Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2018 07:26

IanBillen
Hairball
doitywoik
Yeah, seems like the new album is slowly transforming into a future collector's item? grinning smiley

Hi doitywoik - long time no see. thumbs up Seems the new album is literally gathering moss.

All we need now is IanBillen to chime in. smiling bouncing smiley

I'm watching every bit of it .. don't you worry about that .. (ha grinning smiley ).

They did at least four actual group sessions .. and Mick and Keith got together a few times to work together on songs one on one.

Charlie also mentioned that Mick & Keith are the ones who have to live with it and it isn't out yet because they are not 100% happy just yet with the final.

They 'def' worked on it ...and quite a bit ..and like .. for quite a time span now Lol geeesh.

I don't think they will revisit the US until an album is ready / to be released.

I cant see them revisiting the US without something new.

It is late May .. Unless they only need another couple of weeks to finish it I cant see it being out this year. Time line seems to not work .. I dont think they will make it back to The States until next year.

They are taking the recording approach to the same way they tour now.. in segments... short bursts .. In stead of spending four months holed up in a studio they do a week or two here and there.
Those are recycled thoughts of yours Ian from about 50 pages ago, but glad to hear from you!

I admit, my thoughts posted earlier were also recycled. winking smiley

See you back here in a couple of months when the thread gets randomly revived from the ashes again.

Maybe no news is good news?

EDIT: I see the thread has now reached 173 pages and there is supposed to be some inside info. and updates released when it reaches 250 pages. It won't be long now! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-25 07:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 10:47

Hairball

Sure that no news is no news. smoking smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 25, 2018 12:41

I think they'll come back in the studio in September/October for a couple of weeks, if there will be a US Tour it will be in early February next year...So they'll have time to finish the new album after it...I think that at this point we must wait till Nov./Dec. 2019

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 25, 2018 14:02

Hairball
Hi doitywoik - long time no see. thumbs up Seems the new album is literally gathering moss.

Pretty busy these days, not much time to post. Also, I’m not living near enough to any of the present shows to attend. But what I see/hear on YT sounds so much better than the 2017 leg of the tour.

Since it took 16 years for the 2002 recordings to be posted in the Hot Stuff section, we probably will have to wait until 2033/34 or so until the 2015/16/17 tracks will be uploaded. By that time we all will be too deaf to listen, and there will be a thread, "What would the new songs sound like if only we could hear them" ... damn sure we'll make 100 pages minimum ... grinning smiley

Press news by then will be Mick’s 37th kid … winking smiley

IanBillen
I'm watching every bit of it .. don't you worry about that .. (ha grinning smiley ).

I never had any doubt!

Who knows, maybe the choice is between fighting over the new songs or getting along with each other (more or less) on tours (and appreciating the cash flow).

Ronnie will certainly be happy. The more shows, the more raw material for The Setlist Paintings Volume Two.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 26, 2018 05:33

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
doitywoik
Yeah, seems like the new album is slowly transforming into a future collector's item? grinning smiley

They did at least four actual group sessions .. and Mick and Keith got together a few times to work together on songs one on one.

Charlie also mentioned that Mick & Keith are the ones who have to live with it and it isn't out yet because they are not 100% happy just yet with the final.

They 'def' worked on it ...and quite a bit ..and like .. for quite a time span now Lol geeesh.

I don't think they will revisit the US until an album is ready / to be released.

It is late May .. Unless they only need another couple of weeks to finish it I cant see it being out this year. Time line seems to not work .. I dont think they will make it back to The States until next year.

They are taking the recording approach to the same way they tour now.. in segments... short bursts .. In stead of spending four months holed up in a studio they do a week or two here and there.
Those are recycled thoughts of yours Ian from about 50 pages ago, but glad to hear from you!

See you back here in a couple of months when the thread gets randomly revived from the ashes again.

EDIT: I see the thread has now reached 173 pages and there is supposed to be some inside info. and updates released when it reaches 250 pages. It won't be long now! smileys with beer

Yes .. my thoughts have been going around and around over the past two years or more .. It's like I'm in a dryer or something and as you'll surely be the first to say it .. we are no farther along or with no more news than we were at page friggin 1 here.

