Part of the problem is, however, that since the late 70's, there hasn't been any real progress in rock music. In electronic music, in hip-hop, in R&B (what they call R&B nowadays) there's been a lot of things going on. In rock music, however, there was only grunge and indie, two words for "the same old" and "the emperor's new clothes". So indeed: where can one get one's inspiration from?

Date: December 4, 2018 11:29

matxil
CamRS

-Cam

Part of the problem is, however, that since the late 70's, there hasn't been any real progress in rock music. In electronic music, in hip-hop, in R&B (what they call R&B nowadays) there's been a lot of things going on. In rock music, however, there was only grunge and indie, two words for "the same old" and "the emperor's new clothes". So indeed: where can one get one's inspiration from?

New Wave deserves a mention, though. Many will say early 80s metal as well. 1982 was a goundbreaking year for metal, according to the metal heads smoking smiley

Date: December 4, 2018 12:23

Witness
keithsman
retired_dog
Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

You take it upon yourself, keithsman, to tell us that another poster, according to you, has nothing to say for himself. How do you really know? However, if that is your attitude, maybe you ought to express your apology above for instance in German and French as well, to show that you are comfortable with giving your views in what for you probably will be second languages. Hopefully you may learn something thereby.

There may be present posters (or readers abstaining from becoming posters) with more nuanced points of view that they find difficulty in expressing, without having needed to write so long posts that they are afraid those posts risk be left unread, especially when they would be formulated in a second language. Then a compromise for them may be to agree to a large extent with posts from a rich and eloquent writer like Doxa, himself, as we know, masterfully expressing himself in a second language. I find that legitimate. Such quotes may serve as a basis for their own views.

To think that your post comes from someone obsessed with a writer's block is quite an irony.

On the contrary i welcome posters who are not articulate, i am dyslexic but have really improved since the internet, since posting on iorr my writing has improved considerably.
I want new posters to say more and i'm certainly not a snob, i have never picked anyone up on their English since i have been here.
I was addressing retired dog and told him i confused him with another poster when i called him Doxas poodle, pointing out that i enjoy retired dogs and Doxas posts in not a slant or criticism on other less articulate posters.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 4, 2018 12:37

DandelionPowderman
matxil
CamRS

-Cam

New Wave deserves a mention, though. Many will say early 80s metal as well. 1982 was a goundbreaking year for metal, according to the metal heads smoking smiley

Thank God the Rolling Stones never tried to sound like Depeche Mode, The Cure or Joy Division (and that latter band I even like). And metal..., well,..., what can I say... maybe it would have been fun if they'd have had a go at that, preferably something like gothic-death-trash-zombie-metal. Very tongue in cheek.

Date: December 4, 2018 12:50

but i was confusing you with another poster who just chimes in after Doxa with nothing to say for himself, no naming names

Such words can hardly be read as a praise of anyone. Those words may then tend to discourage posters, in their second language or not, who want put forth a point of view, by way of quoting articulate writers' posts as a reference point, in order to be able to succinctly express their own stance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 12:52 by Witness.

Date: December 4, 2018 12:54

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
CamRS

-Cam

Thank God the Rolling Stones never tried to sound like Depeche Mode, The Cure or Joy Division (and that latter band I even like). And metal..., well,..., what can I say... maybe it would have been fun if they'd have had a go at that, preferably something like gothic-death-trash-zombie-metal. Very tongue in cheek.

None of them were new wave, though.

Try This:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 4, 2018 13:01

Witness
but i was confusing you with another poster who just chimes in after Doxa with nothing to say for himself, no naming names

Such words can hardly be read as a praise of anyone. Those words may then tend to discourage posters, in their second language or not, who want put forth a point of view, by way of quoting articulate writers' posts as a reference point, in order to be able to succinctly express their own stance.

You got it all wrong, i said that because every time Doxa or anyone else bashes me this troll chimes in with a thumbs up.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2018 13:39

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2018 14:53

keithsman
Witness

You got it all wrong, i said that because every time Doxa or anyone else bashes me this troll chimes in with a thumbs up.

It is possible, of course, that I have got it wrong. However, I built on the words that you yourself used, admittedly those in isolation. Besides, trying for a couple of minutes to find examples, I did not find any.

And if Doxa (in that case, probably welldeserved) or anyone else bashes you, and this poster has given his thumb up more than once, that posible fact does not in itself make him Doxa's poodle. Or, now also, even a troll. Because, following your sayings here, it is not he, but you, who are labeling someone, not the other way round.

Date: December 4, 2018 14:57

I've been called far worse things than a poodle on here lol.

I think the problem you have with me is that my views differ from yours.

You seem a little obsessed with me, that must be unhealthy, its harassment, don't you have other things to do other than object to an unnamed person being called a poodle while advocating someone saying i'm a sad so and so who will get arrested for hanging outside Keith's house.
You condone that sort of attack on me but object about me apologizing for calling the wrong person Doxas poodle. What is this, a Stones forum or a court case ?
Lighten up a bit, apparently i'm a Keithette , doesn't worry me in the least.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 15:12 by keithsman.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 4, 2018 15:10

New album cover art just leaked...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 4, 2018 15:16

Wow, Kurt! You're the man. Great title. Doxa's Poodle. I like the sleeve art too. Looks promising.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...230231232233234235236237238239240...LastNext
Current Page: 235 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home