Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2018 04:17

diverseharmonics
stonehearted
Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon
The "recent" quotes from Don are nearly a year old when BLUE AND LONESOME had only been out for a couple months. ABC Radio is recycling comments to have a post-Grammy story. This isn't a state of the union address from Don in 2018.

you mean they're recycling comments because there is nothing new to report? It doesn't seem that much has changed.

Like this thread.

People have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album".

But regarding the Don Was quotes from that new/old interview, B&L happened the way it did because it was spontaneous, focused.

This new album, they approach more like a part-time job. The results will reflect the lack of focus, spontaneity, energy that went into the sessions for B&L and the best of their past releases. It will be an anthology of effort straining toward completion; it will feel like something they've been unsure of for years on end.

It's clear that after nearly a decade and a half of cruising on auto pilot playing the same chord structures to the same songs to the same fans, that when it comes to creating new music they're just not certain of how they feel they should express themselves.

This is perhaps the consequence of playing the same show for so many years: that a fresh new musical direction is a creative challenge they are no longer up for.
Exactly 100% correct sir.

Makes sense. thumbs up

The new album could be a hodgepodge affair that lacks cohesion and flow - a disjointed collection of traditional/classic vs. new/experimental. *(I've recycled that thought from a post I made several weeks ago winking smiley).
As for those of us who have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album" - to me that says alot about the passion and dedication some of us fans have for the Stones! And recycled comments or not, the thread will probably continue for as long as it takes the Stones to put out a new album of originals...or as long as IORR is in existence - whichever comes first.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 9, 2018 04:27

Hairball
diverseharmonics
stonehearted
Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon
The "recent" quotes from Don are nearly a year old when BLUE AND LONESOME had only been out for a couple months. ABC Radio is recycling comments to have a post-Grammy story. This isn't a state of the union address from Don in 2018.

you mean they're recycling comments because there is nothing new to report? It doesn't seem that much has changed.

Like this thread.

People have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album".

But regarding the Don Was quotes from that new/old interview, B&L happened the way it did because it was spontaneous, focused.

This new album, they approach more like a part-time job. The results will reflect the lack of focus, spontaneity, energy that went into the sessions for B&L and the best of their past releases. It will be an anthology of effort straining toward completion; it will feel like something they've been unsure of for years on end.

It's clear that after nearly a decade and a half of cruising on auto pilot playing the same chord structures to the same songs to the same fans, that when it comes to creating new music they're just not certain of how they feel they should express themselves.

This is perhaps the consequence of playing the same show for so many years: that a fresh new musical direction is a creative challenge they are no longer up for.

Makes sense. thumbs up

The new album could be a hodgepodge affair that lacks cohesion and flow - a disjointed collection of traditional/classic vs. new/experimental. *(I've recycled that thought from a post I made several weeks ago winking smiley).
As for those of us who have put in more hours since 2016 posting in this thread than the Stones themselves have put in recording the alleged "new album" - to me that says alot about the passion and dedication some of us fans have for the Stones! And recycled comments or not, the thread will probably continue for as long as it takes the Stones to put out a new album of originals...or as long as IORR is in existence - whichever comes first.

All of us are judging this album and it is no where near being out yet. I dont know how else to say it but ....thats not fair at all Lol

If the album comes out and you / we / some of us are disappointed then have at it .. but mates .. boys and gals .. brothers and sisters...>>> lets friggin wait until its released and we hear the friggin thing before we say how w/o cohesiveness, disjointed, or poor it is one way or another Geeeesh. I mean ...yikes lol

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2018 04:55

IanBillen
If the album comes out and you / we / some of us are disappointed then have at it .. but mates .. boys and gals .. brothers and sisters...>>> lets friggin wait until its released and we hear the friggin thing before we say how w/o cohesiveness, disjointed, or poor it is one way or another Geeeesh. I mean ...yikes lol

Nah, it's more fun to just...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 9, 2018 04:56

The new album will be solid, just a shame have to wait so long. If it matches Chuck Berry's finale I'd be satisfied. Yes it was a work of many years but it certainly stands the test of time. So good...

