Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...192193194195196197198199200201202...LastNext
Current Page: 197 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album coming up?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 17, 2018 09:09

Hairball
bye bye johnny
IanBillen

As well Soldatti got word from Universal that they have studio time booked for this fall. Also an American tour is being talked about / discussed. Everything seems in line for them to do it.

georgelicks did indeed post that info...three months ago. The Joyce Smyth interview was published August 28.

More recent things - like Mick's film role, for instance - might have altered those recording plans.

In fairness to georgelicks, that full post is below:

"Yes, but the album is not a priority for them, it will get done eventually but no one is losing any sleep over it, the general public could care less about a new Stones album, the band won't tour behind any new stuff either.

Blue and Lonesome was a surprise hit on physical sales, it was released during Christmas time and many people bought it as gift, also a covers album has more potential audience out there than an album of new material, but neither the band or Universal will milk that cow again so soon, the album is still a steady catalog seller, about 3-5k worldwide each week, that's more than any of their studio albums and more than any of their albums except Hot Rocks or Jump Back.

After the tour, they will take 3-4 months off at least, after that some studio time is booked, but touring is always the #1 priority (after family of course), any studio activity will get postponed if they want to tour again.

Universal's $2 million advance for a new album in 2017 has no deadline on it, just like Virgin's 3 albums deal from 1991, so the new album could be done in 2019 or 2020.

One thing is sure, some people here (not many actually) is more anxious about a new album than the Stones themselves, after 56+ years, 25 studio albums and a catalog of over 400 recorded songs, any new stuff from them is a bonus."

[iorr.org]

Good old georgelicks telling it like it is....

It's only been two months since the tour has been over, so I suspect they're still enjoying their vacations and family time which could then be extended through the Christmas holidays.
And now with rumours of US tour heating up, wondering if this will jeopardize their tentative plans to get back together as a band in the studio as "any studio activity will get postponed if they want to tour again" according to georgelicks. Nice to see those recent twitter clips and/or pics of them by themselves in separate studios as it does add some excitement, but in reality we have no idea what that was all about.

EDIT - Just saw the latest rumour/thread that they'll be playing in NY this Fall. > NYC 2018
If true, don't count on a new album any time soon unfortunately...

In fairness .. that could be a load of malarkey. Even so ... a string of shows .. 3 at a residency or a small handfull of special shows won't mean anything. In fact.. A small subset of shows .. could very well do them good... it could Keep them in shape .. a long year lay off is simply no good now. They <have> to stay active for shows at this age. A year off of no live gigs is a little too long at their age. I would not worry about a small string of shows this winter .. that would actually do them well.

I don't think they are going to de-rail the plans for finishing the album. I think the album holds more weight than anything on their agenda for the sake of I truly gotta believe they would want it ready for the tour next late spring and summer ..or next summer. Either way .. by early spring it has to be done if they want it out next year. Unless they are planning on finishing the album in the fall of next year <after> the tour and some rest. I can't conceive that.

I think there is plans to finish the album so it can be released before or at the start of the tour. I don't think they want to come back to the States with simply just another tour. I think they want to come back with a product as well .. to tour <with> .. even if we only get two or three songs a show from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-17 09:12 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 17, 2018 09:30

They were probably hoping to get the album done before the No Filter Tour, but for whatever reasons it didn't quite work out as planned .
We can only hope and speculate at this point just as we have been for quite a long time now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-17 09:30 by Hairball.

Date: September 17, 2018 11:03

Hairball
They were probably hoping to get the album done before the No Filter Tour, but for whatever reasons it didn't quite work out as planned .
We can only hope and speculate at this point just as we have been for quite a long time now...

>> "but for whatever reasons it didn't quite work out as planned ."

Below is not any smart arse commentary but more along the lines of .. You are cutting them a break again (as so many do).

'Hoping'? How does one (or a group of people) hope something gets finished with out setting aside some time to work on it.

