Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 22, 2018 06:49

Hairball
A new album will help sell tickets for the upcoming tour even if they ignore playing 90% of it.

A touch it will. However I think a new tour will benefit the album more over (even if they only play a few songs a night from (2-3) .. I don't think it will help it out a ton ..but it will give it a 'slight boost' than what it otherwise would have sales wise (I still feel a new RS will sell rather well). It will outsell Blue & Lonesome .. (which also sold well and was actually a surprise hit record).

Ian

Date: September 22, 2018 06:56

Rocky Dijon
IanBillen
Certainly, I know Steve Jordan has worked with Keith (and Don Was) .. many times over the years on various projects .. but has he ever been involved in an 'all rolling stones' album?

Well, Steve is on DIRTY WORK if that counts.

I didn't know Steve had worked with Don Was before. Not doubting you, just unaware of it.

Not certain, but I don't think Don has been at any of the sessions with Steve this time around. Likewise, Carl Falk and Matt Clifford. Soldatti may know otherwise, but I'm not certain how much he is at liberty to say.

Steve looks a bit like Wesley Snipes as Blade.

I actually was referring to this album. I 'think' Don Was was at Germano with Keith and Jordan was there during the making of <this> album. We know they are all together there right now but it was my understanding Jordan and Don Was were with Keith the last time Keith went there a few weeks ago (in which Mick was not present to my knowledge). I only know this because I thought it was mentioned either here or put together via Instagram or Twitter blurbs by them.

Either way .. upon the latest update .. Seems Don Was is there now with em all (jordan .. Keith .. Mick).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 06:58 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2018 07:39

IanBillen
Hairball
A new album will help sell tickets for the upcoming tour even if they ignore playing 90% of it.

A touch it will. However I think a new tour will benefit the album more over (even if they only play a few songs a night from (2-3) .. I don't think it will help it out a ton ..but it will give it a 'slight boost' than what it otherwise would have sales wise (I still feel a new RS will sell rather well). It will outsell Blue & Lonesome .. (which also sold well and was actually a surprise hit record).

Ian

It works both ways.

A massive ad campaign for the new album with a mention of "see the Stones live in select cities" will help sell tickets. Likewise, promotion for the tour with a mention of "new album out now" will help sell albums.
And if they sell it at the merch stands, plenty of casual fans who don't already have it might purchase it. Blue and Lonesome sold fairly well partially because it was released just prior to Christmas during the gift buying season. Overall, not sure how well the new album will sell in this day and age - time will tell, but alot of it will depend on the quality of it and the reviews that follow.

Date: September 22, 2018 09:03

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Ian

It works both ways.

A massive ad campaign for the new album with a mention of "see the Stones live in select cities" will help sell tickets. Likewise, promotion for the tour with a mention of "new album out now" will help sell albums.
And if they sell it at the merch stands, plenty of casual fans who don't already have it might purchase it. Blue and Lonesome sold fairly well partially because it was released just prior to Christmas during the gift buying season. Overall, not sure how well the new album will sell in this day and age - time will tell, but alot of it will depend on the quality of it and the reviews that follow.

I def hope they don't sell it at merch stands at the show ..that's tacky ..

The new album will sell very well. It has been so long and it could easily be their last (this time for SURE lol) it will have a certain draw based on that .. As well with the success of Blue & Lonesome at almost three years old it will be just enough to be in peoples minds yet not forgotten. Curiosity will help sell it in this case.

One more thing .. let me do the decision making around here.. I'm running this ship now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 09:05 by IanBillen.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 22, 2018 09:05

instant and unannounced releases are for (younger) acts that can presume to go viral thru social media (and/or presume to be somewhat relevant or groundbreaking with their output)
not the case of a new stones album in 2018 i am afraid

GGAG/EL release is much more a prove of that than of the quality of the songs themselves, imo

if they do such a thing it can mean

1) they (and universal) dont know what they're doing and apply randomly marketeting strategies just because "that is cool".. i doubt..
2) they (and universal) got so super confident about the material to change the usual pattern completely

if 2 was true (veeery unlikely) then we might be in for a surprising good/different/strong album

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 09:19 by maumau.

