Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 20, 2018 07:10

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. If they gave them their best shot at that time and it got across as uneven, lacking direction, too many weak/boring/average songs among it ... one the one hand humiliating (although maybe not to all of them ...), and the withheld part perhaps better be prepared for a splendid leak ...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 20, 2018 11:39

Keith makes a reference to ”modern”music and mentions Madonna? I hope he doesnt think Stones means three Keithballads and some uninspired riff on repeat.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 20, 2018 12:09

Hairball
Seems Keith have have won the battle of the wits between "classic Stones" sound vs. "experimental contemporary" - at least at the time of that interview
And while I don't mind the random Stonesy style danceable tune ala Miss You or Hot Stuff, looks like we'll be gifted with soome classic Stones tunes stemming from the blues covers album.
No bells and whistles, or samples, drum machines, and rappers needed...leave that crap to Madonna (or Jagger solo).

Well, where does that leave tracks like YCAGWYA; Miss You ; Undercover; Continental Drift; Angie...and countless others which were certainly not your 'typical' Stones (or Keith) song.
By most peoples standards they aren't exactly experimental either. But still loved...and in some cases still performed.
A more varied style on their next albumwould be appreciated by many people.. That is if the songwriting skills are up to it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 20, 2018 12:44

Enough mucking about !

It's time for a country album of Hank Williams and Merle Haggard covers grinning smiley

[they can knock it out with a cup of tea at the rehearsals ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 12:55 by Spud.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2018 12:49

jlowe
Hairball
Seems Keith have have won the battle of the wits between "classic Stones" sound vs. "experimental contemporary" - at least at the time of that interview
And while I don't mind the random Stonesy style danceable tune ala Miss You or Hot Stuff, looks like we'll be gifted with soome classic Stones tunes stemming from the blues covers album.
No bells and whistles, or samples, drum machines, and rappers needed...leave that crap to Madonna (or Jagger solo).

Well, where does that leave tracks like YCAGWYA; Miss You ; Undercover; Continental Drift; Angie...and countless others which were certainly not your 'typical' Stones (or Keith) song.
By most peoples standards they aren't exactly experimental either. But still loved...and in some cases still performed.
A more varied style on their next albumwould be appreciated by many people.. That is if the songwriting skills are up to it.

Indeed and I'm all for a varied album with not so typical Stones sounds (I did mention Miss You as likeable), but that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career - especially given the division between Mick and Keith and what direction they want the album to go. Keith used the phrase "classic Stones" while Mick used the phrase "experimental contemporary". Listen to Crossyed Heart and Getta Grip/England Lost and that's probably the best way to interpret and understand where they're coming from these days and whats causing the division.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 20, 2018 12:58

Hairball
jlowe
Hairball

Indeed and I'm all for a varied album with not so typical Stones sounds (I did mention Miss You as likeable), but that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career - especially given the division between Mick and Keith and what direction they want the album to go. Keith used the phrase "classic Stones" while Mick used the phrase "experimental contemporary". Listen to Crossyed Heart and Getta Grip/England Lost and that's probably the best way to interpret and understand where they're coming from these days and whats causing the division.

I wouldn't call Crosseyed Heart "classic Stones". It's typical post-80s Keith, but still evolving, a quite refreshing interpretation of soul. I am refering to the soul songs now, which make this album so good. The rest is okay, but not particularly interesting and, yes, slightly predictable "classic Stones"-y.

But since pure rock music hasn't produced anything remotely new or fresh or exciting since the late 70s, I don't see how the Stones, even if Mick and Keith were on the same wavelength, could change that. Fresh or exciting stuff in the past 40 years was either some mixture of electronic music and rap (one way or other), or underground avant-garde (and that's been some while ago). Neither of which the Stones really could possibly excel at.

Date: April 20, 2018 13:13

matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball

I wouldn't call Crosseyed Heart "classic Stones". It's typical post-80s Keith, but still evolving, a quite refreshing interpretation of soul. I am refering to the soul songs now, which make this album so good. The rest is okay, but not particularly interesting and, yes, slightly predictable "classic Stones"-y.

