Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...110111112113114115116117118119120...LastNext
Current Page: 115 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 21, 2017 15:52

Bigger Bang is good album ,lot of good tracks and it was only mick and kith who made the record,Ronnie came in and added his part and CHARLIE was recoving from cancer too,so i think with all that going on its good album,they cannot go back to the 4 great albums they made others but some fans do not like them.ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL ,JUST ENJOY.X

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 21, 2017 16:12

So what do we have then apart from our obsessing:

CROSSEYED HEART is released after ZIP CODE and the Stones re-enter the studio in December 2015 and cut the basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME in 3 days. The rest of the sessions are spent working on new material Mick has written since 2011, three riffs of Keith's, and reworking some outtakes going back 15 years or possibly longer.

The band, their label, and Don Was discuss how to release the material in 2016 following the OLE tour: a possible double album or releasing the blues album as a download exclusive. Eventually, the decision is made to release the blues album in December 2016 as a standalone release and finish the new material for separate release the following year.

Early in 2017, Ronnie's health scare delays the NO FILTER tour. Along with the bumper crop of newborns, the decision to separate the UK dates from the European tour and move them to 2018, rumored differences of opinions over which tracks or versions of tracks should be released, and possibly to test market a potential new direction with Mick's "solo single" featuring Ronnie, Charlie, and Matt Clifford; the decision is made by Spring to move the album to a 2018 release. Chuck Leavell notes in the Summer the plan is to finish the album by Spring 2018. Much discord in fandom follows with threats, tears, disbelief, and general hysteria.

Following the conclusion of NO FILTER European tour, in December 2017 Mick and Keith publicize their studio time in L.A. and N.Y., respectively with Mick noting they are both listening to multi-tracks and will make decisions on what they like or what needs work. Keith states the plan is to finish the album early next year. Both he and Mick continue to mention the planned UK tour for 2018 which has not been officially announced and can't be for insurance purposes.

Absolutely everything is in line with the schedule they decided early in the year and with what Chuck Leavell revealed in the summer. The only thing missing from the above is our exaggerated hysteria over their every coming and going. As for Hairball pointing out that Don Was' recent remark to Dean Goodman wasn't a public pronouncement, but a private off-the-record remark; just my own take, Dean is a respected journalist and Don is a veteran producer and label executive (as well as musician), no matter how comfortable Don is with Dean and how much he personally likes him, I would suspect he never forgets he's speaking with a journalist and fan who of course posted the remark here as soon as it was shared. Don's remarks about the album have been consistent for a year now. It serves a purpose surely, but I'm not looking for Don's remarks for direction. I'll stick to what appears to be the agreed upon schedule for much of the last year. It may not be the timetable we want as fans, but it was the one they decided upon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 16:15 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 21, 2017 17:37

kish_stoned
Bigger Bang is good album ,lot of good tracks and it was only mick and kith who made the record,Ronnie came in and added his part and CHARLIE was recoving from cancer too,so i think with all that going on its good album,they cannot go back to the 4 great albums they made others but some fans do not like them.ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL ,JUST ENJOY.X

Well said! I love Bigger Bang!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 21, 2017 17:53

Rocky Dijon

CROSSEYED HEART is released after ZIP CODE and the Stones re-enter the studio in December 2015 and cut the basic tracks for BLUE AND LONESOME in 3 days. The rest of the sessions are spent working on new material Mick has written since 2011, three riffs of Keith's, and reworking some outtakes going back 15 years or possibly longer.

The band, their label, and Don Was discuss how to release the material in 2016 following the OLE tour: a possible double album or releasing the blues album as a download exclusive. Eventually, the decision is made to release the blues album in December 2016 as a standalone release and finish the new material for separate release the following year.

Early in 2017, Ronnie's health scare delays the NO FILTER tour. Along with the bumper crop of newborns, the decision to separate the UK dates from the European tour and move them to 2018, rumored differences of opinions over which tracks or versions of tracks should be released, and possibly to test market a potential new direction with Mick's "solo single" featuring Ronnie, Charlie, and Matt Clifford; the decision is made by Spring to move the album to a 2018 release. Chuck Leavell notes in the Summer the plan is to finish the album by Spring 2018. Much discord in fandom follows with threats, tears, disbelief, and general hysteria.

Following the conclusion of NO FILTER European tour, in December 2017 Mick and Keith publicize their studio time in L.A. and N.Y., respectively with Mick noting they are both listening to multi-tracks and will make decisions on what they like or what needs work. Keith states the plan is to finish the album early next year. Both he and Mick continue to mention the planned UK tour for 2018 which has not been officially announced and can't be for insurance purposes.

