Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2018 23:52

JumpingKentFlash
I hope it has some more mature lyrics. Not overly mature, but at least more than Yellow/Jello. I can’t remember which review it was. It was for ABB. They wrote that the album had a tad too many “she done me wrong” songs, and I agreed with that in hindsight. Of course those kinds of lyrics harkens back to the old blues songs, but I think we’ve heard quite a bit too many of Jagger’s poppy blues lyrics set to a countryesque up tempo pop ballad. You know the kind I’m talking about: The songs that always has a couture dress, a rendezvous or someone who’s becoming a grouch. That particular kind of Stones tune I’m REALLY sick of. I wanna have a bluesy ballad where Mick sings about his feelings of getting old and getting near the end of the line. Or a rocker where he’s lambasting the direction of the world. Or a soul tune where he’s professing his love for his children. Maybe even a song where he “talks” to the large amount of followers he and the band has had for the past 56 years, saying “We never knew you personally, but thanks for coming along for the ride. It was much more fun with all of you here”. Or maybe about the passing of his father. Something like that. I’ve always loved Fool To Cry for being so down to earth and it must’ve been strange for the fans in 1976 to suddenly hear Mr. D himself sing a lovely song about his daughter (even though he’s putting a social spin on it). They should do that again. And it wouldn’t only work for ballads only either. They could easily put the right lyric to a rocker. Bruce Springsteen does it all the time.

Well said JumpingKentFlash, but please leave Springsteen out of this discussion. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-02 23:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: October 3, 2018 01:42

I agree with much of what you say, I really do, but let them be whatthe are, or at least don’t want to FORCE them to be something they might not be inclined to be.
In ABB there is plenty of what you say you want, as there is in GODDESS, you just have to find it. You also have to work out the perspective, Jagger lyrically is famously ironic, and deserves mum praise for that line of songwriting.
I love It Won’t Take Long as an eloquent older rocker about the flash of life. Yet it’s very Stones! BOMH RFD LIND Sweet Neo Con which everyone hates but I love for its colours to the mast, calling everyone and everything as he sees it. DBeauty for its total expose of corruption of power. TPIEmpty a really beautiful ache of a song. In fact the album is awash with a mature look at the world, albeit dark, bitter, sharp, but it feels urgent, and all through the Stones prism, and then you have ONNYAgain a fantastic latter day rocker that gets under your skin and makes you tap. And of course I love SOL, its anthemic quality, its hook, then LaughIND which is properly epic, just wish it had been twice as long...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 3, 2018 01:59

I think The Rolling Stones get to write whatever songs they feel like writing at this point in time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2018 06:41

No one here "forces" them to do anything, especially when it comes to crap songs and great songs. What a load!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2018 07:33

guyrachel
I agree with much of what you say, I really do, but let them be whatthe are, or at least don’t want to FORCE them to be something they might not be inclined to be.
In ABB there is plenty of what you say you want, as there is in GODDESS, you just have to find it. You also have to work out the perspective, Jagger lyrically is famously ironic, and deserves mum praise for that line of songwriting.
I love It Won’t Take Long as an eloquent older rocker about the flash of life. Yet it’s very Stones! BOMH RFD LIND Sweet Neo Con which everyone hates but I love for its colours to the mast, calling everyone and everything as he sees it. DBeauty for its total expose of corruption of power. TPIEmpty a really beautiful ache of a song. In fact the album is awash with a mature look at the world, albeit dark, bitter, sharp, but it feels urgent, and all through the Stones prism, and then you have ONNYAgain a fantastic latter day rocker that gets under your skin and makes you tap. And of course I love SOL, its anthemic quality, its hook, then LaughIND which is properly epic, just wish it had been twice as long...

ABB is criminally underrated. There is a bit of crap, but knock off half a dozen of the weakest numbers and you have an excellent album of 10 songs...and for the love of god squeeze under the radar in there. Get it in 'under the radar'!

Date: October 3, 2018 07:41

Under the Radar - the best song on ABB that never was...relegated to some bonus disc that's long been forgotten.

Date: October 3, 2018 07:44

Hairball
Under the Radar - the best song on ABB that never was...relegated to some bonus disc that's long been forgotten.

True. And some have said that it needed more work to get it to a better more 'final state'. I don't have a problem with that...if you're telling me they could have produced it even been better, I'll go for it because I already love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 08:42 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 3, 2018 08:13

Hairball

Also enjoy Don’t want to Go Home, a nice Mick and Keith effort.