That is like me hoping to build a garage .. but I never hire any contractors ..
or actually going out to do any work on it myself? Things don't get finished by 'hoping' and albums don't make themselves (jusss sayin).

I am not buying they hoped .. they just never gave any effort or set aside time to finish it. The only other alternative is the material simply wasn't ready / or good enough so they worked on writing better stuff or worked on bettering the stuff they had or both. If that is the case ... I can surely live with that ..
Anything other than that (well ... besides a Health issue in which Ronnie had that lung scare .. that I 100% surely understand .. IF that is the actual reason besides pure laziness or neglect lol).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 17, 2018 12:10

Ian, you are repeatedly ignoring the info out there that I've pieced together a few times already and most recently yesterday on the previous page.

In the current state of affairs (i.e. "hitting the wall" in the studio in December 2015) there will not be a new Stones studio album. If things change I'm sure they'll let us know, in the meantime they'll gladly take the cash people (including myself) throw at them for live shows.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 17, 2018 13:00

It has taken a while, but I think they do want to get the new album finished now. May be for the next tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 17, 2018 13:36

Amen

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: September 17, 2018 14:16

bv
It has taken a while, but I think they do want to get the new album finished now. May be for the next tour.

Sounds like the best news I have heard for ages if truegrinning smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 17, 2018 14:20

Come on, almost reaching 200 pages. At that very moment, the album will be released

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:09

bv

Let's hope so...can't wait ( but will if I have to )..moody smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:09

KeithNacho
Come on, almost reaching 200 pages. At that very moment, the album will be released

99% dreams/complaints/worries, and 1% facts

Bjornulf

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:17

tiffanyblu
bv

Sounds like the best news I have heard for ages if truegrinning smiley

I see no reason to doubt that bv *thinks* that they want to get a new album done *maybe* for the next tour ?
I'll start holding my breath when he writes that he *knows* that they want to get a new album finished maybe for the next tour ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-17 15:17 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:24

Of course they want to finish the album. If they didn't, they wouldn't putter around in the studio year after year and post photos or videos to social media, mention it in interviews, issue the odd press statement, and have their business manager mention it publicly.

The fact that it takes this long is symptomatic of the fact that the limited financial return of making new music vs. the frustration and hassles it entails doesn't make it a priority. If you were a group of guys in your mid-seventies, would you prioritize an album over a tour? A tour means instant gratification from the audience and an amazing payday. An album means risk of failure, even comparative failure like they experience with solo albums when far less is at stake artistically.

You can consider the 77 year old drummer and 75 year old songwriters to be lazy and negligent, if you prefer. Perhaps elder abuse from a caregiver would be sufficient motivation. Some might wish to apply for the job.

Yes, that last bit comes with an implied WARNING: SARCASM in bold flashing lights lest anyone take me seriously.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 17, 2018 18:03

I am of the belief that the album will come by next spring. Also we have no idea how much has been actually completed. Everything from Steel Wheels thru A Bigger Bang was pretty rushed to makes tour deadline. I’m thinking the stones may actually be caring about quality this time around or more so than the last 30 years. We will eventually see.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 17, 2018 18:10

Bashlets
I am of the belief that the album will come by next spring. Also we have no idea how much has been actually completed. Everything from Steel Wheels thru A Bigger Bang was pretty rushed to makes tour deadline. I’m thinking the stones may actually be caring about quality this time around or more so than the last 30 years. We will eventually see.

They missed deadline after deadline by now!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-17 18:11 by Christiaan.

Date: September 17, 2018 18:25

Here's to more hoping and wishing they can focus on the task at hand, even though that our hopes and wishes haven;t seemed to help anything for the last 197 pages.
The looming tour might add some pressure, but doubt they give a crap about being pressured from anyone - be it Universal, the fans, themselves, etc.
If they didn't get it done for No Filter, and it's been nearly 14 years and counting since the last album of originals, can't see them rushing anything this late in their career.
Looking forward to the possibility of a new album to coincide with the upcoming tour, though not placing any bets on it. Hoping and wishing and waiting and speculating is all we can do...