Personally .. (and with respect and understanding to Europe and the UK) but really I dont even want to hear about any more live shows .. I already know what they are doing live .. and have been since three years ago. I want to hear about a new album ..

All this no Filter stuff is at this point just a nostalgia thing ..and something I've saw them do since 2015. I want a new album .. that is the only thing that would excite me.

I mean all this 'ooooo .. they may play Neighbors' ... Hey ..possibly we will get 'Memory Notel' .. IMO and from over here who really cares. I wouldnt even care if they were here in the states. Their live set is old news and tired to me.. Until I get a new album .. Im not interested in anything else they are doing.

Date: May 26, 2018 06:03

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
doitywoik

Yes .. my thoughts have been going around and around over the past two years or more .. It's like I'm in a dryer or something and as you'll surely be the first to say it .. we are no farther along or with no more news than we were at page friggin 1 here.

Personally .. (and with respect and understanding to Europe and the UK) but really I dont even want to hear about any more live shows .. I already know what they are doing live .. and have been since three years ago. I want to hear about a new album ..

All this no Filter stuff is at this point just a nostalgia thing ..and something I've saw them do since 2015. I want a new album .. that is the only thing that would excite me.

I mean all this 'ooooo .. they may play Neighbors' ... Hey ..possibly we will get 'Memory Notel' .. IMO and from over here who really cares. I wouldnt even care if they were here in the states. Their live set is old news and tired to me.. Until I get a new album .. Im not interested in anything else they are doing.

I hear ya Ian - the shows seem to have become a bit stagnant like a mossy swamp, and to be honest they've been that way for quite some time. When the most recent original tune they play is over 30 years old, something's not quite right. And even with the newer blues covers which are great live, well unfortunately they've now resorted to playing only one. If people can get excited over hearing Fool to Cry from 1976, more power to them. And as someone mentioned in the show thread, if changing the order of warhorses is the new source of surprise and delight, well....somethings not quite right. If they ever return to the US as has been rumoured, I certainly won't bend over backwards to see them. I'll only pay up to $100 or less, and will only see them if they're within 50 miles from me. It's more of a tradition now than anything else - a nostalgic journey through the past as there's certainly nothing new to be seen or heard at their shows. In the meantime, look forward to following the current tour as there's nothing else happening in Stonesland....eye rolling smiley...yawn...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 26, 2018 14:39

I for one desire a new studio album, with, for instance, three songs from it adopted in regular setlists, to be ready to want to go to Stones concerts anew.
(This year I don't attend any and one only last autumn.]

Date: May 26, 2018 17:56

IanBillen

Lemme put it like this: I'm glad they (or should I say: he?) play so much better now than last year because that means Keith hasn't completely slipped off his trolley in the end, which in turn means he still seems in the shape to produce something reasonable in the studio. In that respect good new shows are good news to me.

As for the shows themselves, well, it's getting too much of the same for me. I dunno what the current ticket prices are but I betcha they didn't get any cheaper and I'm - let's say, reluctant - to pay another, larger, heap of top cash each time round for a show that hasn't really changed since 2002. And I'm somewhat tired of all the talk of what's there left to prove for a band like the Stones who reached any possible cenite out there. Easy to answer: prove you're not just a tourist attraction but go out and do something different after almost 20 years of the same. Neil can do it, the Crim can do it, so it's not a matter of age. Admitted, Neil and the Crim both have their war horses too but none of them has a problem with playing new stuff or quite differently arranged stuff beside the signature tunes. I'd rather have them in the studio than pleasing the world with No Filter pt 723.

Hairball

Means we need to get going again to fill the missing 77 pages as fast as we can! (The quote function might come in handy here …) grinning smiley Inside info and updates would be highly welcome on my end, about to wear out on recycling the basically same jokes since I joined the thread for good. - Although, the joke about (loss of) hearing was new, I think winking smiley

Witness
I for one desire a new studio album, with, for instance, three songs from it adopted in regular setlists, to be ready to want to go to Stones concerts anew.

Why only three new songs (provided there are more than just three good ones)? And in the meanwhile, why not explore the whole catalogue for a change?

