Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...169170171172173174175176177178179...LastNext
Current Page: 174 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 29, 2018 03:34

1.) Don't know
2.) Yes
3.) The plan was for what became BLUE AND LONESOME to be packaged with the new album or be available as a digital download with the purchase of the new album. The plan changed to have BLUE AND LONESOME pave the way as a return to their roots followed by the new album. The plan wasn't supposed to take this long to come to fruition.

I honestly think they've been going back to the well with Mick and Keith writing more material with an aim at replacing material that was deemed weaker by Universal. The interesting wrinkle was Mick's solo single last year featuring Ronnie and Charlie but not Keith or Don Was. Mick downplayed the importance of these tracks but Universal through decent money at them with two music videos and a slew of remixes. I suspect this was part of why Mick and Keith returned to songwriting. The other material will likely surface as part of a solo release at some later date.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 29, 2018 04:13

Rocky Dijon
1.) Don't know
2.) Yes
3.) The plan was for what became BLUE AND LONESOME to be packaged with the new album or be available as a digital download with the purchase of the new album. The plan changed to have BLUE AND LONESOME pave the way as a return to their roots followed by the new album. The plan wasn't supposed to take this long to come to fruition.

I honestly think they've been going back to the well with Mick and Keith writing more material with an aim at replacing material that was deemed weaker by Universal. The interesting wrinkle was Mick's solo single last year featuring Ronnie and Charlie but not Keith or Don Was. Mick downplayed the importance of these tracks but Universal through decent money at them with two music videos and a slew of remixes. I suspect this was part of why Mick and Keith returned to songwriting. The other material will likely surface as part of a solo release at some later date.

Yes .. Blue & Lonesome changed things. I hear there was talk of even including the blues segment as a double album ... One record with new material and one with that.

The did the best thing .. IMO ya can't have B&L mixed in with another album. It was special and a lil package all in itself.

I'm worried about Jaggers singing .. Will he be able to be the old Jagger in the studio (seems he hit a rough patch during the second London show). Sure its nothing that hasn't occurred before .. but just sayin .. Ima worried about Keiths guitar chops .. Charlies drumming? I am hoping they have another studio effort to sound as good or and energized or exciting as their stuff in the past is all. I'm worried about it sounding slightly weak in some way or like they have aged in a bad way .. dats all?

One thing is for certain .. they HAVE to make a really strong album here .. Too much time has past .. Too much anticipation & talk from fans over the length of this wait and supposed new studio album that has been in the works for a long time now. Isn't like they have put out a few albums since ABB so a sleeper is permissible. It's all on the line here ..

It cant be sub par or run in the mill ... Too much talk and it is on the line (I think they know this ..if not ..they SHOULD! Lol). Ya can't have such a long time with no new album and then come back with something only 'decent' ... Especially if you are a major act in the Stones scale .... Other wise it Will be just a whimper ending and a let-down ending on a long standing career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-29 04:16 by IanBillen.

Date: May 29, 2018 05:26

Well, it's certainly a lot easier to get things right in the studio - vocals and playing - before releasing the product as you know better than most. A concert performance is more risky. What I find myself weighing is how they compare to what my head tells me it should sound like vs. how they are for men their age. If you look at their age, they're phenomenal. If you want to see them as strong as they were at their peak, obviously they all show signs of decline. There are always individual songs that are great.

Yeah, I wondered if Mick has a bout of laryngitis in the offing and if there will be cancelled/rescheduled shows as a result. Keith and Ronnie being patchy (especially Keith) is certainly nothing new. Dean Goodman and Keithsman have pointed out Charlie's decline. He'll be 77 in a few days. I think he's playing reasonably well for that and am glad they're still out there doing it.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 29, 2018 07:17

Rocky Dijon
Well, it's certainly a lot easier to get things right in the studio - vocals and playing - before releasing the product as you know better than most. A concert performance is more risky. What I find myself weighing is how they compare to what my head tells me it should sound like vs. how they are for men their age. If you look at their age, they're phenomenal. If you want to see them as strong as they were at their peak, obviously they all show signs of decline. There are always individual songs that are great.

