Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...141142143144145146147148149150151...LastNext
Current Page: 146 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2018 06:47

My own issue with being a Stones fan is, as great as The Big 4 and The Other 2 are, I've always tended to listen to the 'other' LPs more, up through 1983. Partially because BB-EOMS are such established great works of recording/art/music. I find a lot of greatness in GHS (possibly the greatest letdown/ease out of an era in music ever), a lot of enjoyment from IORR, I love the oddness of BAB, as weird as EM is I love it and U is simply awesome and a fantastic creative piece of work utilizing the studio to it's capacity and... the last creative album by the Stones.

Post-1983, eh, there are moments.

With exception to BAL aka B&L, I find it impossible to listen to an LP all the way through.

Considering their body of work, that's not so bad, the have so many fantastic albums prior to, in my case, 1986. But let's use TATTOO YOU as the precipice: there has not been a great Stones album done since then... until BLUE AND LONESOME.

Perhaps that is also an issue within the Stones (Keith and Mick).

Let's hope so. Until then, A BIGGER BANG is their last album that only went out with a brickwalling bang.... and BLUE AND LONESOME is possibly the greatest career closer they could have. And... regardless of them releasing another album, B&L may remain their last best LP release.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 4, 2018 07:23

GasLightStreet
Mick has written some mature lyrics... or lyrics that seem mature. Mainly with the ballads: Almost Hear You Sigh, Out Of Tears, Biggest Mistake. Laugh... I Nearly Died is probably the best thing he's written since Waiting On A Friend.

Alfie Soundtrack.
Song ‘Old Habits Die Hard’
Mick Jagger is a skilled, creative, premium lyricist.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 4, 2018 09:28

IanBillen
Hairball
Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it.
And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.
But maybe you should take it from Keith himself - one of the two head captains who steer the ship. When discussing the progress of the new album just a few days ago prior to his meeting with Mick, Keith said:

"Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that"?!

And again from georgelicks

"They (Mick and Keith) will be on NY during the next few days hearing some songs recorded on previous sessions and doing some more work but
the full band won't be back again on the studio after the tour is over. That's it for the new album out this year, 2019 is the new date".

To form an opinion based on what Charlie said who admittedly has no clue of what happened with the sessions vs. what Keith is saying a few days ago seems a bit out of touch with reality.

IanBillen
"Some time after July they will mix it and release it in late fall I believe ... September the earliest"

Doesn't fit into the timeline, but if you wish hard enough maybe it will happen?

In the meantime, prepare for the compilation Universal is discussing, and with any luck maybe they'll include a new tune (maybe an outake/leftover cover from the Blue and Lonesome sessions).

Charlie asked 'where is the new album?' ..'I wonder too?' based on the many sessions they did .. Not because they didn't have enough or was not sure if the material was up to snuff.

He answered that he would like to know as well and he went on to base that on the many sessions they had (meaning they certainly recorded plenty enough to have an album). He stressed the various sessions they had recording the new stuff.

September does not fit into the timeline for a new album but a single from it. Album could come October / November. Keith said Christmas .. as a joke meaning that is how he's looking at it .. as in the album it isnt coming any time soon so dont hold your breath on that.

I think you're right Ian thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:04

The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.
13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 4, 2018 10:11

GasLightStreet
Mick has written some mature lyrics... or lyrics that seem mature. Mainly with the ballads: Almost Hear You Sigh, Out Of Tears, Biggest Mistake. Laugh... I Nearly Died is probably the best thing he's written since Waiting On A Friend.

That's a Keith song, left over from the Talk Is Cheap sessions.

Demo, with Keith vocals: [www.youtube.com]

Probably Mick added some words, but who knows?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 4, 2018 10:13

Let's not fool ourselves, whatever the new album will be like, it won't be another BS or EOMS. These albums could only be made at a certain point in time in a certain atmosphere by people shaped by that time and atmoshere. This isn't 71/72 any longer. You wouldn't expect Bob to deliver another Blowing In The Wind, would ya? They certainly will not deliver total crap either. There will be 2 or 3 good, maybe even great songs, a couple of OK ones, a couple of fillers, and a couple of real bummers. They just will be different ones for everybody. If we're unlucky, there will be another reggae that the world wasn't exactly waiting for and Keith's solo numbers will very much sound like tunes we already know under different names. But maybe we're lucky, time will tell. Of course some of it will be Stones by numbers but so what, they are the Stones, after all. At any rate, the longer the wait, the more people's expectations will go through the ceiling.