Here’s my suggestion for the next tour: Offroad Stones - Not A Single War Horse ….

Date: May 26, 2018 18:07

I was trying to be realistic, wanting three songs only.

Ideally, I would have wished for all songs from a new studio album. And all of BLUE AND LONESOME, for instance in a mid section.

Date: May 26, 2018 18:43

doitywoik
IanBillen

Lemme put it like this: I'm glad they (or should I say: he?) play so much better now than last year because that means Keith hasn't completely slipped off his trolley in the end, which in turn means he still seems in the shape to produce something reasonable in the studio. In that respect good new shows are good news to me.

As for the shows themselves, well, it's getting too much of the same for me. I dunno what the current ticket prices are but I betcha they didn't get any cheaper and I'm - let's say, reluctant - to pay another, larger, heap of top cash each time round for a show that hasn't really changed since 2002. And I'm somewhat tired of all the talk of what's there left to prove for a band like the Stones who reached any possible cenite out there. Easy to answer: prove you're not just a tourist attraction but go out and do something different after almost 20 years of the same. Neil can do it, the Crim can do it, so it's not a matter of age. Admitted, Neil and the Crim both have their war horses too but none of them has a problem with playing new stuff or quite differently arranged stuff beside the signature tunes. I'd rather have them in the studio than pleasing the world with No Filter pt 723.

Hairball

Means we need to get going again to fill the missing 77 pages as fast as we can! (The quote function might come in handy here …) grinning smiley Inside info and updates would be highly welcome on my end, about to wear out on recycling the basically same jokes since I joined the thread for good. - Although, the joke about (loss of) hearing was new, I think winking smiley

Witness

Why only three new songs (provided there are more than just three good ones)? And in the meanwhile, why not explore the whole catalogue for a change?

Here’s my suggestion for the next tour: Offroad Stones - Not A Single War Horse ….

Bump. winking smiley

Offroad Stones... a very nice idea...maybe in another lifetime.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 26, 2018 22:00

Mick and Keith's body language looking good on stage so far....something tells me that's a good thing with regards to the upcoming new record....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 26, 2018 23:07

None of us really know what's going on. I love when I hear from GEorgelicks but also take what he hears from insiders at Universal with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure their PR people are bright folks but probably around 30 years old and probably understand hip hop, and Taylor Swift better than Stones music.
I think it's got to hard being " the Stones ". I said several months ago that in our youth music was much more important. Priorities change with kids, mortgages, college tuitions. When I was 16 I went through 10 copies of " Some Girls" in the summer of 1978 sneaking beers and rolling joints with friends. Music was more shared with peers. Now u have 4 kids in a college dorm room listening to 4 different things through iPhones. So I was pondering this the other day to myself. If the stones hadn't released "Some Girls" in 1978 and they released it now as the brand new album would we hail it as a classic or would we diss it like ABB? Not sure what the answer would be, but pretty sure we would not give it the iconic status that it received in 1978. I'm hoping for a mature album. I want some nice acoustic songs i.e. " NO Expectations", and some soul blues like " No use in crying " or " Tops". I want some good rockers that are not generic like
" You got me Rocking",and don't want lyrics about cocks and tits from 75 year old men like some of the stuff off ABB. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think they can do it if they really want to. I still think " Crosseyed Heart" is the strongest stones related material since " Tattoo You". I also hope that this most likely last outing is producing enough for 2 new albums like the songwriting groove in 1977 which carried 3 full albums. We only need 18 good songs. Release one fall 2018 and the 2nd album on the 60th anniversary. And yes I realize my hope for 2 albums is a tad psychotic on my part, but I can still dream.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:08

Witness
I was trying to be realistic, wanting three songs only.

OK, I see you're a seasoned, experienced Stones fan! smileys with beer

Rip This
Mick and Keith's body language looking good on stage so far....something tells me that's a good thing with regards to the upcoming new record....

Same hope here.

Bashlets
None of us really know what's going on. I love when I hear from GEorgelicks but also take what he hears from insiders at Universal with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure their PR people are bright folks but probably around 30 years old and probably understand hip hop, and Taylor Swift better than Stones music.

