Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 2, 2018 07:37

Hairball
It was a massive wall that was hard as hell, and either it knocked some sense into them, or it knocked them out cold. Time will tell when they get her done and we can listen to the damn thing, but after 14 years without an album of originals, a bit of skepticism should be expected! Yes that darn Wall story was a while ago, but really not much progress happened after it as they rode the success of B&L and did the No Filter tour pt. 1 and 2. It's only been very recently that some truly worthy snippets from insiders have given this thing a possibility of finally being completed, but even then nobody really knows what the heck's been going on. Only Mick and Keith know for sure, while everyone else (including Don Was and Chuck) is chomping at the bit and hanging by a thread. Miracles happen, and when the new Stones album is officially announced, I'll be able to have some peace of mind. And even if it sucks, at least it will be nice to know that they actually finished it. Looking forward to the tour, and if an album happens, icing on the cake.

Lol .. well how hard that wall is or (was) is a speculative thing. We do know they kept doing new material right after that three-day blues stretch .. It isn't like they hit that wall and all progress stopped ..

As well Mick noted / added that the new material was sounding 'really good' well afterward. Don Was noted the energy in the sessions since had been 'F**G Great' ..

I truly think the wall thing was totally over-blown. I do think they drug their heels on this thing though. I do not think it was due to lack of creativity but of work ethic on the album and lack of focus on it.

Here is to hoping that miracle happens. If all goes well during this month .. I really think the new album is all but a reality. Universal & The Stones are expecting it to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 07:40 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2018 07:48

I truly think the wall thing was totally over-blown

Yep!! … just a saying … But around here it's been pulverized into boredom .…..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2018 08:23

IanBillen
Hairball
It was a massive wall that was hard as hell, and either it knocked some sense into them, or it knocked them out cold. Time will tell when they get her done and we can listen to the damn thing, but after 14 years without an album of originals, a bit of skepticism should be expected! Yes that darn Wall story was a while ago, but really not much progress happened after it as they rode the success of B&L and did the No Filter tour pt. 1 and 2. It's only been very recently that some truly worthy snippets from insiders have given this thing a possibility of finally being completed, but even then nobody really knows what the heck's been going on. Only Mick and Keith know for sure, while everyone else (including Don Was and Chuck) is chomping at the bit and hanging by a thread. Miracles happen, and when the new Stones album is officially announced, I'll be able to have some peace of mind. And even if it sucks, at least it will be nice to know that they actually finished it. Looking forward to the tour, and if an album happens, icing on the cake.

Lol .. well how hard that wall is or (was) is a speculative thing. We do know they kept doing new material right after that three-day blues stretch .. It isn't like they hit that wall and all progress stopped ..

As well Mick noted / added that the new material was sounding 'really good' well afterward. Don Was noted the energy in the sessions since had been 'F**G Great' ..

I truly think the wall thing was totally over-blown. I do think they drug their heels on this thing though. I do not think it was due to lack of creativity but of work ethic on the album and lack of focus on it.

Here is to hoping that miracle happens. If all goes well during this month .. I really think the new album is all but a reality. Universal & The Stones are expecting it to happen.

That darn wall...

Cheers Ian, it's just a matter of time now! smileys with beer

Date: November 2, 2018 08:41

Gaetzi
I suppose it depends on definition of ballad but I'd say Memory Motel and No Spare Parts are right up there as some of Mick's finer efforts as well.

No Spare Parts is a funky, mid-tempo thing, not a ballad. I like it anyhow, especially the first version.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 2, 2018 10:27

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

That darn wall...

Cheers Ian, it's just a matter of time now! smileys with beer

Maybe Don Was meant the new material sounds a lot like Pink Floyd eye popping smiley

(nm .. I carried to too far ..)

Cheers guy smileys with beer

Date: November 2, 2018 10:32

All Stones albums are awesome (even ABB and DW) for the first weeks. This will be a treat no matter how good it is (because it's always good stuff on Stones-records).

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 2, 2018 13:24

DandelionPowderman
All Stones albums are awesome (even ABB and DW) for the first weeks. This will be a treat no matter how good it is (because it's always good stuff on Stones-records).

