Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...162163164165166167168169170171172...LastNext
Current Page: 167 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2018 09:52

doitywoik
So, to judge from the other thread we're indeed going to get the greatest hits compilation, though in a arather unexpected way: 15 LPs in vinyl, and each song a greatest hit ... grinning smiley

The rumoured title for the vinyl compilation is called "Cashing-in-on-the-tour-while-procrastinating-and-delaying-new-album-until-2020". eye rolling smileywinking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 25, 2018 18:21

Hairball
OK perhaps not a big seller as far as numbers sold, but imagine if they sell it at the merch stands during the upcoming tour overpriced at £30 alongside the overpriced £50 t-shirts - while they might not sell very many, they would make alot of extra money to have some extra "family time" when the tour is over. winking smiley Then when they're well rested, time to hit the road back to the US for the Fall of '18 or early '19. Meanwhile, any work they might have finished on supposed new album will stew and ferment for however long...eventually (hopefully) resulting in something tasty...like a fine wine or a perfectly aged piece of cheese... to be released in 2020 to wide acclaim.

Mr. Hair ...

'2020' .. You are still OK with that? .... Then Why not 2025?

Yikes ha

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 25, 2018 20:02

In the year 2025..
If man is still alive..
You might find..

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:15

Rokyfan
In the year 2025..

Make it 2525. Give'em the little extra time to get it right ....

Date: April 25, 2018 22:28

IanBillen
Hairball
OK perhaps not a big seller as far as numbers sold, but imagine if they sell it at the merch stands during the upcoming tour overpriced at £30 alongside the overpriced £50 t-shirts - while they might not sell very many, they would make alot of extra money to have some extra "family time" when the tour is over. winking smiley Then when they're well rested, time to hit the road back to the US for the Fall of '18 or early '19. Meanwhile, any work they might have finished on supposed new album will stew and ferment for however long...eventually (hopefully) resulting in something tasty...like a fine wine or a perfectly aged piece of cheese... to be released in 2020 to wide acclaim.

Mr. Hair ...

'2020' .. You are still OK with that? .... Then Why not 2025?

Yikes ha

Sure Ian, I'm OK with 2020...or even 2025...why not? Been so long, an extra year or two (or five) makes no difference at this point. Beggars Banquet Deluxe is coming down the pike this year, and I'm more enthusiastic about that than a new album. And since it will be out this year, another delay for the new album seems obvious as it's doubtful they would release both within the same time frame. Could a new album still be released this year? Maybe, but then there's the new vinyl box set (yawn) coming out in June as well. As georgelicks mentioned in this thread >'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018:

"This is the rumoured compilation that it was on talks in Universal about 2 months ago, something to cash in during the 2018 tour and released just in time for father's day, but it looks like it shifted from compilation to vinyl box set to cash in more money out of it. Universal is not expecting any new album this year, it's not ready yet and the band has no rush to get it done any time soon, 2019 is the new date.
Also, a Beggars Banquet's 50th anniversary re-issue with bonus content is scheduled to be released on November 30th or December 7th, that's confirmed"

So lots happening except a new album...some great, some not so great...that's the way the Stones roll these days...cashing in on the past.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 25, 2018 22:41

Plus San Jose '99, no?

Date: April 25, 2018 22:44

Maindefender
Plus San Jose '99, no?

Yes, another delay tactic! winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 25, 2018 23:53

Hairball
Maindefender
Plus San Jose '99, no?

Yes, another delay tactic! winking smiley

Exile on delay street....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:10

Hairball

Sure Ian, I'm OK with 2020...or even 2025...why not?

Me too - they should release the new (last?) Studio-Album in 2022 in time for the 60th Anniversary of the Band ....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:16

I go away for a little while and... NOTHING! Except more jabbing about how much later it might be. Hilarious.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:19

I have a gut feeling we're actually VERY close to the release of the new CD.

Date: April 26, 2018 01:50

Irix
Hairball

Me too - they should release the new (last?) Studio-Album in 2022 in time for the 60th Anniversary of the Band ....

Sounds about right, and "2022 (60 Years and Counting)" would make for a nice title of a tour and the album.

Date: April 26, 2018 01:51

Irix
Hairball

Shhhhh guys, you might spark an idea ...eye popping smiley

Date: April 26, 2018 09:27

jlowe
Hairball
matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball
Seems Keith have have won the battle of the wits between "classic Stones" sound vs. "experimental contemporary" - at least at the time of that interview
And while I don't mind the random Stonesy style danceable tune ala Miss You or Hot Stuff, looks like we'll be gifted with soome classic Stones tunes stemming from the blues covers album.
No bells and whistles, or samples, drum machines, and rappers needed...leave that crap to Madonna (or Jagger solo).

