Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...225226227228229230231232233234235...LastNext
Current Page: 230 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 29, 2018 12:42

They'd rather have us buy the sheet music. grinning smiley That was a big business back in the day.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 29, 2018 13:46

From Keith's interview with Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune:

Q: Last winter, you said the Stones would have a new studio album out by the end of the year. How’s that going?

A: Mick (Jagger) and I got together the last few months with (producer) Don Was in the studio, and we’ve been knocking up some ideas. We want to do some more sessions, but not sure when. We might do something in February and March. It’s progressing. All I can say, there are a couple of nice things happening, with the promise of a lot more, and we’re having fun doing it. We get together, and it’s always, ‘Got anything new?’ ‘Did anything else occur?’ And a couple of songs always pop up.

Q: Is it still clicking quickly for you and Jagger when you get together to write songs?

A: You jump into this familiar spot, even if we’ve been away for months. It’s comfortable kicking around ideas. We’ve been doing this for a while, so it’s not difficult to start up again. Mick is a great rhythm guitar player -- I always enjoyed playing guitar with him because we’re both rhythm guys really. We’re writing with two guitars, and I might throw piano or bass on here and there.

Q: Was it a surprise to you that the band was able to knock out the blues album (the 2016 release of blues covers, “Blue & Lonesome”) so quickly?

A: In a way it was a surprise, all of it. When we got back together, we just had the feeling the Stones had to make this album, bring it full circle from where we came, which was to do an entire album of the kind we would’ve recorded when we first played the clubs in London. We would’ve played these same songs back then. We never made an album of us doing that, and it occurred spontaneously – “now’s the time.” We did it in five days. And then it was, “I wonder if they’ll like it.” It was a great feeling to get the response we did. It may have affected what we’re doing now. Maybe hitting back on the roots for that record affects what you’re going to do later. I’m not saying we’re going to do a Volume 2 blues record, but the way you record or hear things is affected by that. It gave us great energy going forward.

Q: Have the Stones stopped making new recordings a priority because of how digital has changed the market?

A: The world changes, and what’s the point of complaining about it? You just do your body of work. Stream it, whatever. I do find it encouraging that the vinyl side of things has increased immensely. That’s still the apex of stuff -- analog recording is the best sound you’re going to get. Digital does wonderful things, visually and in every other area. But in sound, it ain’t quite the thing -- too sanitized. You lose substantial parts of the music. That’s why we always record analog, but unfortunately it comes out digitally (on-line). We’re stuck with it, so there’s no point in whining about it.

Q: You put out a solo album (“Crosseyed Heart”) in 2015. Would those songs have made it on a Stones album if there had been plans for the band to record at that point?

A: It was more about working with (drummer) Steve Jordan. We’ve worked together since recording “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” with Aretha (Franklin) in ‘86. Steve and I enjoyed working together on the “Hail! Hail! Rock ‘n’ Roll” (Chuck Berry concert) movie, and we started thinking about putting a band together, and made a couple of albums (“Talk is Cheap” in 1988 and “Main Offender” in 1992). We had some free time, and we recorded “Crosseyed” off and on over two years, without any intention at first of making a record. We pulled in some great players and eventually got it done. It was done apart from anything the Stones might’ve done during that time.

[www.chicagotribune.com]

Date: November 29, 2018 13:55

«It (Blue And Lonesome) may have affected what we’re doing now»...

thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 29, 2018 14:13

"In a way it was a surprise, all of it. When we got back together, we just had the feeling the Stones had to make this album, bring it full circle from where we came, which was to do an entire album of the kind we would’ve recorded when we first played the clubs in London. We would’ve played these same songs back then. We never made an album of us doing that, and it occurred spontaneously – “now’s the time.” We did it in five days. And then it was, “I wonder if they’ll like it.” It was a great feeling to get the response we did. It may have affected what we’re doing now. Maybe hitting back on the roots for that record affects what you’re going to do later. I’m not saying we’re going to do a Volume 2 blues record, but the way you record or hear things is affected by that. It gave us great energy going forward."

"...That’s why we always record analog..."

very good

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 29, 2018 14:17

DandelionPowderman
«It (Blue And Lonesome) may have affected what we’re doing now»...

thumbs up

Yes...hope there's some significance in that comment.

