Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...177178179180181182183184185186187...LastNext
Current Page: 182 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Date: July 8, 2018 21:35

Then at least three tracks on that album should be Czech folk songs :-)

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 8, 2018 23:23

I somehow hope they don't put out that new record too soon. I would love to see the No Filter in the US, then a kicking 2CD No Filter live release and then maybe 2019 or early 2020 the new album with yet another (final???) tour 2020, 2021. Thats doable.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:30

IanBillen

Although I'm certainly kidding about Mick working on the material while on tour ..

However he always writes .. possibly may conjure up a song idea or two to try out when they get in the studio again.

Going by his social media activity the only album Mick has been working on during this tour will be a photo album of his favourite European travel locations

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 9, 2018 04:14

Gazza
IanBillen

Although I'm certainly kidding about Mick working on the material while on tour ..

However he always writes .. possibly may conjure up a song idea or two to try out when they get in the studio again.

Going by his social media activity the only album Mick has been working on during this tour will be a photo album of his favourite European travel locations

Bahaha .. Ikr .. he's hit all the landmarks & locations your way ..

It's like Mick .. isn't like you didn't have access to these places throughout the last 50 years lol.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 10, 2018 06:45

Hairball
Maybe a solo album filled with International traditional folk tune covers is in the future? winking smiley

It's already part of the past. I have an album by the Cheiftains with Mick and Keith on it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2018 07:42

doitywoik
Hairball
Maybe a solo album filled with International traditional folk tune covers is in the future? winking smiley

It's already part of the past. I have an album by the Cheiftains with Mick and Keith on it.

Yes that's good. I like Micks singing on The Long Black Veil.

Imagine him playing and singing something like this though- a traditional tune from Mexico:

Tlen Huicani - La Bruja (The Witch)

smiling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 12, 2018 17:43

Much has been said over the last couple years that the choice is largely down to a tour or an album and the tour obviously pays much better. What a shame, they can't approach the album the same way. Spend two weeks in the studio rehearsing the new material. Then spend two days each week in the studio until they had an album. If they worked hard on rehearsing already written and arranged material with high-polished demos to refer to, the actual recording shouldn't be too onerous. Admittedly, coordinating the four of them to stay in one place for a protracted period of time without giving them a couple million each week for it is probably the biggest problem.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 12, 2018 18:55

I think they’ve got a superabundance of material they could choose to finish. I think there is a fundamental — and this time a civil — disagreement between the Glimmers about what they want a Rolling Stones record to sound like in 2018.

They’ve spent the last decade clerking through this archives, reissuing classics, and burnishing their legacy. There is more sensitivity now than ever before to the possibility of doing violence to that legacy with a new album that doesn’t measure up to the past.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 13, 2018 01:41

Hairball
Imagine him playing and singing something like this though- a traditional tune from Mexico:

smiling smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Great song, though!

As a target song for the South American market they might add La Cucaracha ... winking smiley … and Keith doing a truly sentimental version of Besame Mucho …

MelBelli
There is more sensitivity now than ever before to the possibility of doing violence to that legacy with a new album that doesn’t measure up to the past.

If the new material is really THAT bad, of course, they better not release it. But realistically speaking, whatever material will end up on the new album, there will most probably be a few great songs, a couple of OK ones and some fillers – and everybody here will disagree with everybody else about which song is which.

It’s clear that they will never again have an album with the same relevance as Sticky Fingers or Exile, no matter how good the new songs are. Also, whatever a new album would be like, it wouldn’t have any real repercussions on their live shows. It wouldn’t hurt the legacy either even if it were a bad album. Albums like Sticky, Exile, BB are lasting achievements irrespective and independently of anything that came (or would have come) afterwards. I mean, they got away with Undercover, and it couldn’t really get worse than that. I might well imagine that both Mick and Keith would see a new album not simply as a new album but also as a kind of statement, and that that’s among the reasons why the making of it is dragging along the way it’s dragging along. On the positive side, this would indicate that the album-in-progress means something to them, on the pragmatic side, it may matter to them in one way or other and to a few fans, but who else? Thus, an a bit more relaxed attitude on all sides possibly wouldn’t hurt. It would be interesting to know how Ronnie really thinks about these things, but we’ll never get to know. Charlie, not sure if he thinks about it much at all.

