Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...149150151152153154155156157158159...LastNext
Current Page: 154 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Date: March 31, 2018 22:59

fyp933
Cristiano Radtke
From Mick's Instagram stories, posted about two hours ago:

Mick looks bored

He's not bored he is looking for Keith to tell him what chords to play. Or maybe he is looking into the future and can't find anything. Or he could just be blue and lonesome or lonesome and blue.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 31, 2018 23:05

It is a pretty cool blonde on blonde on blonde billiard table. Ive never seen one like it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 31, 2018 23:33

While it's hard to ever put meaning in a snapshot with any certainty, to me it looks like Mick is concentrating while playing, rather than bored. He's certainly not likely waiting for Keith since Matt is in the studio with him.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 31, 2018 23:35

What about a picture of the two of them together, that would be nice...smoking smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 31, 2018 23:54

Whoever took the photo shoulda pressed ‘record’
Oh I don’t think he’s bored
thoughtful
thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 31, 2018 23:57

Maindefender
What about a picture of the two of them together, that would be nice...

Yes, it would. Neither of them have posted anything from the reported recent NYC sessions, where Keith said of Mick - "He'll be here in half an hour and we'll be sitting face to face, making music, like always."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-31 23:58 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 1, 2018 00:10

georgemcdonnell314
fyp933
Cristiano Radtke

Mick looks bored

He's not bored he is looking for Keith to tell him what chords to play. Or maybe he is looking into the future and can't find anything. Or he could just be blue and lonesome or lonesome and blue.
Looks like Bahamas winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2018 00:12

I dunno...he looks kind of mad or frustrated in the photo as if he can't find the right chord progression.
Or maybe he's having difficulty in coming up with something that will please Keith.
Or maybe he'd rather be outside enjoying the sunny weather on his island retreat.
Or maybe he's brushing up on more blues covers: "I'm blue and lonesome as a man can be..."

Date: April 1, 2018 03:15

Hairball
I dunno...he looks kind of mad or frustrated in the photo as if he can't find the right chord progression.
Or maybe he's having difficulty in coming up with something that will please Keith.
Or maybe he'd rather be outside enjoying the sunny weather on his island retreat.
Or maybe he's brushing up on more blues covers: "I'm blue and lonesome as a man can be..."

Or he’s working on his solo album you let the cat out of the bag about ;-)
BTW, I think you have no credible evidence of a Fall USA 2018 tour.
Do you?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 1, 2018 03:50

35love
Hairball

Do you?

The only reason he would be working on a solo record is if the next RS studio album is finished and there were not Stones plans in the immediate future.

1. New Stones record is more than likely not finished (but I think it is well more on it's way than 95% of the people think it is).

2. The Stones have an upcoming tour and then an album to put the finishing touches on and promote some time afterward ..

The next product studio wise for Mick Jagger is with The Rolling Stones. It isn't a greatest hits package .. it isn't a country covers album .. it isn't Blue & Lonesome part two... The next product is an all new studio album from The Stones .. however it is not to be any time real soon (late fall / very early winter).

Ian

Date: April 1, 2018 04:48

35love
Hairball

Do you?

Mick working on a solo album is a good possibility, but I think working on another solo single is more like it. He might be upset at the reception of Getta Grip (another possible reason he looks mad or frustrated in the photo), and wants to correct that by writing/recording some more under his own name. Not sure if any of his 40 demo's were deemed worthy by Keith, so maybe he's working on the rejects for a solo project. Although it's been said they did record some tracks together sometime in the last year, Charlie has no idea about the results "where is the new album"?, nor does anyone else. But then again, IanBillen seems to know all the answers (see above), even giving percentages and timelines.