Absolutely everything is in line with the schedule they decided early in the year and with what Chuck Leavell revealed in the summer. The only thing missing from the above is our exaggerated hysteria over their every coming and going. As for Hairball pointing out that Don Was' recent remark to Dean Goodman wasn't a public pronouncement, but a private off-the-record remark; just my own take, Dean is a respected journalist and Don is a veteran producer and label executive (as well as musician), no matter how comfortable Don is with Dean and how much he personally likes him, I would suspect he never forgets he's speaking with a journalist and fan who of course posted the remark here as soon as it was shared. Don's remarks about the album have been consistent for a year now. It serves a purpose surely, but I'm not looking for Don's remarks for direction. I'll stick to what appears to be the agreed upon schedule for much of the last year. It may not be the timetable we want as fans, but it was the one they decided upon.

I think you nailed what is (and has) went on with this album and their situation surrounding it (as well as their professional lives over the last two years) ...perfectly.

This seems to be the case. Album done by Spring .. Release in the late late summer or fall.

*Why can't the UK tour be announced .. What is the insurance issue there?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 21, 2017 18:40

@Rocky - that sounds quite reasonable, except for Keith's latest comments to Mojo I posted on the previous page (no time planned in the studio for the Stones)...or he's completely out of the loop (wouldn't be the first time, see Taylor on PMS) but that would not be good news either. Best not to have a new Stones album than a Stones album with 6x (GGaG+EL) kind of aimless crap.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 21, 2017 19:10

gotdablouse
@Rocky - that sounds quite reasonable, except for Keith's latest comments to Mojo I posted on the previous page (no time planned in the studio for the Stones)...or he's completely out of the loop (wouldn't be the first time, see Taylor on PMS) but that would not be good news either. Best not to have a new Stones album than a Stones album with 6x (GGaG+EL) kind of aimless crap.

Out of the Loop (lol? come on now). See the beginning of the article posted in the other post. The plan is to finish the album early in the year. The fact that he mentions Mick could / may call and want to do a session is every indication there are plans to do exactly that. .....They (The Stones or anyone in their camp) are not going to say ... <On January 7th we are going in such and such studio at 4 pm >.. ....

Im sure a studio is booked right now... Someone with their stature and the professionals they hire and who work with them would need time off from other affairs. It's a business with schedules. Our studio is booked (specific clients scheduled) anywhere from at the earliest six weeks to four months out ahead of time and the clients know it and are scheduled. The Stones would require the same ..if not much more. Guitar techs .. Producer ...Engineer .. and at the studios they go to .. they need a slot scheduled ahead of time... all parties do.

I am fairly certain they have a date booked already as per Keiths "We are going to finish it early in the year" comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 19:15 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2017 19:56

Rocky Dijon

Thanks Rocky - this post and the timeline you posted recently helps to make some sort of sense out of the quagmire that this new album process has become, as well as this new album thread that has had it's title changed (from 2017 to 2018)and is filled with speculation and obsession. Can't blame fans for getting antsy and anxious though as it's been so damn long since an album of originals...13 years? That's longer than most bands even exist! In the meantime since their last album ABB, there's been plenty of positive activity - archive releases, Crosseyed Heart, GRRRR, several tours (including the extra special Mick Taylor reunion), and all sorts of other good stuff. On the other hand, they've had their share of trials and tribulations in their personal lives (Keith's head, L'wren, Ronnie's cancer, etc. etc.) and as a band - one being the loss of Bobby Keys, RIP. Given their age, trying to get on the same page for a new album is probably not their biggest priority in life as they have enough important issues to deal with. As with most anyone (especially most folks in their mid-'70's), family, health, etc. is their number one priority.

But back to another new album related issue which is some food-for-thought and not directed at you or anyone in particular - I'm basically just thinking out loud as I drink some strong morning coffee. As for the Getta Grip/England Lost detour that took place recently amongst these sessions - it was said that it might have been released by Universal to "test the market". If this is true, and since we know how that turned out, wonder if it has had any effect or influence on the direction of the new album? Has it swayed Mick to take another look at some of what he originally brought to the table with his 40 demos? Personally I don't mind the song and never thought it was complete crap - in fact it's kind of grown on me in the slightest way, and I like it better than Doom and Gloom. But I begin to think "what if" this and "what if" that...as in it might have made a semi-decent Stones tune if there would have been full cooperation amongst all members of the band - namely Keith. I still haven't bought it and probably never will, but the occasional listen via youtube can't do any harm. Maybe it's a sign of desperation to hear something original and brand new from any of the band members. The fact that Crosseyed Heart is now well over two years old, it seems anything is better than nothing at this point - no matter how average it is.

