Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:51

Rocky Dijon
Bernard's in the studio.

Is that based on his recent repost of a 2017 photo, or is there something else?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 21, 2018 01:00

I just don't have it in me to try to reason or communicate any longer. I simply don't enjoy what this site has become. The relentless negativity and endless doubting is draining and not worth the effort.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 01:17

Rocky Dijon
Bernard's in the studio. They're not stuck where they were two years ago. This album wasn't done the way most Stones albums are where all the bottoms were finished, then vocals were added, and then mixing and overdubbing is yet to come to finish the entire project.

Bernard put down backing vocals nearly 18 months ago for some of the tracks. He's doing more backing vocals (for different tracks) now. While the album sessions began three years ago, some of the tracks were written a few years earlier than that just as several tracks hadn't been written until this year or last year. I don't know if any earlier material (STEEL WHEELS through LICKS) was reworked. I know Don Was suggested it, but I don't know that Mick and Keith agreed.

I had posted this same information last year that I heard tracks were in different stages and that radically different versions of some songs existed. It has been experimental with other hands involved, not just Don. I don't know for certain what that means as far as final production credits which is why I asked Soldatti who said it was "very likely" Jordan, Clifford, and Falk would have production credits. I took that as a sign that what I heard was reliable and that some tracks were finished (mixed, ready to go) as early as 2016 and other tracks were created last year and this year.

It's been a strange process. Carl Falk has come and gone in 2017 and 2018. If Mick isn't stockpiling tracks for a solo album, he's been seeing what can be crafted with different sounds and approaches for the Stones. Ronnie and Charlie do not have to be present for every session though Ronnie did do an overdub session earler this year regardless of what he says to the media. Keyon Harrold laid down trumpet a couple years ago for a track that has been finished for a very long time now while others weren't even conceived.

Charlie and Ronnie attend the business meetings. They know far more than what they tell the media. Even Don Was and Chuck and Darryl know more than what they tell. They say what they can. Less is more. The general public doesn't obsess over hitting the wall.

As for not mentioning the album while announcing the tour, I take that as a sign that NO FILTER is no longer the album name. A nice idea a couple years ago.

Thank you so much for this infos. So do you think we will see in 1-2 weeks if they indeed finished the album and are really going to hear a new song in January 2019?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 21, 2018 01:55

Rocky Dijon
Bernard's in the studio. They're not stuck where they were two years ago. This album wasn't done the way most Stones albums are where all the bottoms were finished, then vocals were added, and then mixing and overdubbing is yet to come to finish the entire project.

Bernard put down backing vocals nearly 18 months ago for some of the tracks. He's doing more backing vocals (for different tracks) now. While the album sessions began three years ago, some of the tracks were written a few years earlier than that just as several tracks hadn't been written until this year or last year. I don't know if any earlier material (STEEL WHEELS through LICKS) was reworked. I know Don Was suggested it, but I don't know that Mick and Keith agreed.

I had posted this same information last year that I heard tracks were in different stages and that radically different versions of some songs existed. It has been experimental with other hands involved, not just Don. I don't know for certain what that means as far as final production credits which is why I asked Soldatti who said it was "very likely" Jordan, Clifford, and Falk would have production credits. I took that as a sign that what I heard was reliable and that some tracks were finished (mixed, ready to go) as early as 2016 and other tracks were created last year and this year.

It's been a strange process. Carl Falk has come and gone in 2017 and 2018. If Mick isn't stockpiling tracks for a solo album, he's been seeing what can be crafted with different sounds and approaches for the Stones. Ronnie and Charlie do not have to be present for every session though Ronnie did do an overdub session earler this year regardless of what he says to the media. Keyon Harrold laid down trumpet a couple years ago for a track that has been finished for a very long time now while others weren't even conceived.

Charlie and Ronnie attend the business meetings. They know far more than what they tell the media. Even Don Was and Chuck and Darryl know more than what they tell. They say what they can. Less is more. The general public doesn't obsess over hitting the wall.