As for a Fall USA tour, other than what mpj200 hinted at a while back "they've (management) been in touch with Madison Square Garden", along with some hints, clues, suggestions, and subliminal messages from bv, I'm going on my instincts and intuition...they'll be back! PS- I also read somewhere about the Stones @ L.A. Forum around New Years, but can't remember where I saw it - maybe it was just a dream. winking smiley

Date: April 1, 2018 05:42

tongue sticking out smiley he doesn’t look mad or frustrated to me! Dude’s chill.
Well Hairball let’s look for RS contests trip/ ticket wins for UK/Euro Spring Summer No Filter #2 (Jeep should do one)
meanwhile I’ve got 1 ticket to ride in June hot smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 1, 2018 07:15

Hairball
35love
Hairball

Do you?

Mick working on a solo album is a good possibility, but I think working on another solo single is more like it. He might be upset at the reception of Getta Grip (another possible reason he looks mad or frustrated in the photo), and wants to correct that by writing/recording some more under his own name. Not sure if any of his 40 demo's were deemed worthy by Keith, so maybe he's working on the rejects for a solo project. Although it's been said they did record some tracks together sometime in the last year, Charlie has no idea about the results "where is the new album"?, nor does anyone else. But then again, IanBillen seems to know all the answers (see above), even giving percentages and timelines.

As for a Fall USA tour, other than what mpj200 hinted at a while back "they've (management) been in touch with Madison Square Garden", along with some hints, clues, suggestions, and subliminal messages from bv, I'm going on my instincts and intuition...they'll be back! PS- I also read somewhere about the Stones @ L.A. Forum around New Years, but can't remember where I saw it - maybe it was just a dream. winking smiley

Ha!! Right now I have it 74% likely they will release an album this year (kidding). Look I am just going by the info they have personally provided us. Show me one news snippet or one statement from them indicating something from Mick Jagger solo to come. There aren't any.

I can show you many news stories with references and even headlines speaking about a probable RS album <this year>... as in '2018'. Some ..while pretty brief and very general are stories from major publications sayin this (are they just as misguided as me?) .. I can also show you interviews where they talk about a new album they are working on... but you've saw and read all those too. I'm simply saying that I'm not dreaming this..

Not sure why everyone is hell bent on thinking everything they do studio wise is surely not for a Rolling Stones album .. and / or their belief that it isn't going to happen or not for another year or two? .. (Im just going by the news and their interviews.. What's wrong with that?).

Date: April 1, 2018 07:29

I'm still sticking with December release of new studio album until proven otherwise.

Date: April 1, 2018 07:31

How’s this IanBillen,
(total guess)
I think they are working on group compositions!
Isn’t this the way it’s done now a days?
Here’s my tracks/ file/ what I’ve done,
can you add/ maybe Ronnie went to Nashville for recordings from Mr. White’s analog studio where Mick was a few years back/ we’ve seen Keith working pianos, guitars in recording type atmospheres (albeit alone)
so, what,
it’s mashed all together (produced?)
Violia!
There’s your new RS album.
Cooked brewed and stewed.
No timeline/ dated officially completed in my theme above.

Date: April 1, 2018 07:35

Ian Billen
Im just going by the news and their interviews.. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it Ian, we're all just speculating here on the little tidbits of info. we know and trying to come up with answers, but even the inside sources that have given hints in the past in this very thread have no absolute answers at this point in time.

Ian Billen
Show me one news snippet or one statement from them indicating something from Mick Jagger solo to come. There aren't any.

If memory serves, there weren't any statements or indications prior to Getta Grip/England Lost that Mick was working on and releasing solo material - it came out of left field and caught everyone by surprise. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think something along those lines could happen again - especially when all pics of Mick working in a studio he happens is of him alone. And coincidentally he is working with Matt Clifford again - his collaborator on Getta Grip/England Lost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-01 07:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 1, 2018 07:36

Leonioid
It is a pretty cool blonde on blonde on blonde billiard table. Ive never seen one like it.

Maybe that's Keith's pool table after Mick was in a bad mood? eye popping smiley

fyp933
Mick looks bored

No, that's his way of looking passionate! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-01 07:41 by doitywoik.