Date: February 9, 2018 05:00

IanBillen

Come on Ian, I said "it could be a hodgepodge affair that lacks cohesion and flow - a disjointed collection of traditional/classic vs. new/experimental" - I didn't say it was going to be, though I'm admittedly a bit skeptical.
I don't judge a book before I've read it, but an author's previous works could give some clues as to the quality of it. The last original tunes released as a band were the so so Doom and Gloom and One More Shot, but let's see how they follow those up. And to fill an entire album with new tunes is a bit more challenging than releasing two new tunes hidden on a greatest hits package. The bottom line is it could go either way at this point ...a great cohesive album, or an album that lacks cohesion and doesn't flow as a whole. When Keith says he want's "traditional/classic" and Mick says he wants "contemporary/experimental", it seems only natural to feel a bit skeptical.

IanBillen
it is no where near being out yet

Sad, but true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 05:01 by Hairball.

Date: February 9, 2018 08:37

Hairball
IanBillen

Come on Ian, I said "it could be a hodgepodge affair that lacks cohesion and flow - a disjointed collection of traditional/classic vs. new/experimental" - I didn't say it was going to be, though I'm admittedly a bit skeptical.
I don't judge a book before I've read it, but an author's previous works could give some clues as to the quality of it. The last original tunes released as a band were the so so Doom and Gloom and One More Shot, but let's see how they follow those up. And to fill an entire album with new tunes is a bit more challenging than releasing two new tunes hidden on a greatest hits package. The bottom line is it could go either way at this point ...a great cohesive album, or an album that lacks cohesion and doesn't flow as a whole. When Keith says he want's "traditional/classic" and Mick says he wants "contemporary/experimental", it seems only natural to feel a bit skeptical.

IanBillen
it is no where near being out yet

Sad, but true.

Right... 'it could be' .. or it could be really good. I t think you actually feel it is considerably more likely to be sub-par or not up to snuff rather than it being any good. I think there are several folks here who feel the same way and that is interesting to me lol. Hell .. many think the album will never even happen (tell ya what... when I heard it was still in the early stages I would of been right there with em on that lol THANKFULLY someone mentioned that interview / those comments were a year old at least.)

I thought their last albums were all strong (last three) .. so I have no reason to think this one will be some hodgepodge thing that is unworthy. I think they know people are expecting something very good .. and I think they are planning it to be that... otherwise I dont think they would release it if it was fair or simply average.

I'm not worried that the album won't be at least pretty darn good. My complaint is how bloody long and how they have not gotten to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 08:39 by IanBillen.

Date: February 9, 2018 09:13

Until we hear it Ian - and hopefully sooner rather than later - obviously it's hard to make any judgements. We all have our differences in what we like as far as "recent" Stones - while you are confident it will be pretty good, I am a bit skeptical. And while you thought their last albums were all strong (last three), I feel they left alot to be desired, but to each his own. A Bigger Bang had too many songs according to most fans and as an album it didn't really flow well at all, yet they released it as is. While they might think something is great, that doesn't mean all of their fans will feel the same - ABB being a perfect example.

ps - what three albums are you referring to? Blue and Lonesome, ABB, and....was it Bridges that came before that?
Been so long, I can hardly remember anymore! Or are you talking specifically about original albums and going as far back as Vooodoo Lounge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 09:16 by Hairball.

Date: February 9, 2018 09:47

Hairball
Until we hear it Ian - and hopefully sooner rather than later - obviously it's hard to make any judgements. We all have our differences in what we like as far as "recent" Stones - while you are confident it will be pretty good, I am a bit skeptical. And while you thought their last albums were all strong (last three), I feel they left alot to be desired, but to each his own. A Bigger Bang had too many songs according to most fans and as an album it didn't really flow well at all, yet they released it as is. While they might think something is great, that doesn't mean all of their fans will feel the same - ABB being a perfect example.

ps - what three albums are you referring to? Blue and Lonesome, ABB, and....was it Bridges that came before that?
Been so long, I can hardly remember anymore! Or are you talking specifically about original albums and going as far back as Vooodoo Lounge?