Yeah, I wondered if Mick has a bout of laryngitis in the offing and if there will be cancelled/rescheduled shows as a result. Keith and Ronnie being patchy (especially Keith) is certainly nothing new. Dean Goodman and Keithsman have pointed out Charlie's decline. He'll be 77 in a few days. I think he's playing reasonably well for that and am glad they're still out there doing it.

True .. I'm not talking about them getting it right .. I'm simply talking them 'being' right. Let's hope not ..but Micks voice could change for good or become permanently weaker at any given time (sure... you can hide that in the studio and do all kinds of things to fix it .. BUT at times .. there's not much you can do for the risk of it sounding fixed / altered.)

Charlie could lose his thwack .. his punch... as compared to the past. That extra 10-12% can be fixed many times BUT again .. some times only to a point .. I've experienced cases where it can be fixed in nobody being able to notice anything to it just not being fixable because it just was too lacking or off. You understand how it goes. At times if its not plenty good going in there isnt a lot you can do to help it out or fix things .. no matter who the engineer or the equipment they have access to. Sometimes there are all kinds of ways around it .. that all just depends.

I'm worried they risk not being able to not make / record one last studio record at 100% because they waited that last two, three or four years when they shouldn't of.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-29 07:22 by IanBillen.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 29, 2018 08:19

IanBillen
Too much anticipation & talk from fans over the length of this wait and supposed new studio album that has been in the works for a long time now.

Yes, they must be worried about the couple of hundred fans here that talk about it. It MUST keep them awake at nights in cold sweats...

REALLY? We're not being a bit grandiose here????

I WANT a new album. But to lay "our anticipation" at their feet as a concern? REALLY?

Rod

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 29, 2018 08:43

The recording part of the Stones career is over and I think it’s probably best to just accept it.
After 37 years without a great album you’d think people would get the hint that the well ran dry.i mean it’s 37 freakin years!
In the interim we’ve had one that was two solo albums sold as a Stones record,an album of covers and a few that just wallowed in mediocrity.
Think if it,where are the great songs? What would you play to turn someone onto the Stones? Voodoo Lounge? Bridges to Babylon?
Steel Wheels will be 30 next year,that’s a long time in the music biz,if their music was only what they’ve done since then how good would you think they really are? Because that IS who they are now.

Date: May 29, 2018 09:09

lem motlow
The recording part of the Stones career is over and I think it’s probably best to just accept it. Voodoo Lounge? Bridges to Babylon?
Steel Wheels will be 30 next year,that’s a long time in the music biz,if their music was only what they’ve done since then how good would you think they really are? Because that IS who they are now.

Yet A GREAT double album can be made out of Steel Wheels thru to A Bigger Bang - I'd go with these 14 tracks - in the order I have this on a playlist:

It Won't Take Long
Love is Strong
Out of Control
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Already Over Me
Mixed Emotions
Almost Hear you Sigh
Break the Spell
I Go Wild
Thru and Thru
Out of Tears
Thief in the Night
Saint of Me
I Don't Wanna go Home

Bonus Tracks (if finished off)
Dreams
Cried Out
U Don't Wanna

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-29 09:10 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 29, 2018 09:15

174 pages for nothing. They don't win money with records. Concerts with high ticket price and all this merchandising where they put their image on everything are the way they choose.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2018 09:34

They don't need to do a new album now.

They've long since done what they'll be remembered for.

Up until 20 years ago, they would've been accused of "resting on their laurels" if they went out on tour just playing greatest hits with no new product.

But not anymore.

Like a recent UK news reviewer said: "If Bach were still alive today, you'd go out and see him."

Their big hits and hot rocks are cultural canon now.

They'll never surpass what went before.

Besides...

The "new album" sessions already yielded something worthwhile.

The blues cover album everyone always dreamed of.

It worked because it arose in a moment of spontaneity.

Took 3 days to make and everyone loved it.

An album that takes 3 years to make won't have that same spark.