At any rate, this has been a fun thread to read and contribute to for the most part...sort of like solving a murder mystery lol. Tying up loose ends, putting two and two together, debating the possible motives, etc., and just when you think you're on the right track some other new tidbit of info. comes in which makes you reevaluate everything! Hoping for some more hints in the new year - whether it's direct quotes from the band, or more speculation based on what we know of it all. With nothing else currently happening in Stonesland, may the obsession and speculation continue. After all, this is a message board filled with fanatics. Focusing on the future helps balance out the constant dwelling in the past (which of course I also appreciate), and when it comes down to it, the fact that there still is a future with the Stones is a blessing.

EDIT: I see now that the Getta Grip issues I mentioned above are being dealt with in the Mick Jagger "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 20:07 by Hairball.

Date: December 21, 2017 20:03

In answer to Ian, regarding insurance: I can't recall whom it was, but a wise IORRian posted here fairly recently that they don't put tickets on sale or even announce tours with the lead time of other artists (who sell tickets more than 6 months in advance of the dates or more) because of insurance reasons. If something were to happen in the interim to cancel or postpone the shows, they would be liable. Consequently, the announcement and sales come with a much shorter lead time. They've been talking about the UK tour since the European dates were confirmed in the Spring. There are rumors dates have been discussed for various venues. Nothing is contractual though until it is a much shorter window. It seemed logical to me.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 21, 2017 20:06

IanBillen
gotdablouse

Out of the Loop (lol? come on now). See the beginning of the article posted in the other post. The plan is to finish the album early in the year. The fact that he mentions Mick could / may call and want to do a session is every indication there are plans to do exactly that. .....They (The Stones or anyone in their camp) are not going to say ... .. ....

Im sure a studio is booked right now... Someone with their stature and the professionals they hire and who work with them would need time off from other affairs. It's a business with schedules. Our studio is booked (specific clients scheduled) anywhere from at the earliest six weeks to four months out ahead of time and the clients know it and are scheduled. The Stones would require the same ..if not much more. Guitar techs .. Producer ...Engineer .. and at the studios they go to .. they need a slot scheduled ahead of time... all parties do.

I am fairly certain they have a date booked already as per Keiths "We are going to finish it early in the year" comments.

So you get a call from Jane Rose or whoever saying that the Stones are going to be (wherever you are) and your facilities were recommended but you say, sorry, we're booked, next time give us 6 weeks notice.

Or, the management gets a call from Mick and says we need a studio next week, and gets told in return, the best we can do is six weeks from now.

The Rolling Stones?

I have no clue, you're in the business not me, but, the Rolling Stones? I think that they can always get what they want.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2017 21:07

kish_stoned
Bigger Bang is good album ,lot of good tracks and it was only mick and kith who made the record,Ronnie came in and added his part and CHARLIE was recoving from cancer too

No. Mick and Keith wrote and demoed the album. Then Mick, Keith and Charlie recorded the album. Big difference.

Date: December 21, 2017 21:16

Rocky Dijon

So... in other words, at the time, apparently they had enough new original material finished if they considered releasing it, even though they said otherwise later!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 21, 2017 21:20

Rokyfan
IanBillen
gotdablouse

Out of the Loop (lol? come on now). See the beginning of the article posted in the other post. The plan is to finish the album early in the year. The fact that he mentions Mick could / may call and want to do a session is every indication there are plans to do exactly that. .....They (The Stones or anyone in their camp) are not going to say ... .. ....

So you get a call from Jane Rose or whoever saying that the Stones are going to be (wherever you are) and your facilities were recommended but you say, sorry, we're booked, next time give us 6 weeks notice.

Or, the management gets a call from Mick and says we need a studio next week, and gets told in return, the best we can do is six weeks from now.

The Rolling Stones?

I have no clue, you're in the business not me, but, the Rolling Stones? I think that they can always get what they want.