Date: September 22, 2018 09:13

Ian Billen

They can give it away for free with every ticket purchased to bump up the numbers. David Gilmour did it when he last toured with a new album a few years ago, and lo and behold he had a number one hit!
Alot of bands give out "freebies" with the purchase of a ticket these days - whether a physical cd or download, and the Stones will probably do the same.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 22, 2018 09:54

I have a gut feeling this is gonna be a great album.just another 9 months or so before its released..
Jeroen

Date: September 22, 2018 11:36

Hairball
Ian Billen

They can give it away for free with every ticket purchased to bump up the numbers. David Gilmour did it when he last toured with a new album a few years ago, and lo and behold he had a number one hit!
Alot of bands give out "freebies" with the purchase of a ticket these days - whether a physical cd or download, and the Stones will probably do the same.

Well sure, ok .. I get all that ..but I don't consider that actual sales of an album ... Not sure how soundscan counted that but I got it. Did it hit number one in US or only UK? (only curious). Regardless ... it's still pretty darn tacky .. It's not The Stones style (thankfully). Why not throw in a pack of Mcdonald's gift certificates with the package .. while we're visiting tacky-ville?

Besides .. I thought we agreed that I was taking over from this point on? < bahahah ... kidding, naturally grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 12:48 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 11:47

What happens to Keith's hair?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 22, 2018 17:05

Rockman

It says "Gibson" on the guitar, but which one is it?
Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 22, 2018 17:12

KR mus have a hundred pair of those aqua sneakers....or Patti really is a saint.

Date: September 22, 2018 17:59

rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

The microphone is a Shure SM7 .. that much I know and the amp next to and behind him are Fender 'Tweed' series amps .. from the late forties and 1950's. Looking close to the amp to the right of him seems to be miced with an SM57 ($80 - $100 microphone) << Not to worry .. it's used in EVERY studio .. Tis 'theee' all-around benchmark dynamic microphone. I'm not sure exactly which models of the Tweed series amps are being used as there were several year variations/models of these during that time frame ...However, they both are Fender Tweeds. As was noted... The guitar looks to be a Gibson (<I'm not sure on that one though).

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 18:07 by IanBillen.

Date: September 22, 2018 19:38

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Well sure, ok .. I get all that ..but I don't consider that actual sales of an album ... Not sure how soundscan counted that but I got it. Did it hit number one in US or only UK? (only curious). Regardless ... it's still pretty darn tacky .. It's not The Stones style (thankfully). Why not throw in a pack of Mcdonald's gift certificates with the package .. while we're visiting tacky-ville?

Besides .. I thought we agreed that I was taking over from this point on? < bahahah ... kidding, naturally grinning smiley

Rattle That Lock via wiki: David Gilmour

UK Albums - 1
US Billboard - 5
US Top Rock Albums - 1

And number 1 (and top 10) in many other countries. Not sure how the free giveaways were tallied, but evidently they counted - perhaps georgelicks can fill us in on that process.

As for tacky not being the Stones style...GRRRRegory the gorilla begs to differ

smiling smiley

PS - We're now at page 200, and that recent pic of Keith and Mick finally together in the studio fulfills my prediction of something "big" happening when we hit page 200!
The next big newsworthy event will happen on page 250...perhaps a pic or a clip of them actually jamming together...or having lunch together...stay tuned and keep the thread alive! thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2018 19:47

IanBillen
rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

The microphone is a Shure SM7 .. that much I know and the amp next to and behind him are Fender 'Tweed' series amps .. from the late forties and 1950's. Looking close to the amp to the right of him seems to be miced with an SM57 ($80 - $100 microphone) << Not to worry .. it's used in EVERY studio .. Tis 'theee' all-around benchmark dynamic microphone. I'm not sure exactly which models of the Tweed series amps are being used as there were several year variations/models of these during that time frame ...However, they both are Fender Tweeds. As was noted... The guitar looks to be a Gibson (<I'm not sure on that one though).

Ian

The small one is an old Champ, no?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 22, 2018 20:03

Did anyone else see a short clip of Keith playing
‘Blue Suede Shoes’
And Mick was singing in the background!