Yeah, georgelicks is missed, and so are his news reports. But what to do if there is nothing to report. Depending on the precise nature of his source, folks at Universal certainly will always make sure to come across not too negative, the album is going to be part of their catalogue, after all. They will certainly not say "They hardly did any work in the studio and what they did is crap", or the like.

Bashlets
I think it's got to hard being " the Stones ".

Well, the pay smoothend out the edges, I guess. …

Bashlets
I said several months ago that in our youth music was much more important. Priorities change with kids, mortgages, college tuitions. When I was 16 I went through 10 copies of " Some Girls" in the summer of 1978 sneaking beers and rolling joints with friends. Music was more shared with peers. Now u have 4 kids in a college dorm room listening to 4 different things through iPhones. So I was pondering this the other day to myself. If the stones hadn't released "Some Girls" in 1978 and they released it now as the brand new album would we hail it as a classic or would we diss it like ABB? Not sure what the answer would be, but pretty sure we would not give it the iconic status that it received in 1978. I'm hoping for a mature album. I want some nice acoustic songs i.e. " NO Expectations", and some soul blues like " No use in crying " or " Tops". I want some good rockers that are not generic like
" You got me Rocking",and don't want lyrics about cocks and tits from 75 year old men like some of the stuff off ABB.

The importance of music in society and especially in youth culture has changed quite a bit. Music is no longer as important, personal, and personality and peer-group defining as it used to be in my youth. I can’t imagine schoolyard fights today about who’s the better band, like in my day Deep Purple vs. Sweet (too young for Beatles vs. Stones) - BTW, I sided with Deep Purple. grinning smiley Made in Japan is one of the all-time greatest live albums.

Yeah, what if ABB came out in ’75 (with 70ies’ production), and Some Girls had come out in 2005. Often wondering myself. Not just the Stones but also we got older, life asks its toll, and also we listened to a lot of music in between.

Some good acoustic numbers would be nice indeed.

Date: May 27, 2018 01:36

We agree on many things Bashlets, including the direction they should take for the new album..

And: '"Crosseyed Heart" is the strongest stones related material since " Tattoo You"'....yes it is.

Also this: "When I was 16 I went through 10 copies of " Some Girls" in the summer of 1978 sneaking beers and rolling joints with friends".

I was 15 sneaking beers and rolling joints with friends, but didn't quite go through that many copies haha.
I vividly remember my older brother and I having a listening party for the new Some Girls - just the two of us starting around 4:00 in the afternoon. A case a beer, a bag of weed, and a bunch of other stuff to listen to as intermissions in between listening to Some Girls from start to finish again. Can't be sure as things became a bit hazy throughout the night, but probably made it through at least 10 listens, finished the case of beer, and smoked at least several giant joints. Had such a great time, and the album was ingrained forever. Emotional Rescue didn't quite have the same impact on me (though there were several good tunes), but Tattoo You was another memorable experience listening repeatedly in the weeks leading up to my first Stones concerts, and is one that has stood the test of time from start to finish. The only time after that where I felt a strong connection to a Stones-related album was Crosseyed Heart which I listened to repeatedly for months, and still love it to this day. Talk is Cheap is great, but Crosseyed Heart is better. The rest have been mostly weak and just didn't quite do it for me (give or take a track here and there), which I fear may happen with any new Stones album - especially after listening to Mick's dismal Getta Grip/England Lost. But with the Blue and Lonesome covers album (which was just OK) there's a chance they will get back to the roots of it all - playing and recording originals together as a team. That's the hope anyways...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 27, 2018 02:13

Yeah, georgelicks is missed, and so are his news reports. But what to do if there is nothing to report. 

I'm always here, but there's nothing new to report, with the vinyl box set and the Beggars Banquet re-issue that's all for 2018, the new album went to 2019 and that's if the band want to finish it any time soon.

Date: May 27, 2018 07:59

Well you know there's 'no rush' as I often hear.. .. I mean... it isn't as if they are an aging band ... or that they haven't put a new album of original material out in like 13 years or so .. .. ..