I'm not so much concerned about the quality of the lyrics. Some will be better than others, and Mick has his manierisms like all other lyricists have theirs. We all know that. Overall he did a good job so far, why should this be different now?

As for me, I'd suggest we stay realistic and have some more fun in the meanwhile.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2018 10:18

The key sentence from georgelicks's December 21, 2017 quote:

"but not all the songs are that great according to some people,
some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far".

Fast forward to a few days ago, and georgelicks puts it back in perspective:

"They (Mick and Keith) will be on NY during the next few days hearing some songs recorded on previous sessions and doing some more work but
the full band won't be back again on the studio after the tour is over. That's it for the new album out this year, 2019 is the new date".

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 4, 2018 10:51

KRiffhard
IanBillen
Hairball
Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it.
And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.
But maybe you should take it from Keith himself - one of the two head captains who steer the ship. When discussing the progress of the new album just a few days ago prior to his meeting with Mick, Keith said:

"Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that"?!

And again from georgelicks

To form an opinion based on what Charlie said who admittedly has no clue of what happened with the sessions vs. what Keith is saying a few days ago seems a bit out of touch with reality.

IanBillen
"Some time after July they will mix it and release it in late fall I believe ... September the earliest"

Doesn't fit into the timeline, but if you wish hard enough maybe it will happen?

In the meantime, prepare for the compilation Universal is discussing, and with any luck maybe they'll include a new tune (maybe an outake/leftover cover from the Blue and Lonesome sessions).

Charlie asked 'where is the new album?' ..'I wonder too?' based on the many sessions they did .. Not because they didn't have enough or was not sure if the material was up to snuff.

He answered that he would like to know as well and he went on to base that on the many sessions they had (meaning they certainly recorded plenty enough to have an album). He stressed the various sessions they had recording the new stuff.

September does not fit into the timeline for a new album but a single from it. Album could come October / November. Keith said Christmas .. as a joke meaning that is how he's looking at it .. as in the album it isnt coming any time soon so dont hold your breath on that.

I think you're right Ian thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:04

The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.
13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time"

Yes and .. >>pleeeeease<<.. keep us posted with any updates or further discussions if or when ya get wind of em. We will be here as ya know winking smiley

Rock on, mate- ! (& thanks for keepin us posted with what ya know) and all those stats .. ya sometimes can pull up .. I mean dayyyyum (<< I'm impressed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-04 10:52 by IanBillen.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: March 4, 2018 15:36

After catching up on the stones recent interviews concerning the tour/album.
And following this thread for what like seems an eternity,
I've come to the conclusion that this new studio album is an enigma.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2018 15:53

Terry makes a cryptic reference to Mick's film, ENIGMA, or did he? Or did she? Terry is also enigmatic.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2018 16:07

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

Keith said that this and one other song "were embryonic at the time". Mick added most of the words. They had a bit of an argument about a change Mick made to something Keith had written, which is not in that live studio recording from what I could hear.

Date: March 4, 2018 16:52

Rocky Dijon
Terry makes a cryptic reference to Mick's film, ENIGMA, or did he? Or did she? Terry is also enigmatic.

Yep rocky Dijon enigmatic is how my ex wife would describe me lol.
The enigma reference from micks film I thought was appropriate to
Describe the progress of the new album.
If I want any info on the stones then I always come to iorr,
as you lovely folk keep me well informed.
Mabey when I travel around the uk in may/June this year catching the stones,
Then it be great to bump into some of you.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2018 17:29

GasLightStreet
Keith said that this and one other song "were embryonic at the time". Mick added most of the words. They had a bit of an argument about a change Mick made to something Keith had written, which is not in that live studio recording from what I could hear.

Allegedly it was the line "I feel your lips on mine" becoming the more Jagger-like "I feel your tongue on mine." Interesting to note that song and "Blinded by Love" list Chris Jagger as "literary editor."