As for not mentioning the album while announcing the tour, I take that as a sign that NO FILTER is no longer the album name. A nice idea a couple years ago.

Rocky ... this information here in this post of yours is fantastic. You have given us more information about this album in a single post than we have had in 222 bloody pages (<and that is basically true). We thank you so much.

*You mention that it has been a 'strange process' .. I agree. As well ... as per you have described .. they have never have done/recorded an album like this before. I have a feeling/hunch this going to sound very 'fresh' .. in a good way. Seems as though they truly took their time in exploring options with this over the years.

Think about it .. this albums production and recording will have spanned three years .. and some change .. the writing dates back at least five ... Dayuum!

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 01:55 by IanBillen.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: November 21, 2018 02:41

Thank's for the info Rocky hopefully we will hear something in the very near future.
I was hoping the album would get a mention in the tour announcement,

But you never know they might surprise us with a string of single releases, as already mentioned on here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 14:15 by terry.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2018 03:48

slewan
In German there's a proverb saying 'Viele Köche verderben den Brei' (Too many cooks spoil the porridge)

This is a universal saying, yet in many places soup or broth is used instead of porridge.

From The American Heritage Idioms Dictionary:

Too many persons involved in managing an activity can ruin it, as in Without a conductor, every player had an idea for how the music should go—too many cooks spoil the broth .
This expression alludes to each of many cooks adding something to a soup, which finally tastes awful. It was already considered a proverb in 1575 (by George Gascoigne in The Life of P. Care ).

I have a feeling the new album won't be "ruined" by this process, but am expecting an eclectic mix of ideas....imagine Crosseyed Heart meets Superheavy if that's possible.
Or imagine Take it So Hard clashing with Let's Work. Or imagine if Getta Grip/England Lost would have had a few Keith guitar parts overdubbed on to them. Based on everything we know so far of this years long soap opera, and taking into consideration the "too many cooks" aspect, not sure what else too expect. Bottom line; a full cohesive album is probably not in the cards...eclectic and random sounds more like it.

Date: November 21, 2018 04:32

Hairball
slewan
In German there's a proverb saying 'Viele Köche verderben den Brei' (Too many cooks spoil the porridge)

This is a universal saying, yet in many places soup or broth is used instead of porridge.

From The American Heritage Idioms Dictionary:

Too many persons involved in managing an activity can ruin it, as in Without a conductor, every player had an idea for how the music should go—too many cooks spoil the broth .
This expression alludes to each of many cooks adding something to a soup, which finally tastes awful. It was already considered a proverb in 1575 (by George Gascoigne in The Life of P. Care ).

I have a feeling the new album won't be "ruined" by this process, but am expecting an eclectic mix of ideas....imagine Crosseyed Heart meets Superheavy if that's possible.
Or imagine Take it So Hard clashing with Let's Work. Or imagine if Getta Grip/England Lost would have had a few Keith guitar parts overdubbed on to them. Based on everything we know so far of this years long soap opera, and taking into consideration the "too many cooks" aspect, not sure what else too expect. Bottom line; a full cohesive album is probably not in the cards...eclectic and random sounds more like it.

This is like ..'Cook Cook Blues II'..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:42

Rocky Dijon

Wow. Kind of forgot what all has gone on. Or wasn't aware of. Nice summary!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2018 04:52

…. Stones are doin' fine ….
Notre-Dame cathedral took a couple hundred years ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 21, 2018 05:06

Rocky Dijon
Charlie and Ronnie attend the business meetings. They know far more than what they tell the media. Even Don Was and Chuck and Darryl know more than what they tell.

You betcha! However much or little they know, it's still more than us regular folks here know.

Rocky Dijon
The general public doesn't obsess over hitting the wall.

I guess the general public doesn't care at all right now. They will possibly care once the album is out, but who apart from a handful of Stones nerds gives a damn right now about whether they are working on it for two or three or four years or whatever now?