Especially if the main principals can't agree on the overall musical approach.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 29, 2018 09:54

bitusa2012
lem motlow
The recording part of the Stones career is over and I think it’s probably best to just accept it. Voodoo Lounge? Bridges to Babylon?

Yet A GREAT double album can be made out of Steel Wheels thru to A Bigger Bang - I'd go with these 14 tracks - in the order I have this on a playlist:

It Won't Take Long
Love is Strong
Out of Control
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Already Over Me
Mixed Emotions
Almost Hear you Sigh
Break the Spell
I Go Wild
Thru and Thru
Out of Tears
Thief in the Night
Saint of Me
I Don't Wanna go Home

Bonus Tracks (if finished off)
Dreams
Cried Out
U Don't Wanna

Yet even the Stones themselves seem to have abandoned and disowned all of that. Aside from the oddball Keith tracks Slipping Away and The Worst (which are basically solo tunes), their current setlists consist of songs dating back to Tattoo You and before. While I don't mind a couple of the songs you listed and think they could spice up the setlists (though not listed, I think Rain Fall Down could perk things up), I rarely listen to them as it's clear they're nowhere near as good as tunes from the glory days, and the Stones seem to agree. When Mick says there's no point in playing new tunes because the crowd gets bored, he should be upfront and say there's no use in playing anything from the last 37 years because 90% of the audience wouldn't even know them to begin with, resulting in sheer boredom. As always, I'm still holding out hope they'll come up with something nice if they ever get around to finishing it, but based on everything they've put out in the last 37 years it's basically just wishful thinking. Meanwhile, I'll listen to some live bootlegs c.'72/'73, and just about everything else from the first 20 years - there's TONS of stuff to enjoy.

Date: May 29, 2018 10:04

How can Slipping Away and The Worst be "solo tunes"? Mick sings on both. The entire band plays on both.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2018 10:09

DandelionPowderman
How can Slipping Away and The Worst be "solo tunes"? Mick sings on both. The entire band plays on both.

Does Jagger sing behind the stage then?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 29, 2018 10:16

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Does Jagger sing behind the stage then?grinning smiley

- Doxa

On the albums, jokerman winking smiley

Date: May 29, 2018 10:18

Hairball
bitusa2012
As always, I'm still holding out hope they'll come up with something nice if they ever get around to finishing it,

i reckon the tracks I listed are better than NICE. But there ya go

Rod

Date: May 29, 2018 10:26

DandelionPowderman

I said "basically solo tunes" as they were written solely by Keith, and in a live setting Mick has nothing to do with any of it.

Here's a nice article from Rolling Stone mag listing 20 of Keith's best - with and without the Stones - but essentially pure Keith tunes no matter how you dissect them:

Keith Richards' 20 Greatest Songs

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 29, 2018 10:27

ouroux58
174 pages for nothing. They don't win money with records. Concerts with high ticket price and all this merchandising where they put their image on everything are the way they choose.

Not for nothing. Don't rule out the entertainment value. It's like reading about flat-earthers.

Date: May 29, 2018 10:31

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

I said "basically solo tunes" as they were written solely by Keith, and in a live setting Mick has nothing to do with any of it.

Here's a nice article from Rolling Stone mag listing 20 of Keith's best - with and without the Stones - but essentially pure Keith tunes no matter how you dissect them:

Wow, cool link. It's nice to see all those songs in a list like this.

Date: May 29, 2018 10:37

Something ran amok with your post above bitusa2012 - quotes somehow were reversed! Here is the correct order.
Hairball
As always, I'm still holding out hope they'll come up with something nice if they ever get around to finishing it
bitusa2012

Date: May 29, 2018 10:48

matxil
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

The article was from Sept. 10, 2015 just prior to Crosseyed Heart being released. Had it been written today I'm sure a couple from that album would have made the list.
Also, the list seems incomplete without You Don't Move Me being on there!