Anyway, I don’t think it makes much of a difference in the end to the world. If it’s a “classic Stones” album, the world will go, ‘Nothing new from the Stones’, if it’s Mick-style experimental, the world will go, ‘The Stones trying to be modern (and failing at it)’. The best thing to happen press-wise is something like ‘aging with dignity’, which – in my oppinion – would require a non-modern album that isn’t just classic Stones either.

And in the meanwhile, I’ll listen one more time to La Bruja … winking smiley

Date: July 13, 2018 04:00

Great post doitywoik. thumbs up

La Bruja! smileys with beer

Date: July 13, 2018 07:40

doitywoik
Hairball

smiling smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Great song, though!

As a target song for the South American market they might add La Cucaracha ... winking smiley … and Keith doing a truly sentimental version of Besame Mucho …

MelBelli
There is more sensitivity now than ever before to the possibility of doing violence to that legacy with a new album that doesn’t measure up to the past.

If the new material is really THAT bad, of course, they better not release it. But realistically speaking, whatever material will end up on the new album, there will most probably be a few great songs, a couple of OK ones and some fillers – and everybody here will disagree with everybody else about which song is which.

It’s clear that they will never again have an album with the same relevance as Sticky Fingers or Exile, no matter how good the new songs are. Also, whatever a new album would be like, it wouldn’t have any real repercussions on their live shows. It wouldn’t hurt the legacy either even if it were a bad album. Albums like Sticky, Exile, BB are lasting achievements irrespective and independently of anything that came (or would have come) afterwards. I mean, they got away with Undercover, and it couldn’t really get worse than that. I might well imagine that both Mick and Keith would see a new album not simply as a new album but also as a kind of statement, and that that’s among the reasons why the making of it is dragging along the way it’s dragging along. On the positive side, this would indicate that the album-in-progress means something to them, on the pragmatic side, it may matter to them in one way or other and to a few fans, but who else? Thus, an a bit more relaxed attitude on all sides possibly wouldn’t hurt. It would be interesting to know how Ronnie really thinks about these things, but we’ll never get to know. Charlie, not sure if he thinks about it much at all.

Anyway, I don’t think it makes much of a difference in the end to the world. If it’s a “classic Stones” album, the world will go, ‘Nothing new from the Stones’, if it’s Mick-style experimental, the world will go, ‘The Stones trying to be modern (and failing at it)’. The best thing to happen press-wise is something like ‘aging with dignity’, which – in my oppinion – would require a non-modern album that isn’t just classic Stones either.

And in the meanwhile, I’ll listen one more time to La Bruja … winking smiley

There is actually 'room' for another great Stones albumbeing as there's not much out there that is regarded 'album wise'.

Newer acts seem to have a big cut taken by individual song downloads ...

and other acts such as U2 etc. haven't put out anything worthy. There is an opening for The Stones to deliver something that catches fire and stands out.

Certainly not saying it will sell 10 million copies / downloads a week or that they will start having top ten hits again (what rock act does anymore?). However there is an opening to put out something in which gets notoriety and is well regarded and captures some quality attention. Something that gets some nice recognition and 'cred' in the industry (while selling well).

The opening is there for them to do that these days.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 13, 2018 14:39

AUTHENTICITY.....that's the key....that's what sold B & L...fans and everyone loved the record bc it sounded like them at their best....put that authenticity behind some new tunes and the results should be the same....

Date: July 13, 2018 19:31

If not more blues covers ala Blue and Lonesome, and if they're stuck in a rut creatively trying to replicate certain success' of the past (and/or live up to the past), seems an album of original blues tunes could be the answer.
Songs like I Got the Blues, Good Times Bad Times, Stoned, Down in the Hole, Black Limousine, Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues, etc....all great original blues tunes, and seems they could cook up a quick batch of these and have them released before the upcoming US tour. Could be titled Blue and Lonesome II (Out of Our Heads) , and surely would please most fans along with being a success around the world. And it certainly wouldn't taint their legacy - it would add to the greatness of it imo.

Date: July 14, 2018 09:14

Hairball
If not more blues covers ala Blue and Lonesome, and if they're stuck in a rut creatively trying to replicate certain success' of the past (and/or live up to the past), seems an album of original blues tunes could be the answer.
Songs like I Got the Blues, Good Times Bad Times, Stoned, Down in the Hole, Black Limousine, Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues, etc....all great original blues tunes, and seems they could cook up a quick batch of these and have them released before the upcoming US tour. Could be titled Blue and Lonesome II (Out of Our Heads) , and surely would please most fans along with being a success around the world. And it certainly wouldn't taint their legacy - it would add to the greatness of it imo.