But since pure rock music hasn't produced anything remotely new or fresh or exciting since the late 70s, I don't see how the Stones, even if Mick and Keith were on the same wavelength, could change that. Fresh or exciting stuff in the past 40 years was either some mixture of electronic music and rap (one way or other), or underground avant-garde (and that's been some while ago). Neither of which the Stones really could possibly excel at.

I wouldn't necessarily classify Crosseyed Heart as "classic Stones" either as it's a Keith solo album start to finish, but it's definitely closer to the direction Keith would like to take the new album vs. the Getta Grip/England Lost direction that Mick came up with.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 20, 2018 18:45

Hairball
matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball

I wouldn't necessarily classify Crosseyed Heart as "classic Stones" either as it's a Keith solo album start to finish, but it's definitely closer to the direction Keith would like to take the new album vs. the Getta Grip/England Lost direction that Mick came up with.

I don't see the problem then.
Just mix the style and moods...an eclectic mix btter than same old same old.
Mick recognised and stated as such 40 years or so ago that rock music is a VERY limited art form. So progress, experiment.Mature even.
The Beatles music was a blend of two or even three very diverse styles. They took their fans with them. So can The Stones surely.
Nothing to lose. As Keith has said he doesn't expect Madonna type sales.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 20, 2018 18:55

Does Madonna really sell records any more? I don't think she's had a huge international blockbuster hit since VOGUE in 1989 or 1990? She debuts high on first week sales like the Stones but falls off charts quickly.

Date: April 20, 2018 20:38

Hairball

That's a very fair statement, I see it much the same way. And it would be a direction I would prefer as compared to GGAG - on merely personal grounds without any universal validity. It also seems a direction where Mick could follow, in the sense that it wouldn't result in a "style" that is totally alien to him.

Of course it would also be interesting to see/hear what an experimental-contemporary Stones album sounded like, irrespective of whether I would like it or not.

If they put out albums at Neil Young's rate, nobody would care if one of them is contemporary-experimental, another one traditional/classic Stones, and yet other ones are mixed bags. The problem is their slow pace.

Hairball
Indeed and I'm all for a varied album with not so typical Stones sounds (I did mention Miss You as likeable), but that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career - especially given the division between Mick and Keith and what direction they want the album to go.

That would probably give us something like B2B (which BTW I think was a good album). Back then, the compromise seems to have been that each of the two has the say on (roughly) one half of the album. Today that doesn’t seem to work any longer and both want to have the final word on the whole album. Which takes us back to the double CD solution winking smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 20, 2018 20:58

Bashlets
Does Madonna really sell records any more? I don't think she's had a huge international blockbuster hit since VOGUE in 1989 or 1990? She debuts high on first week sales like the Stones but falls off charts quickly.

It's a dated reference for sure - it's no longer the mid to late '80s when she was the newest, youngest, hottest commodity.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 20, 2018 21:13

Jah Paul
Bashlets

It's a dated reference for sure - it's no longer the mid to late '80s when she was the newest, youngest, hottest commodity.

It was taken from 2016. Madonna did release an album in 2015. I can see from a pop sensibilty Mick would want to go to the Madonna music lane. Right away Saint of Me sounds like Like a Prayer......thumbs down

Date: April 20, 2018 21:45

jlowe
Hairball
matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball

I don't see the problem then.
Just mix the style and moods...an eclectic mix btter than same old same old.
Mick recognised and stated as such 40 years or so ago that rock music is a VERY limited art form. So progress, experiment.Mature even.
The Beatles music was a blend of two or even three very diverse styles. They took their fans with them. So can The Stones surely.
Nothing to lose. As Keith has said he doesn't expect Madonna type sales.