It isn't like we only had two studio albums of original material in the last ... see here>> 24 years -

Then let us not forget there folks .. there is the <family time> thing we need to understand .. .. ...

**How dare we want a new album? .. It is pretty darn selfish of us to want one of these ... It isn't like they are still touring regularly or doing all kinds of other things these days (like recording with other people on 'their' albums lol smh) .. .. .. ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-28 02:42 by IanBillen.

Date: May 27, 2018 10:18

As I think otherwise than some, maybe many, other posters, I would like to say that I don't want an overtly 'mature' album. For that matter, passions do not necessarily die away with increasing age.

Besides, to me TATTOO YOU and CROSSEYED HEART are not at all references for what I want, whereas to some extent, "Gotta to Get Grip" / "England Lost" could have been such references. But quite as much something other, which might be different also from the styles that those two songs represent. The point is that I prefer a new studio album to be somewhat different from earlier Stones related albums. Only for instance, the way UNDERCOVER involved a movement from EMOTIONAL RESCUE, I might have been delighted if they now "moved" from EMOTIONAL RESCUE in another direction, entering a musical "terrain" that even the best posters in IORR would lack concepts to describe and analyze, until they had heard such an album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-27 10:23 by Witness.

Date: May 28, 2018 19:11

Some Girls ... memories coming ... hehe ...

By the time Some Girls came out I had the first Stones album (which was my first album altogether, followed by one of those Hendrix In The Beginning albums on which he possibly doesn't even play - but what did I know back then -, followed by Made In Japan, which really blew me away ...) and YaYas, had a tape (cassette) copy of Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup, and my brother had Got Live If You Want it and another early album as a twofer, and one of us had Black&Blue (can't remember if it initially was his or mine), and I knew all the Stones songs that used to be played on parties at that time, of course. I felt Goats was a bit of a let-down and I wasn't really fond of Black&Blue either, so when Miss You came out as a single and appeared to indicate that the Stones were now riding the disco train, too, I wasn't really inclined to go for Some Girls. Apparently, Some Girls didn't really sell well in the beginning over here because after a couple of weeks it was sold for half the original price. That was when I went for it, thinking it couldn't be so terrible not to be worth half the price of a regular LP. Well, and I was pleasantly surprised as it turned out to be a damn good album. Shortly after that I bought the Sticky Fingers LP to replace the tape, and also Exile.

My expectations were high when Emotional Rescue was released, but were not fully met. I liked the overall raw sound but to me, the songs weren’t on a par with Some Girls. Like, Dance has a nice groove but the song doesn’t really take off, and similarly many other songs (although I still really like the guitar work on Dance, all the little things they do in the background). I immediately loved Down In The Hole and still think it’s one of their best songs (funnily, there was a pub where they had Down In The Hole in the music box, must have been the flip side of some single), and hated Emotional Rescue (still don’t like the song). A review in a mag back then compared the album to demonstrating you can still run up five stories without running out of breath, and that’s pretty much what it sounds like.

Tattoo You was the Stones sounding modern (well, 80s style), and mostly good songs, too (my highlight: Slave). They could have left off Neighbours, too close a cousin to Send It To Me and She’s So Cold, and Hang Fire is merely a filler, too.

Undercover, well ... to me, the best thing about it is the cover ... I agree with Witness that it sounds different from its predecessor but as far as I’m concerned there’s not a single decent song on it. Some songs got their moments but on the whole - not my cup of tea, weakest album they ever did, and by far so, and a terrible production. A mag wrote, Feel On is finally a Stones reggae that doesn’t sound like a sprained ankle. Well, yes.

Dirty Work was rather a relief, demonstrating they’ve still got it and can still be rough and hard-hitting, only wanting a little on the ballad side. One Hit is not only among my favourite songs but is also my favourite video. Funnily, DW got rave reviews over here when it came out and I definitely prefer it to ER or Undercover. I was rather surprised to find out people at IORR rate it rather lowly.