Date: October 3, 2018 08:19

JumpingKentFlash
I hope it has some more mature lyrics. Not overly mature, but at least more than Yellow/Jello. I can’t remember which review it was. It was for ABB. They wrote that the album had a tad too many “she done me wrong” songs, and I agreed with that in hindsight. Of course those kinds of lyrics harkens back to the old blues songs, but I think we’ve heard quite a bit too many of Jagger’s poppy blues lyrics set to a countryesque up tempo pop ballad. You know the kind I’m talking about: The songs that always has a couture dress, a rendezvous or someone who’s becoming a grouch. That particular kind of Stones tune I’m REALLY sick of. I wanna have a bluesy ballad where Mick sings about his feelings of getting old and getting near the end of the line. Or a rocker where he’s lambasting the direction of the world. Or a soul tune where he’s professing his love for his children. Maybe even a song where he “talks” to the large amount of followers he and the band has had for the past 56 years, saying “We never knew you personally, but thanks for coming along for the ride. It was much more fun with all of you here”. Or maybe about the passing of his father. Something like that. I’ve always loved Fool To Cry for being so down to earth and it must’ve been strange for the fans in 1976 to suddenly hear Mr. D himself sing a lovely song about his daughter (even though he’s putting a social spin on it). They should do that again. And it wouldn’t only work for ballads only either. They could easily put the right lyric to a rocker. Bruce Springsteen does it all the time.

Sounds like you want something like Crosseyed Heart. That’s what I’m hoping for....

Date: October 3, 2018 09:03

Maindefender
JumpingKentFlash

Sounds like you want something like Crosseyed Heart. That’s what I’m hoping for....

Oh please...not that. We have that already.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 3, 2018 09:57

JumpingKentFlash

Very well Put, indeed. thanks
jeroen

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 3, 2018 12:58

A "Time out of mind " lyrical stlye Stones album would be interesting.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 3, 2018 14:14

I watched some of Charlie Watts' interview with NME last night. Charlie doesn't like the new songs the Stones have been recording!!!

confused smiley angry smiley confused smiley angry smiley

That's okay. We all know Charlie is a jazz guy and doesn't really dig a lot of rock music. The only ones that need to like the Stones' new stuff is Mick and Keith. As soon as they're happy with what they've got in the can, then there might be some progress in releasing it.

One thing that gives me hope is that currently it's fashionable to drop an album with little or no advance notice. The chances the Stones will do such a thing is almost zero, but I still dream of a sudden surprise album drop.

Date: October 3, 2018 14:23

jahisnotdead
I watched some of Charlie Watts' interview with NME last night. Charlie doesn't like the new songs the Stones have been recording!!!

confused smiley angry smiley confused smiley angry smiley

That's okay. We all know Charlie is a jazz guy and doesn't really dig a lot of rock music. The only ones that need to like the Stones' new stuff is Mick and Keith. As soon as they're happy with what they've got in the can, then there might be some progress in releasing it.

One thing that gives me hope is that currently it's fashionable to drop an album with little or no advance notice. The chances the Stones will do such a thing is almost zero, but I still dream of a sudden surprise album drop.

Was that a fresh interview, or the same one we discussed here months ago?

Lots of things may have happened since back then smiling smiley

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 3, 2018 14:31

I think it was a few months after Blue And Lonesome was released, so nothing new. Charlie said they had done so many sessions that he had no clue as to how the new album was really progressing.

I hope they're making good progress on it. Part of me wishes that Mick and Keith would let Ronnie into the songwriting process.

If they announce a tour with a new name and tour artwork, then I'll start to get excited. If the next tour is another leg of No Filter, I'll suspect that the new album is still a long way away.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 3, 2018 21:29

I’m baffled by their recent Instagram etc posts. Maybe the new album is closer than we think. Those could be older clips and photos they’re uploading now to get interest stirring IMHO not much being added on beggars,circus, and voodoo except for us hardcore folk and it would not interfere with sales of new music. With no added tracks how many copies will beggars sell? I have the vinyl, hybrid, the original 1986 release, sacd. Not buying it again for a jagger interview or a mono Sympathy. Oh yeah, I have the mono set beggars too!

Date: October 3, 2018 22:02

Voodoo deluxe is the Christmas release for this year- new album maybe/hopefully next Christmas.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 3, 2018 22:51

jahisnotdead
I think it was a few months after Blue And Lonesome was released, so nothing new. Charlie said they had done so many sessions that he had no clue as to how the new album was really progressing.

I hope they're making good progress on it. Part of me wishes that Mick and Keith would let Ronnie into the songwriting process.

If they announce a tour with a new name and tour artwork, then I'll start to get excited. If the next tour is another leg of No Filter, I'll suspect that the new album is still a long way away.

Are the Stones working on a new album?
“When we did the blues album ‘Blue and Lonesome’, that was in the middle of the second lot of sessions for the album. We’ve done another lot since then. So we’ve done three or four sets of sessions. But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really [laughs]. But Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go in to the studio I think, ‘well that was the one’. But it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet.”