In some ways you're probably correct, but only if it's for sale at a price they're willing to pay. Not all studios are going to be willing to call up the artists who have already booked the studio and cancel their reservations just because the Stones want to show up. Also, even if the studio were willing to move the artist, the other artist may reply with sure, we'll move our session but you'll have to compensate us for it. Not that the Stones couldn't afford the additional cost, but they might not be willing pay a premium for a certain location at a certain time.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 21, 2017 21:33

Perhaps the best thing to do is to just forget about it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 21, 2017 21:34

Rocky Dijon
In answer to Ian, regarding insurance: I can't recall whom it was, but a wise IORRian posted here fairly recently that they don't put tickets on sale or even announce tours with the lead time of other artists (who sell tickets more than 6 months in advance of the dates or more) because of insurance reasons. If something were to happen in the interim to cancel or postpone the shows, they would be liable. Consequently, the announcement and sales come with a much shorter lead time. They've been talking about the UK tour since the European dates were confirmed in the Spring. There are rumors dates have been discussed for various venues. Nothing is contractual though until it is a much shorter window. It seemed logical to me.

That said, Eric Clapton (for example) has recently announced European gigs in July 2018.
And Eric has had his health issues....and cancelled dates.
The Stones organisation obviously take a different view. Maybe due I guess that tour overheads must be considerably higher than Clapton's.

Coincidentally UK Comedian Peter Kay has just had to cancel his 100 plus concerts tour over 2018/9 for 'family reasons', not long after the dates were announced.
I wouldn't have thought he would be held liable though?

Date: December 21, 2017 21:50

It stands to reason that the longer the period of time between the sale of tickets and the actual show when they are "off the hook" vis-à-vis the buyers, the higher the insurance premium is, since the risk of something happening is higher. So I guess they could "announce" the tour and not sell the tickets but that wouldn't make much marketing/business sense. Both Mick and Keith have in effect "announced" the tour with their strong hints, more so than any other recent tour I can remember really.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 21, 2017 22:43

georgelicks
The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.

13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time.

I always wondered if the band themselves realized it,if they do that’s a start.the first step to solving a problem is knowing there is one.
You see when discussing bigger bang it’s always-“everyone wants it shorter but they all want different songs left off”.it doesn’t matter,when you have all weak material you don’t release the equivalent of a double album.there was a time they knew this without thinking, which is why black and blue is 8 songs and not 18.
It might help to ignore the goofy guy on the keyboards and the dude with the fake dreads when they say “great, fantastic , you got it”and maybe ask yourself what the guy who said”you sound like bloody status quo” would’ve thought.

Date: December 21, 2017 23:21

GasLightStreet
So... in other words, at the time, apparently they had enough new original material finished if they considered releasing it, even though they said otherwise later!

Having demos, even really polished demos, isn't the same thing as saying there's an album ready to release. They have the material written, whether they have enough good material to call it an album is the question. I am just speculating, but I suspect by the time Universal listened to the work-in-progress and agreed to the contract extension last year, they knew they could (if need be) have Don Was work to finish everything on his own with either remixed outtakes replacing any weak or unfinished tracks or by having other hands complete overdubs under his guidance. This has to be an album that could be released if mortality prevented the band from completing it of their own accord. Don has been talking about two CDs of "recent" (as in last 25 years or so) outtakes for a very long time.

Date: December 22, 2017 00:01

Rokyfan
IanBillen
gotdablouse

The Rolling Stones?

They can get into a studio shorter... and they don't need any advance such as four months... BUT the studios location isnt the issue. They could get into a nice studio in no time Im sure... You see they have a Producer who is working others and at times doing some shows himself .. a guitar tech ... need an engineer at their choice.. That is not even counting Bernard or others and having to arrange around The Stones families. Ya can't just say to the whole group ... next week we are all going to have to be in LA or London or Paris. Has to be planned .... There are professionals involved with business schedules.. Sure The Stones are the top priority but Is Don Was supposed to tell Willie Nelson ... Sorry .. gotta fly out tuesday.. You are on your own..

My guess is they know a solid one to two months in advance. People cannot drop what they are doing at the level they are and take off to another country .. Maybe3 one or two could but they would need a small group on board INCLUDING the members. So they know ahead of time is my point.... and if they are to record just after the new year.. Keith already has that open along with the others Im sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-22 00:02 by IanBillen.

Date: December 22, 2017 00:29

Rocky Dijon

Roger that.... Thanks, Mate.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 22, 2017 00:41

Usually, January/February holiday time in Mustique and Turks...so no progress till March?
(Sounds like Brexit).

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 22, 2017 03:07

Guess it will be in the shops around Nov 23, 2018. They can focus on the UK Tour, Vault releases and have some time off..and sales will be good around that time.

and..it will give them nearly one year to do some proper recording etc.. for the new album.

i am sure it will be great !!
jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 22, 2017 05:10

lem motlow
georgelicks
The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.

