Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...115116117118119120121122123124125...LastNext
Current Page: 120 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 15, 2018 06:26

Well, Keith was probably not trying to save a buck for quite some time grinning smiley, he was just lucky enough to have more money coming in than he could spend. Chawlie - dunno, he's clever at horses, it seems, and has a wife to keep him on track. According to the papers (and the papers never lie ...) Ronnie was always very keen on touring because there is no income from songwriting royalties. So maybe he sides with Mick on this one.

Maybe we'll get a snap posted these days, "Secret sighting: Ronnie Wood in India"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 15, 2018 07:10

All this 'saving a buck stuff' for the studio / recording time.

Small acts usually get an <advance> for the recording (which is a fancy word for 'loan' lol) and then usually the artist pays it back out of mechanical royalties from the sales of the album .. All this occurs before the artist even starts making any money themselves. It is known as the record company 'recouping' the advance.

With large acts ... The record company foots the bill for the recording time / producer / engineers / studio etc.

It isn't about The Stones saving a buck .. They aren't paying for any of it .. (and the record company will pay for whatever studio they want with a name such as theirs).

Ian

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 15, 2018 10:37

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
I guess that "half an album of songs" are the songs that are more or less in the can and that everybody can agree on.

I can't really imagine that Mick might run out of songs or ideas for songs anytime soon (not so sure about Keith, so far as it's about songs that don't all sound the same).

I'll be happy with a 6-8 song LP at this point - without a boringly bad reggae cover.

Consider Mick's non-Stones work the past, oh, 18 years or so - really bad, overall. Throw in his horrible solo-Stones songs (Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love and a plethora of others going as far back as VOODOO LOUNGE, with some, like his Kenny Loggins wannabe song that was so bad that fortunately didn't get finished and on through what happened on BRIDGES TO BABYLON and the two horrible LICKS songs Keys To Your Love and Stealing Your Heart and his benign 2 solo songs from 2017) and suddenly Keith's 3 or 4 good ideas take some new weight to them.

If they could just collaborate, whittle down Mick's 20-40 ideas with Keith dictating what's good and Mick being adamant about what is good (and if it's Brown Sugar/Sway/etc kind of good then great)... and Keith adding his bits, then maybe there'd be something pretty good.

It's unfortunate that such a legacy has been watered down so severely since 1989 and was never given a chance to recover enough that a lot of people are pleased with the fact that they'll possibly do something. That is just sad. It's why BLUE AND LONESOME is so awesome - because they did something and it's pretty damn good - the only problem being it's not an original Stones LP.

Hell, a 6 to 8 track LP sounds perfect these days.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2018 18:46

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
Yer killing me!!!

I keep a spreadsheet of what irritates you and gotdablouse. I cross-check it from time to time to make sure it's up-to-date and then use a pivot table to chart your similarities and differences. Even more fascinating is the one I built for Dandy and Rockman. Most people on IORR have a counterpart. I've paired Ian with Hairball and 35love with Chatoyancy. I've done this for 7 or 8 years now and have offered B.V. predictors of IORRian behavior so he can pre-plan periods of high maintenance.

Yes, I'm kidding. I just wanted to use "pre=plan" around GasLight on a Sunday morning and make him spit his coffee on his laptop again.

You are insidious!

Date: January 15, 2018 18:48

doitywoik
Mick was always trying to save a buck, no?

Do you recall the stages from 1989 until 2017?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:28

Rocky Dijon ....
I keep a spreadsheet of what irritates you and gotdablouse. I cross-check it from time to time to make sure it's up-to-date and then use a pivot table to chart your similarities and differences. Even more fascinating is the one I built for Dandy and Rockman. Most people on IORR have a counterpart. I've paired Ian with Hairball and 35love with Chatoyancy. ....