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 22, 2018 21:01

rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

ES-125 ?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 22, 2018 21:43

z
rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

ES-125 ?
Great, new music - soon a new record

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 22, 2018 22:40

mtaylor
z
rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

ES-125 ?
Soon??about 9 more months likely
Jeroen

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 22, 2018 23:37

corriecas
mtaylor
z
rollmops
Rockman

Thank you,
Rockandroll,
Mops

ES-125 ?
Soon??about 9 more months likely
Jeroen
Waiting since 2005 for a new record with own new material - then 9 more months is "soon"..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 23, 2018 00:17

never mind. I don't know which guitar it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-23 00:19 by tumbled.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2018 00:31

Maybe Sept. 25th??
[twitter.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 23, 2018 00:36

That would seem to be related to the complete 1994 Miami show being released as part of FROM THE VAULT.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 23, 2018 01:09

200 thread pages and no shoes.
Where are my shoes??? Where is the supossed new álbum???

Christmas is very close, a pair of new shoes and s couple of CDs

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 23, 2018 01:48

‘Well, it's one for the money
Two for the show
Three to get ready
Now go, cat, go’

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 23, 2018 01:59

Sometimes I try to reason with people. Other days I stay quiet and watch people post demands they finish the album NOW or they'll have a tantrum. Still others come along and deny the album will ever be done. Both seem to think a correlation exists between the number of meaningless posts from fans on a message board and the pace men in their mid-seventies choose for their creative collaboration.

"Perhaps if there were 300 posts by Halloween, they would work harder!"

"@#$%& them and their families, vacations, movies, and session work. I want what I want and I want it this second or else I'll post the same thing tomorrow!"

Date: September 23, 2018 04:31

Wondering about possible titles for some of the tunes they've dabbled with over the last few years, and for that matter wondering what sort of working titles they might have come up for the actual album itself?
I know there's been various tongue-in-cheek posts about all that throughout this thread as not everyone's content with 'just the facts Mam' (especially when there haven't been very many), but seems the band might have something more substantial at this point in time. Their last compilation title was GRRR which was silly, and the last original album was A Bigger Bang which seemed lacking in imagination. So will they try to be humorous ala GRRR, or serious ala Bigger Bang? Maybe just a self titled album to keep it classy and simple? Probably a bit early to speculate on all that, so maybe some more lighthearted posts are the order of the day. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:17

Love the idea of just a simple self titled album.
*Perhaps with a slight twist; red vinyl, red packaging.. aka- The Red Album

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:31

Despite of what guitar model Keith is playing (Gibson ES-125T?) I like what I'm seeing on that photo. Play the blues, Keith!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-23 05:58 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2018 08:45

Hairball

That isn't true these days. The LP will sell 193,000 copies the first week, 32,000 the second week and then fall off the cliff.

They'll play to 3.7 million people regardless of a new LP though.

The Stones were ahead of the "game" with tours vs LP sales as far back as 1972 - because EOMS sold for shit but the troubling tour was successful regarding attendance.

As far as I know, at least with the Stones, they didn't start naming tours after a new LP until STEEL WHEELS, which ended with A BIGGER BANG.

If the Stones were to tour, say, EOMS 2020, they'd still only do 14 shows or whatever. Maybe it would help to get the shows to all sell out but that's an extremely minimal impact.

Date: September 23, 2018 09:57

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Rattle That Lock via wiki: David Gilmour

UK Albums - 1
US Billboard - 5
US Top Rock Albums - 1

And number 1 (and top 10) in many other countries. Not sure how the free giveaways were tallied, but evidently they counted - perhaps georgelicks can fill us in on that process.

As for tacky not being the Stones style...GRRRRegory the gorilla begs to differ

smiling smiley

PS - We're now at page 200, and that recent pic of Keith and Mick finally together in the studio fulfills my prediction of something "big" happening when we hit page 200!
The next big newsworthy event will happen on page 250...perhaps a pic or a clip of them actually jamming together...or having lunch together...stay tuned and keep the thread alive! thumbs up

yawning smiley !! Dayyyum ... Oh no he didn't ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...195196197198199200201202203204205...LastNext
Current Page: 200 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home