Yes i agree, i happen to think Dirty Work was a fine album at the time compared to the competition.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 2, 2018 13:34

I think the Wall has fell ower some people on this board,specially the hangarounds of their god Keith.

Date: November 2, 2018 14:02

Ok Ian, the wall has been exaggerated out of proportion, but it's obvious they have found it difficult to complete this album, could be they hit a wall, more likely the wall they hit is a disagreement about the product they will send out to us.

As Dande just pointed out , the Stones have never made a bad album, and that is due to quality control and what Keith thinks is acceptable to release as Stones material, if England Lost is anything to go by, and Micks other 30 or 40 demos are in a different direction musically and possibly unsuitable for a Stones album, the wall might be Keith, i suspect Mick hit a wall and Keith was that wall.

There was no way Keith was going to allow that material to go on a Stones Album, Keith is aware this is the last ever album of originals to be made by the Stones and he cares about the legacy this album will leave and i think this time he put his foot down.

The other thing that makes the wall story more relevant is the fact that they have been working on it for two years and still have more to do, so we are talking about 2 to 3 years to complete an album.

Look Ronnie made a fantastic album in about two months, ( I Feel Like Playing ) it had worthy material on it that was as good as the last three Stones albums, there really is no excuse for the time delay on this new album, B&L was completed in a week, the tours they undertake span a couple of months each year, other than that the boys have all the time in the world to make an album once they decided to do so, there really is no explanation other than they had indeed hit a wall of sorts. I know they are older now and want more time with their family etc, that's understandable, but still they have a lot of time at their disposal do all that, these sessions on the new album are literally a week here and a week there.
Even Charlie and Ronnie sounded bemused as to what has happened to the album recently, they know something happened between Mick and Keith but they are not at liberty to say. They looked surprised with wry grins on their faces as to its whereabouts. I just think there is more to this than we know, we will probably never know why its taken so long, but the good news is its coming smiling smiley

And MisterDDD if you have nothing to say or add can you please stop trolling this thread.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 2, 2018 14:06

....classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.....

Date: November 2, 2018 14:19

I think Don Was said that they hit a wall, Riffie, not Mick in particular smiling smiley

Date: November 2, 2018 15:25

DandelionPowderman
I think Don Was said that they hit a wall, Riffie, not Mick in particular smiling smiley

I know Dande, just surmising who hit the wall and why, things go deep with Mick and Keith.
I'm sure they can write like nobody's business when they feel like it,,just look at Crosseyed Heart, Micks 40 demos, no wall in sight, more of a clash than a wall imho winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 2, 2018 15:48

The Wall is symbolic of the mental block fans have in accepting these are men in their seventies. They want to contrast Mick's present creative drive with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, an album written and recorded when Mick was in his fifties. Think about that for a moment. Think of someone in their fifties vs. someone who is 75. Try and let that sink in. It does matter. They are old. It doesn't matter how great of shape they're in and that they're able to perform a concert 14 nights out of 365. They are old men. Their priorities are different. Their identity isn't as a band, it's as four individuals with interests and families of their own. They still work together and are rewarded amazingly for doing so, but their priorities aren't what fans would want it to be and they can't be held to the standard they were capable of in their fifties, forties, or thirties. We had someone contrasting their productivity in the 1980s to now just recently. Think how insane that is. In January 1980, Mick and Keith were 36 years old. Someone wants to compare what people could do between 36 and 46 years of age with the same people at 75. There are times I think the place is a madhouse.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 2, 2018 15:50

if they dont title it "Hit the wall" I'll be disappointed big time

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 2, 2018 16:24

Rocky Dijon
The Wall is symbolic of the mental block fans have in accepting these are men in their seventies. They want to contrast Mick's present creative drive with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, an album written and recorded when Mick was in his fifties. Think about that for a moment. Think of someone in their fifties vs. someone who is 75. Try and let that sink in. It does matter. They are old. It doesn't matter how great of shape they're in and that they're able to perform a concert 14 nights out of 365. They are old men. Their priorities are different. Their identity isn't as a band, it's as four individuals with interests and families of their own. They still work together and are rewarded amazingly for doing so, but their priorities aren't what fans would want it to be and they can't be held to the standard they were capable of in their fifties, forties, or thirties. We had someone contrasting their productivity in the 1980s to now just recently. Think how insane that is. In January 1980, Mick and Keith were 36 years old. Someone wants to compare what people could do between 36 and 46 years of age with the same people at 75. There are times I think the place is a madhouse.