"A: The world changes, and what’s the point of complaining about it? You just do your body of work. Stream it, whatever. I do find it encouraging that the vinyl side of things has increased immensely. That’s still the apex of stuff -- analog recording is the best sound you’re going to get. Digital does wonderful things, visually and in every other area. But in sound, it ain’t quite the thing -- too sanitized. You lose substantial parts of the music. That’s why we always record analog, but unfortunately it comes out digitally (on-line). We’re stuck with it, so there’s no point in whining about it."

It's probably best that Keith, a bigger Luddite even than I, remains blissfully ignorant of the fact that they'll convert it all to digital and "brick wall" it anyway...whether its streamed or mastered to vinyl .

I still kind of share his sentiments though...even with today's much improved digital recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-29 14:18 by Spud.

Date: November 29, 2018 14:57

Rocky Dijon
Georgelicks aka Soldatti has a well-placed connection in Universal who stated less than a month ago that three tracks would be issued from late January/February through April with the album dropping late May/June. He also stated, and had stated a couple years ago originally, that the album would be part of the ticket bundle.

Bjornulf stated after Soldatti that the album would be released late spring/early summer while they were still on the road.

Keith's remarks about "early days yet" is the same phrase Don Was has used over the past couple years to describe the album.

I believe the sessions I've posted about occurred. The sessions others have posted about occurred. Why Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, and Don Was should continue to downplay the album and insist "it's early days" and "What a shame we haven't recorded all these songs we've written" is beyond me.

Inevitably, given the recent statements by the band, there will be people who think what I posted/what GeorgeLicks shared/what Bjornulf shared was either made up for attention or deliberately fed misinformation.

It wasn't. They have an album they could put the finishing touches on and release. Work, recent work, as in Bernard's backing vocals and the band minus Darryl doing studio work in November 2018 (possibly multiple studios, I don't know that for certain) happened. The sessions (presumably Paris) booked for this week and on into December were/are real. The plan is to finish the album for release so promotion (interviews/videos) can be finalized early in the new year before tour rehearsals.

To my knowledge that hasn't changed.

Why are Mick and Keith saying the same thing as Don Was, Ronnie, and Charlie? "Gee, I don't know if we'll ever do anything...don't hold your breath...I thought it was finished...it's early days yet"

I haven't a @#$%& clue.

For now, in spite of all logic being trust the band and their producer, I'm going with the recording session still goes forward to finish the album and the album is out by June 2019.

I'll be a rare holdout trusting reputable sources who really are connected until they or Bjornulf or GeorgeLicks/Soldatti post here that "things have changed."

I really doubt this is an eleventh hour mission abort.

I don't know what it is about you Rocky, but you have an ease, and flow that eludes the rest of us here.

Date: November 29, 2018 15:31

I have reached the point of 'Screw that album by now". And I say this with deference to Ian Billen and his tireless optimism; but I see even Ian is getting a bit testy.
If it takes you this long, and this much hooplah to drag your butts together to lay down a few 3-chorders then I;m not interested. I never even bought 'Blue & Lonesome", which would have been unheard of in my world. But the late era Stones exasperate me. I keep coming back to Pete's quote "Please don't grow old gracefully..". He was right, and so in a way they are being very Rolling Stone-y by going against the grain, and being cranky. But this is not what they are leading us on in interviews. I sort of wish they would come out and say it "Wot? New album? Can't be bothered!"

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 29, 2018 16:25

My suggestion that it's possibly writers block doesn't seem so outrages now.

Obviously i hope i'm wrong and that the boys are just toying with us, but why play games like that to loyal fans.
Either way it's disappointing .

Date: November 29, 2018 16:29

keithsman

Obviously i hope i'm wrong and that the boys are just toying with us, but why play games like that to loyal fans.

It'll be worth it in the end, I'm sure, Riffie smiling smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 29, 2018 16:42

DandelionPowderman
keithsman

It'll be worth it in the end, I'm sure, Riffie smiling smiley

Hopefully Dande thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 29, 2018 16:44

Palace Revolution 2000
I have reached the point of 'Screw that album by now". And I say this with deference to Ian Billen and his tireless optimism; but I see even Ian is getting a bit testy.
If it takes you this long, and this much hooplah to drag your butts together to lay down a few 3-chorders then I;m not interested. I never even bought 'Blue & Lonesome", which would have been unheard of in my world. But the late era Stones exasperate me. I keep coming back to Pete's quote "Please don't grow old gracefully..". He was right, and so in a way they are being very Rolling Stone-y by going against the grain, and being cranky. But this is not what they are leading us on in interviews. I sort of wish they would come out and say it "Wot? New album? Can't be bothered!"