Date: April 1, 2018 16:54

35Love, you described how the EXILE outtakes, SOME GIRLS outtakes, and tracks for BOOGIE FOR STU were put together.

For what it's worth, the expectation is (as they did last year), they will be spending time together in the studio just before tour rehearsals. They're working on something at present. Whether separate projects or learning parts for the upcoming session remain to be seen. There will certainly be some product released this year. All quiet on the Universal/Polydor/Interscope/ABKCO/Eagle Records/Ward Records front. Until something else is confirmed as filling that slot, I'm still hoping we have the new album by December.

Do they move slower these days? Sure. Many people their age use walkers. They're still making progress.

Date: April 1, 2018 17:11

<He might be upset at the reception of Getta Grip (another possible reason he looks mad or frustrated in the photo)>

He he, are you serious? grinning smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 1, 2018 17:40

IanBillen
Show me one news snippet or one statement from them indicating something from Mick Jagger solo to come. There aren't any.

There was nothing about "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost" either. Mick just put them out:

"I started writing these two songs a few weeks back and wanted to get them out to you straight away."

[twitter.com]

Date: April 1, 2018 17:58

mtaylor
georgemcdonnell314
fyp933
Cristiano Radtke

Mick looks bored

Looks like Bahamas winking smiley

First thing that popped in my mind was an airport waiting lounge LOL. maybe he's just waiting on a plane, and decided to plug in the old Boss Delay pedals, and set up some guitars and mikes. And Matt's getting his seat squared away.
Seriously though - what a dreadful writing atmosphere. "My cARds are on the taBLE...On the table.."

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 1, 2018 18:07

We see Mick in a lot of different places, and sometimes in a studio context (doing whatever), we see Keith in a lot of different places, and sometimes in a studio context (contributing guitar parts to other people's albums), we see Ronnie in a lot of different places, and sometimes in a studio context (jammin' with ideas), and supposedly Charlie is also somewhere (wondering what happened to the new album), and a new tour will start 6 weeks from now that will last well into July.
What I don't see is one (not to speak of two) month(s) of time in the studio to work on whatever songs or song fragments or ideas for songs are there anytime soon. When the tour is over they will certainly take some time off, be it on an island or in a horse shed.
The earliest time available for proper studio work I see is autumn (unless there are further commitments that escaped me). If it's really just about finishing touches, like, a day of final overdubs, and some more mixing, a release in time for Xmas is possible (or at least, logistically not totally impossible). But if they really have half an album at best I don't see a new album still this year - unless they experience a sudden strike of inspiration, accompanied by a seizure of cordiality. But in my judgement, these are no longer the days when they would do an album (or even half an album) of original songs within a couple of days.
In additions, there seem to be first rumours of another American tour. In that case, it's 2019 if we're lucky.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 1, 2018 19:02

It should not surprise us if the new album is released sometime in 2019, on the back of a new US tour and with a TICKET BUNDLE deal.

A new album this year is not so sure anymore, people at Universal is looking at 2019 too.

About the new material, they have many backing tracks and half done stuff, but not all the songs are that great, too much uneven stuff and average songs, that's the rumour among the staff on Universal, the band has to agree on the final direction of the new album.

One thing is sure, it will be a FULL new album, not covers this time, Mick and Keith agree on this, but with no deadline in sight and many time off between sessions, it will take time to take off.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 1, 2018 19:17

georgelicks
It should not surprise us if the new album is released sometime in 2019, on the back of a new US tour and with a TICKET BUNDLE deal.

A new album this year is not so sure anymore, people at Universal is looking at 2019 too.

About the new material, they have many backing tracks and half done stuff, but not all the songs are that great, too much uneven stuff and average songs, that's the rumour among the staff on Universal, the band has to agree on the final direction of the new album.