Date: May 29, 2018 11:12

Hairball
Something ran amok with your post above bitusa2012 - quotes somehow were reversed! Here is the correct order.
Hairball
As always, I'm still holding out hope they'll come up with something nice if they ever get around to finishing it
bitusa2012

Roger that! Thanks. Might come from me being downunder!?!?!?!?!?!? smiling smiley

Rod

Date: May 29, 2018 11:13

Hairball
matxil
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

The article was from Sept. 10, 2015 just prior to Crosseyed Heart being released. Had it been written today I'm sure a couple from that album would have made the list.
Also, the list seems incomplete without You Don't Move Me being on there!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing: a pity no songs from Crosseyed Heart are included. And in my list, the order of some songs would be different (not such a big fan of Wanna Hold You or Coming Down Again), but still, it's still an impressive collection and a nice recognition

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: May 29, 2018 12:38

They are playing great on this tour.

We don't need another album. It would add nothing to their body of work.

Let them finish the tour and get on with whatever they have left of their lives.

It's time everyone moved on. The Stones don't owe anyone anything.

Let's stop living our lives through the Stones and let them enjoy their days as they see fit.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 29, 2018 15:15

KevinLocksPerm
They are playing great on this tour.

We don't need another album. It would add nothing to their body of work.

Let them finish the tour and get on with whatever they have left of their lives.

It's time everyone moved on. The Stones don't owe anyone anything.

Let's stop living our lives through the Stones and let them enjoy their days as they see fit.

I leave it to themselves to decide, whether they want to make another studio album. It is not up to you, unasked to represent, for instance, my view. They deserve to know that there still are at least some listeners, who have a deep interest in a new studio album, if the band otherwise were to feel the inspiration and inclination to do it.

The Stones are one vital channel through which I live, but very far from the only one. Hopefully they may consider it as a privilege and not a burden to be capable of supplying such channel.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 29, 2018 15:29

There is a narrow market for albums these days. I understand the need to produce albums (on digital or physical media) for up and coming acts.
They need to come out with their music. But for The Rolling Stones? What's the point?

Date: May 29, 2018 15:29

It's interesting how the number of fans who don't want another album or don't believe they're capable of finishing the one they've started still turn up to post in this thread and drive the page count up and then complain about the page count in a new album thread with no real news. This thread exists for two reasons: fans are excited about the idea of another album and fans who don't believe it will happen or think it shouldn't happen and want to convince others of the same by posting "they can't do it" or "they shouldn't do it" repeatedly. Our collective obsession ranging from zealous support to denial will not allow us to simply ignore the thread.

As for the comparison to Flat Earthers...I would accept that if there had been no new songs written since 2012 and no recording sessions held and no producers engaged on developing the material. If we were blindly suggesting there will be another album despite no creative work towards it, then possibly it would be comparable to believing the Earth is flat. Instead you're looking at the reality that a group of old men take their time tinkering with tracks and seeing if they can write better ones and don't feel it is a priority since the fruits of their labor won't net them countless millions. It's a hobby at this point.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2018 15:42

ouroux58

I wouldn't be that cynical. Imo they know it's their last studio album so they want to make sure it's as good as it can possibly be. The good thing is there's no outside pressure on them as they've (quite successfully) managed to disconnect the recording side from the touring side! They can announce a bunch of dates, ppl will come even if there's no new album to promote.

So yeah it'll be 2019. Maybe they've got 4 or 5 songs in the can. Next time they'll gather Mick will have penned 20 new tunes and Keef will have "a few riff ideas".

Date: May 29, 2018 15:45

Stoneage
There is a narrow market for albums these days. I understand the need to produce albums (on digital or physical media) for up and coming acts.
They need to come out with their music. But for The Rolling Stones? What's the point?

A proper goodbye to the fans?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 29, 2018 15:52

Yes...anyone listening to Thief in the night will automatically turn in to a BIG STONES FAN!!! For cying out loud: what a bloody example! Please dont work as managers! Some of you! You could ruin careers!

Date: May 29, 2018 16:37

Always loved Thief In The Night! Here live with Ronnie's daughter on backing vocals, I beleive smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 29, 2018 16:45

I have a friend who I introduced to the Stones whose favorite record is Bridges to Babylon, and he was disappointed they didn't play any of it when we went to see them in 2015.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...169170171172173174175176177178179...LastNext
Current Page: 174 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home