[www.nme.com]

By the way - interesting CW quote about David Bowie

Speaking about Bowie’s death in 2016, Watts said that he was surprised by the outpouring of grief. “I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs,” Watts explained. “But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 22:56 by mtaylor.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 4, 2018 08:43

Bashlets
I’m baffled by their recent Instagram etc posts. Maybe the new album is closer than we think. Those could be older clips and photos they’re uploading now to get interest stirring IMHO not much being added on beggars,circus, and voodoo except for us hardcore folk and it would not interfere with sales of new music. With no added tracks how many copies will beggars sell? I have the vinyl, hybrid, the original 1986 release, sacd. Not buying it again for a jagger interview or a mono Sympathy. Oh yeah, I have the mono set beggars too!

thumbs up

Date: October 4, 2018 08:49

Bashlets

I'd like to introduce your entire statement here into evidence and suggest that you WILL IN FACT buy it again for a jagger interview or otherwise.

it is in your DNA to do so.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 10, 2018 07:43

guyrachel

A Bigger Bangs lyrical content sang about the times (circa 2005-06) and also about mature love ...

However, it also exhibited the younger ..adolescent side of things in a few songs with some good humor. The lyrics to ABB were basically simple ..straight forward for a straightforward .. simplistic type of album.

While the album didn't have many monster type singles .. every track was at least 'good' ... The album was very solid IMO .. great 'rock' based album that demonstrated that 'in-your-face' Stones that they until this release had shelved for quite some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 07:45 by IanBillen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 10, 2018 09:23

mtaylor
jahisnotdead

“When we did the blues album ‘Blue and Lonesome’, that was in the middle of the second lot of sessions for the album. We’ve done another lot since then. So we’ve done three or four sets of sessions. But I don’t write the songs so I don’t have the final say. Once we’ve played them I’m not interested really [laughs]. But Mick has to live with them and put his voice on them. Keith will sit for hours listening. I don’t know where we are with them to be honest. Every time we go in to the studio I think, ‘well that was the one’. But it’s whether they’re happy with it and I don’t know if they are yet.”

[www.nme.com]

Speaking about Bowie’s death in 2016, Watts said that he was surprised by the outpouring of grief. “I thought people would have been very sad obviously, and he was a lovely guy and he wrote a couple of good songs,” Watts explained. “But for me, he wasn’t this musical genius.”

He said the same thing about Brian Jones.

Date: October 10, 2018 11:49

24FPS
mtaylor
jahisnotdead

[www.nme.com]

He said the same thing about Brian Jones.

No, he didn't.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 10, 2018 16:44

Chuck Leavell talks with Bob Harris of KFGO about working on the "new" album -
"A little over a year ago actually. It's been a while."

He also moves away from his previous prediction of a Spring 2019 release to a more nebulous "at some point."

[kfgo.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:23

treaclefingers
I'd like to introduce your entire statement here into evidence and suggest that you WILL IN FACT buy it again for a jagger interview or otherwise.

it is in your DNA to do so.

This is why treaclefingers, for many years of one of my favorite contributers, has now taken the top spot as the finest poster at IORR.

Date: October 10, 2018 18:27

bye bye johnny

He also moves away from his previous prediction of a Spring 2019 release to a more nebulous "at some point."

[kfgo.com]

Honestly Mr. Leavell would not be my go to guy for status on a new Rolling Stones album. Even on Blue and Lonesome he wasn't live in the studio when the songs were laid down. Time for a George licks update.....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 10, 2018 18:45

corriecas
JumpingKentFlash

Very well Put, indeed. thanks
jeroen
Listen to MJ on Voodoo Lounge interview and yoy will know how he writes lyrics nowadays...

Date: October 10, 2018 19:34

Maindefender
bye bye johnny

[kfgo.com]

Honestly Mr. Leavell would not be my go to guy for status on a new Rolling Stones album. Even on Blue and Lonesome he wasn't live in the studio when the songs were laid down. Time for a George licks update.....>grinning smiley<

Chuck knows less than Charlie, and Charlie knows next to nothing.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 10, 2018 21:10

Hairball
Maindefender
bye bye johnny

[kfgo.com]

Chuck knows less than Charlie, and Charlie knows next to nothing.

Perhaps .. but Chuck knows more than any other member on this board ..
He plays live with them all through since they started this album and he's recorded on it .. he's heard the stuff and played on it. He's actually been <in> the studio with em on this. He has <first-hand knowledge> .. none of us do.

With that said.. The Stones and their entourage skip the details with him and many times do not keep him posted until they actually need him. I realize that. He has an idea (his best guess) .. but doesn't sound like he's got any official word on this albums hopeful release time frame. Still ..say what ya will ... considering the aforementioned his best guess is 1,000 times better / more probable than any of ours (jus sayin).

Let's put it this way .. he wouldn't .. <it isn't his place and he gets that> and they wouldn't let him know everything even if he did BUT ... if it came down to it ... he could actually call Mick Jagger himself and ask him. I'm plenty sure he has the guys phone number at this point.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 21:16 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2018 21:16

The other side is Chuck knows plenty but has been specifically told to keep his mouth shut. Ask Ronnie, he is the most prone to speak out of turn.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...199200201202203204205206207208209...LastNext
Current Page: 204 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home