Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 13, 2018 06:56

Rocky Dijon
I get what you mean in a very roundabout way. I never thought he could mean playback. Still don't, but who knows. While I'm not thrilled, at least it's progress of some sort.

Right I know you never thought the statement meant or referred to 'playing' as that..

*But Mr. Dandelion asked 'why not'? (why couldn't it) .. So I was explaining what I 'think' Mr. Dandelion was referring to .. ..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2018 07:21

IanBillen
Rocky Dijon
I get what you mean in a very roundabout way. I never thought he could mean playback. Still don't, but who knows. While I'm not thrilled, at least it's progress of some sort.

Right I know you never thought the statement meant or referred to 'playing' as that..

*But Mr. Dandelion asked 'why not'? (why couldn't it) .. So I was explaining what I 'think' Mr. Dandelion was referring to .. ..

Now we're speculating about what "Mr. Dandelion" was referring to...nice. winking smiley

I think Dandelion was referring to the actual playing of new blues bits played on guitar by Carl Falk, and the possibly that they could be added on to some new remixes.
But the question would be, remixes of what?

As for me, I also think the quote from Carl is referring to actual guitar playing, but for what? Mick solo? A Stones tune?
Why would the Stones need or even want Carl to add any of his guitar playing to anything?! Which leads me to believe it's for some new Mick solo material.

"I've never played more blues chords in my life." - Carl

That's great...but now the questions to Carl are for who, and for what reason!

Date: February 13, 2018 08:01

Hairball
IanBillen
Rocky Dijon

Now we're speculating about what "Mr. Dandelion" was referring to...nice. winking smiley

I think Dandelion was referring to the actual playing of new blues bits played on guitar by Carl Falk, and the possibly that they could be added on to some new remixes.
But the question would be, remixes of what?

As for me, I also think the quote from Carl is referring to actual guitar playing, but for what? Mick solo? A Stones tune?
Why would the Stones need or even want Carl to add any of his guitar playing to anything?! Which leads me to believe it's for some new Mick solo material.

"I've never played more blues chords in my life." - Carl

That's great...but now the questions to Carl are for who, and for what reason!

I'd think he meant playing an instrument (guitar) as well ... that would make the most sense and seem the most likely way of putting it.

Perhaps Faulk is adding some production value to a song or two? Not a remix but producing a bit of something?

This next Rolling Stones album is a real mystery. Nobody knows what the material is like.. how much of it is done .. and the whole scope of who all is working on it and when.

I suppose that is better than knowing all about .. (which would sort of spoil the fun before it comes out).

They have been very private on this affair.

Sure we know they have worked on it... and a slight few tid-bits but nothing more.

Hell .. we don't even know when its coming .. We are all simply guessing. There has been no official word on this thing in .. well not much ever (except for the fact that they began embryonic stages of new material back in 2015 (December .. when they did B&L in those same sessions). That is the only truly 'official' statement ever made from their reps about said new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 08:02 by IanBillen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2018 10:11

Doxa
Yeah, there is a certain kind of reference in "jazz chords" (if anything else, being damn odd ones for technically an theoretically limited non-jazz players a'la me...grinning smiley) but "blues chords" by nature most likely would mean anything played by a typical I-IV-V pattern.

That's a progression, 1-4-5, A D E or E A B. Crosseyed Heart is 1-5-4 and full of 7ths and whatever else the numbers for the various licks would be (I don't have the diagram in front of me for particular fingerings, which, ha ha, includes jazz chords ie very difficult to just wing chords!).

Blues chords... well, 7ths, I suppose, fall into that kind of label, but I can't think of any actual CHORD that's ever played. There are a few licks that one might consider blues licks. Keith uses them at the end of some songs (1981), Fancy Man Blues, the excellent live version of Black Limo.

Date: February 13, 2018 10:14

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Rocky Dijon
If it was a remix, it wouldn't be "first day in the studio playing blues riffs."

I believe he said "I've never played more blues chords in my life.", though maybe he also said "riffs"?

Sorry, don't mean to be a nuisance Rocky lol, but this thread has caused me to be a stickler for details - every trivial minutiae matters! winking smiley

So... seeing that every trivial minutiae matters, can you explain what a blues chord is?