As for the Work In Progress - should it be mature? Depends on your definition. Decent would be fine enough with me. Personally, I would prefer a naturally-sounding album to a modernist attempt but that’s a matter of taste. It boils down to the songs. Couple of great ones, couple of good ones, fillers inevitable, maybe, that’s alright at that point. In principle(!), Rick Rubin would seem like an adequate producer, weren’t it for all those reasons speaking against him that have already been discussed for tons of pages. As I have said before, a two-album solution would also be fine with me, one Mick-style, one Keith-style, could even be the same songs, or share a couple. Any direction they might go is fine with me - as long as I like the result (... which is not exactly an objective criterion winking smiley ). We will never have a consensus anyway whether it’s great or OK or crap, or which songs would qualify for which such description. As we know from the live show threads, one man’s trainwreck is another man’s gem.

georgelicks
I'm always here,

"This is the Central Scrutinizer ..." grinning smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 28, 2018 19:22

georgelicks

with the vinyl box set and the Beggars Banquet re-issue that's all for 2018, ...

And don't forget 1 (maybe 2?) "Vault" release(-s) - we already know we'll definitely have San José 1999 this very year!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 28, 2018 19:25

IanBillen
Well you know there's 'no rush' as I often hear.. ..

Considering you're not even close to 75, Ian, chances are good you'll live long enough to enjoy the eventual release of the new album. Since it isn't going to be a major release with hit singles launching a major world tour where they play the hell out of the album, does it really matter when it comes out? They'll keep playing their hits for as long as they are able. A new album won't change that. Whether all the material is from the past seven years or whether it's a hodge-podge of material going back to VOODOO LOUNGE or even STEEL WHEELS, it'll still be an eclectic mix of styles that is somehow a familiar pastiche of what has come before.

Date: May 28, 2018 20:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
georgelicks

with the vinyl box set and the Beggars Banquet re-issue that's all for 2018, ...

And don't forget 1 (maybe 2?) "Vault" release(-s) - we already know we'll definitely have San José 1999 this very year!

Provided they keep on playing well through the current tour and in view of the (at this point, still seeming) fact (or tendency) that they incorporate songs in the setlists that didn't get played too often in (more or less) recent times (e.g. The Worst, Neighbours, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, Fool To Cry), there might also be another live album at some point.

Date: May 28, 2018 20:32

Rocky Dijon
Considering you're not even close to 75, Ian, chances are good you'll live long enough to enjoy the eventual release of the new album.

But time waits for noone and it won’t wait for us:

doitywoik
By that time we all will be too deaf to listen, and there will be a thread, "What would the new songs sound like if only we could hear them" ... damn sure we'll make 100 pages minimum ... grinning smiley

Rocky Dijon
Whether all the material is from the past seven years or whether it's a hodge-podge of material going back to VOODOO LOUNGE or even STEEL WHEELS, it'll still be an eclectic mix of styles that is somehow a familiar pastiche of what has come before.

Personally I don’t quite understand why one should bash them (as sometimes seems to transpire in various places over threads and time) for going back to older unreleased songs or sketches as long as they make the album better. If they are good songs I don’t really care whether they were written, or first sketched out, in 1978 or 2018 or any year before or in between.

Date: May 28, 2018 20:41

doitywoik
RoughJusticeOnYa
georgelicks

Provided they keep on playing well through the current tour and in view of the (at this point, still seeming) fact (or tendency) that they incorporate songs in the setlists that didn't get played too often in (more or less) recent times (e.g. The Worst, Neighbours, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, Fool To Cry), there might also be another live album at some point.

True enough, and I've been thinking the same thing.
But really...other than those who have attended the shows and might want an official souvenir, this might fall into the "oh no not you again" category for everyone else.
Just as greatest hit compilation is unnecessary, the same with this, although I guess it might be nice to have live versions of the blues covers and maybe another live version of Midnight Rambler as it's been awhile since we've had one of those officially. Wild Horses and Dead Flowers were just released on Sticky Fingers live and would be unnecessary to release again. The Worst might be nice and maybe Neighbors, but Fool to Cry...meh. And a live version of Dancing with Mr. D from last year might be worthy, but really...can't say I'd be willing to buy any of it.

Beggars Banquet Deluxe with bonus material is all that really matters at this point, and actually look much more forward to it than a new studio album of originals.