Agreed, to a degree.
There are of course exceptions, Willie Nelson and the late Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen come to mind. And of course Macca is no slouch either. These are the ones that spring to mind, but must be many others (especially in the blues genre).
So Age doesn't have to be a barrier.

I still don't see why if as you say (and I agree) they operate as 'individuals' rather than as a band, they can't operate like a latter day Beatles. Think of The White album...there are plenty of Paulie tracks but which John hated. But he was professional enough AND (surprisingly) able to put his ego aside. Of course part of the strength of their albums was the diversity of style. Are Stones fans just more conservative?

And if they can't accomodate the above why can't Mick and Keith just include a few more covers ...not as fillers..but just to broaden out the track list.(And of course get the album completed!) Eric Clapton, is not a prolific composer so has always included a batch of covers (standards or 'new'compositions). His fans clearly don't mind.

Rant over.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 2, 2018 16:29

keithsman
And MisterDDD if you have nothing to say or add can you please stop trolling this thread.
Lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 2, 2018 16:32

jlowe
Rocky Dijon

Agreed, to a degree.
There are of course exceptions, Willie Nelson and the late Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen come to mind. And of course Macca is no slouch either. These are the ones that spring to mind, but must be many others (especially in the blues genre).

I still don't see why if as you say (and I agree) they operate as 'individuals' rather than as a band, they can't operate like a latter day Beatles. Think of The White album...there are plenty of Paulie tracks but which John hated. But he was professional enough AND (surprisingly) able to put his ego aside. Of course part of the strength of their albums was the diversity of style. Are Stones fans just more conservative?

And if they can't accomodate the above why can't Mick and Keith just include a few more covers ...not as fillers..but just to broaden out the track list.(And of course get the album completed!) Eric Clapton, is not a prolific composer so has always included a batch of covers (standards or 'new'compositions). His fans clearly don't mind.

Rant over.

None of those are bands, where more people would have to agree on decisions, the musical direction etc..

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 2, 2018 16:38

troll
verb
gerund or present participle: trolling

INFORMAL
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
example:
"Posted by: keithsman

I wish Don Was had been a bit more specific about the wall they hit, its been so slow since he mentioned or hinted at Mick hitting a wall. Ok we got B&L as a result of the wall, but i'm getting the impression there is a real problem with Mick coming up with the goods, what if he really can't create at that level anymore, or that he can create like GGAG and England Lost, but he just can't make Stones songs anymore, its possible and understandable at his age.
I just don't think its his bag these days."

Date: November 2, 2018 16:45

Riffie, don't you think this sounds promising? Maybe Mick has acknowledged that back to basics works. Doesn't sound like he's hit a wall - in fact it sounds great!

[www.instagram.com]

Date: November 2, 2018 17:04

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
Rocky Dijon

Agreed, to a degree.

Rant over.

None of those are bands, where more people would have to agree on decisions, the musical direction etc..

U2.
Granted its Bono who does the lyrics these days, but that part doesn't seem to be the problem (with The Stones). U2 aren't as prolific as when they started out, but they can still deliver. And plenty of people (I'm not one of them) are happy enough to buy their product.

Date: November 2, 2018 17:09

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe
Rocky Dijon

Agreed, to a degree.

Rant over.

U2.
Granted its Bono who does the lyrics these days, but that part doesn't seem to be the problem (with The Stones). U2 aren't as prolific as when they started out, but they can still deliver. And plenty of people (I'm not one of them) are happy enough to buy their product.

They have sort of reach VL-time, compared to the Stones. Let's see where they are in 24 years..