13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time.

I always wondered if the band themselves realized it,if they do that’s a start.the first step to solving a problem is knowing there is one.
You see when discussing bigger bang it’s always-“everyone wants it shorter but they all want different songs left off”.it doesn’t matter,when you have all weak material you don’t release the equivalent of a double album.there was a time they knew this without thinking, which is why black and blue is 8 songs and not 18.
It might help to ignore the goofy guy on the keyboards and the dude with the fake dreads when they say “great, fantastic , you got it”and maybe ask yourself what the guy who said”you sound like bloody status quo” would’ve thought.

Keith has stated the band have a great album left in them. Hoping it's the next studio release......smoking smiley

Date: December 22, 2017 08:32

corriecas
Guess it will be in the shops around Nov 23, 2018. They can focus on the UK Tour, Vault releases and have some time off..and sales will be good around that time.

and..it will give them nearly one year to do some proper recording etc.. for the new album.

i am sure it will be great !!
jeroen

I know.. they really need some solid recording time slots .. I mean heck ... they have been rushing this thing along and focusing on it like crazy just to get it out for us .. grinning smiley

smiling smiley))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-22 08:33 by IanBillen.

Date: December 22, 2017 09:14

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

Having demos, even really polished demos, isn't the same thing as saying there's an album ready to release. They have the material written, whether they have enough good material to call it an album is the question. I am just speculating, but I suspect by the time Universal listened to the work-in-progress and agreed to the contract extension last year, they knew they could (if need be) have Don Was work to finish everything on his own with either remixed outtakes replacing any weak or unfinished tracks or by having other hands complete overdubs under his guidance. This has to be an album that could be released if mortality prevented the band from completing it of their own accord. Don has been talking about two CDs of "recent" (as in last 25 years or so) outtakes for a very long time.

Do you remember where/when he said that? Other than the rumoured (a bv exclusive but he didn't make it up) "Memory Hotel" in 1999 I don't recall any specific mentions. Don Was did talk about outtakes when the Deluxe albums were released, even of Scarlett, hehe

--------------

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:31

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

Having demos, even really polished demos, isn't the same thing as saying there's an album ready to release. They have the material written, whether they have enough good material to call it an album is the question. I am just speculating, but I suspect by the time Universal listened to the work-in-progress and agreed to the contract extension last year, they knew they could (if need be) have Don Was work to finish everything on his own with either remixed outtakes replacing any weak or unfinished tracks or by having other hands complete overdubs under his guidance. This has to be an album that could be released if mortality prevented the band from completing it of their own accord. Don has been talking about two CDs of "recent" (as in last 25 years or so) outtakes for a very long time.[[/u]/quote]

Really?! Anyway, they have great stuff to work on (since Undercover sessions).

Date: December 22, 2017 18:39

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I understand about demos, Mick's 40 demos, which it seems they haven't recorded. But they haven't been doing demos as a band, they've recording. They have been recording an album. They do have songs. But they're so damn wishy washy in how they choose to express it - I'm leaving Ronnie's quotes out of this because he's such a tart.

Mick: (We'll finish the album) but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope (next year)... I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them. Maybe not quite as much harmonica!

Mick makes it sound like they've got some bottoms down by saying "I was working on it quite recently".

Keith: I've got three songs and they‘re dynamite... We did (record new songs) but they're still being worked on. (Blue & Lonesome won't be the last album). There will be more.

Keith says they've recorded - but the bit about Mick's 40 demos makes it seem like they wrote some tunes together and cut them and then Mick says 'Oh, right, by the way I've got 40 demos' and then it's The Return Of The Slagging.

So cue up...
Charlie: We went back in recently, doing some new stuff...

That was from October of 2016. [timeisonourside.com]

So then it's more tooth extracting... the effort these guys are making to explain what's going on is just exhausting. I don't know how they can do it.

Keith Richards (Late February 2017): New Stones album

It was quite fun. We did a whole week in a little room, slowly putting a new album together.

That is not exactly clear, is it. Based on the past, it's easy to think that Keith and Mick are in a little room recording... demos.

Mick Jagger (February 26, 2017): The Stones album in the works

I'm working on new songs now.

That's not "I'm working on the album recordings" that's "I'm working on demos" or, I dunno, two solo singles with Ronnie and Charlie.

Charlie Watts (April 25, 2017): The Rolling Stones' next album

We've been in the studio since (recording Blue & Lonesome), doing the rest of this (new) album.

Thank you Charlie. So insightful. At least we know it's "work on the album" speak.

