Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...202203204205206207208209210211212...LastNext
Current Page: 207 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 27, 2018 23:22

Let's hope all this time they're taking is because they truly want to make a good album. Voodoo was retro. Bridges has not aged well. Bigger Bang is unmemorable. They sounded so good on Blue and Lonesome. They won't get the bass right, they simply can't at this point. (And let's pray they don't let Mick play bass). Let's hope they're inspired by something new.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2018 23:38

Rip This
Dude's got a 60 year career and your still slagging him for quality?....unfuckenbelievable.....what horseshit.

I had a feeling some might take that as a slam against Mick which it wasn't - it was a reply to keithsman who said he had "writers block".
Obviously Mick has written some genuinely great masterpieces throughout his 60 year career, but in the context of the latter/current era which is what we happen to be talking about (clearly), not so much IMO.
Getta Grip/England Lost...some like it and some thought it was crap - whatever, it's definitely not on the same level of quality of some of his greatest, and the general recepetion to them sort of spells that out.
Then again, you might think the quality of Getta Grip is equal to and on the same level as some of the greatest of his 60 year career, and more power to you. I just happen to think differently.
While he defnitely doesn't have writers block (40 demos, etc.), there seems to be something lacking in the quality of what he's written during the latter era - not a slag, just my opinion.

*EDIT: And to balance it out, the same issues with quality could be said about Keith in the latter/current era. Not only does he have a much slower pace with his writing these days, but I really don't think anything of this latter era compares with the masterpieces he wrote in his prime. That said, I thought Crossyed Heart was absolutely great and heartfelt, and gave promise as to what could be on a new Stones album, while at the same time some people thought that album was crappy and boring. Can't please all the people all the time, especially when there are so many variables when talking about the Rolling Stones. The bottom line is that both Mick and Keith, whether solo or with the Stones, have had their moments in the last few decades - but those moments are few and far between. Hoping the two can come together in what could ultimately be a perfect storm, and the final results will be absolute greatness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-27 23:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 28, 2018 00:17

Taint2U. In stores on Grandparents Day. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 28, 2018 00:52

Hairball
Rip This
Dude's got a 60 year career and your still slagging him for quality?....unfuckenbelievable.....what horseshit.

I had a feeling some might take that as a slam against Mick which it wasn't - it was a reply to keithsman who said he had "writers block".
Obviously Mick has written some genuinely great masterpieces throughout his 60 year career, but in the context of the latter/current era which is what we happen to be talking about (clearly), not so much IMO.
Getta Grip/England Lost...some like it and some thought it was crap - whatever, it's definitely not on the same level of quality of some of his greatest, and the general recepetion to them sort of spells that out.
Then again, you might think the quality of Getta Grip is equal to and on the same level as some of the greatest of his 60 year career, and more power to you. I just happen to think differently.
While he defnitely doesn't have writers block (40 demos, etc.), there seems to be something lacking in the quality of what he's written during the latter era - not a slag, just my opinion.

*EDIT: And to balance it out, the same issues with quality could be said about Keith in the latter/current era. Not only does he have a much slower pace with his writing these days, but I really don't think anything of this latter era compares with the masterpieces he wrote in his prime. That said, I thought Crossyed Heart was absolutely great and heartfelt, and gave promise as to what could be on a new Stones album, while at the same time some people thought that album was crappy and boring. Can't please all the people all the time, especially when there are so many variables when talking about the Rolling Stones. The bottom line is that both Mick and Keith, whether solo or with the Stones, have had their moments in the last few decades - but those moments are few and far between. Hoping the two can come together in what could ultimately be a perfect storm, and the final results will be absolute greatness.

Couldn't have put it better myself Hairball thumbs up only to add that the 40 demos that are apparently not fit for purpose on a Stones album don't qualify Mick as not having writers block, putting words on paper is not essentially being prolific.
These 40 demos haven't even found their way to a Mick solo album, so it's possible to believe Mick has writers block to some degree, if Mick really thought those 40 demo's were up to scratch and Keith rejected them, i'm sure he would have released them by now as a solo project.
My guess is that the best of those 40 demo's materialized into England Lost & GGAG.
As you rightfully said Hairball, it looks like the quality of his product is in question.