Good question. I am referring to ABB, BTB, & Voodoo Lounge. I don't truly count Blue & Lonesome as a 'studio' album although it was made in the studio. It is very special though .. that i must admit. A great treat.. really is.

I thought ABB ran fine and every song was solid on it IMO.

You mention sooner .. as if the album could come by summer Im guessing. I dont think it will. I am looking at a fall release. If it comes sooner Ill be surprised. If it comes any time before July I willbe suprised. I am guessing a Sept -Nov release.

No way it is coming this Spring .. I think we all know that by now. I dont think it will behere by summer either. Ima guessing late summer or fall.

Date: February 9, 2018 10:19

IanBillen
You mention sooner .. as if the album could come by summer Im guessing.

No - by sooner I mean before this decade is over. Later would be 2020 and beyond.
Truthfully, at the rate it's going I predict sometime in 2019 at the earliest - maybe in the Spring and hopefully before the Fall - probably in the summer.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 9, 2018 12:00

May! :-D

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 9, 2018 12:03

IanBillen

I don't truly count Blue & Lonesome as a 'studio' album although it was made in the studio. It is very special though .. that i must admit. A great treat.. really is.

Do you count the first album "The Rolling Stones" as a studio album then?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 9, 2018 12:46

Hairball
IanBillen

No - by sooner I mean before this decade is over. Later would be 2020 and beyond.
Truthfully, at the rate it's going I predict sometime in 2019 at the earliest - maybe in the Spring and hopefully before the Fall - probably in the summer.

My guess is november 23 2018.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2018 15:58

Ah, for the 55th anniversary of DOCTOR WHO...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 9, 2018 20:44

IanBillen
All of us are judging this album

No,not really (at least not all of us). We are just expressing our hopes and fears. It's just the longer it takes, the higher the hopes and the worse the fears.

stonehearted

That's what they call "dedicated fans", no?

Rocky Dijon
The alternative would be fans not looking forward to the release and refusing to post until the album was released.

The alternative ... If Star Trek fans don't want to wait for the next official movie, they make one themselves. Maybe it's time for a Rolling Stones Fan album - 12 originals (and no reggae cover) grinning smiley
(edit: Maybe with Lisa Fischer as a guest on one track...)

Doxa
If anything else, he could ask from Dylan when did he has last released an album of originals...

Tempest in 2012. But he released 5 CDs of covers since, so still was quite active in the studio. Maybe no originals but not recycling his old stuff either.

As for myself, I still think that D&G ist a great song (that just would've needed one or two more finishing touches, e.g. a solo section) and would have made a perfect album opener. But this is not a world of would have been affairs (sadly, in this case).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 20:47 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 9, 2018 21:58

So the only reason this remains a sticky is to prevent other similar threads from cropping up, correct?

Date: February 9, 2018 23:06

@Maindefender,
that's right. The objective is to find out who's done first: this thread or the new album.

Date: February 9, 2018 23:07

Ostensibly, yes. It's also a magnet for fans to implode because those old men in their seventies aren't working as hard or as fast or as well as they darn well should be. You'd think the album was being made with crowd-funding by the way we carry on.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2018 23:16

Rocky Dijon
a magnet for fans to implode because those old men in their seventies aren't working as hard or as fast or as well as they darn well should be. You'd think the album was being made with crowd-funding by the way we carry on.

We wouldn't be carrying on at all if the Stones themselves wouldn't goad their fans by periodically bragging to the press of how many new tracks they have "in the can", or Keith patting himself on the back about his three new "killer riffs".

Why couldn't they just keep a lid on it and then talk about the new album when it's finally ready to be released?

So, I say, carry on with carrying on.

Date: February 10, 2018 00:12

stonehearted
Rocky Dijon
a magnet for fans to implode because those old men in their seventies aren't working as hard or as fast or as well as they darn well should be. You'd think the album was being made with crowd-funding by the way we carry on.

We wouldn't be carrying on at all if the Stones themselves wouldn't goad their fans by periodically bragging to the press of how many new tracks they have "in the can", or Keith patting himself on the back about his three new "killer riffs".

Why couldn't they just keep a lid on it and then talk about the new album when it's finally ready to be released?

