Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...212213214215216217218219220221222...LastNext
Current Page: 217 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 9, 2018 12:26

As I've been very fond of repeating around here over the years...

I'm not really bothered what they play...

...I just like the noise they make playing it. grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 9, 2018 12:33

DandelionPowderman

It sounds dirty and good, just the way I want it thumbs up

Could you point out where it sounds dirty? Apart from Hoo doo blues, maybe, but the rest?

Date: November 9, 2018 12:47

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Could you point out where it sounds dirty? Apart from Hoo doo blues, maybe, but the rest?

Here are a few. Not exactly a sonical clarity fest, from the vocals to the guitars and the drums. Put on some Stevie Ray Vaughn afterwards and you'll get my drift.

Just Your Fool

Commit A Crime

I Gotta Go

Hate To See You Go

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 12:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 9, 2018 13:00

Rockman

EP ……..… . man that's steppin' back to thee start …...

I love the connection that Arthur Alexander wrote/recorded You Better Move On at FAME studios here in Muscle Shoals, the Stones include it on their first album and eventually come and record in Muscle Shoals years later smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 13:02 by snoopy2.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 9, 2018 13:43

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Here are a few. Not exactly a sonical clarity fest, from the vocals to the guitars and the drums. Put on some Stevie Ray Vaughn afterwards and you'll get my drift.

Just Your Fool

Commit A Crime

I Gotta Go

Hate To See You Go

Yeah, compared to Stevie Ray Vaugh (or Eric Clapton or Robert Cray) I agree. I guess we think differently about what's dirty or not, but that's alright.

This is what I call dirty:
Hey Bo Diddley
Midnight Rambler
Detention Home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 13:45 by matxil.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 9, 2018 13:59

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Just Your Fool

Commit A Crime

I Gotta Go

Hate To See You Go

Yeah, compared to Stevie Ray Vaugh (or Eric Clapton or Robert Cray) I agree. I guess we think differently about what's dirty or not, but that's alright.

Hey Bo Diddley
Midnight Rambler
Detention Home

OMG Rambler was the dirtiest its possible to be in this realm of consciousness, spine chillingly euphoric.
Mick was incredible there, and i don't just mean Taylor, just incredible, i'd never heard that before, thanks for posting matxil hot smiley

Date: November 9, 2018 14:02

keithsman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Just Your Fool

Commit A Crime

I Gotta Go

Hate To See You Go

Hey Bo Diddley
Midnight Rambler
Detention Home

OMG Rambler was the dirtiest its possible to be in this realm of consciousness, spine chillingly euphoric.
Mick was incredible there, and i don't just mean Taylor, just incredible, i'd never heard that before, thanks for posting matxil hot smiley

You've never heard MR from Brussels 1973 before, Riffie? eye popping smiley

Date: November 9, 2018 14:10

Well i had it on an old bootleg years ago on tape, and the sound was terrible, so i've never heard it like that before.
I'm not one for playing old bootlegs , i hate crap sound.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 9, 2018 14:22

keithsman
Well i had it on an old bootleg years ago on tape, and the sound was terrible, so i've never heard it like that before.

MR Brussels 73 has been out for decades in very good bootleg quality...at least the ones I got to know...and it has been released officially in various formats a couple of years ago...

Date: November 9, 2018 14:24

Listening to Rambler again there, brings to mind that Taylor got the best out of Keith, he reached far greater heights with Taylor, he got a bit lazy with the rhythm with Ronnie. Keith was best leaving the soloing to Taylor and concentrating on the rhythm. Just hearing that made me realise how watered down the Stones have become with the Chucks and Clifford's, plus Jagger was so much more potent when he just hovered around the mic stand and the band with his Jagger moves as opposed to going for a walk jog these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 14:33 by keithsman.

Date: November 9, 2018 14:26

shortfatfanny
keithsman

MR Brussels 73 has been out for decades in very good bootleg quality...at least the ones I got to know...and it has been released officially in various formats a couple of years ago...