Yes nice idea and would be something to cherish possibly, but again that's probably asking for a bit too much this late in their career.
Comparing the old Stones at an average of 75 years old to the young Beatles when they were in their twenties is a stretch of wishful thinking - not sure if the Stones can take the fans anywhere except to places they've already taken them before. You can't really reinvent the wheel, old habits die hard, and they're sort of stuck in their ways - the problem is Keith and Mick can't agree on which ways those are.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 20, 2018 22:10

Hairball
matxil
Hairball
jlowe
Hairball

My god, I sure hope that Keith will loose that battle. Crosseyed Heart isn't classic Stones, it's just sad. A bit better than his second solo, but not as good as his first, which I couldn't dream of listening to again. And not even Jagger's voice and other contributions would have helped much.

Date: April 20, 2018 22:40

"...not even Jagger's voice and other contributions would have helped"

In a roundabout and unintentional way, you're right about that. Anything Jagger would have contributed to Crosseyed Heart would probably not have helped at all - it would have tainted it. It would have been much lesser than the great solo Keith album that it is and as it was intended to be. On the other hand, Keith might have helped Getta Grip/England Lost by adding some signature riffage and background vocals (and maybe some help with the corny lyrics) - a shame he didn't find anything worthy about them to give them the much needed boost they sorely needed ...there was nothing really "experimental" about them unless you consider drums loops and poor production experimental.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 20, 2018 22:54

Hairball
"...not even Jagger's voice and other contributions would have helped"

In a roundabout and unintentional way, you're right about that. Anything Jagger would have contributed to Crosseyed Heart would probably not have helped at all - it would have tainted it. It would have been much lesser than the great solo Keith album that it is and as it was intended to be. On the other hand, Keith might have helped Getta Grip/England Lost by adding some signature riffage and background vocals (and maybe some help with the corny lyrics) - a shame he didn't find anything worthy about them to give them the much needed boost they sorely needed ...there was nothing really "experimental" about them unless you consider drums loops and poor production experimental.

thumbs up

Date: April 20, 2018 22:58

GetYerAngie
My god, I sure hope that Keith will loose that battle. Crosseyed Heart isn't classic Stones, it's just sad. A bit better than his second solo, but not as good as his first, which I couldn't dream of listening to again. And not even Jagger's voice and other contributions would have helped much.

If things carry on like they do at present, everbody's gonna lose the battle. Nobody's calling CH "classisc Stones" anyway. But I must admit that CH points in a direction the Stones could explore with dignity (and possibly likeable results). I see less of such an option with Mick's mock-modern dance(?) ditties (although I can understand that he wants to explore that route instead of doing another Stone-by-the-numbers album).

Best solution: two albums, and everybody wins.

edit: inserted qoute

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 22:59 by doitywoik.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 22, 2018 07:01

Rocky Dijon
Let it be known I give my proxy vote to Ian Billen in all things IORR. Thank you, Ian, for taking on the responsibility of giving voice to the uncounted heads with their wavering millions dedicated to the band. I believe we are in good hands.

I burn the fires and still till the earth around this place, man .. grinning smiley

Date: April 22, 2018 07:09

Hairball
IanBillen
doitywoik
IanBillen
I'm sure they have not heard everything ... just some select stuff.

You think what they heard was (what the STones thought was) the best stuff, or that the STones held the best stuff back?

Well ... If they heard anything .. I'm fairly sure it would be 'of the best stuff' .. and possibly anything tricky they might have their hand on just as well.

Nobody passes along music to their record company to hear samples .. that isn't the best or some songs of the premium material / top shelf stuff they got going .. Not even the Stones (anything otherwise wouldn't make any sense).

Which begs the question then...
If the execs have mixed feelings about the "best stuff" (mediocre, weak, etc), wonder what they would think about the weaker stuff that the band witheld? confused smiley

What weak stuff? >>No Im kidding.

We dont know what they have. I gotta say .. after all this time .. I would be fairly sure they HAVe to have a slew of new material .. not necessarily recorded .. I just mean written or worked on. Has to be a boat load. As you know though .. it's quality not quantity. Five real good songs is better than 15 fair ones. In the past they have had anywhere from 35-40 songs to choose from / work on.

My guess is they have many songs to play with and they are being widdled down in a different manor than previously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 07:10 by IanBillen.