Date: October 28, 2018 01:01

You make a good point there keithsman.

But maybe....just maybe some of those 40 demos were deemed worthy by Keith and the rest, and will indeed be on the new Stones album?
Could have been it was just Getta Grip/England Lost that Keith had an issue with, and rightfully so as it turned out they really weren't Stones worthy.
Whatever the case, glad Mick released them on his own, rather than forcing the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 01:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 28, 2018 01:29

Rocky Dijon
I take it in stride. There's people that don't think they're capable of anything worthwhile but still post. There's people that only like Keith. There's people that think Ronnie should write and sing. There's people that want another blues album or a country album or a soul album or a Christmas album. It takes all kinds to make a Stones board.

Well there's your answer: just throw in all of the above genres (including a Christmas carol of course) and it just might satisfy everyone.
Definitely a Ronnie track or more than one is needed.
He managed to complete his last solo album in less than 6 months (according to the RS Database) so maybe his colleagues could learn something.

Date: October 28, 2018 01:44

Hairball

But maybe....just maybe some of those 40 demos were deemed worthy by Keith and the rest, and will indeed be on the new Stones album?
Could have been it was just Getta Grip/England Lost that Keith had an issue with, and rightfully so as it turned out they really weren't Stones worthy.
Whatever the case, glad Mick released them on his own, rather than forcing the issue.

I seem to remember Don Was mentioning they hit a wall ( the result was B&L ) Mick had already mentioned the 40 demo's before any talk of hitting a wall, so i'm sure those demo's were available to Keith and the rest of the Stones at that point.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 28, 2018 01:51

Hairball

The general reception of new music from a 74+ old guy is the same for everyone, nowadays nothing sticks or nothing last, die hard fans are there during the first week and then no one else cares at all, no matter how good or bad the stuff is.

Macca's latest album went 1-8-55-72-146-out in the US chart and he was the most successful of the old acts during the last 4-5 years, he went #1, but after a month his album is dead and gone.

The Stones can release Brown Sugar now and no one would care except die hard fans, sad but true.

Date: October 28, 2018 01:52

jlowe
Rocky Dijon
I take it in stride. There's people that don't think they're capable of anything worthwhile but still post. There's people that only like Keith. There's people that think Ronnie should write and sing. There's people that want another blues album or a country album or a soul album or a Christmas album. It takes all kinds to make a Stones board.

Well there's your answer: just throw in all of the above genres (including a Christmas carol of course) and it just might satisfy everyone.
Definitely a Ronnie track or more than one is needed.
He managed to complete his last solo album in less than 6 months (according to the RS Database) so maybe his colleagues could learn something.

Good point jlowe, Ronnie did make that fantastic solo album in no time at all, he's no slouch, nether is Charlie and the rejuvenated Keith.

So you are contradicting yourself from the previous post you made where you said
Mick must get bored with the long winded, drawn out approach to his groups recording method. Not surprising he goes off and does other projects.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 28, 2018 01:57

They can sell over 2 millions...For sure!thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2018 02:56

georgelicks
Hairball

The general reception of new music from a 74+ old guy is the same for everyone, nowadays nothing sticks or nothing last, die hard fans are there during the first week and then no one else cares at all, no matter how good or bad the stuff is.

Macca's latest album went 1-8-55-72-146-out in the US chart and he was the most successful of the old acts during the last 4-5 years, he went #1, but after a month his album is dead and gone.

The Stones can release Brown Sugar now and no one would care except die hard fans, sad but true.

Point taken, and I'm sure Keith's suffered the same lukewarm reception from the general masses - maybe even worse than both Mick and Macca's releases?
I haven't looked at a billboard chart in a while, but the last time I did it was saturated with Drake and the like - hardly anybody cares about the old farts anymore!

Well then...how about we look at the general reception to Getta Grip/England Lost strictly amongst the diehards here on IORR.
Not based on any scientific data ha, but it's my estimation that two out of ten thought it was good, three out of ten were indifferent, and five out of ten thought it was complete trash.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 02:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 28, 2018 06:16

Hairball
georgelicks
Hairball

Point taken, and I'm sure Keith's suffered the same lukewarm reception from the general masses - maybe even worse than both Mick and Macca's releases?
I haven't looked at a billboard chart in a while, but the last time I did it was saturated with Drake and the like - hardly anybody cares about the old farts anymore!