Mmmmmm Interesting .... Best you release this info to the public Rocky .. .... hhhaaawww

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2018 23:41

grinning smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 16, 2018 07:59

Rockman
Rocky Dijon ....
I keep a spreadsheet of what irritates you and gotdablouse. I cross-check it from time to time to make sure it's up-to-date and then use a pivot table to chart your similarities and differences. Even more fascinating is the one I built for Dandy and Rockman. Most people on IORR have a counterpart. I've paired Ian with Hairball and 35love with Chatoyancy. ....

Mmmmmm Interesting .... Best you release this info to the public Rocky .. .... hhhaaawww

That sounds about right.... and on Rocksoff.org folk's paired me with Gazza ... Same debates ... Same stuff .. same good times though.

I dig theses talks though .. I really do. I've learned a lot from them.

Date: January 16, 2018 14:21

GasLightStreet
doitywoik
Mick was always trying to save a buck, no?

Do you recall the stages from 1989 until 2017?

Well, compared to the Steel Wheels stage, the Urban Jungle stage certainly was a money saver. The Licks stage possibly not. Compared to Licks, the later stages looked somewhat scaled-down to me but no idea if they really were in terms of costs.

Date: January 16, 2018 16:40

What they saved in steel costs for URBAN JUNGLE they made up for with cloth and paint!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:01

...and inflatable wildebeest testicles.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2018 06:01

Is it here, yet! I've been gone a few days. Is it the best since Exile? Did Bill come back? Does Mick T. guest star? Did Keith & Mick pow wow in Parrot wherever and write songs in each others noses? Yes?

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: January 17, 2018 06:42

So did the album ever happen?

Can we go buy it yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 06:43 by howlingmad.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 17, 2018 11:19

24FPS
Is it here, yet! I've been gone a few days. Is it the best since Exile? Did Bill come back? Does Mick T. guest star? Did Keith & Mick pow wow in Parrot wherever and write songs in each others noses? Yes?

Of course! How could you have missed it? My personal rating:
1) "Rough and Tough" -> a nice rocker, Ronnie does a good solo, lyrics a bit silly
2) "Selfish Me" -> a nice funky song, the rhythm is a bit too mechanical
3) "Late and lonely" -> A typical slow jazzy ballad by Keith. Could have been worked a bit more.
4) "Hot Lips" -> Another try to play reggae. Not really convincing.
5) "Sugar and Sweat" -> Mick Jagger is ready to dance. Great groove, but sounds a bit too much like Miss You
6) "Seven Sins" -> The most brilliant thing since Exile on Main Street, could this mean a re-born Stones? Keith is on fire and Mick is more energetic than ever
7) "Neon boogie" -> Wow, who would have known Ronnie could play the piano like that?
8) "Lights out" -> A fair ending of the album, sung by Keith.

Conclusion: not a bad album, a bit short.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 17, 2018 12:48

matxil

To me Charlies drumming on Selfish me is his best since Suck on the Jugular.

...LMAO, brilliant review. Looking forward to your opinion when we have the real stuff.
Probably only the names of the songs will be different.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 17, 2018 12:51

Nice titles! grinning smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 17, 2018 12:54

matxil
24FPS

1) "Rough and Tough" -> a nice rocker, Ronnie does a good solo, lyrics a bit silly
3) "Late and lonely" -> A typical slow jazzy ballad by Keith. Could have been worked a bit more.
5) "Sugar and Sweat" -> Mick Jagger is ready to dance. Great groove, but sounds a bit too much like Miss You
6) "Seven Sins" -> The most brilliant thing since Exile on Main Street, could this mean a re-born Stones? Keith is on fire and Mick is more energetic than ever
7) "Neon boogie" -> Wow, who would have known Ronnie could play the piano like that?

It misses "Losing my couch" a boring Keith's ballad.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 17, 2018 12:54

I've enjoyed talking about this new studio album they've been working on, but it gets a bit old after a year and a half.

I think it's time they started working on a follow-up to another studio album.

That way, we'd have something to keep us talking about until 2020.