Mr. Hairball! Howdy. I appreciate your affection for Blue & Lonesome .. I for one truly touted it among my peers in person and online. I feel it is much better than Stripped. It is something very 'special' ... Something that will stand the test of time. However I believe it was a one time thing.. or the end of it at least for a good while.

There is basically no chance at all for a Blue & Lonesome part two before a new studio release or next up. There three major reasons for that and I will list them below:

1. Lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place .. rarely but definately not one bolt right after another. As I mentioned before promoting the same product, or a very similar product would be a mistake .. Ya don't want to over do a good thing. The public got just enough and there would be much less interest this time out. Been there .. done that (and it was grand)

2. Studio wise ... The Rolling Stones have their sites (well what ambition they have.. which is not a lot ... but it's all of that) on a new studio album of originals .. There is no interest from them on a Blue & Lonesome part two (<right now ..perhaps down the road .. but not now). They are in the middle / half way in on a brand new studio album at this point .. They won't detour and make a B&L part two and release it only to have their studio album come out a little later.

3. Universal would rather have a new studio album and they would / will push for that as opposed to anything else studio wise from them.

Just my thoughts.. Always 100% fantastico to see you active here ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 09:19 by IanBillen.

Date: July 14, 2018 11:00

IanBillen
Hairball

Mr. Hairball! Howdy. I appreciate your affection for Blue & Lonesome .. I for one truly touted it among my peers in person and online. I feel it is much better than Stripped. It is something very 'special' ... Something that will stand the test of time. However I believe it was a one time thing.. or the end of it at least for a good while.

There is basically no chance at all for a Blue & Lonesome part two before a new studio release or next up. There three major reasons for that and I will list them below:

1. Lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place .. rarely but definately not one bolt right after another. As I mentioned before promoting the same product, or a very similar product would be a mistake .. Ya don't want to over do a good thing. The public got just enough and there would be much less interest this time out. Been there .. done that (and it was grand)

2. Studio wise ... The Rolling Stones have their sites (well what ambition they have.. which is not a lot ... but it's all of that) on a new studio album of originals .. There is no interest from them on a Blue & Lonesome part two (<right now ..perhaps down the road .. but not now). They are in the middle / half way in on a brand new studio album at this point .. They won't detour and make a B&L part two and release it only to have their studio album come out a little later.

3. Universal would rather have a new studio album and they would / will push for that as opposed to anything else studio wise from them.

Hi Ian! Truth be told, unlike you I was never really that fond of Blue and Lonesome - I gave it a 2 out of 5 stars review (or maybe it was 2.5 out of 5) and still stand by that as it's basically filled with simple/average covers that didn't improve on the original or previous versions of the tunes imo. I do like a couple of their covers for sure, but mostly enjoyed the live versions of the cover tunes that they performed at Desert Trip *Vegas '16, and both legs of the recent No Filter Tour - wish they would have played more from it. That said, I find it a better album as a whole than all of their albums after Tattoo You mostly due to the quality of the minimal production and the fact they all worked on it together as a team. They sound great together as a real band, it's just that a majority of the material really goes nowhere from where it's already been. But in the above post you quoted, I wasn't necessarily hoping for a Blue and Lonesome II filled with covers again. I took it a step further and suggested a Blue and Loneome pt. II filled with ORIGINAL BLUES TUNES from the Stones such as the ones I listed above that they successfully wrote and recorded in the past. Perhaps you didn't read that part, or maybe you skimmed through it, or maybe you completely misunderstood it? Please read my post again, and get back to me later when you fully comprehend and whenever you're ready. winking smiley

PS - The fact that Keith said that a Blue and Lonesome pt.II is a possible option and something he would like to do, well then there's a very good chance it could happen. Maybe not a huge chance, but definitely more than the "no chance" you stated. And after the dismal response to Getta Grip/England Lost (which if you recall Keith refused to play on or have them anywhere near a Stones album) seems he might have the upper hand now when making decisions on what direction the next album will go - and there's always the possibility it will go down the Blue and Lonesome pt II route.