So, I say, carry on with carrying on.

Yeah...Keith should know as much as anyone that talk is cheap!!!

*(another recycled thought which I posted months ago winking smiley)

Date: February 10, 2018 00:27

To be fair, they're not updating their website with news (nor is B.V.), but we're fans so we magnify every stray comment and read reams of meaning in it. Case in point is the "hit a brick wall" remark. We obsess over every detail and then chastise them for not catering to our hysterical reactions.

I'm not suggesting we should stop, it's what the board is for, but we should have a realistic view that we'll hit 200 pages by the time the tour is here and might not know much else other than they're still working on it or planning on working on it later in the year.

They're hardly baiting us with remarks. We're just Stones junkies eager for every morsel and crumb we can get. When we finally get our hit, it isn't as good as we remembered it and then we start the process over. Just like any addict.

Date: February 10, 2018 00:35

Might as well face it, we're addicted to Stones!

Date: February 10, 2018 00:41

Well, keeping a lid on it is possibly not that easy. When you're a group like the Stones who say for decades now that they want to find out how long they can do it and how far they can take it and that age is not an issue for them because look at all the old Blues guys that are still going strong (at least, Keef keeps saying so) and you're active in the sense that you are constantly touring and it's a couple of years since your last album came out, it is almost inevitable that sooner or later some journalist will ask you about a new album even if you don't start the talk yourself. And then you have to say something.

Also, if you feel you're not done yet as a songwriter, what would speak against it? Mick certainly feels like he's not done yet as a songwriter, think of the 40 demos and 2 recently released songs, among other things. Keef's possibly not as prolific in this field as he used to be but certainly doesn't think of himself as having run empty either. Ronnie is not being asked, but that's a different story. Apart from what goes on between them on a personal level, both seem to have developed different working modes over the years which are not easy to reconcile. Mick being the one who rather works things out by himself and brings his stuff to the band only when there's already some shape to it (or so we hear), Keith being someone whose creativity rather gets into the gears in the course of the sessions - or so we hear, think of his claims to have written 150-200 songs in the course of working on Voodoo Lounge - although his autobio suggests this is only one facet of him and that inspiration might strike him even in a brothel winking smiley.

Different approaches - "modern", "experimental" (well, as experimental as you can get in the Stones framework...) vs. "traditional", "classic Stones" or suchlike may come in addition but need not even be the main problem. To find a compromise between these two different ways of working seems to me to be a key point. Mick possibly doesn't want to spend weeks just watching Keith striving for inspiration because he's also got a hundred other things to do, and Keith possibly no longer as easy to get out of his house as in earlier years (the family, them ol' bones, ...).

The Stones are certainly at a stage where there's not much left for them to prove to anyone, and different people handle such a state of affairs differently. Dylan records 5 CDs of Sinatra-style songs and doesn't care much if the rest of the world likes it, Neil Young is as prolific as ever and doesn't give a damn on what the critics say, and the Stones simply take their time and see no reason to force anything. The onyl danger in the latter approach is that this way, not much gets done and you might drop out of the groove.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 10, 2018 02:28

Rocky Dijon
I agree we had another album's worth of tracks that would have made for a rather imbalanced compilation if packaged together. As for they would never decide to call it a day and then release the album because doing so is cheezy and generic, I would say never say never. Health and age and desire changes. The business is to sell. If they know they're stopping (and I'm speculating only), why wouldn't they do so? Because they would lose street cred? Because it isn't rock 'n' roll? It would be foolish to release the album and then fade away knowing it was all over. It's about maximizing impact.

Okay, never say never, true, but they have said, never stay stop.
To me their reasoning is, they don't know and don't want to plan too much long term. Look at the breaks and the comebacks, and as some of us, including Bjornulf have said, who'd have thought, say back in 2010, that they would do as many shows and tours since 2012?

As Mick said from the stage of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, performing after he found out that his father had died, as Mick flew back from the UK to Nevada, "You never know. You never know." cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 10, 2018 02:41

Hairball
IanBillen

Hahahaha .. (I'm tellin ya .. grinning smiley ). In fairness .. it >>better<< come in 2018.. I mean how long do they expect to keep mentioning it, for fans to keep anticipating it, and for them to take with it ...?