I'm aware of all that thanks, i just play my records , i'm happy with that.

Edit, thanks for the heads up shortfatfanny i just googles wiki and it's available on triple LP winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 14:31 by keithsman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:26

Or just drop a new song or two like the younger artists do.

Working up some of the good in the vault music, would be great too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 9, 2018 15:27

Elmo Lewis
Or just drop a new song or two like the younger artists do.

Working up some of the good in the vault music, would be great too.

Why the comma? I don't know. Channeled "Paint It, Black", I guess. Sorry about that.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 9, 2018 16:23

corriecas
DandelionPowderman
matxil
EdubertoPalitroke
Blue and Lonesome is superb, Crosseyed Heart is one of my all-time favourite albums, I must say.

Blue and Lonesome is a collection of covers, most of which are not better than the originals (nor worse). Nice to listen to during a diner party, or while practicing some blues guitar, but hardly the best thing that ever happened to rock music. They have been able to play the blues ever since they started, the album might just has well come out in the 80s or 90s.
Crosseyed Heart is a very good album, but more than anything else it shows that if Keith would have chosen to really dedicate himself to a solo career, he might have grown out to achieve some artistical reputation on a par with Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen or Nick Cave.
Neither album means anything with relation to any upcoming Stones LP or EP. In the late 80's, Keith came out with Talk Is Cheap, which was also a very promising album but it didn't in any way whatsoever have a positive influence on the Stones output. Okay, maybe on the Keith songs on the Stones albums, giving him more confidence developing his own style, but overall the Stones albums since Talk Is Cheap have been just mediocre, with an occasional highlight on Bridges to Babylon.
Actually, if they bring out an EP, I would be more hopeful. Maybe 4 great songs they all really believe in is still possible. But I doubt it will connect to anything else going on the musical world, so the impact will be small. Never mind though, it's not completely impossible some of it might be enjoyable.

That's where our opinions differ. I like the sounds the Stones are making. It's the same songs, of course, but the Stones sound like... um, the Stones - hence the songs sound like the Stones, too. When I hear Mick sing, and the boys playing, there's something extra there. For me, B&L does NOT sound like some band going through the motions, cakewalking through numbers they can play in their sleep - far from it.

Fully agreed Dandelion !!!I think n feel the same. Its one of my fave Stones albums. Dirty n with a Swagger.
jeroen
B&L is great for that reason -IMO, of course-: no pretensions at all, just cool and fun music. You can even hear Keith going to a wrong chord on Just Yor Fool.

I do think Keith's (and Ronnie's) rocking solo albums led to Voodoo Lounge era, which was way different to "the Flashpoint years". Talk Is Cheap and Slide on Live are simple, yet raw and fun albums. And that's what I want from them: just plain rock and roll.
No ballads, no love songs, no modern trends, no sonic revolution, no rebelliousnes.
Within the super narrow boundaries of plain rock and roll you can find anything.

Despite many things I got to hate from these guys, I'm expecting a really great album.

In the Stones I trust.

Vamos los Stones.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 9, 2018 17:40

Yes love the guitars on BL - I always thought the dirty sounding guitars on Dirty Work were some of the best studio guitar work Keith and Ron did. DW is a great sounding guitar record just tune out the lyrcis.

Date: November 9, 2018 17:59

OpenG
Yes love the guitars on BL - I always thought the dirty sounding guitars on Dirty Work were some of the best studio guitar work Keith and Ron did. DW is a great sounding guitar record just tune out the lyrcis.
Over the years I got to appreciate at least the overall sound of the guitars on Dirty Work.
I sometimes feel scared to end up saying "well, it might be not the worst Stones' album". Satan forbid...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 9, 2018 18:03

keithsman
Listening to Rambler again there, brings to mind that Taylor got the best out of Keith, he reached far greater heights with Taylor, he got a bit lazy with the rhythm with Ronnie. Keith was best leaving the soloing to Taylor and concentrating on the rhythm. Just hearing that made me realise how watered down the Stones have become with the Chucks and Clifford's, plus Jagger was so much more potent when he just hovered around the mic stand and the band with his Jagger moves as opposed to going for a walk jog these days.