Hairball
Without a conductor, every player had an idea for how the music should go .

... free jazz? eye popping smiley

(Although, I once read that Coleman understood "free" here not as an adjective but as an imperative.)

Hairball
... but am expecting an eclectic mix of ideas.... a full cohesive album is probably not in the cards...eclectic and random sounds more like it.

Possibly not even the worst that could happen. Depending on how cohesive cohesive turns out to be, a too fully cohesive album might soon get boring. A little variety keeps things interesting also in the longer run. Maybe you don't like everything (or don't like everything at once), but it won't bore you, and you might discover things later on that you didn't notice earlier, or like things later on that you disliked earlier. That concept is quite alright with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 09:53 by doitywoik.

Date: November 21, 2018 05:09

doitywoik
Rocky Dijon
Charlie and Ronnie attend the business meetings. They know far more than what they tell the media. Even Don Was and Chuck and Darryl know more than what they tell.

You betcha! However much or little they know, it's still more than us regular folks here know.

Rocky Dijon

I guess the general public doesn't care at all right now. They will possibly care once the album is out, but who apart from a handful of Stones nerds gives a damn right now about whether they are working on it for two or three or four years or whatever now?

Hairball
Without a conductor, every player had an idea for how the music should go .

... free jazz? eye popping smiley

(Although, I once read that Coleman understood "free" here not as an adjective but as an imperative.)

Hairball
... but am expecting an eclectic mix of ideas.... a full cohesive album is probably not in the cards...eclectic and random sounds more like it.

Possibly not even the worst that could happen. Depending on how cohesive cohesive turns ot to be, a too fully cohesive album might soon get boring. A little variety keeps things interesting also in the longer run. Maybe you don't like everything (or don't like everything at once), but it won't bore you, and you might discover things later on that you didn't notice earlier, or like things later on that you disliked earlier. That concept is quite alright with me.

I agree. Thinking Ronnie and Charlie have no real idea of what is going on with the album and it's plans is silly.

They are in a multimillion-dollar record contract about it ... they BETTER know. they simply play it down ...

They know how far along they are and it's projected release time frame. Just like they know about the studio time booked for it. They have known that for at least a couple months I guarantee. They know why they are going lol Look Im not saying they know all the fine details like Mick or are as focused on the product as Keith but they know the scoop... roughly how far along it is... at least (generally speaking) ...and they know the ultimate plan with it ... trust me folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 05:11 by IanBillen.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 05:25

Rockman

Charlie actually WORKED on that one!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 21, 2018 05:27

Yeah rod .....…. he jazzed up the stones …..

ROCKMAN

Date: November 21, 2018 05:33

doitywoik
Rocky Dijon

The general public doesn't even really care about the Stones period anymore, let alone a new album and the soap opera surrounding it.
They only care or think about the Stones when they are on tour with casual fans like my sister and brother-in-law coming out of the woodwork to see them again.
It's like they're hibernating, and only wake up to the Stones when they hear the whistle blowing. Expecting to get a call from them any time now asking about pre-sales, prices, etc., etc., etc.

doitywoik
Hairball

Possibly not even the worst that could happen. Depending on how cohesive cohesive turns ot to be, a too fully cohesive album might soon get boring. A little variety keeps things interesting also in the longer run. Maybe you don't like everything (or don't like everything at once), but it won't bore you, and you might discover things later on that you didn't notice earlier, or like things later on that you disliked earlier. That concept is quite alright with me.

True enough, and I didn't intend that to be a criticism necessarily. At best there will be some rock, funk, reggae, blues, country etc. - very eclectic,
And worse case scenario, Mick songs vs. Keith songs as has been mentioned by some and pretty much the way they've worked the last few decades.
On a positive note, if there's a crap song, there's bound to be a good one to counterbalance it, and as you say sometimes there will be hidden gems that creeps up on you after the fact.

Date: November 21, 2018 05:34

bitusa2012
Rockman

Charlie actually WORKED on that one!