I can understand how some of you may not be very happy about this news and disappointed. But I don't understand why you could blame the Stones for this. I mean, it's not them who brought this whole "a new album's coming in 2016, 2017, 2018" story into the world, so why blame them? They jam sometimes apparently. That at least indicates they are getting along. They seem to enjoy the jams, so good for them. Whether it will result in an album or not is impossible to predict. My impression is that on this forum most people would welcome any album by the Stones, because "hey, it's the Stones!". Apparently Mick seems to think it's a pity not to make an album, so maybe he feels the same way: any album would do. Charlie couldn't care less. Keith and Ronnie, I don't know.

Date: November 29, 2018 16:49

<it's not them who brought this whole "a new album's coming in 2016, 2017, 2018" story into the world, so why blame them?>

Isn't it?

«It's in the can»...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2018 17:32

From Ronnie's interview for AZCentral:

Q: Do you see you guys doing another album of original material at some point?

A: Yeah, we’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet.

Q: Do you think diving back into your roots will have an impact on this new one?

A: It was an incredibly successful album and incredibly enjoyable to make. So we’ll take some of that into the studio with this new originals album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 29, 2018 17:39

Cristiano Radtke

A: Yeah, we’ve been hacking songs into shape. I’m gonna go off to Paris and see Mick next week and see what his latest thoughts are after he’s got together with Keith. It’s an ongoing thing of comparing what is on the cooker at the moment and some ideas we’ve had for years that we may embellish upon. It’s quite interesting building this new album. You can’t say there’s a title for it. The tracks haven’t actually been chosen yet.

Q: Do you think diving back into your roots will have an impact on this new one?

A: It was an incredibly successful album and incredibly enjoyable to make. So we’ll take some of that into the studio with this new originals album.

This is the most interesting interview!!
thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 29, 2018 17:44

Thanks, Cristiano.

Waiting for word that Keith, Charlie and Don Was are in Paris, too.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: November 29, 2018 17:52

Cristiano Radtke

Well now that sounds abit more positive...yay

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 29, 2018 18:13

We'd probably already have on if Keith had liked Mick's 30 or 40 songs from a couple of years ago, but apparently he didn't. Probably a source of tension.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 29, 2018 18:14

Ronnie Go.. Love ya.
forget about the floated egos from Mick N Keef.

Just one more album..

or one EP

Jeroen

Date: November 29, 2018 18:42

Ronnie has been the one spilling the beans since 2011 smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2018 19:07

Glad to hear Ronnie, but the vagueness is the same really - "hacking songs into shape", "on the cooker", etc.
Here's to hoping for at least one new tune for the upcoming tour!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 29, 2018 19:13

Send It To me
We'd probably already have on if Keith had liked Mick's 30 or 40 songs from a couple of years ago, but apparently he didn't. Probably a source of tension.

Maybe so, but I'm encouraged by Mick's short blues jam clip and Mick's improvised touring song. He may be acting, but it appears that he's relaxed, happy, and having fun.

I'm glad to hear Ronnie's latest words. It's so hard to tell how far along they actually are (or aren't), but it sounds like they are making progress.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 29, 2018 19:21

bye bye johnny
We get together, and it’s always, ‘Got anything new?’ ‘Did anything else occur?’ And a couple of songs always pop up.

This quote from Keith puzzles me. Are Mick and Don asking Keith if he has anything new, or is Keith asking Mick and Don? If Keith is interested in what Mick is coming up without him, wouldn't that indicate that Keith is liking at least some of the stuff Mick is coming up with on his own (and giving us hope that there may be a few jewels in Mick's 40 demos that Keith actually liked)?

I don't know what "did anything else occur?" means. The only way I can interpret it is that Mick and Keith are doing some jamming separately and then comparing notes when they get together with Don.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 29, 2018 19:42

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't know what it is about you Rocky, but you have an ease, and flow that eludes the rest of us here.

This has been frustrating for all of us. Ronnie slipped, as he often does, and acknowledged he's joining Mick in the studio in Paris "next week" (which could be this week, depending when the interview was done).