You would have to ask this Carl Falk character exactly what he means by it.
If you ask me, there's no absolute answer as pretty much any chord could be used when playing the blues imo.
When I was a little kid though, my older brother taught me the E, A, and B7 chords and shooed me away saying that's all I need to know for a good foundation ha.

That said, there's a definite difference between a riff and a chord.

I was hoping you'd get the sarcasm. I thought about it later and considered changing it to make it obvious. I've never heard of a blues chord, just licks, really, and I suppose that links up with a riff as well.

But a chord? That's a stretch. Maybe. Hell, maybe there are some blues out there with chords. There's just so much about blues that isn't chordal.

Date: February 13, 2018 12:41

Rocky Dijon
Could be my ignorance only, but I took it to mean it was the first day in the studio recording and that they were playing blues licks rather than just remixing an existing track to make it more club-friendly or radio-friendly.

And yes, I've gone from chords to riffs to licks. That should excite or frustrate accordingly.

Could very well be, but that could also mean first day at adding overdubs, to revamp a song.

Date: February 13, 2018 12:45

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Rocky Dijon
If it was a remix, it wouldn't be "first day in the studio playing blues riffs."

I believe he said "I've never played more blues chords in my life.", though maybe he also said "riffs"?

Sorry, don't mean to be a nuisance Rocky lol, but this thread has caused me to be a stickler for details - every trivial minutiae matters! winking smiley

So... seeing that every trivial minutiae matters, can you explain what a blues chord is?

If you ask me, there's no absolute answer as pretty much any chord could be used when playing the blues imo.
When I was a little kid though, my older brother taught me the E, A, and B7 chords and shooed me away saying that's all I need to know for a good foundation ha.

I was hoping you'd get the sarcasm. I thought about it later and considered changing it to make it obvious. I've never heard of a blues chord, just licks, really, and I suppose that links up with a riff as well.

But a chord? That's a stretch. Maybe. Hell, maybe there are some blues out there with chords. There's just so much about blues that isn't chordal.

One other aspect: Falk is swedish, and might not speak english fluently. Hence "chords", instead of licks.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 13, 2018 12:57

....they don't need a new album in urgency...Blue and lonesome is only one year and a half old and still selling well....!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 13, 2018 14:01

If we have a uk tour announcement coming up very soon,
Why would mick be messing around in the studio with solo stuff.
That don't make sense to me,if that's what his doing.
I so want a new stones album.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 13, 2018 14:26

There's this "Stay tuned The Rolling Stones are cooking something up" video on fb..

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 13, 2018 14:53

maumau
There's this "Stay tuned The Rolling Stones are cooking something up" video on fb..

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:20

In an exceptional history of analysing minutiae to a ridiculous level, I think we've reached a new high or low and finally jumped the proverbial brickwall.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:37

maumau

I hope the turntable indicates new music on the horizon.........(at least 2018...haha)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:42

Apart from the supposedly ambiguous experession of "chord", there is also the other strange word "playing"... since I know next to nothing about Carl Falk, I googled and what the ever-trusty Wiki says is:

His favourite instrument is the guitar as he tries to "always have guitar on my songs, almost like a trademark".[1] Carl can also play multiple other instruments like bass, piano, violin and drums, which he started to learn from an early age on during his childhood.[2] In 2013 Falk won the STIM Platinum guitar prize.

This might indicate that he is there actually playing an instrument, being involved in the actual creation of the track (over-dub or somehing), not just sitting beside the desk and 're-mixing' some already cut track, etc. So I guess as a guitar player he might know the difference between 'chord' and 'riff' or 'lick', and what goes for the supposed language-barrier, I guess for for a professional musician in 2018, and making a living in an international music industry, he might know the meaning of these words, being SWedish or not... But that said, I think he still might use the word "chord" rather loosely, in a descriptive fashion - it could mean 'riff' or 'lick' in a more specified vocabulary. (But like I said above, I'll take his word rather literally, and my quess is some versions of Richadsian signature Open G chords, kinda stuff, for example, Jagger plays and writes by constitution - that is: he plays something that is pure Rolling Stones... Is that just my wishful thinking, I don't know..grinning smiley).