Date: April 22, 2018 08:30

Not sure if you've heard the news yet Ian, but they're about to unleash a new recording from the vaults - San Jose 1999. Could this be is a temporary solution to fill the void of the supposed new album and cash in while the tour is happening? I have a feeling it is as there's no way they would release two albums within close proximity of each other, and it fits right into the timeline that a new album wont be released until late 2019 at the earliest, or when this thread hits page 500 - whichever comes first lol.

San Jose, 1999

Whatever the case, this release is more welcome than another Greatest Hits as was rumoured, but unfortunately it's nothing new that hasn't already been heard before (on boots).

Date: April 22, 2018 09:31

True. Another Greatest Hits compilation would be a bad joke, and a No Filter 2017 live album seems out the question too. As the issue came up again in another thread, it's a pity (not to say a shame) the 1972 live album is still unreleased. Also the Stevie Wonder part would be interesting. I just wonder if the tapes (multitrack or stereo master) are still around (and playable).

Date: April 22, 2018 10:36

Would it be out of line to say I would actually prefer the 1972 live album over a new album of originals? tongue sticking out smiley

Or a 50th anniversary deluxe set of Beggars Banquet over a new album of originals? I really do hope they acknowledge this historical album in some way! thumbs up

Or a compilation of Mick Taylor's greatest performances during his 50 and Counting Tour appearances with the band over a new album of originals? smiling smiley

Date: April 22, 2018 10:55

I'd like to have a new album of originals and the 1972 live album (including Stevie Wonder's part). grinning smiley

Beggar's Banquet - depends on the outtakes situation (of which I have no clue). If there are reasonable outtakes to go along, anytime! Also a really good mix would be welcome. What I don't know is how good the existing tape transfers are and if the original tapes are still in a condition for a potentially improved transfer. I'm afraid there might be a bit of hiss on the tapes (at least, the masters) and they would try to cover that up - and spoil all the rest in the process.

Date: April 23, 2018 05:05

Hairball
Not sure if you've heard the news yet Ian, but they're about to unleash a new recording from the vaults - San Jose 1999. Could this be is a temporary solution to fill the void of the supposed new album and cash in while the tour is happening? I have a feeling it is as there's no way they would release two albums within close proximity of each other, and it fits right into the timeline that a new album wont be released until late 2019 at the earliest, or when this thread hits page 500 - whichever comes first lol.

San Jose, 1999

Whatever the case, this release is more welcome than another Greatest Hits as was rumoured, but unfortunately it's nothing new that hasn't already been heard before (on boots).

Isn't really to 'cash-in' on ... It will hardly sell much at all. Is for collectors .. and fans more over.

This release has nothing to do with their studio albums release bc the two would never bein the same league ... and as well if they do release one later this year it will not be until late fall.

This 99 NS live concert doesn't help or hurt the release time frame. It is a special for collectors and some fans .. that's all. Doubt it will even sell 40,000 copies... let alone get in the way of a new studio release. Whether the release of a new studio album comes this year or not.. it would be unaffected by this sort of 'memento' release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 05:06 by IanBillen.

Date: April 23, 2018 05:23

Not sure about that Ian, because as the tour begins to roll, the only "new" product for curious/casual fans who want to purchase something "new" from the band will be this live release. Add in the real fans and the diehards who will buy it, and it might just be a big seller. That's what I meant by "cashing in"...and if that wasn't the case they would wait until the tour is over to start promoting this. Again, seems like something to fill the void of a supposed new album, and will give them more time to procrastinate. Stil curious if they're seriously thinking about another Greatest Hits compilation, but something tells me they'll wait for that until the return to the US later this year, again postponing/delaying a new album of originals...eye rolling smiley

Date: April 23, 2018 06:13

Hairball
Not sure about that Ian, because as the tour begins to roll, the only "new" product for curious/casual fans who want to purchase something "new" from the band will be this live release. Add in the real fans and the diehards who will buy it, and it might just be a big seller. That's what I meant by "cashing in"...and if that wasn't the case they would wait until the tour is over to start promoting this. Again, seems like something to fill the void of a supposed new album, and will give them more time to procrastinate. Stil curious if they're seriously thinking about another Greatest Hits compilation, but something tells me they'll wait for that until the return to the US later this year, again postponing/delaying a new album of originals...eye rolling smiley