I asked Chris about that once since one of his bios listed him as co-writing those two songs and a song for DIRTY WORK. I asked him if the other song was "Hold Back" guessing his brother asked him to cite historical references as on "Blinded by Love." Had he responded in the affirmative, I would have asked him about the dreadful Davy Crockett reference in "Mean Disposition." However, as tends to happen with my brief interactions with people in their orbit, I always ask one question too far and the really interesting information they were willing to share suddenly turns to a wall of silence. It isn't easy being an obsessive fan. Our trials and tribulations are legion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-04 17:39 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: March 4, 2018 20:31

georgelicks
February 26, 2018 11:27AM

The new album is not a priority for them and it won't be either, it will be done, eventually, but no one is holding their breath, not the record company and not the band itself.

Wondering if this latest meeting between Mick and Keith has changed any of the above circumstances?
We know they've cobbled together enough "tunes" over the last two+ years, but we also know that some of those aren't great, there's some uneven stuff, and they're not convinced about it.
Hopefully now they've been able to settle some issues between them and focus on the task at hand, and maybe that will encourage the record company to get back on board (vs. talking about another compilation).
And maybe someone will fill in good old Charlie as to where the album is - that while they did record enough material, not all of it is deemed worthy, and that's why there's no new album yet!
Charlie should know some of this before giving interviews, but in reality he probably doesn't really care that much about it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 5, 2018 01:28

In case the rumoured compilation will be released this year...

...it should be done more carefully...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 5, 2018 02:06

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

Allegedly it was the line "I feel your lips on mine" becoming the more Jagger-like "I feel your tongue on mine." Interesting to note that song and "Blinded by Love" list Chris Jagger as "literary editor."

I asked Chris about that once since one of his bios listed him as co-writing those two songs and a song for DIRTY WORK. I asked him if the other song was "Hold Back" guessing his brother asked him to cite historical references as on "Blinded by Love." Had he responded in the affirmative, I would have asked him about the dreadful Davy Crockett reference in "Mean Disposition." However, as tends to happen with my brief interactions with people in their orbit, I always ask one question too far and the really interesting information they were willing to share suddenly turns to a wall of silence. It isn't easy being an obsessive fan. Our trials and tribulations are legion.

Gold! cool smiley

Date: March 5, 2018 02:09

terry

I don't think there's much of an enigma. Some two and a half or so years ago they recorded a bunch of songs and the Powers That Be found that some more work should be done on them. And that's the story so far.

Which pretty much sums up the relevant infoemation contained in the presently 146 pages of this thread spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 5, 2018 03:38

doitywoik
terry

I don't think there's much of an enigma. Some two and a half or so years ago they recorded a bunch of songs and the Powers That Be found that some more work should be done on them. And that's the story so far.

Which pretty much sums up the relevant infoemation contained in the presently 146 pages of this thread spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Powers That Be....I'm assuming that would be Keith and his henchmen?

Keith: Alright boys, wipe those 40 demo tapes clean and lets Rock and Roll!!
Henchmen: Whatever you say boss, do you want us to rough him up a bit?
Keith: Rough Justice...argh...do it boys.
Mick: C'mon Keef - please Getta Grip!!!

Date: March 5, 2018 04:46

grinning smiley Keef, the prolific songwiper ... and England's lost spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'd also include Mick in the PTB. Yet the additional work needed would be different for everyone involved.

That's how the dialogue might continue:

Keith: No lad, we're in for Substantial Damage! (throaty laughter)
Mick: Oh no, no you again, f*cking up my life!
Keith: You don't move me anymore!
Hunchmen: Did you ever see Texas Chain Saw Massacre? Horrible, wasn't it ... (big grins)
Mick: Ohmegawd, England's lost and I'm 2000 light years from home! [whimpers]

[Camera fade-out, titles, background music: Down In The Hole.
A moment of black screen. Then Mick and Keith are seen going down to the studio and writing the best song since _____________ (fill in blank)]
winking smiley

Date: March 5, 2018 05:07

Since....Doom and Gloom? smiling smiley

"Did you ever see Texas Chain Saw Massacre? Horrible, wasn't it ... (big grins)"

grinning smiley

Date: March 5, 2018 05:27

Another song of the "quality" of D&G and I'd be happy ... I simply like the song (but I'm repeating myself)! What a shame to waste it on a cheesy compilation like Grrrrrrrrrr (but I'm repeating myself again)! I even contructed my own version in WaveLab from the single and the LP version ...

Date: March 5, 2018 13:21

I'm still hopeful the stones will release a single to coincide with the upcoming tour.
Mabey that's why mick n Keith recently spent time in the studio, to see if they
Can clean up a couple of tracks from the stuff they have recorded.
Or is it just my imagination running away with me.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 5, 2018 14:11

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

Cool link. Thanks for posting!