Anyway, if that Wiki account is right, the guy supposedly has a some sort of trademark guitar thing of his own (whatever it is) - so, could it be that Jagger wants him to add that thing into some already existing track, to make it more 'fancy' (like he seemingly did with "Gotta Get A Grip" - its many different re-mixes involved different instrumental parts in the hands of different people in charge).

But Rocky Dijon's interpretation as good as any other: it could be that at the first day they just don't do anything else but play the blues to warm them up. A classical Rolling Stones routine, and that might nothing to do with the actual output of the sessions.

Speculation rules!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 15:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:44

Maindefender

I hope the turntable indicates new music on the horizon.........(at least 2018...haha)

yes that's why I mentioned it here (thanks Ross for providing the link, I am way too pessimistic about people having a fb profile spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ) probably it teases just the new leg of the tour, but there's a slight margin of hope

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 13, 2018 16:18

Maindefender

I hope it's a new album. But what turntable? I see a hotplate that's being used to cook something and a round white plate onto which the tongue is tipped.

Rod

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 13, 2018 16:47

One man's hot plate is another man's steel wheels, apparently.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 13, 2018 16:59

Rocky Dijon
One man's hot plate is another man's steel wheels, apparently.

...That's utter poetry , that is. smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 13, 2018 17:31

IanBillen

This next Rolling Stones album is a real mystery. Nobody knows what the material is like.. how much of it is done .. and the whole scope of who all is working on it and when.

I suppose that is better than knowing all about .. (which would sort of spoil the fun before it comes out).

They have been very private on this affair.

Sure we know they have worked on it... and a slight few tid-bits but nothing more.

Hell .. we don't even know when its coming .. We are all simply guessing. There has been no official word on this thing in .. well not much ever (except for the fact that they began embryonic stages of new material back in 2015 (December .. when they did B&L in those same sessions). That is the only truly 'official' statement ever made from their reps about said new album.

I echo your sentiments here.

We should remember that when Jagger released his solo single last year that came totally out of blue. If memory serves, the first thing we heard about it, was some chick - don't ask me her name - saying something about having performed at a new Jagger video. Our reaction reaction here was rather skeptical at first: WHAT? But then suddenly the songs were out.

Though we have turned every stone here as any indication and hint go, the Stones themselves haven't actually discussed all that much the new album in public. They did mentioned it when BLUE & LONESOME came out - it backed up (PR-wise) nicely the story to emphasize the specific nature of that album. The infamous 'hit the wall' comment by Don Was - causing an ever-lasting shitstorm here - adds to the story nicely. Some brief mentionings here and there (lastly by Richards through ROLLING STONE). Jagger has not said nothing for ages now (has he said anything in public for a half year or so?). We wouldn't have known anything about the recent sessions if Carl Falk wouldn't have big-mouthed about it. What else we know about Jagger's doings lately? That he was in India a while ago? Of Richards' doings we don't know even that much. That we don't hear from them anything, doesn't imply that they don't do anything.

I guess nowadays we want everything to be transparent - to exist is to report one's doings immediately in a social media, a kind of modern version Cartesian principle - but I think it is still within a reason that there exist a world beyond the Public Eye, in which things do happen without the Public Eye catching that every minute or some 'insider' leaking about it.

That said, to construct our pictures of 'what's going on' from the base of small hints here and there is, of course, our passion and fun and even obsession as Rolling Stones fans, but I guess some sort of 'reality check' should be keep in mind - that we don't get carried too far with our speculations, no matter how educated those guesses are (I say this especially to myself haha).

There is a saying that there is calm before the storm... I wouldn't be too surprised if they will surprise us rather quite soon... winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 13, 2018 18:49

DandelionPowderman
One other aspect: Falk is swedish, and might not speak english fluently. Hence "chords", instead of licks.

You mean Peter Falk was Swedish, too?

And all this time I thought Columbo was Italian, or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 18:49 by stonehearted.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:13

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Rocky Dijon

That makes sense.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:17

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

You mean Peter Falk was Swedish, too?