Date: January 17, 2018 18:16

stonehearted
I've enjoyed talking about this new studio album they've been working on, but it gets a bit old after a year and a half.

I think it's time they started working on a follow-up to another studio album.

That way, we'd have something to keep us talking about until 2020.

If they do enough Jagger songs there will be "box sets worth of material".

Date: January 17, 2018 18:35

24FPS

I understand and appreciate your confusion so I will be as honest and discerning as possible and respond to each and every question with the literal delicacy of an actual printing press.

Is it the best since Exile?
Of course! I mean, like, you know, like, what a stupid, you know, question.

Did Bill come back?
We all know he went somewhere else so he's never really left.

Does Mick T. guest star?
It might be best if you go outside at night and look up into the stars and consider the fact that we are not alone. And if you look up and see clouds, then you can't see the stars. So you'll just have to wait, I guess.

Did Keith & Mick pow wow in Parrot wherever and write songs in each others noses?
There's no such thing as heat lightning.

However, your geographical question brings up an almost interesting point. Although it's spelled cay it's pronounced key, thanks to all those wig wearing people on giant sail boats a long time ago. Although if you want to pronounce it in its true form, Spanish, it's cay, like okay.

Yes?
Gravitas!

Side note about "gravitas" - it, officially, carries more weight if pronounced grahh (or glahh)-veee-tas, letting the s trail a bit. Grahv-ee-toss is just pathetic and sniffly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 17:48 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: January 17, 2018 19:35

matxil
24FPS

Not bad, but that cover art! Isn't it just the worst? How could they???

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 17, 2018 21:55

GasLightStreet
Side not about "gravitas" - it, officially, carries more weight if pronounced grahh (or glahh)-veee-tas, letting the s trail a bit. Grahv-ee-toss is just pathetic and sniffly.

This was some of your best writing so I'm not sure if it's best I not note or note not.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: January 17, 2018 23:49

I guess the tracks of the new album are:

1. Panama Powder Room
2. English Summer
3. May the Circle Be Unbroken
4. Toss The Coin
5. Old Glory
6. After Muddy And Charlie
7. Save Me
8. Pennies From Heaven
9. Too Far To Walk
10.Yonder´s Wall
11.Travelling Tiger
12.Man Eating-Women

confused smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:43

matxil
24FPS

Love Seven Sins! -- maybe they'll open their upcoming Tour of the Americas with that one.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 18, 2018 12:12

wonderboy
ohotos
matxil
24FPS

Not bad, but that cover art! Isn't it just the worst? How could they???

Love Seven Sins! -- maybe they'll open their upcoming Tour of the Americas with that one.

Let's not forget it doesn't sound all that 'overproduced', like most of the 'latter-day' Stones albums. Jack White & Don Was really did a fine job together!

And the fact that it's considered "a bit short", makes for a nice change as well. We've had plenty of "too many fillers" on previous albums!!

I'm already looking forward to the 25the Anniversary Remastering Deluxe box set with 2 CD's of previously unreleased left-overs (some finished with new vocals & guitar overdubs by Mick T.) ...

Date: January 18, 2018 17:49

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
Side not about "gravitas" - it, officially, carries more weight if pronounced grahh (or glahh)-veee-tas, letting the s trail a bit. Grahv-ee-toss is just pathetic and sniffly.

This was some of your best writing so I'm not sure if it's best I not note or note not.

I just noticed that and fixed it.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 18, 2018 21:15

Oh this damn thread...every day I come here with a little hope of real news, every day I leave disappointed :/

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 18, 2018 21:17

Page 122 will be epic........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2018 21:21

Maindefender
Page 122 will be epic........>grinning smiley<

Looking forward to it...smiling smiley...and rumour has it that page 150 will reveal more substantial speculation based on several inside sources!

Date: January 18, 2018 21:25

OK, let's skip 30 pages and go for the meat! grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...115116117118119120121122123124125...LastNext
Current Page: 120 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home