Keith says the December session isn't likely to happen, but maybe February and March. Perhaps it's a matter of Keith won't be there because he doesn't like what's on tap. Darryl missed the session last week when Bernard was in the studio, but intends to be there this week/next week which is likewise interesting.

The most revealing comment Mick has made is "you think you've written something very good and then realize you haven't." I don't believe he or Keith have writer's block. I do believe there is an ongoing situation like we saw last year where Keith says of Mick and Matt's songs, "they ain't Stones songs, if you want to put them out, put them out on your own and the bugger went and did it."

It appears Mick will visit Keith in the studio periodically after working on his own or with Matt. Don Was is sometimes present and sometimes not, likely based on his opinion of the demos. Don, Keith, and Mick say it's "early days yet" despite Universal thinking they had an album just needing final touches. Ronnie and Charlie plead ignorance and suggest they thought the album was done ages ago. Matt Clifford and Steve Jordan are largely the creative equivalent of sex surrogates in the Jagger-Richards marriage.

It would appear, purely speculation on my part, that the problem is whether or not Keith thinks Mick's songs are Stones-worthy or not. When Keith didn't and Mick released a solo single, Ronnie and Charlie still played on the tracks. Friendship? Loyalty? Divided opinions? Your guess is as good as mine. Matt produced and wrote the two tracks. Not Keith. No Don Was credit either. There seems to be a Keith and Don Was alignment on this album which is interesting, if not very productive.

If my speculation is correct, there will be fans who blame Keith for being the bottleneck and fans who blame Mick for chasing trends or daring to experiment. Would I rather wait for them to "get it right?" No, I'd rather have Jagger-Clifford songs packaged as Jagger-Richards for the sake of it and like some of the tracks and dislike others and bitch and moan on iorr for months or years than I would risk having more material stay locked up in the vault. I would also rather have 19 mediocre and poor songs I complain about than 10 pretty good songs and always wonder what else they recorded. I am a fan. I am not Quality Control. I want it all even when I don't like it.

As for the State of the Union, Keith either turns up or it looks like he and maybe Don are the no-shows as the album moves forward. Not World War III, but likely a Cold War. Glad Mick hasn't thrown in the towel and just said forget it. I look forward to the results with interest, but suspect GeorgeLicks' (Soldatti's) next update won't be a good one. Bjornulf had a reason to remove the "sticky" from the thread, but was too much of a gentleman to disclose what he knew.

Happily, I am lacking in manners as much as I am brevity.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 29, 2018 19:49

Can't understand Keith's quote: 'Not Stones songs'.
Some of the most memorable Stones classics are anything like rock n roll in the narrow sense..
They are used in films and commercials...even political campaigns. They are part of the group's legacy. Fans might just want a varied album...Moroccan influence, a bit of country, some old blues. Why Not?
Keith should get out more often.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 29, 2018 21:03

I can already hear the new songs playing in my head. Man, They sound .... beautiful.

Date: November 29, 2018 21:49

Bungo
I can already hear the new songs playing in my head. Man, They sound .... beautiful.

Hi Bungo! Any news from your sources?

Date: November 29, 2018 21:51

KRiffhard
Bungo

Hi Bungo! Let's hope so also in reality!
Any news from your sources?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-29 21:52 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 29, 2018 22:01

KRiffhard
KRiffhard
Bungo

It's all good. The delay is not for lack of material. They have plenty of songs ready to go. They just don't feel any urgency to release the new CD yet as there's no real money in it for them. The money is in the tours and that's where their heads are at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-29 22:02 by Bungo.

Date: November 29, 2018 22:06

Bungo
KRiffhard
KRiffhard
Bungo

It's all good. The delay is not for lack of material. They have plenty of songs ready to go. They just don't feel any urgency to release the new CD yet as there's no real money in it for them. The money is in the tours and that's where their heads are at.

Thanks Bungo!! Do you know something (that you can say) about the quality of new songs?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 29, 2018 22:21

I started listening to the Rolling Stones at the beginning of the 80s, if someone had told me that in 2018 they would still be playing and maybe they would release a new album I would have laughed at him, in 86 I thought I would never have seen the Rolling Stones play live, but in reality I lost count of the times. We live in a society that wants more and more and that is never satisfied! The Rolling Stones have passed 70 years but people do not understand that sometimes we can also be satisfied and that what will come is one more.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...225226227228229230231232233234235...LastNext
Current Page: 230 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home