I mean .. let's not turn this into a Rolling Stones 'Chinese Democracy' .. I wont even entertain 2019.

It better come in 2018. Waiting another year wouldn't help the cause. I mean .. sure it would still sell but at some point an artist would lose more interest than they would garner by continuing to per-long a release.

I think they gotta do it this year.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 10, 2018 04:00

bye bye johnny
Bashlets
There is no money in recording music. Sales are crap.

Best Buy to Pull CDs, Target Threatens to Pay Labels for CDs Only When Customers Buy Them

I went there several times the day of a new release in 2016 and 2017. They didn't have them. But they did have a bunch of shit that they couldn't even give away. No matter who it is they could put a FREE CDS bin out front of the store and at the end of the day it would probably have the same amount in it.

I gave up and strictly use Amazon now. I like CDs. I will buy them as long as whatever labels make them available for the artists I like. I have no issue with downloading, just so long as I can have the record, be it on CD or vinyl, in my hands to look at and read and play.

Posted by: ReginaPhalange ()
Date: February 10, 2018 04:04

Mick was in a studio in Paris today with Matt Clifford and Carl Falk:

Carl Falk instagram

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 10, 2018 04:07

To sum it up, Doxa, NOT MUCH.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: February 10, 2018 04:24

IanBillen
Hairball
diverseharmonics
stonehearted
Rokyfan
Rocky Dijon

Like this thread.

Makes sense. thumbs up

All of us are judging this album and it is no where near being out yet. I dont know how else to say it but ....thats not fair at all Lol

Can we at least start complaining about the band not playing any of the album on the 2020 tour?!

Date: February 10, 2018 04:58

ReginaPhalange

Carl Falk instagram

One can only think who the f*ck is Carl Falk?
And then it dawned on me that his name had been mentioned a year or so ago - at least I think it's the same guy.

A quick look at wiki:

"(born 17 August 1980 in Stockholm), is a Swedish songwriter, record producer and musician and has worked with artists such as Demi Lovato,
One Direction, Nicki Minaj, Ellie Goulding, Madonna, Avicii, Ariana Grande and Jason Derulo. Since 2010 he has co-written and co-produced hits like
"What Makes You Beautiful", "One Thing", "Live While We're Young", "Kiss You" by One Direction and "Starships" and "Pound The Alarm" by Nicki Minaj"

Yes I think it's the same guy.

Talented guy no doubt, but I think there was a fear of Mick collaborating with him...could this be happening now?
If so, maybe more solo material from Mick...hope it's not for the new Stones album!!! confused smiley

Anyhow, Mick looks good and happy all bundled up, and hardly a single hair out of place!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 05:00 by Hairball.

Date: February 10, 2018 05:40

Hairball
ReginaPhalange

Carl Falk instagram

One can only think who the f*ck is Carl Falk?
And then it dawned on me that his name had been mentioned a year or so ago - at least I think it's the same guy.

A quick look at wiki:

"(born 17 August 1980 in Stockholm), is a Swedish songwriter, record producer and musician and has worked with artists such as Demi Lovato,
One Direction, Nicki Minaj, Ellie Goulding, Madonna, Avicii, Ariana Grande and Jason Derulo. Since 2010 he has co-written and co-produced hits like
"What Makes You Beautiful", "One Thing", "Live While We're Young", "Kiss You" by One Direction and "Starships" and "Pound The Alarm" by Nicki Minaj"

Yes I think it's the same guy.

Talented guy no doubt, but I think there was a fear of Mick collaborating with him...could this be happening now?
If so, maybe more solo material from Mick...hope it's not for the new Stones album!!! confused smiley

Anyhow, Mick looks good and happy all bundled up, and hardly a single hair out of place!

Screw anything Mick Jagger Solo for a loooooong while ... long while .. .. .. .. .... I have a news flash (nobody wants it .. not Stones fans..not anyone .. not right now anyway .. ).

We want Rolling Stones. If this is to work on the new Stones album I am curious (and in slight fear).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 05:40 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home