PSS - Not even sure what the status of the new album is anymore anyways, and doubt they're going to immediately start working on it anytime soon - though I wish they would. Now that the tour is over, they need time to unwind as well as some quality family time at home. And something that bv posted the other day that's truly discouraging regarding the new album:

"Nobody not even in the band will say anything about the new album. It will be a bonus if it happens some day, but tours every year are more likely".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 11:04 by Hairball.

Date: July 14, 2018 16:21

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Hi Ian! Truth be told, unlike you I was never really that fond of Blue and Lonesome - I gave it a 2 out of 5 stars review (or maybe it was 2.5 out of 5) and still stand by that as it's basically filled with simple/average covers that didn't improve on the original or previous versions of the tunes imo. I do like a couple of their covers for sure, but mostly enjoyed the live versions of the cover tunes that they performed at Desert Trip *Vegas '16, and both legs of the recent No Filter Tour - wish they would have played more from it. That said, I find it a better album as a whole than all of their albums after Tattoo You mostly due to the quality of the minimal production and the fact they all worked on it together as a team. They sound great together as a real band, it's just that a majority of the material really goes nowhere from where it's already been. But in the above post you quoted, I wasn't necessarily hoping for a Blue and Lonesome II filled with covers again. I took it a step further and suggested a Blue and Loneome pt. II filled with ORIGINAL BLUES TUNES from the Stones such as the ones I listed above that they successfully wrote and recorded in the past. Perhaps you didn't read that part, or maybe you skimmed through it, or maybe you completely misunderstood it? Please read my post again, and get back to me later when you fully comprehend and whenever you're ready. winking smiley

PS - The fact that Keith said that a Blue and Lonesome pt.II is a possible option and something he would like to do, well then there's a very good chance it could happen. Maybe not a huge chance, but definitely more than the "no chance" you stated. And after the dismal response to Getta Grip/England Lost (which if you recall Keith refused to play on or have them anywhere near a Stones album) seems he might have the upper hand now when making decisions on what direction the next album will go - and there's always the possibility it will go down the Blue and Lonesome pt II route.

PSS - Not even sure what the status of the new album is anymore anyways, and doubt they're going to immediately start working on it anytime soon - though I wish they would. Now that the tour is over, they need time to unwind as well as some quality family time at home. And something that bv posted the other day that's truly discouraging regarding the new album:

"Nobody not even in the band will say anything about the new album. It will be a bonus if it happens some day, but tours every year are more likely".

Yezz .. Keith said he was interested in part two .. at some point. However I think the interest studio wise (what's there anymore .. grinning smiley ) is to work on / finish the new album.

What did bv post that was discouraging concerning the new album? Jus curious?

Rock on.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 14, 2018 16:59

See last sentence of the post above, in bold.

[iorr.org]

Date: July 15, 2018 01:55

bye bye johnny
See last sentence of the post above, in bold.

[iorr.org]

Roger that. I thought Hairball was stating some of that.. Now I get it.

This album is still very much under wraps (meaning .. information about it is undisclosed). Nobody knows hardly anything about it. They have spent significant time getting started on it .. Had various sessions according to Charlie & Woody.

Date: July 15, 2018 01:59

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

My dude ... 2 out of five stars for Blue & Lonesome .....? What exactly do you want out of a friggin blues record from them ..? Guy come on .. That's most likely the lowest rating in all the members here? What do they or did they have to give you within the last 35 years that will impress you? Lol

I mean .. Jus saying. What 'do' you really dig from them and as well what do you think is of higher quality since Some Girls or Tattoo You? Anything at all?

Blue & Lonesome 2 out of 5 stars ....? Mmmmmmmmmm Are we being overly critical here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 02:01 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2018 02:16

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2018 04:38

Ian Billen
My dude ... 2 out of five stars for Blue & Lonesome .....? What exactly do you want out of a friggin blues record from them ..? Guy come on .. That's most likely the lowest rating in all the members here? What do they or did they have to give you within the last 35 years that will impress you? Lol

I thought it was a fair rating in comparison to some of the reviews I read from some members here...some called it "Boring and Lonesome", or "Blue and Loathsome", while others listened once and vowed never again. As for me, I enjoyed some of it (especially when played live), and totally loved the production of it all, but I really preferred the original versions or the versions that came before it by other artists. I think Mick said it best when he said "I mean what’s the point in listening to us doing “I’m A King Bee” when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it?", and that about sums up Blue and Lonesome for me. I realize many people loved it like yourself, and more power to them, but to each his own. Perhaps you're not too familiar with the original or previous versions, and if not do yourself a favor and seek them out - there's many compilations available.