Well, where does that leave tracks like YCAGWYA; Miss You ; Undercover; Continental Drift; Angie...and countless others which were certainly not your 'typical' Stones (or Keith) song.
By most peoples standards they aren't exactly experimental either. But still loved...and in some cases still performed.
A more varied style on their next albumwould be appreciated by many people.. That is if the songwriting skills are up to it.

Indeed and I'm all for a varied album with not so typical Stones sounds (I did mention Miss You as likeable), but that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career - especially given the division between Mick and Keith and what direction they want the album to go. Keith used the phrase "classic Stones" while Mick used the phrase "experimental contemporary". Listen to Crossyed Heart and Getta Grip/England Lost and that's probably the best way to interpret and understand where they're coming from these days and whats causing the division.

I wouldn't call Crosseyed Heart "classic Stones". It's typical post-80s Keith, but still evolving, a quite refreshing interpretation of soul. I am refering to the soul songs now, which make this album so good. The rest is okay, but not particularly interesting and, yes, slightly predictable "classic Stones"-y.

But since pure rock music hasn't produced anything remotely new or fresh or exciting since the late 70s, I don't see how the Stones, even if Mick and Keith were on the same wavelength, could change that. Fresh or exciting stuff in the past 40 years was either some mixture of electronic music and rap (one way or other), or underground avant-garde (and that's been some while ago). Neither of which the Stones really could possibly excel at.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Crosseyed Heart as "classic Stones" either as it's a Keith solo album start to finish, but it's definitely closer to the direction Keith would like to take the new album vs. the Getta Grip/England Lost direction that Mick came up with.

I don't see the problem then.
Just mix the style and moods...an eclectic mix btter than same old same old.
Mick recognised and stated as such 40 years or so ago that rock music is a VERY limited art form. So progress, experiment.Mature even.
The Beatles music was a blend of two or even three very diverse styles. They took their fans with them. So can The Stones surely.
Nothing to lose. As Keith has said he doesn't expect Madonna type sales.

Sure.. an eclectic album would be fine .. they have done those before .. but if the songs while being different are not so strong .. or worthy of album material
the 'mixing' will only go so far. Song writing has tobe good (as well as the performances) .. before the mix is ever even inplay.

If the material is different yet not that great or unfinished it doesn't matter.

Just bringing this thought into light. You can have a fair song and mix it any way ya want .. or arrange it any way ya want .. it wont change the fact that its only fair. It would be easy to catch they tried to cover a poor song in the production and it sounds cheezy when this happens.

They might have five good RS style songs .. and 5-10 experimental songs that are not that great. That would make the album lopsided toward fair or even poor even though five RS songs out of 15 would be really really good. Just noting there 'could be' (not saying there is) .. there could be other factors involved.

Date: April 26, 2018 09:29

IanBillen
jlowe
Hairball
matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball
Seems Keith have have won the battle of the wits between "classic Stones" sound vs. "experimental contemporary" - at least at the time of that interview
And while I don't mind the random Stonesy style danceable tune ala Miss You or Hot Stuff, looks like we'll be gifted with soome classic Stones tunes stemming from the blues covers album.
No bells and whistles, or samples, drum machines, and rappers needed...leave that crap to Madonna (or Jagger solo).

Well, where does that leave tracks like YCAGWYA; Miss You ; Undercover; Continental Drift; Angie...and countless others which were certainly not your 'typical' Stones (or Keith) song.
By most peoples standards they aren't exactly experimental either. But still loved...and in some cases still performed.
A more varied style on their next albumwould be appreciated by many people.. That is if the songwriting skills are up to it.

Indeed and I'm all for a varied album with not so typical Stones sounds (I did mention Miss You as likeable), but that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career - especially given the division between Mick and Keith and what direction they want the album to go. Keith used the phrase "classic Stones" while Mick used the phrase "experimental contemporary". Listen to Crossyed Heart and Getta Grip/England Lost and that's probably the best way to interpret and understand where they're coming from these days and whats causing the division.

I wouldn't call Crosseyed Heart "classic Stones". It's typical post-80s Keith, but still evolving, a quite refreshing interpretation of soul. I am refering to the soul songs now, which make this album so good. The rest is okay, but not particularly interesting and, yes, slightly predictable "classic Stones"-y.

But since pure rock music hasn't produced anything remotely new or fresh or exciting since the late 70s, I don't see how the Stones, even if Mick and Keith were on the same wavelength, could change that. Fresh or exciting stuff in the past 40 years was either some mixture of electronic music and rap (one way or other), or underground avant-garde (and that's been some while ago). Neither of which the Stones really could possibly excel at.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Crosseyed Heart as "classic Stones" either as it's a Keith solo album start to finish, but it's definitely closer to the direction Keith would like to take the new album vs. the Getta Grip/England Lost direction that Mick came up with.