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 17, 2018 18:37

I have to say I was very discouraged and depressed when the previous leg of the No Filter tour was announced and there was no new tour name or artwork. I'm incredibly hungry for a new Rolling Stones album.

That said, I guess I'm glad that they're not rushing it (to put it mildly.) Hopefully it will result in an album that they're all happy and satisfied with, no puns intended.

Date: September 17, 2018 18:48

Hopefully the new album will be called NO FILTER and we'll view the European legs as the warm-up.

Date: September 18, 2018 04:08

Rocky Dijon
Hopefully the new album will be called NO FILTER and we'll view the European legs as the warm-up.

They are not going to name an album after a tour that will be a year .. year and a half old at that point. The Stones and their camp / their people are marketing experts and very wise. They got the experience but are always one step ahead of the game. Naming an album after a tour that happened a year or so ago would not be wise.

The album is to be completed Mr. Rocky .. It is to be here for next years tour.

Date: September 18, 2018 04:15

Christiaan
Bashlets

They missed deadline after deadline by now!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley

True .. very true. Bridges was very rushed.. A Bigger Bang was starting to cut it close. Steel Wheels was very rushed... Voodoo Lounge had ample time ..

However, over the years they are known to finish the album by being pressed for a tour deadline. As you said.. they are purposefully taking their good ole sweet time and are gonna complete it at the pace they feel is best for the album. Hopefully by not being pressed ..and having all the time they need to get it as they would like will yield top quality goods.

Let's face it .. they sure have been stirring this thing for a long while now.. yeesh. The beginning of this album technically started in December of 2015. Blue & Lonesome was just a happy accident / by-product of this albums sessions.. However it was indeed very special.

Date: September 18, 2018 04:28

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

They are not going to name an album after a tour that will be a year .. year and a half old at that point. The Stones and their camp / their people are marketing experts and very wise. They got the experience but are always one step ahead of the game. Naming an album after a tour that happened a year or so ago would not be wise.

I believe Rocky was joking there Ian!

But now that it's been brought up, I believe that if the album would have had been finished prior to that tour, it might have also been called No Filter.
So now one of the questions is, will the album be finished prior to the upcoming tour? Hmmm...I give it a 50/50 chance, but wouldn't make any bets one way or the other as it's still all a mystery.
Another question is, will it ever be finished at all? Maybe, maybe not, but it's been said they have enough scraps to make it happen some day.

Date: September 18, 2018 04:58

Hairball
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

I believe Rocky was joking there Ian!

But now that it's been brought up, I believe that if the album would have had been finished prior to that tour, it might have also been called No Filter.
So now one of the questions is, will the album be finished prior to the upcoming tour? Hmmm...I give it a 50/50 chance, but wouldn't make any bets one way or the other as it's still all a mystery.
Another question is, will it ever be finished at all? Maybe, maybe not, but it's been said they have enough scraps to make it happen some day.

I see .. he was joshin .. Lol my bad .. I should of considered that (or strongly assumed it).

I don't wan't scraps .. I want strong material in which they trim off the fat .. not simply a collection of fat scrapes with no meat winking smiley

Perhaps shortly they will be getting to the studio to hunker down on it.

Let's face it .. Mick and Keith met a couple of times specially and spent time writing songs 'together'. They have each written songs individually I'm surely guessing. The band has worked and recorded on this album a good three or four times as well.

Sure seems like they are right in the middle of the thing or right in the dead thick of it. Seems like they could have it recorded if they simply focused on it. I'd say the time is to focus on the thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 05:00 by IanBillen.

