Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 31, 2018 17:31

harlem shuffle
Let Keith make all the songs,lyricvise alsow.Let him play all guitars,sing on all songs.He can play drums on all songs alsow.Dont need anyone but Keith on the new album.Let him play some faboulos guitarsolos alsow,Have to be the best album of all time.

Irony is sometimes a complicated act to succeed in.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 31, 2018 18:04

Happy24
Chris Fountain
It would be great to see them release a smash hit that just blows you away the first time you here it such as "Satisfaction" Start Me Up " or even "Rocks Off".

Then again, if they create a Goats Head Soup or melodic type album that will be fine too.

I just want the music mixed and produced well such as Tattoo You, for example. I do not want another ABB type album. I just couldn't stomach it.

Doom and Gloom actually worked excatly this way for me.

+1

Date: October 31, 2018 18:17

harlem shuffle
My biggest problem is you and some other Jaggerhaters,nothing else

Well, you got my attention, I'll give you that smiling smiley

Why should I hate my favourite singer, btw?

Perhaps you can elaborate this over a beer if you're in the Oslo-area sometime?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 18:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 31, 2018 18:29

"The Jaggerhaters"....would have been a good name for a punk rock band c.76/77. smiling smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 31, 2018 19:05

Can i be a Keith worshiper who hates Micks solo stuff but still loves Mick.

Is that allowed ?

Can i be a huge Stones fan that goes to see them as much as i can but get frustrated with the set lists ?

I don't think any of us hate any of the Stones but they can try our patience at times, do you think i didn't get embarrassed about keith's lack luster performances and terrible attempts at SFTD solo's until he cleaned up his act this year.

They are all worthy of criticism at times, just this week the Ronnie interview and book is laughable and pathetic at the same time, other times when i see him play the ancient art of weaving with Keith i'm just in awe of the man, he's performances lately are just incredible, and to get to that standard so late in life i take my hat off to him. Other times in the past when he has been drunk and completely forgets to play whole chunks of song's i used to tire of the man, but still the love is there as a fan.

So yeah frustration can appear as hate sometimes but hate is a strong word, not one that comes to mind when we think of the Stones.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2018 22:23

Hate may be too strong a word, we agree keithsman.
But so are "laughable and pathetic" when describing Ronnie's art book.

May not like it, may not like the price, but it's a good example of over the top rhetoric, usually reserved for anything solo Mick related, that turns into negative back and forth's. That kind of disrespect just invites strong responses/defenses from fans. Seems obvious, but when the predictable defenses from fans come in, you are offended and surprised. Vicious circle.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 31, 2018 22:24

keithsman
Can i be a Keith worshiper who hates Micks solo stuff but still loves Mick.

Is that allowed ?

Can i be a huge Stones fan that goes to see them as much as i can but get frustrated with the set lists ?

I don't think any of us hate any of the Stones but they can try our patience at times, do you think i didn't get embarrassed about keith's lack luster performances and terrible attempts at SFTD solo's until he cleaned up his act this year.

They are all worthy of criticism at times, just this week the Ronnie interview and book is laughable and pathetic at the same time, other times when i see him play the ancient art of weaving with Keith i'm just in awe of the man, he's performances lately are just incredible, and to get to that standard so late in life i take my hat off to him. Other times in the past when he has been drunk and completely forgets to play whole chunks of song's i used to tire of the man, but still the love is there as a fan.

So yeah frustration can appear as hate sometimes but hate is a strong word, not one that comes to mind when we think of the Stones.

smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 31, 2018 22:59

Rokyfan
maumau
mick is no neil young,
other artists of the same age have a drive to create and put out that is much bigger and motivated, I think it is very personal, exspecially for people over 70. also, there are no countless numbers of "dinasaur acts" alive and kicking new stuff and, it must be said, mostly they dont fill as big venues as the Stones. Which is, clearly, the basic reason, the Rolling Stones are still around and have been for many years now.

Mick is very energetic of course but his motivations are diverse, in a way, musically speaking, he is less free, free from the need of success and, of course, free from a band and a brand name.

Young, for instance, is engaged in the political message he wants to give thru his music and also he gives less a sh+t about what could be successful or not.

also young, dylan and others are soloists. They dont have to discuss with co-authors about what is good and what is not. they dont have to exchange demoes with themselves before arranging studio time with pals. they recruit band or session men the moment the songs are ready to be recorded. Of course there is creative studio time, but has a very different meaning. they dont "hit walls". If they dont feel it they just quit for a while or for ever. see what's happening with Tom Waits..

that is why 14 years seem no strange to me and my expectations are little, though I am looking forward to hear the new album

Good points, but it's more than just Mick having to consult with a co-author. It's that Mick and Keith together wrote, created great music together, and it's clear that once their personal relationship soured in the early 80's, the creative muse there dried up and we got Mick songs and Keith songs. Not the same. Are they going into the studio to work out the songs together and record this new album together as a band? That would be a start.