Well then...how about we look at the general reception to Getta Grip/England Lost strictly amongst the diehards here on IORR.
Not based on any scientific data ha, but it's my estimation that two out of ten thought it was good, three out of ten were indifferent, and five out of ten thought it was complete trash.

One thing is for sure .. they sure took their grand old time with this album. Georgelicks and BV pointed out that the underlying chatter in Stones camp was that they really want to make this record as good as possible and won't settle until it's optimal .. even if that means letting it develope (I suppose that is a good thing at the end of the day).

Seems like there was much more focus on 'songwriting' thus far ..but in shorter increments spanned out over long periods of time .. I mean think about it .. this album is three years in the making (even got a special by-product album out of it).

Seems like they simply need one more good chunk of recording with the band and then prolly will mix it some time next year not long before release. They are going to tour with it .. Yes! ... possibly get a solid three songs out of her a night ..well .. hopefully.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 06:33 by IanBillen.

Date: October 28, 2018 09:34

georgelicks
Hairball

I don't follow georgelicks, B&L was a success by today's standards, but lets face it, it's not Brown Sugar, it didn't have a single that could set the world alight like Brown Sugar, not by any stretch of the imagination, if the new album was of the quality of Sticky Fingers, of course it would have good sales that would exceed beyond one month
The problem with old acts today is the quality of product, not the lack of interest in the market, McCartney isn't releasing songs like The Long And Winding Road or Yesterday or albums like Revolver or The White Album

What can you expect from the public, the Stones have not offered one single album of originals in nearly 14 years. 14 years was the time between 1964 to 1978, a span that included all the Stones best quality and quantity of work.

The points you make about sales are kind of irrelevant because the quality of product just isn't there anymore to compare it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 12:20 by keithsman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 28, 2018 10:24

georgelicks
Hairball

They know that and in part speaks to The album “coming out when it comes out”. It will get proper advanced media hype and maybe 2-3 strong singles to bolster early sales. All we care about is an album with staying power, F everything else...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2018 14:48

georgelicks
Hairball

I'm not so sure...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 28, 2018 17:19

georgelicks echoes the theory of rock as dead
here's a recent article that had some good points though it is written in the "vice" style that is: you cant be smart if you have 2 lines without a punch

[noisey.vice.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 28, 2018 17:49

maumau
georgelicks echoes the theory of rock as dead
here's a recent article that had some good points though it is written in the "vice" style that is: you cant be smart if you have 2 lines without a punch

[noisey.vice.com]

I don't read anything that uses "tropes" and "meme" in the opening paragraph. I know a "based off" is not far behind.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2018 20:02

keithsman
georgelicks
Hairball

What can you expect from the public, the Stones have not offered one single album of originals in nearly 14 years. 14 years was the time between 1964 to 1978, a span that included all the Stones best quality and quantity of work.

That's sort of staggering when you stop to think about it.

Date: October 28, 2018 20:43

treaclefingers
keithsman
georgelicks
Hairball

That's sort of staggering when you stop to think about it.

it really is

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2018 23:47

….14 years …

wow amazing patience or maybe we are amazing patients ????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2018 01:16

[Chorus]
So help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
You can put back my heart in its hole
Oh mama, I'm crying
Tears of relief
And my pulse is now under control

The Rolling Stones ‘Dear Doctor’

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 29, 2018 01:23

I know people are slagging off Mick with his solo single and the resultant poor sales.
But as far as I can recall did not Memo from Turner and Keith's Rudolph singles barely trouble the charts?
I mention this because both singles were issued at a time when the Stones were certainly on a commercial high.
Come to think of it other than Bill's (not to be taken seriously) Je Suis single, its hard to think of any solo single that has been a hit. I stand to be corrected of course.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 29, 2018 01:27

Memo from Turner was a hit in my country

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2018 01:29

[Chorus]
Oh help me, please doctor, I'm damaged
There's a pain where there once was a heart
It's sleeping, it's a beating
Can't you please tear it out, and preserve it
Right there in that jar?

>grinning smiley<
What a open paragraph!