As for albums from the last 35 years (Tattoo You was their last 100% great album imo), there's defnitely sprinklings of some good tunes here and there, but I could probably make a single standout album if I compiled them together. When you consider that the Stones don't even play ANY of these songs from the last 35 years (except Keith's Slipping Away occasionally), then you have to conclude that they don't even consider any of them up to snuff with their past greats. I would have loved to hear them play Saint of Me again. Rain Fall Down again. Maybe Love is Strong again. Or maybe even their cover of Harlem Shuffle? But no - they play none of it.

So the hope is (and it's a big hope), with the production values and recording style of Blue and Lonesome (working together as a team), meshed with some great songwriting (as heard on Keith's Crosseyed Heart), there's a chance they can come up with another classic that ranks with (or near) all those albums from Tattoo You and before. And if they can't get their heads together (and out of their ass) while continuing to procrastinate and butt heads over the direction the album should take, maybe they should step back and think it over again. And that's where the album of ORIGINAL blues tunes can come in to play. They've shown in the past they can write and record GREAT original blues tunes, so that might be the best direction!

Ian Billen
This album is still very much under wraps (meaning .. information about it is undisclosed). Nobody knows hardly anything about it. They have spent significant time getting started on it .. Had various sessions according to Charlie & Woody.

Hmmm... with the quote from bv (along with quotes from other sources), something tells me the recordings they've worked on so far could end up being completely shelved due to lack of cooperation amongst Keith and Mick. As with those Licks demos that were recently leaked out, maybe some day in the distant future we might get lucky to hear what they were working on between 2016 and 2018 - lets call it the Hit the Wall demos. On the other hand, no one really knows whats going on with it any more...not even Charlie.

So on with the upcoming tour of the US and beyond - that's what keeps them relevant and that's what I find exciting about them since first seeing them in 1981. Nothing like seeing them live, and even without a new album or the fact they play almost nothing original from the last 35+ years, they're still the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world. New album? Hmmm.....not looking good, but never give up the hope.

Date: July 15, 2018 07:10

Hairball
Ian Billen

I thought it was a fair rating in comparison to some of the reviews I read from some members here...some called it "Boring and Lonesome", or "Blue and Loathsome", while others listened once and vowed never again. As for me, I enjoyed some of it (especially when played live), and totally loved the production of it all, but I really preferred the original versions or the versions that came before it by other artists. I think Mick said it best when he said "I mean what’s the point in listening to us doing “I’m A King Bee” when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it?", and that about sums up Blue and Lonesome for me. I realize many people loved it like yourself, and more power to them, but to each his own. Perhaps you're not too familiar with the original or previous versions, and if not do yourself a favor and seek them out - there's many compilations available.

As for albums from the last 35 years (Tattoo You was their last 100% great album imo), there's defnitely sprinklings of some good tunes here and there, but I could probably make a single standout album if I compiled them together. When you consider that the Stones don't even play ANY of these songs from the last 35 years (except Keith's Slipping Away occasionally), then you have to conclude that they don't even consider any of them up to snuff with their past greats. I would have loved to hear them play Saint of Me again. Rain Fall Down again. Maybe Love is Strong again. Or maybe even their cover of Harlem Shuffle? But no - they play none of it.

So the hope is (and it's a big hope), with the production values and recording style of Blue and Lonesome (working together as a team), meshed with some great songwriting (as heard on Keith's Crosseyed Heart), there's a chance they can come up with another classic that ranks with (or near) all those albums from Tattoo You and before. And if they can't get their heads together (and out of their ass) while continuing to procrastinate and butt heads over the direction the album should take, maybe they should step back and think it over again. And that's where the album of ORIGINAL blues tunes can come in to play. They've shown in the past they can write and record GREAT original blues tunes, so that might be the best direction!

Ian Billen

Hmmm... with the quote from bv (along with quotes from other sources), something tells me the recordings they've worked on so far could end up being completely shelved due to lack of cooperation amongst Keith and Mick. As with those Licks demos that were recently leaked out, maybe some day in the distant future we might get lucky to hear what they were working on between 2016 and 2018 - lets call it the Hit the Wall demos. On the other hand, no one really knows whats going on with it any more...not even Charlie.