I can't see it selling much at all. Their last few live albums didn't do anything. Can't see an album of one show suddenly selling well ... The public has got their fill with all the Stones live releases. Only the die hards would get it. How many live albums can they have... ? This one was a show in the late 90's. It won't do anything sales wise. In fact ...few would even know about it. They won't return to the US w/o an all new studio album. This will be the last tour before a new studio album is released. Mark ITB's words grinning smiley ha

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 06:13 by IanBillen.

Date: April 23, 2018 07:54

OK perhaps not a big seller as far as numbers sold, but imagine if they sell it at the merch stands during the upcoming tour overpriced at £30 alongside the overpriced £50 t-shirts - while they might not sell very many, they would make alot of extra money to have some extra "family time" when the tour is over. winking smiley Then when they're well rested, time to hit the road back to the US for the Fall of '18 or early '19. Meanwhile, any work they might have finished on supposed new album will stew and ferment for however long...eventually (hopefully) resulting in something tasty...like a fine wine or a perfectly aged piece of cheese... to be released in 2020 to wide acclaim.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 23, 2018 14:30

IanBillen
Hairball

I can't see it selling much at all. Their last few live albums didn't do anything. Can't see an album of one show suddenly selling well ... The public has got their fill with all the Stones live releases. Only the die hards would get it. How many live albums can they have... ? This one was a show in the late 90's. It won't do anything sales wise. In fact ...few would even know about it. They won't return to the US w/o an all new studio album. This will be the last tour before a new studio album is released. Mark ITB's words grinning smiley ha

Ian

To me a live dvd of a show of the No Security tour would seem a bit superfluous really. No Security wasn't a proper tour as there was already a live album out and it was more an extension of the Bridges tour I think. I thought the No Security cd was pretty good btw, the concept being a collection of the unusual songs that were played, as opposed to yet another 'proper' live album with yet more versions of the same songs which I think nobody needed at that time. But I got the impression that that concept didnt come across well with the critics and the fans.
Also, there is already the St. Louis show on dvd from the Bridges tour.
Now, the '72 live album would really be a treat (personally I would opt for an alternate version without Stevie Wonder, but hey). If they could release Brussels, then they can release this one also. Perhaps they don't want to give Mick Taylor too much attention? Or maybe the fact that it's audio only makes it commercially less viable as a stand alone release? Except as another overpriced deluxe collector's item set thingy or so.
Meanwhile, I do hope that we won't have to wait until 2020 for new songs!

Date: April 23, 2018 15:18

SomeGuy
(personally I would opt for an alternate version without Stevie Wonder, but hey)

I'd have no problem with a separate release of Stevie's gig grinning smiley My boots tell me Stevie was absolutely hot in the early 70s. Shouldn't go wasted.

I also have to say that I like No Security quite a lot. It quietly became the Stones live CD that I play the most often. From the 3rd or 4th track on it simply clicks, great flow! The arrangement of Flip The Switch I prefer to the studio version. No Security's got soul, somehow, in a way that is missing from Live Licks or Shime A Light. I never warmed to Love You Live but found Flashpoint quite OK when it came out. Haven't listened to it for a while, though. Might want to give it a spin one of these days. Never could connect to Got Live If You Want It! The screamy CD version from my youth is still ringing in my ears. Yayas I heard so often, no need to play it again, it's all hardwired in my brain ... grinning smiley

The 1999 live is certainly not one for the masses. But what is not a great seller for the Stones would still be a huge seller for many other acts.

Date: April 25, 2018 09:36

So, to judge from the other thread we're indeed going to get the greatest hits compilation, though in a arather unexpected way: 15 LPs in vinyl, and each song a greatest hit ... grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...161162163164165166167168169170171...LastNext
Current Page: 166 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home