Well, if we truly regard them as great songwriters, they should be able to produce the 'goods' without their song writing partner. Its not like Elton John/Taupin where lyrics and music are developed quite separately.
The Lennon/McCartney relationship at a personal level was not good in 1968/9. But the group's albums in that period are as good as their earlier work, imo.
Mick and Keith should let their egos and pride to one side....and just get the job done!! Pity Universal can't give them a deadline....many artists work better to a deadline.

Date: October 31, 2018 23:08

listening again to crosseyed heart after some time. such a good and warm album
hope some of this warmth is kept on the new rs album

Date: October 31, 2018 23:18

I agree with u Rokyfan: are they working together on the new songs or are we going to get yet another mick plus keith album?
of course there have ever been micks and keith songs but in the good old times the blend was made in the studio... hope the hit on the wall and the sessions after GGAP brought them back on that track

Date: November 1, 2018 02:26

iuju

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 00:57 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: November 1, 2018 02:35

MisterDDDD
Hate may be too strong a word, we agree keithsman.
But so are "laughable and pathetic" when describing Ronnie's art book.

May not like it, may not like the price, but it's a good example of over the top rhetoric, usually reserved for anything solo Mick related, that turns into negative back and forth's. That kind of disrespect just invites strong responses/defenses from fans. Seems obvious, but when the predictable defenses from fans come in, you are offended and surprised. Vicious circle.

Well MisterDDDD i have a lot of respect for Ronnie as a guitarist with the Stones, i don't have to have respect for his recent interview or his book.

He came across as a narcissist , not the down to earth guy we have all grown to love, i'm sure the interviewer had it in for him to a certain extent and probably portrayed Ronnie in that manner, even so he said the things he said but i suspect he was being tongue in cheek, if so that got lost in the translation of the ambitious interviewer. My bad for falling for the trap, in retrospect he was set up i think.
And yes MisterDDDD you are right , it can be a viscous circle, you and i go round in circles, i just don't understand why people can't have their view on things without feeling reprimanded, you turn this thing into being back at school, we are all grown up's here, we know the Stones are not perfect and set themselves up for cynicism and criticism, it is what it is, they are what they are, and people will react.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 02:38 by keithsman.

Date: November 1, 2018 10:27

maumau
listening again to crosseyed heart after some time. such a good and warm album
hope some of this warmth is kept on the new rs album

I agree maumau, it reminded me of Tattoo You, it's rock and roll grown up, a nice mixture of music to suit most fans, in a way the ballads songs are right up there with the faster tempo tunes, they slow things down while being uplifting at the same time.
Not for everyone and maybe not for the younger audience but i was 16 when Tattoo You was released and at the time thought it was the best album from anyone ever, and to this day i rate it right up there with EOMS and Sticky Fingers for play-ability.
An album of mostly rockers is a bit fake now coming from 70 something year old's, the lyrics to songs like Rough justice come across as phony.

Incidentally i know so many people , especially women that say they only like the ballads from the Stones, never underestimate the power of a great ballad.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 1, 2018 17:13

jlowe
Rokyfan
maumau
mick is no neil young,
other artists of the same age have a drive to create and put out that is much bigger and motivated, I think it is very personal, exspecially for people over 70. also, there are no countless numbers of "dinasaur acts" alive and kicking new stuff and, it must be said, mostly they dont fill as big venues as the Stones. Which is, clearly, the basic reason, the Rolling Stones are still around and have been for many years now.

Mick is very energetic of course but his motivations are diverse, in a way, musically speaking, he is less free, free from the need of success and, of course, free from a band and a brand name.

Young, for instance, is engaged in the political message he wants to give thru his music and also he gives less a sh+t about what could be successful or not.

also young, dylan and others are soloists. They dont have to discuss with co-authors about what is good and what is not. they dont have to exchange demoes with themselves before arranging studio time with pals. they recruit band or session men the moment the songs are ready to be recorded. Of course there is creative studio time, but has a very different meaning. they dont "hit walls". If they dont feel it they just quit for a while or for ever. see what's happening with Tom Waits..

that is why 14 years seem no strange to me and my expectations are little, though I am looking forward to hear the new album

Good points, but it's more than just Mick having to consult with a co-author. It's that Mick and Keith together wrote, created great music together, and it's clear that once their personal relationship soured in the early 80's, the creative muse there dried up and we got Mick songs and Keith songs. Not the same. Are they going into the studio to work out the songs together and record this new album together as a band? That would be a start.

Well, if we truly regard them as great songwriters, they should be able to produce the 'goods' without their song writing partner. Its not like Elton John/Taupin where lyrics and music are developed quite separately.
The Lennon/McCartney relationship at a personal level was not good in 1968/9. But the group's albums in that period are as good as their earlier work, imo.
Mick and Keith should let their egos and pride to one side....and just get the job done!! Pity Universal can't give them a deadline....many artists work better to a deadline.
Perhaps, however, one thing is not clear, Mick and Keith wrote together only in the 60s, already in the 70 they wrote separately, while maintaining the level high.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 1, 2018 17:27

There aren't a lot of people that can properly deliver a ballad in the rock and roll world. Garcia certainly could.. Stella Blue? the man could give you goose bumps with that one on a good night. Mick can do it well, Gram Parsons was probably the best.