So on with the upcoming tour of the US and beyond - that's what keeps them relevant and that's what I find exciting about them since first seeing them in 1981. Nothing like seeing them live, and even without a new album or the fact they play almost nothing original from the last 35+ years, they're still the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world. New album? Hmmm.....not looking good, but never give up the hope.

Although I see some of what you wrote differently I must remark ...'excellent post' (as always).

I <definitely> heard every one of the Blues songs on Blue & Lonesome by the original artists. I sought them out when the track listing was made available and listened to em ... all of em... at least a handful of times each. They are grand... However I love what The Stones did with those and I love the production of Blue & Lonesome (as you do): Gritty, Dark, Raw, Crude. The Stones needed to do something like that IMO .. and they delivered.

IMO they will not come back to The States without a new album in place. They are to come back into the studio in October / November ..according to sources.

By Spring The Album should be basically done ... IF they actually get to work on it again.

As Chuck Leavell said.. there is no doubt one is coming .. As Keith said. One is definitely in the works but Blimey .. How much in the works does one call in the works?

The album will span four years ... That's longer than any other album they have done ..possibly twice as long?

Date: July 15, 2018 08:26

Cheers Ian. thumbs up

Yes four years is a hell of a long time! And the fact there has not been a album of originals in over 13 years (THIRTEEN YEARS!!!) makes it seem even longer. BUT...if you consider that Tattoo You was made up of mostly leftovers that spanned years and were given a new sheen, you could say that album took about eight or nine years to make. Not a fair comparison I suppose as they continued to release quite a few great records throughout those years of compiling leftovers which would eventually see the light of day on Tattoo You. But maybe they can use that same method for the new album - use the few bits of new stuff that's been deemed worthy, toss in some of the demos from 40 Licks and give them a freshening up, and dig up whatever else might be lying around that can be used. But at this point, to think they can finish an album of completely new material (well now some it's already old... 4 years old) and make it a quality album seems almost an impossibility considering all the ups and downs they've been through. As MelBelli mentioned in his post:

"there is more sensitivity now than ever before to the possibility of doing violence to that legacy with a new album that doesn’t measure up to the past".

In other words, and they way I understand this, is they're not going to release a piece of crap just for the sake of releasing a new Stones album. But you never know...and nobody really knows - not even Mick, Keith, and especially Charlie, Ronnie, and Chuck. What we do know is a tour is pretty much confirmed and all that's missing is the bands signatures to make it become a reality. The bottom line - if the Stones can't make a new record as is seemingly the case, at least they can keep on rolling down the road just at they've been doing 56 years and counting. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 08:31 by Hairball.

Date: July 15, 2018 08:52

Hairball
Cheers Ian. thumbs up

Yes four years is a hell of a long time! And the fact there has not been a album of originals in over 13 years (THIRTEEN YEARS!!!) makes it seem even longer. BUT...if you consider that Tattoo You was made up of mostly leftovers that spanned years and were given a new sheen, you could say that album took about eight or nine years to make. Not a fair comparison I suppose as they continued to release quite a few great records throughout those years of compiling leftovers which would eventually see the light of day on Tattoo You. But maybe they can use that same method for the new album - use the few bits of new stuff that's been deemed worthy, toss in some of the demos from 40 Licks and give them a freshening up, and dig up whatever else might be lying around that can be used. But at this point, to think they can finish an album of completely new material (well now some it's already old... 4 years old) and make it a quality album seems almost an impossibility considering all the ups and downs they've been through. As MelBelli mentioned in his post:

"there is more sensitivity now than ever before to the possibility of doing violence to that legacy with a new album that doesn’t measure up to the past".

In other words, and they way I understand this, is they're not going to release a piece of crap just for the sake of releasing a new Stones album. But you never know...and nobody really knows - not even Mick, Keith, and especially Charlie, Ronnie, and Chuck. What we do know is a tour is pretty much confirmed and all that's missing is the bands signatures to make it become a reality. The bottom line - if the Stones can't make a new record as is seemingly the case, at least they can keep on rolling down the road just at they've been doing 56 years and counting. thumbs up

You are right with you are saying they simply don't want another Stones record as they have had in the past 4-5 releases. They want this one to truly be as good as possible and they know this one counts. They will not 'settle' ... Not on this one. This album .. when it comes ..if it comes.. means a hell of a lot and they are treating it with such.. though very very slowly and it gaps Lol.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 15, 2018 12:20

THE ROLLING STONES PERSONALLY CURATE THEIR FAVORITE ALL-TIME BLUESMEN FOR NEW COMPILATION ALBUM

DONATION TO WILLIE DIXON’S BLUES HEAVEN FOUNDATION

COVER ARTWORK BY RONNIE WOOD

“If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.” – Keith Richards

As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation of the music that inspired them throughout their career?