And all this time I thought Columbo was Italian, or something.

grinning smiley

Date: February 13, 2018 21:28

bitusa2012
Maindefender

I hope it's a new album. But what turntable? I see a hotplate that's being used to cook something and a round white plate onto which the tongue is tipped.

Yes - looks like they're cooking up a pancake!

The question now, is there any deep meaning or subliminal message behind the humble pancake?
Having loved pancakes all of my life - whether American, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, German, and even the French crepe, (and even potato pancakes!), etc., etc., etc., I find this new video fascinating. smiling smiley

EDIT: Just read in the tour thread that Ronnie is tweeting that today is Pancake Day - it all makes sense now!

Happy Pancake Day 2018! What is the meaning behind it and why do we eat pancakes to celebrate Shrove Tuesday?

"Pancake Day itself came much later as a way of using up rich foods, like eggs, milk and sugar before the 40 days of fasting - Lent.
The actual tradition of mixing (eggs, milk and sugar) up for pancakes is thought to come from a pagan ritual, but others say it is a Christian tradition-
with each ingredient representing one of the four pillars of the faith. Eggs for creation, flour sustenance or the staff of life, salt for wholesomeness and milk for purity".

So what does this have to do with the Stones?

Seems to be news about the upcoming tour...they're cooking something up...stay tuned...Jumping Jack Pancake!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 22:03 by Hairball.

Date: February 13, 2018 22:14

bitusa2012
Maindefender

(with around 5 seconds left in the video) It's a white circle with the Stones logo in the middle looks exactly like a vinyl record. Have you ever seen a vinyl LP??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 22:14 by Maindefender.

Date: February 13, 2018 22:35

Maindefender
bitusa2012
Maindefender

(with around 5 seconds left in the video) It's a white circle with the Stones logo in the middle looks exactly like a vinyl record. Have you ever seen a vinyl LP??

Looks like a plate to serve the pancake on to me, but as a piece of art I suppose it could be interpreted as anything.
Imaginations running wild...all because of a pancake!!! smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2018 23:03

Hairball
Maindefender
bitusa2012
Maindefender

Looks like a plate to serve the pancake on to me, but as a piece of art I suppose it could be interpreted as anything.

Just flip me the new album.....>grinning smiley<

Date: February 14, 2018 02:02

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
bitusa2012
Maindefender

If you look really close at the pancake you can make out 'New Rolling Stones Music this fall' .. ...

>> Joking, naturally.

I wonder if the pancake has some hidden meaning. I bet it does.. I think it means this album is gonna be 'hot'! You know... being as it is on a hot plate .. .. ... grinning smiley bahahaha ...

Lets try to decrypt every single solitary frame .. I can bet there are all kinds of clues and hidden meanings .. ...

OR ... it could simply be a video with a Stones tongue pancake meaning something is cooking up with them .. ... (I could be crazy but that just may be it grinning smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 02:05 by IanBillen.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 14, 2018 03:00

Maindefender

Most of my 1000s of vinyl records are black. SOME are colored. So yes, I have seen a vinyl LP - I am 64yo almost and grew up thru what I term rock's golden era with black vinyl, that I still collect and play.

I hope, as I said, for a new album. Which I would buy in vinyl. But THAT simply looks like a plate (white plate) onto which a tongue logo is tipped.

Rod

Date: February 14, 2018 05:21

IanBillen
Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
bitusa2012
Maindefender

If you look really close at the pancake you can make out 'New Rolling Stones Music this fall' .. ...

>> Joking, naturally.

I wonder if the pancake has some hidden meaning. I bet it does.. I think it means this album is gonna be 'hot'! You know... being as it is on a hot plate .. .. ... grinning smiley bahahaha ...

Lets try to decrypt every single solitary frame .. I can bet there are all kinds of clues and hidden meanings .. ...

OR ... it could simply be a video with a Stones tongue pancake meaning something is cooking up with them .. ... (I could be crazy but that just may be it grinning smiley )

Pancakegate on page 131. Your welcome.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 14, 2018 13:07

A new version of Cook Cook Blues?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home