Date: March 5, 2018 14:18

matxil
stonehearted
GasLightStreet

Cool link. Thanks for posting!

A more worked out version:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 5, 2018 14:57

Interesting that they dropped the “Stand up, be counted with me” section, leaving the song without a proper chorus. It was clearly the right choice, but I imagine it took some work, arrangement-wise, to make sure the song didn’t get too draggy.

When I first read Keith saying he increasingly preferred to avoid strict verse-chorus-verse formula, I was like, Wuh? But songs like this and “Can’t Be Seen” are the proof.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:35

Hairball
georgelicks
February 26, 2018 11:27AM

The new album is not a priority for them and it won't be either, it will be done, eventually, but no one is holding their breath, not the record company and not the band itself.

Wondering if this latest meeting between Mick and Keith has changed any of the above circumstances?
We know they've cobbled together enough "tunes" over the last two+ years, but we also know that some of those aren't great, there's some uneven stuff, and they're not convinced about it.
Hopefully now they've been able to settle some issues between them and focus on the task at hand, and maybe that will encourage the record company to get back on board (vs. talking about another compilation).
And maybe someone will fill in good old Charlie as to where the album is - that while they did record enough material, not all of it is deemed worthy, and that's why there's no new album yet!
Charlie should know some of this before giving interviews, but in reality he probably doesn't really care that much about it.

Charlie knows a 'little' more than he is letting on. Hence when asked how the new songs sounded he was vague and didn't want to say. Charlie later mentioned 'they' ...that being Mick & Keith and 'if they are happy with them'. I think reading between the lines Mick & Keith are not yet 100% happy with the material or that it isnt 100% so they CONTINUE TO WORK ON THOSE THAT NEED SHAPING.

At least thats what Im thinking. I know one thing.. he knows more (maybe not everything ..but def more some inside scoop) than hes letting on about it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:44

A thought that occurred to me just now:

When the album eventually comes out, I wonder if it will be listened to for as long and as often as it's been discussed here.

Date: March 5, 2018 19:49

IanBillen
Charlie knows a 'little' more than he is letting on.

He may or may not Ian, but again he probably doesn't really care that much.
He's looking forward to the tour, and in the meantime he's doing as little press as possible, but mostly spending quiet time with family and his horses.

And as a reminder to show how much (or little) Charlie knows or cares, here's how much he was in the loop with the Emotional Rescue sessions:

(courtesy of GasLightStreet):

Charlie: The classic one on this album is the one Keith's done. I mean, I didn't know what... right up until about 2 months before the album... has now come out.
Mick: Which one are you talking about, Charlie?
Charlie: I mean, I didn't know...
Mick: Which song... ?
Bill: All About You.
Mick: Oh, All About You.
Bill: The "train song".
Mick: Yeah.
Charlie: Yeah.
Ron: Train Song, that's what we knew it as.
Charlie: Yeah, Keith's, yeah... Oh nobody knows...
Bill: It's just a track called Train Song.
Charlie: And I never knew what Keith was going to (put) on it, I never knew what he wanted... But it was a great track to play. That's being a drummer, you know?
Ron: He ended up singing that too, which is quite pleasing.
Charlie: Yeah, it's great. But I mean...
Mick: It's not me singing it (laughs).
Charlie: How he made a song out of it, I don't know.

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: March 5, 2018 20:03

stonehearted
A thought that occurred to me just now:

When the album eventually comes out, I wonder if it will be listened to for as long and as often as it's been discussed here.

The Crosseyed Heart thread had a good run as did the Blue and Lonesome thread, so I'm pretty sure there will be plenty to dissect.
Whether it will be listened to as long and as often as this thread depends on alot of variables - mainly the quality of it.
But first things first - they have to finish the damn thing! Thinking mid-late 2019 which after 13 years is not that far away! thumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 5, 2018 22:13

If it's half as good as cross eyed I'll be happy. Love that album

Date: March 5, 2018 22:18

Hairball
Whether it will be listened to as long and as often as this thread depends on alot of variables - mainly the quality of it.

OK, so if the future New Album thread will turn out to be a short thread we know it's a good album -- not much to complain about ... grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...141142143144145146147148149150151...LastNext
Current Page: 146 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home