Date: October 29, 2018 04:48

Hairball

I hope you are happy as we are my guy ... an album ready for a tour next summer. .. It's the plan for both them .. and now for Universal .. Studio is booked.. general release time frame in talks as is the tour.

They are planning on having it ready by their tour ..

Wait a min .. I don't 110% blame you .. but don't tell me you are skeptical of the plan? It's all but technically 'official'. Now... I know nothing is for sure and anything can happen ... and it's not 110% ...but if all is good health wise this is their POA (plan of action).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-29 04:49 by IanBillen.

Date: October 29, 2018 05:04

Ian - do you not think I read this thread daily and know every single detail regarding the plans for an album and tour?

Why would I not be happy?

And who says I'm skeptical?

I think your imagination is getting the best of you as you're attempting to draw conclusions that don't exist.

Ian - you need to Getta Grip!!!! grinning smiley

Date: October 29, 2018 05:50

Hairball
Ian - do you not think I read this thread daily and know every single detail regarding the plans for an album and tour?

I think your imagination is getting the best of you as you're attempting to draw conclusions that don't exist.

Lol ... Well I thought perhaps you were skeptical because I commented / directly replied to one of your earlier comments as soon as this news broke and you never responded is all .. Was certainly no biggy .. I just thought perhaps you were not buying it or so convinced.

Not a big deal .. Rock onward.

Date: October 29, 2018 06:10

IanBillen
Hairball

Lol ... Well I thought perhaps you were skeptical because I commented / directly replied to one of your earlier comments as soon as this news broke and you never responded is all .. Was certainly no biggy .. I just thought perhaps you were not buying it or so convinced.

Well there will always be a bit of skepticism as I've learned not to judge a book before I've read it, and in the case of this album not to judge it before it's even released!
But to clue you in on how I feel, here's what I wrote just three days ago in this very thread:

Hairball
georgelicks
bv
It seems they will do another studio effort this year. Aiming for a spring release, before the North America tour 2019.

Word on Universal is about an early single release, maybe late January or February, then 2 more singles in April/May and the full album in late May or early June.

Thanks for the updates bv and georgelicks!

Wow...for once in this thread I'm left speechless...almost!
The uncertainty is almost about to become a reality...hopefully!!
New album + new tour = happy days are here again for Stones fans!!! smileys with beer

And maybe you should peruse the tour thread where much of my focus has been recently - there's lots of happiness and excitement all over the place!

Come on Ian, I know it's been a long time since a new album and we've had our fun in this thread the last couple of years, but now that things are starting to get real - don't get weird on me now!!!
It's almost time for celebration, not time for psychosis!!! grinning smileysmileys with beer

Date: October 29, 2018 09:24

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Well there will always be a bit of skepticism as I've learned not to judge a book before I've read it, and in the case of this album not to judge it before it's even released!
But to clue you in on how I feel, here's what I wrote just three days ago in this very thread:

Hairball
georgelicks
bv
It seems they will do another studio effort this year. Aiming for a spring release, before the North America tour 2019.

Word on Universal is about an early single release, maybe late January or February, then 2 more singles in April/May and the full album in late May or early June.

Thanks for the updates bv and georgelicks!

Wow...for once in this thread I'm left speechless...almost!
The uncertainty is almost about to become a reality...hopefully!!
New album + new tour = happy days are here again for Stones fans!!! smileys with beer

And maybe you should peruse the tour thread where much of my focus has been recently - there's lots of happiness and excitement all over the place!

Come on Ian, I know it's been a long time since a new album and we've had our fun in this thread the last couple of years, but now that things are starting to get real - don't get weird on me now!!!
It's almost time for celebration, not time for psychosis!!! grinning smileysmileys with beer

grinning smiley I simply thought that quite possibly you weren't buying the whole schmeil is all .. (wasn't put-off at all).

However and still ... If I wasn't being weird .. I wouldn't be being Ian ...

grinning smiley smileys with beer

Date: October 29, 2018 10:07

Rockman
….14 years …

wow amazing patience or maybe we are amazing patients ????????

I'm counting three years (but that feels like a lifetime, too)...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...202203204205206207208209210211212...LastNext
Current Page: 207 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home