Date: November 1, 2018 17:42

Gaetzi
There aren't a lot of people that can properly deliver a ballad in the rock and roll world. Garcia certainly could.. Stella Blue? the man could give you goose bumps with that one on a good night. Mick can do it well, Gram Parsons was probably the best.

Not forgetting Keith ?

Date: November 1, 2018 18:02

Touche. I'd actually say Keith delivers a great ballad. Better than Mick, to be honest.

Date: November 1, 2018 18:10

Gaetzi
Touche. I'd actually say Keith delivers a great ballad. Better than Mick, to be honest.

Mick is outstanding on Wild Horses and Angie but doesn't always hit the mark live the way Keith does with the slow numbers. It's not always from the heart from Mick the way it is with Keith.

Date: November 1, 2018 18:33

I suppose it depends on definition of ballad but I'd say Memory Motel and No Spare Parts are right up there as some of Mick's finer efforts as well.

Date: November 1, 2018 20:53

Oh sorry forgot Memory Motel, Mick does a fantastic job on that one live.

No Spare Parts live ? the version i managed to find and listening to isn't live and its hurting my ears. winking smiley

Give me Let It Loose any day smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 21:43 by keithsman.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 1, 2018 22:55

Best balladists ever Rod Stewart and Jagger

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 1, 2018 23:57

Folks .. this all speculation as to who wrote what .. the friggin album is not even done yet Lol. We do not know what they wrote together from scratch .. maybe lots.. maybe not so much? What we DO know is they got together a few times.. about three that we know of ...to work and write ... We wont know what happened until well after. Everything eles is speculation.

As far as deadlines go .. they have had deadlines in the past and it has forced them to get it done.. but some theorized it may ..or could of hurt the product.

They wanted to take their time with this one without deadlines .. which was great
.. I liked that idea .. My gripe is they didn't work on it enough .. while doing everything under the sun in between.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 03:30 by IanBillen.

Date: November 2, 2018 00:15

I wish Don Was had been a bit more specific about the wall they hit, its been so slow since he mentioned or hinted at Mick hitting a wall. Ok we got B&L as a result of the wall, but i'm getting the impression there is a real problem with Mick coming up with the goods, what if he really can't create at that level anymore, or that he can create like GGAG and England Lost, but he just can't make Stones songs anymore, its possible and understandable at his age.
I just don't think its his bag these days.

Date: November 2, 2018 00:30

Lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 2, 2018 01:21

You don't think 14 years to make an album isn't a wall lol, that's really funny if you think that's normal for a genius..grinning smiley
Even in the 80's with Micks solo album's She's The Boss and Primitive Cool during WW3 we still got Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You , Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels,that's 7 albums from Mick in 9 years, if this 14 year absence from an album of originals isn't a wall then what can i say.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 2, 2018 03:35

keithsman
I wish Don Was had been a bit more specific about the wall they hit, its been so slow since he mentioned or hinted at Mick hitting a wall. Ok we got B&L as a result of the wall, but i'm getting the impression there is a real problem with Mick coming up with the goods, what if he really can't create at that level anymore, or that he can create like GGAG and England Lost, but he just can't make Stones songs anymore, its possible and understandable at his age.
I just don't think its his bag these days.

HOOOOOOOOLLLY SCHMOOOOKES .. Lol smh. It was one comment ..one sentence from a session over one song that occured three years ago folks. It has not been a recurring theme .. He said their last songwriting session was "something to behold" .. Why is there never a mention of that?

Guys .. Gals.. it was a sentence FFS Lol .. This line has been repeated and speculated and added to so much over the past couple years it's ridiculous.

It wasn't anything detrimental then and it is irrelevant now.. it has long since been irrelevant. It isn't like the guy said .. "they simply can't write together anymore or among themselves .. this thing is never going to make it" ...

See here .. >> Let that go-

Date: November 2, 2018 03:41

winking smiley

Date: November 2, 2018 03:54

It was a massive wall that was hard as hell, and either it knocked some sense into them, or it knocked them out cold. Time will tell when they get her done and we can listen to the damn thing, but after 14 years without an album of originals, a bit of skepticism should be expected! Yes that darn Wall story was a while ago, but really not much progress happened after it as they rode the success of B&L and did the No Filter tour pt. 1 and 2. It's only been very recently that some truly worthy snippets from insiders have given this thing a possibility of finally being completed, but even then nobody really knows what the heck's been going on. Only Mick and Keith know for sure, while everyone else (including Don Was and Chuck) is chomping at the bit and hanging by a thread. Miracles happen, and when the new Stones album is officially announced, I'll be able to have some peace of mind. And even if it sucks, at least it will be nice to know that they actually finished it. Looking forward to the tour, and if an album happens, icing on the cake.

Date: November 2, 2018 04:02

Lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 2, 2018 04:17

It's the calm before the storm...the excitement is almost at fever pitch...almost! smiling smiley

New Stones album of original material? Been so long - 14 loooong years - almost forgot how exciting it can all be.

Bring it on. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...204205206207208209210211212213214...LastNext
Current Page: 209 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home