Hahaha...nice. thumbs up

Date: November 21, 2018 10:02

IanBillen
They are in a multimillion-dollar record contract about it ... they BETTER know. they simply play it down ...

Cool idea: "They ... uhm ... they pay me a million bucks, but noone told me yet what for ..." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

edit: Noone out there to pay me a million bucks? No need to tell me what for, I'd be happy to just grab'em and run ... smiling bouncing smiley

Hairball
... and I didn't intend that to be a criticism necessarily.

Don't worry, I didn't understand it as a criticism. I think we're pretty much in line here. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 10:05 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2018 13:32

Rocky Dijon

That's how it looks like if not one is blinded by one 'hit a wall' remark.. Of course it is understable that people are frustrated when they count years from the latest Stones studio album of originals, and read any sign, or lack of it, as a doom&gloom thing, but the fact remains that the Stones are making an album, and it will eventually come out when it is finished/suitable moment to relaese it. It all looks good from a Rolling Stones fan perspective.

Some comments.

As it looks like Carl Falk sessions were a part of the upcoming Stones album (will they make a Stones album or if rejected, some future Jagger solo thing, is another question). If we take into account how Falk described those sessions (never played so many blues chords in his life), and those little snippets Jagger has shared with us (raw riff and old-style blues harmonica pieces), it looks like Mick still/again has a rather strong blues rock mood on (add there the tour announcement piece). Probably the novelty factor would come from sounds and production: to ice the old cake differently. For example, Jagger sounds being into new pedals is we listen those guitar pieces - not typical guitar sound for a Rolling Stones album. Besides, "Gotta Get A Grip" also was a rather standard blues rock style Stones rocker; it was the production which made the trick of 'non-conventionality' - not conceptually and stylistically far from what Jagger once did with "Undercover of The Night". (By contrast, "England Lost" was actually a novel thing as far as Jagger's musical vocabulary goes.)

What goes for the title, I wouldn't yet rule out the possibility that that they might still use the NO FILTER one there. They didn't mention anything of a possible new album in announcing the tour, but that would be like playing it safe. No reason to claim anything of a new release in such an official occasion before it is actually is ready to go. Besides, it would be a nice extra push during the spring to promote the tour with a new album with a similar title. Who knows if the sales for the upcoming US tour have a role with the release of the new album. They started the sales this time, like BV has noted, earlier than in previous tours. There might be some new strategy behind it (add there that the ticket prices might be a bit higher for stadium gigs than before). If they are selling strongly now before Christmas season, there probably is not any current need for an album - and they might use that card later (or target it especially for Xmas 2019). What goes for the title being old news now - especially for Europeans - I don't think that's any problem. If the people attending to European tours liked those shows - as they most likely did - having that good vibe assiocated to the title might even work as a promotion for it. I think it is better not to think the current doings by old concepts. The times have changed, and selling records is harder and harder every day, and new tricks are needed/used.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 13:45 by Doxa.

Date: November 21, 2018 14:01

<Jagger sounds being into new pedals is we listen those guitar pieces - not typical guitar sound for a Rolling Stones album>

Not typical at all, but you can hear that sound on B2B and ABB (Gunface, Rain Fall Down etc.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:14

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

Rocky ... this information here in this post of yours is fantastic. You have given us more information about this album in a single post than we have had in 222 bloody pages (<and that is basically true). We thank you so much.

*You mention that it has been a 'strange process' .. I agree. As well ... as per you have described .. they have never have done/recorded an album like this before. I have a feeling/hunch this going to sound very 'fresh' .. in a good way. Seems as though they truly took their time in exploring options with this over the years.

Think about it .. this albums production and recording will have spanned three years .. and some change .. the writing dates back at least five ... Dayuum!

Ian

As interested as i am in a new album, i don't have the time to do that amount of sleuthing so I concur and thank you Senor Dijon for your thorough analysis!

Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:20

georgelicks
bv
It seems they will do another studio effort this year. Aiming for a spring release, before the North America tour 2019.