Date: September 18, 2018 05:37

Yeah I agree Ian, FOCUS is the word, but they have so many darn distractions (vacation, family time, etc.), and the upcoming tour might sideline it for awhile more.
They don't want to rush into releasing another mediocre album, and quality is seemingly what's taking soooooooo long! Hopefully sooner rather than later,
but I'd rather be patient and wait for something long lasting and of high quality, then get immediate/temporary gratification with something average, and I'm sure they're thinking along the same lines.
Tour be damned, they'll finish it whenever it's ready! Could be next month, right before the tour, during the tour, or after the tour - nobody knows for sure, not even them!
Come to think of it, they should just release some singles starting with the best one they have, and then work their way through the rest of the scraps and spiff them up to Rolling Stones standards.

Date: September 18, 2018 06:37

I wasn't kidding. NO FILTER started as a planned title for an album and tour and went ahead without the album. We'll see what they do. The NO FILTER stage continuing for 2019 in North America is a real possibility.

Date: September 18, 2018 06:58

[/b][/b]
Hairball
Yeah I agree Ian, FOCUS is the word, but they have so many darn distractions (vacation, family time, etc., and the upcoming tour might sideline it for awhile more.
They don't want to rush into releasing another mediocre album, and quality is seemingly what's taking soooooooo long! Hopefully sooner rather than later,
but I'd rather be patient and wait for something long lasting and of high quality, then get immediate/temporary gratification with something average, and I'm sure they're thinking along the same lines.
Tour be damned, they'll finish it whenever it's ready! Could be next month, right before the tour, during the tour, or after the tour - nobody knows for sure, not even them!
Come to think of it, they should just release some singles starting with the best one they have, and then work their way through the rest of the scraps and spiff them up to Rolling Stones standards.

Exhibit A. = What you mentioned above are not distractions .. Those are necessities and they have <plenty of vacation time and plenty of family time dammit!!! Let's settle that once and for all can we? smiling smiley>. Now, Distractions are museum exhibits ...solo material ... film roles .. visits to Memphis .. .... etc. etc. (the list goes on and on and on).

Exhibit B. They don't want to rush it .. Hell if they are rushing it I'd hate to see em taking their time .. that could be a decade Lol.

Exhibit C. = We have been patient .. real patient...and we have waited.. and waited.. and waited. It's been 13 years lol ..and it's going on three years since they began this thing .. how long of a wait game do ya wanna play here? ha? To boot .. nobody knows anything about it or where they are with it or when it could possibly come .. yeeeesh.

It's always great to get your (and Hairballs) feedback though. I must admit that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 07:03 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2018 07:02

Maybe we should move onto the album after the next one …….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 18, 2018 07:06

Rocky Dijon
I wasn't kidding. NO FILTER started as a planned title for an album and tour and went ahead without the album. We'll see what they do. The NO FILTER stage continuing for 2019 in North America is a real possibility.

That sounded like a rumor. Nobody had any real / official inside word of knowledge on that concept when it was all said and done to my knowledge.

I am not saying you are mistaken .. I read that here a good handful of times but I kinda think that rumor started here and stayed here until it died out. Jusssss sayin my good man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 07:07 by IanBillen.

Date: September 18, 2018 07:10

Oh, I don't mind. Though you might want to ask Bjornulf about it some time.

Date: September 18, 2018 07:58

Rocky Dijon

Thought it might have been tongue-in-cheek as I've never heard of such a backwards method, but the way you explain it makes sense.
Interesting as I just speculated above that the "new" album might have been called No Filter to coincide with the tour - some of that previous talk must have been absorbed into my thick skull. winking smiley

Just pondering this now, but what if they call the new tour by something else - Hit The Wall! for example - with the goal of having a new album by the same name, and there's still no new album?!!!!
They'll be two tours ahead, and two albums behind!!! Good lord this is turning in to a quagmire...

Date: September 18, 2018 08:43

What happened to "No Stopping"?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 18, 2018 12:57

bv

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...192193194195196197198199200201202...LastNext
Current Page: 197 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home