It gets even more tedious:

Mick Jagger (July 2017): The Stones album in progress

We've been in the studio recording. All new songs. We've been working on that, and we'll keep working on it until we get it right.

Has there ever been this much hype about something that hasn't happened?

Keith Richards & Mick Jagger (November 2017): Work on the next Stones' album

Keith: We're working on some new (material) now. There's a new album in the works. We're slowly putting it together.

Now I want to come out with another really good original album. That’s what I’m working on… So now I’m trying to pick up the threads on what we were doing before the blues album.

Mick: It’s going good. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it. But you know there’s ways to go but we’re still working on it. It sounds good, it sounds really good.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: December 22, 2017 19:46

gotdablouse
Do you remember where/when he said that? Other than the rumoured (a bv exclusive but he didn't make it up) "Memory Hotel" in 1999 I don't recall any specific mentions. Don Was did talk about outtakes when the Deluxe albums were released, even of Scarlett, hehe

He said something about two CDs worth of recent outtakes (I believe STEEL WHEELS onwards) in either 2010 or 2011 while promoting EXILE or SOME GIRLS as you note. And yes, there was the alleged MEMORY HOTEL project in 1999 which was also supposed to be two CDs. In more recent times, Keith said some of the new material being worked on was ideas that went back "15 years or more." Before Keith's statement, I was told by someone who might actually know that Don Was suggested mixing some of the better, more finished outtakes with some of the new material to make the album. It is my own speculation that this is Universal's safety net if the album becomes a posthumous one. We'll see.

Date: December 22, 2017 19:53

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I understand about demos, Mick's 40 demos, which it seems they haven't recorded. But they haven't been doing demos as a band, they've recording. They have been recording an album. They do have songs. But they're so damn wishy washy in how they choose to express it - I'm leaving Ronnie's quotes out of this because he's such a tart.

Mick: (We'll finish the album) but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope (next year)... I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them. Maybe not quite as much harmonica!

Mick makes it sound like they've got some bottoms down by saying "I was working on it quite recently".

Keith: I've got three songs and they‘re dynamite... We did (record new songs) but they're still being worked on. (Blue & Lonesome won't be the last album). There will be more.

Keith says they've recorded - but the bit about Mick's 40 demos makes it seem like they wrote some tunes together and cut them and then Mick says 'Oh, right, by the way I've got 40 demos' and then it's The Return Of The Slagging.

So cue up...
Charlie: We went back in recently, doing some new stuff...

That was from October of 2016. [timeisonourside.com]

So then it's more tooth extracting... the effort these guys are making to explain what's going on is just exhausting. I don't know how they can do it.

Keith Richards (Late February 2017): New Stones album

It was quite fun. We did a whole week in a little room, slowly putting a new album together.

That is not exactly clear, is it. Based on the past, it's easy to think that Keith and Mick are in a little room recording... demos.

Mick Jagger (February 26, 2017): The Stones album in the works

I'm working on new songs now.

That's not "I'm working on the album recordings" that's "I'm working on demos" or, I dunno, two solo singles with Ronnie and Charlie.

Charlie Watts (April 25, 2017): The Rolling Stones' next album

We've been in the studio since (recording Blue & Lonesome), doing the rest of this (new) album.

Thank you Charlie. So insightful. At least we know it's "work on the album" speak.

It gets even more tedious:

Mick Jagger (July 2017): The Stones album in progress

We've been in the studio recording. All new songs. We've been working on that, and we'll keep working on it until we get it right.

Has there ever been this much hype about something that hasn't happened?

Keith Richards & Mick Jagger (November 2017): Work on the next Stones' album

Keith: We're working on some new (material) now. There's a new album in the works. We're slowly putting it together.

Now I want to come out with another really good original album. That’s what I’m working on… So now I’m trying to pick up the threads on what we were doing before the blues album.

Mick: It’s going good. Just this afternoon I’m going to listen to some of the multi-tracks of that and we’ve done a lot of work on it. But you know there’s ways to go but we’re still working on it. It sounds good, it sounds really good.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Re Charlie: Maybe this means that he has finished his tracking?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 22, 2017 22:47

Maindefender
Keith has stated the band have a great album left in them.

So let's hope it doesn't just stay in them but will eventually see the light of day grinning smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 24, 2017 06:40

Per the NY Post, Keith saw the Hamilton play in London 2 nights ago. Maybe in the last week he had another session with Mick?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...110111112113114115116117118119120...LastNext
Current Page: 115 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home