Word on Universal is about an early single release, maybe late January or February, then 2 more singles in April/May and the full album in late May or early June.

There obviously must have been a lot of information swirling around the end of October regarding the tour(locations, dates, etc.) and also the new album. Enough sources that this album thread became a sticky, but now unsticky. Time will tell.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who enjoy this occasion.....smileys with beer

Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 21, 2018 17:49

georgelicks
Maindefender
Time for a George licks update.....>grinning smiley<

There's nothing new to update more than the same story for last 2 and half years:

- the band is working on it in little bits, 3-5 days every few months.

- the band is not working together on it, they did a couple of sessions in 2015 and 2017 but mostly is Mick and Keith, and not together most of the time.

- Universal expect the new album done around March 2019 and they want to release it during the next US tour in June/July 2019 with a ticket bundle.

- The recording of this album mirrors Keith's latest solo album timeline, almost 4 years since the first session in 2011 to the final album released.

Lots of good quotes from Keith and Steve Jordan about Crosseyed Heart back on 2015, we can all expect the same answers next year about the new Stones album and the recording process.
[www.timeisonourside.com]

First single in late january/early february and new album in march 2019.
This is the timeline...until next update!!

Date: November 21, 2018 19:32

There was also talk of ticket/album bundles being sold for the upcoming tour.
Even though they could still do it I suppose, it might look odd when there's no absolute release date in sight. "Buy a ticket and get the new album...whenever it's finished".
Another thought is, they might surprise us with a new single the day tickets go on sale, and the single could be included as part of a "bundle" as a free download.
If some songs are absolutely finished and ready to go as has been claimed, then might be a good time to get something out there!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 21, 2018 19:54

Hairball
There was also talk of ticket/album bundles being sold for the upcoming tour.
Even though they could still do it I suppose, it might look odd when there's no absolute release date in sight. "Buy a ticket and get the new album...whenever it's finished".
Another thought is, they might surprise us with a new single the day tickets go on sale, and the single could be included as part of a "bundle" as a free download.
If some songs are absolutely finished and ready to go as has been claimed, then might be a good time to get something out there!

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: November 21, 2018 20:50

It would have been a good time to play a new song live when the tour was announced, as they did with ONNYA.

Date: November 21, 2018 21:07

Curious as to the production and overall sound...might also be eclectic given all the "cooks" involved.
A few songs might be minimal ala Blue and Lonesome/Crosseyed Heart, while for others they might utilize a WALL of sound ala Phil Spector which would give "the wall" a new meaning!

Date: November 21, 2018 21:15

Breaking news: Stones to hit Spector's Wall! Mick and Keith lost in sound! drinking smileysmoking smiley

Maybe the new stuff is so eclectic they can't play it live on stage? eye popping smiley

Date: November 21, 2018 21:35

Haha....grinning smiley...frustrating waiting yes, but still good times!

The thrill of the chase, it's the journey not the destination....winking smiley

Date: November 21, 2018 21:39

That gives me an idea! Maybe it's not the wall of sound but right the opposite?
OK, here we go: Breaking news! Stones to release experimental album: The Sound of Silence ... cool smiley

(And if you heard it here first, there's something wrong with your ears ... hot smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 21:40 by doitywoik.

Date: November 21, 2018 21:47

doitywoik
That gives me an idea! Maybe it's not the wall of sound but right the opposite?
OK, here we go: Breaking news! Stones to release experimental album: The Sound of Silence ... cool smiley

(And if you heard it here first, there's something wrong with your ears ... hot smiley)

smiling smiley

I'm probably going to wait until they release a Deluxe version which will include three blank cd's!

Date: November 21, 2018 21:52

Oh yes, and with a huge poster of you-know-what (don't wanna pronounce the evil w-w-w-word ...)!

If you still hear something, you've probably been up front one time too many ... (or it's Ian telling me to cut the crap grinning smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 21:52 by doitywoik.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home