Date: May 28, 2018 20:52

doitywoik

If they are good songs I don’t really care whether they were written, or first sketched out, in 1978 or 2018 or any year before or in between.

Agree as was the case with Tattoo You. And the recently leaked tunes from the aborted album from 2002 shows that maybe the older the better at this point in time.
As it stands now regarding the supposed new album, aside from a few sessions which we really know nothing about (*we were told some of it is weak and uneven and some is ok but far from finished), what we do know is they hit a wall and Mick went solo with Getta Grip/England Lost. And Mick has a bunch of other demos and Keith has three "dynamite" riffs. Charlie doesn't even know what heck's going on for crying out loud!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 28, 2018 22:13

I actually prefer Tattoo You over Some Girls at this point in my life. Side 2 ranks right up with their best ever

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2018 22:27

Rocky Dijon
Whether all the material is from the past seven years or whether it's a hodge-podge of material going back to VOODOO LOUNGE or even STEEL WHEELS, it'll still be an eclectic mix of styles that is somehow a familiar pastiche of what has come before.

That's true. The Stones as a band, or Mick and Keith as song-writers, haven't changed one bit for the last 25 years or so. So they could easily pick up a couple of out-takes from, say, VOODOO LOUNGE sessions and release those alongside the new material and it would sound more coherent than TATTOO YOU ever did. For TATTOO YOU they actually needed some mastermind engineering, since the band, and Mick and Keith as song-writers, had changed along those seven/eight years the material covers.

- Doxa

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 29, 2018 00:21

I've said it before... All I really hope for in a new Stones record is a M+K harmony here and there. I love their voices together, and they just don't sing together much anymore. Not sure why. But that would make me happy. A new record that was simply about making music together, not trying to be relevant, not trying to sound like '78 or '72. Just make us some lovely music, gentlemen. The kind of music a bunch of guys in their 70's who have played together forever might make. It doesn't have to be amazing, or relevant, or radio friendly in any way.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 29, 2018 01:23

georgelicks
Yeah, georgelicks is missed, and so are his news reports. But what to do if there is nothing to report. 

I'm always here, but there's nothing new to report, with the vinyl box set and the Beggars Banquet re-issue that's all for 2018, the new album went to 2019 and that's if the band want to finish it any time soon.

Thanks for the update, sounds like the title of the thread will have to be updated...again !

Any info on any goodies for the B&B re-issue ? There wasn't much for SF compared to Exile or SG...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 29, 2018 02:36

doitywoik
RoughJusticeOnYa
georgelicks

That wouldn't be a surprise at this point. They've been doing more of that than ever before, within context of their career, anyway, with SWEET SUMMER SUN in 2013, STICKY FINGERS LIVE in 2015 and HAVANA MOON in 2016.

So NO FILTER in 2018 or 2019, before a supposed new studio album, obviously.

Date: May 29, 2018 03:12

Rocky Dijon
IanBillen
Well you know there's 'no rush' as I often hear.. ..

Considering you're not even close to 75, Ian, chances are good you'll live long enough to enjoy the eventual release of the new album. Since it isn't going to be a major release with hit singles launching a major world tour where they play the hell out of the album, does it really matter when it comes out? They'll keep playing their hits for as long as they are able. A new album won't change that. Whether all the material is from the past seven years or whether it's a hodge-podge of material going back to VOODOO LOUNGE or even STEEL WHEELS, it'll still be an eclectic mix of styles that is somehow a familiar pastiche of what has come before.

This is a quality response .. Where would I be without you (and Hairball) to
shed a little light or logic onto this thing at times.

I agree with what you say but I really am concerned at two or three things over the delay.

1. Will it still sound as good? .. Will it sound Alive .. of substance and excitement or quality as their albums in the past?

2. WILL it come at all ? .. Anything can happen at any time at their age. I am fearful we may never get it. It is sort of selfish but I think they would most likely rather have worked on it and then put it out than let it go if something were to happen where they couldn't.

3. The longer they wait will people still care or will it lesson its value like a new Beach Boys album? B & L was a shocker .. but not sure they could garner 'weight' if they weight that extra year or two.

What do yall think?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home