I don't see the problem then.
Just mix the style and moods...an eclectic mix btter than same old same old.
Mick recognised and stated as such 40 years or so ago that rock music is a VERY limited art form. So progress, experiment.Mature even.
The Beatles music was a blend of two or even three very diverse styles. They took their fans with them. So can The Stones surely.
Nothing to lose. As Keith has said he doesn't expect Madonna type sales.

Sure.. an eclectic album would be fine .. they have done those before .. but if the songs while being different are not so strong .. or worthy of album material
the 'mixing' will only go so far. Song writing has tobe good (as well as the performances) .. before the mix is ever even inplay.

If the material is different yet not that great or unfinished it doesn't matter.

Just bringing this thought into light. You can have a fair song and mix it any way ya want .. or arrange it any way ya want .. it wont make enough difference . It would be easy to catch they tried to cover a poor song in the production and it sounds cheezy when this happens.

They might have five good RS style songs .. and 5-10 experimental songs that are not that great. That would make the album lopsided toward fair or even poor even though five RS songs out of 15 would be really really good. Just noting there 'could be' (not saying there is) .. there could be other factors involved. We don't know the situation.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2018 09:54

Bungo
I have a gut feeling we're actually VERY close to the release of the new CD.

You are VERY optimistic!! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 09:55 by KRiffhard.

Date: April 26, 2018 10:39

IanBillen
...if the songs while being different are not so strong .. or worthy of album material

Just bringing this thought into light. You can have a fair song and mix it any way ya want .. or arrange it any way ya want .. it wont make enough difference . It would be easy to catch they tried to cover a poor song in the production and it sounds cheezy when this happens.

I believe we're in agreement once again Ian as just a few pages ago I stated similar thoughts, though I kept it brief:

"a turd of a song is a turd no matter how much someone tries to polish it".

*Unless...the turd happens to be a Turd on the Run in which case it is a great turd with great production, but that type of turd is unique and one of a kind lol.

Turd On The Run thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2018 19:32

Since Greatest Hits albums are kind of boring if no new greatest hit is emerging on the horizon, how about a Greatest Turds album? They could spend years fighting over the track list ...

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 26, 2018 20:08

doitywoik
Since Greatest Hits albums are kind of boring if no new greatest hit is emerging on the horizon, how about a Greatest Turds album? They could spend years fighting over the track list ...

There is precedent...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: April 26, 2018 20:10

Wouldn't this be a rerelease of Dirty Work with a few songs from ABB tossed in as extra's?

doitywoik

Date: April 26, 2018 21:42

doitywoik

Similar to Sucking in the '70's - various title options:

Big Turds (High Tide and Green Grass)

Through the Past Darkly (Big Turds Vol.2)

Hot Turds

More Hot Turds (Big Turds and Fazed Cookies)

Turd in the Shade

40 Turds

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 26, 2018 21:59

2020 Tour name - Hindsight is 2020

Date: April 26, 2018 22:10

Hairball
doitywoik

Similar to Sucking in the '70's - various title options:

Big Turds (High Tide and Green Grass)

Through the Past Darkly (Big Turds Vol.2)

Hot Turds

More Hot Turds (Big Turds and Fazed Cookies)

Turd in the Shade

40 Turds

... and Live Turds! grinning smiley --- IMHO Live Licks was the most superfluous live album of all.

Another Stones Studio Album in 2028
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 26, 2018 12:26

I thought this might be a more realistic thread title for the next studio album.

Let the good times roll. Get discussing spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Another Stones Studio Album in 2022
Date: April 26, 2018 14:15

KevinLocksPerm

I thought this might be a more realistic thread title for the next studio album.

Maybe 2022 in time for the 60th Anniversary of the Band ....

Better a late & superb Album release than quick & dirty. smiling smiley

Re: Another Stones Studio Album in 2028
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2018 16:39

Eventually this thread will be merged with its predecessor.

Date: April 26, 2018 17:56

The cover will have them in wheelchairs and the new album will be called "Still Rolling Along"

Date: April 26, 2018 18:40

georgemcdonnell314

The cover will have them in wheelchairs and the new album will be called "Still Rolling Along"

Or it'll look like these: [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [Eulenspiegel-Laden.de] .... winking smiley

Re: Another Stones Studio Album in 2022
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 26, 2018 21:22

Irix
KevinLocksPerm

Maybe 2022 in time for the 60th Anniversary of the Band ....

Better a late & superb Album release than quick & dirty. smiling smiley

You could never accuse the Stones of being quick and dirty.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 26, 2018 21:44

In 2028 you can visit the graveyards of some former Rolling Stones members.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...162163164165166167168169170171172...LastNext
Current Page: 167 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home