I'm sure a lot of people on this site would like a return to the days when it was just the five musicians on stage.
When I saw Brian Wilson recently..it was Brian plus around 11 musicians. All very Beach Boys sounding but the rationale for 11? That's double the original group. Fleetwood Mac same.
There must be some of the Legacy Acts out there who have not gone down the same road.
U2 maybe?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 9, 2018 19:04

DandelionPowderman
Will we have IORR-correspondents out in Paris for updates on the Stones's studio sessions? smoking smiley

I’m heading there right now (in the Thalys train as we speak...) to see the Magpie Salute (Black Crowes spin-off) to play the Elysée Montmartre tomorrow (Saturday)... So if anybody can point me in the right directioon, I’ll be happy to report back... smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2018 19:15

matxil
EdubertoPalitroke
Blue and Lonesome is superb, Crosseyed Heart is one of my all-time favourite albums, I must say.

Blue and Lonesome is a collection of covers, most of which are not better than the originals (nor worse). Nice to listen to during a diner party, or while practicing some blues guitar, but hardly the best thing that ever happened to rock music. They have been able to play the blues ever since they started, the album might just has well come out in the 80s or 90s.
Crosseyed Heart is a very good album, but more than anything else it shows that if Keith would have chosen to really dedicate himself to a solo career, he might have grown out to achieve some artistical reputation on a par with Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen or Nick Cave.
Neither album means anything with relation to any upcoming Stones LP or EP. In the late 80's, Keith came out with Talk Is Cheap, which was also a very promising album but it didn't in any way whatsoever have a positive influence on the Stones output. Okay, maybe on the Keith songs on the Stones albums, giving him more confidence developing his own style, but overall the Stones albums since Talk Is Cheap have been just mediocre, with an occasional highlight on Bridges to Babylon.
Actually, if they bring out an EP, I would be more hopeful. Maybe 4 great songs they all really believe in is still possible. But I doubt it will connect to anything else going on the musical world, so the impact will be small. Never mind though, it's not completely impossible some of it might be enjoyable.

Agree with you regarding Blue and Lonseome matxill- not really bad, but not really great either...just the Stones doing blues covers which they cranked out in two (or three?) days. Overall the band sound great together, and for the most part Mick's singing was great on it, but for me personally the tunes aren't truly elevated in the same way that some of their other past covers have been - Love in Vain, Stop Breaking Down, Just My Imagination, etc. - all which were truly put through the Stones machine and regurgitated to differentiate themselves from the originals. These blues covers are simply regurgitations without much thought put into them - how could there be when they were recorded spur of the moment? Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing exceptionally great either IMO.

As for the thought of an EP and/or releasing singles leading up to the a full new album...the more I ponder this, the less I like the idea. With the exception of Blue and Lonesome where they did release the best tracks as singles prior to release, seems every other single they've released on proper albums in the latter era have not been the best of the batch imo. The first single from ABB was Streets of Love/Rough Justice. While one might agree that RJ was a decent pick, why would the choose SOL to represent the new album? Then look at Bridges and the first single being Anybody Seen My Baby...far from the best on that album. Love is Strong is an alright pick from Voodoo Lounge, but then Mixed Emotions for Steel Wheels...not really a great album by any means, and it probably didn't make a difference which one was first single. Then for Dirty Work they released a cover tune as the first single, and while I like their take on Harlem Shuffle, odd that they would choose a cover tune (especially when the original is better imo).