One thing is sure, it will be a FULL new album, not covers this time, Mick and Keith agree on this, but with no deadline in sight and many time off between sessions, it will take time to take off.

sad smiley

Date: April 1, 2018 19:56

DandelionPowderman
<He might be upset at the reception of Getta Grip (another possible reason he looks mad or frustrated in the photo)>

He he, are you serious? grinning smiley

Lol no... just having some fun with 'caption this photo'. winking smiley

georgelicks

Thanks for the input georgelicks - there's lots to digest here: the good, the bad, and the ugly...warts and all...

Back to the photo: Another possibility is Mick's in deep meditation trying to recapture some of the magic of the past...maybe he's playing Sway or Brown Sugar?
But again, being that he's with Matt Clifford, not sure what he could possibly be working on except for new solo material ala Getta Grip/England Lost.
Has Matt ever had any writing credits with the Stones even unofficially? I don't think so, but maybe he and Mick jam/practice together to help Mick's ideas come to life as demo's for possible Stones tunes?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:08

Has Matt ever had any writing credits with the Stones even unofficially? I don't think so, 

"Unofficial" credits:
Pre-production for Don't Stop, Keys To Your Love, Stealing My Heart, Rain Fall Down, Streets Of Love and Doom And Gloom.

We all know that these songs are Jagger/Clifford stuff.

Date: April 1, 2018 20:14

"[T]oo much uneven stuff and average songs" has been the consensus for years. A BIGGER BANG is the first time I felt it, but others say it about VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON, two albums I love. For me, the problem with accepting the consensus that the new material is lacking is because even when critics or fans agree an effort has too much filler, they rarely agree on which tracks are weak and which are strong. It all becomes subjective.

Leonioid has been pushing back for awhile at criticism leveled against performances or recordings of latter-day Stones. My son recently shared an Honest Trailers video about the last Star Wars movie with me. While I didn't find it particularly amusing, there was one line in it that I thought spoke of fandom anywhere and that is that fans generally fall into the trap of imagining what the new film/album/book will be like and the result never matches what they imagined it should be like. If we write the new album in our heads, it will never be what most of us think it should be.

An example of this is "Rough Justice." I heard it on the radio before the album came out or the tour started. I thought Ronnie's part sounded like his slide part for "You Really Got Me." I hated the production, didn't think much of Keith's riff, and found Mick's lyrics cringe-worthy. That opinion never changed. It bored me live and I generally skipped it when playing the album (which I thought didn't come to life until "Rain Fall Down"). That whole album has always been trouble for me. There's a handful of really strong tracks, but mostly it didn't do anything for me. Most fans agree about the production, some agree there are too many weak songs, but most who say that like songs I don't.

Leonioid first heard "Rough Justice" while listening outside the rehearsals. He loved the song instantly. It was fresh, but familiar. It was vintage Stones for him. It will always be that. I read his account and thought I knew the feeling, but envied him for having that experience and letting the song be that. How much of our perception is down to circumstances? I can't answer that question, but I know I'd rather feel like Leonioid than the view I've held for nearly 13 years now.

I don't want to be a cheerleader saying everything is perfect because they're my favorite band, but I used to be able to rediscover songs and change my opinions. Once I was married and settled down with a family for a few years, music lost something for me. It wasn't as good as it had been. The other side is that I could no longer live life with the same passion for others' art. Work and family and health made the things I loved secondary concerns at best. It's an interesting question to put to yourself when examining why an artist you loved has seemingly lost their way.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:20

If Mick looks bored or mad or frustrated, etc., he's thinking as the photo is snapped, "Oh, sod it! Those bloody IORR obsessives are gonna be taking a whole day or two of their lives guessing what I'm thinking!"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:21

georgelicks

Ah, I see.

Then maybe the title for the new album should be No Filler.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:33

The photo of Mick is a screenshot I guess. It was posted at his Instagram history and it was a short videoclip of him playing guitar (without sound).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...149150151152153154155156157158159...LastNext
Current Page: 154 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home