Confessin’ The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting has been chosen by The Rolling Stones and will be released on BMG on 26 October.

The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin’ The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: “The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought”. As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG/Universal have decided that 10% of BMG’s net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organisation in the United States).

Confessin’ The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith’s guitar licks or Mick’s vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: “That’s how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other’s record collection and it was, “Hey, you’ve got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let’s form a band”.

This 10’’ version includes liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin and contains removeable art card prints by noted blues illustrator Christoph Mueller. The album cover artwork comes courtesy of Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood who has added his own personal twist to the project by painting his interpretation of a Bluesman.

Confessin’ The Blues is a real musical education from those who know the genre best, the greatest living band on the planet, The Rolling Stones.[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 15, 2018 12:41

Thanks for the info..Lien.
Gonna get that one.
Jeroen

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 15, 2018 14:49

Hairball
doitywoik
IanBillen
doitywoik
Didn't the people at Universal (or whoever) indicate that some of the material needed some more work?

Yes .. and Chuck Leavell said recently that it def needed more work but one is also def in the the works.

I was actually referring to Mick's new demo, see the link posted by Hairball winking smiley smileys with beer

Hairball
Nice to see Mick's busy working out ideas for the new Stones album here, though I have a feeling Keith might veto it and Mick will have to release it as solo release. winking smiley

Mick Jagger

This has quickly become one of my favorite Mick solo tunes. smileys with beer

What about a Croatian folk version of "England Lost"?
(Not that I know anything of Croatian folk music.)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 15, 2018 14:57

Lien
THE ROLLING STONES PERSONALLY CURATE THEIR FAVORITE ALL-TIME BLUESMEN FOR NEW COMPILATION ALBUM

DONATION TO WILLIE DIXON’S BLUES HEAVEN FOUNDATION

COVER ARTWORK BY RONNIE WOOD

“If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.” – Keith Richards

As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation of the music that inspired them throughout their career?

Confessin’ The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting has been chosen by The Rolling Stones and will be released on BMG on 26 October.

The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin’ The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: “The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought”. As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG/Universal have decided that 10% of BMG’s net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organisation in the United States).

Confessin’ The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith’s guitar licks or Mick’s vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: “That’s how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other’s record collection and it was, “Hey, you’ve got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let’s form a band”.

This 10’’ version includes liner notes by music journalist Colin Larkin and contains removeable art card prints by noted blues illustrator Christoph Mueller. The album cover artwork comes courtesy of Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood who has added his own personal twist to the project by painting his interpretation of a Bluesman.

Confessin’ The Blues is a real musical education from those who know the genre best, the greatest living band on the planet, The Rolling Stones.[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

Goodie.

side A to J, so ten(!!) sides; for (roughly) only 40 songs... must be a vinyl box, then?
(didn't see that stated anywhere in that release statement - but I could have overlooked it.)

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 15, 2018 17:30

@roughjusticeonya

Confessin’ The Blues Book Pack
(BMGCAT155EPXX) Vinyl Box Set
Release Date 26 October 2018

Date: July 15, 2018 19:32

Thanks for the heads up Lien.

Very nice compilation (and a unique 10" vinyl format), albeit a bit redundant as everything is readily available in various formats elsewhere. Nice the band is continuing to promote the blues though, and especially nice some of the proceeds will go to the Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (10% of proceeds), but wondering what percentage the Stones are making from this? As for the cover artwork...hmmm. Considering this package contains removeable art card prints by noted blues illustrator Christoph Mueller, seems a missed opportunity to not have him do the cover as well. And a bit pricey at $80, but I'd buy it if there's ever a 50% discount sale.
Seems this could be hinting at a possible Blue and Lonesome II from the Stones...or maybe not.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...177178179180181182183184185186187...LastNext
Current Page: 182 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home