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 2, 2018 17:22

IanBillen
Folks .. this all speculation as to who wrote what .. the friggin album is not even done yet Lol. We do not know what they wrote together from scratch .. maybe lots.. maybe not so much? What we DO know is they got together a few times.. about three that we know of ...to work and write ... We wont know what happened until well after. Everything eles is speculation.

As far as deadlines go .. they have had deadlines in the past and it has forced them to get it done.. but some theorized it may ..or could of hurt the product.

They wanted to take their time with this one without deadlines .. which was great
.. I liked that idea .. My gripe is they didn't work on it enough .. while doing everything under the sun in between.

Clear words, Ian. You nailed it. thumbs up

keithsman
I wish Don Was had been a bit more specific about the wall they hit, its been so slow since he mentioned or hinted at Mick hitting a wall.

The nature of the brick wall is possibly known, the following picture is said to have been leaked:

keithsman
Ok we got B&L as a result of the wall, but i'm getting the impression there is a real problem with Mick coming up with the goods, what if he really can't create at that level anymore, ...

confused smiley I rather thought it is/was(?) usually seen the other way round, i.e. Mick bursting with creativity (40+ demos that might boost the Stones into the 22nd, or 27th, or 34th, or whatever, century) and Keith on a creative low, only bringing in three (dynamite, though) riffs?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 2, 2018 17:31

Rocky Dijon

I was going to chime in on this age debate, and then Rocky said it perfectly. AMEN a thousand times.

Date: November 2, 2018 17:36

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe
Rocky Dijon

Agreed, to a degree.

Rant over.

U2.

They have sort of reach VL-time, compared to the Stones. Let's see where they are in 24 years..

Well U2 kicked off around 1976, which is 14 years after The Stones.
Now, 14 years takes us back to 2004. I somehow think they have more motivation and creativity in them than The Stones, sad to say.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 2, 2018 17:37

Rocky Dijon

hot smileyhot smileysmileys with beer
Fully agreed Rocky.
jeroen

Date: November 2, 2018 18:15

maumau

...winking smiley

Some day we all might thank the "wall" for being there, because had they not hit it, they might have rushed out an album just for the sake of doing so. Whether or not "hitting the wall" was just for one song or more doesn't matter - the fact is they stepped back and ultimately changed their course of direction. But as luck would have it, they stopped in their tracks and recorded/released B&L, and from that point onwards they've carefully (and very slowly) worked on the task at hand. I've said in the past that an extra year or two is nothing in the big picture, and if the results are that much better than good news for everyone - the band and fans alike.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 2, 2018 18:21

Hairball
maumau
if they dont title it "Hit the wall" I'll be disappointed big time[/q

Some day we all might thank the "wall" for being there, because had they not hit it, they might have rushed out an album just for the sake of doing so. Whether or not "hitting the wall" was just for one song or more doesn't matter - the fact is they stepped back and ultimately changed their course of direction. But as luck would have it, they stopped in their tracks and recorded/released B&L, and from that point onwards they've carefully (and very slowly) worked on the task at hand. I've said in the past that an extra year or two is nothing in the big picture, and if the results are that much better than good news for everyone - the band and fans alike.

hot smileysmileys with beerdrinking smileyhot smiley
Its gonna be a bham wham in the face of the world and show , once more, the Stones are the Best.
jeroen

Date: November 2, 2018 18:26

Quoting screwed up corriecas - attempted to fix.smiling smiley

corriecas

Hairball
maumau

hot smileysmileys with beerdrinking smileyhot smiley
Its gonna be a bham wham in the face of the world and show , once more, the Stones are the Best.
jeroen

smileys with beerAll in all, we're just another brick in the wall....winking smiley

Date: November 2, 2018 18:29

At least Mick and Keith appear to have a better personal and working relationship together than Roger Waters and David Gilmour.
Well, just about, anyway.

Date: November 2, 2018 18:35

DandelionPowderman
Riffie, don't you think this sounds promising? Maybe Mick has acknowledged that back to basics works. Doesn't sound like he's hit a wall - in fact it sounds great!

[www.instagram.com]

OMG that is music to my ears DP. Bring it on, promising indeed, yerrrrharrrr

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...205206207208209210211212213214215...LastNext
Current Page: 210 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home