So fast forward back to today...how and who decides on what is the "best" track to be released as a single? Mick and/or Keith? Universal? Does Chuck have a vote? Don Was? Maybe a combo of all of them? Or maybe none of that will apply if they haven't completed a full album. If thats the case, maybe they will release songs that have been completed (ala Don't Stop, Doom and Gloom, et al), while testing the waters before finishing other tunes. If the album is absolutely complete, I hope whoever picks the first singles think hard about it, and if they release singles in the order of completeion, hopefully they finished the best ones first. Imagine after all this time they release Streets of Love pt. II as the first single?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-09 19:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 9, 2018 19:32

Looking (on Wiki) at the groups chart 'success' regarding Singles since 1994, its a wonder why they/the record company bother to release them at all.
Would they sell any more than Mick's much derided recent solo effort?
Would they really make any difference to the album's commercial success?
Gets some air play and interest I guess, must be marginal though.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 9, 2018 19:35

Why not play the song Dirty Work live - the guitars sound awesome, Keith should play Sleep Tonight live along with others coming down again -

Just think of a stones live show without the war horses the possibilities are endless, they would of course have to up their game and take chances.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 9, 2018 21:09

jlowe
When I saw Brian Wilson recently..it was Brian plus around 11 musicians. All very Beach Boys sounding but the rationale for 11? That's double the original group.

Although not necessary for the early stuff, the rationale for 11 is for replicating the Pet Sounds-era tunes where the Wrecking Crew was involved...obviously well beyond five-piece. Songs from Pet Sounds, Smile and things like "The Little Girl I Once Knew" sound incredible on stage with the same instrumentation (horns, keys, etc.) used in the original recordings.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 9, 2018 21:09

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

Just Your Fool

Commit A Crime

I Gotta Go

Hate To See You Go

Hey Bo Diddley
Midnight Rambler
Detention Home

I'm with you here on this. Agreed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2018 03:25

OpenG
Why not play the song Dirty Work live - the guitars sound awesome, Keith should play Sleep Tonight live along with others coming down again -

Just think of a stones live show without the war horses the possibilities are endless, they would of course have to up their game and take chances.

Here's another way to look at it: think of all the GOOD and REALLY GOOD songs they've not played and don't play.

Hence no songs anymore since 1989-90 from their worst LP.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: November 10, 2018 04:40

Please Mick, no more bluesy crapola.
We want a new Stones album, just Stones original material

Date: November 10, 2018 12:49

MrHappy

Um this seems to be the problem, Mick has other ideas, maybe he doesn't want to make a traditional Stones album, this could be why the album has taken so long, he either struggles to come up with Stones material ( suitable material for a Stones album ) or he is just tired of that genre.
I don't think even he knows what music he want's to make anymore, hence the creative drought.
That stuff with Dave Stewart, or the writing with Super Heavy, not really Stones genre. I think this new album will be a surprise, i don't think it will be what we are expecting, it could be really good but in a different way, i suspect it will be an album of two halves, Keith's half and Mick's half, then we can have fun deciphering who wrote what smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 10, 2018 13:02

MrHappy

thumbs up

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 10, 2018 14:20

Hairball
Waiting for someone now to jump in and demand the album TODAY!!!! And it better be GREAT!!! winking smiley

To be honest, I've been waiting for this album for so long that a wait of 8 months or less feels like it's coming next week!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 10, 2018 14:35

jahisnotdead
Hairball
Waiting for someone now to jump in and demand the album TODAY!!!! And it better be GREAT!!! winking smiley

To be honest, I've been waiting for this album for so long that a wait of 8 months or less feels like it's coming next week!

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 10, 2018 15:06

GasLightStreet
OpenG

Here's another way to look at it: think of all the GOOD and REALLY GOOD songs they've not played and don't play.

Hence no songs anymore since 1989-90 from their worst LP.

That could be the theme of the tour. The No Warhorses Tour. Small venues. Just for, you know, folks like us.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...212213214215216217218219220221222...LastNext
Current Page: 217 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home